Panasonic EZ27 question on adding channels manually - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After auto-programming the channels on the recorder, is there any way to add digital channels to the list manually?
My problem is that when my antenna is pointed in one direction, I can auto-program most channels. I then have to move my antenna to another direction to receive the others, but I can't seem to add them manually into the list.

Any insight will be appreciated,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Try entering the channel manually. After the channel tunes in, see if it shows up on the channel list under setup. If it does, then select "added".

Good luck.

RG
post #3 of 14 Old 08-16-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

That worked, I was trying to tune in the parent channel (ie 7-1) instead of the broadcasting channel (38). Thanks.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 AM

For digital channels I have tried entering in the actual channel after auto programming and have not been able to receive the channel. I did a test by disconnecting the antenna, doing a channel scan to clear out the channel data, reconnecting the antenna, and then trying to manually tune one of the digital channels that auto scan had previously picked up. I was not able to tune the digital channel in using the broadcast channel, virtual channel, or any other combination. This unit did not see the channel during auto scan, it can not receive the digital channel. I have had no trouble with the analog channels.

Is there something I am missing? If not this unit is going back. Unusable here in a fringe area where the antenna needs rotated to get all of the channels.

Edit: I was able to manually enter the channel in after some more effort. It seems if you scan with the antenna disconnected, the unit defaults to cable input from antenna input. I rescanned with the antenna connected for part of the analog and then added my known good digital channels. Everything worked as it should.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM

The software supporting the digital tuner only allows channels to be entered during scanning. The manual feature of entering channels only applies to analog broadcast. If you lived on the Northern border and wanted to receive both American and Canadian digital broadcast you would need to setup two antennas and run the lines into a duplex to combine the signals onto one coaxial cable. You could try installing a multi-directional antenna, but I never found them to work very well unless you lived close to the transmitters.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Correct, I have never seen a digital tuner device allow you to manually enter in the digital channel, unless it found the channel during it's channel scan.
I don't know why this is the case, but it's not unique to this device. All my digital tv's I've used are the same.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I've added digital channels to my Philips 3575 with the Manual Channel Preset menu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, but had those channels been found previously by the 3575, and then you had deleted them? I think if they are found during a channel scan, they if you delete them, I believe only then can they be added back.
I guess I could do a channel scan on my 3575 w/o antenna hooked up, then try to add some of my local digital channels that were not found in the scan. I guess I've never really tried it on the 3575. I know on my Panny DVDR, Panny TV, and Vizio TV, a person cannot add a digital channel, unless it's been found during the channel scan. I think it's a real pain. Our local PBS channel has a tenancy to go off the air for brief periods. The only way to get it back, is to do a rescan on the device, which add's all the unwanted channels back! A real pain.
I assumed all digital tuner's were the same...Do you want me to varify on my 3575?
post #9 of 14 Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yes, but had those channels been found previously by the 3575, and then you had deleted them? I think if they are found during a channel scan, they if you delete them, I believe only then can they be added back.
I guess I could do a channel scan on my 3575 w/o antenna hooked up, then try to add some of my local digital channels that were not found in the scan. I guess I've never really tried it on the 3575. I know on my Panny DVDR, Panny TV, and Vizio TV, a person cannot add a digital channel, unless it's been found during the channel scan. I think it's a real pain. Our local PBS channel has a tenancy to go off the air for brief periods. The only way to get it back, is to do a rescan on the device, which add's all the unwanted channels back! A real pain.
I assumed all digital tuner's were the same...Do you want me to varify on my 3575?

No, the channels I added were NOT found on the intial auto-scan, and I had NOT previously deleted them.

|
|
|
post #10 of 14 Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Some digital receivers will allow you to do it, and they will even keep the channel programmed in. But you often have to enter in the actual, digital channel number, not the PSIP assigned one. It will register as the PSIP channel number then, once it "takes".
post #11 of 14 Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

wabjxo

"I've added digital channels to my Philips 3575 with the Manual Channel Preset menu."

Well I just did a test and I cannot add digital channels to my 3575.
What I did was this: Manually deleted ch17 digital, which included 17.1-17.5
I also deleted ch23 digital, which included 23.1 & 23.2
I then tried typing in 17.1 and only got a blue screen. Then I went into DTV channel setup and typed 17 and checked the ADD box. It only went to a blue screen. I tried 23, with the same results.
There was no way that I could add the digital channels. Then I tried a channel scan, and it found all the 17's along with the 23's.
So I stand by my initial comment that digital channels cannot be manually added, unless by a rescan.
Not sure why you are seeing different, but I believe you have cable, while only have OTA. Maybe that's why?

On a side note, I have Insignia LCD TV, that seems to do a automatic digital channel scan, all by itself. All the sudden I will have an extra digital channel in the scan list. But if I delete the channel, I cannot add it back, unless I do a channel rescan. I really like that feature, my Vizio and Panny LCD do not do this auto rescan, so I would never know there were new digital channels out there.

I got it. If I add the real channel 35(not the virtual 11.1) I can add the channel. Then it also adds all the . channels.
I'm currently testing my Panny for the timer bug, so I dont want to power it up to check it out right now, but I will try later this eve. to see if I can add the real channel vs the virtual ones on it.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

I own 3 ATSC/QAM digital tuner equipped devices, a Vizio HDTV, a LG DVD recorder, and a Durabrand cheapo 13 inch standard definition tv. Each behaves differently on this issue. The Vizio will not tune any digital channels not found on a scan, and digital channels must be tuned using the virtual channel number, not the actual RF channel. The LG DVD recorder will allow direct entry on unscanned digital channels, as well as tuning by RF channel#. I have only used it with cable. Back when Bright House carried on demand channels unscrambled, I could use the LG's tuner to search for "wild feeds". The Durabrand tv, primarily used over the air outdoors, has a really strange way of handling this issue. I have never had the opportunity to try an unscanned channel, but I have tried tuning digital channels using the actual RF channel number. It will allow this, but amazingly it will only tune the primary channel. Other subchannels can't be tuned this way. For example, here in Bakersfield KGET-DT RF channel 25 carries NBC on virtual channel 17-1 and CW on virtual channel 17-2. I can select NBC by entering either 17-1 or 25-1, but 25-2 will not tune CW. Instead, the primary channel of NBC will tune. I assume it would work the same way for channels not found during a scan.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #13 of 14 Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

To answer the OP, it is NOT possible to add a digital channel(by either using the real channel, or virtual channel) unless the unit sees the channel during a channel scan.
I verified this by hooking up a poor antenna to my EZ Panny. It found several digital channels but not all in my area. I then hooked up my rooftop antenna, but was unable to add either the real or virtual channel for the missing ones. After I did a channel rescan, they were all back.
This is not how the Philips 3575 works, as Wabjxo noted. On that DVDR, you can enter unscanned digital channels by, as I found out, entering in the "real" channel. One more plus for the 3575, and one more - for the Panny's
If it weren't for the PQ of my EZ, it would be out the window, and onto the concrete patio below
post #14 of 14 Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

An update on Durabrand tv's. It will tune a digital channel not found on a scan. Bright House of Bakersfield just added FOXHD about a month ago. It is on RF channel 22 and maps to 46-1. I hooked the Durabrand tv to cable and entered 22-1. It tuned the digital FOX channel, also indicating on screen that it is virtual channel 46-1. At that point it could only be tuned by entering 22-1, not 46-1. I went into the "digital setup" menu, then "add/delete", and was able to add the new channel. Now it can be tuned with either 46-1 or 22-1. For now RF channel 22 has only one minor channel. If Bright House ever adds another unscrambled minor channel to RF channel 22, I will have to rescan (a major time consuming operation on this tv) to get it, as the tuner can only receive one minor channel per major channel without scanning. This surely wasn't deliberately designed. I assume either it is supposed to be able to tune all minor channels of an unscanned major channel and a design error prevents it, or it isn't supposed to get any unscanned digital channels and somehow it accidentally is able to get the first minor channel of each major channel.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page