Toshiba XS55 - Enabling slinbox like performance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both the Toshiba XS54 and XS55 offer networked streaming video as a feature set of its Network Navi capabilities. Similar to a slingbox. This is very easy to set up within a home network. The challenge has been to set it up for streaming outside the home network. What follows is how to enable "slingbox like" video streaming capabilities for streaming outside of the home network with a Toshiba XS55 (or XS54 DVD recorder). Meaning to anywhere there is an internet connection.

Gear and tools used:

- Toshiba XS55 DVD recorder (XS54 works too)
- Netgear wireless router
- Mozilla Firefox
- Quicktime Player

As mentioned setting up the XS55 Network Navi is relatively simple. It must be set up and performing without problems first in order to be able to extend slingbox like capabilities outside of the home network.

Toshiba uses Quicktime Player for its streaming player. To stream outside of the home network Quicktime Player must be setup for transport on port 80.

Here's how to setup up Quicktime Player to use port 80 for transport:

1. Open Quicktime player. Then click Edit -> Preferences -> Quicktime Preferences.
2. Once in Quicktime Preferences click the Advanced tab.
3. At Transport Setup click Custom. Choose HTTP and Port 80.

Here's how to set up the other things necessary for "slingbox like" capabilities (for streaming both inside and outside a home network):

1. When setting up Network Navi in the Toshiba use a fixed IP address. In this case I used 192.168.1.55. This will keep the IP address of the XS55 constant - fixed. Do not use the DHCP option.
2. Make note of the internet IP address of your broadband internet connection. This can be found in the setup menus of your router. In my case the Netgear router. You will need this when browsing to the XS55 from an internet connection outside of your home network.
3. Setup the XS55 as a DMZ server in your router setup. Meaning outside of the routers firewall. In my case the IP address of the server (XS55) is 192.168.1.55. This was a simple process with the Netgear router. It should be simple with all routers.
4. Jump on to an internet connection. Navigate to the XS55 by entering the IP address of your broadband internet connection (from step 2) into the navigation window of the Firefox browser. You can also google this address and it will give you an option to navigate to the address.
5. A login window will appear. Enter the user name and password.
6. You’re in.

Security should be a concern. Although in my mind not a huge one. If somebody hacks into your XS55 about all they can do is play around with the XS55. There still remains a firewall between the XS55 and your home network. And the Toshiba allows for both a unique user ID and password. Get creative when choosing these. The combinations are essentially endless.

Also, when inside the home network you should access the XS55 by using its local IP address. In my case 192.168.1.55. When outside the home network the IP address of your broadband internet connection must be used (actually when inside the home network both the local and broadband IP addresses can be used. But it makes no sense to use the broadband IP address if you are home - except for testing perhaps).

Not only can you now stream video (like slingbox) anywhere but you can also take advantage of all of the other Network Navi features. Like scheduling recordings using TVGOS remotely for example. You can also edit titles, content, etc. Plus of course watch video remotely from (in my case) an SA8300HD cable STB. The XS55 has an IR blaster which controls the STB. Or watch content recorded on the HDD. Or maybe a DVD that is in the DVD drive of the XS55. Or any of the line inputs of the XS55. You can be streaming (watching) live TV remotely and start recording by clicking record on the virtual remote. And timeslip remotely.

Not bad.

I’m happy I finally figured it out. As always its very simple when looking back.

I created a new thread for this as a placeholder for anybody who wants to give it a shot and comment (this may get lost in a general thread). My guess is that there aren't too many users who can take advantage of this. But it may help someone who it does apply to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's an example of streaming outside the home network - like slingbox. In this case it is streaming live TV and the "slinging" is being done by the Toshiba XS55 DVD recorder. Who would have thunk it. "Slinging" from a DVD recorder as a feature set. I edited out the IP address in the navigation window - for obvious reasons!

Example of expanding the Quicktime Player window (1080x720 resolution) within Network Navi for full screen streaming:

As had been said about the Toshiba XS series in the past - very powerful.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Nextoo, you are a genius! And, your posts back in April prompted me to buy this unit. So thank you for all. It has made my life much easier, and my older Panasonic EH100 has gone on the shelf. It is painful to even use the Panasonic now that I have the XS-55.

As for streaming outside the home network, I've done everything you mentioned. XS-55 shows up on the internet. All functions are there (library, title list, setup page) except for the net monitor (via quicktime). Whenever I choose net monitor I see the quicktime logo with the pulsing line, and the word "preparing," but then it eventually says "net monitor not available."

I think it has something to do with the quicktime setting you mentioned. Is the "transport" setting to be made in the quicktime player on the remote computer, or a computer inside the home network? I assume it should be done on the quicktime player on the outside computer. Second, does the setting of "80" within the quicktime player correspond with a network setting of the XS-55 itself? I may have changed or adjusted this setting in the XS-55 in my earlier attempts to do exactly what you are addressing.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Both the Toshiba XS54 and XS55 offer networked streaming video as a feature set of its Network Navi capabilities.

Instead of streaming, can you just transfer/download the actual file(s) to
a computer?

(sure, I guess you could record the stream, but that doesn't guarantee there's no loss..)
Old 08-24-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Instead of streaming, can you just transfer/download the actual file(s) to
a computer?

(sure, I guess you could record the stream, but that doesn't guarantee there's no loss..)

mattack - I love your posts but sometimes I just have to scratch my head.

This is a "slingbox like" feature. Not a recording feature.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurh View Post

Nextoo, you are a genius! And, your posts back in April prompted me to buy this unit. So thank you for all. It has made my life much easier, and my older Panasonic EH100 has gone on the shelf. It is painful to even use the Panasonic now that I have the XS-55.

As for streaming outside the home network, I've done everything you mentioned. XS-55 shows up on the internet. All functions are there (library, title list, setup page) except for the net monitor (via quicktime). Whenever I choose net monitor I see the quicktime logo with the pulsing line, and the word "preparing," but then it eventually says "net monitor not available."

I think it has something to do with the quicktime setting you mentioned. Is the "transport" setting to be made in the quicktime player on the remote computer, or a computer inside the home network? I assume it should be done on the quicktime player on the outside computer. Second, does the setting of "80" within the quicktime player correspond with a network setting of the XS-55 itself? I may have changed or adjusted this setting in the XS-55 in my earlier attempts to do exactly what you are addressing.

Thanks. I chuckle when I read all of the lamenting posts about how great the european and japanese models are and yet nobody bought the XS series Toshibas when they were here in the states. "Ease of use" was what everybody wanted here in the US. And price. "Be careful what you wish for" I thought. Just look at the US 2007 models - again be careful what you wish for.

The XS55 listed at $699. It really had no chance in the US but now I read posts about $1,000 japanaese and european models that p.o. people because they are not here in the US. Go figure.

Yes it is probably your Quicktime Player settings on the PC you are trying to use outside of the home network. The one you are using to connect to the XS55 remotely from the internet. Have you set the transport settings to port 80 and HTTP in Quicktime? Once you get Quicktime set up right on a PC you can use it to access the XS55 from either inside or outside your home network. Using either the local or internet address - depending on where the PC is at any given time. For example in my case with my notebook it can be used inside or outside the home network.

Remember the XS55 is set up as a server which appears as independent of your home network from the outside.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:43 AM

Yes I've set quicktime as you describe on the remote computer. Still no luck viewing video from the internet. Viewing video from inside the network has always been fine.

I'm wondering whether I changed some setting on the XS-55 itself (the "server") that is affecting the ability to stream on the internet.

The only thing not working is the net monitor - all the other features are available from the internet. Even my "set a recording by e-mail" is working fine.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

arthurh - not sure. If Quicktime is set up correctly then it has to be something else in the PC. Anti virus software or some sort of software firewall perhaps. I don't think it is anything in the Navi. I looked through it again and there aren't any settings I could find that relate to this.

I run avast anti virus software. And in my case the windows firewall is turned on in the PC. In your case it looks like something is perhaps shutting down Quicktime streaming video on port 80 in the PC though. Seems odd but it looks like that is what is happening. What anti virus and firewall programs are you running?

One thing I noticed in your post. You wrote:

"Whenever I choose net monitor I see the Quicktime logo with the pulsing line, and the word "preparing," but then it eventually says "net monitor not available." To be honest I've not seen the alert you mention. In my case (prior to setting up Quicktime for transport on port 80) I would see the Quicktime logo with pulsing line and then things would just stop - but no "preparing" or "net monitor not available". What version of Quicktime are you running? What browser are you using?

I posted above how simple things look when looking back. And in this case this seems to be the case. With internet Net Monitoring the XS55 is simply a Quicktime video server with an internet address. There's nothing in the XS55 that should shut down the video stream. So my guess is it has to be a setting or conflict in the PC.

Post some more info and I'm sure things will get straightened out!

And make sure one more time you have Quicktime set up correctly. You need to set transpot to both HTTP and port 80. Take another look and make sure you do not have it set to UDP.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes I've set quicktime as you describe on the remote computer. Still no luck viewing video from the internet. Viewing video from inside the network has always been fine.

I'm wondering whether I changed some setting on the XS-55 itself (the "server") that is affecting the ability to stream on the internet.

The only thing not working is the net monitor - all the other features are available from the internet. Even my "set a recording by e-mail" is working fine.

I was wondering if you had any luck getting the Net Monitor to work. I set up my system last night and every thing works fine except the Monitor. I'm getting the same message "Net Monitor Not Available" even though it works fine when connected directly (wired) to the network. I have the settings correct in QuickTime also. I tried Netscape and all works fine except the monitor. If you had any luck getting it working i would appreciate the help. I'll continue to work on it also. I tried disabling Norton Firewall but that didn't solve it. Now, if we could only get Net Monitor to play in Full Screen mode...

This is really great being able to access it from the network. Thanks again Nextoo for the work and help!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I was wondering if you had any luck getting the Net Monitor to work. I set up my system last night and every thing works fine except the Monitor. I'm getting the same message "Net Monitor Not Available" even though it works fine when connected directly (wired) to the network. I have the settings correct in QuickTime also. I tried Netscape and all works fine except the monitor. If you had any luck getting it working i would appreciate the help. I'll continue to work on it also. I tried disabling Norton Firewall but that didn't solve it. Now, if we could only get Net Monitor to play in Full Screen mode...

This is really great being able to access it from the network. Thanks again Nextoo for the work and help!

So you're able to get to the XS55 from outside the network and everything works except the monitor? This is the second report of this. Andf it sounds like everything is set up right. Meaning having the XS55 set up in the DMZ using a fixed IP address and getting to it from the internet using the IP address of your home internet connection. Is this how you are doing it? I'm having no trouble and I've been able to do it with two different routers. A Netgear and a Dlink. What brand router are you using? There may be a switch in the router settings that needs to be adjusted.

Also to set up a full screen net monitor you can do this in the setup screen of the network navi. Look in the pic. It's the "Size of video window" setting. In this case it is set for 1080x720. The setting shown is for full screen.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

So you're able to get to the XS55 from outside the network and everything works except the monitor?

Yes, I have my Tosh on a wired system with a Dlink EBR-2310 router. I'm accessing the recorder with my laptop using a wireless network (not sure where it's coming from but i have a connection, all i know is i'm connecting to a Linksys unencrypted system) and everything works fine except the Net Monitor. It keeps trying to connect but keeps coming back as Net Monitor not available. It does work fine when i connect directly to my wired network. I've looked through the router setting but didn't see anything i could figure out but i don't have a complete understanding of all the advanced feature settings on it. I've played with some of the settings but haven't been successful.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess i should of asked, are you using the latest firmware in your recorder? Mine was updated when i sent it in for hard drive replacement.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I attached a wireless router to my system and was able to connect using the Net Monitor. But i had to use the enternal IP address to get to it. So Im not sure what to think. The outside connection i was attaching too was very low, only 1 bar. I don't know if that would stop it. Later, when my brother gets home i'm going to have him try to access it from his computer at his house over the internet.
As far as the full screen goes, the pictures you posted in the earlier posts never showed up until today. i was shocked when i saw them.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I attached a wireless router to my system and was able to connect using the Net Monitor. But i had to use the enternal IP address to get to it. So Im not sure what to think. The outside connection i was attaching too was very low, only 1 bar. I don't know if that would stop it. Later, when my brother gets home i'm going to have him try to access it from his computer at his house over the internet.
As far as the full screen goes, the pictures you posted in the earlier posts never showed up until today. i was shocked when i saw them.

I think this is good news right? So have you been able to get net monitor working using the external IP address?

The dlink I am using has the same setup screens as your model. I have not been able to get net monitor to fail regardless of any setting I tried. So at this point I can't recommend any router settings.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

After playing around with this for a while this is what my problems are.
Sometimes i can get Net Monitor to connect when i go through a wireless router i attach to my system. From the outside network i can't.

I've been having my brother try to connect from his house and he gets the logon screen and gets through that but then it starts to load and he keeps getting "Timed Out" I get that sometimes too when going through the wireless network i'm picking up from "somewhere" around my house but i have a low connection so i figured it was that. My brother is on cable internet so his speed shouldn't be a problem but he stills get the Timed Out. Is there a setting in the router that i haven't found about timing out after a certain amount of time?

I'm on a mission to get this to work..... I really need to educate myself more on network and router settings. Trial and error always works to learn! Norton Ghost is my best friend........
Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 PM

Guys - I never got it to work outside my home network (i.e, true "slingbox").

I think I have traced it down to the fact that some internet providers block the port numbers needed for the unit to send the quicktime video over the internet. My provider is Comcast and I suspect that this is the issue. I have tried changing the network settings in the setup menu for the unit, I've tried changing the quicktime player settings on my remote computer, and nothing seems to work. Nextoo, I think you may be fortunate enough to have a high-speed provider that doesn't care about blocking any ports.

At the end of the day, I don't care about the lack of the slingbox feature because (a) I have a slingbox anyway (works fine); and (b) this unit is by far the best DVD recorder I have ever owned, with all the other features it has.

One of the best features that has been largely overlooked - I just can't go back to typing in DVD titles using the remote and the weird "on-screen" keyboard you are forced to use with Panasonic and Pioneer. I type in all titles on my computer using the Toshiba's Network Navi feature - it saves me enormous amounts of time.

And the editing features are fantastic - even though there is a learning curve. I don't have to waste time deleting commercials and segments like I do on the Panasonic - this occurs naturally through the playlist editing feature. I like the fact that you can mark chapters (first step of editing) on one title even though you may be recording another title onto the HDD at the very same time. The multi-tasking is great - you just can't do that on a Panasonic.

With all of the features of this unit, I would find it painful to use my Panasonic E80 or EH100 again - in fact I haven't since I found this unit! Thanks again nextoo for pointing me this direction - couldn't be happier - and I also have an XS54 and XS55 in the same home network.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

arthurh - could be. But the port being used is port 80. And Quicktime video is all over the internet on port 80 which is used for HTTP. But maybe comcast can shut down Quicktime on port 80 HTTP. Not sure.

Maybe try checking your Quicktime settings one more time. Quicktime must be set up for HTTP on port 80 on the receiving PC.

Open Quicktime then -> edit -> preferences -> Quicktime player preferences -> a new window will open. Click the Advanced tab then -> Transport setup down arrow -> select custom. A small window will open. Set transport protocol to HTTP on port 80. The default is UDP which will not work for this application.

I too had the same symptoms. Meaning all functions worked except for net monitor. By setting my PC to allow for incomming quicktime video via HTTP on port 80 the net monitor function sprang to life.

Another thing might be some sort of software firewall being run. I am not running one. No Zone Alarm or anything like that. If one is being run then maybe Quicktime HTTP on port 80 needs to be authorized. Again not sure.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I think I may have figured out what one problem might be - software firewall settings.

I was able to make the net monitor fail. I set the following setting to "on" in Windows firewall - "Don't allow exceptions". Go to control panel -> security center -> manage setting for windows firewall - a new window will pop up then -> when "don't allow exceptions" is checked net monitor will fail. When it is unchecked net monitor works fine.

If you check and uncheck this option when testing you have to restart net navi each time you make a change.

Not sure if this a fix in every case but it does show that a softwre firewall setting can have an impact.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more thing to add on the Windows firewall settings. If you want to leave the "Don't allow exceptions" checked in order for increased security you can allow for an exception that let's Quicktime (net monitor) work under Firefox on port 80 using HTTP - and only with the IP address of the XS55. Which is a good thing.

Do this. In the Windows firewall window there are three tabs. The "Don't allow exceptions" is on the General tab. In this case click the Exceptions tab. Highlight "Firefox". Click edit. A new window will pop up. Now click "change scope". Then click "custom list". Now enter the IP address of the "outside the network" address of the XS55 - Your internet IP address. Mine looks like this - 45.234.78.456/255.255.255.255 in the custom list window. My real IP address in this case has been changed to protect the innocent.

If you use Opera this may not work. My guess is you would have to set up Opera using a similar approach.

It looks like for some reason net monitor is tripping some sort of security issue when trying to engage Quicktime. Including Firefox as an exception using the IP address of the XS55 when it is in the DMZ seems to fix this.

I think the easiest thing to try is shutting down Windows firewall and test net monitor. If net monitor works then set up Windows firewall similar to what I note above. If you are using some other firewall software there should be similar settings that can be adjusted.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At the end of the day, I don't care about the lack of the slingbox feature because (a) I have a slingbox anyway (works fine); and (b) this unit is by far the best DVD recorder I have ever owned, with all the other features it has.

I totaly agree that this is the best DVD Recorder made... I just wish Toshiba would have continued the line.

I'm still going to play around with the slingbox feature and see if i can get the Monitor to work. I'll do some firewall changes as Nextoo mentioned. Pretty slick feature even if it wasn't designed for it. My email timer scheduling works great.

One problem i still have is the keyboard feature. When i create a disk and go to name it the Keyboard window opens but when i type the name in and press enter nothing happens. This started after the firmware update and i still haven't figured that out.

But i still wouldn't give up the Tosh for anything. Actually, i would like another XS54 or XS55 but haven't been able to find one. If anyone sees any online please let me know. I've checked the refurb sites that i know of and they no longer have any.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
May be old news or not relevant, but I just downloaded a Windows XP update, KB904942 (151K), that fixes "HTTP Authentication Issues" when when upgrading from IE6 to IE7.

I remember some people long ago posting they couldn't get the Toshiba network to work with IE7, but when they dropped back to IE6, everything OK.

This might be something to consider for anyone still using/trying to use Windows XP and IE7 and/or IE6?

OOPS, it's mail server related...prob. not relevant?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.