New Walmart HDD/DVDR-Magnavox H2080MW8 - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 943 Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gastrof,
I would suggest checking Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi web sites for their 'video recorder' specific models. They will be lazier drives in general, designed for long 'on' times, and low power consumption with less heat dissipation. You can get to 320G with almost no increase in power consumption. Once you find the model you want, complete out to the last characters, do a google search for that specific model.
You can of course get a non-video specific HDD and will be happy with the performance, save a few bucks over the video model, and put more load on the PS. Your choice.
tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 943 Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 View Post

...You can of course get a non-video specific HDD and will be happy with the performance, save a few bucks over the video model, and put more load on the PS. Your choice.
tom

Other options, discussed previously in the main (3576/2160) thread are:
  • 2.5" laptop HDD
  • Western Digital Caviar Green-series 3.5" HDD
  • External setup with its own power source

These are all good options, IMHO. Most will require the IDE / SATA adapters, but at least (once you have them) you'll future-proof your rig. IDE drives won't be available for too much longer.
post #933 of 943 Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM

You are probably right about EIDE or IDE using the parallel interface. The reason I pointed to the MFG sites was that these would be drop-in replacements with double or quadruple the capacity of the 80/160 HDDs. No need to search for a compatible SATA-PATA converter, cables, male-male or F-F fittings, etc blah-de-blah. Unscrew, unplug, remove. Install, re-cable, screw into mount. No routing changes, no making wires 'stretch' or scrunch up. And you get to keep the power level near to the original specs.
All the PCs I own save one are PATA. Guess I'll have to start looking for more geek stuff if (when) they die, or get new boxes. A couple years ago I thought SATA would push the ATA out of the way, but was told by a Fry's person that SATA had just not taken off. Coming up on 3 years ago, now that I think about it.
tom
post #934 of 943 Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 View Post

Gastrof,
I would suggest checking Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi web sites for their 'video recorder' specific models. They will be lazier drives in general, designed for long 'on' times, and low power consumption with less heat dissipation. You can get to 320G with almost no increase in power consumption. Once you find the model you want, complete out to the last characters, do a google search for that specific model.
You can of course get a non-video specific HDD and will be happy with the performance, save a few bucks over the video model, and put more load on the PS. Your choice.
tom

Is there evidence that going as high as 500GB (apparently the limit of the machines' software?) will harm the machine or overtax the power supply?

I'd like to go as high as possible, but not at the risk of shortening the life of the machine.
post #935 of 943 Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM

As far as I can tell, there have been no reported problems -- on this site -- with going to 500G drives. Some went with SATA notebook drives, some with 3.5 desktop style, both parallel IDE and SATA.
My thought was that you could get 2 or 4 times original capacity without taxing the power supply more than it was designed for, well, at least sold with. Funai or Magnavox or ZXY company that did the design spec'd certain capacities from the power supply, expecting to give normal life at normal draw with normal usage. Use more amps, tax the supply more; use a bigger drive drawing more amps, throw more heat under the hood.
The laptop drives certainly don't tax either power or heat dissipation, and the 320G video rated drive uses very similar amounts of power as the original 80 & 160G drives did, so would give off similar amounts of heat.
What have I missed?
tom
post #936 of 943 Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm....

Maybe I should stick with going up to only 320 in the 80, if I do this.

Now I gotta find the right one. (The one I was looking at on Best Buy's website was a 500.)
post #937 of 943 Old 08-23-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Typically, drives 250-500 use the same power.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #938 of 943 Old 08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

*sigh*

Too late. All gone at J&R.

post #939 of 943 Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Back at J&R, but "Limited quantity".
post #940 of 943 Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have a question.

I have had one of these 2080s for a while, and recently the DVD burner died, but it can still play DVD movies. Is the hard drive formatted to a special file type, or can it be hooked up to a computer with relative ease and pull the content off the disc for archival purpose?
post #941 of 943 Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmullet View Post

I have had one of these 2080s for a while, and recently the DVD burner died, but it can still play DVD movies. Is the hard drive formatted to a special file type, or can it be hooked up to a computer with relative ease and pull the content off the disc for archival purpose?

I'm confused, if the 2080 still plays DVDs, how is it that the DVD burner "died?"

You might want to try cleaning the DVD Drive rubber hub atop the spindle (turntable):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/12240_60#post_19647592

If the lens cleaning doesn't resolve the problem you might want to connect a 2080 output to the corresponding input on another recorder and play the material while the second recorder records the material in real time.

The short answer to your question about archiving to a compter is "NO." This matter has been addressed in detail many times in these pages.

A computer does not read the file system used by the 2080 nor does it capture or play back audio/video in the same format used by stand-alone DVD and HDD/DVD recorders.

(My Magnavox 2080 has been in heavy daily use since I upgraded it to a larger hard drive in March 2009.)

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #942 of 943 Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for reviving an old thread...

The 2080 is currently being discussed in the thread that involves all such machines by Funai, the ones that started out under the Philips name and after two models suddenly began appearing as Magnavoxes only.

It really might have been better to pose your question in that current thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575

Maybe you could repost over there, so this old thing can be left to die again.
post #943 of 943 Old 10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

It can be done in 2 ways: if you're such a perfectionist, please Check this post:

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080...

If not, just plug your "old" HDD into your a new 53x Magnavoy and then burn all the title to DVD. BTW your old disc will need an adapter to work. More info here:

Hardware Replacement & Upgrade
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page