New Walmart HDD/DVDR-Magnavox H2080MW8 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds good, try formatting the bigger drive to fat32 or UDF 1.02 like waxjbo suggested and see if it works.
I need to RMA my 3575 and if this one can use a bigger drive might be worth buying just to tide me over till it gets back in a few months. I really don't want to send it off but the tuner looses QAM faster and faster it seems lately and I loose programs on timer recordings, even if it was last left on a working digital channel. Sounds like so far at least this unit doesn't forget QAM channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Sounds good, try formatting the bigger drive to fat32 or UDF 1.02 like waxjbo suggested and see if it works.
I need to RMA my 3575 and if this one can use a bigger drive might be worth buying just to tide me over till it gets back in a few months. I really don't want to send it off but the tuner looses QAM faster and faster it seems lately and I loose programs on timer recordings, even if it was last left on a working digital channel. Sounds like so far at least this unit doesn't forget QAM channels.

Your 3575 tuner must be bad, or it's something in your feed, cuz my one unit that loses the "bonus" digital channels I get in my analog cable feed if I surf thru them really fast NEVER fails to show the last digital channel when first turned on or when doing a timer rec.

It would be really interesting if you got the new Magnavox and, in the same system environment, it either does the same or is rock solid! That would at least show if the Magnavox has an updated tuner (like 3575 replacement models)?
post #93 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it seems every unit has different quircks, what works for you almost never works for me, I tried it. My first one wouldn't scan past 119 so it went back, this one did, then promptly forgot all the QAM channels when I shut it down for the night.
I was waiting because they promised a fw update to fix the problem, then woosed out. Tempted to just try my luck at wally world on another one, I did buy the extended warranty through them. Also tempted to just buy a maggy like you said but spent plenty of money this month on toys allready....hmmmm...
post #94 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

The Magnavox is of course not HD quality but a marked improvement over the EZ17 and EZ47. I have no idea what Philips is doing but the improvement is extremely noticeable.

I would like to know also since I keep marveling at the Philips 3575's excellent PQ in recordings at even the longer reec modes...been wondering if they've perfected a new algorithm or something like that???
post #95 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Not sure where you're at in Oregon , but I just checked the WoodVillage Walmart and no Magnovox recorder with Hard Drive. I tried to get the guy to check his computer, but he didnt' seem to be too interested, said if they didn't have a sign for it on the shelf, they wouldnt be getting any in.

And since I havent seen in on the the WalMart.com site, doesnt look like I'll be able to pick one up. I'll have to check some other sources around here.

So far the Philips seems to be holding, only been a few days, but no problems with dropping digital channels yet. I have it connected to an Outside antenna for digital OTA, I have a dish connected via component to E1.

Oh, looks like build date (or pack date) is July 07.

You don't happen to have a Pioneer_Service disk do you? I'm trying to resurrect a PIO 531 that got corrupted hard drive. Only way to record is by pressing record on the run button. No timer settings menu avialable anymore.

Rick
post #96 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Liked: 10
would be nice if the manufacturers made the DVRs w/ atsc tuners but no hard drive. they would just have to provide a formatting system onboard, or just make it use standard pc formating. seems that this could reduce their production costs and give the consumer more options, and a lower price for the initial unit.

of course, how many average ppl would be willing, or able, to install their own hard drive!
post #97 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

I would like to know also since I keep marveling at the Philips 3575's excellent PQ in recordings at even the longer reec modes...been wondering if they've perfected a new algorithm or something like that???

I'm not sure. But the downrez'd PQ is very very good. And with sporting events which usually suffer when downrez'd because of motion and the small detail. As I mentioned much better than what I am seeing with two Panny EZ models I have.

I'm sure both the Philips 3575 and the Magnavox are using the same tuner. I'm impressed.

For my intended use the Magnavox is a keeper. I wanted something that could be used for chase play when my cableco HD STB was busy doing something else. I can of course tell the difference in PQ when right on top of the display when comparing it to HD. But when at a normal viewing distance (12-15ft on my case) the Magnavox is stunning. But the key again is the exceptional PQ with sporting events. I keep toggling between the HDTV tuner input and the Magnavox input and continue to be surprised.

I've had great success recording downrez'd HD from my HD STB to a DVD recorder. But this has mostly been movies that do not offer the difficulties sporting events present. Philips/Magnavox/Funai have definitely figured something out. Unless for some crazy reason it is something specific with my setup. And others may not see it. Regardless. I'm not complaining.
post #98 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

My unit is one of the first 3 the Wood village Walmart got as far as the 3575 and is a April build, I'm in midcounty portland area so pretty close to Wood Village and probably you as well. Used to live there when I was a teen as a matter of fact. I also looked at the Walmart on Holgate area, no go, haven't looked at the one out by Sandy boulevard yet, and some of the Washington state ones on the border may have them. Played the same game while waiting for the 3575 to show up, I all ready tried the Polaroid 0160 and it's tuner was unstable so it went back after trying 3 units.
post #99 of 943 Old 10-21-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

The Magnavox QAM tuner blows away the QAM tuner in both my Panny EZ17 and EZ47. And in my opinion offers probably the best downrez'd HD to SD I have seen.

Well, that's two definite "For's" so far.

Wednesday the new Super Walmart opens - I'll definitely be there for the grand opening to check if they have it.

Keep us posted with your reviews.
post #100 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Can someone who has this unit post the Wal-Mart SKU number please? My local Wal-Mart did not have the unit and when I asked him to check other stores in the computer, he looked for the SKU on walmart.com (didn't find it) and told me he could only check other store inventory with the SKU number.

Thanks in advance!
post #101 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

It's 005381857049 on the receipt. 05381857049 on the box.

The UPC on the box also says: "EVENT NEWMODWK38 10/02/07"
post #102 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's 005381857049 on the receipt. 05381857049 on the box.

The UPC on the box also says: "EVENT NEWMODWK38 10/02/07"

Thanks nextoo! Off to make some calls...
post #103 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 AM

hey nextoo, i own this unit but have very limited time to mess with it, can i record to the hdd and watch a dvd? if so how? thanks. maybe someday i will be able to spend more tiime figuring out the functions, but for now it serves me well recording to hd when it is programmed. thanks for your help.
post #104 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

"I've been playing with my Philips 3575 for couple of evenings now. So far from what I've seen, the recording is always in 4:3 mode. So far I've recorded 3 different "modes" that all ended up as 4:3. One was 16:9, the result was 4:3 frame with sides sqished (I could expand to full screen using TV controls to stretch - though I can only do this with 480p resolution - not with upconverted 1080i). I could record 4:3 pan and scan - this gave 4:3 window, full height but sides were trunsated. I could record 4:3 letter-box, this recorded complete digital image, but "letterboxed" (basicly same as you get with non-anamorphic widescreen commercial DVD's - could stretch image side to side and top to bottom to fill screen. "

So if I recorder a 16:9 show on the Motorola or Phillips and than played it back over my Pioneer Plasma via Component the 16:9 image would display with sidebars? Can you stretch it with the Motorola or would I need to stretch it on my Pioneer TV?

"Also, on question of names on hard disk, so far as i can tell, the hard disk title is date-time-channel stamp, not picking up data from the broadcast VBI.
You can go in and rename after recording, and the renaming is fairly easy."

That sound livable!!

Chase play vs Pause Live play as per "There is no "pause live TV button" on Magna as on Philips. I have no idea how that button works or how it does that on the Philips- need Philips owner. Buttons are in different places as well. "

So is the Magnavox's chase play the same as Philips pause live? - I want to be able to pause the Magnavox , answer the phone, and than come back to the live show without missing anything.

How is the Magnavox heat wise - does it get hot? Does it have a fan?

Just curious as heat killed my inexpensive COBY DVD recorder.

What about the USB port? I thought I read that at least the Phillips had a USB port If so could someone hook a USB HD to the port and use it for extra recording space?

-DonB2
post #105 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DonB2, I think you'd be wise to seek another opinion (Nextoo?) on the recording of 16:9. There are several posts in the 3575 thread (see #2073-2075 here for latest) and ref. to other reviews in another thread that say it does record a 16:9 image if it is sent that way to the 3575.

The ref. to recording "modes" is misleading...there's no setting for recording modes involving aspect ratio. If there were, it would be for setting a flag and would be in the Recording menu. There's only a setting for TV aspect and it's in the Video menu, where I also set Progressive or Interlaced scan and Video Input (S-Video or Composite for E1).

AFAIK, Toshibas are the only DVDRs that have an aspect ratio setting in the Recording menu where you can specify which ratio you want the recording to be "flagged" as. Nextoo...?

When I record a 16:9 show from one of my 3575's digital HD channels, it shows up letterboxed since I set the TV aspect in the 3575 to 4:3 (the actual TV it's connected to). If I change the TV Aspect in the 3575's Video menu to 16:9 and play back the SAME 16:9 show on my 4:3 TV, it shows full screen with some of the ends cut off (logo in right corner is farther right, but still fully on screen). If I change my 3575's TV aspect to Pan and Scan, the same 16:9 show plays back tall and wider so the logo is not even on screen anymore.

P.S. I can see where some confusion *might* come from re: aspect ratio, recording, etc. The 3575, and prob. the Maggie too, has a Video menu in which the DEFAULT TV Aspect is 4:3. If someone with a 16:9 TV records a 16:9 show with the 3575's default setting, it will playback as if the attached TV were 4:3, and the thought would then be that the show was recorded in 4:3 aspect!?

Then, again, there's the distinct possibility that I'M the only one confused!?
post #106 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

"I've been playing with my Philips 3575 for couple of evenings now. So far from what I've seen, the recording is always in 4:3 mode. So far I've recorded 3 different "modes" that all ended up as 4:3. One was 16:9, the result was 4:3 frame with sides sqished (I could expand to full screen using TV controls to stretch - though I can only do this with 480p resolution - not with upconverted 1080i). I could record 4:3 pan and scan - this gave 4:3 window, full height but sides were trunsated. I could record 4:3 letter-box, this recorded complete digital image, but "letterboxed" (basicly same as you get with non-anamorphic widescreen commercial DVD's - could stretch image side to side and top to bottom to fill screen. "

So if I recorder a 16:9 show on the Motorola or Phillips and than played it back over my Pioneer Plasma via Component the 16:9 image would display with sidebars? Can you stretch it with the Motorola or would I need to stretch it on my Pioneer TV?

"Also, on question of names on hard disk, so far as i can tell, the hard disk title is date-time-channel stamp, not picking up data from the broadcast VBI.
You can go in and rename after recording, and the renaming is fairly easy."

That sound livable!!

Chase play vs Pause Live play as per "There is no "pause live TV button" on Magna as on Philips. I have no idea how that button works or how it does that on the Philips- need Philips owner. Buttons are in different places as well. "

So is the Magnavox's chase play the same as Philips pause live? - I want to be able to pause the Magnavox , answer the phone, and than come back to the live show without missing anything.

How is the Magnavox heat wise - does it get hot? Does it have a fan?

Just curious as heat killed my inexpensive COBY DVD recorder.

What about the USB port? I thought I read that at least the Phillips had a USB port If so could someone hook a USB HD to the port and use it for extra recording space?

-DonB2

I recorded a source HD 16:9 FB game to the Magna and it played back WS with top bars. (Comcast Explorer 8300 which passes WS via s-video out.)
It has an external fan- no heat up problems yet. The HDD does record and pause what is being recorded- yes you can go to the head.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #107 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy View Post

I recorded a source HD 16:9 FB game to the Magna and it played back WS with top bars. (Comcast Explorer 8300 which passes WS via s-video out.)
It has an external fan- no heat up problems yet. The HDD does record and pause what is being recorded- yes you can go to the head.

I am trying to understand your setup. Based on the Philips DVDR3575H, I would not expect the recorder to letterbox(add top bars), if the recorder is set for 16x9 and the program was 16x9.
Is the recoder set for 16x9?
Is your TV widescreen? If it is, have you ever tried connecting the S-Video out of the recorder directly into the TV. I would be concerned that the Comcast unit could be doing the letterboxing.

Since the Magnavox does not have HDMI, I would not expect the confusion that HDMI can create in aspect ratio. I tried using the HDMI, but I did not see any significant improvement in picture quality, and it limited the modes on my TV, so I disconnected it.

With my DVDR3575H, when I record in 16x9 mode and the program is 16x9, my TV set to widescreen sees a screen filling image(no bars top/bottom or sides) through the S-Video input. If the TV program was standard def broadcast on an HD station so the TV station added pillar bars(the bars on the side), that is the way it displays on my TV.
post #108 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nextoo,

"As fas as under the hood. It has a Western Digital HDD. It does not look like it is replaceable. I tried installing a WD 160GB HDD and although the machine booted fine when I tried to record I got a pop up saying it was not possible to record to the HDD. Same thing for a 500GB Seagate drive."

I wonder if you took the Western Digital it comes with and slap it into your desk top computer and than maybe you could tell what format it has.

-DoNb2
post #109 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

My local Wal-Mart in CT doesn't have any yet & when I asked one of the guys in the video dept. about it he said they maybe they will be getting some in & when I told him about a store that had put them out & then seemed to have pulled them from the shelves he said that maybe they are going to be a "Black Friday" item? Any thoughts on that.

But my local Wal-Mart is still sitting with the $79 Magnavox's (The Opening Price) & they refuse to drop them to the $50 price that I hear some Wal-Mart's are now selling them for.
post #110 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

I am trying to understand your setup. Based on the Philips DVDR3575H, I would not expect the recorder to letterbox(add top bars), if the recorder is set for 16x9 and the program was 16x9.
Is the recoder set for 16x9?
Is your TV widescreen? If it is, have you ever tried connecting the S-Video out of the recorder directly into the TV. I would be concerned that the Comcast unit could be doing the letterboxing.

Since the Magnavox does not have HDMI, I would not expect the confusion that HDMI can create in aspect ratio. I tried using the HDMI, but I did not see any significant improvement in picture quality, and it limited the modes on my TV, so I disconnected it.

With my DVDR3575H, when I record in 16x9 mode and the program is 16x9, my TV set to widescreen sees a screen filling image(no bars top/bottom or sides) through the S-Video input. If the TV program was standard def broadcast on an HD station so the TV station added pillar bars(the bars on the side), that is the way it displays on my TV.

My Magnavox is set for 16:9, TV is WS HD. Magna has s-video in from stb and s-video out to TV. In fact I just comparatively tested(for video quality- see next post of mine for results) my Polaroid 2001G and it does same under same setup. Comcast 8300 stb passes WS picture out through s-video- NOW, remember NOT all HD stb's pass WS through s-video - Dish VIP211 does not(it chops program sides), Direct TV H10 does, etc, etc.

post #111 of 943 Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok- I just burned a same source program to my Polaroid 2001G and the Magnavox(both s-video input at HQ for each. Playback for both was on a Panny S97 DVD player and also an Oppo 981HD. I previously tested the Polaroid 2001G(has LSI chip) and found it essentially equal to my Pioneer 531 and 640 in video quality at XP(HQ) and SP. The Polaroid is one of the best. The Magnavox came very close to these two(if not equal) at HQ(that is the only speed that I have had time to test so far.)One good thing about this great result for the Magnavox is that it has an HDD where you can record a show on the HDD at HQ and then edit and/or divide for multiple discs at a fantastic quality. Obviously an important factor will be video quality comparisons at 2-4 hours, which I plan to do with Pio 640 and Polaroid.

post #112 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

The whole issue of "picture filling screen" comes up often and is usually some combination of cable box, recorder, and TV settings with the cable box the normal culprit.

I do not have a cable box and most of my issues are with the TV setting. HDMI will always take the Phillips output and wide screen it even if 4:3. It works perfectly for 16:9. Component input will give the squished 16:9 and standard 4:3 if the set is set to "normal" with the Phillips input. It is easily corrected by going to "wide" and fills the screen. It takes a bit of time to sort out what is happening, but I have found that leaving the output as 16:9 works fine with a wide screen TV if recording either 16:9 or 4:3 and component output. I do have to change the aspect between normal/wide depending on the input. However, since I normally record mostly HD channels on the Phillips, I set HDMI as default input and always have wide screen.

Since my TV accepts progressive input, I also set progressive as the output and the results are noticeable.
post #113 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy View Post

Ok- I just burned a same source program to my Polaroid 2001G and the Magnavox(both s-video input at HQ for each.

"Same source program"?

Do you mean recording simultaneously the same portion of a live program, or the same program but at different spots in the program, or ...?

If simultaneously, are you using a splitter????
post #114 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

"I have an older model of a phillips HDD DVDR, they never got the EPG to work correctly and when it had a glitch, the whole machine stopped working until you reset you ZIP code and let it reload the EPG. Not only did you miss your recordings but you couldn't record with it until the next day after you discovered the problem and then you had to reload all of you programming.

I was actually glad to see the EPG gone."

In defense of EPG:

I have used EPG as found on my Samsung STB to record shows that come on in the early morning hours. I select the show, set up my recording device to come on at the same time and in the morning I have the show recorded.

This is in the Raleigh NC area and maybe the stations here do a better job of supplying the EPG info. Although it is not perfect as occasionly I will find "no Info" associated with different stations. Also sometimes when scrolling thru the EPG it will lock up the Samsung. So there are issues, but I just hope EPG is not dropped and in the future it will be more reliable.

-DonB2
post #115 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

"Same source program"?

Do you mean recording simultaneously the same portion of a live program, or the same program but at different spots in the program, or ...?

If simultaneously, are you using a splitter????

No- I should have articulated better. The exact same program was an HD recorded program on my Comcast Explorer 8300 STB. I input from STB to the Polaroid HDD via s-vid, unhooked then input to Magnavox HDD via s-vid. Then burned DVD-R's on each and compared playback on the heretofore stated DVD players. BTW an HD program on that 8300 transfers magnificently even via s-video.

post #116 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM

Could someone who has this model post what the input/output connection options are?

Has anyone from Florida seen them in stores? Ocala area?
post #117 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Magnavox 2080MW8 connections

1) Antenna in (1)
2) Antenna out (1)
3) Video in
Composite -1 front, 1 back)
S-video in (1 front, 1 back)
4) Audio in (RCA stereo -1 pair front, 1 pair back)
5) Video out
Composite ( 1 )
S-video (1)
Component (1)
6) Audio out
RCA stereo (1)
Digital co-axial (1)

No HDMI, no RF modulator,no optical digital
Has QAM,ATSC,NTSC tuner with downrezed output to 480i, 480p
post #118 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 PM

this unit is pretty good, but it has a few things that could be improved...

1) need TWO antenna inputs. i have OTA from roof antenna and c-band dish. to get both into the dvr, i have to route the c-band to the vcr then composite out of vcr to composite in of dvr.

2) can't 'replay' unless you have already selected 'time shift' mode. basically, it isn't recording unless you tell it to. i thought i had read that the tivo types were always recording and you were never actually watching 'live' tv. this is not a big deal, but if you miss something, you can't replay it unless you were previously recording.

3) if power goes out for 30 secs, you lose all programmed timers!! this is from the manual, havent tried it. seems like a pretty basic feature to hold that memory.

4) no 'go back' button on the remote for switching back and forth from one channel to another, previously viewed channel.

there may be more, but as you can see, these are pretty minor in the big picture.
post #119 of 943 Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defed View Post

this unit is pretty good, but it has a few things that could be improved...

1) need TWO antenna inputs. i have OTA from roof antenna and c-band dish. to get both into the dvr, i have to route the c-band to the vcr then composite out of vcr to composite in of dvr.

2) can't 'replay' unless you have already selected 'time shift' mode. basically, it isn't recording unless you tell it to. i thought i had read that the tivo types were always recording and you were never actually watching 'live' tv. this is not a big deal, but if you miss something, you can't replay it unless you were previously recording.

3) if power goes out for 30 secs, you lose all programmed timers!! this is from the manual, havent tried it. seems like a pretty basic feature to hold that memory.

4) no 'go back' button on the remote for switching back and forth from one channel to another, previously viewed channel.

there may be more, but as you can see, these are pretty minor in the big picture.

Remember, this unit retails for $200. The designers have got to pinch every penny.

1) 2 RF inputs, adds to the cost of every unit, but I suspect that the larger market for this unit is pure OTA or pure cable. They don't want to chase them away by adding to the base price. I would not be surprised that their market research may have told them that many people in your situation will just buy 2 units, which is even better for them.
2 & 4) Seem to be contradictory. If you are automatically recording, you would make a mess of it by channel hopping. The large market is probably people looking to replace their VCR. They may not feel that these "real time" features are a priority.
3) This one had me puzzled, when I discovered the same issue in my Philips DVDR3575H. Before I did a lot of programming, I did pull the plug for about a minute, and it did drop the program, so the issue is real. I would have thought it would be easy to store the data in Flash or on the hard drive, and use a battery backed up clock. I suspect that cost is the issue. Their may be other subtle issues. The complexity of the software to manage the scheduling may have been increased. The weekly/daily type things may normally get updated when the recording event starts. Cleaning up when the event was during an outage may have required extra effort = extra cost. Again, market research may have told them that people who understood the issue and were really concerned about it would buy a small UPS.

I suspect that this unit is intended as a mass market product, with the main market being the people interested in a VCR replacement. That would make price more important than a feature list that pleases everyone.

The test for their strategy is the marketplace. If the units fly off the shelf, they were right. If they collect dust, then they were wrong.
post #120 of 943 Old 10-24-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Does this unit merged the ATSC OTA with the NTSC stations coming from the antenna? So basically you can channel up and down thru both?

Is there a more expensive unit out there made by a different manufacturer that has two Coax "in" inputs?

If so I have not seen one.

My more expensive Samsung DTB -H260 STB does not have separate inputs either. Of course it does not even do NTSC which this less expensive unit it capable of.

I think the new Prime STB had ATSC and NTSC tuners built in but I am not sure if that has dual antenna inputs either.

-DonB2
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page