New Walmart HDD/DVDR-Magnavox H2080MW8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 943 Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw four at my Walmart today. I bought all four(just kidding).
Features: On Box
$198 price
80 GB HDD
SDTV Tuner
Funai made
Records to DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW( 2x to 16x)
Component out
S-Video in and out
Simple editing of commercials and scenes(That would be good!)
Watch a recording that has already started

I would bet that the "W" in the model number stands for Walmart and that this was specially made to be sold at Walmarts. Be interesting to see how it tests out. I wondered why the box did not say ATSC tuner?- I thought all new models produced after March 1st had to have an ATSC tuner.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 943 Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
They usually only have an "SDTV" symbol on them nowadays, I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 943 Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

They usually only have an "SDTV" symbol on them nowadays, I think.

You are correct sir- I just confirmed that this HDD unit has an ATSC tuner. Also the box said that the unit I looked at was #35 of 48 shipped to the Houston suburb distribution facility in Sealy TX. This unit is the least expensive atsc tuner equipped unit with a HDD yet, AFAIK. We will see how it tests out-good, bad or ugly.

post #4 of 943 Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Additional info on this unit: (Walmart clerk had an extra manual- I was amazed he said I could borrow it.- I definitely will return it as he was so gracious to do this.) At the time of this original post I had not had a chance to start perusing it- more will follow.
DVD-RW/-R is recorded to DVD+VR AUTOMATICALLY in this unit.
Does Do High speed dubs from HDD to DVD.
You cannot HS dub from DVD to HDD.
Has Auto-calculates space available-(flex record) from HDD to DVD- not direct to DVD it appears.
This unit has chase playback from HDD AND you can record a different title and playback a previously recorded title on HDD simultaneously.
Manual says it also plays back DVD-video, CD-DA,Video CD, CD-RW/-R
Audio- Coaxial- no optic.
Fan on back.
You can easily switch from NTSC(analog) to ATSC digital with remote by pressing DTV/TV button.
Record speeds- HQ(60 min),SP(120)SPP(150)LP(180)Ep(240)SLP(360)
DVD-RW recorded in a mode other than +VR is not recordable on this unit UNLESS you erase all contents on the disc.
DVD-R recorded in a mode other than +VR is not recordable on this unit.
Video recording format: 13.5 Mhz
Compression format: mpeg2
Audio recording format: sampling frequency- 48 kHz- compression format Dolby digital.
No DV input on this device. Must use s-video on front panel or back for your camcorder.

Now -the manual will not tell you how good the recording quality will be at HQ and SP and SPP or how user friendly the interface is. Pio 531HDD and series and the 2006 640 HDD set the standards. Only users of this new model can decide in their trials.

post #5 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Another hard drive DVD recorder? Hopefully Magnavox won't get busted by the MPAA. Or the black helicopters won't swoop down upon Walmart and confiscate these illegal DVD recorders.

I think the most telling aspect of this new model is the $198 price point. This is a level where the Japanese would choose not to compete.
post #6 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does it always record a HD signal in widescreen mode, or can you choose a "side crop" or "pan and scan" mode to record just the center portion, to get rid of the blank side panels on upconverted SD material?
post #7 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 AM

great to see, I was just going to get the last Philips DVDR3575H tonight from my local walmart. Not sure what to do now, the Philips had some issues, wander what will be wrong with this one.

Jay
post #8 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 AM

great to see, I was just going to get the last Philips DVDR3575H tonight from my local walmart. Not sure what to do now, the Philips had some issues, wander what will be wrong with this one.

Jay
post #9 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy View Post

You are correct sir- I just confirmed that this HDD unit has an ATSC tuner. Also the box said that the unit I looked at was #35 of 48 shipped to the Houston suburb distribution facility in Sealy TX. This unit is the least expensive atsc tuner equipped unit with a HDD yet, AFAIK. We will see how it tests out-good, bad or ugly.

Does it pass the real HDTV or just downconverted signal through the component out? Thank you.
post #10 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post

Does it pass the real HDTV or just downconverted signal through the component out? Thank you.

It has an ATSC tuner that is marketed as an SDTV tuner... So the answer likely is no.

James

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

post #11 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It sounds like a repackaged version of the Philips 3575 (also made by Funai), except with a smaller HDD and a few connectors deleted to save money. I would expect it to have the same features and capabilities - and limitations and bugs. For $100 more I would still buy the Philips for:
- Bigger HDD and more connectors
- Better support from Philips
- More product knowledge in the user community
post #12 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

It sounds like a repackaged version of the Philips 3575 (also made by Funai), except with a smaller HDD and a few connectors deleted to save money. I would expect it to have the same features and capabilities - and limitations and bugs. For $100 more I would still buy the Philips for:
- Bigger HDD and more connectors
- Better support from Philips
- More product knowledge in the user community

I think it is way too premature to assume that it has the same bugs/limitations as the Philips and every new product has limited product knowledge. Users will tell as they have on every new DVDR since 2003. Furthermore with the limited HDD units available with ATSC tuners, how can one not afford to give this unit a trial? Another point- $100 may not be much to you but for some it is. An 80 GB HDD is not shabby. If you maintain and are efficient with your usage it is certainly sufficient.

post #13 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An 80 GB HDD is not shabby.

Yes, it is too shabby. The only reason anybody would be using an 80 Gbyte HDD these days is because they are trying to wring every last penny of costs out of the unit (did someone guess that this was a special model for Walmart?). I'd be thinking "Where else did they cut corners?".
post #14 of 943 Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Yes, it is too shabby. The only reason anybody would be using an 80 Gbyte HDD these days is because they are trying to wring every last penny of costs out of the unit (did someone guess that this was a special model for Walmart?). I'd be thinking "Where else did they cut corners?".

It's freaking under $200 dude and one of the few around. You don't even have the manual yet spew misinformation. Why don't you buy one and come back to us without the BS? I think because you are trying to justify your more expensive Philips purchase. Listen fellow- I and many others still have the original Panny E-80 which was 80 GB- still working and is one of the best and most sold ever. 80 gigs is enough if you take advantage of DVD+/-RW etc discs. I also have the Panny E-55 which has 200GB so I know. I can tell you are new to this stuff. And there is some support for 80 Gb Pannys- check this link out, swifty.
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-978...?tag=cnetfd.mt

post #15 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:

I saw four at my Walmart today. I bought all four(just kidding).

Features:

No EPG?
post #16 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I suspect that Wal-Mart will not be selling the Philips any more, now that they have this less expensive model.
post #17 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 AM

There is now a 4-6 week wait at Amazon for the Philips DVDR3575H/37. That has been the situation for a week. If there aren't any these Philips in the pipeline or at the warehouse, Wal-Mart can't sell them. I don't know of any announcement by Philips that they discontinued this model. Maybe Philips got tired of all the returns and is looking for another Chinese manufacturer with better quality control to sell Philips HDD DVD recorders that it can rebadge.
post #18 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 AM

I bet this will be on sale fairly soon..

Really can't beat it especially, with both analog and digital tuners plus a hard drive.. I might have to buy one, when on sale, not that I need one.. My Emerson LCD TV is made by Funai and it's great..
post #19 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a question about these Funai recorders (I have a Funai made PY90DG), the finalized dvds, when played in a standalone player, can't scan in reverse at all, and forward only at 2x max, any faster and the player freezes up, also no a-b repeat, etc. The discs have all functions when played in the recorder itself. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #20 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I and many others still have the original Panny E-80 which was 80 GB- still working and is one of the best and most sold ever. 80 gigs is enough if you take advantage of DVD+/-RW etc discs.

I didn't say that 80 Gbytes wasn't enough if you manage your space carefully, nor would I question that the older Panasonic recorder with 80 Gbyte HDD is a fine machine - for its time. I am saying that a new recorder introduced with an 80 Gbyte drive now, in late 2007, is excessively cheap. It might be better for them to just sell it without the HDD and let you buy your own larger drive, as some other suppliers have done.
post #21 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

80 gigs is enough if you take advantage of DVD+/-RW etc discs.

There's lots of praise about for the Panny 75 VCR/DVDR combo, and it has "only" 80 GB.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #22 of 943 Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Does anyone actually have one of these yet?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #23 of 943 Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope someone gets one soon so we can learn some more about it.

I just checked and it is not on their website yet.

I also would like to know if it has EPG.

And how well it handles multichannel.

And also if the ATSC and NTSC are integrated but it sounds like this is not the case - not a biggy with me though.

I originally set my sites on a DVD/VCR combo ATSC unit so I could free up the VCR slot in my cabinet. But you guys are quickly converting me into wanting a Hard Drive unit and to heck with VCR.

Copy the VCR collection over to DVD and be done with it.

-Donb2
post #24 of 943 Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 PM

No Walmart near me has it. I already own the $144 Magnavox model, and if its the same, it won't be a keeper. I'm still within the 90 day return window on the Magnavox, and its a good recorder. Problem is that the tuner is VERY slow. It always scans for sub channels. Pretty much makes it useless as a real-time viewing machine.

Now with a HDD model, you will want to watch realtime (to do the pause on a live show). It's going to be frustrating if it has the same slow tuner.

Hopefully they will have upgraded the tuner in this new model!
post #25 of 943 Old 10-12-2007, 07:18 AM

i went to walmart today to see if they had the phillips 3575, which they didn't. shelf tag, no product. i think they had none of the polaroids either (which i didn't want anyway from the reviews i have read). they did have 3 or 4 of the magnavoxes. i was tempted to get one, $198, but the box said SDTV tuner. initially, i thought that meant NTSC so i didnt get one. on the way home, it hit me that SDTV probably meant ATSC, non HD, which appears to be the case.

i'd prefer to hear some reviews before i buy one, i don't have time to be the guinea pig right now!
post #26 of 943 Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I am beginning to feel that the main reason none of these units can do HD and default to SD quality is because the CPU horsepower to burn to DVD is not large enough.

Just a guess based on what it takes CPU wise for USB based HD PC Tv cards to work smoothly - as they require a minimum of 1 GIG Ram and 2 Gig CPU.

-DONB2
post #27 of 943 Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

I hope someone gets one soon so we can learn some more about it.

It's not on wikipedia yet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_recorder
post #28 of 943 Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Another hard drive DVD recorder? Hopefully Magnavox won't get busted by the MPAA. Or the black helicopters won't swoop down upon Walmart and confiscate these illegal DVD recorders.

I think the most telling aspect of this new model is the $198 price point. This is a level where the Japanese would choose not to compete.

why are they illegal?
post #29 of 943 Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

He's being facetious.
post #30 of 943 Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 AM

I have one of these units and i got it at wal mart after going there to buy a samsung ar650 but they were out and i seen this unit.i asked the kid there if he knew anything about it and he said someone put them out on the shelf to early. anyways i bought one. next day went there and there wasnt any? maybe they took them off the shelf?

Donb2 i dont know about an epg but the manual shows a dtv programming guide but doesnt go into any great detail.

all i have done with it is record to both the hddd and dvd+rw\\which played in 3 different dvd players.

so far i am happy with it very simple to use even for a not so technical person like myself.

i wont be able to tell you about the digital part of it because all i have is analog cable.

any questions i will try to answer or look up in the manual.

Quote from houstonguy

"This unit has chase playback from HDD AND you can record a different title and playback a previously recorded title on HDD simultaneously."

I cannot find how to do this(not the chase playback the other part) but i havent read the complete manual either.(100+pages)

btw first post here and board looks very nice and informative hope i can help.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page