Problem with LG DVD recorder corrupting discs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the LG 787 DVD recorder since late April. I bought a large pack of Memorex DVD +RW discs at Radio Shack. I would record on each disc until it was full, and then reformat the disc and fill it up again, repeat, repeat, and then after the 5th or 6th format, the machine will refuse to recognize the disc anymore. I tried cleaning the discs, but this does not help. The DVD -RW disc that came with the machine lasted about 15 reuses and then bit the dust too. Has anyone else had this kind of problem. Is my unit defective? Am I doing something wrong? Are these disc brands no good?

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Altho your problem could be related just to the quality of your discs (Memorex are BAD), I've read on another forum about using RW discs and those people found by long experience that formatting reduces the life of the discs, so they have taken to just erasing instead in most instances.

Repeated formatting of Memorex discs is probably not a good idea...the media is "4th Class Landfill Material" according to digitalfaq.com.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How do you erase discs without reformatting them? I read the manual and could not find any instructions for erasing.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
post #4 of 27 Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

How do you erase discs without reformatting them? I read the manual and could not find any instructions for erasing.

Not sure what the LG calls it or what menu it's in. (You might not have an "Erase" function. Maybe look for "Quick Erase" and/or "Full Erase"?)

In my Philips 3575, it's called Erase and is in the Disc Edit menu. Could be in a Disc Setup menu also?
post #5 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 05:01 AM

I have the LG with both the DVD burner and the VHS tape (can't remember the model #). To delete programs, go to the main program menu where it shows you thumbnails of the material on the disk. Highlight a program and choose delete from the menu to the left of the thumbnails. If you want to erase the disk entirely, you'll need to start with the last program and work your way backwards.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 AM

I second that motion... I have the 797 combo too... it says delete on the screen on the combo... and they are suppose to be relatively the same... from what I understand...
post #7 of 27 Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM

After just a few reuses, both my 787 and my older DR1F9H started rejecting the Memorex DVD+RWs. Complete landfill material. On the otherside of the spectrum, I have a couple of 3 year old Sony DVD+RWs that still function without a hiccup. On all disks I delete the title(s) first, then I re initialize them.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM

I have an LG 797 which has the ability to R/W on DVD-RAM disks, and a Panasonic with the same feature. Owned the Panasonic since April 07--works great no disk issues. Owned the LG since August. Since then 4 out of 6 DVD-RAM disks have developed errors on them preventing me from reading back what I have recorded. THIS ONLY HAPPENS AFTER USING THE LG, never the PANASONIC!!! The RAMs are more flexible for the OTA recording I frequently do and have longer life (supposedly) but are MUCH more expensive than RW+/-. I'm convinced that this is the LG damaging my disks (Panasonic--the only brand I can find). I am frustrated with this and have missed a number of episodes of my favorite shows.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Desert Hawk,

Have you tried erasing the disc in your computer? Nero works great to erase finalized +-RW discs and the ones my DVRs can no longer format.

In "Nero Burning Rom" - "Recorder" menu - "Erase Rewritable Disc". Choose Full Erase if you need to.

Later, Conrad
post #10 of 27 Old 02-19-2008, 09:38 AM

I got my LG 797 back from repair about 2 weeks ago. To thier credit, the turnaround was much quicker than I expected (less than 14 days from my shipping to recieving). However after about 10 days of trouble-free use, the DVD drive has completely died. It will not recognize anything put into it. I can still record to the VCR side. This is getting frustrating. It will go back to LG repairs in about a week. I'll keep you posted.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM

LG 797

Purchased May 07

All functions worked well for 95 days. The recorded DVDs from over-the-air programming looked great...but, after
that, the 797 produced cascading failures until only the tuner operates. No longer recognizes commercial DVDs.

My experience with this junk is that it progressively destroys rewritable DVDs.

Some of the DVDs it corrupts are reformatable via computer reformatting. Video data is usually extractable and can be rewritten to the same DVD+RW so another player can read it.

This unit is junk.

Go to Epinions.com and read the reviews on the LG 797. Unfortunately, my 797 performed well just beyond the warranty period then crapped out.

I had planned to seek manufacturer repair until reading devajeet's last message. It appears that LG's repairs will not last.

We must resign ourselves that the LG 797 is fundamentally a useless waste of time and money. Thank God I didn't buy an LG television.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

I bought an LG 787 DVD recorder last May (basically the same, I think, as the 797 but no VCR?)...I've also had problems with it since the get-go. Three months after bringing it home it had to be sent out for repair. Thankfully I bought a protection agreement on it for 2 years, so I didn't have to pay for the repair and replacement of its drive.

Now it's just shy of 1 year old and AGAIN I'm having problems. It won't recognize disks that the day before had just been formatted and recorded on, in that machine. I either have to use a DVD cleaner disk on it to get it to read disks properly, or I have to open and close the drive a couple of times and then it will finally read the disk. It will even have problems with prerecorded DVDs purchased at the store (movies, etc.). I've about had it...will have to bring the thing back AGAIN to get it sent out again for repair, looks like. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll offer to replace it with something else, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that. (ANYthing but another LG!)

What's worse is my husband has (had) the same machine, just about 3-4 months older than mine. He has had the very same problems with his as above. It will also be going back for repair when we bring mine in (we got them both from the same B&M store). Geez.

And yet we DO have an LG HDTV, and we've had no problems with it, really. It's almost 1 yr and 4 months old, and I still love it. Why the TV has been fine, and the DVD recorders have sucked, I'm not sure. I'd maybe get another LG TV...but I would NOT get another LG recorder, though!! I've got a Toshiba DR400 ready to replace my recorder as we speak (got it for a great price at Christmastime), and hubby just recently replaced his LG with a Panny DMR-EZ27K which we got on sale, and he loves it. The LGs, once they get fixed, will be the backups...they just are not reliable enough anymore to be the recorders we depend on for day-to-day use. VERY disappointing -- they looked so nice when we first bought them.

DGK
post #13 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Can't add any reliability stories to this thread since the 2 different LG DVDR's I've had in the past couple years I only kept for a day each. I returned both due to what I saw was poor picture quality. They both looked very nice from the outside, but I really didn't care for there PQ. Just my 2 cents about LG DVDR's.
Oh and I did own 2 smaller LG LCD TV's for a couple days. The first one started changing channels all by itself after a day. I returned it for another, which had no pitcure, it had sound, just no picture. I told them they could keep there LG's, I wasn't trying a third! Note again they both looked really nice on the outside, and the first one had a very good quality picture, it's just I'm just a little leary after my LG experiences.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

I have had the LG 787 DVD recorder since late April. I bought a large pack of Memorex DVD +RW discs at Radio Shack. I would record on each disc until it was full, and then reformat the disc and fill it up again, repeat, repeat, and then after the 5th or 6th format, the machine will refuse to recognize the disc anymore. I tried cleaning the discs, but this does not help. The DVD -RW disc that came with the machine lasted about 15 reuses and then bit the dust too. Has anyone else had this kind of problem. Is my unit defective? Am I doing something wrong? Are these disc brands no good?

I don't know about the LG recorders. Many here say the machine itself breaks down, but not that the machine breaks disks. I would guess, given the reputation of Memorex, that the recorder didn't destroy the disks, but that they just wore out from use. Try a Sony RW and see how long it lasts. Also, delete the contents rather then reformat the disk, as has been suggested above by others.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #15 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A few weeks after I started this thread, I bought a 5 pack of Panasonic DVD-RAM discs. One of these discs has worked flawlessly for over 3 months now. I started erasing old programs instead of reformatting the disc.

post #16 of 27 Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure on your LG, but RAM discs are supposed to be more reliable in general. You are supposed to be able to reuse the RAM's 10's if not 100's of thousands of times, while a standard RW has a life of 100's or maybe 1000's of times.
I bet you would be able to reformat your RAM's without incident, but can't guarantee it. On a related note I use RW's exclusively on my Panny's and have used a few maybe 50? times, reformatting after each use, and never had a problem with even one. Oh I guess one did get a bad scratch and started to skip, I just tossed it. But if the RAM's work on your LG great, sure beats the alternative, corrupted discs.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

I have to admit, with all the troubles I've had with my LG, that being able to record on DVD RAM disks was one thing about it I really DID like. Other than Panasonic, the LG is the only recorder that can use them that I've seen.

I've been wondering, why is it that other companies don't make recorders that can use DVD RAM? They're so useful, IMO, and I prefer them over the RWs.

DGK
post #18 of 27 Old 02-21-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe there might also be a few other mfgs. that use RAM's, but since I personally don't use them I really dont follow it.
I think the RAM discs can do some really cool things. What held me back from ever using them was the fact that I like to play my discs on my Sony DVD player, and Sony does not support RAM. Another thing is the cost and availability. RAM's can be a little hard to find, especially in lager quantities. They are cost also a fair amount more than say a 25 pack spindle of RW's.
I think RAM's were more aimed at computer users and were really never promoted very well for standalone DVD recorders. Too bad, since they do really have some advantages.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Hi, DeeKaye07

I'll stand corrected...mine is as yours a DR787T.
The difficulties you describe are all too familiar to me. I'm happy that your LG TV has proven different in performance to this time.

I was impressed with the LG flat panel TV's picture quality for the price, but I wanted a 61" screen. I opted for the Samsung HLS series a couple years ago. I thoroughly love it! Bulbs are not an issue. My son has had his HLN for 5+ years and has yet to blow a lamp. Besides, Discount Merchant sells 'em for $109. I installed one of theirs replacing a perfectly working lamp with 3600 hours as a spare. Some of these new series phillips bulbs are claimed to have lasted 20,000 hours! 5000-8000 hours are perfectly acceptable for me.

Moreover, my Son's HLN61 was a second generation DLP. In his, we have replaced both a color wheel and a lamp ballast, cheaply, without incident; easier than changing sparkplugs in a car. I recall my 27" CRT circa 1990, costing me $350 10 days out of warranty for a motherboard. So, if you lose your flat panel, consider a big DLP, especially if you have a corner to tuck it into. It actually occupies less space than my old 27" with a corner TV unit! Also, power consumption is only 150 watts. The longer you wait the better and cheaper they become. Invest the difference in metals and oil.

Returning to topic:
I've been reading about the Phillips DVDR 3575H/37 in this forum. I had no knowledge of this recorder at the time I purchased the LG unit. Hard drive, 1080P upconversion player/recorders seem the way to go...check it out. Epinion comments are more favorable regarding the Phillips unit as well, but still, there a couple of disappointed buyers on these, especially with Phillips customer service:-(

Good Luck.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atropis View Post

Hi, DeeKaye07

I'll stand corrected...mine is as yours a DR787T.
The difficulties you describe are all too familiar to me. I'm happy that your LG TV has proven different in performance to this time............

Returning to topic:
I've been reading about the Phillips DVDR 3575H/37 in this forum. I had no knowledge of this recorder at the time I purchased the LG unit. Hard drive, 1080P upconversion player/recorders seem the way to go...check it out. Epinion comments are more favorable regarding the Phillips unit as well, but still, there a couple of disappointed buyers on these, especially with Phillips customer service:-(

Good Luck.

Thanks. Glad at least to know I'm not the only one that's had such problems with the LG recorders.

If by dim chance I can talk BBuy into just replacing the unit instead of sending it out yet again to get fixed (and since it's still under the umbrella of their protection plan, they're paying the cost to ship and repair, not me, thank goodness) then maybe I'll look into a Phillips. IF they have any. (I'll have to look on their website later to see.) No matter what I end up getting (if they let me do so) I will invest in another protection plan for it...saved my derriere this time with that stupid LG!

DGK

P.S. It's quite odd to read that you bought your LG the SAME month that I got mine. Wonder if we just got a bad batch, or what?! It's strange.
post #21 of 27 Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM

................No matter what I end up getting (if they let me do so) I will invest in another protection plan for it...saved my derriere this time with that stupid LG!

DGK

P.S. It's quite odd to read that you bought your LG the SAME month that I got mine. Wonder if we just got a bad batch, or what?! It's strange.[/quote]

I believe it is simply poor and hasty design; LG beating the market to an ATSC/QAM multi recorder with true 16 X 9 or WYSIWYG recording capability including up conversion, and hence, no consideration for product integrity. I'm not buying LG stock.

Next purchase for me will require two products, besides LG, offering comparable features and a 6 month web source for customer satisfaction.

I checked this stinker out before I purchased it. It was getting good reviews. However, the 787 was so new at the time that reliability issues had yet to arise. Ironically, considering the ongoing breakdowns other purchasers are experiencing following repairs or replacement, I'm rather happy that I did not invest in a protection plan. Crap is crap, the longer it stinks the more unpleasant it becomes.

Hopefully, suffering your protection plan will lead to a better machine for you, LG or not.

Atropis
post #22 of 27 Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Just got the LG 797 back from its second repair trip in 2 months. I'm withholding judgement until I've been using it for a few more weeks. However, I want to report a wonderful finding with my Panasonic DMR-ES35VS.

The LG managed to damage 5 of 6 DVD RAMs I was using. I asked a friend with some DVD editing s/w to reformat all of the disks for me. He did so. He said one of them came back unusable!!!

I recorded several programs on each disk (including the unusable one) filling them up. When watching, I found that the Panny was able to 'skip' thru the unreadable portions of the disks while I could note timer status for each title--without locking up!!! This enabled me to delete all programming 'around' the bad areas then protect the remaining areas manually (similar to the way floppy/hard disks were formatted by DOS back in the day). After doing this I am able to watch recordings on ALL of my damaged disks without issue!!! My only loss is a few minutes of available space on the disk. Small price to pay when each disk is averaging $3+ a pop.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the competing Panny with ATSC (EZ-475vk), and leave the LG on the shelf.

See ya in about a month.
post #23 of 27 Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM

Why is everyone here going to the trouble of burning programs then erasing them every time?  I only record a program if I want to keep a copy or to burn one for a friend or family member, thus I only use DVD-R blanks. Any experience I've had with RW discs (on my computer only) have not been very successful. Surely the non RW blanks are cheap enough to keep replacing, I just buy them in 100 packs on Ebay. With regard to the disc corruption problem, I regularly use a head cleaning disc in my machine, but I recently had a problem with corrupted discs on burning, then I suddenly realized it was only happening when I printed the label before burning. Apparently the software on my Canon printer was upsetting the disc in some way. So now I always burn now  ... PRINT LATER

post #24 of 27 Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by phugemawl View Post

Why is everyone here going to the trouble of burning programs then erasing them every time?  I only record a program if I want to keep a copy or to burn one for a friend or family member, thus I only use DVD-R blanks. Any experience I've had with RW discs (on my computer only) have not been very successful. Surely the non RW blanks are cheap enough to keep replacing, I just buy them in 100 packs on Ebay. With regard to the disc corruption problem, I regularly use a head cleaning disc in my machine, but I recently had a problem with corrupted discs on burning, then I suddenly realized it was only happening when I printed the label before burning. Apparently the software on my Canon printer was upsetting the disc in some way. So now I always burn now  ... PRINT LATER
First, what possessed you to respond to a thread that's been dead for 5 years? The last 3 posters left the forum years ago. Second, if you record 4 programs per day on your 6 year old DVD recorder, which is about $1 per day in cheap blank DVDs, that's $30/month, far more expensive than renting a cable or satellite DVR. In a year, you could pay for a HDD/DVD recorder, a Tivo or a new PC. And what do you do with that stack of nearly 1500 DVDs at the end of the year which contain programs you only intended to watch once? If you have a DVD recorder and intend to use it as a VCR, DVD-RW is the only media that makes sense.
post #25 of 27 Old 10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Before getting HDD DVDRs I used -RW discs all the time and they worked great, now I rarely use RWs and use -Rs for permanent archiving.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I own a LG DR 787T non-combo DVDR i bought in March of 2006.The only good thing i can say about this DVDR is that it does a good job burning to +DL discs.It no longer recognizes commercially pressed discs,but does still recognize discs i burned on the unit.It also has a very bad overheating problem(always has).So bad that i must keep a fan blowing over it when i use it,and i never leave it unattended cuz it gets sooo hot i'm afraid it 'could' catch on fire.I mean it!!,this baby gets sooo hot i could literally fry eggs on it.Maybe some ham too?
post #27 of 27 Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 AM

I have the same unit too, but never paid attention to the overheating issue.
My LG has been packed away in it's box for a long time now.
I had a lot of copy-protection issues trying to record from Comcast.
This DVDR is semi-retired, may break it out for OTA in the future.
My Panasonics are trusty and reliable!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page