Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone:

A good forum friend of mine (wabjxo) suggested that I post a fix for a problem that I was having so I could share it with everyone. I'll tell you the problem I had first, then the fix.

Whenever my Philips 3575 would begin a timer recording, it would start at the correct time, and end at the correct time, but it would not shut the unit off when it was done. Now I know that when a timer recording finishes you get a window that displays asking you if you want to power the unit off, you can select "Yes" or "No", or if you do nothing at all, it will turn off the unit after about a minute...well mine would not turn the unit off at all (even though the recording would stop at it's designated time).

The first thing I tried was resetting the unit by pressing "Skip", then "1,2,3", then the "OK" button, and it went through the resetting process. After all said and done...it still would not shut off after a timer recording.

I was curious as to whether or not a firmware upgrade would correct it (I currently use 014 and can...but haven't yet...upgrade to 016) but I decided to contact Philips instead.

They suggested something that I didn't know about...an alternate way to reset the unit called a Hard Reset. What you do is unplug the unit, wait at least 2 minutes (I waited 10 when I did it), then press and hold the Power On (Standby) button...on the front of the unit...and plug the unit back in while your still holding in the button.

I had to reset the clock, and reset my timer recordings (nothing was lost off the HDD), but it ironically didn't go through the tuning of all the channels again.

So I set up a test record, and it worked. About one minute after the record end time, the unit powered itself off.

One other thing I wanted to mention. When the unit was brand new out of the box, it would turn itself on 2 minutes before a timer recording start time and then record at the correct time (ie: If the recording started at 8:00pm, it would turn on at 7:58pm, and start recording at 8:00pm). When it was not turning itself off after the timer recording had finished, it turned on 1 minute before the record start time. Then...when I Hard Reset the unit...back to turning itself on 2 minutes before the record start time.

I know that's weird, but I just wanted to mention it.

I hope this helps anyone else who isn't getting the proper benefit out of the "Skip 1,2,3" reset method.

If you need to contact Philips, here is the information:

1-888-PHILIPS (744-5477)
Mon - Sat: 7am - 11pm (EST)
Sunday: 8am - 11pm (EST)

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page