I am totally new to this DVD Recording technology and I am looking at getting a DVD recorder. I have gone through the forums, read lots and lots of threads and I think I have pretty much settled down on getting a DVDR with HDD. Couple of things that I would like to have are:
1. DVD Recorder with HDD (size not a big deal, can survive even on a 80GB HDD).
2. NTSC and ATSC tuner.
3. QAM tuner not mandatory. If it is there then its well and good. If not, I can survive.
After reading so many posts, and after lots of googling, I have finally come down to this list of DVDR...
1. Philips DVDR3575H - Excellent features. Has everything that I need, but $300!!!!
2. Magnavox H2080MW8 - Good DVDR, has everything that I need, but I can't seem to find it in my local Walmart or online.
3. Polaroid DRA-01601A - Specs looked good to me, but it seems to have got quite some bad reviews in this fourm as well as other places.
4. Polaroid DRM-2001G - Good DVDR, the greatest plus point is that I can upgrade HDD, but no ATSC tuner :-(
Couple of questions I had are:
1. Is there any other DVDR with HDD that's good and that I am missing?
2. I know that in Philips 3575 I can copy from a DVD to HDD, provided the copyright police is satisfied. Is it true for all DVDR or are there some kind of exceptions in it?
3. Can I copy VHS tapes from my VCR into the HDD, edit it and then transfer over to DVD?
4. I have a regular Dish Satellite system. Can I watch one cable channel through the satellite box on TV and record another cable channel on the HDD?
5. Does all DVDR come with automatic "commercial advance" on HDD recording? Not just the 30-second skip commercial thingy.
6. I suppose I can record a show on HDD, then edit to remove all commercials and then copy over the final show to DVD, right? And this can normally be done on DVD Recorder, right?
Thanks for all the inputs.