Toshiba RD-XS54 HDD to DVD-R Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Toshiba RD-X54 dvd recorder and was wondering if anyone could tell me the steps to either move/transfer/record from the hdd to a dvd-r or dvd-rw. I have several tv programs on the hard drive and would like to put them on a dvd-r or dvd-rw so any help i get would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Come on guys....i know someone out there can help me with this.

Thanks,
richard
post #3 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 PM

There are 2 ways to copy stuff from the HDD to a dvd.

This way allows you to select multiple titles and finalize in one step, using the buttons on the remote:

Press Edit Menu, then select DVD-Video Creation. This will bring up a screen from which you can select various titles. Use the arrow and Enter buttons to add various titles. When done, highlight the Next button on the screen, press Enter, and go thru the next screens which let you select various title/chapter options (play, colors, etc.), and, finally, burn to the dvd.

User manuals are available for download here: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...nuals/dvdr.asp
post #4 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.... i will give that shot
post #5 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM

You're welcome. The other way (which I use 99.999% of the time) uses high speed dubbing to dub individual titles from the HDD to DVD. You can remove dvds and add more content later. You do need to finalize the dvd in a separate step before it will work in other players.

Using Content Menu, highlight the title you'd like to transfer.
Press Quick Menu and scroll to High Speed Dubbing.
Press Enter.
On the next screen the top option (HDD -- DVD) should be highlighted, so press Enter.
The progress bar will appear and when completed you can repeat the process to dub additional titles.

When finished, press DVD, then Edit Menu, scroll to DVD Video-Finalizing and follow the instructions.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

That is what i was looking for.....you have been a great help
post #7 of 14 Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post

The other way (which I use 99.999% of the time) uses high speed dubbing to dub individual titles from the HDD to DVD. You can remove dvds and add more content later.

It's probably a matter of preference, but I don't understand why people would use this option. Since the discs won't play on other machines before they are finalized, why not either just play titles directly from the HDD if you simply want to watch, or use the DVD-Video Creation method once you're ready to burn a proper, compatible DVD. Otherwise, don't you have a tendancy to just end up with a bunch of unfinalized discs lying around which can't be played on any other machines?
post #8 of 14 Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

It's probably a matter of preference, but I don't understand why people would use this option. Since the discs won't play on other machines before they are finalized, why not either just play titles directly from the HDD if you simply want to watch, or use the DVD-Video Creation method once you're ready to burn a proper, compatible DVD. Otherwise, don't you have a tendancy to just end up with a bunch of unfinalized discs lying around which can't be played on any other machines?

It's partly personal preference, but, for me anyway, it's a way to protect against an HDD failure, maximize use of dvd space, and keep from filling up my HDD. I found that my 80GB XS32 filled up very quickly, and by offloading material to dvds, I could better manage the limited space. Let's say I'm recording a few different shows to keep, and I can fit a few episodes on each dvd at a quality level I'm comfortable with. If I create chapters and a playlist to cut out the commercials, I have a lot of extra titles (playlists) to scroll thru in the content menu, along with the wasted space of the commercials, and overruns - especially if I don't do a timer recording and forget to press stop! Why do a high speed HDD -- HDD dub, increasing HDD wear and tear, just to reclaim a little space, when I can just dub to a dvd and be done with it? Then, next week, or whenever, I'll repeat until the dvd is full.

If I record a movie on TCM at near the highest bit rate that will fit, I still often have a little room left. So, the next time I get a short feature, one reel wonder, cartoon, etc., I'll add it, and it's fun to watch a movie and short without changing dvds (anyone remember Matinee at the Bijou on PBS in the late 70s?).

I usually have no more than 5-10 unfinalized dvds at a time. I'd hate to have wasted all that time editing if the HDD crashed. Worst case, I figured I'd have a few unfinalized dvds laying around until I got another unit, or found a friend with one to finalize them. Actually, since I now have another XS32 and an XS54, I can do it myself. Also, if one machine is busy, I can record on another, and add to any dvd on any machine (no compatibility problems with the LG and Memorex burners).
post #9 of 14 Old 11-15-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, which admittedly has caused a bit of a problem when my original DVD burner went bad...

But it ALSO allows me to GET STUFF OFF OF THE HARD DRIVE temporarily, to make space to record something *tonight*. I do this very often, and I admit I probably also often end up 'ignoring' the stuff I offloaded... but it is a useful feature. I like being able to offload to DVD-RAM or DVD-RW.. (again, you can offload to DVD-R too, which I did and is why I have some unfinalized DVD-Rs I can't read on the new burner)

But I still use this feature now.. I like being able to do it piecemeal.

I admit now I'm probably going partially the other route, now that I have *4* tuners on Tivos, and TivoToGo.. which I'll probably play with over the Thanksgiving week... So I will offload off my Tivos to a computer...
post #10 of 14 Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Oops, double post.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post

it's a way to protect against an HDD failure

That's a good point!

Quote:
If I create chapters and a playlist to cut out the commercials, I have a lot of extra titles (playlists) to scroll thru in the content menu, along with the wasted space of the commercials, and overruns - especially if I don't do a timer recording and forget to press stop! Why do a high speed HDD -- HDD dub, increasing HDD wear and tear, just to reclaim a little space, when I can just dub to a dvd and be done with it? Then, next week, or whenever, I'll repeat until the dvd is full.

It does a high speed HDD -- HDD dub when you make a playlist? I always thought a playlist just "pointed" to the results of your editing, rather than recopying it thereby creating another file. Besides, when you hit the Remain button on your remote, the HDD remaining capacity doesn't change before and after you create a playlist, does it?

Quote:
If I record a movie on TCM at near the highest bit rate that will fit, I still often have a little room left. So, the next time I get a short feature, one reel wonder, cartoon, etc., I'll add it, and it's fun to watch a movie and short without changing dvds (anyone remember Matinee at the Bijou on PBS in the late 70s?).

That's a cool application, although I fear I'd have too many disparate shows on a same disc just for the sake of cramming them to full capacity.

Quote:
I usually have no more than 5-10 unfinalized dvds at a time. I'd hate to have wasted all that time editing if the HDD crashed. Worst case, I figured I'd have a few unfinalized dvds laying around until I got another unit, or found a friend with one to finalize them. Actually, since I now have another XS32 and an XS54, I can do it myself. Also, if one machine is busy, I can record on another, and add to any dvd on any machine (no compatibility problems with the LG and Memorex burners).

You're more self-disciplined than I would be to only have only 5-10 lying around. I have a couple dozen (finalized!) DVDs that've been lying around for months and months waiting for me just to label them. It's great, though, that you have other machines that you can use to add stuff to your unfinalized discs. And the other Toshibas can finalize them, too, you're saying?

Quote:
But I still use this feature now.. I like being able to do it piecemeal.

Bottom line: to each his own. I prefer to do a one-off DVD-Video Creation once I'm ready to make the final, complete version, rather than a piecemeal approach, but I understand your point of view. It's nice that our machines have the flexibility to allow for both methods. Another reason I love a recorder with an HDD!
post #12 of 14 Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does a high speed HDD -- HDD dub when you make a playlist? I always thought a playlist just "pointed" to the results of your editing, rather than recopying it thereby creating another file. Besides, when you hit the Remain button on your remote, the HDD remaining capacity doesn't change before and after you create a playlist, does it?

Yes, a playlist is simply pointers to sections of other recordings. I often dub a playlist from the hard drive to the hard drive if I want to keep something on the hard drive but only a section of it (e.g. 2 musical performances from the 3 hour Today show).
post #13 of 14 Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I get it. You can take your playlist, and just like burning it to a disc, you can dub it right to the HDD. It makes sense, as in your example, if you just want to keep a small portion of a much longer recording, so you can free up some space by deleting the original recording.

Gee, I'd never thunk of that.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Yep, that's the idea. At 30 cents for a blank TY -R, I end up burning most things I want to watch more than once to discs, but I still do HDD -- HDD dubs somewhat regularly. I might want to save only a small portion of a longer recording, create a playlist from a few different titles then save it as an original, or just cut down on the clutter. I typically have mostly originals on my HDD, and very few playlists. I don't much care for going thru pages of thumbnails, so I try to keep it organized. As for labeling dvds, well that's a different story...

Quote:

It's great, though, that you have other machines that you can use to add stuff to your unfinalized discs. And the other Toshibas can finalize them, too, you're saying?

Yep. I currently have the MRX-510L burner in my XS32, the LG H42L in my XS54, and I can add, copy to the HDD, and finalize a disc from either unit in the other. With the original burners, my XS54 could read unfinalized XS32 discs, but the XS32 couldn't read unfinalized discs from the XS54.

Quote:

Bottom line: to each his own. I prefer to do a one-off DVD-Video Creation once I'm ready to make the final, complete version, rather than a piecemeal approach, but I understand your point of view. It's nice that our machines have the flexibility to allow for both methods. Another reason I love a recorder with an HDD!

Agreed!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page