Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 25971 Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can ghosts carry viruses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 25971 Old 01-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
I got that message but I just, uh, wadded it up and tossed it.
post #273 of 25971 Old 01-17-2008, 08:21 AM

I got my DVR couple days ago and still playing with it. Everything seems good but the time recording just not work for me. I connected my Satellite box to DVR, and DVR to Panny TV.

According to manual, I did the following:
1. Press "Timer"
2. Select "New"
3. Input the entries like "Start time" "End Time", "CH = e1" "Record to: HDD"
4. Press "OK"

Then verified it with "Timer" again. No error messages. And I can see the current time on the screen as well.

The only thing is the DVR did not record anything when the "current time" (which showed when pressing Timer) passed the "Start time".

Did I miss something in my setup?

Thanks in advance.
post #274 of 25971 Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Couple of things:

1. You have to select whether you have an S-Video cable or Composite (Y/W/R) cables in E1. Default is Composite ("Video") so if you're using S-Video, you have to change that in the Video > Video Input menu.

2. If all your times etc. were correct, you still have to set the sat receiver to turn on and to the channel you want to record at the set time. I hear that receivers have a "Reminder" or some other feature that turns it on at a time you set.
post #275 of 25971 Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Wajo, Thanks for your quick reply.

I am actually using Composite cables in E1. But I haven't check the setup. I actually did not know where to configure it. When I first setup, I just connected it, passed to my DVR and it works so not pay much attention.

I checked my STB time, DVR time and they were all correct. I did turn to the channel. I think even it did not turn to the channel I want, it should have still recorded something.
post #276 of 25971 Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

bridge2K, it sounds as if you're set up correctly. I'd still check the Video Input menu and make sure it's set for Video In (Composite).

Altho possible, I've not read ANY reports of a timer program failing to rec at the set time and for the set duration.

Makes me think a detailed look at the settings you made might reveal something wrong, like an "AM" instead of a "PM", incorrect date/day, etc.?

Just thought of another possibility... maybe the program you wanted to record had Copy Protection, which would keep the recorder from recording???
post #277 of 25971 Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes I can confirm in my short time with the 3575, and many events, it has never failed a scheduled event.(I sure wish I could say the same with my Panny's)
post #278 of 25971 Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks Wajo and Jeff.

I'll double check tonight and post the results.
post #279 of 25971 Old 01-18-2008, 05:08 AM

It worked as I tested last night. But I did not change any settings. The only difference is the record duration. Last time I set it 5 minutes which failed the time recording. Last night I set it 15 minutes and it worked. Maybe the time recorder duration should be longer than the chapter period, I guess.

I did another time recording but failed. I set it to start from 8:29PM - 10:29PM. I guess it has to be setup a 10-min period? Does anybody have experience on it?

Thanks
post #280 of 25971 Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge2k View Post

It worked as I tested last night. But I did not change any settings. The only difference is the record duration. Last time I set it 5 minutes which failed the time recording. Last night I set it 15 minutes and it worked. Maybe the time recorder duration should be longer than the chapter period, I guess.

I did another time recording but failed. I set it to start from 8:29PM - 10:29PM. I guess it has to be setup a 10-min period? Does anybody have experience on it?

Thanks

Since you are the only one to experience this problem,
unless there is something in your setup that is unique
I suspect you may have a defective unit.
post #281 of 25971 Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, and there should also be no problem recording a short program. I have done tests with 1 minute schedules and it worked fine.
You might want to read post #3100 on this thread. Someone else is having problems with his 3575 missing events. Although you 2 are the only ones I can remember reading this about. Maybe you both have defective units??

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...30253&page=104
post #282 of 25971 Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #283 of 25971 Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

plplpl, I don't know since I don't have a DV camera, but I'd like to know. I've recorded 16:9 shows from a 16:9 digital broadcast thru the tuner and gotten a "natural" full-screen 16:9 recording... and high-speed dubbed to DVD.

If you still have the 3575, maybe you could try, then you can take it back?

OK, I unpacked it and set it up again to try this out. I set the Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide before recording from my miniDV cam via the DV Input. As I had feared, though, it made no difference, and the Philips again recorded a vertically squished 4:3 aspect ratio from my 16:9 DV cam source.

Although I'm disappointed, of course, I'm glad I could contribute a little piece of knowledge as a token of my appreciation for the treasury of info wajo's got going on this machine.

It also made me realize how lucky I am to have a Toshiba RD-XS35 that can do this correctly, and so to help ensure its longevity, since such machines appear to be going out of production, for the US market anyway, I ordered a spare Maxtor 6L160P0 HDD for when the Tosh's HDD goes "Total Inability To Support Usual Performance."

For me, alas, the inabilty to record 16:9 from a 16:9 DV cam source is a dealbreaker, so I'm afraid it's going back mañana to join the ranks of all those good-as-new DVD recorder open boxes at Best Buy. My loss will be someone else's gain.
post #284 of 25971 Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

plplpl, thanks for going to all the trouble to do this test, even tho disappointing!
post #285 of 25971 Old 01-19-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

OK, I unpacked it and set it up again to try this out. I set the Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide before recording from my miniDV cam via the DV Input. As I had feared, though, it made no difference, and the Philips again recorded a vertically squished 4:3 aspect ratio from my 16:9 DV cam source.

Although I'm disappointed, of course, I'm glad I could contribute a little piece of knowledge as a token of my appreciation for the treasury of info wajo's got going on this machine.

It also made me realize how lucky I am to have a Toshiba RD-XS35 that can do this correctly, and so to help ensure its longevity, since such machines appear to be going out of production, for the US market anyway, I ordered a spare Maxtor 6L160P0 HDD for when the Tosh's HDD goes "Total Inability To Support Usual Performance."

For me, alas, the inabilty to record 16:9 from a 16:9 DV cam source is a dealbreaker, so I'm afraid it's going back mañana to join the ranks of all those good-as-new DVD recorder open boxes at Best Buy. My loss will be someone else's gain.

Well, there were some "details" left out of plplpl's DV copy test, which are fully described in this post. Apparently, the DV camera is a year 2000 model and the "firewire interface is an earlier version of the protocol which is not completetely up to date with the latest spec."

So, anyone else should still try copying their home movies from THEIR new-and-up-to-date DV widescreen camera and see what happens... still may not record in widescreen aspect thru an external input, but won't know for sure until someone else tries with a camera with up-to-date DV specs.
post #286 of 25971 Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Good point, it's worth a test by someone who has a more recent DV camera.

However, as mentioned, the Toshiba RD-XS35 does it and so do my computer DV capture applications, from Vegas to Ulead to even plain vanilla Windows Movie Maker. The problem with the older protocol shows up for whether the camera is detected via Firewire, not whether it can capture 16:9.

Still, it's worth testing, so anyone with a more recent model DV camera who shoots widescreen, please have a go at it.
post #287 of 25971 Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #288 of 25971 Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I called Philip tech support and was informed to set timer recording 15 minutes ahead of recording time.

It works out. I set up timer recording 15 minutes in advance and tested couple times. All test went successfully.
post #289 of 25971 Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I called Philip tech support and was informed to set timer recording 15 minutes ahead of recording time.

It works out. I set up timer recording 15 minutes in advance and tested couple times. All test went successfully.

There should be no reason to set a timer for 15 minutes early just to make it happen.

Since you're recording only from your sat box via E1 on the 3575, I suspect your 3575 may be looking for a time signal at noon and midnight, but you don't have a coax in the Ant In on the 3575. I believe that could be "confusing" the internal clock system.

I think you should go to your Setup > General Setting > Clock menu and make the following changes and see if they help:

Clock Setting ... Set the current time manually.
Auto Clock Setting ... OFF.
Daylight Saving Time ... OFF.

Even if you had a coax on the 3575's Ant In, I'd recommend those changes anyway.

Set up a test timer program for a "normal" time, like starting at 7:00 PM instead of 15 minutes ahead? Make sure you set the AM/PM separate from the times... some brands don't have the AM/PM as separately set items (Pio 640 for one).
post #290 of 25971 Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

What exactly do you mean by this. Do you mean, you set the unit up to start recording 15 min before the desired time. Or, do you mean that you programmed the unit at least 15 min before the recording event was scheduled to kick in.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #291 of 25971 Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

There should be no reason to set a timer for 15 minutes early just to make it happen.

Since you're recording only from your sat box via E1 on the 3575, I suspect your 3575 may be looking for a time signal at noon and midnight, but you don't have a coax in the Ant In on the 3575. I believe that could be "confusing" the internal clock system.

I think you should go to your Setup > General Setting > Clock menu and make the following changes and see if they help:

Clock Setting ... Set the current time manually.
Auto Clock Setting ... OFF.
Daylight Saving Time ... OFF.

Even if you had a coax on the 3575's Ant In, I'd recommend those changes anyway.

Set up a test timer program for a "normal" time, like starting at 7:00 PM instead of 15 minutes ahead? Make sure you set the AM/PM separate from the times... some brands don't have the AM/PM as separately set items (Pio 640 for one).

You are absolutely correct. Following your suggestion, I reset the time to "manual" and tested the timer programming again. I set it up to record a 3-minute piece just 2 minutes before it starts. It worked perfectly.
post #292 of 25971 Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

What exactly do you mean by this. Do you mean, you set the unit up to start recording 15 min before the desired time. Or, do you mean that you programmed the unit at least 15 min before the recording event was scheduled to kick in.

The Philip Support suggested to program the unit 15 min before the recording piece starts.

Anyway, it turned out really don't have to be so. Wajo suggested a configuration that works out my issue. See my above reply.
post #293 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 AM

Ok guys, I have read this manual until my eyes said that was a f###### enough and I have been reading the forum until I got a headache. If someone could please help me out it would be most appreciated. Ok, I got my new Philips 3575 just a few days ago (last one on the shelf at Walmart, HMMM don't know if that's a good thing or not).

Someone please explain to me why I can't set a timer recording for more than one channel using a directtv satellite box. I can set a timer recording for one channel, but the satellite box has to be left on to that channel to record it. So after reading the forum for a few hours, I can't find the answer to my question. Obviously, the DVDR does not auto pre-set channels from the satellite box, why is this? I am brand new to recorders so I am trying to learn and understand how they function. All the channels do come through via the E1 connection and I am able to change channels via the satellite box while viewing via the DVDR. Do you have to manually set the satelllite channels into the DVDR? any help would GREATLY< GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks
post #294 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

No DVDR's, including the 3575 can tune Sat. channels. They will all need to be tuned using the Sat. tuner. Cable is different, you can tune some channels directly on the 3575's built in tuner, but NOT sat.
For Sat. use, most people use the sat. companies own DVR. And just use the 3575 to offload content to the HDD or DVD.
post #295 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

No DVDR's, including the 3575 can tune Sat. channels. They will all need to be tuned using the Sat. tuner. Cable is different, you can tune some channels directly on the 3575's built in tuner, but NOT sat.
For Sat. use, most people use the sat. companies own DVR. And just use the 3575 to offload content to the HDD or DVD.

Thanks jjeff for the reply, so what you are saying is that the way that I am doing it now, by setting a recording date and time and leaving the sat box on that channel is the only way that I can record. One channel at a time.
post #296 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rct0361 View Post

Thanks jjeff for the reply, so what you are saying is that the way that I am doing it now, by setting a recording date and time and leaving the sat box on that channel is the only way that I can record. One channel at a time.

Check your sat tuner instructions - most of them can be programmed directly from the built-in program guide, or by setting up your own timers. When I record from my sat tuner, I first select the future program to watch there on the guide, causing a "tune to this channel" timer to be set automatically. Then I go to the Philips, and set a record timer there for the same future time on E1 (external SVideo input from the sat receiver).
post #297 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Check your sat tuner instructions - most of them can be programmed directly from the built-in program guide, or by setting up your own timers. When I record from my sat tuner, I first select the future program to watch there on the guide, causing a "tune to this channel" timer to be set automatically. Then I go to the Philips, and set a record timer there for the same future time on E1 (external SVideo input from the sat receiver).

Thanks amesdp for the reply,

HMMMM, ok some more info that I didn't know (hate being a rookie at this stuff) but I do love learning how to make it work. Ok, so now what you are saying is to check my manual for the HD sat receiver that I have and try to set a program to view in a future date a time and then I can set the Philips to those date and times and it will be able to record those channels. I think I understand what you are meaning, now do I have to leave the sat box on all the time when I am wanting to record. Thanks again for your help.
post #298 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I would think it would depend on your Sat. box. Some may have the ability to turn on by themselves, I'm just not sure. I don't have Sat.
post #299 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I would think it would depend on your Sat. box. Some may have the ability to turn on by themselves, I'm just not sure. I don't have Sat.

Thanks again jjeff,

I am going to check the sat box out tonight when I get off work. Never thought about the settings on the sat box playing a role with DVDR setting. That's why I love these forums, get more technical expertise out of this site than I do calling Philips customer service SO-CALLED Technical Experts. YEAH RIGHT THEY ARE.
post #300 of 25971 Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, my sat tuner turns on automatically at the programmed times (or probably more accurately it's never really "off", just on standby).
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page