Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

Try setting the HDMI out on the 3576 to 720P you may have to turn tv off then on for HDMI to handshake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

If you first plugged the Component cables in and mixed the blue and green cables, like I've done before when working in the dark, you won't get a pic thru Component but you will get sound. Hoping that might be the case there. I have to shine a bright flashlight on my Component cables cuz I can't differentiate easily as some people can... my wife, for instance!

But when you tried HDMI and didn't get a pic, hmmmm.

Just to be sure, you are selecting the HDMI input on your TV first, right?
Then you pressed the HDMI button on the remote to "activate" HDMI, right?
You could also try disconnecting the Component video and audio connections to see if the TV locks out HDMI when both are connected.

If all OK so far, then not sure anymore cuz Component should have worked if cables weren't switched and you selected that TV input to view.

Samsungs sometimes have a problem in the HDMI handshake, which just takes finding the proper power-on sequence, TV then DVDR or vice versa, but the Component not working first, except for playing DVDs, suggests something else.

Can you at least get the SETUP menus???

First thank you.

Tried Auskck's suggestion and that didn't make a difference

SETUP menu's, you mean from the Philips? If so yes I can. Then I tried all of Wajo's suggestions and still no change. When I unplugged the component cables from the Philips I still had audio but no picture. when I change channels sometimes I get a blue screen and sometimes a black flickering screen but still audio is there. I even tried both component options on the back of the Samsung not making a difference either. Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to get Digital TV from my Antenna I need to use either HDMI or the Component cables not the RCA style right? The reason I ask is because that is the only option I haven't tried. I am at a loss. Now I don't necessarily need to watch TV through the Philips but I do need to record (either HDD or DVD-RW, prefer the HDD) and be able to watch the program I recorded. I have not tried to record yet since I am not sure it will work. Will it? Should I try it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins1lrb View Post

First thank you.

SETUP menu's, you mean from the Philips? If so yes I can. Then I tried all of Wajo's suggestions and still no change. When I unplugged the component cables from the Philips I still had audio but no picture. when I change channels sometimes I get a blue screen and sometimes a black flickering screen but still audio is there. I even tried both component options on the back of the Samsung not making a difference either. Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to get Digital TV from my Antenna I need to use either HDMI or the Component cables not the RCA style right? The reason I ask is because that is the only option I haven't tried. I am at a loss. Now I don't necessarily need to watch TV through the Philips but I do need to record (either HDD or DVD-RW, prefer the HDD) and be able to watch the program I recorded. I have not tried to record yet since I am not sure it will work. Will it? Should I try it?

I only use HDMI for watching commercial DVDs. Otherwise I use digital Composite cables (Y/W/R RCA) for watching stuff from the HDD and home-made DVDs.

In unplugging the Component cables, it would have been better to pull them from the TV... it might still think there's a Component-connected device?

You also did an Auto Channel Preset > Antenna, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3333 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First thank you.

First we need to get video and audio to the TV. Let's just try playing a DVD to see what we get. Try a commercial DVD.
post #3334 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:

I only use HDMI for watching commercial DVDs. Otherwise I use digital Composite cables (Y/W/R RCA) for watching stuff from the HDD and home-made DVDs.

In unplugging the Component cables, it would have been better to pull them from the TV... it might still think there's a Component-connected device?

You also did an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital), right?

Wajo - Ok I unplugged the Component cables from the TV and they are also unplugged from the Philips.
I should pick Cable even though I have an Antenna (large outdoor style) and not cable?

Quote:

First we need to get video and audio to the TV. Let's just try playing a DVD to see what we get. Try a commercial DVD.

Auskck - I did put a Commercial DVD in and I do get a picture, which is mainly why I am at a loss for why I can't see a picture for the Digital TV.
post #3335 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You did go into setup and scan for Over the air digital channels and analog ones? If not you might only get a blue or black screen on the tuner as no channels at all are setup...
post #3336 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wajo - Ok I unplugged the Component cables from the TV and they are also unplugged from the Philips.
I should pick Cable even though I have an Antenna (large outdoor style) and not cable?

Auskck - I did put a Commercial DVD in and I do get a picture, which is mainly why I am at a loss for why I can't see a picture for the Digital TV.

I hope sound as well. We are half way there. Is the antenna still connected to the 3576, Press setup on the 3576 remote, do you get the setup display? If yes select General Setup, select Channel, now auto channel preset, now select Antenna. 3576 will now search for channels. What do you have now?
post #3337 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

You did go into setup and scan for Over the air digital channels and analog ones? If not you might only get a blue or black screen on the tuner as no channels at all are setup...

We are working on that now.
post #3338 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I hope sound as well. We are half way there. Is the antenna still connected to the 3576, Press setup on the 3576 remote, do you get the setup display? If yes select General Setup, select Channel, now auto channel preset, now select Antenna. 3576 will now search for channels. What do you have now?

Yes antenna is connected to 3576 and out to the samsung. I did do a scan under Antenna and that is where I am without a picture but there is sound and it does show the channel as a digital channel not an analog.
post #3339 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Thank you,yes I did originally do the Antenna scan and it does pickup all the channels that the TV does but no picture just sound.
post #3340 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes antenna is connected to 3576 and out to the samsung. I did do a scan under Antenna and that is where I am without a picture but there is sound and it does show the channel as a digital channel not an analog.

By pressing source on the remote step through the inputs.
It should cycle through all inputs and channels your 3576 pickup
Or channel up/down on the remote
post #3341 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My error... pick Antenna... sorry!

But the fact you get sound makes that question moot anyway!

With the Samsung, it really is getting down to either a defective tuner (you don't even get any analogs?) or a handshake issue in the TV.

Try turning both units off and on like one guy did to find the order of turning power on in sequence... he would ONLY get a pic when he turned the DVDR off, then back on again, so we figured that was the order for his Samsung... TV on first, then DVDR on.

If that doesn't work, I'd even try a DVDR on then off then on, like he found the answer to his problem?

Make sure you press the HDMI button on the remote at least once.

|
|
|
post #3342 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Thank you,yes I did originally do the Antenna scan and it does pickup all the channels that the TV does but no picture just sound.

Double check your cables. Maybe a faulty cable?
post #3343 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

By pressing source on the remote step through the inputs.
It should cycle through all inputs and channels your 3576 pickup

When I press the source button on the remote there is just the TV and the HDMI lit up.
Not sure what you mean by "It should cycle through all inputs and channels your 3576 pickup"
post #3344 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

dolphins, since you now have only the HDMi connected, and you're selecting that input on the TV, and you say you're getting sound only (thru the HDMI)have you pressed the HDMI button on the DVDR remote at least once already?

|
|
|
post #3345 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I press the source button on the remote there is just the TV and the HDMI lit up.
Not sure what you mean by "It should cycle through all inputs and channels your 3576 pickup"

Each time you press the button it should go to the next input.
Try pressing Channel Up/Down
post #3346 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:

My error... pick Antenna... sorry!

But the fact you get sound makes that question moot anyway!

With the Samsung, it really is getting down to either a defective tuner (you don't even get any analogs?) or a handshake issue in the TV.

Try turning both units off and on like one guy did to find the order of turning power on in sequence... he would ONLY get a pic when he turned the DVDR off, then back on again, so we figured that was the order for his Samsung... TV on first, then DVDR on.

If that doesn't work, I'd even try a DVDR on then off then on, like he found the answer to his problem?

Make sure you press the HDMI button on the remote at least once.

When you say defective tuner you mean in the 3576 right?.
I did turn off both and tried the different on off sequences and not difference. I just tried the DVDR off on off and then on again and no difference
I did press the HDMI button and tried each one no difference either.

The only thing plugged into the back of the 3576 DVDR is the HDMI to the Samsung and a Optical Digital Audio out put to my Denon Receiver and the antenna in and out.

I even just changed the HDMI from #1 to #3 and no differece.
post #3347 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Yes it goes between the TV and the HDMI
post #3348 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:

dolphins, since you now have only the HDMi connected, and you're selecting that input on the TV, and you say you're getting sound only (thru the HDMI)have you pressed the HDMI button on the DVDR remote at least once already?

Yes.
post #3349 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you say defective tuner you mean in the 3576 right?.
I did turn off both and tried the different on off sequences and not difference. I just tried the DVDR off on off and then on again and no difference
I did press the HDMI button and tried each one no difference either.

The only thing plugged into the back of the 3576 DVDR is the HDMI to the Samsung and a Optical Digital Audio out put to my Denon Receiver and the antenna in and out.

I even just changed the HDMI from #1 to #3 and no differece.

Dumb question but I have to ask. Can you watch TV from the pass through? Using the TV's tuner.
post #3350 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Double check your cables. Maybe a faulty cable?

Brand new HDMI cable. If it were faulty would I be able to have a picture from a Commercial DVD?
post #3351 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Dumb question but I have to ask. Can you watch TV from the pass through? Using the TV's tuner.

You mean if I pick the TV as the source and not the HDMI for the 3576?
post #3352 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Yes
post #3353 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean if I pick the TV as the source and not the HDMI for the 3576?

Yes, antenna IN
post #3354 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Yes, antenna IN

Yes.

I thought I saw where someone asked if it was the same for analog stations as it with digital stations and my answer would be no. When I push the DTV/TV button there is no sound on the analog side and I can't even change channels it just cycles through a menu of E1(rear), E2(front), E3(DV-in) no device, USB no device no channels.

May be someone can answer a question about the info button on the remote, when I press it for the E1 (rear) it gives a menu header is there something in that? when it is up it has at the top of the screen: t---/---c---/--- under that it has pictures. is there something in there that maybe isn't set right?

Wow sorry for all these questions and problems. I didn't realize how much a novice I am. really sorry
post #3355 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.

I thought I saw where someone asked if it was the same for analog stations as it with digital stations and my answer would be no. When I push the DTV/TV button there is no sound on the analog side and I can't even change channels it just cycles through a menu of E1(rear), E2(front), E3(DV-in) no device, USB no device no channels.

May be someone can answer a question about the info button on the remote, when I press it for the E1 (rear) it gives a menu header is there something in that? when it is up it has at the top of the screen: t---/---c---/--- under that it has pictures. is there something in there that maybe isn't set right?

Wow sorry for all these questions and problems. I didn't realize how much a novice I am. really sorry

You are not connected to E1 so don't worry about that now.
When using the 3576 tuner through HDMI what happens when you press channel up/down does it cycle through the channels.
post #3356 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

dolphins1lrb
Lets take the AVR out of the system disconnect the digital audio out.
Turn volume on the TV up. Do you still get sound when trying to use the 3576?
post #3357 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:

You are not connected to E1 so don't worry about that now.
When using the 3576 tuner through HDMI what happens when you press channel up/down does it cycle through the channels.

So the none of those have anything to do with this? When I do push the info button 2 times it does show a picture of a HDMi cable, Video Info.: 720p/ YCbCr and the next line is Audio Info.: PCM
then in another box to the right it has: dtv 2.1
then at the bottom in the left hand corner it has a little white box.

Yes the channels change but still no picture, just the audio.

Will the HDD recorder, that will record but will I be able to see a picture?
post #3358 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:

dolphins1lrb
Lets take the AVR out of the system disconnect the digital audio out.
Turn volume on the TV up. Do you still get sound when trying to use the 3576?

I don't have the AVR on just the TV, does that make a difference?
post #3359 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The fact that you don't get ANY analog channels on antenna might mean something, unless ALL your stations no longer send the analog signals... doubtful... too soon.

I think it's time for a 3576 Hard Reset, which will wipe channel memory and any timer rec programs you already set (maybe none since it's not giving a pic?).

Press SKIP 123 on the remote and view the FW data screen.

Press OK button on remote. That does a "hard reset" to factory settings.

Then, do another SETUP procedure with Auto Channel Preset > Antenna and see what happens.

|
|
|
post #3360 of 25902 Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:

The fact that you don't get ANY analog channels on antenna might mean something, unless ALL your stations no longer send the analog signals... doubtful... too soon.

I think it's time for a 3576 Hard Reset, which will wipe channel memory and any timer rec programs you already set (maybe none since it's not giving a pic?).

Press SKIP 123 on the remote and view the FW data screen.

Press OK button on remote. That does a "hard reset" to factory settings.

Then, do another SETUP procedure with Auto Channel Preset > Antenna and see what happens.

Just did it and no change. still no picture but still have sound.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page