Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 25746 Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I time-recorded two movies in one title couple days ago. I split the title - each for one movie then tried to delete some commercials before dubbing to disc. Well, the DVDR did not allow me to edit after title split.

Does 3575 prevent you from editing after splitting a title?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 25746 Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Does the title play OK from the HDD?

Yes, the title plays normally from the HDD.
post #363 of 25746 Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge2k View Post

I time-recorded two movies in one title couple days ago. I split the title - each for one movie then tried to delete some commercials before dubbing to disc. Well, the DVDR did not allow me to edit after title split.

Does 3575 prevent you from editing after splitting a title?

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the other DVDR3573 thread, but check out the excellent post by WAJO. It is a great first read before doing any posting in either forum. Go to the "First" page of this thread and look at the first article. It has lots of great topics written by WAJO. Rear items 22 and 16 which address your problem.
post #364 of 25746 Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta Orchid View Post

Hello, I have had my unit for a few months and everything has worked fine up till recently. I seem to remember someone here mentioning a problem a little while ago, where after a title has been dubbed onto DVD the sound cuts out at chapter marks or edit points, and only comes back when you push FF and then play.

In the problem title, check the spacing of chapter marks and see if any are "on top of each other", i.e., very close to another mark.

If you have auto-chapter on and set for 5 minutes, for example, then make many deletions, which also set chapter marks, the marks "collide" and confuse the machine during editing or playback.

Even if a title plays back OK on the HDD, a high-speed dub moves chapter marks to locations that are in spec with MPEG2 rules, which *might* make a dubbed copy play badly?

Let us know if all your chapter marks seem "nicely" spaced or not? Looks for closeness in the HDD original.
post #365 of 25746 Old 02-22-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone23 View Post

Here's where I am: I recorded to the HDD a 2 hr. show from pbs in the HQ setting, edited out the scenes I didn't want, got it down to 1:53, then dubbed to show to disk. Of course 2 hrs in HQ won't fit on a disk so I thought I dubbed it down to SP, the whole show is on there. The disk shows about 7 min left. When I look at the title of the unfinaized disk looks like it's showing HQ over on the right, and also for the unused portion. I don't know why, would have thought it should say SP.

I just ran into this same thing. Recorded a show on HQ, real-time-dubbed to disc at SP mode (for a test), and the dubbed title showed "HQ."

Thought I had made a mistake, did it again, and again it showed "HQ."

Did more real-time dubs at all rec modes and each one ended up showing "HQ."

Tested each dubbed title on my Pio 640 with the bit-rate meter and each dubbed title showed a Mbps in the normal range for SP, SPP, LP, EP and SLP modes, even tho they ALL showed "HQ" on the disc.

Just a FYI that HQ titles may show "HQ" on discs no matter what other, real-time dub mode you might use.

Can't find a reasonable explanation. So far, it;s just an FYI.
post #366 of 25746 Old 02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Keep in mind that the recording quality (like HQ or SP) is a record-time property of the recorder, not a property of the the resulting digital data. It's added to the original title information by the recorder, which is I assume why it gets copied "as is" to subsequent dubbed versions, regardless of changes in dubbing quality.
post #367 of 25746 Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I just ran into this same thing. Recorded a show on HQ, real-time-dubbed to disc at SP mode (for a test), and the dubbed title showed "HQ."

Thought I had made a mistake, did it again, and again it showed "HQ."

Did more real-time dubs at all rec modes and each one ended up showing "HQ."

Tested each dubbed title on my Pio 640 with the bit-rate meter and each dubbed title showed a Mbps in the normal range for SP, SPP, LP, EP and SLP modes, even tho they ALL showed "HQ" on the disc.

Just a FYI that HQ titles may show "HQ" on discs no matter what other, real-time dub mode you might use.

Can't find a reasonable explanation. So far, it;s just an FYI.

As Ames suggested, further testing proved the rec mode in the title is just the auto-title the 3575 gives the original recording. Dubbing that title w/o changing the Title Name carries the rec mode with it... it's just a part of the original title as recorded. It's the 1st line of the 2-line title assigned by the 3575. The 2nd line is the date and length of the title.

Once you change the Title Name, the disc title(s) carries the new name you gave it on the 1st line, which won't ordinarily have the rec mode as part of the title. It'll read something like "Aunt Mabel's Wart Removal by Dr. 90210!"
post #368 of 25746 Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 AM

A tuner oddity:

I have two 3575s hooked up to our analog/digital cable feed, and recently the refurbed unit can't find one digital channel (our PBS HD feed, 92.46) that the one other can. All the other local digital/HD channels are there, and this machine used to find this channel, but since yesterday it scans and returns a blue screen. Very odd. I haven't tried swapping physical wiring yet (that's a hands-and-knees job), but all the other settings I can think of checking are the same on both units. Weird. Are there any signal-strength issues on the digital side that would account for one channel not showing up? (The PBS station has a habit of its digital signal dropping and returning--spoiled a couple of Masterpiece Theatre recordings.)
post #369 of 25746 Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I assume you have both 3575s "daisy-chained" on the coax, so each should be receiving about the same signal strength, EXCEPT that the 3575 has an "active" RF passthru, so the 2nd unit in the chain will get a slightly amplified signal. Not sure how this might affect your signal and its strength.

On the "missing" channel in one unit, check out this post on Scanning and follow the procedure for Finding Hidden Channels... essentially doing a Manual Preset for one or more specific channels that the 3575 skips cuz the XX.1 primary channel is Scrambled.

EDIT: I just saw an older post of yours where you said you split the incoming cable three ways. Here's a better way to connect your two 3575s (daisy chain on the coax then on to your box, then on to your TV. Separate line connections for each 3575 to watch something internal to either 3575 (tuner, HDD, DVD, menus.)
post #370 of 25746 Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Our video setup has "just growed" to the point where it takes me an hour to physically and logically untangle the interconnections, so I rarely rearrange cables lest one of our three recorders wind up unable to record from the STB or somehow get cut off from the TV's 3.5 inputs (the component-in shares audio with input #3). Our two main weapons in signal-routing are a 4x1 bi-directional RF distribution amp, a passive JVC A/V switch, and an extra Radio Shack A/V switch. . . . wait, among our weaponry are. . . .

Anyhow, the signal to Philips #2 should be as strong as that to #1, since three recorders and the TV get amplified feeds from the RF switch. Maybe I'll take a slow afternoon and relabel all the cables, then disassemble the whole pot of spaghetti and reconfigure. Or maybe I'll just make sure I record PBS-HD on Philips #1.
post #371 of 25746 Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I also have had up to 4 dvdr's and 2 VHS's all sharing one antenna. I daisy chain everything. That is go from antenna to RF in first device, RF out first device to RF in second device, etc. I do not need a distribution amp and the signal which eventually makes it to the TV as the last stop, looks perfectly fine.
Note I have the RF modulators that I can, turned off, and the VCR's that I cannot turn them off, I have as the last devices on the line.
I would personally suggest this way, instead of the distribution amp, but it's your choice.
I believe it's been documented that the signal might even be better daisy chaining through the 3575, vs the dist. amp.
post #372 of 25746 Old 02-24-2008, 09:30 PM

wajo:

I'm considering buying one of these--possibly as early as this weekend--but elsewhere on this forum, I've seen references to FF/REW issues for discs recorded on the Philips and presumably finalized thereon when these discs are played on other units. Is this so and has it been addressed by Philips?

Also, I scanned your explanation of recording widescreen movies, but I think I missed something. Here's my current setup: Comcast analog through RF (no cable box). Currently, when I record a widescreen title off TCM, I get the lettterbox print (the black bars don't bother me a bit). MY TV is a Panny no-great-shakes analog, but my brother has a Sharp Aquous widescreen (same cable hookup) so my question has relevance for both of us. Will we continue to have the letterbox prints when we record them with the Philips (he's considering buying one, too)?
post #373 of 25746 Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

PatH:

The FF/REW "issue" if not really an issue, it just refers to DVD+R discs, which might not have all the "normal" FF/REW speeds of certain machines when playing them back. +R Discs created on my 3575 will play back fine on my Pio and Panny players, but they have only two FF speeds rather than 3 or 4. If that bothers someone, they can simply use -R discs.

To get a widescreen (WS) live pic and recordings, you have to change the 3575's "TV Aspect" setting in the Video menu to "16:9 Wide"... the default setting is "4:3 Letter Box." I run my 3575s on 16:9 Wide setting for all my recordings since it doesn't affect 4:3 analog channels anyway, so both 4:3 and 16:9 recordings always play back in their natural format. On my 16:9 LCD, I also always set it for "Wide" since the slight stretching of 4:3 recordings doesn't bother me, altho if I was a "purist" I could always change my TV's aspect to "Normal" when watching 4:3 recordings, which places the 4:3 pic in the center of my 16:9 screen with black bars.

If anyone wants more detailed info on WS, see this post.
post #374 of 25746 Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The FF/RW limitations are probably something to do with the recording data rate (i.e., SP vs. SPP etc.). Some DVD players may have fewer levels of FF/RW when the video data is more compressed.
post #375 of 25746 Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Not in my case. Material recorded at any speed on a +RW and played back on my Panny's either have X2, X4 or x10000?(whole 2hr disc in <5 seconds) scan rates. With +R's the have x2,x4 and x8? until finalized, after finalization they have all the normal visual scan rates. Everything is recorded on either a Panny ES15,25,30 or EZ-17 and played back on those, or a Sony DVD player. I have tried probably 2 different brand +R's and 2 different +RW's, and the 4 acted the same with regard to the scan rate. But scan rate aside I have no problems with + discs, expect none play on my ancient Apex player which I rarely use anymore. Oh and the Apex doesn't play -RW's either.
PatH-If I still had my 3575 I would probably be using + discs in it, since I believe + discs are more native to Philips, I believe they invented the + standard. And again once the +R discs have been finalized in my case anyway they have all the scan speeds, even on my Panny's.
post #376 of 25746 Old 02-25-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatH View Post

Here's my current setup: Comcast analog through RF (no cable box). Currently, when I record a widescreen title off TCM, I get the lettterbox print (the black bars don't bother me a bit).

TCM is an analog channel, presented in the 4x3 format. So, you will always get the letter box bars. To get a 16x9 anamorphic recording, you will have to record a digital channel showing a 16x9 program, using your QAM tuner. Then your DVDR, which records EVERYTHING in a 4x3 frame, should get a 16x9 picture squeezed to 4x3, which a digital TV will stretch out, back to 16x9.
post #377 of 25746 Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

NOTICE 2/26/08:

In the 2nd half of 2007, Comcast Cable started rolling out "Switched Digital Video" (SDV) which delivers digital channels only ON DEMAND from a subscriber. You have to have their box which communicates with the "Optical Node" that delivers channels only when demanded by tuning to a channel thru their box. I think this means that a standalone device won't be able to maintain a digital signal on its own cuz it's a "moving target"... here one moment then gone another!?

Here's an article on Comcast's rollout of Switched Digital Video after a 2-market test.

Here's a Wiki entry on Switched Video for more info.

Time Warner (TW) also started rolling out Switched Video to 50% of their market in late 2007.

Add Cox to the SDV conspirators, as well as Cablevision, both mentioned in this article.

UPDATE 1/4/08

Some recent good news: according to one user here, TW is using SDV ONLY for low-viewership channels which they deliver only when a subscriber tunes those channels, so it does NOT interfere with the "normal" QAM channels a cableco delivers "in the clear." So far, then, nothing is "lost" to users of this DVDR due to SDV!
post #378 of 25746 Old 02-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Wajo:

Thanks for your answers. I am so close to pulling the trigger on this. One other thing: Did I see somewhere in your articles that the machine doesn't allow user titles but only gives date and time of recordings? I may easily be and hope I am in error on this, though.

PatH
post #379 of 25746 Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Pat, the 3575 allows you to change the std title it gives to a recording after it's recorded, it just doesn't automatically pick up a broadcast or TVG title, as some DVDRs do. Before making dub copies to DVD, changing the title is one of the first steps you should take so it provides the info you want, like "Dr. 90210 Cutting Off Aunt Mabel's Warts" or something along those lines.
post #380 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 AM

Thanks again, Wajo. Now a real silly one. I saw a couple of posts saying that the latest and greatest DVR's would doubtless unveil at January's CES. As it's now almost March, is there anything out there to top this Philips (without, of course, having to ship from Japan and make modifications for US usage. I know I'm almost ready to go to war with Panasonic and others for not providing HDD models (I have a Panny EH55 and an EH75 and I state without exception that I will never buy another DVR from any manufacturer without a HDD so that I can High Speed dub. That's the main reason I object to the DVR's cable provides because while it's my understanding that you can dump through cables (nonflagged material, of course), you have to do it in real time. UGH!

Putting the first part of all that another way, how old is the Philips? You always have to make a choice when you buy,knowing that something better will always follow later, but how much time do I have before I'm behind the curve (and, again, I'll always consider myself ahead as long as I have HDD while others settle for non HDD)? Thanks again.

PatH
post #381 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There's a new model, the 3576H, that was announced and is supposed to be out soon. Looks to be about the same, but might have a bigger hard drive. Maybe. Might just be the European model that does, though.
post #382 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 AM

Rammitinski:

I went to www.philips.com to check for any info about this model. I specifed US (American flag icon). Imagine my surprise when I checked dvd recorders and was given only 2 dvd/vcr's and no hdd. I got the impression that the dvd side might have only been players, but that is only an impression. I then changed my search parm to global English (British flag icon) and found 10 dvd recorders, 6 with HDD, and at least 2 of those with 250GB. Conclusion: either their site is screwed up (possible, but unlikely) or, more ominously, get the 3575H while you can. Clicking on a listing of pages on their site about the 3575H produced a message saying the page was no longer available. Look for yourself.

PatH
post #383 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #384 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Pat that USA website is always changing & messed up. I just went to it and clicked "show all" by the DVD players & recorders and it had 9 players only, no recorders. If you go to the international website they have a whole bunch of different models, some up to 250Gb. Then you click on where to buy and find out which country they are sold in. It's a PITA! Here is a website if you want to get a good deal on their "factory renewed" stuff: http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_re...ue&shop=OUTLET
post #385 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM

For something different, here is an issue I hope hasn't been covered before.
The other day I was doing some dubbing from my camcorder via the firewire input. I guess I had a false start on one of my dubs. When I pressed 'play' on the camera and 'record' on the DVDR (I know, I should use the syncro. set-up), instead of the video feed I got a black screen with a big red dot in the upper left corner. I looked nice but it's not what I wanted. I stopped the process quickly, maybe too quickly. So now I have a title on my hard drive that is, you guessed it, a black screen with a big red dot.
Problem...it shows 00:00 for length and the title won't delet. I can select it and get the menu options and select the options but none work. Any idea how I can delet this monster or should I just give it a name I can live with? I did try a reset where I unplugged the unit for a few minutes.

Any help is appreciated,
ja
post #386 of 25746 Old 02-27-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, mine occurred the same way... tried to stop a manual REC immediately after starting it. It might be a case of the unit trying to display the REC with red circle on screen and you stop the recording while that's still being displayed. Doesn't seem to happen once that display goes away.

I tried every way to get rid of the evil 0:00 red-eye and gave up, turned the unit off. My wife turned it on next day and started deleting watched titles, and in the course of that, she deleted it normally. She said it just took a woman's touch.

I think it just needs time... or a woman?
post #387 of 25746 Old 02-28-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If all else fails, in the options for HDD,
choose Delete All Titles.
post #388 of 25746 Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM

Is there any difference between the Philips DVDR3575H/37 and a Philips
Philips DVDR3575H? If there are two models, what does the "/37" mean?

PatH
post #389 of 25746 Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

37 means North American version. I think EU is 3575H/31.
post #390 of 25746 Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 AM

Wow! Best forum post I've ever seen (in 27 years of forum following, yep).
I became a registered user just to say thanks, I'm blown away and elated to find such a comprehensive treatise on not just a subject of interest but one that's been frustrating me for months.
I go so far as to say I uttered a mental "Daaaa**" (don't like 4 letter language but it was an honest reaction) when I saw the scope of this information.
Thanks Poster and AVS- Mike
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page