Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 162 - AVS Forum
First ... 160  161  162 163  164  ... Last
DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575
gastrof's Avatar gastrof 07:33 PM 04-29-2009
You'd think it'd be more in the interests of the cable companies to send out the channels currently counted as part of the "basic" package (not just OTAs, but actual basic cable channels) unscrambled. People with QAM equipment would be able to tune those channels without the cable company having to provide them with those "free digital converter" cheapo cable boxes.

As far as regulation/deregulation is concerned, you'd think it'd still be up to local authorities to decide what cable company they'll licence for their community, and thus have SOME say in what services (or types of service) are offered.

gastrof's Avatar gastrof 07:39 PM 04-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

FYI: Looks like Walmart's supply has outlasted the demand for the Magnavox H2160

I just checked their site....

Not only does it say $188, it says it WAS $219.

That's NOT what I paid. Paid quite a bit more.

I wonder if I should re-order and return the 1st machine? Would they let me?
wajo's Avatar wajo 07:48 PM 04-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I just checked their site....

Not only does it say $188, it says it WAS $219.

That's NOT what I paid. Paid quite a bit more.

I wonder if I should re-order and return the 1st machine? Would they let me?

That's the 2080.
gastrof's Avatar gastrof 10:38 PM 04-29-2009
Seems I clicked the wrong link. Thanks. Still, seems I paid about ten dollars more than the site shows for the 2160. Oh well, at least it's not as big a difference.
Johnla's Avatar Johnla 03:36 AM 04-30-2009
No, it's still the same price as it was on 4-19-09 when I ordered one.
auskck's Avatar auskck 04:18 AM 04-30-2009
FYI: IMO you won't see to many more 2160's being built, simple reason is the sourcing of the IDE 160gb drive. IMO if there is a new version of the Magnavox on the horizon it will have a sata drive.
SteelTownGuy's Avatar SteelTownGuy 07:14 AM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Seems I clicked the wrong link. Thanks. Still, seems I paid about ten dollars more than the site shows for the 2160. Oh well, at least it's not as big a difference.

Maybe you're forgetting taxes? I paid $15 tax on the 2160A I just bought.

Quote:

FYI: IMO you won't see to many more 2160's being built, simple reason is the sourcing of the IDE 160gb drive. IMO if there is a new version of the Magnavox on the horizon it will have a sata drive.

I agree. IDE drives cost more than SATA now. I'll take it a step further and say that I don't think a new version (as much of a dream as it might be) would come out with less than a 320GB HDD. Granted, these things are extremely price sensitive. I don't think they could raise prices much and expect to sell any, but 320GB is at the bottom end of the widely available drive sizes at the moment.
auskck's Avatar auskck 08:38 AM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Maybe you're forgetting taxes? I paid $15 tax on the 2160A I just bought.

I agree. IDE drives cost more than SATA now. I'll take it a step further and say that I don't think a new version (as much of a dream as it might be) would come out with less than a 320GB HDD. Granted, these things are extremely price sensitive. I don't think they could raise prices much and expect to sell any, but 320GB is at the bottom end of the widely available drive sizes at the moment.

If they produce one I'll buy it and modify it to esata.
mreedelp's Avatar mreedelp 08:57 AM 04-30-2009
Quote:

If they produce one I'll buy it and modify it to esata.

Maybe they could build in esata capability. That would be a big plus (as long as it isn't the kind cable companies have where the esata device can only be replayed on the box it was connected to for recording).
wajo's Avatar wajo 09:01 AM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

Maybe they could build in esata capability. That would be a big plus (as long as it isn't the kind cable companies have where the esata device can only be replayed on the box it was connected to for recording).

Maybe they already have!?

The FW versions for "A" are all different, including the Model #, and no one has removed the top cover and taken a peek inside! Might be surprised?
auskck's Avatar auskck 09:12 AM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Maybe they already have!?

The FW versions for "A" are all different, including the Model #, and no one has removed the top cover and taken a peek inside! Might be surprised?

I'm not buying one to find out, I'll leave that to someone else.
Knowing me, I would have had the lid off already if I had one.
auskck's Avatar auskck 09:14 AM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

The drives are not tied to the box, I can switch drives now between boxes, it takes less than a minute. Switch the drive or switch the cable.
Power down - switch - power up - your done
auskck's Avatar auskck 12:05 PM 04-30-2009
FYI: I use this product to send output from the 3575 to any TV in the house.
Been using this for years, great for sending stuff out to the patio
http://www.x10.com/promotions/vk82a_...esux_0310.html
fyfchu's Avatar fyfchu 01:32 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

FYI: I use this product to send output from the 3575 to any TV in the house.
Been using this for years, great for sending stuff out to the patio
http://www.x10.com/promotions/vk82a_...esux_0310.html

I saw in an earlier message your comment about transmitting a program wirelessly, and this seems to be a slick solution.

Has anyone thought about ways to use an existing computer network to move dvr 357x content around the house? My best case result would be to move the content files to a computer and then read them on a second computer which is tied to a monitor or television. Has anyone thought about this? I have used sneaker-net (wrote a dvd and carried that to the second tv) and I suppose auskck's 357x with external drives would work if you have multiple dvr's set up that way, but this seems like duplication of hardware since many of us have computers spread around the house.

Just a thought.
dswensen's Avatar dswensen 01:48 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

You're right! This might be a case of that... maybe they are in the process of switching channel assignments?

Here's the info on "Hidden Channels" with a link to Bmoody33's use of this procedure to find 100 or more hidden digital channels in his cable system.

The key is finding the primary digital channel number on your digital-tunered TV and entering that channel in the 3576, with several of its subchannels, like 89.1, 89.2, 89.3, 89.4, etc. to see if any tune in. If some do, write them down and use the Manual Channel Preset menu to ADD those to the channel memory.

Nope, no good yet. I was getting ABC on channel 2.1 here in Vancouver, WA. When I scan my Plasma TV, it still comes up as 2.1 on that TV. Last night, I tried to manually tune 2.1 up to 2.50 on the 3576 - no dice. I called Comcast to ask what channel they had re-directed 2.1 to? The guy thought I was insane and kept telling me that it was "channel 2 on the set top box that I needed" Customer no-service is alive and well.
Any other ideas? If the signal still resides at 2.1 as my plasma TV says, why wouldn't the 3576 find it when auto-scanning or when manually tuned?
auskck's Avatar auskck 01:58 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyfchu View Post

I saw in an earlier message your comment about transmitting a program wirelessly, and this seems to be a slick solution.

Has anyone thought about ways to use an existing computer network to move dvr 357x content around the house? My best case result would be to move the content files to a computer and then read them on a second computer which is tied to a monitor or television. Has anyone thought about this? I have used sneaker-net (wrote a dvd and carried that to the second tv) and I suppose auskck's 357x with external drives would work if you have multiple dvr's set up that way, but this seems like duplication of hardware since many of us have computers spread around the house.

Just a thought.

Maggie/Philips file formats (linux format) are not usable (suitable) in their native format with a windows based PCs
You would have to write your own windows application to do this or find third party software that already does it. I've been down this road before, I'm retired, I'll leave it for the young pups to figure out. Once the files were translated you could use a PS3 as the player over you home network. If it's digital almost anything is possible.
wajo's Avatar wajo 02:06 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswensen View Post

OK I'm STUMPED!!!

Bypassed all my stuff and hooked the 3576 directly into the wall cable outlet. Rescanned - same deal - only PBS on the digital channels. Hooked the plasma TV back up - get all of the major networks in digital.

The only thing that is different between the two is the actual co-ax cable. But that same cable hooked to the 3576 worked until two days ago.

Any more ideas??

Chcuk 44 suggested you try a diff. known "good" cable since you say that's the only diff. between the 3576 and the TV. The direct connect to cable should have gotten whatever digital channels the TV does, unless the cable to the 3576 is not good... even tho you got one PBS channel... just to rule out the cable, use the same one that goes to your TV when it scans all the channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswensen View Post

Nope, no good yet. I was getting ABC on channel 2.1 here in Vancouver, WA. When I scan my Plasma TV, it still comes up as 2.1 on that TV. Last night, I tried to manually tune 2.1 up to 2.50 on the 3576 - no dice. I called Comcast to ask what channel they had re-directed 2.1 to? The guy thought I was insane and kept telling me that it was "channel 2 on the set top box that I needed" Customer no-service is alive and well.
Any other ideas? If the signal still resides at 2.1 as my plasma TV says, why wouldn't the 3576 find it when auto-scanning or when manually tuned?

You did say you tried tuning up to 2.50, i.e., 2-dot-fifty? If so, must not be hiding anywhere.

If it's not the cable, from above, and still no 2.6-2.10, then the only poss. left is the digital tuner went bad somehow... all I've got left since no "normal" troubleshooting remedy seems to fix.
fyfchu's Avatar fyfchu 02:08 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

Maggie/Philips file formats (linux format) are not usable (suitable) in their native format with a windows based PCs
You would have to write your own windows application to do this or find third party software that already does it. I've been down this road before, I'm retired, I'll leave it for the young pups to figure out. Once the files were translated you could use a PS3 as the player over you home network. If it's digital almost anything is possible.

The other question I have is how to connect the 357X to the computer network. I suppose the external swappable drive would work but it would be nice to not have to swap them in and out.

As you say, it will take someone with some inventiveness to solve the file format problem. If the 357X were on a linux network it might be easier.
auskck's Avatar auskck 02:18 PM 04-30-2009
Thank God I've got DirecTv I couldn't handle the hassles of cable
Sub channels
Movable channels
Scrambled channels (extra bacon please)
Unscrambled channels (over easy please)
Hidden channels (were did I put those channels)
Digital/Non-Digital
Need a DTB or don't need one
Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiiit all I want to do is record/watch TV.
Chuck44's Avatar Chuck44 02:24 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

Chcuk 44 suggested you try a diff. known "good" cable since you say that's the only diff. between the 3576 and the TV. (...)

Chcuk44?
wajo's Avatar wajo 02:36 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Chcuk44?

That's in Inuktitut... Eskimo-Aleut spelling of my ancient ancestors.
auskck's Avatar auskck 02:47 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

The other question I have is how to connect the 357X to the computer network. I suppose the external swappable drive would work but it would be nice to not have to swap them in and out.

As you say, it will take someone with some inventiveness to solve the file format problem. If the 357X were on a linux network it might be easier.

My 3575 is already connected to my PC via Svideo/Audio out I use an OnAir GT box(usb). I can record on my PC what ever is playing on the 3575 either live or recorded but in real time. Once recorded I can network it to the PS3 for playback I perfer just to swap the drive from 1 machine to the other. One machine is in the bedroom the other either in test mode (office) or connected to the HTS. While in test mode(office) if I want to watch a recording on the HTS I just burn (HSD) a DVD and play it on the PS3.
auskck's Avatar auskck 04:08 PM 04-30-2009
Just bit the bullet on a PC, my single processor 2.4 just doesn't cut the mustard as a media server. Didn't feel like building one so I ordered this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs
richardav's Avatar richardav 04:45 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

You did say you tried tuning up to 2.50, i.e., 2-dot-fifty? If so, must not be hiding anywhere.

If it's not the cable, from above, and still no 2.6-2.10, then the only poss. left is the digital tuner went bad somehow... all I've got left since no "normal" troubleshooting remedy seems to fix.

I'm only an OTA user, so I don't have any cable experience, but is there a possibility that the major channel number mapping is different for the 3576/2160 tuner than the TV tuner? My 3576 and 2160 both find (NBC) digital channels on 50.x, but my Zenith and RCA converter boxes find the same channels on 49.x. I believe 49.x is the correct channel mapping. If I try to tune the 3576 or 2160 to 49.x, I get nothing. I've also noticed the 3567/2160 tuners occasionally have trouble with these channels (picture rapidly flashing to black), while the the converter boxes have no problem. Signal strength is good.
wajo's Avatar wajo 05:13 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardav View Post

I'm only an OTA user, so I don't have any cable experience, but is there a possibility that the major channel number mapping is different for the 3576/2160 tuner than the TV tuner? My 3576 and 2160 both find (NBC) digital channels on 50.x, but my Zenith and RCA converter boxes find the same channels on 49.x. I believe 49.x is the correct channel mapping. If I try to tune the 3576 or 2160 to 49.x, I get nothing. I've also noticed the 3567/2160 tuners occasionally have trouble with these channels (picture rapidly flashing to black), while the the converter boxes have no problem. Signal strength is good.

Yes, at least one user, Beekeeper, reported that his cable channels got tuned by his 3575 in some totally different primary numbers, so he couldn't use the "hidden channel" search method. Most tuners are different, but I can't explain one tuning 49.x and another 50.x... I assume the x is a single digit?

If your 3576/2160 can't tune anything on 49.x, not sure there's anything you can do, and I also can't think of a reason or remedy for flashing to black on occasion... except black is total absence of video, if that's any kind of "clue"?

Maybe check your coax to the 3576 and the video cable from 3576 to TV just to eliminate a bad cable, or even a loose cable. Just flexing them on their connectors should reveal any bad cable or loosness.

If cables are good and tight, altho you report your signal strength is good, one thing you could try is to attenuate the signal, then amplify the signal, to see if the digital signal is too strong or too weak for the 3576/2160... the only diff. between them and the conv. boxes is they have an amplified coax circuit, which could be overdriving a strong digital signal over the "digital cliff" as explained here.

Try the easy "hang-by-a-thread" attenuation test, then if no help for flashing black signal, try an amplifier?
Dartman's Avatar Dartman 08:25 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:

Just bit the bullet on a PC, my single processor 2.4 just doesn't cut the mustard as a media server. Didn't feel like building one so I ordered this.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs

I'd chuck or disable the video card that it has as soon as you can afford a better one but other then that it should work fine as a media center PC or just about anything you want to do with it.
I have the original black edition 9600 that is sposed to have the bug and it works great doing HDTV captures, video encoding, playing games whatever.
I haven't noticed anything that I can attribute to the bug and it can play crysis at medium to high levels very nicely with a 1 gig ATI 3870x2 video card.
Other thing you might want to check on is whether it can also support AM3 Phenom with a firmware update for future faster CPU's down the road. Most of the Asus AM2+ boards support AM3 at this point.
auskck's Avatar auskck 09:15 PM 04-30-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I'd chuck or disable the video card that it has as soon as you can afford a better one but other then that it should work fine as a media center PC or just about anything you want to do with it.
I have the original black edition 9600 that is sposed to have the bug and it works great doing HDTV captures, video encoding, playing games whatever.
I haven't noticed anything that I can attribute to the bug and it can play crysis at medium to high levels very nicely with a 1 gig ATI 3870x2 video card.
Other thing you might want to check on is whether it can also support AM3 Phenom with a firmware update for future faster CPU's down the road. Most of the Asus AM2+ boards support AM3 at this point.

Thanks, will do with the video card.
Dartman's Avatar Dartman 11:13 PM 04-30-2009
Your welcome, a normal 4870 would probably do you fine as well and I think there are quite a few good deals on them now as well because they are always making the next greatest one and are about to go to a 4890.
The ATI are usually really good at video playback and sometimes encoding anyways, though the Nvidia better stuff is really good too.
I got the 3870 because it was a generation back so I got it dirt cheap at the time but it's still a very powerful card even today with 2 GPU's on board, there still might be some on craigs list, or even new cheap at this point, hard to say.
Anyways, seems like a reasonable package that hopefully you can get some good time outa before going to something else.
If you do get a better video card look into a bigger Power supply too, 300 watt wont cut it with a much higher end video card, 3870 wants at least a 550 or so and I use a nice Nspire Xtreme power 750 here, if you can find it it shouldn't run much over 100 bucks and is a truly high quality unit.
stump69's Avatar stump69 12:10 AM 05-01-2009
Quote:

Just a thought.

The best way I've found is my current configuration with a Slingbox attached via ethernet to my wireless router. It came with 2 IR blasters, so I use one for the 3575 and the other is on the digital cablebox (switchable remotely). The Slingplayer, once installed on your PC or laptop allows you to program and view recordings on the 3575 anywhere that there's a hi-speed connection. As I'm using HDMI output to the HDTV that leaves the S-Video output available to send to the Slingbox.

We have only one cable connection in the living room, so when the CFO has the TV, I watch my stuff from the 3575 on my desktop in the bedroom. It includes an onscreen remote, one-hour buffer and an EPG (powered by Zap2It) with the latest firmware version - which Sling.com loaded remotely. It's a pretty nifty arrangement.

I've had the Slingbox since 2006 and right now I have FOX News Channel playing via the 3575 tuner, docked up on the left side of the wide-screen monitor while I'm also typing this on the web. Of course, as an early adopter, I paid $250.

There are now several new models available, including one in that's HD capable. Here's mine:
http://www.amazon.com/Sling-Media-SB...1157131&sr=1-1

BTW, for someone who travels, you could be sitting in your hotel room in Tokyo watching the newest episode of Smallville from tonight, or a live broadcast from your own home cable, all on your Slingplayer-equipped laptop using the hotel's wi-fi. Or, let's say you're already on the plane and you forgot to program your trusty 3575 to record 'House'. No problem as long as the plane has a hi-speed internet connection. Just start up the laptop, connect to your home network and program away! I tried it once from a motel near Cleveland and it works.

EDIT: Updated 15 Feb 2010 to add more specifics at the suggestion of Maestro Wajo.

The instructions beginning at Step #4 assume that steps 1 through 3 have
been successfully completed.

1. Purchase a Slingbox. You can find all available models on Amazon.com.

2. Physically install the Slingbox hardware, including connecting the A/V
output from your DVDR to the input of the Slingbox, the Slingbox to your
local network (ethernet to your router), and attach one of the included IR
blasters to the top of your DVDR - properly positioned in front of the IR
sensor in the FL window.

3. Load the Slingplayer software from the included CD-ROM

4. *** BEFORE running the Setup Assistant ***

a) Open a DOS command prompt: Windows>Accessories>Command Prompt

b) Set directory to: C:\\program files\\sling media\\slingplayer\\SBAV

c) Create the appropriate BIN code in the above directory:
for DVDR3575/3576 use Y1010_PL.bin
for H2160MW9/9A use Y1577_PL.bin
Creation of the BIN files can be best accomplished by typing the code into
your notepad and then doing a Drag/Drop to the SBAV directory.

5. *NOW* run the Setup assistant in the Slingplayer software, choosing
hardware type Philips DVD/Other/Other. When it asks you to choose remote code, there will be type 1, type 2 or other. Choose other and it will prompt you to enter the "other" code. This is where you will type in Y1010 for the
Philips or Y1577 for the Maggie. Setup assistant can be run as often as you like, so don't worry too much about hosing up the system.

*ADDITIONAL NOTES*
a. The BIN file must exist in the SBAV directory of all computers that the
Slingplayer software is loaded on. I have it on both my desktop (running
Windows Vista w/service pack 1) and my 6-year-old laptop (running Windows XP w/service pack 2).

b. You can also connect your direct cable feed to the RF input of the
Slingbox, run the setup assistant to choose your location and cable
provider, and then be able to watch your cable through the Slingbox's
internal tuner. OR, if you have a satellite or cable box, you can attach IT
to the Slingbox RF input, attach the OTHER included IR blaster to your
satellite/cable box and then be able to watch/program your cable. When I
had the digital starter package for a year, I successfully instructed the
Moto DCT700 to set a "VCR recording" for a particular show, then toggled
the Slingplayer back to my DVDR, where the DCT700 had been connected via composite to E1, and set up a timer program for the same timeframe. The recording was successful. I did all of this without ever going in the
living room where the TV is located. The Slingplayer allows toggling the
video input between your DVDR and your cable, thereby enabling you to watch your local cable no matter where you are, EVEN IF your DVDR is busy recording one of your favorite shows. I do this regularly and used it
extensively during a New England trip last year.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/...e-Code-needed/

For specific questions you may PM me and I'll try to elucidate based upon my experience with the system.

sydyen's Avatar sydyen 02:33 AM 05-01-2009
> FYI: IMO you won't see to many more 2160's being built, simple
> reason is the sourcing of the IDE 160gb drive. IMO if there is
> a new version of the Magnavox on the horizon it will have a
> sata drive.

The 2160A shows that Funai is still spending some money on development.

Changing to a SATA drive seems like the kind of thing that could be a running change, all the engineers have to do is read your thread and buy a bunch of adapters.

If Funai does do another round of development, adding a second IR would be a winner, we could support more than one recorder with the same remote. There has to be more than a few of us who would be interested in adding another one to the stable.

Another unlikely but useful addition would be an IR Blaster that supports the new control codes Comcast is using in the STB boxes that are being given away to Basic and Extended customers.
Tags: Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
First ... 160  161  162 163  164  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop