Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 25746 Old 05-29-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfusion View Post

(...) i wish i could record to the dvd recorder digitally

The only way to do that is to use the unit's own tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 25746 Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetChem910 View Post

We have had a Sony KD-34XBR960 since 11/04. It has a Cable Card slot, but we have never used it because so many digital channels were available without a card. My wife has a serious archiving hobby and has been using the Sony and a Panasonic E85 as well as a TivoHD - E80 and a Comcast cable box-E80 to record to disk. She has complained over the years as the recording options have decreased, and things came to a head the last few weeks when WNET, MSNBC, and TCM went digital only. We have a Philips 3575 that we used to replace the E-80 connected to the Tivo was being repaired. I didn't have any problem setting up the 3575 with the Tivo. I was using line in and not using its tuner. I have lurked on this thread for a long time and have a recollection that it was said that a TV with a Cable Card and a video out capability can function as a cable box. The Sony has an RCA video out and after some hassle Comcast was able to get a Cable Card to work in it. Today I replaced the E-85 with the 3575 but I cannot set it up because I can't see the Initial Setup menu. I manually scrolled through the channels with the 3575 before the Sony and the reverse with no luck. I recall that when I set up the 3575 there was no trouble finding the set up menu. I am not a gearhead and am probably missing something. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Don G.

You are seriously under-utilizing your most valuable and powerful component -- the TiVo HD. Put the cable card in the TiVo (request an M card to enable both tuners). This will give you all the digital cable channels you are paying for and full guide functionality. All outputs on the TiVo are simultaneously active and it outputs anamorphic widescreen on S-Video. You can attach any recorder you want to the TiVo's S-Video output and get high quality recordings -- the Panasonic E-85 will give you exceptional PQ at SP. If you put it on your home network, you can transfer the HD recordings to your PC and burn them to disk as HD or down-convert them to SD but with 5.1 sound. A direct transfer to a DVD recorder will only give you SD and 2.0 audio.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5133 of 25746 Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfusion View Post

i wish this had a digital video input. even with most channels being digital this records and makes things analog video. s-video/composet are both analog. i wish i could record to the dvd recorder digitally

No DVD recorder will ever have a digital input. The whole purpose behind the HDMI design was to implement an encrypted digital transport that prevented copying of digital sources.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5134 of 25746 Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kelson:
Thanks for your reply. I guess I wasn't clear enough. We have a TivoHD connected to a Panasonic E80 that is used to record and dub to disk about 6-8 hrs of EP recordings per day. PQ is not of overriding importance to my wife, but volume is. She started archiving to VCR tapes in the early 1980s and accumulated about 2500 (about half 6hr and half 8hr) when we switched to DVD recordings in 2003. I thought about getting another Tivo but had hoped to save money and time by using the Sony-Cable Card-3575 set up. You can't high-speed dub to a disk from a Tivo, but you can from an E-80, E-85 or a 3575. The PC route presently is too steep a learning curve for this non-gearhead. Do you have any opinions why I can't see the set up menu for the 3575? (Correction in the first post: WLIW instead of WNET)
Don G
post #5135 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Dudes, listen from a man who feels rather stupid. Life is too short to use cheap cables. In my living room setup complete with television, Samsung STB, Philips 3576, and a Yamaha DVD player I have a stereo receiver to drive all the audio. For months this has been a stable environment. However I began to notice that music played off the Yamaha's USB port was breaking up on the left. Naturally I thought I had a faulty speaker connection. Fiddling with it, sound would come back for some time before it would fail again. I didn't think it was the speaker itself. It seemed that the entire channel on the receiver was failing. And the receiver, while not especially old, was very cheap (< $100) and was from a dubious manufacturer (Sherwood). So in my frustration I immediately ordered a replacement receiver from a different manufacturer that arrived yesterday.

The new receiver is nice. But incredibly, playing music off my Yamaha again caused breakups on the left channel. I then thought "...well, come to think of it I don't remember this problem with audio from a different source. Is my Yamaha broken?'. Before I started to despair I decided to replace the audio cable between the Yamaha and the receiver. Voila! Problem gone!!! But get this, the cable was solidly connected to the Yamaha. The cable simply *failed*. Of course Mister Cheapskate Lazza typically uses composite cables that come from any old place; vendors often throw in a set with DVD players, DVDRs, etc. I have a whole drawer full.

So what have I learned:

- when pissed off at an electronics-related snafu give yourself 24 hours to calm down and then plot out a debug strategy.
- carry replacement cables for all cables you use (HDMI, component, composite, serial, coax). Unlikely, but obviously they can fail over time.
- although no need to spend a fortune, avoid no name, "mystery" cables. Buy cables with positive reviews from places like amazon.com and monoprice.com.

At this juncture I can return my new receiver for full refund. But since I like it I will instead use it to complement by bedroom television and DVDR. So I really didn't lose out on all this.

Thanks. I feel better now.

_Lazza
post #5136 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetChem910 View Post

Do you have any opinions why I can't see the set up menu for the 3575?
Don G

You have to use one of the outputs HDMI, component, etc. from the 3575 to the TV to see the menus.
post #5137 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

- although no need to spend a fortune, avoid no name, "mystery" cables. Buy cables with positive reviews from places like amazon.com and monoprice.com.

I've been using monoprice cables for all my equipment and have been very impressed with the build quality and thick cables despite the inexpensive price. The last order I made was for a bunch of cables (more than I needed) so that I have them for any equipment I might acquire in the future. It also saved on the shipping costs.

The other piece of advice is to never leave cables dangling. IOW don't connect a bunch of cables to a component because it may be difficult to reach or move and let them dangle in space unconnected to anything but reserved for "future use". They act as antennas and can be a source of unexpected interference.

- kelson h

post #5138 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't help but wonder...depending on how much the repair will cost, wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a SATA HDD setup?

I believe the ATA CBA adapter is still required to interface with the SATA adapter.
post #5139 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

That circuit board is described as "ATA CBA" part number 1VSA17030 for the Magnavox 2160.

Yep...that was the number I was originally searching on with no luck. The 2080 uses the same adapter but different part number. I have 2 other numbers (one for a Toshiba and someone who supplied me with a Philips number) with no dice. This part appears to be very elusive to purchase.

The part I have was manufactured by Great Boss LTD in China. (that's extensive research!)
post #5140 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fccgrant View Post

Yep...that was the number I was originally searching on with no luck. The 2080 uses the same adapter but different part number. I have 2 other numbers (one for a Toshiba and someone who supplied me with a Philips number) with no dice. This part appears to be very elusive to purchase.

The part I have was manufactured by Great Boss LTD in China. (that's extensive research!)

One would think that this part shouldn't be so difficult to locate.

The 2005/2006 Sylvania HDRV200F HDD/DVD Recorder Service Manual also shows this (or similar) ATA adapter.

An interesting aside, the European Philips 3575/3577/3595/3597 Service Manual has a photo that seems to show that the hard drive is connected by an IDE/ATA ribbon cable to the circuit board assembly. Apparently, no ATA adapter is used in these models.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5141 of 25746 Old 05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccgrant View Post

I believe the ATA CBA adapter is still required to interface with the SATA adapter.

That is correct
post #5142 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been getting occasional system errors while editing - in scene delete it will freeze on pause. All I can do is back out to the setup menu where I get the error. I cycle power and then it works fine again. Anyone else experience this? I'm a bit worried that it might be an early symptom of HDD failure...

Thanks...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #5143 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

I have been getting occasional system errors while editing - in scene delete it will freeze on pause. All I can do is back out to the setup menu where I get the error. I cycle power and then it works fine again. Anyone else experience this? I'm a bit worried that it might be an early symptom of HDD failure...

Could be a symptom of a HDD that't too full of recordings and edit instructions? Also could be from using Divide before Scene Deletes (always do Deletes before Dividing)?

See this post for some info that might apply.
post #5144 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well the other positive is now we know how to replace the drive on any of these units if it does crap out on you if it isn't just too full or a divide segments problem. I've never gotten that error myself but I always edit my videos first, I very rarely divide a title afterwards.
My 250 gig upgrade is still plugging away too
post #5145 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 01:04 PM

IIRC the error has only occurred while doing scene delete / title divide on blocks of 3 to 6 one-hour episodes, so hopefully that accounts for it.

At first I recorded each episode separately, but found that occasionally in a Sci-fi or USA "marathon" the episodes did not end cleanly on the hour so I figured I was safer dividing them manually.

FWIW I got the error once editing and dividing a 6-episode block with HDD less than 50% full, then before dubbing & deleting those 6 I edited another 6-episode block with no errors.

I know it's irrational to edit out commercials - it only saves me a few pennies of DVD capacity. I just don't seem to be able to help myself! Maybe I'm watching too much Monk?

CC

post #5146 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #5147 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks...

I have seen this sort of thing a few times. It has been very rare and has occured with both my 3575 and 3576. I suspect I have hit some button on the remote out of sequence, creating a lock-up. I suspect I was selecting Start or End while some other activity was still taking place. At this time, I don't consider it to be an issue I can't live with or something that indicates a problem which will get worse, but that is just my opinion.

FYI: I almost never use "Title Split" and I don't think it has ever been related to one of these events.
post #5148 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One thing I've noticed that's diff. in my 2160 than my 3575's is the FW/CPU seems to be faster in the 2160 (as well as the DVD burner).

When I Add titles to a dub list in my 3575, I have to wait until that title appears in the Dub List and the audio starts before it allows the ADD button to go back to the Title list for another title. My 2160 adds a title with audio already playing so there's virtually no delay.

To me, this suggests that you could cause a problem by "pressing" the 3575 (maybe 3576 also) to act faster by pressing buttons at the "wrong" time. I don't think the 2160 would do the same since it appears to be acting faster normally?
post #5149 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM

Maybe you guys can help me with another issue I've run into. I get clean over-the-air digital recordings on my laptop, but I can't burn them to dvd+rw. It's a HP HDX18, T9400 processor, 4GB RAM, Vista home premium. Recording with Windows Media Center works fine, but this morning I let a 1-hour burn go for 3 hours and it only made it to 31%. Similar result with HP Mediasmart. Any suggestions to deal with that?

I took the 3576 editing and dubbing speed for granted until I tried to do some of this stuff in Windows!

Thanks...

CC

post #5150 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe you guys can help me with another issue I've run into. I get clean over-the-air digital recordings on my laptop, but I can't burn them to dvd+rw. It's a HP HDX18, T9400 processor, 4GB RAM, Vista home premium. Recording with Windows Media Center works fine, but this morning I let a 1-hour burn go for 3 hours and it only made it to 31%. Similar result with HP Mediasmart. Any suggestions to deal with that?

I took the 3576 editing and dubbing speed for granted until I tried to do some of this stuff in Windows!

Thanks...

Buy dedicated burn software, there are many products out there
post #5151 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 08:27 PM

Magnavox HDD + DVD Recorder with Tuner (Model H2160, March 2009 Mft date) Won't Finalize DVDs Please Help! (May 31, 2009)

Question/s:

Is anyone else experiencing this proble?

If so, what is the unit manufacture date?

If you have found a work-around (other than the one I currently have) would you please share:

If you experienced this problem with a March manufacture date have you discovered any brands of DVD that you CAN finalize?

If you have a March manufacture date and have not experienced this finalization E19 error, then what brands/types of DVD are you using?

Any information that you can provide may help to better understand and resolve this issue, and is extremely appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long-winded elaboration Follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading the mostly positive reviews in this forum I decided to purchase the Magnavox HDD + DVD Recorder with Tuner (Model H2160MW9).

I couldn't find this unit locally so I had to order it from Walmart.com. The (Magnavox/Funai) Model is H2160MW9 and the Manufacture date is March 2009, so it is a fairly recent product make. I also own a Magnavox/Funai DVD & VCR combo with Tuner (model ZV457MG9). I bought the HDD recorder unit to supplement the combo unit.

I've had the H2160MW9 unit for a week now and after reading the manual and vigorous experimentation I'm so far pleased with the units performance with one CRITICAL exception: The unit will not allow me to finalize any DVD after recording to it.
I always get a blue screen Recording Error E 19 message.
According to the manual this unit prefers specific types and brands of DVDs, in fact the recommendations were exactly the same as the Combo unit's preferences. This was good as I had already purchased a case of TDK DVD+R spindles, which had served me with flawless recordings with the model ZV457MG9. Unfortunetly, this does not seem to be the case with the H2160MW9.

I have meticulously followed all of the manual instructions/recommendations and although the unit will transfer from HDD to DVD and allow me to otherwise edit without a hitch, it will not allow me to finalize a single DVD.
The error message is always the same E 19, of which the manual was absolutely no help in identifying.

At this point I've consistently received the same E 19 error with over a dozen DVDs that I've attempted to finalize. I found it extremely difficult to believe that all these DVDs were flawed. On a troubleshooting whim I decided to see if my Combo unit (model ZV457MG9) would recognize them. It did. I was also able to finalize all of these DVDs using the ZV457MG9.

I called Funai customer service in California (1-800-605-8610) on 5/28/09 and spoke with a representative (Jeff). After I explained the situation in detail he understood that it wasn't a problem with flawed DVDs. However, he explained that there were no actual service technicians available and he was unknowledgeable as to how to help me find a work around at my end. He did share that there had been other reports of this same problem and discussed the issue with his administrative supervisor. He then returned and told me that Funai did not recognize this as an Inherent product flaw and would not cover the repair or replacement under warranty. He also said that the ZV457MG9 should not be able to read or finalize DVDs that had been recorded by the H2160MW9. However I am aware that many units will recognize an unfinalized DVD+R but will not recognize an unfinalized DVD-R (that has been written to by another unit), so he may have been a bit confused.
We discussed the issue some more and although he said that agreed with me that this was a problem with the unit, that he was dealing with administrators and not problem solving technicians.

I told him that I would order another H2160MW9 to determine if it was an isolated problem or more widespread.
He said that a supervisor (Will) would be calling Funai corporate headquarters and call me back within two hours with a solution to the problem.
3 hours passed and I did not receive a call from "Will" so I again called Funai and this time spoke with "Greg." It seems that "Jeff" had gone home, and "Will" was presently busy. After "checking" Greg apologized for "Will" not calling me back and said that they had still not received a corporate HQ response to this issue and would probably contact me next week with an answer????

At this point in time I am still waiting to hear back from them, but have already ordered a replacement H2160MW9 unit, so that I can do some checking while still under the Walmart product return policy.

I am convinced that there is an internal "firmware" flaw within this HDD H2160MW9 that will not allow it to finalize any TDK DVD+R. I don't know if the problem is specific to that particular type and brand of DVD and I hesitate to purchase a sample of every brand of recordable DVD on the market, to find out if there is/are specific brand/s/type/s (i.e. -R) that this unit will finalize, since the TDK +R is one of the handfull of recordable DVD's that the manual specifically recommends???

If my second H2160MW9 has another March manufacture date and the unit WILL finalize, then I will feel certain that the problem is relatively isolated to either mine or perhaps just a few units, however if another March manufacture date unit fails to finalize DVDs or if I receive a different manufacture date and this problem does not occur then it could be a "March" batch manufacture quality control issue.
If I receive a later manufacture date unit and the problem still exists, then it is likely an internal manufacture update conflict issue that has not been rectified up to this point.
In any event, Funai "quality control" should be more aware of what is happening and already have a "fix" by now.
I expressed my dismay that as customers it is left up to us to expensively troubleshoot this obvious problem without any apparent technical assistance or support from Funai.

I am pleased with the units HDD flexible recording performance and I am fortunate to be able to have a personal "quick-fix" work-around to the problem by having a combo ZV457MG9 handy that will allow me to complete the finalization process. However one should not be required to have two separate units to do the job that the H2160MW9 is supposed to be able to do. And if there are other customers experiencing this same issue they may not have the luxury of a second unit to help them.

Overall this is a critical manufacture flaw that only disuades customers from purchasing this product and returning the ones that they have.

Once I have received the replacement H2160MW9 and have experimented with it, I will post again with an update.

Thank you all for your time and assistance regarding this matter.

Sincerely, Stephan
post #5152 of 25746 Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Stephan, the problem with pre- and post-rec disc ops, like Formatting RW discs, Erasing RW discs and Finalizing, has been a known issue with the "A" version of the 2160 since its release in Apr 2009 and it's caused by timer rec programs being set. If any are set, those pre- and post-rec disc ops will fail.

The only known workaround now is to delete timer rec programs, then do your Finalizing. One person who likes to watch his programs from DVD in another room formats a bunch of +RW discs w/o any timer programs set. He then records to the HDD and high-speed dubs to the +RWs (they don't need Finalizing). He re-sets his timer rec programs after he gets a batch of formatted +RWs... obviously not suitable for everyone.

Funai has, before, acknowledged that this is a FW problem in a tel. conversation with another member and said a FW update was in the works. Not sure what to make of what you heard.

Your 2nd unit will prob. act the same way if it has any timer rec programs set, but work normally w/o those programs.

Here's a help file on using unfinalized DVDs between +VR recorders like Funai, Philips and Magnavox... see "Option 1" and the links therein.

Lots of other help files if you click the button at the bottom of that page.
post #5153 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Thank you Wajo for such a fast response.
Why on earth did the manufacturers create such a flawed firmware "upgrade" and why was such a blatant, easily detected problem not discovered & resolved by any Q&A dept worth their salt BEFORE the product was released to the public??? And why now is it taking them so long to correct??

I followed your advice on the "work-around" and it worked, as you said it would. I actually finalized my first DVD on this unit.
Why is it that the Funai "customer service" representatives (and I use that term very guardedly) could not have shared this information with me when I explained my concerns with them???

My H2160MW9 unit does not have a suffix letter "A" and the tag has a mft date of March (not April) 2009, so evidently this problem is at least a month older than we thought, and is not isolated to just the H2160MW9A models.

To be able to load up such a generous timer que, and not be able to finalize a single DVD from it without first emptying the que seems self defeating for anyone who wants to "save" their programs on DVDs. Why these people took such a step-backward within the "firmware" of the "newer" model is a conundrum to me. I learned long ago that newer, isn't always better, and this is a classic illustration of that point. Is there any feature of H2160MW9that makes it superior to the older models?
How do you suppose they (Funai) will implement a fix for this, if in fact, they actually decide to do so?

I have been reading thru your many entries and I must admit that I'm now running scared. Replacement compatible IDE HDs seem to be drying up, and if the burner dies, as it eventually will, there seems to be no replacements available.
I specifically ordered this because of the programability of of the Tuner and it saddens me that the cable & sat. Dish companies can exercise so much clout as to eventually put an end to recording from what was once the "free" air waves in the privacy of ones own home. There appears to be a definite conspiracy going on to force us to continually pay through the nose and allow us nothing to show for it. I wish I'd been more fully aware of this a year or two ago, I now feel desparate to stock up on components that will stretch the life of my recorders for as long as possible.
Thank you so much for this very enlightening and informative thread.
I will be checking in often for any "new" news.
SC
post #5154 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan56 View Post

Thank you Wajo for such a fast response.
Why on earth did the manufacturers create such a flawed firmware "upgrade" and why was such a blatant, easily detected problem not discovered & resolved by any Q&A dept worth their salt BEFORE the product was released to the public??? And why now is it taking them so long to correct??

Stephan, I am struggling myself also with this question, since I experienced this error E19.
But AFAIK, Funai is (only) the manufacturing line for this Magnavox brand.
While Phillips used to be the R&D ? Since Phillips decided to stop making more of these machines DVD/HDD recorders, not sure who owns R&D Engineering these days, who should come up with the new FW fix that lots of the new owners of the 2160A on this forum is waiting for.
An other clue is : I was searching recently on the Magnavox web site and on the Funai web site, and Magnavox somehow only listed the 2080 model, nothing about the 2160 or 2160A model. And of course the support for the 2080 model points to call Funai :-)
The Funai web site (www.funai.us) does not list any Magnavox model in their product list, only the Sylvania brand.
Although you can find the Magnavox 2160/2160A manuals in the Customer Support pages.

Quote:
I followed your advice on the "work-around" and it worked, as you said it would. I actually finalized my first DVD on this unit.
Why is it that the Funai "customer service" representatives (and I use that term very guardedly) could not have shared this information with me when I explained my concerns with them???

I am not surprised either, when I opened my Service Desk ticket through their online tool, I got a Ticket number in my email, and started exchanging troubleshooting ideas with Jeff.
But when I try to call their 800 number and I talked to someone else, this CSR person told me she could not read or get a reference to or link to my online ticket ....
I guess they have very basic Customer Support tool.

Quote:
My H2160MW9 unit does not have a suffix letter "A" and the tag has a mft date of March (not April) 2009, so evidently this problem is at least a month older than we thought, and is not isolated to just the H2160MW9A models.

Are you sure about your model name ?
I assume you found the manufacturing date tag in the back of the machine. So then next to it on the left on the same sticker, there is a model name with (eventually) an "A" (along with the Customer Service phone number).
The model name on the front panel still says 2160 though.

FYI - I ordered a 2nd machine from Walmart (to replace my 1st machine that I returned) and it is also a 2160A machine from the same March date.
Note : I think Wajo reference to "April 2009" is when the machine was started to be sold back online at Walmart.
It was out of stock for a while before April.
post #5155 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I should have said the units with the problem were mfgd in Mar 2009... I said "released" since it takes about a month before anyone has units for sale. Many people here got their units in May, I think.

None of the original 2160's mfgd in Aug and Dec 2008 have exhibited the same problem.

You can check the FW versions of your unit against the lists in this help file, using the SKIP 123 code as described there.
post #5156 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have been reading thru your many entries and I must admit that I'm now running scared. Replacement compatible IDE HDs seem to be drying up, and if the burner dies, as it eventually will, there seems to be no replacements available.

Some people who have this new "A" version of the 2160 report that the HDD in it IS a SATA drive, making replacement even easier than with an PATA/IDE drive, which has been replaced by Auskck with a SATA drive and a SATA/IDE adapter. He's even got an external HDD setup with ESATA drives, which he can switch between at will.

Much of this is described in this help file on the SKIP 079 code for HDD/DVD Self-Check and Initialization.
post #5157 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To be able to load up such a generous timer que, and not be able to finalize a single DVD from it without first emptying the que seems self defeating for anyone who wants to "save" their programs on DVDs. Why these people took such a step-backward within the "firmware" of the "newer" model is a conundrum to me. I learned long ago that newer, isn't always better, and this is a classic illustration of that point. Is there any feature of H2160MW9that makes it superior to the older models?
How do you suppose they (Funai) will implement a fix for this, if in fact, they actually decide to do so?

It was a boneheaded mistake of the 1st order, to be sure, but there are some "subtle" changes in the "A" version that suggest they should have paid it more attention as far as the FW goes... things we know so far that are different:
  1. SATA HDD instead of PATA/IDE.
  2. Stopping a recording now has a Yes/No dialog to more surely prevent an accidental stoppage, a problem with the older 3575/3576 which stopped a timer rec with one press of the STOP button if nothing is playing at the time. The original 2160 added a 2-sec press to stop a timer rec, but the Yes/No dialog is even better, I think. Obviously, you'll only get the dialog if you press the STOP button and the only thing happening at the time is a recording in progress... simultaneous playing and recording is where you could stop a rec with the 3575/3576 by pressing STOP twice, thinking that sets the played title back to start position (it doesn't in most cases).
  3. Might be some op. speed differences with the SATA drive and different FW... waiting for someone to report but it would require someone with both a 2160 and 2160A. There IS a slight op. speed increase in menus in the 2160 over the 3575, and the burner is 8X vs 4X.
When the inability to Finalize a DVD if timer rec programs are set first appeared, I thought it might have the same relation to the timing of Finalization to the next closest timer rec program... in all PhilMag units, the Finalize option in the Disc Edit menu is inactive (greyed out) IF there's a timer rec program due to start within 60 minutes (00:59:59 to be exact, 00:60:00 is OK). There still may be a connection but the 60-min. thing is not the problem cuz you can start a Finalize in the 2160A but it will fail at some point, but in properly working units you can't even start a Finalize if the time to next timer rec is not 60-min. or longer.

Funai should be working on a FW upgrade, which I assume they'll post for download here when ready for release?
post #5158 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Funai should be working on a FW upgrade . . .

Perhaps the delay is that Funai is trying to reassemble the original Philips software designers in order to create a fix for the 2160A. It's not as simple as a rollback to the 2160 software for the 2160A.

Ultimately, Funai may abandon the 2160A, advising customers to return their 2160A to a Walmart store for credit/refund.

What Funai should do is recall the 2160A, fix the software and install a 500GB hard drive to make up for the trouble 2160A owners have endured.

The new model would be the Magnavox H2500MW10. With the declining value of the US dollar such a model is unlikely as it would have to be priced in the $450-$500 range, a likely deal-breaker with the current economic situation.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5159 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

Buy dedicated burn software, there are many products out there

auskck, can I assume any commercial burn software will operate at an acceptable speed? It seems to me that real-time + 10% or so would be minimally acceptable? Thanks...

CC

post #5160 of 25746 Old 06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

...The new model would be the Magnavox H2500MW10. With the declining value of the US dollar such a model is unlikely as it would have to be priced in the $450-$500 range, a likely deal-breaker with the current economic situation.

Agreed. There is no way Magnavox could expect to sell at a decent volume on a 500GB version in that price range. I'd say, $300 to $325 tops. Beyond that, and a do-it-yourself upgrade becomes favorable. Swapping your own HDD also has the advantage that you can keep the original HDD as a backup / spare.

Once you near the $500 mark, people will demand something that can record in high def, IMO. I know it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but you simply cannot approach Tivo HD price levels.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page