Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 176 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5251 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Auskck wrote:
Quote:

At this point no one has pop the lid on one, let alone try a HDD upgrade. Would you like to be the first?

Well, if nobody else beats me to the punch I just might be?
I can always use the 1TB HD in a PC if it doesn't work out in the H2160MW9A.

I sent you a pvt email regarding assistance on what I need to create an ESATA system similar to the one you have.

My second H2160MW9A is due to arrive this week and I'm getting really antsy to have a look inside the case. I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face (warrenty wise) but if the second unit works (E19 error flaws and all) at least as well as the current one then I will want to get into the box as soon as the labor half of the warrenty expires.

I doubt sending the unit back to Funai for an E19 error fix would accomplish anything positive and I could likely get a "refurbished/or not" replacement with the same problem (or more) in return, or worse a refund and no unit at all. So I'll just keep them and wait and hope for an eventual firmware download "fix."

I'd like to have everything (part wise) ready well before then and I'd like to make sure that the hard drives have been scanned and tested in a PC or ESATA set up before I attempt to connect them to the H2160MW9A.

What I could do is have both a 1TB and a 500GB drive in that ESATA case like you have. I could start dupe copying the same movies on both units at the 500GB level and therefore avoid losing anything that I may want to keep for awhile, just in case a firmware limit does show up on the larger HD?

I just thought of another question/s:
Do these recorders have an ability to scan/defrag, etc. their HD?
If not, do you use your ESATA set up to periodically have a PC scan/defrag your HD?
If so, have you experienced any problems going back and forth from PC to Recorder?

Of course if you aren't copying and erasing/recopying a lot of movies then the data on your drives shouldn't require frequent defrags. But for those of us that do a lot of frequent copying/watching/erasing and recopying our drives will begin to fragment pretty quickly. Eventually that would have to affect the visible efficiency of the drive, don't you think?
Just thought I'd run this by you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 04:33 PM

Auskck wrote:
Quote:

Being real careful 30 minutes at most. Assuming the 2160A has a sata drive.

I thought that was already established, that the H2160MW9 model used the SATA drives?

Quote:

Easy to find out pop the lid pull the 160gb install 1TB do skip 0 7 9 . Then check to see it you have more than 212h 58m of recording time in SD mode.

Would that yield a definitive answer?
Or just a maybe... Would I still need to try to record past a 500Gb limit just in case, as you are doing now?
post #5253 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan56 View Post

Auskck wrote:

I thought that was already established, that the H2160MW9 model used the SATA drives?

Would that yield a definitive answer?
Or just a maybe... Would I still need to try to record past a 500Gb limit just in case, as you are doing now?

No if it says you have 425h hours of SD recording then it took the 1tb drive and will use it. If it says 212H 58M looks like the same as 3575/3575 and 2160 500gb will be used. At a $15 price difference with the information I've gained, I would just go the 1tb route. Things could change and I would rather have 1tb drives than 500gb.
post #5254 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Auskck wrote:

Well, if nobody else beats me to the punch I just might be?
I can always use the 1TB HD in a PC if it doesn't work out in the H2160MW9A.

I sent you a pvt email regarding assistance on what I need to create an ESATA system similar to the one you have.

My second H2160MW9A is due to arrive this week and I'm getting really antsy to have a look inside the case. I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face (warrenty wise) but if the second unit works (E19 error flaws and all) at least as well as the current one then I will want to get into the box as soon as the labor half of the warrenty expires.

I doubt sending the unit back to Funai for an E19 error fix would accomplish anything positive and I could likely get a "refurbished/or not" replacement with the same problem (or more) in return, or worse a refund and no unit at all. So I'll just keep them and wait and hope for an eventual firmware download "fix."

I'd like to have everything (part wise) ready well before then and I'd like to make sure that the hard drives have been scanned and tested in a PC or ESATA set up before I attempt to connect them to the H2160MW9A.

What I could do is have both a 1TB and a 500GB drive in that ESATA case like you have. I could start dupe copying the same movies on both units at the 500GB level and therefore avoid losing anything that I may want to keep for awhile, just in case a firmware limit does show up on the larger HD?

I just thought of another question/s:
Do these recorders have an ability to scan/defrag, etc. their HD?
If not, do you use your ESATA set up to periodically have a PC scan/defrag your HD?
If so, have you experienced any problems going back and forth from PC to Recorder?

Of course if you aren't copying and erasing/recopying a lot of movies then the data on your drives shouldn't require frequent defrags. But for those of us that do a lot of frequent copying/watching/erasing and recopying our drives will begin to fragment pretty quickly. Eventually that would have to affect the visible efficiency of the drive, don't you think?
Just thought I'd run this by you.

A basic test would be just swap the 160gb for the 1tb and do the skip 0 7 9 . this will tell you if it is going to use the whole drive or not. The magic number for 500gb drive is 212h 58m in SD mode.
Let me know when your ready I'll walk you through it. Then we can walk through the ESATA portion of the operation. You Can Not Read a DVR HDD with standard windows software. If that were the case I would be laughing. The DVR drives are Linux formatted. You need a linux operating machine or being able to boot you PC with a Linux DVD shell system. If you have a camera I wil need a picture of the sata PCB. If your going esata with multiple drives then the E19 error shouldn't bother you at all.
post #5255 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI: IMO the reason manufactures of DVRs use Linux format for their drives. Linux is a strong industrial operating system without all the fluff of a windows system. Linux is free and open system. No need to pay Microsoft thousands of dollars in licensing fees. Since linux is an open system it is easy to interface with computer controlled manufacturing equipment.
post #5256 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Stephan56 wrote:

> Not sure if that means that this unit (H2160MW9A) will
> accept a 1TB drive, but if it does I'd rather order a
> couple of those over the 500GB.

Glad to read later that you are going eSATA with this because 5.2W at Idle should discourage anyone from even considering this as an in-box replacement. The R/W of the Seagate 160GB is only 5.0W.

Hitachi does not specify Read/Write for the 0A38016, but Hitachi R/W is typically close to double the Idle (Hitachi 160GB is 6.1W R/W and 3.3W Idle).

This drive could raise the DVR temperature to uncomfortable numbers, and if someone does decide to do in-box replacement sure hope they tell us how long the power supply lasted before it smoked.
post #5257 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Auskck wrote:
Quote:

The DVR drives are Linux formatted. You need a linux operating machine or being able to boot you PC with a Linux DVD shell system.

I knew that sooner or later I was going to have to get into Linux. I actually like the thought of getting away from the Microsoft monopoly, I'm just not sure how much of the software that I have a reasonable comfort zone with will be Linux compatible. When I'm strapped for time I have a tendency to want to stick with things that I feel reasonably familiar, and resist having to learn something new, unless I'm forced into it. This computer stuff is becoming a necessary evil for me.
I take it you have a Linux system and have no trouble periodically scanning/defragging your eSATA drives used for recording?

sydyen wrote:
Quote:

This drive could raise the DVR temperature to uncomfortable numbers, and if someone does decide to do in-box replacement sure hope they tell us how long the power supply lasted before it smoked.

Thank you very much for that tidbit sydyen, that is most definitely MUST Know information. The last thing that anyone would want to do is inadvertantly burn up their unit trying to make it better. More often than not when a PSU pops, it does not go down alone.
post #5258 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Auskck wrote:
Quote:

if it says you have 425h hours of SD recording then it took the 1tb drive and will use it. If it says 212H 58M looks like the same as 3575/3575 and 2160 500gb will be used. At a $15 price difference with the information I've gained, I would just go the 1tb route. Things could change and I would rather have 1tb drives than 500gb.

Okay, sounds good to me, a couple of 1TB HITACHI 0A38016 to start out with. They won't be wasted even if there is a 500GB limitation. I can always use them in a PC now and, like you say, things could possibly change later allowing them to be used to their capacity in the DVR...
post #5259 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 10:08 PM

auskck wrote:

> If your going esata with multiple drives then
> the E19 error shouldn't bother you at all.

Are you assuming it is never necessary to burn a DVD if there is enough storage?

Running low is not my primary reason to burn a DVD. USB on the Philips and VCR/camcorder IN on the Maggie are sources, as is local broadcast content of interest to family scattered all over.

It is not unusual to burn a DVD every week or two. The E19 failure to finalize when there are timed recordings set would make me hostile as both our machines tend to have four or more pages of Timer settings (weekly programs plus sports). Deleting/reentering them would force the finalizing to be batched, a very inconvenient and unsatisfying solution.

If it will take an unfinalized DVD and finalize it, a refurbed Philips 3506/37 DVDRs at Amazon is a $100 hardware solution. The Magnavox ZV457MG9 that works for Stephan56 is a pricier alternative at $200.

I sympathize with all the 'A' buyers who have to live with E19 and can only hope Funai comes through with a fix for them.
post #5260 of 25864 Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've not been reading the thread each and every day, and thus haven't been reading each and every post.

I noticed a comment, tho', about the Maggie being out of stock again. Checking Wal-Mart's website, I see that's the case.

I'm now torn. I'm glad I have mine, despite the problem with finalizing discs, but also wonder if they may not be making them any more at all.

Anyone think this latest problem with availability might be due to the finalization problem, and with Funai and Wal-Mart not wanting to sell any more until the problem's fixed? (Or might it just very well BE a case of them both throwing up their hands and giving up? )
post #5261 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 AM

sydyen wrote:
Quote:

Are you assuming it is never necessary to burn a DVD if there is enough storage?
I sympathize with all the 'A' buyers who have to live with E19 and can only hope Funai comes through with a fix for them.

As for me, I will still burn DVD's but probably much more selectively, thanks to the HD capacity. Only those programs/feature movies that I think will be keepers. I don't think it wise to lay all my eggs in one basket... Something could always happen to the HD that has an unretrievable treasure on it.

Quote:

The E19 failure to finalize when there are timed recordings set would make me hostile...

I HATE the damnable E19 flaw. And everytime I have to do a work around it pains me that Funai hasn't taken the ethical responsibility to fix this for all of us.
But there doesn't seem to be any cheaper alternatives to what I already have right now. I can all but finalize a DVD on the H2160MW9A without deleting an otherwise full timer.
As you pointed out, I do have the ability to complete that process with the ZV457MG9 VCR-DVDR combo that I'm fortunate to also own, and I should be getting my second H2160MW9A sometime this week.
So I do have some flexability with these 3 units to accomplish the finalizing task without too much pain and a little opportune scheduling.
Believe me if there were a reasonably priced refurbished Philips 3575/3576 out there I'd grab it over the H2160MW9A. But it seems that people that have them to sell have already sensed the shortage and are beginning to hike the prices well beyond their initial retail value.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P76KXY/...l_1ywf0cu9h9_b

Check out this Amazon customer review "horror" story on a refurbished H2080MW8
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HVBV8Q/...l_53jurowveg_e

The refurbished/used Philips 3506 you mentioned sounds like a relatively reasonable alternative "if" it will finalize an already written DVD, but even they are being priced out of all reasonable proportion by scalpers...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e?...3506&x=20&y=16

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4356561&sr=1-1

So what is one to do?
Based on stories like this and my own personal experience/s I have my very serious doubts that Funai has either the initiative/will/or technical savvy skills to address this issue in any way other than send out a refurb replacement or offer a refund...
I feel sorry for anyone who has only the H2160MW9A and cannot find or afford a second one or any other alternative to deleting their que in order to finalize a DVD.
This is a sorry, inexcusable shame and we shouldn't have to deal with it. But it seems on a par with many companies not living up to their word these days... and getting away with it. And is small potatoes by comparison with the really big stuff people are going through. Just another telling sign of the times we live in.

Unfortunetly in North America those of us who want to be able to record programs off the air with the flexability of an HD (or even VHS) DVR w/tuner are rapidly running out of alternatives and so must tolerate this sort of corporate abuse or go without...

gastrof wrote:
Quote:

I'm now torn. I'm glad I have mine, despite the problem with finalizing discs, but also wonder if they may not be making them any more at all.

Likewise.

Quote:

Anyone think this latest problem with availability might be due to the finalization problem, and with Funai and Wal-Mart not wanting to sell any more until the problem's fixed? (Or might it just very well BE a case of them both throwing up their hands and giving up?

I think the powers that be (Cable/Satellite companies/FCC/politicians/et al) have gotten in bed together and determined that they can all make more money off of us if they make it next to impossible for those of us who like to record off the air to do so, unless we are feeding their pockets by renting their restrictive equipment.
With the future already written Walmart and other distributors of the handfull of these HD tuner recorders that once were available to us are cleaning out their stock, and since they are no longer going to carry those items especially have no financial incentive to sell defective ones that they are going to have to refund to disatisfied customers.
Likewise, Funai and others have no financial incentive to find a fix (for a problem that should have been detected and remedied long before it hit the shelves in the first place) for an item that they are likely being pressured to no longer sell.
Since they have no way to recoup the "repair" expense they likely don't want to invest in it. And so are "throwing up their hands" and likely writing this defective model and those of us who purchased it off.
So unless someone high within the Funai corporation, with enough clout and ethical balls, thinks that it is worth our "good will" and can find a relatively inexpensive way to remedy the E19 flaw, I doubt that it will ever happen.
I really hope that I'm wrong about this, and only time will tell, but it is my current opinion.
post #5262 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post

auskck wrote:

> If your going esata with multiple drives then
> the E19 error shouldn't bother you at all.

Running low is not my primary reason to burn a DVD. USB on the Philips and VCR/camcorder IN on the Maggie are sources, as is local broadcast content of interest to family scattered all over.
It is not unusual to burn a DVD every week or two. The E19 failure to finalize when there are timed recordings set would make me hostile as both our machines tend to have four or more pages of Timer settings (weekly programs plus sports). Deleting/reentering them would force the finalizing to be batched, a very inconvenient and unsatisfying solution.

If it will take an unfinalized DVD and finalize it, a refurbed Philips 3506/37 DVDRs at Amazon is a $100 hardware solution. The Magnavox ZV457MG9 that works for Stephan56 is a pricier alternative at $200.

No body ever said you would never burn another DVD
post #5263 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

This one is not a bad deal for a 3576
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
I would jump on this one if I need another box
post #5264 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 05:16 AM

I had a question, but managed to figure it out, thanks to you folks.

Here's what happened. Before I post a query, I try to find the answer in the owner's manual so I don't look completely lazy. But I couldn't find the answer there. So I think, hey--instead of looking in the hard-copy manual, why not download the pdf and do an e-search?

So logically, I went to the Magnavox web site to get it. Wasn't there. At least it was invisible to me, no matter how much I poked around. But then a posting here tweaked me to go to the Funai site. There it was. E-search successful. Question answered.

Thanks again!

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
post #5265 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI: Interesting test, these boxes do have some memory.
Scheduled a 1 hr recording session about 1 hr in the future.
Shut down the 3575, swapped drives to a previous used drive and powered up. The recording schedule still there. Power down swap drive back to original drive, power up check schedule and it was there. So swapping previous formatted drives does not lose your schedule. Scheduling recordings is held in memory. Scheduling will be lost if you unplug the unit.
post #5266 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveIdiot View Post

I had a question, but managed to figure it out, thanks to you folks.

Here's what happened. Before I post a query, I try to find the answer in the owner's manual so I don't look completely lazy. But I couldn't find the answer there. So I think, hey--instead of looking in the hard-copy manual, why not download the pdf and do an e-search?

So logically, I went to the Magnavox web site to get it. Wasn't there. At least it was invisible to me, no matter how much I poked around. But then a posting here tweaked me to go to the Funai site. There it was. E-search successful. Question answered.

Have you been to page 1 of the Sticky for a list of help files?

If not, click #1 in my signature.
post #5267 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

. . . Check out this Amazon customer review "horror" story on a refurbished H2080MW8
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HVBV8Q/...l_53jurowveg_e

If one reads the comments appended to this Amazon customer review there is a fellow named "TalkieTime" that upholds the honor of the Magnavox 2080. TalkieTime is none other than a fellow with the AVS name of "DigaDo."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5268 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

If one reads the comments appended to this Amazon customer review there is a fellow named "TalkieTime" that upholds the honor of the Magnavox 2080. TalkieTime is none other than a fellow with the AVS name of "DigaDo."

So you think highly of our friends at Funai? Just like I do.
post #5269 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Need a 2160A volunteer to do a little test on the E19 problem with Finalizing. I'm wondering if there might be a connection between the Disc Edit menu and E19, which is described as "Safety Stop during Editing"... bold added to illustrate possible connection.

Anyway, I'm wondering if NOT using the Disc Edit menu for Finalizing will make any difference.

Nevertheless, one step at a time... here's the test:
  1. Make sure one or more timer rec programs are set.
  2. Set Recording > Auto Finalize > Disc Full to ON.
  3. Insert unfinalized -R or +R disc with titles created in the 2160A.
  4. With Disc Menu up, change Rec Mode to HQ.
  5. Select and press OK on the "Empty Title" and on "Overwrite" (might be the only option).
  6. With Pause symbol and red dot on screen, press PAUSE button. The Empty Title will be overwritten, with count-up and count-down timers showing. At end of overwriting, the disc will be Auto Finalized.
  7. See if you get an E19 or if the Auto Finalize completes successfully. If you don't witness the Finalize progress bar to completion, click the left arrow on any title on 1st page of Disc Menu and see if "Finalized" or "Unfinalized" is in the status menu.
  8. Change rec mode back to your normal default.
Note: this is posted in the Mag thread also... more than one volunteer would be good!
post #5270 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 AM

I have a question for all the knowledge people who read and post here. I received a dvd from Netflix that won't play on my Philips 3576 - I get the message "Disc error. Please eject disc. Playback feature may not be available on this disc." The replacement disc (same title) does not play either. It does however play on my computer and another dvd player. Also, a different dvd does play on the 3576. Any ideas?
post #5271 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

FYI: Possible burner replacment for the 3575/3576 is the Philips DVDR3506 seen here.

Product Features and Technical Details
Product Features

* DVD±R/RW, DVD-Video, CD-R/RW, CD, SVCD, MP3 and WMA playback
* Dual media capability records DVD±R/RW
* 1080i HDMI with high-definition video up-conversion
* Progressive scan component video for optimized image quality
* i.LINK digital input for perfect digital camcorder copies

Technical Details

* Brand Name: Philips
* Model: DVDR3506/37
* DVD Type: DVD recorder with TV tuner
* Parental Lock: Y
* audio_output_mode: Stereo
* Form Factor: Tabletop
* dvd_media_load_type: Tray
* Width: 16.5 inches
* Depth: 9.7 inches
* Height: 2.3 inches
* Weight: 5.3 pounds

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished

What makes you think of this as a possible replacement? Do you have specs or burner model info on it?

--
(this space for rent)
post #5272 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
When mine threw that error the dvd drive had stopped reading or burning entirely. I sent it back to wally worlds extended warranty place and all they claimed they did was update the firmware but the drive was locked up tight and I had to open the case and cycle it manually till it unlocked, after that it now works fine reading and burning. I don't know how they got FW into it unless it will also do a update through the USB port...
It might have something on it the machine just doesn't like to play if all your other disks work fine.
You might want to try cleaning the lens with a gentle cleaning disk or open it up and clean the pickup your self if it keeps having more issues.
I almost never play movies in it, I just burn disks from the HD when they are keepers and maybe play them back through it as well seeing how it properly plays the letter box settings on it's own disks, which my other players wont without redoing the disk and setting the letter box flag properly.
post #5273 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

What makes you think of this as a possible replacement? Do you have specs or burner model info on it?

It appears to use the same burner and things as our unit does. It would make sense for them to use the same burner as much as possible to simplify production and repairs under warranty down the road.
I would also bet the 3475 has the same burner as I think it's the same basic tuner and burner as ours without the Hard drive included.
Only way to know for sure is buy a dead or good one cheap, or get the service manual for it and see if the numbers for the parts match.
post #5274 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Have you been to page 1 of the Sticky for a list of help files?

Yep--often. Am digesting it a little at a time. I'll try not to ask any more questions until I have done so. There's a lot there. And that's a compliment.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
post #5275 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquisitiveIdiot View Post

Yep--often. Am digesting it a little at a time. I'll try not to ask any more questions until I have done so. There's a lot there. And that's a compliment.

No, don't stop asking questions! I just wanted to make sure you knew there's a lot of info available, when needed. Some people never go to page 1
post #5276 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrac View Post

I have a question for all the knowledge people who read and post here. I received a dvd from Netflix that won't play on my Philips 3576 - I get the message "Disc error. Please eject disc. Playback feature may not be available on this disc." The replacement disc (same title) does not play either. It does however play on my computer and another dvd player. Also, a different dvd does play on the 3576. Any ideas?

I wouldn't worry about is as long as you can play other discs on the 3576. Maybe the Philips doesn't like that flick! OTOH, rental discs are notorious for being abused.

Maybe you should consider playing rentals on a cheap DVD player and save the DVD burner for the lifetime of the 3576. I know this is unasked for advice, but the 3576 is going to be nearly impossible to replace very soon.
post #5277 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Need a 2160A volunteer to do a little test on the E19 problem with Finalizing. I'm wondering if there might be a connection between the Disc Edit menu and E19, which is described as "Safety Stop during Editing"... bold added to illustrate possible connection.

Anyway, I'm wondering if NOT using the Disc Edit menu for Finalizing will make any difference. (This still wouldn't explain why a Formatting might fail... that's not a Disc Edit menu function.)

Nevertheless, one step at a time... here's the test:
  1. Make sure one or more timer rec programs are set.
  2. Set Recording > Auto Finalize > Disc Full to ON.
  3. Insert unfinalized -R or +R disc with titles created in the 2160A.
  4. With Disc Menu up, change Rec Mode to HQ.
  5. Select and press OK on the "Empty Title" and on "Overwrite" (might be the only option).
  6. With Pause symbol and red dot on screen, press PAUSE button. The Empty Title will be overwritten, with count-up and count-down timers showing. At end of overwriting, the disc will be Auto Finalized.
  7. See if you get an E19 or if the Auto Finalize completes successfully. If you don't witness the Finalize progress bar to completion, click the left arrow on any title on 1st page of Disc Menu and see if "Finalized" or "Unfinalized" is in the status menu.
  8. Change rec mode back to your normal default.
Note: this is posted in the Mag thread also... more than one volunteer would be good!

I needed try out the combination of the H2160A, DTV converter box, Samsung VCR box as RF converter to old TV hook-up described recently. That works fine for me, nice to know, although I'm unsure I will actually set up my 2160 that way. For now, it just lives in the original carton while my 3576 takes care of my daily timeshifting of OTA and satellite content.
On to the test - the bad news is that it is no better as a final result. If it makes a difference, I got error E10, not E19, when following the steps outlined above. Net result is the same, the message appears as 'can not record on this disc' and will not finalize. I tried it a second time with a different disc, just to be sure it wasn't related to a piece of media, no different. As soon as I deleted the one and only existing timer entry, the disc finalized as we all would expect.
I'm resolved to the fact that this unit will likely always have this flaw, but since this forum gives us so many good ideas/solutions/work-arounds, having it is much better than not having a HDD=>DVD unit that doesn't require a monthly fee to use. I am, overall, a happy owner of my 3576/H2160A DVDR's.
post #5278 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorm View Post

what makes you think of this as a possible replacement? Do you have specs or burner model info on it?

mo
post #5279 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbuckeyeracer View Post

On to the test - the bad news is that it is no better as a final result. If it makes a difference, I got error E10, not E19, when following the steps outlined above. Net result is the same, the message appears as 'can not record on this disc' and will not finalize. I tried it a second time with a different disc, just to be sure it wasn't related to a piece of media, no different. As soon as I deleted the one and only existing timer entry, the disc finalized as we all would expect.

Bummer... but many thanks for trying the test.

E10 is "Encode Pause condition continued for 10 minutes"... weird that it seems to think something else is happening other than a simple Finalize!?
post #5280 of 25864 Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Bummer... but many thanks for trying the test.

E10 is "Encode Pause condition continued for 10 minutes"... weird that it seems to think something else is happening other than a simple Finalize!?

I could have mentioned that was the behavior. It just sat at 00:00 count-up (top) and 46 min count-down (lower right) for about 10 minutes BEFORE the E10 message appeared. per step 6 ... The Empty Title will be overwritten, with count-up and count-down timers showing ... I pressed pause to begin, the counters never moved. After that, the error screen appears and I used the CLEAR key to ack and exit.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page