Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Hmmm . . . does somebody know something or have reason to believe these $199 "refurbs" are something more than just open-box returns with all the pieces in a newly taped box? I know we hope they are, but can anyone verify the firmware has been updated to the most recent or that the QAM tuner problem has been fixed in these.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Member
 
jeffk1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am considering a DVD recorder and have a few questions. All I want my DVD recorder to do is to be able to record one show while watching another and also perform timer recordings. I do not use a receiver and the recorder would be set up with the cable from my wall going into the recorder and then the recorder to my LCD TV using the HDMI output.

1) If my LCD TV has a QAM tuner built in, will a DVD recorder with the same QAM tuner cause any problems?

2) Will it record the HD channels I receive through my QAM antenna as well as regular non HD cable channels?

3) Can I record one channel while watching another?

Thanks for your help,
jeff
jeffk1965 is offline  
post #543 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk1965 View Post

Hi,

I am considering a DVD recorder and have a few questions. All I want my DVD recorder to do is to be able to record one show while watching another and also perform timer recordings. I do not use a receiver and the recorder would be set up with the cable from my wall going into the recorder and then the recorder to my LCD TV using the HDMI output.

1) If my LCD TV has a QAM tuner built in, will a DVD recorder with the same QAM tuner cause any problems?

2) Will it record the HD channels I receive through my QAM antenna as well as regular non HD cable channels?

3) Can I record one channel while watching another?

1) No problem. Connected with DVDR 1st on coax and continuing coax thru DVDR to TV makes each unit independent, as described here.

2) It has NTSC and ATSC tuners for analog and digital/HD channels received thru antenna and a QAM tuner for cable channels. Not exactly sure if you're mixing antenna and cable signals, which I don't do but have read others who tried and it was "difficult" or "impossible" depending on who was doing it. One problem with mixing is that channel scanning has three options: Antenna, Cable (Analog), or Cable (Analog/Digital), and you can only scan one... they are mutually exclusive.

Anyone else help with mixing antenna and cable signals, (if that's what your asking)?

3) Connected as described in 1) and the link makes each unit independent and capable of tuning different channels and the 3575 recording one channel while watching another on the TV.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wajo is offline  
post #544 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Member
 
jeffk1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for getting back to me...

If I go from cable from wall into DVD R and then use coax cable from DVD R into LCD TV, will it still upscale DVDs to 1080i/p?

Is an HDMI cable needed and if so, do I then need a splitter to split the cable by attaching one from wall to TV and one from wall to DVDr so I can watch one channel while recording another

Thanks again,
Jeff
jeffk1965 is offline  
post #545 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk1965 View Post

If I go from cable from wall into DVD R and then use coax cable from DVD R into LCD TV, will it still upscale DVDs to 1080i/p?

This coax run from wall thru DVDR to TV will only pass the cable/antenna signal thru the DVDR and to the TV. It feeds the DVDR's tuner (at 480i SDTV) and the TV's tuner separately (in whatever raw format/rez you receive, even HDTV). This is true "passthru"... not downrezzed or converted.

This is how you watch TV normally, w/o turning the DVDR on. Nothing internal from the DVDR (menus, tuner, HDD or DVD) will pass thru the coax cable... that's why you need a separate line connection between the DVDR and the TV (composite, S-Video, Component, or HDMI, or all four if you want and your TV allows them all). This line connection carries the internal DVDR signals to the TV. You can only upscale the DVDR's internal signal (menus, tuner, HDD or DVD) with the HDMI connection. Other line connections don't upscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk1965 View Post

Is an HDMI cable needed and if so, do I then need a splitter to split the cable by attaching one from wall to TV and one from wall to DVDr so I can watch one channel while recording another

No splitter is needed. With the coax connection described above, and the separate line connection, you can watch a channel thru the TV's tuner while simultaneously recording a different channel thru the DVDR's tuner. The TV and DVDR will be independent tuner units.

I gave this link before but not sure you've read it yet. Click here.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wajo is offline  
post #546 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Newbie
 
ECam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a bunch Wajo,for your input. I was going to buy the Philips DVDR3575H/37, with all its shortcomings and I was excited to see Philips had released a new "upgraded" model, the "...76H", thinking many, if not all, the negative traits of the "...75H" would be corrected. It seems that the only thing new is a $50 paint job. Have you, or anyone, found any functional difference in the two models? Thanks for your help.
ECam43 is offline  
post #547 of 25920 Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
AFAIK, the 76 isn't out yet, but they must surely have made the hdwe fix the 75 needed for those using analog cable feed, since their replacement 75 units appeared to have that fix. Still only speculation, tho.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wajo is offline  
post #548 of 25920 Old 03-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Member
 
jeffk1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help!!
jeffk1965 is offline  
post #549 of 25920 Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Member
 
steve-avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

Used the same cables that were in place with previous DVDr - a LiteOn 5005. On that unit you have to turn on the output before component would work so I thought it might be the same with this unit. In reading the manual maybe the progressive output has to be on for component to work?

The component output is always on and the default mode is interlaced. I use it this way myself. You turn on/off progressive mode in the Setup-Video-Progressive Scan menu. Good luck.
steve-avs is offline  
post #550 of 25920 Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Newbie
 
ECam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

AFAIK, the 76 isn't out yet, but they must surely have made the hdwe fix the 75 needed for those using analog cable feed, since their replacement 75 units appeared to have that fix. Still only speculation, tho.

Thanks again Wajo for your help. I am anxious for the "...76H/37" to become available so that the changes, if any, will be known and I can evaluate if it is worth the extra $50.
ECam43 is offline  
post #551 of 25920 Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
biker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 3,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-avs View Post

The component output is always on and the default mode is interlaced. I use it this way myself. You turn on/off progressive mode in the Setup-Video-Progressive Scan menu. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Somehow between diconnecting from the old DVDr and connecting this new unit the component cable went bad. With a new cable all's well.
biker19 is offline  
post #552 of 25920 Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Newbie
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I've just gotten my 3575H/37, and I'm having a problem with the initial setup.

I didn't see anything specifically in the thread previously...

I'm running Charter cable through a motorola cable box, and I've made all the connections properly as far as I can tell. Cable box coax to the "antenna in", coax from the "out" to the TV, and all the red/yellow/white cables appropriately.

I cannot get the setup menu to come up. The manual says to put the TV on channel 2 and then search for the channel that give you the menu with the DVDR powered on.
Nothing happens. It scrolls though all the channels, but no menu.

Is the cable supposed to be off during this? (I've tried it both ways)
Some essential connection I'm missing? Seems pretty straightforward....
Bikewer is offline  
post #553 of 25920 Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
You need to place the 3575 1st on the coax, as described here. Run a line connection from the 3575 to your TV so you can see menus, etc. from the 3575. Run a line connection (S-Video or Composite) from the box output to a 3575 input for recording scrambled channels or those only the box can tune. (Turn S-Video On in the Video menu if you use that.)

The press the Setup button and go to the Clock menu to set up the clock, then the Channel menu and do an Auto Channel Preset, as described here.

For help on connections, see this post.

For help and tips on other subject, click the link at the bottom of any of those pages I linked to above to get the complete list.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wajo is offline  
post #554 of 25920 Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,834
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Do not use CH2 on your TV. Select line in on your TV to watch or setup the 3575.
jjeff is online now  
post #555 of 25920 Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As usual, after figuring it out, I feel like a dummy. I haven't used the TV's remote for about two years. I dug it out and used that to switch to "video 1" (as I remembered I used to have to do with VCRs)

So, it's doing it's channel-set now. I may play with some of these other setups as well.
Bikewer is offline  
post #556 of 25920 Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Member
 
redchev1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Hmmm . . . does somebody know something or have reason to believe these $199 "refurbs" are something more than just open-box returns with all the pieces in a newly taped box? I know we hope they are, but can anyone verify the firmware has been updated to the most recent or that the QAM tuner problem has been fixed in these.

I received one yesterday from the outlet. I didn't check the firmware but I can confirm that the QAM tuner was not fixed. Same as the two new ones from Circuit City. It's packed up to go to the repair center tomorrow.
redchev1 is offline  
post #557 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchev1 View Post

I received one yesterday from the outlet. I didn't check the firmware but I can confirm that the QAM tuner was not fixed. Same as the two new ones from Circuit City. It's packed up to go to the repair center tomorrow.

How does the return work on the "Factory renewed" units from the Philips outlet center that are DOA?
Who pays shipping to the repair center?
Do they extend the 90 day warranty so that you get 90 days from when you actually receive a working unit?
kenavs is offline  
post #558 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Newbie
 
rbremmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchev1 View Post

I received one yesterday from the outlet. I didn't check the firmware but I can confirm that the QAM tuner was not fixed. Same as the two new ones from Circuit City. It's packed up to go to the repair center tomorrow.

I'm very confused. I can't find anything in the product info that says the 3575 or the 3576 has a QAM tuner. In fact, I was told when I called Philips that it does not. Is this wrong? Does it really have one?
rbremmer is offline  
post #559 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbremmer View Post

I'm very confused. I can't find anything in the product info that says the 3575 or the 3576 has a QAM tuner. In fact, I was told when I called Philips that it does not. Is this wrong? Does it really have one?

Yes, it has a QAM tuner. Doesn't work very well, but it does have one. Given the problems, maybe Philips just doesn't want to acknowledge it anymore.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #560 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,834
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I agree, even Panasonic does not say QAM anywhere on there boxes or even in the manual. The closest it gets is "digital cable" in the specs.
I think with Switched Digital and all the problems in general with QAM no one is going to advertise it. If people don't think it will get QAM and it does get a little they will be happier than if they were told it would work, and only gets a little.
Either way it will get the same channels, there just lowering peoples expectations.
When you think about it, the majority of 3575 problems revolved around the QAM tuner, nothing much else except the occasional dark picture which also seems to relate to the tuner.
jjeff is online now  
post #561 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

When you think about it, the majority of 3575 problems revolved around the QAM tuner, nothing much else except the occasional dark picture which also seems to relate to the tuner.

Other than an editing problem that involves splitting titles and cutting commercials, what other problems are there with the 3575 that don't involve the QAM tuner? Can you remember the last OTA user that complained? I can't.

And we can't blame the cable co's. There are now several posts from people with multiple QAM tuners who report the issue is with the Philips alone. The QAM tuner on the 3575 is just bad news.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #562 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Member
 
redchev1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

How does the return work on the "Factory renewed" units from the Philips outlet center that are DOA?
Who pays shipping to the repair center?
Do they extend the 90 day warranty so that you get 90 days from when you actually receive a working unit?

The DOA "Factory Renewed" return works exactly the same as a DOA brand new unit from Circuit City. The customer has to pay the shipping from home to the Philips Repair and Exchange Center in Arkansas (zip 72761). In my case from the West Coast it was $20.50 by UPS Ground insured. Philips pays the return shipping. I know the policy for the new unit because I checked with Philips customer service before I returned another DOA to Circuit City.

Although I had read on some posts here that Philips had sent someone an exchange unit prior to the return of the defective unit and included a label for the return shipping in the box, neither customer service person that I talked to was aware of the policy. Maybe if you buy a new one from their site and buy a service plan they do that. I don't mind it one time if I get a working unit in return. If I don't I will be less patient.

I did not ask about the 90 day warranty. I would expect to have a working unit before then.

The July 2007 build dated "renewed" unit had a much darker picture than the brand new Dec 2007 and Jan 2008 units that I returned to CC. If the first unit had displayed like this one I probably would not have bought another. The Jan unit worked so well (when it did work) that I thought it would be worth the hassle to get a good one that works all of the time.
redchev1 is offline  
post #563 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Newbie
 
Metra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

How does the return work on the "Factory renewed" units from the Philips outlet center that are DOA?
Who pays shipping to the repair center?
Do they extend the 90 day warranty so that you get 90 days from when you actually receive a working unit?

I just got a "Factory Renewed" unit direct from the Philips Outlet store, and it's a dud - the digital tuner can't hold the channels (I've got another 3575 that works and holds the channels, so the problem isn't the cable company). I called the Philips customer service number (800-451-2851), and the initial message gives you another number to call for technical problems (888-744-5477). Since a flawed unit seemed like a technical problem to me, I hung up and called the 888 number instead. After jumping through the hoops with the tech guy, he said that I could pay to ship it in for repair, or I could call the main 800 number again and the reps there could do a return. So I hung up, called the main 800 number, waited for a rep, and they authorized a return where they pay for shipping.

Apparently the people at the 888 number do not have the authority to pay for return shipping or process a return (only repair), but the reps at the 800 number can pay for return shipping and process a return.

They emailed me a link for a fedex label for shipping. I've sent the unit back but the credit hasn't shown up on my credit card yet (they don't credit your card until they actually receive the unit back, so it's really too soon). I was surprised they'd do a refund - I thought they'd want to send a replacement unit instead since it's a refurb. If they'd send a working one I'd actually prefer that, but I figured I should just keep it simple and take the refund.

I love the 3575 I have that works, so now I'm back to hunting for another one!
Metra is offline  
post #564 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Member
 
redchev1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metra View Post

I just got a "Factory Renewed" unit direct from the Philips Outlet store, and it's a dud - the digital tuner can't hold the channels (I've got another 3575 that works and holds the channels, so the problem isn't the cable company). I called the Philips customer service number (800-451-2851), and the initial message gives you another number to call for technical problems (888-744-5477). Since a flawed unit seemed like a technical problem to me, I hung up and called the 888 number instead. After jumping through the hoops with the tech guy, he said that I could pay to ship it in for repair, or I could call the main 800 number again and the reps there could do a return. So I hung up, called the main 800 number, waited for a rep, and they authorized a return where they pay for shipping.

Apparently the people at the 888 number do not have the authority to pay for return shipping or process a return (only repair), but the reps at the 800 number can pay for return shipping and process a return.

They emailed me a link for a fedex label for shipping. I've sent the unit back but the credit hasn't shown up on my credit card yet (they don't credit your card until they actually receive the unit back, so it's really too soon). I was surprised they'd do a refund - I thought they'd want to send a replacement unit instead since it's a refurb. If they'd send a working one I'd actually prefer that, but I figured I should just keep it simple and take the refund.

I love the 3575 I have that works, so now I'm back to hunting for another one!

Thanks for the information. I will definately use it if my next repaired unit does not work. Where did you get the 3575 that works?
redchev1 is offline  
post #565 of 25920 Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metra View Post

I just got a "Factory Renewed" unit direct from the Philips Outlet store, and it's a dud - the digital tuner can't hold the channels (I've got another 3575 that works and holds the channels, so the problem isn't the cable company). I called the Philips customer service number (800-451-2851), and the initial message gives you another number to call for technical problems (888-744-5477). Since a flawed unit seemed like a technical problem to me, I hung up and called the 888 number instead. After jumping through the hoops with the tech guy, he said that I could pay to ship it in for repair, or I could call the main 800 number again and the reps there could do a return. So I hung up, called the main 800 number, waited for a rep, and they authorized a return where they pay for shipping.

Apparently the people at the 888 number do not have the authority to pay for return shipping or process a return (only repair), but the reps at the 800 number can pay for return shipping and process a return.

They emailed me a link for a fedex label for shipping. I've sent the unit back but the credit hasn't shown up on my credit card yet (they don't credit your card until they actually receive the unit back, so it's really too soon). I was surprised they'd do a refund - I thought they'd want to send a replacement unit instead since it's a refurb. If they'd send a working one I'd actually prefer that, but I figured I should just keep it simple and take the refund.

I love the 3575 I have that works, so now I'm back to hunting for another one!

I am glad to hear that at least there is an arrangement that does not have a permanent cost to you, other than the use of your money. If one is the type who always pays the bill in full, at least they can avoid finance charges (if the bill and credit fall into different billing cycles) by paying the bill and having the credit card company issue them a refund when the credit gets processed. I am not aware of very many businesses that issue a credit until they get the returned item back, so their policy does not seem abusive to me.

Personally, I try to avoid dealing with a business if it offers no way to avoid paying shipping on a DOA.
kenavs is offline  
post #566 of 25920 Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Member
 
CoUchPOtato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to try the 3725 and went down to Walmart to see if I could get lucky. They had 2 stacks of them and because of my bad luck with electronics lately, I decided to rub and hug each box to see if I could get some good karma. I finally decided on one and rushed home to let her rip.

Opened the manual to see a warning of not keeping programs on the hard drive and to delete them asap. Immediately I thought this must be a fairly unstable hard drive or software combination. I own a pany dmr-e80 which holds programs without any problem.

I proceeded to hook the unit up and turn it on. Wow this is a noisy unit, and mumbled to myself this thing better run really good from here on out. The Digital tuner worked good enough and the quality was exceptable. Next I tried a timed recording to a Toyo Disc, it ordered me to install recordable media and would not record to the disc. After a minute or so it then started recording the timed event to the hard drive instead. I then did a manual recording to the Toyo disc and it recorded fine. Now I noticed some flashing and blinking with color and brightness. It turned out after a lot of cable checking to be a bad 'S' input on the 3575. Next I noticed the date had fallen back one week.
Needless to say after just 2 days of use this unit is going right back to Walmart. Judging by this unit I would think buying a reconditioned unit to be a risky proposition.
CoUchPOtato2 is offline  
post #567 of 25920 Old 04-03-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
For the benefit of others, here's some ideas on this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoUchPOtato2 View Post

Opened the manual to see a warning of not keeping programs on the hard drive and to delete them asap. Immediately I thought this must be a fairly unstable hard drive or software combination. I own a pany dmr-e80 which holds programs without any problem.

Virtually all DVDRs warn about "keeping things on the HDD" and "Not for permanent storage" somewhere.

Here are some stats on the HDD:
Power On to Ready from Standby = 16 sec
Nonrecoverable Read Errors per Bits Read = 1 sector per 10 to the 14th power
Annualized Failure Rate (AFR) = 0.68%
Contact Start-Stop Cycles = 50,000
Warranty = 5 years (prob. only to Philips, not consumer?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoUchPOtato2 View Post

I proceeded to hook the unit up and turn it on. Wow this is a noisy unit, and mumbled to myself this thing better run really good from here on out. The Digital tuner worked good enough and the quality was exceptable. Next I tried a timed recording to a Toyo Disc, it ordered me to install recordable media and would not record to the disc. After a minute or so it then started recording the timed event to the hard drive instead.

Never heard of a real problem recording to a disc if that drive is selected, etc.

The 3575 does have a feature called Alternate Recording: If there is no recordable disc in the unit, or if the disc does not have enough space to complete the recording, or if the material is a copy-once program (can't be recorded on a DVD), the unit will detect it and automatically record to the HDD even when DVD is selected. This feature is available only for timer recording. Not available for manual timed recording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoUchPOtato2 View Post

I then did a manual recording to the Toyo disc and it recorded fine. Now I noticed some flashing and blinking with color and brightness. It turned out after a lot of cable checking to be a bad 'S' input on the 3575. Next I noticed the date had fallen back one week.

Not sure on the bad S-Video input, but the clock can have problems finding a stable auto-clock signal, esp. if a coax isn't connected (i.e., the signal comes from a line input E1). Easily solved by setting clock Manually and turning Auto-Clock and DST off. Unfortunately, they rely on the unreliable PBS for the clock signal at noon and midnight (my PBS goes OFF AIR Sunday night to Monday morning!).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wajo is offline  
post #568 of 25920 Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Member
 
glenmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having worked with video for many years, I have found that when you get flashing or loss of color with a s-vhs input, it is 99.9% always the cable itself. The tiny wires soldered to the pins are susceptible to wear and breakage. I would try another (new) cable before I jumped to conclusions, even if that same cable worked before on another unit.
glenmike is offline  
post #569 of 25920 Old 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Newbie
 
ECam43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to see what Philips would say, I sent an e-mail inquiry about the new Philips DVDR3576H/37, asking if there was something not shown on the spec sheet (they are identical) that made the new model different/better than the old model. Part of my message read: "....Please tell me there is a difference between the two models. Please tell me you didn't just take the old model, give it a $50 paint job and release it as a "new" model." The answer came back that both models were "...identical except for the release date...". So if you are in the market for a Philips DVDR with a hard drive, better get the DVDR3575H/37 while they are still available. Otherwise, you will have to pay and extra $50 for the "newest" model. IMO, the Philips marketing group has driven their credibility to a new low.
ECam43 is offline  
post #570 of 25920 Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Member
 
CoUchPOtato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wajo...

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try living with the noise emitting from it for a while & see what happens, but its giving me a headache.

1. Would it be ok to hold programs on the drive for short periods like a month?
2. Guess it did not like my Toyo premiums too much although it did work on 2 of 4 timed recordings sessions. What type discs do you recommend?
3. S input apparently not flashing anymore after resetting the default settings in setup and then reselecting S input again
4. Will try turning auto clock off
CoUchPOtato2 is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off