Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 204 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6091 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just for the curiousity factor, I was kind of hoping mine would have some titles from the previous owner. Alas, mine only had HDD Power On Hours: 1. I doubt they finished unpacking it, let alone do a channel scan.

I feel like my eyes have been opened to a new world of refurbished merchandise. My Sony CD/Radio/Cassette boombox also arrived in excellent condition for less than $18 shipped. Sure, they've lost alot of their appeal, as Lazza pointed out, because this particular model does not have a USB port or ipod jack. I mainly use it as a portable radio around the house and in the garage when I work on my cars. I also have a pretty decent collection of CD's and, yes, cassettes from when I was a kid. Like Falco's Rock Me Amadeus. Anyway, it was a good enough deal that they sold out before the sale ended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Question about recording widescreen shows. I set the display up to have widescreen recording but when every time I play back the recorded material it will have it in the box form. I also have to zoom in to get the widescreen effect while playing the show back. This also happens when I am viewing the autostarted recordings...it always shrinks it when I'm playing back the recording. Is this normal?

Thanks.
post #6093 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post

Question about recording widescreen shows. I set the display up to have widescreen recording but when every time I play back the recorded material it will have it in the box form. I also have to zoom in to get the widescreen effect while playing the show back. This also happens when I am viewing the autostarted recordings...it always shrinks it when I'm playing back the recording. Is this normal?

Are you recording from a cable or sat box via a line input and, if so, is the box a Motorola or SA8300?
post #6094 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Are you recording from a cable or sat box via a line input and, if so, is the box a Motorola or SA8300?

I am just recording OTA by hooking it up to an antenna and then connecting the DVDR to my tv via HDMI
post #6095 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am just recording OTA by hooking it up to an antenna and then connecting the DVDR to my tv via HDMI

You should be able to maintain 16:9 WS on true WS programs by setting the DVDR's Setup > Recording > TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide", and your TV set for "Wide" or whatever it names for its WS aspect.

The default is 4:3 Letter Box.
post #6096 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Walmart has reduced their 2160A price to an "amazing" $247.00 with 97-cent shipping... big whoop!

ALERT: One new used who bought a Walmart unit (I surmise) posted an astonishing thing about DVD-RW/+RW formatting:

"This unit satisfied my need for another hard drive recorder with a digital tuner. The features and performance are great at a very good price.

Had problems formatting DVD-RW and DVD+RW disks
until I moved the unit away from a stereo speaker that was too close."

I wonder if he just hadn't set any timer rec programs?
post #6097 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:

You should be able to maintain 16:9 WS on true WS programs by setting the DVDR's Setup > Recording > TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide", and your TV set for "Wide" or whatever it names for its WS aspect.

The default is 4:3 Letter Box.

I already have my DVR recording setup as 16:9 wide and TV set to wide. When I'm just watching, it will be in widescreen but when i press VPlay or play a recording I always have to readjust and zoom it to wide using the TV settings on my remote. This is just a minor annoyance but I was wondering if there was a fix or is it just my box?

Thanks.
post #6098 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I already have my DVR recording setup as 16:9 wide and TV set to wide. When I'm just watching, it will be in widescreen but when i press VPlay or play a recording I always have to readjust and zoom it to wide using the TV settings on my remote. This is just a minor annoyance but I was wondering if there was a fix or is it just my box?

That shouldn't be happening so there must be something we're missing.

Are you connected as shown in Sketch 1 here?

Did you check the wide settings again and make sure they "took"... I've noticed that sometimes a change in my DVDR Aspect setting doesn't "take"... the pic hangs on its last aspect and takes a 2nd or even 3rd try at toggling the checkmark to a new aspect setting. If working correctly, once you press the SETUP button to exit the aspect setting menu, the pic should "pop" into its new shape, i.e., you should see a change in aspect almost immediately, but again, only on a digital channel.

Go to a digital channel showing a WS programon your TV and same channel on your 2160, then switch the TV to the 2160's input. Notice if the pic thru the 2160 ir also WS or LB.

If LB, open the 2160's Recording > TV Aspect menu, select 16:9 Wide again and press the Setup button to exit. The pic on the TV (on the 2160's input) should "pop" into WS aspect. If it doesn't, try clicking the 16:9 Wide option again, press Setup to exit, and watch for pop in aspect to WS. Might have to try this 3 or more times (if your unit acts like mine does sometimes... not often tho).
post #6099 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Thanks.

Were the recordings made with the recorder set to 16:9 ?
post #6100 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco63 View Post

Curiously it had three titles on the hard drive from the previous owner recorded from stations from Philadelphia

The Doctor's - rec date 02/13/09
20/20 - A Hidden America - Appalachia's Children - rec date 02/13/09
Jerry Springer show - only 28 seconds recorded.

Obviously trying to record the Jerry Springer Show broke the unit. All the bleeped out content in the first 28 seconds of the show caused problems.
post #6101 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas_Tom View Post

Obviously trying to record the Jerry Springer Show broke the unit. All the bleeped out content in the first 28 seconds of the show caused problems.

The J&R 2160 that arrived yesterday had a thirty second recording on the hard drive. This was from a digital sub-channel of unknown origin. I assumed that it was a test recording made during the refurbishing process.

The earlier J&R 2160 had a "clean" hard drive.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6102 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:

That shouldn't be happening so there must be something we're missing.

Are you connected as shown in Sketch 1 here?

Did you check the wide settings again and make sure they "took"... I've noticed that sometimes a change in my DVDR Aspect setting doesn't "take"... the pic hangs on its last aspect and takes a 2nd or even 3rd try at toggling the checkmark to a new aspect setting. If working correctly, once you press the SETUP button to exit the aspect setting menu, the pic should "pop" into its new shape, i.e., you should see a change in aspect almost immediately, but again, only on a digital channel.

Go to a digital channel showing a WS programon your TV and same channel on your 2160, then switch the TV to the 2160's input. Notice if the pic thru the 2160 ir also WS or LB.

If LB, open the 2160's Recording > TV Aspect menu, select 16:9 Wide again and press the Setup button to exit. The pic on the TV (on the 2160's input) should "pop" into WS aspect. If it doesn't, try clicking the 16:9 Wide option again, press Setup to exit, and watch for pop in aspect to WS. Might have to try this 3 or more times (if your unit acts like mine does sometimes... not often tho).

Yes I have it hooked up all correctly and the TV Aspect setting on the recorder was set on wide and it did change the display to wide after setting it. I then decided to mess with the HDMI settings and changed it to 1080p. Eureka! When I played back my recording, it was widescreen like normal without needing to mess with my tv remote to zoom in! That solved my problem. Also, I actually think the DVDRecorder upscaled my recordings to 1080p wonderfully! I was disappointed at the quality of the recordings I was making while watching it at 480p but when I upscaled it, it looked almost like real HD! I don't know how to set my HDTV to upscale video and maybe that's why it looked like 480p when I was viewing it? I thought HDTVs upscale automatically though.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help! I was seriously considering getting a DTVPal because of the recording quality was lower than I wanted but now it looks very good when upscaled to 1080p!
post #6103 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes I have it hooked up all correctly and the TV Aspect setting on the recorder was set on wide and it did change the display to wide after setting it. I then decided to mess with the HDMI settings and changed it to 1080p. Eureka! When I played back my recording, it was widescreen like normal without needing to mess with my tv remote to zoom in! That solved my problem. Also, I actually think the DVDRecorder upscaled my recordings to 1080p wonderfully! I was disappointed at the quality of the recordings I was making while watching it at 480p but when I upscaled it, it looked almost like real HD! I don't know how to set my HDTV to upscale video and maybe that's why it looked like 480p when I was viewing it? I thought HDTVs upscale automatically though.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help! I was seriously considering getting a DTVPal because of the recording quality was lower than I wanted but now it looks very good when upscaled to 1080p!

What's the name and model number of your TV?

I might have to put a note in the Settings help file on the HDMI format cuz my recommendation now is to try 480p and let your TV upscale with its more expensive and dedicated circuity. I guess I asssumed all HDTV's would upscale and/or recreate the aspect sent by the DVDR over HDMI, but apparently NOT???
post #6104 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Back when I was researching my HDTV upgrade I was thinking about a Panasonic set and their manual seemed to state that if you fed it a 720p signal it would display a black screen and not up convert it or anything.
I checked around and some people seemed to say it was true but I never actually tested one out I gave up and decided I liked the Toshiba 34hfx84 better anyways and it does all the normal formats a CRT HDTV should except for 1080p which wasn't out then.
I think some of the older sets were like that, plus some are EDTV's which only did 480p and other things like that.
post #6105 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:

What's the name and model number of your TV?

I might have to put a note in the Settings help file on the HDMI format cuz my recommendation now is to try 480p and let your TV upscale with its more expensive and dedicated circuity. I guess I asssumed all HDTV's would upscale and/or recreate the aspect sent by the DVDR over HDMI, but apparently NOT???

Toshiba 32HL67 HDTV I believe. Yeah the reason why i didn't try upscaling using the HDMI to 1080p was because i thought it would be worst. I guess it would be nice to update that recommendation and tell people to try upscaling to see what works better for them. It probably is TV dependent.
post #6106 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Toshiba 32HL67 HDTV I believe. Yeah the reason why i didn't try upscaling using the HDMI to 1080p was because i thought it would be worst. I guess it would be nice to update that recommendation and tell people to try upscaling to see what works better for them. It probably is TV dependent.

Your 32in tv does not sound like it is 1080P so sending 1080P does not make scene, since the tv will then down grade to 720P
I don't know of any 32" TV's that display true 1080P if there are some they are very few. They may except 1080P signal but can not display it as 1080P.
Update: your TV specs are
* Price as Tested: $999.99 List
* Screen Size: 32 inches
* Type: LCD TV, HDTV
* Native Resolution: 1366 x 768
* Supported Video Formats: 480p, 720p, 1080i, 480i, 1080p
* Widescreen: Yes
* Aspect Ratio: 4:3
* Video Inputs: HDMI, RF
* Built-in TV Tuner: NTSC, ATSC

What ever woks best for you.
post #6107 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

... has anyone had a Magnavox 2160 or Philips equivalent break down on them or mess up within 3 years? I was curious on the failure rate of these machines since everyone seems to be buying the 3 year warranties...Did anyone decide not to buy a 3 year warranty? I was considering a warranty because my panasonic dvd recorder went bad within 2 years but it seems like that model had a lot of problems.

Using info provided by some people here, I created some tables in the SKIP 079 help file that show "In-Service Machine Usage Data" (bottom of that help file).

I'd like to keep those tables updated and new users added. Please post results here and I'll add to the tables.

If you have multiple machines of same model, I'm just interested in the one with the most hrs:min. cuz that's the purpose of the tables, i.e., max. "longevity" to date based on usage... lesser-used units not important.

Check HDD ON hours with SKIP 079... but don't press OK after Self-Check or you'll format the HDD and lose everything.

Check DVD-WR and DVD-RD times with SKIP 321.
post #6108 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI: With the 3575/3576 and soon to be refrb 2160 converted to esata drives, I have to many drives to list. Very little time on the burners. It would not be a fair assessment of use
post #6109 of 25743 Old 08-01-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using info provided by some people here, I created some tables in the SKIP 079 help file that show "In-Service Machine Longevity" data . . .

I'd like to keep those tables updated and new users added. Please post results here and I'll add to the tables. If you have multiple machines of same model, I'm just interested in the one with the most hrs:min. cuz that's the purpose of the tables, i.e., max. "longevity" to date based on usage... lesser-used units not important.

Wajo,

It's easier for me to give you the data for all my Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders and let you decide if you want to use any of it.

Here is the current data showing MODels, with ManuFacturinG year/month, my INSeRVice year/month indicating purchased New or Refurbished, Hard Drive HourRs, DVD WR, and DVD RD:

MOD, MFG, INSRV, HDHR, DVDWR, DVDRD

3575, 708, 804R, 929, 105:11, 341:59

3576, 802, 904R, 205, 10:36, 44:37

2160, 808, 812N, 516, 24:35, 106:47

2080, 707, 812R, *638, 54:19, 158:18

2160, 812, 907R, 316, 0:18, 3:36

2160, 805, 907R, 11, 0, 0:14

*Hard drive upgraded in March 2009

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #6110 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Still no luck with the 2160A's inability to tune channel's w/o STB that TV tuner is capable of.

I only have a couple of days left before I can return it (Tues.)
Bad tuner, or just the way 2160's are - both 2008 and 2009 models.
Advice???

BTW: just saw a pair of 3570H's for $50 ea., sans remote.
Know where I could track down a replacement RC for this model?

All For Fun | HTPC & Gaming
post #6111 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post

Still no luck with the 2160A's inability to tune channel's w/o STB that TV tuner is capable of.

I only have a couple of days left before I can return it (Tues.)
Bad tuner, or just the way 2160's are - both 2008 and 2009 models.
Advice???

If you've got a Comcast DTA, you might be able to find Comcast's channels that your DVDR can't find by using The Sydyen Procedure, described here?
post #6112 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Q. Public View Post

The DVDR3570H/05 is a 2007 UK model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167197

The User Manual may be downloaded here:

http://www.care.philips.com/support/...alue=dvdr3570h

post #6113 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Using info provided by some people here, I created some tables in the SKIP 079 help file that show "In-Service Machine Usage Data" (bottom of that help file).

I'd like to keep those tables updated and new users added. Please post results here and I'll add to the tables.

If you have multiple machines of same model, I'm just interested in the one with the most hrs:min. cuz that's the purpose of the tables, i.e., max. "longevity" to date based on usage... lesser-used units not important.

Check HDD ON hours with SKIP 079... but don't press OK after Self-Check or you'll format the HDD and lose everything.

Check DVD-WR and DVD-RD times with SKIP 321.

OK, here are my stats for your chart:

3575 (Build date April 2007)
HDD Power On: 4162
DVD-WR: 49:45
DVD-RD: 289:51

2160 (Build date May 2008)
HDD Power On: 1265
DVD-WR: 12:10
DVD-RD: 131:54
post #6114 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

OK, here are my stats for your chart:

3575 (Build date April 2007)
HDD Power On: 4162
DVD-WR: 49:45
DVD-RD: 289:51

2160 (Build date May 2008)
HDD Power On: 1265
DVD-WR: 12:10
DVD-RD: 131:54

Thanks... also to DigaDo... both are now in the tables, "highest-mileage" units only... check for accuracy?
post #6115 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Did you answer my question of 7/27 here and maybe I missed it?

Wajo: I've tried everything and still no digital channels on the 2160. My latest test was to remove the (direct from wall) RF cable after analog channel 98 (the last one on my Comcast feed) and re-attaching before the machine began scanning the digital tier. The machine simply stopped at DTV 1 and hung there.

Pressing the DTV/TV button resulted in the tuner going to analog channel 2 and on the second press of the DTV/TV button it went to the black screen with the message "Now Scanning" for DTV 1.1 and hung.

My theory is that since there is no DTV tuner registered in the FW (_ _ _) there is no way for it to tune the QAM channels, so it has to go for service/replacement? I would not like to have it replaced with a 2160A but it still would be better to at least have digital channels cuz I can always finalize on the 3575.
post #6116 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wajo: I've tried everything and still no digital channels on the 2160. My latest test was to remove the (direct from wall) RF cable after analog channel 98 (the last one on my Comcast feed) and re-attaching before the machine began scanning the digital tier. The machine simply stopped at DTV 1 and hung there.

I assume you meant "after the machine began scanning the digital tier...?

If your digital tuner isn't just "bad," the digital scan should have easily skipped 1.1 since there's no signal with the coax off at that point.
post #6117 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:

I assume you meant "after the machine began scanning the digital tier...?

If your digital tuner isn't just "bad," the digital scan should have easily skipped 1.1 since there's no signal with the coax off at that point.

Well, that was embarrassing. Yes, it was after. but the machine never progressed beyond DTV 1. It never moved from there after ~5 minutes so I re-attached the coax and still nada.
post #6118 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 10:08 AM

I assume you meant can't use the procedure.

Edit: Sorry 'bout that, wajo. Looks like I jumped the gun on my reply while your post was being edited so now it doesn't make any sense.
post #6119 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, that was embarrassing. Yes, it was after. but the machine never progressed beyond DTV 1. It never moved from there after ~5 minutes so I re-attached the coax and still nada.

I guess that shows your DTV tuner is either bad or badly connected, cuz if it could find ANY digital channels, DTV-S would show up in your FW versions.

Unfortunately, w/o a successful Auto Channel Preset, you can't even use The Sydyen Procedure to see if you can find Comcast's "deeply mapped" digital channels... the ones this DVDR will skip cuz there's nothing in XX.1 or it's Scrambled.
post #6120 of 25743 Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Daniel, as mentioned to you earlier, very few cable boxes still have an event timer feature. They don't WANT us being able to use their tuners with our own recorders. They want us to rent THEIR recorders from THEM for a monthly fee!

I had thought the Motorola DCH70 Set top box that I was given by Comcast had only a reminder timer that didn't change the channel or turn the STB on or off - but I found its VCR timer by pushing the Guide Button and going to the bottom of the screen - It will automatically turn the STB on and tune it to a specific channel at a specific day and time or daily - Then its just a matter or setting your DVR or VCR to record with line in at the same time. - No mention of this is made in the brief installation manual that comes with the DCH70. The only downside to this other than the hassle of programing two machines is that to record one digital channel while watching another, you would need another STB - but Comcast in my area has been supplying the PACE DTA without charge to its extended basic customers in addition to the Motorola DCH70 -- The PACE DTA doesn't have a timer - but it could be used for watching a channel while the timer in the DCH70 controls recording.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page