Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 214 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 25741 Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here are a few more photos of my original version "refurbished" 2160 of December 2008 manufacture:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 25741 Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this was addressed already but with a thread over 200 pages and no apparent "Search This Thread" option, I hope I can be excused for not trying to find if this is answered already.

Sorry, newbie error. Didn't see the newly unlocked Search This Thread option after I registered. Will try to help myself!

I've been pointed to the H2160 and just wondered whether it has signal pass-through when the unit is turned off, or if it will turn off itself when a timer is due to start. If it has pass-through, does it also pass the S-Video output?

Thank you!
post #6393 of 25741 Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExVee View Post

I apologize if this was addressed already but with a thread over 200 pages and no apparent "Search This Thread" option, I hope I can be excused for not trying to find if this is answered already.

Sorry, newbie error. Didn't see the newly unlocked Search This Thread option after I registered. Will try to help myself!

I've been pointed to the H2160 and just wondered whether it has signal pass-through when the unit is turned off, or if it will turn off itself when a timer is due to start. If it has pass-through, does it also pass the S-Video output?

It'll pass thru the raw coax signal when off or on.
It can be on or off when a timer rec program is due to start.
It doesn't pass thru S-Video when off.

Click #1 in my signature for a list of all the help files and lots more info organized in an easy-to-find-and-use format.
post #6394 of 25741 Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 PM

Well, if I don't need to shut it off to make a timer work, then the pass through doesn't really matter. Thanks very much - I was having a heck of a time trying to find out with the search.

(so can I infer also that it won't pass on the composite/RCA signal while powered off?)
post #6395 of 25741 Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #6396 of 25741 Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Well, if I don't need to shut it off to make a timer work, then the pass through doesn't really matter. Thanks very much - I was having a heck of a time trying to find out with the search.

(so can I infer also that it won't pass on the composite/RCA signal while powered off?)

Sounds like you might be a bit unclear. The RF output is the raw antenna signal. It's never tuned no matter if the DVR is on or off.

--
(this space for rent)
post #6397 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Search this thread I've though this would handy myself but can only find search this forum, how does one search just a thread?
post #6398 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Top of this page on the right!

But where's the 'Thanks' entry that's supposed to be by each post? I've seen 'Thanks' results but not how to give it. Did they do away with it again?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173824
post #6399 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Top of this page on the right!

But where's the 'Thanks' entry that's supposed to be by each post? I've seen 'Thanks' results but not how to give it. Did they do away with it again?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173824

Thanks fallingwater, I was looking outside of the actual threadguess it makes sense to have it within the actual thread you're wanting to search in. Generally once I'm within a thread I immediately scroll down to the most recent posts and just overlooked that feature. It should be handy in the future.
Ya the thanks option was on and off a few times but personally I think it will be off indefinitely. I think it just needed tweaking but there's always a critic
post #6400 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The 2160 is back at J&R, $159!

No indication of "original" or "A."

Cool Just ordered one via phone and CSR said it would be a non A model. He seemed quite familiar with the problems associated with the A model, maybe they're familiar with this thread As I remember from years ago with J&R the CSR was very helpful, not like some of the other NY discounters who only want your CC# and to hang up.
Not sure how long this has been going on, but I got free shipping, the web page also indicated free shipping. I'll let you know for sure of the model number when I get it.

edit: Maybe I should have got 2
post #6401 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Cool Just ordered one via phone and CSR said it would be a non A model. He seemed quite familiar with the problems associated with the A model, maybe they're familiar with this thread As I remember from years ago with J&R the CSR was very helpful, not like some of the other NY discounters who only want your CC# and to hang up.
Not sure how long this has been going on, but I got free shipping, the web page also indicated free shipping. I'll let you know for sure of the model number when I get it.

They started the free shipping immediately after I ordered mine. Oh well...
post #6402 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I seem to remember you post mentioning something like $10 shipping so I was pleasantly surprised when he said free shipping.
BTW for anyone who might know, what's the disadvantage of turning Make Recording Compatible (MRC) ON.? If their is none then why is the default Off Wajo's sticky mentions the benefits of ON but the pessimist in me thinks theirs a catch
post #6403 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes I seem to remember you post mentioning something like $10 shipping so I was pleasantly surprised when he said free shipping.
BTW for anyone who might know, what's the disadvantage of turning Make Recording Compatible (MRC) ON.? If their is none then why is the default Off Wajo's sticky mentions the benefits of ON but the pessimist in me thinks theirs a catch

THIS POST CORRECTED! MIGHT HAVE PREVIOUSLY SUGGESTED MRC OFF AFFECTED THE DISC SO OTHER MACHINES WERE PROHIBITED FROM RECORDING TO IT... WRONG!

MRC OFF on a +VR machine just "prohibits additional recording" on any +VR disc from a DIFFERENT +VR machine, so its NOT a control feature used by the disc creator to prohibit rec on another machine. If any machine has MRC ON, it CAN record to the disc, so the receiving machine controls that disc now and the original disc creator would have to have MRC ON to record again to his own disc.

I didn't mention it cuz I couldn't think of why anyone would want to prohibit recording in the first place, AND it doesn't affect the ability to record to the disc in ANOTHER +VR machine!
post #6404 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess that makes sense, say you borrow a friend a unfinalized DVD (of course he'd need to have a machine that could play it) if you had your recordings set to OFF then you wouldn't need to worry about your titles getting edited. Kind of a stretch but if you only had one DVDR and liked to borrow unfinalized DVD's that might be an advantage to OFF.
For multiple DVDR owners ON seems the way to go.
post #6405 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Using my J&R RH2160, I high speed dubbed 8 LP titles from the hard drive to a TY 8X DVD-R in 22 min 13 sec (timed with a stopwatch).

Editing was very minimal on all 8: one front cut, one mid-cut commercial break, one end cut. Each half hour episode ran 23 minutes. I also erased chapter marks to make only two chapters (at the commercial break). There was plenty of room on the disc, but not enough for 9 episodes. I burned in HQ for ~4.5 minutes to remove the "empty title" at the end.

I suspect the operation ran a few minutes longer than one might expect from wajo's guide due to the large number of titles. Picture quality for this CGI-animated kids show turned out excellent on a 32" CRT and acceptable stretched to 16:9 on my rather picky 50" 1080p HDTV.
post #6406 of 25741 Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, some great info to add to the chart!

See if I got it right?

or, maybe not....
post #6407 of 25741 Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oh great. Now that the 80's aren't available, they've got the 160's back. And promises of non-A units, at that.

The crazed look returns to the eyes...the multiple Maggie and Philips machines already here are ignored...

post #6408 of 25741 Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Jeff, who did you speak to at J & R? I called this morning and spoke with Phil, and he was unaware of the firmware differences between the 2008 version of the 2160 and the 2009 manufacture date 2160A. He asked for a few minutes to "research my question", but he came back with nothing. Nevertheless, Phil said my 2160 refurb is due to be shipped today.

Jeff, please advise CS name if you remember sir!
post #6409 of 25741 Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post

Jeff, who did you speak to at J & R? I called this morning and spoke with Phil, and he was unaware of the firmware differences between the 2008 version of the 2160 and the 2009 manufacture date 2160A. He asked for a few minutes to "research my question", but he came back with nothing. Nevertheless, Phil said my 2160 refurb is due to be shipped today.

Jeff, please advise CS name if you remember sir!

You didn't point Phil to this thread? This is THE SOURCE for research.
post #6410 of 25741 Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

According to my email conformation I spoke with "Terrence at Ext. #1054"
Looks like mine was shipped yesterday and while I'd really prefer to get the non A my father will probably be OK with a A also. He already has a 3575 which in a pinch he could use to finalize his Maggy discs and he's OTA only so the possible QAM problems wouldn't effect him either.
Sounds like I ordered just in time since it sounds like they're now out of stock.
post #6411 of 25741 Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
This is a cross post from the 2160 thread for those few who don't go over there.

I picked up a refurb unit from J&R which arrived today. For the price and free shipping, it was too good to pass up.

Even though the S/N on the box listed it as a non A unit, there was an A unit inside. The S/N was the same on the box and unit. The unit looked new with 43 hrs. on the HDD (FWIW).

I didn't get a chance to test it. If the bug is fixed I'll let you guys know but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I'll probably just keep it anyway. I have so many HDD recorders the bug is not a major problem for me.
post #6412 of 25741 Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM

I'm sure if I read through the rest of the 200+ post I'll find my answer but after reading about 50-75 I got a bit tired. Has anyone tried to install an internal hard drive in the 2160A that is larger then 500gb and thats not Hitachi? Does the FW support anything higher then 500gb? I would like to upgrade to 1tb, 32mb cache, either a Seagate or WD without going external if possible, if not then I'll follow the directions to convert to eSata. Sooner or later I'll get through reading all the post because it is very informative. Thanks for this thread!!! I bought the 2160A due to the 2160 not being available and hopefully one that performs without the bugs

To Wajo: Holy crap man, if you don't already work for manufactures you should!!! Your guides are more informative then any user manuals I've ever read.
post #6413 of 25741 Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Raunch and Auskck have tried larger drives, a 750GB and a 1TB, and both reported the FW limited capacity to 500GB... as described in the "Pioneers" section here.

EXCEPT, no one has tried a larger drive in the "A" version 2160, but odds are very good that it's also FW-limited. Shouldn't hurt to try... if power specs are reasonably close to or under the original Seagate "power-hog" drives w/it's higher idle power than operating power... since the drive should be useable just not to full capacity?

If you chenge out the HDD, I wonder if you'd be able to try an experiment I posted here, which is to try an IDE drive on the 2160A to see if the Disc Edit "bug" in the 2160A could possibly be from the only hdwe change (that we know of) they made from the original 2160?
post #6414 of 25741 Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I added a new subject to Section 1 - General titled "Major Difference between a VCR and a DVDR."

It's designed to give an old VCR user some basic info on the diff. he/she will see if/when moving up to a DVDR.

I recently went back to using a VCR for temp. recording in a separate room and couldn't believe how barbaric it was... even forgot to load the tape for my first recording!

Any suggestions for additional items, w/o getting too technical... this is for long-time VCR people cautiously exploring what's new in the 21st Century?
post #6415 of 25741 Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I recall that my last DVD recorder would stop and display "Signal is copy protected" when I tried to copy my old VHS movie tapes to DVD. I assumed that my Phillips 3575 would do something similar, since the manual talks about how it responds to copy protection. Someone recently loaned me a video stabilizer to let me copy my tapes, but I thought I'd give it a try without the stabilizer first, and I was surprised to find that the 3575 (original firmware) records just fine from either VHS or external DVD player. It doesn't seem to see either CGMS-A or Macrovision copy protection (same VHS and DVD players, same tapes and discs that didn't work with the old recorder). Has anyone had a different experience? If so, have you updated your firmware?
post #6416 of 25741 Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 PM

Finalize automatically??
Well after years of burning almost full DVD+Rs (lacking 2-8 mins) I finally said "why am I doing a separate finalize step when the machine could do it for me?". So I set the two settings for Auto Finalize and neither (apparently) will AF in my circumstance.
One is Finalize when full - what's the definition of full here?

Reading the DOC suggests there is no way to force finalize in my scenario. Any suggestions?

Thanks all. Mike.
post #6417 of 25741 Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I recall that my last DVD recorder would stop and display "Signal is copy protected" when I tried to copy my old VHS movie tapes to DVD. I assumed that my Phillips 3575 would do something similar, since the manual talks about how it responds to copy protection. Someone recently loaned me a video stabilizer to let me copy my tapes, but I thought I'd give it a try without the stabilizer first, and I was surprised to find that the 3575 (original firmware) records just fine from either VHS or external DVD player. It doesn't seem to see either CGMS-A or Macrovision copy protection (same VHS and DVD players, same tapes and discs that didn't work with the old recorder). Has anyone had a different experience? If so, have you updated your firmware?

It depends on the tape. What was the name of the movie you were dubbing?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6418 of 25741 Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post

Finalize automatically??
Well after years of burning almost full DVD+Rs (lacking 2-8 mins) I finally said "why am I doing a separate finalize step when the machine could do it for me?". So I set the two settings for Auto Finalize and neither (apparently) will AF in my circumstance.
One is Finalize when full - what's the definition of full here?

Reading the DOC suggests there is no way to force finalize in my scenario. Any suggestions?

Thanks all. Mike.

I've thought about this too, and have concluded that the usefulness of the "finalize when full" setting is pretty limited. No doubt the machine "knows" how much space it needs to finalize a disc, and when it sees that everything BUT that amount of space is used up, it'll finalize.

Thing is, if it's cutting things that close, you'd either be in danger of it cutting off the end of something you're recording (and if you were timing things that close, you'd end up with a disc that had no space left to finalize with), or you could NEVER get to EXACTLY that spot so that the auto-finalize would cut in.

You'd always be a little short, or you'd be so long you couldn't finalize anyway.

Nope.

I don't think auto finalize really works. It's not pracitcal.
post #6419 of 25741 Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

It depends on the tape. What was the name of the movie you were dubbing?

I tried various VHS tapes and DVDs, including commercial movies and music video collections that I know triggered the copy protection message on the old DVD recorder with the same players. All of them were recordable on the Phillips 3575.
post #6420 of 25741 Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my 2160A today, DOA
It looked like new and was shipped in a brown 2160 refurbished box covered by a very thick plastic covering that IMO would have floated if dropped in water
It included all accessories (cables, remote, manual, batteries, etc.) I see no way one could tell from the outside of the box if it was a A or non A so it seems like Terrence at J&R was just shinning me on
Upon plugging in I immediately noticed the DVD drive door open and the tray came out 1/2" and stopped, I knew this wasn't a good sign
Setup went fine although I have one odd thing to note. In my market channel 2 consists of 2.1-2.4 with 2.1 and 2.2 being on physical channel 34 and 2.3 and 2.4 being on physical channel 16. All my other tuners handle this channel just fine, that is when scanning from the bottom they start of 2.1 then go to 2.2 followed by 2.3 and finally 2.4, the 2160a started on 2.3 then went to 2.4 followed by 2.1 and finally 2.2, not a big deal just different, somehow the 2160a isn't reading the PSIP correctly. I also forgot on Funai DVDRs one is not allowed to delete specific sub channels, only the whole group of channels within a number. In my market I have several channels that simulcast SD on the .2 channel with the .1 being the HD version. On my other tuners I immediately remove the .2 channels from my scan list so I don't have to see them.
I tried manually moving the DVD drive in and out but could not get it to catch even with a disc in the tray, because of this I cannot report if the finalizing bug is present or not. I'll call J&R tomorrow to see about a replacement, I sure hope they pay my return shipping and won't be too happy if they don't. This was definitely DOA and I can't see how it ever made it past the refurbishment process
I tried holding down the V.Skip button followed by the 1 2 and 3 but could not get any diagnostics to show up, I'll play more tomorrow.
Initial tuner PQ impressions are quite good, to me SD channels look best set to 480p while HD channels look better in either 720p, 1080i or 1080p. I'm not seeing the black crush problem I noticed with the 3575 I had for a while, I'm testing via HDMI.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page