Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 230 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6871 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by logbiter View Post

The unit worked when I plugger her back in. I guess it needed to sit for more than a couple o' minutes for the capacitor(s) to clear. Thanks again Wajo!

Yes, it's got a Flash memory module and a DDR 2 SDRAM chip which prob. store all or much of the unit's volatile/custom info.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

artwire,

If your goal is JUST to archive the important videos, how about daisy chain your 2 DVDRs, record to HDD and DVD at the same time? When you're done, you'll have the DVD copy and the HDD copy.

Well, who knows what's worth saving til you see it? That's my only complaint about DVD -RAM recordings. You get the "good stuff' on RAM and then you still have to dupe it to save it. I suppose RW might be worth looking into on that score... it's not that much more expensive than regular discs and it would give you a save or toss option. I just bought some but havent tried those yet.

The reason I started down this HDD road (I had no idea what I was missing!) was that I was drowning in timeshifted recordings that I either never found the time to watch, or watched once -wanted to keep - but never watched again. I've been cramming a week's worth of nightly broadcasts onto one DVD in low but useable quality (better than Youtube, anyway) ... Now, totally spoiled and addicted to the HDDs - picture quality is much higher and it's becoming pretty obvious that I'm going to have to start burning some of this content off or put in a bigger drive ...

I do have them daisy-chained, mostly so I can dupe stuff on DVD or RAM disc back to the HD for review and editing .... It hadn't occurred to me to record a program to both HD and DVD simultaneously - wonder if that'd get too hot (they're stacked) . If I KNOW something is coming up that I want in multiple formats, I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the idea!

As for HDD ... the only quibble, so far, is I'm using the HDDs a lot more than I expected to, and probably wont end up watching half the stuff (cough - National Parks series? ) that I painstakingly recorded. The convenience and high quality are worth it just for time shifting alone -- but now that I see how cool it is, I want to do more with my new toys! And of course I want more storage options! Probably should wait awhile before upgrading the hard drives (since both the new one and the refurb are still under warranty) which is why an EXTERNAL drive solution is so tempting. Going to go back and re- read about that HDD array that someone showed -- at first it seemed like overkill for my purposes, but the ability to swap hard drives in and out looks pretty tempting now. Kind of like a Drobo for TV ? Hmmm...

Another thing I want to look at is using a slightly lower quality setting for recording expendable programs that I want to see but dont need to keep. I've been using SP because of the quality/speed/storage tradeoffs -- I honestly dont think I'm losing much by not recording HQ. I think I remember reading that the next lower one (sorry - not near the machine now to check) dubs much MUCH faster, like 24x ? Is that right. Will go back and refresh my memory and then post if I get lost, but for some expendable content - that might be a way to speed things up, too. I dont necessarily need a fancy high quality copy, just something in an alternate format to share or use on a different machine.

Had no idea this would be so much fun - really do appreciate all the good ideas and advice I've gotten here!
post #6873 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to post that I'm canceling out my cable/internet for the duration of unemployment to concentrate on the necessities of life. Will check in when I can from the library computer. Off to OTA I go!
post #6874 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I do have them daisy-chained, mostly so I can dupe stuff on DVD or RAM disc back to the HD for review and editing .... It hadn't occurred to me to record a program to both HD and DVD simultaneously - wonder if that'd get too hot (they're stacked).

These DVDRs don't get hot at all. I've done many long tests, and FullOnShred recently recorded for 34 straight hours, back to back shows, w/o a heat problem of any kind.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #6875 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simctd View Post

I bought this unit 15 months ago. I have not used it much. When I turned it on after not using it for about two moths everything on screen was tinted blue. I have changed cables, changed inputs and unplugged and replugged the unit but nothing seemed to help. And of course it is not out of warranty. This unit was connected to both antenna and sat. After this blue tint showed up one of the things I did was disconnect the sat. I tried the channel rescan and a factory reset. And reset all video settings. None of these have fixed the problem. Anybody have any suggestions what the problem may be and it it worth getting fixed or should I trash it and buy something new?

In the ZV450 thread my advice was to check settings in the setup menus, verify connections and run a new antenna channel scan. I also provided the procedure for enabling the S-Video input(s) in the event that the S-Video input is used as the satellite connection.

Might others provide more helpful advice?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6876 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM

[quote=ti-triodes;17309787]Good tip, n00b!

These things are harder to find than snow in Texas! Both the 3575 and 3756 are in stock with free shipping and no tax. Not as good as the recent J&R sales, but a good price if you want a unit you can use next to a Maggie. Low stock on the 3576.

Dont forget to use 10% coupon code 142933 exp 12/31/09 + Bing cashback. They may not be combined but if you contact Bing they can do it.

Going back to my original issue - Hang by thread solution fixed the issue. No breaking/tiling of video/audio when i edged the cable to the end of coax input.
so i will be adding another splitter or attenuator to bring down the signal.
post #6877 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Well, who knows what's worth saving til you see it? That's my only complaint about DVD -RAM recordings. You get the "good stuff' on RAM and then you still have to dupe it to save it. I suppose RW might be worth looking into on that score... it's not that much more expensive than regular discs and it would give you a save or toss option. I just bought some but havent tried those yet.

The reason I started down this HDD road (I had no idea what I was missing!) was that I was drowning in timeshifted recordings that I either never found the time to watch, or watched once -wanted to keep - but never watched again. I've been cramming a week's worth of nightly broadcasts onto one DVD in low but useable quality (better than Youtube, anyway) ... Now, totally spoiled and addicted to the HDDs - picture quality is much higher and it's becoming pretty obvious that I'm going to have to start burning some of this content off or put in a bigger drive ...

I do have them daisy-chained, mostly so I can dupe stuff on DVD or RAM disc back to the HD for review and editing .... It hadn't occurred to me to record a program to both HD and DVD simultaneously - wonder if that'd get too hot (they're stacked) . If I KNOW something is coming up that I want in multiple formats, I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the idea!

As for HDD ... the only quibble, so far, is I'm using the HDDs a lot more than I expected to, and probably wont end up watching half the stuff (cough - National Parks series? ) that I painstakingly recorded. The convenience and high quality are worth it just for time shifting alone -- but now that I see how cool it is, I want to do more with my new toys! And of course I want more storage options! Probably should wait awhile before upgrading the hard drives (since both the new one and the refurb are still under warranty) which is why an EXTERNAL drive solution is so tempting. Going to go back and re- read about that HDD array that someone showed -- at first it seemed like overkill for my purposes, but the ability to swap hard drives in and out looks pretty tempting now. Kind of like a Drobo for TV ? Hmmm...

Another thing I want to look at is using a slightly lower quality setting for recording expendable programs that I want to see but dont need to keep. I've been using SP because of the quality/speed/storage tradeoffs -- I honestly dont think I'm losing much by not recording HQ. I think I remember reading that the next lower one (sorry - not near the machine now to check) dubs much MUCH faster, like 24x ? Is that right. Will go back and refresh my memory and then post if I get lost, but for some expendable content - that might be a way to speed things up, too. I dont necessarily need a fancy high quality copy, just something in an alternate format to share or use on a different machine.

Had no idea this would be so much fun - really do appreciate all the good ideas and advice I've gotten here!

Just a word of warning, don't archive to RW discs. The become unreadable after a few years in my experience.
post #6878 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 03:35 PM

I thank you for the answers to #2 & #3, though I really expected answers to #1 and #4 first and haven't heard so I'm repeating here:

1) I have a 2160A with the E19 problem. Can one format disks on the 3576h and then use them on the 2160A, so as to not have to erase/re-enter timer info?

4) I have started recording to the HDD 160GB, but wish to upgrade to a 500GB SATA.
Can one remove the 160GB, clone the information (HOW, IS the question) to the 500GB, and then install the 500GB in the 2160A?

Thanks in advance,

relentlesscactus
post #6879 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

Just a word of warning, don't archive to RW discs. The become unreadable after a few years in my experience.

Correct. I would guess months though, not years.
Even Plus or Dash R discs should be checked at least annually, as the dye can go bad over time.
post #6880 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlesscactus View Post

I thank you for the answers to #2 & #3, though I really expected answers to #1 and #4 first and haven't heard so I'm repeating here:

1) I have a 2160A with the E19 problem. Can one format disks on the 3576h and then use them on the 2160A, so as to not have to erase/re-enter timer info?

As noted in this help file, RW discs can be Formatted in one machine, then taken to the other machine and recorded or dubbed to, which changes the menu structure to that 2nd machine's.

I did have a problem with this one time, but I couldn't repeat that experience, as noted in that help file.

The preferred method is to use Disc Edit > Erase Disc, but that's where the 2160A has a problem if timer rec programs are set. Since +RW discs don't need Finalizing, some people Format a batch of +RW discs w/o timer programs set so they can use them for offloading titles or watching in another room.

Quote:

4) I have started recording to the HDD 160GB, but wish to upgrade to a 500GB SATA.
Can one remove the 160GB, clone the information (HOW, IS the question) to the 500GB, and then install the 500GB in the 2160A?

I don't know of anyone who's been able to do this, or even be able to read the files on this DVDR's HDD in their PC.

post #6881 of 26077 Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

It looks like one auction is just the internal laser pickup and drawer assembly, the other has the full drive package with the metal shields and everything just like you can pull out of the machine as a unit.
I think if you buy the cheaper one you'd have to reuse the shields and outer drives plastic casing from your old one.
I bought a projector lamp assembly for my moms Sony projection LCD set and there was a option for just the lamp itself or the whole lamp and housing assembly. Usually buying just the lamp part is cheaper but then you have to tear down the old housing and install the new lamp, them slide that back into place.

Dartman - thanks for the great info - was not sure myself - was thinking about investing but thought again about it - seems like catching another refurb for roughly $100 more might not be bad either
post #6882 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Correct. I would guess months though, not years.
Even Plus or Dash R discs should be checked at least annually, as the dye can go bad over time.

thanks for the warnings, DangerDoc and Chuck44, I can see now that the RW is only an interim solution. I like using DVD-RAM for that, and since I'm stringing panasonic recorders off both of my 2160s, I think RAM will be ok for most " see it here or there" activity but the high speed dubbing on the 2160 makes it a tempting alternative. RW seems like a handy way to move stuff to the computer , as well, but I haven't tried that yet to see if compatible with the drives in my macs. I understand the 2160 seems to prefer + media, and the mac seems to like - but can use +, so we shall see. For the moment, I am just enjoying the convenience of HDD -- though I can see why a larger drive would be worth upgrading. Then again, that's how we get into mass 'storage problems' -- the larger the drive, the longer we wait to offload or back up ... so maybe this will trigger some discipline . Nah ... who am I trying to kid... I'm lucky if I label the discs!
post #6883 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM

Turns out my housemate is a computer science major already hired out with a job at a major brain employer summers and upon graduation, and quite a genius at hacking into systems. I described the issue of acquiring files from the hard drives, and he thinks he can access the video files, like no problem. The only thing is I don't want to dig into my 2160A until the warranty expires. Then it occurred to me some of you who upgraded to 500GB drives must have a dead 160GB sitting around with files on it. I wondered if anyone would be willing to send me their 160GB drive and see if my housemate can hack into the file system? I'll return it, and no this isn't a way for me to get a free 160GB drive, which is pretty silly considering the price of hard drives nowadays. If interested, post and we'll talk off-forum about how and where to send it. Contribute your dead hard drive to science!

--relentlesscactus
post #6884 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

turns out my housemate is a computer science major already hired out with a job at a major brain employer summers and upon graduation, and quite a genius at hacking into systems. I described the issue of acquiring files from the hard drives, and he thinks he can access the video files, like no problem. The only thing is i don't want to dig into my 2160a until the warranty expires. Then it occurred to me some of you who upgraded to 500gb drives must have a dead 160gb sitting around with files on it. I wondered if anyone would be willing to send me their 160gb drive and see if my housemate can hack into the file system? I'll return it, and no this isn't a way for me to get a free 160gb drive, which is pretty silly considering the price of hard drives nowadays. If interested, post and we'll talk off-forum about how and where to send it. Contribute your dead hard drive to science!

--relentlesscactus

Please ask him to look into the 2160A's finalization problem!!!
post #6885 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Nice try, but firmware ain't the same animal.
post #6886 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

These DVDRs don't get hot at all. I've done many long tests, and FullOnShred recently recorded for 34 straight hours, back to back shows, w/o a heat problem of any kind.

good to know! I was actually more concerned about the 2160 getting too hot from being close to the other recorder - it's sandwiched between a standard Panny dvd recorder and a moto STB that has to be on top because of the location of the airholes. There's plenty of side room and they're not locked in cabinet, so there's air flow, but I wasn't sure having that many things on at once would be a good idea. I'll give it a (short) whirl and see if anything starts smokin
post #6887 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

good to know! I was actually more concerned about the 2160 getting too hot from being close to the other recorder - it's sandwiched between a standard Panny dvd recorder and a moto STB that has to be on top because of the location of the airholes. There's plenty of side room and they're not locked in cabinet, so there's air flow, but I wasn't sure having that many things on at once would be a good idea. I'll give it a (short) whirl and see if anything starts smokin

Motorola converter boxes run very hot so keep your Panasonic and Magnavox recorders well away from them!

The first photo shows the entry level Motorola DCT700 converter box in my bedroom. With the heat this little box gives off it's still too close to my recorders. Notice that there are cardboard spacers between the recorders. If I had something suitable I would be increasing the spacing between the recorders.

The second photo shows a better arrangement for the Motorola DCH3200 converter box in the living room.

Keep Motorola converter boxes isolated from other equipment!
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6888 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 3200 (as in your second photo) but without that nifty comcast logo....
It isn't running that hot, feels slightly warm to the touch when running constantly, and it has feet to elevate it slightly and air holes at the top. I think you're right - I'm going to move it to a shelf above the other boxes to further isolate it. I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong, but had that nagging feeling. Thanks for the warning!

Looked around for a temp solution -- do you think an inch and a half thick molded styrofoam 'tray' approx the same size as the recorder would be okay as a spacer? It has a pattern of large half dollar size airholes across the flat surface -- it was the lining of my laptop box and it's pretty sturdy, but not too heavy, which I think probably is a good thing. I just slid it in between the top of the 2160 and the bottom of the moto box -- I will probably move the STB to another shelf, but will need to do some serious cable rearranging first. Can you think of any reason (other than aesthetics!) that this might be a bad idea for a heat spacer (like -- will it melt ?) ) Guess if it does, it really WAS too hot to leave next to the recorder! Option B was a silicon mat to keep things 'cool' ... or I will need some other devious plan to lift and separate.
post #6889 of 26077 Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:

I have the 3200 (as in your second photo) but without that nifty comcast logo....
It isn't running that hot, feels slightly warm to the touch when running constantly, and it has feet to elevate it slightly and air holes at the top. I think you're right - I'm going to move it to a shelf above the other boxes to further isolate it. I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong, but had that nagging feeling. Thanks for the warning!

Looked around for a temp solution -- do you think an inch and a half thick molded styrofoam 'tray' approx the same size as the recorder would be okay as a spacer? It has a pattern of large airholes -- it was the lining of my laptop box and it's pretty sturdy, but not too heavy, which I think probably is good. I just slid it in between the top of the 2160 and the bottom of the moto box -- I will probably move the moto STB to another shelf, but will need to do some serious rearranging first. Can you think of any reason (other than aesthetics!) that this might be a bad idea for a spacer (like -- will it melt ?) ) Guess if it does, it really WAS too hot to leave next to the recorder! Option B was a silicon spacer or I will need some other devious plan to lift and separate.

Seems like it should be ok with proper spacing - if it is too close just remember styrofoam coolers not only keep beer cold - but also transport hot foods well keeping them hot...
post #6890 of 26077 Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM

Hi guys,
I've logged in with my laptop from a Best Western in Vermont equipped with Wi-Fi to test access to my 3575 via Slingbox. It worked quite well! I was able to watch my recording of Fringe that was on FOX last night at 9:00 PM after we checked in at 11:30.

Very cool indeed. I knew that it worked elsewhere in the home but this is the first time I tested remote access.
post #6891 of 26077 Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Stump! Glad you're connected

As for the styrofoam, I looked it up and discovered "Extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) has air inclusions which gives it moderate flexibility, a low density, and a low thermal conductivity." And, it can be painted with waterbased pigments. So if I get really ambitious and need a crafts project **(yeah, right), I suppose I could paint it black, as Mick Jagger would say, and ... have an unobtrusive layer of thermal insulation between the units that (if you squint) looks like a skinny dvd player in the AV stack. Seems to be working to protect the top of the maggy ... maybe I dont have to reorganize the shelves after all. I checked underneath and that's where the STB was warming up considerably, although the top was fairly cool --nothing like frying your HDD, eh? Thanks for the heads up. Anyway, thought I'd pass it on as a possible way to isolate the equipment without spacers on the four corners. Most of my newer equipment only came with tiny chunks of styrofoam at the corners (seems a flimsy way to ship) but the macbook pro came with a beautiful panel of molded styrofoam enclosure that sandwiched the computer - almost a perfect fit for the comcast box (which is much deeper than the Maggy). Might as well recycle it...

The other thing hanging around that I thought might work is the laptop cooler pad which is flat and fairly sturdy, though lightweight, and has a raised x pattern to lift the four sides and allow air through and cool the underside. Just trying to think creatively and not enlarge the 'footprint' of the stack or increase the weight -- I assume piling things that are too heavy on a piece of equipment with a drawer (like a DVD player) might warp it or throw it out of alignment. So, thinking aloud, I guess a separate shelf would be best....

Just a final thought - checked the other 2160 which is *not* hooked to an STB and it was much warmer - I had it stacked above a panny dvd recorder which was quite hot, and when I took out the DVD that I had been watching, the disc itself was hot to the touch. Something might be 'going wrong' but maybe it's been like that all along and I just didnt notice. I'm definitely going to have to rearrange the units (2 dvd recorders and 2160) in that stack too.

Might be worth checking your set ups to see if any of them have a similar heat issue.
post #6892 of 26077 Old 10-10-2009, 01:44 PM

I have been wondering how people deal with control of multiple units (like 2 stacked 2160's) with their remotes. Recently I purchased a Mag DP170mw8b just to have a dvd player that I could use with my Video Filter to my 2160. Just so happens that both Mag remote controls will operate both machines. Little bit of a pain when you only want one machine to operate certain functions. Power On/Off, Open/Close, Play, etc. etc. How are other members dealing with this issue?
Have not received the VF yet but am curious what the best hook-up would be. Web site shows three options. Componet(Pb/Pr/y), composite(unsure what this is), s-video + (RCA audio r/w or Pb/Pr)? or combination either side of VF. Does one give better resolution than another or does it matter? The DP170 has componet out , r/w/y out, and s-video out.
post #6893 of 26077 Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Personally I'd think about a different brand DVD player to eliminate one conflict. You can get decent players for <$40. AFA your two 2160a's you might want to try making something to cover the IR sensor of the recorder you aren't using. Personally it would have been best for you to get a Philips 3575/6 for your 2nd recorder, which is basically the same as your Maggy but uses different IR codes. That's water under the damn now, your only choice is to somehow block the IR receiver.
AFA your VF, I'd use S-video plus L&R audio. I've always got better PQ using S-video vs composite. Since your DVDRs don't have component that option is not available for you.
post #6894 of 26077 Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM

My comment concerning the two 2160s was pointed at members that have two 2160s stacked or daisey chained together to eleminate a recording step. Thery must have the same problem that I have. BTW the Mag DP1708b was only $37.88 at Walfart. And yes I already have tried the eyepatch, just thought someone onboard might have a better idea.Thanks for the comeback
post #6895 of 26077 Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Liked: 19
I have 3 2160's in the same stack and cover the IR receiver on the units that are not in use. Because I have limited composite inputs on my old CRT TV I also have to use a switch box to control which 2160 is hooked through. When I am at the TV to flip the switch I also change the IR cover. Not an elegant solution but it works for me.
post #6896 of 26077 Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 AM

HELP - GOING CRAZY trying to find missing channel. I have every digital channel turned on using all or nothing procedure and cannot find WUSA HD (Channel 9.1 in Comcast DC area). When I use channel up it goes from 9.32 (SDT) to 9.1 after going to 10.. first. The frequency indicates it shoud be somewhere in 108 subchannel land. Manually trying them all I cannot find. This is a problem becuase when using the timer for 9.1 I record just a blue screen. I notice when I go to 108.1 it immediately changes to 4.1, 108.2 goes to 4.2 and 108.3 goes to 4.3. Every one after that goes to 4.1. CBS HD is the only one lost to my timer.
post #6897 of 26077 Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzsj123 View Post

HELP - GOING CRAZY trying to find missing channel. I have every digital channel turned on using all or nothing procedure and cannot find WUSA HD (Channel 9.1 in Comcast DC area). When I use channel up it goes from 9.32 (SDT) to 9.1 after going to 10.. first. The frequency indicates it shoud be somewhere in 108 subchannel land. Manually trying them all I cannot find. This is a problem becuase when using the timer for 9.1 I record just a blue screen. I notice when I go to 108.1 it immediately changes to 4.1, 108.2 goes to 4.2 and 108.3 goes to 4.3. Every one after that goes to 4.1. CBS HD is the only one lost to my timer.

There might be something in the PSIP data that's causing your dilemma? Even so, some things I can think of:

1. Make sure you've got ALL 135 digital channels on Add. If you don't skip any with CH+/-, then you're assured that all channel slots are "available."

2. You can do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) to "clean up" the channel lineup, which *MIGHT* create a channel memory that acts differently (better)? It might also cause you to lose a channel or more cuz you might close a slot that the tuner is redirecting to? Not sure how that'll work in practice... interesting test?

3. Someone else might come up with additional ideas?

post #6898 of 26077 Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15522422
May or may not be of any help.
I'm also inclined to thing it's a PSIP problem. The description of going to one channel but then flipping back to another sounds similar to the problem in my OTA market. It was suggested to schedule in the real channel number and not the virtual number. That works great in my market, not sure if you'd know the real channel for QAM, or maybe the 108.1 is the real channel number and the virtual number is what you'd get with a official Comcast box(or CC)
When you schedule an event are you using 4.1 or 108.1? I'd try both, if one isn't listed in your scan list you'd have to manually enter it in your program screen (not use ch up or ch down), that works in my market anyway.
post #6899 of 26077 Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HDTV DVR Comparison - What They Won't Tell You!

Table I: Features for the Family

Table II: Features for the Gearhead

If you're OK with std def (SD, 480i) recording and constant, amplified high def (HD, 720/1080) coax passthru to your STB or TV, and you want a simple, family-friendly, reliable, no-fee, computerless, all-in-one unit that you own outright, a Magnavox DVD recorder (DVDR) with hard disk drive (HDD) might be what you're looking for.

They're the ONLY recorders, SD or HD, available in North America with NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners for antenna or cable, easily replaceable DVD burner, replaceable/upgradeable/portable hard disk drive (HDD), amplified coax input and HD passthru, amplified line inputs, 36 timer-rec programs, 6-hour autorecord buffer, pause/rewind/save up to 6-hours of live TV, chase play, simultaneous play/record, skip/replay, widescreen (16:9) recording, integrated TV/DVDR control via HDMI CEC-link, editing to create your masterpiece, and lots more.

The only other personal, standalone HDD recorders you can buy and call your own are HD DVRs like TiVo, Moxi, Pal/CM DVR, TViX, PHD-VRX and a few others. However, there are many things you might not learn from HD DVR fans, e.g., by themselves, they:

1. Can only record to HDD.
  2. Can only play HDD recordings.
  3. Can't play a DVD.
  4. Can't burn a DVD.
  5. Can't do any editing.
  6. Can't customize the rec mode/bit-rate to maximize HDD and DVD capacity.
  7. Can't record from cable or satellite STBs... no line inputs!
  8. Can't copy recordings from cable or satellite DVRs... no line inputs!
  9. Can't copy home movies, pics, music, etc. from ext. sources like VCRs, cameras, camcorders, CD/DVD players... no line inputs!
  10. Can't recognize and record to an unlimited number of external HDDs that are interchangeable, portable, and custom-recordable with content of your choosing. TiVo automatically splits every recorded title w/part on internal drive and part on external drive (called "striping"). If the external fails or is removed, like for a swap-out, you'll lose ALL of your recordings (Wiki - TiVo). Moxi automatically fills up drives sequentially (internal>external) and doesn't let you swap drives around. With either HDTV DVR, YOU don't control what goes where, THEY do! You're in complete control with the Mag HDD/DVD recorder.
  11. Only the Mag DVDR¹ and TiVo² Premiere 2-tuner model have the tuners to record from OTA antenna or analog/digital cable. See Note 2 in Table Legend below and charts for TiVo models and restrictions.

Those and many other differences in capabilities important to a timeshifter/archivist, and even some gearheads, are compared in the tables below!

Table I Legend:
1Mag DVDR = Magnavox MDR537, MDR535, MDR533, MDR515, MDR513, H2160A, H2160.
2TiVo DVR = Roamio: Base model (4-tuners) for antenna or digital cable, not combined, one or the other, Plus/Pro (6 tuners) for digital cable only. No analog cable, no Uverse, no satellite (no inputs). Premiere (2-tuners): for antenna, analog/digital cable and FIOS. No U-verse, no satellite (no inputs). Premiere 4 / XL4 (4 tuners): for digital cable and FIOS. No antenna, no analog cable, no U-verse, no satellite (no inputs). All TiVos: TiVo subscription for all and multi-stream CableCARD rental for digital cable.
3Pal/CM DVR = DTVPal DVR, Channel Master CM-7000, 7400, 7500, and possibly other names.
WoH = Without Help like CableCARD rental, computer network, special SW, sep. tuner or recorder, new "TV language," etc.

Table I: Features for the Family      Return to top.

Recording standard (Std Def or High Def)

SD
HD
HD
HD

Analog and digital tuners for antenna or cable (NTSC/ATSC/QAM)

X

Tune antenna channels

X

X

Tune unscrambled analog cable channels (Clear-QAM) - WoH

X

Tune unscrambled digital cable channels (Clear-QAM) - WoH

X
X
CM-7400 only

Tune scrambled cable channels - WoH

Tune scrambled cable channels w/CableCARD + monthly rental fee

X

Tune encrypted satellite channels (DirecTV and Dish) with recorder's own tuners

Usable in Canada

X

Record and play

X
X
X
X

Record and play + copy + edit + archive with a single, easy-to-use machine

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive w/o computerizing your TV system or building a "home network"

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive w/o having to introduce your non-gearhead family to "Acronym City," a new TV language with "words" like RAID, EPG, GUI, PoE, DLNA, VOB, MoCA, IP, cat5, 802.11n, quad-core, multistream, ethernet, virus, Kapersky, remuxing, push-pull, rip, dongle, Twonky and many others like these, these and these. If you tell your family you want to start using "RAID" in their TV system and they ask where the bugs are, they're not ready for a TiVo!

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive with a single machine that a non-gearhead family can operate and enjoy together, in same room, on same couch, with NO engrg or computer expertise... and they can do it without YOU!

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive w/o any "extra" ADVERTISEMENTS (TiVo1 - TiVo2 - TiVo3 - Moxi). Even more to come since TiVo is now being touted as a "DVR advertising platform" (BusinessWeek.com, 3/4/10). In 2011, TiVo started touting itself as a medium for advertising.

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive w/o Google or others "data-mining" your viewing habits (TiVo1 - TiVo2 - TiVo3). According to this article, "TiVo measures DVR viewing habits with second-by-second data." And THEY'RE SERIOUS about collectiung and using your data! They'll say you can "opt out"... sure, like they'll ignore you and 1000's of others just cuz y'all say please. They'll say it's all "anonymous" so they won't know it's YOU... right, they'd have to have your recorder serial n... oh, wait....!

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive WITHOUT unrequested firmware/software (FW/SW) downloads that can break your machine in various ways: mess with your personal equipment (Moxi), delete your recorded shows (Moxi - Pal/CM DVR1 - Pal/CM DVR2), or mess with your clock and scheduled recordings that rely on it (Pal/CM DVR).

X

Set clock ONLY with outside SW/subscription fee, otherwise clock will drift and never allow simple timer recording) w/o mathematics involved... not good for liberal arts majors.

X
X

Set clock manually or automatically WITHOUT SW/subscription fee

X

X

Set your own manual timers for reliable unattended recording WITHOUT the outside support TiVo and Moxi must have to keep them from becoming expensive bricks, or the Pal/CM DVR's faulty TVGOS-driven clock or the flakey TVGOS system itself.

X

X

Set timers for or direct enter and view channels NOT in CH+/- button memory, i.e., ones you've "locked out" (in HD DVR terms) for one reason or another.

X

Reliably timer record non-stop back-to-back (BTB) programs on alternating analog/digital cable or antenna channels while losing only 3-6 sec between shows - WoH and w/o software that requires an addt'l service fee and/or constant or intermittent internet/tel. connection to the recorder (34-hour BTB here)

X

Record in 6 different user-settable quality settings to maximize HDD space and DVD fit

X

Record up to 1240 SD hours on MDR537 with OEM internal HDD or replace it with multiple, interchangeable, external 2.5"/3.5" HDDs for unlimited SD hours with docking station for "dock-and-play", making HDDs portable between externally configured recorders

X

Record one channel while simultaneously playing an HDD title, a home-made DVD, or a commercial DVD - WoH

X

Record one channel while watching another channel with TV's tuner, no extra cabling, splitters, etc.

X

Watch TV thru recorder's amplified coax passthru w/recorder on or off, no extra cabling, splitters, etc.

X

Record from antenna to hard disk drive (HDD)

X
X

X

Record from antenna to DVD - WoH

X

Record channels in different directions with a rotating antenna

X
X

X

Record analog cable to HDD - WoH

X
X

Record analog cable to DVD - WoH

X

Record unscrambled digital cable to HDD

X
X
X

Record unscrambled digital cable to DVD - WoH

X

Record full 16:9 widescreen aspect from its tuner

X
X
X
X

Record full 16:9 widescreen aspect from its line inputs

X

View and record digital closed captions (CC)... analog CC are always recorded if present in broadcast, just need turning them on in TV settings for viewing

X
X
X
X

Pause manual recording, change channels, rec other channel or return to original, continue rec (no chapter mark set)

X

Record from cable STB to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Record from satellite STB to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy recorded shows from cable DVR to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy recorded shows from Sat DVR to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy recorded shows from TiVo, Moxi or Pal/CM DVR to HDD or DVD

X

Copy VHS home movies to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy camcorder tapes to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy DV camera tapes to HDD or DVD (via analog or Firewire IEEE 1394) - WoH

X

Copy HDD camera video to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy JPEG still pics to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy music to HDD or DVD - WoH

X

Copy many VHS commercial movies from player to HDD or DVD - No "Filter" Reqd

X

Copy all protected VHS/DVD commercial movies from player to HDD or DVD - With "Filter"

X

Dub copied stuff above from HDD > DVD or DVD > HDD - WoH

X

Auto-chapter in 6 user-settable increments from 5 min. to 60 min. (or OFF)

X

PAUSE LIVE TV and buffer up to 6 hours

X

Continue buffering while watching recorded HDD title or DVD - WoH

X

Preserve 6-hour live TV buffer thru channel changes

X

Play back 6-hour live TV buffer and save all or portion to HDD, where you can edit it and copy it to DVD, if desried - WoH

X

Play recorded or copied video, music or still pics from HDD or DVD while simultaneously recording - WoH

X

Chase play a recording in progress

X
X
X
X

Remember last play position in ALL HDD titles and resume playback anytime

X
X
X
X

Remember last play position in ALL DVD titles and resume playback if not ejected

X

Fast fwd and rew @ at least 2X, 20X, 40X

X
X
X
X

Frame advance fwd and rev

X
X
X
X

Slow fwd and rev play @ 1/4X-1/16X

X
X
X
X

Slow or rapid play w/audio @ 0.8X or 1.3X

X

Zoom during playback @ 1.0/1.2/1.5/2.0X

X

Skip fwd/back immediately to chapter marks (which can be auto-set in 6 increments from 5-60 min. or manually added/deleted in edit)

X

SKIP fwd (e.g., commercials) in 6 user-settable time increments from 5 sec to 5 min. (separate setting from back)

X

X

SKIP back (e.g., commercials) in 6 user-settable time increments from 5 sec to 5 min. (separate setting from fwd)

X

X

Mark up to 6 points in titles you can return to later

X

Search by time, title, chapter, track, file on HDD, DVD or CD -WoH

X

Play music and video from CD/VCD - WoH

X

Play MP3 from CD/VCD/DVD/HDD - WoH

X

Random play MP3 on CD/DVD and MP3/WMA/JPEG on CD/VCD - WoH

X

Program play up to 50 tracks on CD - WoH

X

Repeat play titles, chapters, tracks, files on CD/DVD/HDD - WoH

X

Play JPEG slideshows from CD/DVD/HDD - WoH

X

Delete recorded programs manually

X
X
X

Delete commercials in recorded titles - WoH

X

Delete unwanted sections of recordings so you end up with only the scenes you're interested in, e.g. your kid in the Olympics or on American Idol, rather than the whole freakin' event - WoH

X

Keep retained portion(s) of edited video on HDD or offload to DVDs for later viewing, archiving, etc. - WoH

X

Delete or add chapter marks - WoH

X

Hide chapters - WoH

X

Divide titles - WoH

X

Customize title names after recording (all units) - WoH

X

Pre-title timer rec programs with 515 or with 2160A and 513 with SuperFW 727V User Update - WoH

X

Change index pic on DVDs - WoH

X

Name DVDs - WoH

X

Make no-loss "mirror-image" DVD copies of ALL HDD video/music/pic titles - WoH

X

Coax passthru of SD or full HD signal to STB/TV with recorder on or off

X

Amplify incoming SD or full HD signal from coax to STB/TV with recorder on or off

X

Downrez incoming HD signal to SD thru tuner and line inputs

X

Amplify incoming SD or downrezzed HD signal thru tuner and line inputs

X

Upconvert SD or downrezzed HD signal from tuner or line inputs to 720p/1080i/p via HDMI

X

Get ongoing FW updates and repair in the U.S. (Mag's HDD, burner and fan are proven DIY replaceable)

X
X

4Per FAQ #11, "not meant for use in Canada." Manual timers only w/o CableCARD, and virtually no CableCARDs in Canada. Tivo "useless" for cable w/o a CableCARD.
5TVGOS system (data feed) is being or has been discontinued. No TVGOS anywhere after April 2013. Manual timers only then.

Table II Legend:

1Mag DVDR = Magnavox MDR537, MDR535, MDR533, MDR515, MDR513, H2160A, H2160.
2TiVo DVR = Roamio: Base model (4-tuners) for antenna or digital cable, not combined, one or the other, Plus/Pro (6 tuners) for digital cable only. No analog cable, no Uverse, no satellite (no inputs). Premiere (2-tuners): for antenna, analog/digital cable and FIOS. No U-verse, no satellite (no inputs). Premiere 4 / XL4 (4 tuners): for digital cable and FIOS. No antenna, no analog cable, no U-verse, no satellite (no inputs). All TiVos: TiVo subscription for all and multi-stream CableCARD rental for digital cable.
3Pal/CM DVR = DTVPal DVR, Channel Master CM-7000, 7400, 7500, and possibly other names.
WoH = Without Help like CableCARD rental, computer network, special SW, sep. tuner or recorder, new "TV language," etc.

Table II: Features for the Gearhead       Return to top.

OEM HDD (in GB)

160-

320/

500 250

Replace internal OEM HDD or upgrade OEM HDD to SATA in all using internal FW only. It's a simple DIY job for virtually any PhilMag DVDR user (just ask some of the people who've done it!) Don't need computer & SW (like TiVo), or mfgr download (like Moxi), or auto-registration of change (both) whereby they have evidence of you mucking inside the box and they'll void your warranty (Tivo1 - TiVo2 - Moxi1 - Moxi2 - Moxi3), and put you on their sh** list (refuse to help with any future problems) (Tivo - Moxi4 - Moxi5 - Moxi6). Moxi keeps logs on your shenaniigans "forever."

X

X

Replace a main unit (the box) without losing ANY of your recorded titles on either internal or external HDD (TiVo loses everything), Simply install or externally attach old HDD to any of the 7 generations of PhilMag DVDRs, new or used, with all your titles playable. You could also use this opportunity to start an external HDD system with the old internal HDD as described in next item.

X

Interchange unlimited number of external HDDs on different Dock-and-Play (D&P) systems to record, play, copy, edit, archive video, music, pics in different rooms, cities, states, etc. (they're portable between externally configured Philips and Mag HDD recorders!) Examples: 1st D&P system with 2 DVDRs & 5-HDDs and one user with 8 D&P HDDs.

X

Interchange unlimited number of partially recorded external HDDs with titles of your choosing (sorted by genre?) to record, play, copy, edit, archive new video, music, pics, and retain and play all previously recorded stuff
X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive video, music, pics with an unlimited number of inexpensive, widely available external HDDs that hold entire titles of your choosing, not split like TiVo or auto-sequential spillover like Moxi (Moxi1 - Moxi2 4 posts)

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive video, music, pics using unlimited number of inexpensive, widely available external HDDs that are not tied to a specific recorder SN or chassis

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive video, music, pics using unlimited number of inexpensive, widely available external HDDs that are under your exclusive control

X

Record, play, copy, edit, archive video, music, pics using unlimited number of inexpensive, widely available external HDDs of YOUR choosing rather than someone else's (Moxi - TiVo1 - TiVo2 - TiVo3, per bkdtv review, pg12, "In its software, TiVo restricts external drive expansion to the specific make and model drives used in the My DVR Expander."

X

Operate/upgrade/maintain recorder w/o any internet or tel. connection to, or ongoing operational dependence on, mfgr or service provider

X

X

Set program timers, record and watch TV or recorded programs remotely from other room, state or country via internet using Slingbox

X
X
?
X

Return to top.
Go to main list of help files.

post #6900 of 26077 Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Thans Wajo and jjeff

I will try a recan.

108.1 on the timer woks great - it pops to 4.1 the local NBC HD channe. I have found them all above 100 except the local CBS HD. Using the channel up, it pops to it after I pass 9.37, but I cannot see what the real channel is. Logic would say it is a subchannel of 108 but I cannot find it manually (yet). The search goes on.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com