Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 232 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6931 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by George55 View Post

My question is, does the hard drive continue to run anytime the 3576 is on or will it time out and power down because it's the USB port not the HD being used?

The HDD will be in Idle mode, like it is after turning machine on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George55 View Post

Also, (and maybe this is addressed in the manual) is there a max # of files and directories that the system will recognize? If I have 100 CD's with say 15 songs each that would be 1500 titles/files/tracks in 100 directories.

Up to 255 folders, up to 99 tracks/999 files, up to 16 cards on card reader (per the manual... no personal experience testing MP3 limits).

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6932 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I more or less get how the internal is tweaked by adding the adapter and cables, then the outgoing 'plug' becomes the connector to the external drive enclosure with multiple swappable drives. I could probably handle that - though the cheap screws are always a P I T A , but my real question is "how do you put humpty dumpty together again?" Does the extending cable that connects to the external peripherals just hang out the back like a tail ? One photo of the test unit is still open, and another photn shows the red esata cable extended (to the toaster) where it's easily swappable... Dumb question -- Do you ever put the 'lid' back on, or does the cover have to stay off to accommodate the now external cable?

Once the cable is routed out the back you can replace the lid. Cable can then be plugged into a data store, toaster or external esata drive enclosure.
auskck is offline  
post #6933 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

See, baby steps! I'm not a power tool person -- as you probably have guessed Thanks! Figured it was something like that but it was probably so obvious no one mentioned it. I tend to try to keep my stuff as hole-free as possible! But for a good cause, maybe I'll sacrifice on to the experiment... AFTER the warranty !

Another thing that might be so obvious that it may be overlooked is, once a hole is drilled be sure to use a grommet where the cable passes through.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #6934 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
auskck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Another thing that might be so obvious that it may be overlooked is, once a hole is drilled be sure to use a grommet where the cable passes through.

A nice upmarket treatment
auskck is offline  
post #6935 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Newbie
 
lzsj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MUST BE A GLITCH IN 3576

Sony TV confirms that WUSA-HD COMCAST Montgomery County comes in on QAM 108 (although does nit give subchannel). 108.1, 108.2 and 108.3 pops to 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 (does not matter of 4 manually removed or not). Tried every 108.XX past 108.3 and every one pops to 4.1. Manually tuning in 9.1 pops to 9.32 (SD version). Using timer to tune to 9.1 records blue. But, if I manually tune in the HD channel by going to 9.32 and hitting the channel up (which goes to 14 for a mini second and then pops to 9.1 HD) and leave it there, if the next show scheduled is on 9.1 it does not attempt to tune a different channel and records 9.1 HD in WS. So I just have to remember to leave it where it needs to be. Any HD channel that has a real channel as XX.1, the tuner can go directly to it. Any HD channel that is mapped to a virtual channel and exists in the same XX.1 range (like 108.4 for exaample where 108.1 is mapped to 4.1) is lost to direct tuning (best I can tell after days of trying).
lzsj123 is offline  
post #6936 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzsj123 View Post

MUST BE A GLITCH IN 3576
But, if I manually tune in the HD channel by going to 9.32 and hitting the channel up (which goes to 14 for a mini second and then pops to 9.1 HD) and leave it there, if the next show scheduled is on 9.1 it does not attempt to tune a different channel and records 9.1 HD in WS. So I just have to remember to leave it where it needs to be. Any HD channel that has a real channel as XX.1, the tuner can go directly to it. Any HD channel that is mapped to a virtual channel and exists in the same XX.1 range (like 108.4 for exaample where 108.1 is mapped to 4.1) is lost to direct tuning (best I can tell after days of trying).

I have run into one similar instance of not being able to record when timer set on my 2160a, but I think that's pretty much KomKastic's fault. For channels 22. 1 and 22.3 I receive two different stations at the exact same number. The click through sequence is 22.1 - 22.10 then 22.34 then 22.1 - 22.3 If I manually select the one I want and it's "on" when I hit record it's fine, but if I use the timer it's a crapshoot as to whether I'll get one, the other, or just an hour of blue screen. On my tv, connected to the same coax, only one station comes in at that number, as you might expect, but on the tuner I (happily) get both. Guess it's a small price to pay for being able to record both stations, but I do have to consciously remember (or just record it on the machine with a STB). Annoying, but easy enough to work around.

Don't waste any more effort trying to explain the inexplicable - just leave a post-it on the recorder so you remember the first couple of times you need to do it.


auskck, Digado, and wajo - thanks for not laughing (too hard) at my mechanical ineptitude. You guys are good sports ...and good teachers!
artwire is offline  
post #6937 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzsj123 View Post

MUST BE A GLITCH IN 3576

Sony TV confirms that WUSA-HD COMCAST Montgomery County comes in on QAM 108 (although does nit give subchannel). 108.1, 108.2 and 108.3 pops to 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 (does not matter of 4 manually removed or not). Tried every 108.XX past 108.3 and every one pops to 4.1. Manually tuning in 9.1 pops to 9.32 (SD version). Using timer to tune to 9.1 records blue. But, if I manually tune in the HD channel by going to 9.32 and hitting the channel up (which goes to 14 for a mini second and then pops to 9.1 HD) and leave it there, if the next show scheduled is on 9.1 it does not attempt to tune a different channel and records 9.1 HD in WS. So I just have to remember to leave it where it needs to be. Any HD channel that has a real channel as XX.1, the tuner can go directly to it. Any HD channel that is mapped to a virtual channel and exists in the same XX.1 range (like 108.4 for exaample where 108.1 is mapped to 4.1) is lost to direct tuning (best I can tell after days of trying).

Two things to try:

1. Have you tried the simple "hang-by-a-thread" test described here? This will make sure that 108 is not so strong as to splatter, which might preclude it being tunable on 108 itself.

2. For any digital channel that has an analog "counterpart," Delete the analog channel manually and see if any difference. This will test my WAG that the early-3575 blue-screen-in-cable-system problem attributed to "analog interference" might play a role. Not sure if just removing the analog from the CH+/- memory will be "sufficient" to eliminate any interference, but might be possible depending on what the "intelligent memory" of these units does with that.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6938 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzsj123 View Post

MUST BE A GLITCH IN 3576

Sony TV confirms that WUSA-HD COMCAST Montgomery County comes in on QAM 108 (although does nit give subchannel). 108.1, 108.2 and 108.3 pops to 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 (does not matter of 4 manually removed or not). Tried every 108.XX past 108.3 and every one pops to 4.1. Manually tuning in 9.1 pops to 9.32 (SD version). Using timer to tune to 9.1 records blue. But, if I manually tune in the HD channel by going to 9.32 and hitting the channel up (which goes to 14 for a mini second and then pops to 9.1 HD) and leave it there, if the next show scheduled is on 9.1 it does not attempt to tune a different channel and records 9.1 HD in WS. So I just have to remember to leave it where it needs to be. Any HD channel that has a real channel as XX.1, the tuner can go directly to it. Any HD channel that is mapped to a virtual channel and exists in the same XX.1 range (like 108.4 for exaample where 108.1 is mapped to 4.1) is lost to direct tuning (best I can tell after days of trying).

Just a thought -- if 108.1 .2 .3 is popping to 4.1 , .2, and .3 ... where is WRC/NBC showing up on your line up? THAT should be 4.1, .2, and .3 ... and 108 is CBS local. So maybe you're overlapping somehow?
artwire is offline  
post #6939 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Member
 
minime18r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my reading of the 2160 manuel (pg 40) it states that DVD-RW/-R discs will be recorded in the DVD+VR mode automatically. My Mag DP170MW8B player manuel says it will not play a disc recorded in the VR mode. Is VR and +VR recording modes the same thing?

An admission of inexperience happened yesturday while dubbing HDD to DVD on a DVD+RW disc. I had the recording speed set to SP and about half way through, decided that I wanted to change the speed to HS. I stopped the session and tried to erase the disc. I guess the 2160 didn't like that and put up an error message that this disc was not recordable. Well that was the end of that disc. After that the disc would not load in the 2160 or the DP170. I thought that DVD+RW could be erased. Is this just a fluke event?
minime18r is offline  
post #6940 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r View Post

In my reading of the 2160 manuel (pg 40) it states that DVD-RW/-R discs will be recorded in the DVD+VR mode automatically. My Mag DP170MW8B player manuel says it will not play a disc recorded in the VR mode. Is VR and +VR recording modes the same thing?

No, VR-mode is part of the "Video" recording std, while +VR is a Philips recording std. compatible with the Video std.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r View Post

An admission of inexperience happened yesturday while dubbing HDD to DVD on a DVD+RW disc. I had the recording speed set to SP and about half way through, decided that I wanted to change the speed to HS. I stopped the session and tried to erase the disc. I guess the 2160 didn't like that and put up an error message that this disc was not recordable. Well that was the end of that disc. After that the disc would not load in the 2160 or the DP170. I thought that DVD+RW could be erased. Is this just a fluke event?

Normally, -R/+R discs are unusable if stopping a dub process, but you might have proved the same for a +RW... inless you've got a 2160-A version and have a timer rec program set?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6941 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Member
 
minime18r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

No, VR-mode is part of the "Video" recording std, while +VR is a Philips recording std. compatible with the Video std.


Normally, -R/+R discs are unusable if stopping a dub process, but you might have proved the same for a +RW... inless you've got a 2160-A version and have a timer rec program set?

I do have the 2160A version with a timer rec program set, but I thought that the problem was that it inhibited the finalization process.

Secondly, on football Sunday, I wanted to watch two games at once. This viewed through PIP on my Mitsu LCD and the tuner from the 2160 as second source seemed like a resonable idea. I used a HDMI to connect and saw that when plugged in, the digital stations usually available on the Mitsu are no longer there and only analog channels numbers were posted(blue screen). The signal coming from the 2160 were still digital. After a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out by using componet or s-video w/R+W audio cables restored the digital signal back to the Mitsu. Did the HDMI cable allowed the 2160 signal to dominate what info is available to the PIP screen?
minime18r is offline  
post #6942 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Member
 
George55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazza View Post

But George, I would be interested in your experience with the 3576 and .mp3 files on a USB stick. I would use it to randomly play perhaps 100 songs. Unfortunately in between many of the songs I would be a loud blaring sound, a music snippet for less than a second. Really annoying. I tried using different USB sticks and got the same problem. I now play .mp3 files off a USB stick from my DVD player (a Yamaha).
_Lazza

I have only used a small USB stick with a few CD's on it to see how the 3576 plays music and I did not hear any problems. They were recorded via Windows Media Player at 128kbps. Ripping my whole collection to a 10G memory stick will be this winters project.

George
George55 is offline  
post #6943 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Member
 
basic_cable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I have run into one similar instance of not being able to record when timer set on my 2160a, but I think that's pretty much KomKastic's fault. For channels 22. 1 and 22.3 I receive two different stations at the exact same number. The click through sequence is 22.1 - 22.10 then 22.34 then 22.1 - 22.3 If I manually select the one I want and it's "on" when I hit record it's fine, but if I use the timer it's a crapshoot as to whether I'll get one, the other, or just an hour of blue screen. On my tv, connected to the same coax, only one station comes in at that number, as you might expect, but on the tuner I (happily) get both. Guess it's a small price to pay for being able to record both stations, but I do have to consciously remember (or just record it on the machine with a STB). Annoying, but easy enough to work around.

I have two channels mapped into 2-1, PBS and CBS, with PBS being the channel selected if I enter 2-1 on the remote. I can't say for sure, since I am not currently timer-recording any CBS programs, but I believe if I channel-upped to CBS, and then set my timer program, it managed to record the CBS program, whereas if I was tuned to some other channel and selected 2-1 while setting the program, I would get PBS.
basic_cable is offline  
post #6944 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r View Post

I do have the 2160A version with a timer rec program set, but I thought that the problem was that it inhibited the finalization process.

No, the 2160A FW bug doesn't allow ANY op in the Disc Edit menu, which inlcudes RW initial formatting and post-rec Erasing, to complete if any timer rec programs are set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r View Post

Secondly, on football Sunday, I wanted to watch two games at once. This viewed through PIP on my Mitsu LCD and the tuner from the 2160 as second source seemed like a resonable idea. I used a HDMI to connect and saw that when plugged in, the digital stations usually available on the Mitsu are no longer there and only analog channels numbers were posted(blue screen). The signal coming from the 2160 were still digital. After a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out by using componet or s-video w/R+W audio cables restored the digital signal back to the Mitsu. Did the HDMI cable allowed the 2160 signal to dominate what info is available to the PIP screen?

I hope someone will help who uses PIP regularly.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6945 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Member
 
rec630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

...snip...
Does the extending cable that connects to the external peripherals just hang out the back like a tail ? One photo of the test unit is still open, and another photn shows the red esata cable extended (to the toaster) where it's easily swappable... Dumb question -- Do you ever put the 'lid' back on, or does the cover have to stay off to accommodate the now external cable?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16957073

Originally Posted by rec630 View Post
"I've seen your posted pics, but am unclear if you have the cover off and cables running out or did you find another more tidy way of getting the connections out while keeping the case cover on?

Apologies if this has been answered before and I missed it."

Reply Posted by auskck
"I'm not sure but here goes.
The esata cables are thin, if you every pull the lid on one of these you will notice some notches on the back, the esata cable fits nicely through the notch at the top of the back panel. No problems what so ever. I'll have to take pics of the ass end
If need be the notch could be increased with a dremel tool, fine small saw or a file."
rec630 is offline  
post #6946 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Been wracking my brain for a SIMPLE solution to the FW bug in the 2160A and came up with one more possibility.

Setting the 2160A on Input L3 (DV) SHUTS OFF AUTOSTART RECORDING (AR)!

L1 and L2 do not stop AR.

I think this might be important because it MIGHT allow a Disc Edit op to complete since there's no background recording, thus no chance of any interference there or, I'm hoping, from a timer rec program within "sight" of the FW op system... the machine is waiting for a DV input!!!

While it's waiting, Disc Edit ops can be done however.

Can someone please:

1. Set one timer program at least 2 hours in the future (more is OK as long as none within 2 hours).

2. Set 2160A on L3 (DV) input (with no DV connected of course).

3. Try a Finalize or RW Erase or new RW auto-format.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6947 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm doing it now.... just need to rearrange some timer recordings.... kept a M - S timer setting but changed the time to more than 2 hours from now....

seeing some screen interference during the finalization..... this will go to the end before it fails, if bug is evident, right? 40% now...

no failure message............ yet (are you a &*(*^W&E%&^% genius ???)

Let me see if the disk is finalized.....

it just says EMPTY TITLE with no time .... I think that means it WORKED ????????????????

Will try it in computer to see if it reads as a dvd.... and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Not to put too fine a point on it, but YOU **ARE** A #&$*(#$(&@(#^@$^ GENIUS!!!!

ALL HAIL WAJO THE TIMER BUG KILLER!!!!!!!!
artwire is offline  
post #6948 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Arrow up from title and read the text info, one of which is Finalize status.

Did your disc have a recorded title on it or was it blank... not sure it matters tho?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6949 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I'm doing it now.... just need to rearrange some timer recordings....

some screen interference during the finalization..... this will go to the end , then fail if bug is evident, right? 40% now...

no failure message............ yet (are you a &*(*^W&E%&^% genius ???)

Let me see if the disk is finalized.....

it just says EMPTY TITLE with no time .... I think that means it WORKED ????????????????

Will try it in computer to see if it reads as a dvd.... and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Not to put too fine a point on it, but YOU **ARE** A #&$*(#$(&@(#^@$^ GENIUS!!!!

ALL HAIL WAJO THE TIMER BUG KILLER!!!!!!!!

That's absolutely fantastic!

Just to be sure, put in your 2160A and arrow up from 1st title and see if it shows "Finalized"... that'll be the absolute clincher!

Is it safe to announce to all our long-suffering "A" users?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6950 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Arrow up from title and read the text info, one of which is Finalize status.

Did your disc have a recorded title on it or was it blank... not sure it matters tho?


Well, it's clearly finalized since it's working in my mac! Will put it back in the 2160A to see what it says...

Disc had two titles recorded + an empty that I didnt overwrite.

DISC DVD+R
TOTAL TITLES 3
DISC SPACE USED 1.56:09
FINALIZE - FINALIZED

The flashes of 'light' kind of threw me, but it looks fine and is working fine. You are definitely our hero! Maybe you shouldn't advertise it til you SELL the solution to Funai ?
artwire is offline  
post #6951 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Well, it's clearly finalized since it's working in my mac! Will put it back in the 2160 to see what it says...

Disc had two titles recorded

DISC DVD+R
TOTAL TITLES 3
DISC SPACE USED 1.56:09
FINALIZE - FINALIZED

Again, FANTASTIC! Thanks for testing... now to announce to our suffering brethren!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6952 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142


Long-suffering 2160A users can safely Finalize, Format, Erase, etc... all the Disc Edit ops... that would not complete with any timer rec programs set!

To kill your timer bug:

1. Keep your timer rec programs intact.

2. Set your Source for L3 (DV) input (with no DV connected).

3. Finalize, Format and Erase away!


Remember, Finalizing still can't be done if any timer rec program is due to start within 1-hour of Finalize start, and an Erase still needs at least 15 minutes.



PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6953 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post



Long-suffering 2160A users can safely Finalize, Format, Erase, etc... all the Disc Edit ops... that would not complete with any timer rec programs set!

To kill your timer bug:

1. Keep your timer rec programs intact.

2. Set your Source for L3 (DV) input (with no DV connected).

3. Finalize, Format and Erase away!



Wajo, when you're writing this up, be sure to remind them about the 2 hr. thing. I didnt try it with a timer recording set to within the 2 hr. mark. I pushed it back to 3 am for the test. Not sure if that's true of all finalization, or if that's only necessary for this method. But the important thing is (I still can't believe it!) IT WORKS! Thanks so much
artwire is offline  
post #6954 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Wajo, when you're writing this up, be sure to remind them about the 2 hr. thing. I didnt try it with a timer recording set to within the 2 hr. mark. I pushed it back to 3 am for the test. Not sure if that's true of all finalization, or if that's only necessary for this method. But the important thing is (I still can't believe it!) IT WORKS! Thanks so much

Thanks for the reminder. I added a note at the bottom reminding people of the NORMAL 1-hour gap for Finalizing and the 15-minute gap for Erasing.

And, since this is such a critical thing for lots of people, and since this post started a new page, I'm repeating my announcement again:



Long-suffering 2160A users can safely Finalize, Format, and Erase NORMALLY with timer rec programs set!

1. Keep your timer rec programs intact.*

2. Set your Source for L3 (DV) input (with no DV connected).**

3. Finalize, Format and Erase away!


*Remember, Finalizing still can't be done if any timer rec program is due to start within 1-hour of Finalize start, and an Erase still needs at least 15 minutes.

**Do not press any buttons other than the Setup button to get to the Disc Edit option you need. I played some more with my -RW while on L3 and pressed most every button, one or more of which made my digital channels be changed to "Delete" in the Manual Preset menu, i.e., got lost from CH+/- memory. Easy to get back but then.... I noticed the machine was "runnning" for a time, like I had activated one of the SKIP procedures? I've tried many times since to try to repeat that phenomenon but, so far, nothing will replicate that CH+/- memory loss. I'll report if I ever do find a button or combo that replicates the problem but for now (2nd day no luck either), don't get curious like me... stick to Plan A!



PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6955 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
bodhi78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bodhi78 is offline  
post #6956 of 26047 Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

...
Setting the 2160A on Input L3 (DV) SHUTS OFF AUTOSTART RECORDING (AR)!

L1 and L2 do not stop AR.
...

Congratulations!!
Where did you find out this information?
I could not find it in the manual, or a post.

Update:
I believe you do not have a 2160A, but you do have a 2160.
Can I assume you made observations on the 2160 and assumed the same would be true on a 2160A?
kenavs is offline  
post #6957 of 26047 Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

Congratulations!!
Where did you find out this information?
I could not find it in the manual, or a post.

Update:
I believe you do not have a 2160A, but you do have a 2160.
Can I assume you made observations on the 2160 and assumed the same would be true on a 2160A?

Elementary, my Dear Watson!

I do have an original 2160 so I could only test the 1st steps of my theory that there might be a connection to auto-rec and the bug, and looked for a way to disconnect ANY recording action with timer rec programs, i.e., to make the machine dumb and mute, or not be "concerned" with any need to record anytime soon.

I tested my original 2160 just to see if a line input would stop autorec and found only L3 did that. Then I tested a -RW to make sure Disc Edit ops could be done while on L3, and the rest is history!

Here's my original post followed by Artwire's successful proof of concept on his 2160A.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
post #6958 of 26047 Old 10-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Elementary, my Dear Watson!

I do have an original 2160 so I could only test the 1st steps of my theory that there might be a connection to auto-rec and the bug, and looked for a way to disconnect ANY recording action with timer rec programs, i.e., to make the machine dumb and mute, or not be "concerned" with any need to record anytime soon.

I tested a -RW on my original 2160 just to see if a line input would stop autorec and found only L3 did that. Then I tested to make sure Disc Edit ops could be done while on L3, and the rest is history!

Here's my original post followed by Artwire's successful proof of concept on a 2160A.

Nice Work!
I am a little troubled by something.

It seems somewhat reasonable that AutoRecord could interfere with the disk functions since it uses system resources, and the disk functions are probably quite demanding of them. I wonder if they disabled AutoRecord on the non-A during critical disk functions. Your research and the discovery of a way to stop AutoRecord provides a very low pain work-around for the A. Your fix does make quite a bit of sense. I would no longer have technical concerns about picking up a 2160A, but I can't really think of a justification, as long as my 75 and 76 are both working.

The thing that is not obvious to me now is why deleting all the entries from the record table also worked. I would not have expected that to eliminate very much overhead. Obviously, this is just a matter of curiosity. A viable work-around was the real need, and you have found that.

One more time: CONGRATULATION!!!
kenavs is offline  
post #6959 of 26047 Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Member
 
tfj2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Schaumburg, IL (near Chicago)
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Thanks for the reminder. I added a note at the bottom reminding people of the NORMAL 1-hour gap for Finalizing and the 15-minute gap for Erasing.

And, since this is such a critical thing for lots of people, and since this post started a new page, I'm repeating my announcement again:



Long-suffering 2160A users can safely Finalize, Format, and Erase NORMALLY with timer rec programs set!

1. Keep your timer rec programs intact.*

2. Set your Source for L3 (DV) input (with no DV connected).

3. Finalize, Format and Erase away!


*Remember, Finalizing still can't be done if any timer rec program is due to start within 1-hour of Finalize start, and an Erase still needs at least 15 minutes.



Wajo,

That's brilliant! I have a couple 2160's but no 2160A's, so I had not thought about a solution. You are a genius and quite magnanimous. Funai should have you on their payroll. Of course, they don't seem smart enough for that. Anyway, keep up the great work!

TFJ
tfj2u is offline  
post #6960 of 26047 Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I had to add a ** note to the FW bug killer post/procedure above to refrain from pressing any buttons other than Setup... my playin around with pressing all kinds of buttons while on L3 apparently caused my digital channels to be "Deleted" from CH+/- button memory. Had to manually Add mine again.

Just don't get curious like me... stick to Plan A!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
wajo is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off