Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 233 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6961 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lzsj123 wrote:

> That led to the discovery that 4.1 virtual is 108.1 real, and so on.
> Just cant find the real channel for 9.1 (yet).

If 9.1 is at 108.xx you will never be able to tune it, because 108 real is virtualizing to 4 because the PSIP is set incorrectly by the cableco or is corrupted i.e. Instead of just the sub-channels virtualizing, the major channel is virtualizing all 128.xx sub-channels to 4.xx subchannels. When this happens you lose all the real 108 sub-channels. When 4.** is not a valid channel, it defaults to 4.1.

FWIW, this is not an uncommon event, and Comcast does not consider it to be a network problem.

Comcast's STBs don't use PSIPs, they use the virtual map in memory, so PSIPs are a total no-care for them. I wish you better luck than I've ever had trying to get any kind of sensible response from them, the repeated recommendation is rescan because everything works with our STBs. I have not yet met a tech who has the slightest clue about what a PSIP is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Great bang for the buck. $53.99
Fantom GreenDrive 500GB USB 2.0 and eSATA External Hard Drive - 2 Year Warranty! - GD500EU

http://www.buy.com/prod/fantom-green...208503760.html
post #6963 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 AM

wajo, excellent work! Perhaps you should tell Funai of this workaround so they can tell their customers about it! At least now folks need not think twice about buying a 2160a!

_Lazza
post #6964 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info.
post #6965 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 AM

I ordered a 2160 from WalMart a few days ago, and while waiting for it to arrive I've been reading this (long) thread. I'm glad this fix was found before the unit arrived. Thanks to wajo for having such a great insight (and spending the time).
post #6966 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic_cable View Post

I have two channels mapped into 2-1, PBS and CBS, with PBS being the channel selected if I enter 2-1 on the remote. I can't say for sure, since I am not currently timer-recording any CBS programs, but I believe if I channel-upped to CBS, and then set my timer program, it managed to record the CBS program, whereas if I was tuned to some other channel and selected 2-1 while setting the program, I would get PBS.

That definitely works for me when you're there to select channel and manually hit record, but not sure if it works when setting the timer. I'll check it out. I think I did that and it reverted to blank, but ... want to double check before saying it didn't work. If it does, that would be very convenient.

Thanks!

*Two fixes in one day ....
post #6967 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

For convenience, I've added a new help file to the Subject list on the "2160A FW Bug Killer"... or how to Format, Erase and Finalize discs with timer rec programs set.

The help file itself is here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #6968 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM

> Great bang for the buck. $53.99
> Fantom GreenDrive 500GB USB 2.0 and eSATA External Hard Drive - 2 Year Warranty! - GD500EU
>
> http://www.buy.com/prod/fantom-green...208503760.html

eSATA externals are thin on the ground, and the performance is more than adequate for video recording. Just don't rely on the rebate to help justify the purchase (in the reviews at newegg half the buyers mention that the rebate never arrives).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822204078
post #6969 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 04:11 PM

[quote=wajo;17342632]No, the 2160A FW bug doesn't allow ANY op in the Disc Edit menu, which inlcudes RW initial formatting and post-rec Erasing, to complete if any timer rec programs are set.

Congratulations, job well done.
post #6970 of 26028 Old 10-13-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I tested my original 2160 just to see if a line input would stop autorec and found only L3 did that.

So are you saying that selecting L3 disables the auto record feature? I so I'd say you've found another feature for the people that complain about not being able to disable the auto record feature
Personally I'd like the autorec but I've read a few posts by people wishing they could disable that feature, maybe they can now?
post #6971 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How do we add the title "Bug Killer Extraordinaire" to Wajo's membership?
post #6972 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzsj123 View Post

Artwire and Wajo: Thanks for trying to help.

"I'm confused though -- you are trying to tune this on your Comcast dvr or on a mag/phillips recorder via QAM? Do you have any other QAM capable tuners in the house that might pick it up (so you can ID the number)? "

I am trying to do this on my Phillips 3575H. My Sony TV wuth QAM tuner is not much help. It picks up all the channels on the traditional numbers (9.1 is WUSA-HD). The COMCAST DVR box has a great dignostic menu (tune to channel, turn off and press OK). It has at least 10 or so choices on the menu, and two of them give the frequency of the current channel, but no subchannel info.

I will try the link, and then call the station and / or COMCAST.

Appreciate the hand holding.

Ditto on the 3575. I can't get WUSA-HD on either QAM or OTA. Nor can I get WJLA-HD either way. From reading the other forums, it appears that those two stations were assigned on the VHF band and therefore do not have the strength to transmit far enough even to reach Silver Spring which is >20 miles from the WUSA studio on Wisconsin Avenue. FOX's WTTG is located on the same street just a few blocks away but it comes in very clearly, as does NBC's affiliate WRC channel 4.

At this point, we can WATCH WUSA-HD and WJLA-HD on the Panny HDTV (via Comcrap coax but without an STB) on either the old channel 29/27, or in full HD at 9.1/7,1, but can't record either of them. Good thing I have the 2160 to record the old analog channel, else I'd be missing the Ghost Whisperer, etc.

I've not yet installed the DTAs Comcrap provided. Too busy on the job boards.
post #6973 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I hate to be a broken record, but someone needs to try the hang-by-a-thread test... I think!? If for no other reason, just to eliminate signal strength as a possibility, esp. considering our DVDRs AMPLIFY the signal 4dB thru Low Pass Filter then 2dB.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #6974 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

Ditto on the 3575. I can't get WUSA-HD on either QAM or OTA. Nor can I get WJLA-HD either way. From reading the other forums, it appears that those two stations were assigned on the VHF band and therefore do not have the strength to transmit far enough even to reach Silver Spring which is >20 miles from the WUSA studio on Wisconsin Avenue. FOX's WTTG is located on the same street just a few blocks away but it comes in very clearly, as does NBC's affiliate WRC channel 4.

At this point, we can WATCH WUSA-HD and WJLA-HD on the Panny HDTV (via Comcrap coax but without an STB) on either the old channel 29/27, or in full HD at 9.1/7,1, but can't record either of them. Good thing I have the 2160 to record the old analog channel, else I'd be missing the Ghost Whisperer, etc.

I've not yet installed the DTAs Comcrap provided. Too busy on the job boards.

I'm in the city and I thought when WUSA switched, I'd lose it cause I have a UHF only (supposedly) antenna, but OTA at either 9-1 or 9-34 depending on the device -- sorry can't recall which is whcih and I'm away from the tv) are really strong, and on the raw cc coax to tuner, 117-3 is the main HD station, followed by 9 weather at 117-2 .On STB it's 212 for the 'HD" feed - but OTA is best.

Do you have a VHF + UHF antenna? I'm still using a UHF channel master and it's gorgeous OTA, which, of course doesn't really solve the recording matter... but (so far) coax is better than STB in terms of image quality.

Hope the job hunt is going well, Stump! Hang in there!!!
post #6975 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Tested some DVD+RW (4x) Verbatim discs and I could not get them to record.... I have not used these discs before so it may be user error. I'm guessing maybe it's connected to The Bug. I put in the blank -- it formatted (I thought) -- at least it didn't "fail' visibly.... but I got a cannot record message. Then I erased it .... tried again , thinking maybe I needed to clean it off. I got an E21 error. I think that means the disc is not formatted.... I didnt realize you need to L3 JUST to record to RW? I tried the disc in my mac and it's burning fine - the only other thing I could think of is that the 2160A can't read 4x DVD+RW ???? or burner on the refurb is wonky? Or I broke something?

So I popped in another DVD (not RW)_disc and got a "cannot record to this disc" message. Then I put in a disc with recordings on it and got "cannot record to this disc message! That was kind of freaky .... so I shut down and started from scratch -- now I'm using a DVD+R blank and it seems to be recording fine from HDD to DVD+R okay Phew!

As I said, I hadnt used these before so user error is a distinct possibility. When this disc finishes, I'll try the formatting test for an hour (future scheduled timer recording). I do have a timer recording set, so I'm hoping THAT's why the RW disc got screwy.
post #6976 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Did you have your 2160A on L3 before you put the +RW in the tray and loaded it? It needs to be auto-formatted, which can't occur unless your onL3.

Also, Formatting needs at least 15 min. before next timer rec.

post #6977 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

I hate to be a broken record, but someone needs to try the hang-by-a-thread test... I think!? If for no other reason, just to eliminate signal strength as a possibility, esp. considering our DVDRs AMPLIFY the signal 4dB thru Low Pass Filter then 2dB.

I did the 'hang by a thread' procedure several months back which resulted in nada, zip, zero. Just snow as if it weren't connected at al. I also put it through an admittedly-too-high -10 dB attenuator (dumb) with equivalent results.
post #6978 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you have your 2160A on L3 before you put the +RW in the tray and loaded it? It needs to be auto-formatted, which can't occur unless your onL3.

Also, Formatting needs at least 15 min. before next timer rec.

THat must be it - I 'thought" I still had it on L3 since last night, but I'll bet it got switched with all the clicking. But I didn't realize the RW needs 'formatting' first. When I read that it was automatic, I thought the formatting thing didnt' apply.

I see you updated the notes since the last time I looked

Note 2: To auto-format a new RW or Erase a used one with timer rec programs set in the 2160A (only), first select L3 (DV) input as the Source. Format is automatic on a new RW. For Erase or Finalize (-RW only), press only the Setup button and select Disc Edit > Erase... don't press any other buttons while on L3.

I was under the mistaken impression that you format AFTER you record, not before, so the bug wouldn't apply -- Didn't realize that the auto prep for RW is also "formatting' Looks like your 'fix' is even more valuable!

what really creeped me out , though ... when I put in a DIFFERENT (partially burned DVD+R disc, it said 'cannot record to this disc, too.... and when I put a finalized DVD+R, it also said 'cannot record to this disc. Yeah, I know ... but why is it telling me that? It was as though the error remained in memory and needed to be flushed by unplugging. Is that possible?

Anyway, seems ok now. I was thinking I might have killed it
post #6979 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Subject: Omit Sub-Channels on 2160A

I'm obviously missing something obvious on tuning. I cannot get rid of subchannels I don't want in the channel line-up. How do you get rid of them? All I can do is get rid of the entire group like 29.1, 29.2, 29.3, 29.4; but I only want 29.1.
post #6980 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

THat must be it - I 'thought" I still had it on L3 since last night, but I'll bet it got switched with all the clicking.

I was under the mistaken impression that you format AFTER you record, not before, so the bug wouldn't apply -- Didn't realize that the auto prep for RW is also "formatting' Looks like your 'fix' is even more valuable!

So, can you confirm you were able to auto-format a +RW while on L3, which is something that hasn't yet been tried and confirmed (only Finalize has many reports of being OK now)?

Quote:

what really creeped me out , though ... when I put in a DIFFERENT (partially burned DVD+R disc, it said 'cannot record to this disc, too.... It was as though the error remained in memory and needed to be flushed by unplugging. Is that possible?

This IS odd but not particularly unusual. Was the disc from a 2160A or a Philips? If a diff. machine, do you have Recording > Make Recording Compatible set to ON?

post #6981 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlesscactus View Post

Subject: Omit Sub-Channels on 2160A

I'm obviously missing something obvious on tuning. I cannot get rid of subchannels I don't want in the channel line-up. How do you get rid of them? All I can do is get rid of the entire group like 29.1, 29.2, 29.3, 29.4; but I only want 29.1.

Sorry, that's the way it works... delete any channel and you delete them all... that's why the Manual Channel Preset menu only allows whole numbers.

To get by subs you don't care about, hold the CH+/- button down to surf thru them faster than one at a time.

post #6982 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, can you confirm you were able to auto-format a +RW while on L3, which is something that hasn't yet been tried and confirmed (only Finalize has many reports of being OK now)?

This IS odd but not particularly unusual. Was the disc from a 2160A or a Philips? If a diff. machine, do you have Recording > Make Recording Compatible set to ON?

Not yet -- but I'm just finishing finalizing a DVD+R that had a timer recording set for an hour and 2 minutes from the start time. It went black a few times (the "finalizing" bar at the bottom disappeared) but it chugged along and it finalized. So, just over an hour for the timer setting is OK for finalizing.

Will try a DVD+RW now....
post #6983 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

OK -- tray open, change to DV (L3 ) , insert disc and close ... it says RW and is now auto "formatting" ... so far so good. Hmm... that was fast. Less than a minute I'd say...

Now screen is all black. I assume that's cause nothing is recorded on it so you dont see the disc menu ( I remembr reading that!). A little confusing, but ... it says -2:00:00 on the screen of the 2160A so it seems fine. CONFIRMED ANd then I am recording direct to disc vs dubbing now. when I want to delete stuff, do I need to go back to DV to 'edit" or has the 'formatting' taken care of that?

I know I don't need to format it at the end, so that's good. I can go between two 2160a machines without "making compatible", right?
Not sure if I can use it in computer though. We shall see....

answering my own question -- EDIT ... DELETE seems to be working without switching back to DV (L3). Empty title now = 2:00 again. Cool.
post #6984 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Not yet -- but I'm just finishing finalizing a DVD+R that had a timer recording set for an hour and 2 minutes from the start time. It went black a few times (the "finalizing" bar at the bottom disappeared) but it chugged along and it finalized. So, just over an hour is OK for finalizing.

Will try a DVD+RW now....

One more test... simple cuz it prob. won't work anyway.

On your next Finalize job, set a timer rec for 59 min. from "now" then try the Finalize while on L3. It will prob. say that's a no-no, so it'll be just like all the other units.

I'm just curious to see if the 2160A might be different with the L3 trick... my orig. 2160 wasn't... still 1-hr or more reqd.

post #6985 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:

I'm in the city and I thought when WUSA switched, I'd lose it cause I have a UHF only (supposedly) antenna, but OTA at either 9-1 or 9-34 depending on the device -- sorry can't recall which is whcih and I'm away from the tv) are really strong, and on the raw cc coax to tuner, 117-3 is the main HD station, followed by 9 weather at 117-2 .On STB it's 212 for the 'HD" feed - but OTA is best.

Do you have a VHF + UHF antenna? I'm still using a UHF channel master and it's gorgeous OTA, which, of course doesn't really solve the recording matter... but (so far) coax is better than STB in terms of image quality.

Hope the job hunt is going well, Stump! Hang in there!!!

Thanks, artwire. I'm not certain about the antenna. I'm using the mast antenna that came with my Pinnacle HDPro Stick tuner for the PC, running through an RS amp. Channels 4, 5, 20, 26, 50, 66 and their subs all come in clear as the proverbial bell but no sign of 7 or 9.

The PC wound up with a twin-mast Maggie HDTV antenna from Wally-world which works fine there.
post #6986 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK -- tray open, change to DV (L3 ) , insert disc and close ... it says RW and is now auto "formatting" ... so far so good. Hmm... that was fast. Less than a minute I'd say...

Now screen is all black. I assume that's cause nothing is recorded on it so you dont see the disc menu ( I remembr reading that!). A little confusing, but ... it says -2:00:00 on the screen of the 2160A so it seems fine. CONFIRMED ANd then I am recording direct to disc vs dubbing now. when I want to delete stuff, do I need to go back to DV to 'edit" or has the 'formatting' taken care of that?

I know I don't need to format it at the end, so that's good. I can go between two 2160a machines without "making compatible", right?
Not sure if I can use it in computer though. We shall see....

answering my own question -- EDIT ... DELETE seems to be working without switching back to DV (L3). Empty title now = 2:00 again. Cool.

Thanks for confirming +RW formatting is A-OK while on L3!

On the MRC, you could leave it NOT set since you only have 2160's. If you ever get a 3575, 3576, 2080 or any other +VR recorder, then you'll need that setting if you want to move discs between them. With MRC Off, you'll only be able to PLAY unfinalized discs from other +VR machines... that'll be your 1st clue, in fact.

+VR machines made by Funai represent more than 50% of all those sold in North America, so you never know when you'll see a disc from one of them... they're EVERYWHERE!

post #6987 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

Thanks, artwire. I'm not certain about the antenna. I'm using the mast antenna that came with my Pinnacle HDPro Stick tuner for the PC, running through an RS amp. Channels 4, 5, 20, 26, 50, 66 and their subs all come in clear as the proverbial bell but no sign of 7 or 9.

You're also missing 22 (MPT) and 32 (WHUT) ? Doubt you could get 30.1 (MHZ) in Virginia since I can't always get it here. Might be worth trying (swapping temporarily) the other antenna, just to see if it brings more stations in. At least that way you can rule that out as a source of the problem.

By the way, I was wrong - 9 is 9.32 not 9.34 on the 2160a tuner. (1080i) as well as 117.3 and WJLA is 7. 31 and 118.1 - I know montg. cty is different, but figured I should correct it for 'the record'
post #6988 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for confirming +RW formatting is A-OK while on L3!

On the MRC, you could leave it NOT set since you only have 2160's. If you ever get a 3575, 3576, 2080 or any other +VR recorder, then you'll need that setting if you want to move discs between them. With MRC Off, you'll only be able to PLAY unfinalized discs from other +VR machines... that'll be your 1st clue, in fact.

+VR machines made by Funai represent more than 50% of all those sold in North America, so you never know when you'll see a disc from one of them... they're EVERYWHERE!

Everything else I have now is either computer -based (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J or panasonic DVD recorders with a different video format, so I think I'm ok. On the other hand, if there are no trade offs in terms of performance, maybe "making compatible" makes more sense for future-proofing? Is it slower to make compatible?

I'll do an 'under an hour' timer test as soon as the recording that's cooking now is finished. NO LUCK - formatting is grayed out and not an option under an hour.
post #6989 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Everything else I have now is either computer -based (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J or panasonic DVD recorders with a different video format, so I think I'm ok. On the other hand, if there are no trade offs in terms of performance, maybe "making compatible" makes more sense for future-proofing? Is it slower to make compatible?

I'll do an 'under an hour' timer test as soon as the recording that's cooking now is finished. NO LUCK - formatting is grayed out and not an option under an hour.

OK, so the "A" is the same as the original on time gaps reqd... thanks for testing this.

I haven't seen or heard of ANY problems with MRC turned ON all the time. All 4 of my machines are that set that way and I've had no problems whatsoever... no slowdowns or anything unusual or different. I still can't think of ANY reason NOT to turn MRC on and leave it on!

post #6990 of 26028 Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 PM

I just got a 2160A from WalMart, and I have been playing with it today, just recording to HDD. I haven't tried burning a DVD with it (yet). It is connected to my tv with an HDMI cable. I've found that when I play back something I have recorded to the hard drive, sometimes the sound is garbled. I can correct this by pressing the HDMI button on the remote, after which the sound is fine, even if I cycle through all the possible HDMI choices and stop at what it was originally. Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page