Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 25822 Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wajo, very informative thread! Thanks.

I read through most of it and still have two questions in regards to firewire input:
1) If I hook up my Canon Elura 100 non-HD widescreen camcorder to the firewire input, I can record to a DVD-R, and later when I play back the DVD-R it will be in widescreen. Correct?
2) I have two PCs that have firewire ports. Can I save a video in say Windows Movie Maker to the firewire port on the PC, that is connected to the input firewire on the Philips, and record to either a DVD or the HDD? What about the other direction?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 25822 Old 04-23-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post

I read through most of it and still have two questions in regards to firewire input:
1) If I hook up my Canon Elura 100 non-HD widescreen camcorder to the firewire input, I can record to a DVD-R, and later when I play back the DVD-R it will be in widescreen. Correct?
2) I have two PCs that have firewire ports. Can I save a video in say Windows Movie Maker to the firewire port on the PC, that is connected to the input firewire on the Philips, and record to either a DVD or the HDD? What about the other direction?

1) One (or two?) users have reported that they did record WS thru the DV port with the 3575/76 set for 16:9 TV Aspect in the Video menu, so you should be able to get a WS recording to the HDD or to a DVD. One user tested this but had his camera set wrong at first, then set it for WS output and reported it did record WS, so there's some camera setting needed for proper output? You should be able to play the camera thru the DV port and change the 3575/76's TV Aspect in the Video menu and see what will be recorded... the 3575/76 aspect setting is WYSIWYG thru the tuner, but I haven't been able to test for WYSIWYG thru the DV port cuz I don't have a WS camera.

I do know it records WS thru the tuner... I've thoroughly tested that. It just won't set the WS "flag" that allows a 4:3 TV to reshape it with letterbox bars top and bottom. On my 3575 and Panny combo played to my 4:3 TV, my WS recordings play quite nicely, with only a very slight squeeze... very hard to see unless there is a circle and I look very closely, actually have to compare to a 4:3 version.

For others wanting more details on HDTV passthru and recording WS, see this post.

2) The DV/firewire ports on all North American DVDRs are only for camera input. Even USB ports are "dumbed down" and only for viewing jpg pics and playing WMA and MP3 music files. Nothing can be sent out of either port from the DVDR. EU and Asian versions of our same machines can do much more since "Hollywood's" reach is pretty much limited to our shores.
post #723 of 25822 Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks

1) Please try and let us know. When I tried to hook up my Canon Elura non-HD with widescreen footage to the firewire input, the resulting DVD did not have the widescreen flag, and so played back squished on regular 4:3 TVs.

2) Wajo is correct in that the firewire input on the Philips, as well as all other DVD recorders with firewire in North America that I know of, can only be used for input from a DV camera.

If you wish, you could, however, capture to your computer from your DV cam to WMM (in the options, you can choose widescreen), for example, do some editing in WMM, then output the finished result via firewire back to your DV camera. But then you'd still have the problem that that widescreen footage wouldn't be recorded to the Philips with the widescreen flag, and therefore any DVD you make from it would still play with the wrong aspect ratio (squished) on regular 4:3 TVs.

But try it anyway and let us know. Your results would be a helpful addition to this already very informative thread.
post #724 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks wajo and plplplpl. I do not own a 3575, yet...I am replacing an old Apex DVD player. I am still trying to decide between the 3575 and just a DVD player (much cheaper), since I have already have a Pioneer 520 recorder.
post #725 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I'm esp. interested in whether the digital tuner holds your channels if you surf thru them, or if it loses tuning at some point. That's something ~38-40% of the earlier 3575s would do in a basic analog cable system (due to "analog interference" according to Philips).

Wajo

Last night I sat down and surfed up and down all the digital channels 3 times and it did not lose any of them. My question would be was that surfing enough? did others that have this problem surf more then that? Also I let it get each channel all the way in each time before moving on. Should I try it again just surfing quickly and not letting a pic show up for each channel? I am curious to try and duplicate exactly what others having the problem were doing.
post #726 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillj View Post

Wajo

Last night I sat down and surfed up and down all the digital channels 3 times and it did not lose any of them. My question would be was that surfing enough? did others that have this problem surf more then that? Also I let it get each channel all the way in each time before moving on. Should I try it again just surfing quickly and not letting a pic show up for each channel? I am curious to try and duplicate exactly what others having the problem were doing.

Some people with 3575s would lose tuning w/o even surfing, just moving one channel up or down then back again later.

My stress tests were 50-60 round trips very fast, mostly letting channels barely tune, then moving on, sometimes moving too quickly, and other times going into the external inputs then back to a channel, etc. That was only cuz my Apri 2007 unit was "pretty stable" but not "rock solid" like one of my replacement units.

I'd say you should try the 50-60 round trips like a normal person would surf, so each channel at least tunes in as if you were going to watch it?
post #727 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks wajo and plplplpl. I do not own a 3575, yet...I am replacing an old Apex DVD player. I am still trying to decide between the 3575 and just a DVD player (much cheaper), since I have already have a Pioneer 520 recorder.

Just get one of the new digital converter boxes for your 520... have to assume that the box can deliver WS digital channels to your 520, but haven't read of any confirmations of that yet? Makes tuning less convenient since you have to feed the 520 with line input and tune the box, but may work OK for some???
post #728 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks wajo. The 520 is on my main HDTV and the broken Apex is on my bedroom HDTV. I had the idea of moving the 520 to the bedroom, and put a newer recorder on the main HDTV.

But, it is looking like funds will dictate just a player, so I guess I will keep the 520 on the main HDTV. Care to recommend a sub 100 bucks player?

BTW, I never use the tuner in my 520...I always just record via S-video from my cable DVR...so I don't need a DTV tuner. Thanks.
post #729 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But, it is looking like funds will dictate just a player, so I guess I will keep the 520 on the main HDTV. Care to recommend a sub 100 bucks player?

Lots of people prob. in this same boat, just trying to afford gas and groceries!

I don't keep track of players, so can't recommend anything. Sorry.
post #730 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

Just get one of the new digital converter boxes for your 520... have to assume that the box can deliver WS digital channels to your 520, but haven't read of any confirmations of that yet?

Yes, at least the Zenith/Insignia and the DigitalStream will output anamorphic 16:9 to the recorders inputs.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #731 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM

Does the 3576 record audio only in DD? I loved capturing musical guest performances on late night shows in XP with LPCM on my old Pioneer, then rip the lossless audio on the pc. I've had this unit for a couple of days & so far I love it! I don't see anything in the manual about this recording option.
post #732 of 25822 Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No LPCM, just 48KHz DD2.0.

I've also got a Pio 640 and have recorded lots of music to it, but even my wife's sharp ears couldn't tell much, if any, diff. between LPCM and MN1 on a DVD. Maybe there's a bigger diff. noticeable when ripping on a PC?
post #733 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Just an idea regarding the firewire port. My DV camcorder can convert a video signal on the fly. I used it to put all of my old VHS home movies onto my PC and then convert them to DVD via Adobe Premier before the days of DVR's.

I wonder if I can use the same method backwards. Go from the video out of my PC's video card, through the camcorder and the attached firewire, into the 3575. It should just see it as a signal from my camcorder.

If it works I should be able to record anything from my PC to the 3575 via my camcorder and a firewire.
post #734 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoty View Post

Just an idea regarding the firewire port. My DV camcorder can convert a video signal on the fly. I used it to put all of my old VHS home movies onto my PC and then convert them to DVD via Adobe Premier before the days of DVR's.

I wonder if I can use the same method backwards. Go from the video out of my PC's video card, through the camcorder and the attached firewire, into the 3575. It should just see it as a signal from my camcorder.

If it works I should be able to record anything from my PC to the 3575 via my camcorder and a firewire.

If it's already on your PC, you have far more flexibility there than you would transferring it to a DVDR. You would be better served buying a DVD burner for the PC. Actually, from your post is sounds like you already have one.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #735 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sounds like a brilliant idea! I'd like to see if it works, and I think it should!

Go for it!
post #736 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM

The only problem with editing on your PC is that a) it ties up your PC, and b) rendering takes forever. This way it goes directly to DVD with little, if any loss of quality. If you need true HD, then I would agree that leaving it on your PC would work. However, if you have old VHS movies or something like that and want to put them onto DVD, this may be a quick fix.
post #737 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This way it goes directly to DVD with little, if any loss of quality.

You are going to start with a digital file on the PC, then let the TV card convert it to analog to send it to a camcorder which will then re-encode it into DV which then sends it to a DVDR which re-encodes the DV into MPEG. It is not clear that the DVDR will leave the DV in digital form and do a transode. It may very well convert the DV into analog to feed the signal to the MPEG encoder.

That's a lot of opportunity for generational loss.

- kelson h

post #738 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A short time ago, we were discussing media codes for DVDs and using the 3575/76's disc utility to check those codes. We found some Sony discs that just showed "SONY" with the disc utility, and kenavs suggested certain computer program don't read anything after "null" points (...).

I used my computer to check one of my discs I thought was a "phoney Sony" (cuz it just showed "SONY" in the disc utility) and the full code was SONY-D21-00. I also checked a Memorex disc (shame on me!) in my 3575 and the 3575 read its code as CMC MAG. AM3 (note spaces and null point). So it appears the disc utility might not read anything after a dash, but it will read a code with a single space and a single null point.

digitalfaq.com seems to show all its codes written together, w/o any spaces, null points, dashes, etc., so its not great for determining what you will actually see. Videohelp.com DOES show what appears to be the "real" code structure with null points and spaces, but then it doesn't show dashes in SONY codes like you might see with a computer program like DVD Decrypter.

So far, it looks like the 3575/76 disc utility can check most codes except for SOME SONY DVDs cuz they have either dashes or multiple null points... but SOME others can be read cuz they're like "SONY08D1".
post #739 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 PM

I agree that transferring videa via this method is not the preferred solution. However, it would be handy for some things that might otherwise be difficult. Say I want to record the playing of a video game to make some funky video. I would use the method for things that I wouldn't otherwise be able to easily transfer from my PC to a DVD.
post #740 of 25822 Old 04-25-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree that transferring videa via this method is not the preferred solution. However, it would be handy for some things that might otherwise be difficult. Say I want to record the playing of a video game to make some funky video. I would use the method for things that I wouldn't otherwise be able to easily transfer from my PC to a DVD.

As they say, "Just do it!"

Inquiring minds want to know!
post #741 of 25822 Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just a reminder, mostly for new users...

There was/is an editing bug some people used to run into in Dividing titles before making Scene Deletes (commercials, etc.). That editing sequence could cause freezing, esp. when the user's HDD was nearly full. The workaround was/is to first do the Scene Deletes, then Divide as the last step.

However, since the 3575/76 is so good at transitioning from one timer-set program to another, you really NEVER have to record two or more shows appearing on the SAME channel as one continuous program if you'd rather have them in separate titles.

You can set timer programs back-to-back on the same channel OR on multiple different channels when recording to the HDD and lose only the first 3-sec. of the 2nd, 3rd, etc. programs.

The HDD has a 3-sec. buffer that it has to write to disk (indicated by the chasing lines in the display) and, while it writes that buffer, the 3575/76 is switching to the next timer program (same or other channel) and starts recording immediately. You'll end up with separate titles and 1 extra sec on the lead show, then 3 sec less at the beginning of the next show(s).

If, however, you're a timeshifter and only record/watch/delete, no problem either way.
post #742 of 25822 Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up a DVDR3576H from the local Sam's Club this morning for $248.28 + tax. I was holding off until just after my credit card closing date in the unlikely event that there would be something unacceptable about the new unit. I now have 3 weeks to evaluate the unit, and if I should feel the need to return it, the charge and credit would fall in the same billing cycle.

I am OTA only, so I do not expect to detect any significant problems.

So far, I have not seen any significant differences.
The menus on my Feb 2008 DVDR3576H seem to be identical to the ones on my April 2007 DVDR3575H purchased from Walmart for $298 + tax on 5/29/2007.
The remotes are interchangeable. That's good if you feel the need for a spare, since you will only need one. That's bad if you hoped to stack one model on top of the other model, since both will react to the same remote commands.

I did try to do a title split/scene delete in the same way that failed on my DVDR3575H. I felt pretty comfortable since all the titles on the drive were test recordings. I recorded a 2 hour and 4 minute title that included 2 one hour programs. I did a title split at the start of the first program. Then I did a split at the end of the first program. Then I did a split at the start of the second program, and finally a split at the end of the second program. I did edit the names on the titles that contained program 1 and program 2. I then used scene delete to remove all the commercials in program 1 and program 2. Finally, I deleted the titles before program 1, between them, and after program 2. It all worked perfectly. The only thing I think I did differently from my experiment on my DVDR3575H was the renaming of the programs before I attempted the scene deletes. This is hardly conclusive, but they may have done some work on the bug. I will save them to a DVD as a final little test. [ I did make the DVD and it looked fine during a quick scan.]

The sensitivity of the Analog tuner is not impressive, but it appears to be the same as my DVDR3575H. I do not consider this to be an issue for me, since the analog stations are temporary for OTA. On the other hand, the digital tuner is more sensitive than the tuners in my Philips 42PF7320A TV and my Vizio VX32L TVs. Since I do not use the recorder as an STB and I almost use it exclusively to record OTA HD stations, the digital tuner is much more important to me.

The only clear difference I have noticed is cosmetic, and I don't have any problems with the old front panel or the new one.

If I do spot any significant differences, I will post a follow-up.
post #743 of 25822 Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Great report, Ken. I only wish you were an analog cable subscriber!
post #744 of 25822 Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 AM
OD3

Are there any differences between the 3575 and 3576?
post #745 of 25822 Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD3 View Post

Are there any differences between the 3575 and 3576?

The only obvious one so far is the color.

- kelson h

post #746 of 25822 Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 AM

Is there a way to format the HDD or does the "Delete All Titles" accomplish the same thing? I have a Panny E80 with the "Format" option that I use prior to the start of each TV season to clear the contents from the drive and reset pointers. I've read it's good to do this to avoid fragmentation problems.

Thank You,
RangerDave
post #747 of 25822 Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No Format on the HDD, just delete files and keep from being too full for editing, like title Divides along with Scene (commercial) Deletes.

Really don't *have to* use Divide just to get multiple shows in a row in separate titles... the biggest use for Divide.

The 3575/76 is excellent at timer rec back-to-back shows on same or different channels, losing only the first 3 sec of succeeeding shows after the first one.
post #748 of 25822 Old 04-30-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

REC STANDARDS, REC MODES, TIME REMAINING, HDD/DVD CAPACITIES

Index:
Notes
Recording Standards
Setting & Checking Rec Mode
Time Remaining (TR)
HDD Capacities
DVD Capacities
Encoder Basics

Notes

1. With your HDD, the "standard" times for each rec mode, like 2 hours for SP, don't apply like they do for a DVD. You can record to the HDD up to the max. single-title record time of 12 hours AT ANY REC MODE (11:59:59 to be exact).
  2. This DVDR's default rec mode can be automatically changed by a RTD from HDD>DVD at a different rec mode, so always check your default rec mode afterwards! A high-speed dub (HSD) doesn't change the default rec mode.

Go back to Index ...... Go to main list of help files

Recording Standards

All of these DVDRs compress video in MPEG-2 format and audio in Dolby 2.0 format (stereo). However, they use different video recording Standards.

The first 8 generations use the +VR recording Standard developed by the DVD+RW Alliance, of which Philips was a founding member. Once finalized, +VR discs are compatible with the standards used in other DVDRs and players.

The 9th-gen 557 uses the industry-standard Video and VR modes, like Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, etc.

The DVD Std requires all DVDs and DVD recorders to be standard definition (SD) 480i so they can only play and record SD 480i material. These DVDRs can produce a picture quality comparable to what you see on commercial DVD movies, assuming you record from an excellent source like a digital program on a digital channel. Most, but not all, of the programming on ESPN-HD, ABC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, NBC-HD. etc. will be an excellent source.

Setting & Checking Rec Mode

Before you start a real-time "manual" recording or copying on either the HDD or a DVD... one that you initiate with the REC button... make sure the DEFAULT rec mode is set for the quality/time you want for that recording... see HDD/DVD capacity charts below.

You can see what the DEFAULT rec mode is if you select the HDD drive while on live TV, then press the INFO/DISPLAY button until you see the the Title/Chapter playback icons at the top and xxhxxm numbers at the bottom right. Those numbers are the time remaining (TR) in hours:minutes at the default rec mode currently set, which is shown just above those numbers, e.g., "HDD SP" shows the default rec mode for the HDD is SP. The same indicators only show for the DVD drive when it is selected and there is a recordable DVD loaded.

You could also change the rec mode directly on live TV using the Rec Mode button. However, that forces you to press the button just to see its current setting and it's too sensitive... it quickly changes to next lower rec mode on 1st press. Using the Display menu allows you to see the current setting w/o pressing the Rec Mode button, but still allows you to change the rec mode there if desired.

When you set a DEFAULT mode, it applies to BOTH DRIVES and to all future recordings to either the HDD or a DVD that are NOT initiated by a menu. Rec modes for timer recording are set separately in their respective menus and only for that specific timer program... they don't change the DEFAULT rec mode.

It remains set until you change it OR you make a real-time dub (RTD) HDD>DVD with the dub menu at a different rec mode, which will reset the default rec mode for both drives to THAT mode.

Also, the rec mode text ("HQ," "SP" etc.) listed in an HDD title will transfer to the title of all dubbed copies whether you do a HSD or a RTD. Only changing the title in Edit can eliminate the rec mode indication.

Time Remaining (TR)

To see TR on the HDD or an unfinalized DVD:
While on any channel or a line input (nothing playing), press the INFO/DISPLAY button 2X or 3X until you see the screen with the search and playback icons at the top. Look in the bottom-right corner of that screen, which should show the rec-mode and TR in HH:MM. Number of presses varies with the machine, channel (analog/digital), and drive selected.

You can change to either drive while on this screen... an icon in the upper-right corner shows which drive you're currently viewing. If the DVD drive is selected, an unfinalized DVD must be loaded to see the default rec mode and the TR on that DVD.

Once on that screen, you can press the Rec Mode button to change rec modes and it will automatically change the TR for that rec mode on the selected drive.

HDD Capacities

Titles = 600 (999 on MDR 53x Series)
Chapters per Title = 99
Chapters per HDD = Unlimited (?)
Hours = See table below for approx. HDD capacities in hours. These are the "conservative" Funai numbers from the manuals.

RecMode 80G 160G 320G' 500G² 1TB²
1-hr-HQ 15 33 61 100 208
2-hr-SP 30 66 123 201 417
2½-hr-SPP 38 83 154 251 521
3-hr-LP 45 99 185 302 626
4-hr-EP 60 132 247 403 835
6-hr-SLP 90 198 371 604 1252
'Some replacement 300 and 320GB drives may be seen by FW as "non-std" and MAY format to ~250GB capacity, as reported by TimeLine62 and dfw515 here (3 posts).
²Largest usable capacity= 500GB on 2080/2160/2160A/513/515, 1TB on MDR53x Series, TBD on 557.

DVD Capacities

Titles per Disc = 49 (disc capacity is determined by total file size in MB, not number of titles)
Chapters per Title = 99
Chapters per Disc = 254
Hours = See table below for approx. capacities in H:MM:SS for a std single-layer (SL) DVD using real-time dub (RTD), high-speed dub (HSD), or real-time recording (RTR).

RecMode¹ RTDTime HSDTime² RTRTime³ Notes
1-hr-HQ 1:00:00 1:04:55 1:05:57 HSD only: 1:05:00 wouldn't fit.
2-hr-SP 2:00:00 2:10:00 2:10:15 HSD only: 2:08:00 for title w/36+ Scene Deletes (same for many edited clips).*
2½-hr-SPP 2:30:00 2:46:30 2:48:14
3-hr-LP 3:00:00 3:20:00 3:21.05
4-hr-EP 4:00:00 4:21:00 4:21:39
6-hr-SLP 6:00:00 5:41:00 6:16:33 HSD only: 5:41:18 wouldn't fit. HSD only: No single SLP title can be more than 4:59:59.
¹Rec mode of recorded titles to be dubbed (RTD or HSD), or Rec Mode you set for recording to DVD (RTR).
²End-cut only on HDD title(s), no internal cuts.
³Single direct manual rec to DVD till full, no edits.
*Based on my 36-cut NFL game @2-hr-SP, each mid-cut on HDD might subtract ~3.33 sec from SP 2:10:00 HSD Time? End-cuts have no effect.

More detailed info on these is given in this help file.

Encoder Basics

Our encoders use the MPEG-2 std to compress video into Groups of Pictures (GOP). Each GOP has only ONE real MPEG-2-compressed frame (an I-frame or "key" frame) but the rest are "virtualized," or predicted, based on inter-relationships to the other frames and a motion vector algorithm. Only the key frame is a real, 100% MPEG-2 picture, while the rest are 10-20% "virtual" pics based on the key frame, i.e., everything starts with the key frame.

As Wiki explains:

"MPEG-2 specifies that the raw frames be compressed into three kinds of frames: intra-coded frame (I-frame, aka "key" frame), predictive-coded frame (P-frame), and bidirectionally-predictive-coded frame (B-frame)."

That's why this DVDR has a 3-sec delay in writing to disc... the encoder is doing its very complicated work of producing GOPs in MPEG-2 format.

This DVDR is designed to encode GOPs at a variable bit rate centered around a user-selected quality setting. The quality setting is the rec mode, and the variability is based on video content and complexity, primarily at scene changes where it has to create a new key frame and work out the new virtual relationships. (Don't compare this to a comm. movie on DVD, which is produced in a diff. way [pressed] so scene transitions are smoother.)

This DVDR also does some amazing work in maintaining a "predictable" average bit rate for the user-selected rec mode no matter what types of scenes it encounters.

Contrary to popular opinion, motion by itself doesn't increase bit rate since that's handled by the motion vector algorithm (a math exercise). For example, repetitive and predictable action like cars racing around a track or zipping by a wall camera, recorded at 2-hr-SP, will encode at a LOWER bit rate than "normal" for that mode. On the other hand, drastic scene changes will SPIKE bit rate, such as going from a dark/black screen to a bright/white screen.... black = no video, white = full video... that's why screen saver is black.

Even so, this DVDR can encode both static/dynamic and dark/bright scenes, on the fly, to produce an average, predictable bit rate.

Last edited by wajo; 07-06-2014 at 08:42 AM.
post #749 of 25822 Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Funai, a large Japanese consumer-electronics company, is the most-likely manufacturer of the 3575 and 3576. I found a presentation on their FY2006 Financial Results (thru Mar 2007). Its pretty interesting.

It looks like Funai's DVD recorder business is its "star" so they might keep producing 52% or more of North America's DVD recorders for a few more years anyway?

Click here for the pdf file download (1.11MB).

Some stats from the report:

Market Share = 52% of North American market and 16% worldwide.

North American share of sales = 69.8%.

DVD-related-equipment results = DVD Recorders up 122.2% and other DVD-related areas down. Here's the chart:

"Launching Recorder with Digital Tuner" (the 3575?).

"Launching a digital STB (Terrestrial Digital STB and Digital Cable STB)"
post #750 of 25822 Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Funai, a large Japanese consumer-electrronics company, is the most-likely manufacturer of the 3575 and 3576.

Discs recorded in the 3575 are labeled "Funai" if you look at the UDF file system on the disc with ISOBuster.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page