Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 265 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

I'm getting ready to purchase a video stabilizer so I can copy some of my old VHS prerecorded tapes to DVD, and a few movies I have on the HHD of my Dish receiver, using my 3576. Has any of you Philips/Magnavox owners purchased this unit:http://home.roadrunner.com/~filter/? It's in a thread in the AVS forum "Which Video Stabilizer should I buy?" I'm just wondering of those members out there who have purchased a stabilizer, would you consider this unit as "overkill"? Specially after seeing a post in this thread about this unit:http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/ (I have run in to problems with copy protection, so I do need a stabilizer to proceed).
Please let me hear your opinions on this.

I was able to copy 9 of 14 1st run movies on VHS tape to HDD then DVD w/o a filter so, just to be sure you're not running into a situation I found while doing that, here's a tip in the help file on copying commercial movies:

"TIP: In doing this, I ran into a situation that could easily affect others who might try to copy old movies or anything from a VCR: if you left this DVDR on the DVD drive, like after playing a DVD or something, this DVDR doesn't auto-shift back to the HDD when you then want to copy/REC on the HDD, even if you turn it off then on again!

If you don't switch manually to the HDD, pressing the REC button after starting the DVD playing on the VCR will yield no response at all, and you might think this DVDR won't let you record that movie.

So, make sure you've selected the HDD BEFORE starting a copy from a VCR... or any external source, for that matter!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bit the bullet and ordered another machine from WalMart. It is supposed to be ready for pickup between 1/13 and 1/19.
post #7923 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With recent distractions I've not paid much attention to my 3576 that's set up for ATSC recording.

Every once in a while it's been my routine to power up the 3576, edit the "keepers," high-speed dub them to DVD and delete those recordings.

The other day it occured to me that it was about time to give attention to this task. When I checked the available hard drive recording time I found just 17 minutes left! The most recent two hour-long recording was found to have a black screen and choppy audio. Very quickly I began deleting titles followed by editing/dubbing some "keepers" and then deleting those titles. I've now got the available space back up to about 41 hours at the LP recording mode. Today I expect to do more editing/dubbing/deleting.

So far, so good.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7924 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Guys?

With regards to recordings that turn out to get "stuck" at some point, but will play to the end if you use chapter-jump to skip over the "stuck" spot...

Are we pretty well settled these situations mean there's a bad spot on the hard drive?

Are we also pretty well settled that if you use "title divide" to isolate the minute or two surrounding the "stuck spot" (and mark it as "do not delete" or something) that this will help avoid the problem in the future?

I did not 'keep' the 'bad spot' after doing the isolation down to a minute or two. Instead, I dubbed anything I wanted to keep or view later, and did the SKIP 079(?) that reformats the whole disk and scans for errors. [Don't have the codes memorized and hope I never do...]
Since then, I have had no re-occurrence of the problem. Unless these disks have LOTS of hours, and I mean in the 10's of thousands, they are unlikely to develop bad spots. Statistically [yes, lies, damn lies and statistics...] they won't go bad for a normal span of the life of the machine. I still have drives that are over 15 years old that haven't developed any bad spots. Back when a 1G disk was BIG, and cost over $100, I replaced a 1992 200M Seagate in a Packard Bell 486DX33 factory equipped with 4M of memory, I'd say in 94, and it still works.
FWIW, I think the software can sometimes overload the CPU doing the signal decode, digitize and disk shuffling, or the tuner is getting a degraded signal that causes the decoder to synch, re-synch, etc and throw away some of the signal, so that it loses track of what it should be writing, or what it was supposed to write. I think the blocks are allocated, but the signal that was digitized has some sort of 'endless loop' that the DAC[digital to analog] chip can't figure out. If memory is working, I think I have waited for what seemed like ages, and it eventually went on to the next 'block' in the recording. I think that it gets lost, more or less, in the data. However, opinions are free, and are worth every penny you pay for them.
tom
post #7925 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
I would love to see the ability to add an external hard drive with an eSATA & USB 2.0 interface to the wish list. It would be great to take an external Hard drive to another H2160 or just have more space to record in HD
post #7926 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmathias View Post

I would love to see the ability to add an external hard drive with an eSATA & USB 2.0 interface to the wish list. It would be great to take an external Hard drive to another H2160 or just have more space to record in HD

Already been done, as described in #5 and #12 here.

However, can't record in HD... SD only with any DVD recorder.
post #7927 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys?

With regards to recordings that turn out to get "stuck" at some point, but will play to the end if you use chapter-jump to skip over the "stuck" spot...

Are we pretty well settled these situations mean there's a bad spot on the hard drive?

Are we also pretty well settled that if you use "title divide" to isolate the minute or two surrounding the "stuck spot" (and mark it as "do not delete" or something) that this will help avoid the problem in the future?

Since I've had only rare occurences of "stuck" recordings, most of which came from my own sloppy editing procedures, I've not determined that there are bad sectors on my hard drives.

In those instances, isolation and retention of "stuck" portions of recordings has been my practice. You and others, myself included, had come to that conclusion before our November discussions of these matters.

Wajo had mentioned the SKIP 013 procedure that gives a report of a hard drive's condition (and also deletes all the hard drive recordings). I've been unwilling to do that.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #7928 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I creeped myself out - went down to 0 space on the HDD (by accident). But ... all is well. I deleted some programs and everything's ok. Have I said recently how much I love these 2160s
post #7929 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I was able to copy 9 of 14 1st run movies on VHS tape to HDD then DVD w/o a filter so, just to be sure you're not running into a situation I found while doing that, here's a tip in the help file on copying commercial movies:

"TIP: In doing this, I ran into a situation that could easily affect others who might try to copy old movies or anything from a VCR: if you left this DVDR on the DVD drive, like after playing a DVD or something, this DVDR doesn't auto-shift back to the HDD when you then want to copy/REC on the HDD, even if you turn it off then on again!

If you don't switch manually to the HDD, pressing the REC button after starting the DVD playing on the VCR will yield no response at all, and you might think this DVDR won't let you record that movie.

So, make sure you've selected the HDD BEFORE starting a copy from a VCR... or any external source, for that matter!"

Wajo,
Thanks for that tip. I will pay closer attention to switching to HDD the next time I try to copy something. What did you do with the 5 that wouldn't copy?
Happy New Year!
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #7930 of 25741 Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wajo,
Thanks for that tip. I will pay closer attention to switching to HDD the next time I try to copy something. What did you do with the 5 that wouldn't copy?

The 5 with hard-copy protection are still uncopied... Disney and ET. While we still have those ancient tape-things, we just use them for playback when needed.
post #7931 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #7932 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Magnavox H2160MW9 A Question

When watching over the air DTV, I'd like to occasionally erase (flush buffer) so the 6 hour buffer hard drive does not fill up.

On the old Phillips HDRW 720/17, I press Menu, then scroll down to and press Setup, then scroll down to and press Flush Buffer. Then a Yes or No prompt appears to allow flushing the buffer.

How do I do the same thing quickly on the Magnavox H2160MW9 A ?

I'm still trying to figure out the Phillips and compared to that, the Magnavox manual looks like a Doctoral Dissertation. Thank you
post #7933 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeShift View Post

Magnavox H2160MW9 A Question

When watching over the air DTV, I'd like to occasionally erase (flush buffer) so the 6 hour buffer hard drive does not fill up.

On the old Phillips HDRW 720/17, I press Menu, then scroll down to and press Setup, then scroll down to and press Flush Buffer. Then a Yes or No prompt appears to allow flushing the buffer.

How do I do the same thing quickly on the Magnavox H2160MW9 A ?

I'm still trying to figure out the Phillips and compared to that, the Magnavox manual looks like a Doctoral Dissertation. Thank you

Set the 2160A on Source L3 (DV) with Source button on remote, which clears the buffer and stops it while on that L3 input.

That's also the simple workaround for avoiding the E19 Finalize/Format/Erase bug.

As you prob. already know, the buffer really doesn't "fill up" as in "has no more room" but just deletes the earliest minutes as it continues recording in the background.
post #7934 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Thank you wajo and Happy New Year, Worked like a charm! I wanted to know how the Pros do it.

On the Phillips HDRW 720/17 switching to CAM seems to also do the same thing, so I should have guessed. But using this method, I lose sight of the main program/viewing screen as I navigate through inputs.

I was hoping the H2160MW9 A would have the same way to flush buffer with a simple and fast on screen menu, so I could continue watching live action without missing any screen viewing.
post #7935 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:

The J&R refurbs are back, $159.99!

Happy New Year
post #7936 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM

While it's still January 1st, 2010, I'd like to take the opportunity to wish everyone on the forum a Happy New Year.

Now, all I want during this year is a new job and a new H2500MW10 to make my year!
post #7937 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Happy New Year, everyone. I thought I'd get going on the resolution to clean off the HDD, but was wondering what the consequences are to not doing it the way listed in Wajo's instructions.

DELETE OR DUB TITLES TO DVD, LAST-IN-FIRST-OUT (LIFO)!

Presumably doing it the other way will create a more fragmented drive, but with some content (news, for example) it makes sense to get rid of oldest first. Just wondering if this is worth worrying about , or if deleting what you don't need and making room is still better than waiting til you've seen them all and running the risk of overfilling the drive to the point that you'll have trouble editing. I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "DO IT THE WAY WAJO SAID" but figured I'd ask, anyway I guess the solution, if you do delete old to new would be to eventually reformat and start over at some point. (that will 'clean' things up , or does the drive stay fragmented?)
post #7938 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Happy New Year, everyone. I thought I'd get going on the resolution to clean off the HDD, but was wondering what the consequences are to not doing it the way listed in Wajo's instructions.

DELETE OR DUB TITLES TO DVD, LAST-IN-FIRST-OUT (LIFO)!

Presumably doing it the other way will create a more fragmented drive, but with some content (news, for example) it makes sense to get rid of oldest first. Just wondering if this is worth worrying about , or if deleting what you don't need and making room is still better than waiting til you've seen them all and running the risk of overfilling the drive to the point that you'll have trouble editing. I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be "DO IT THE WAY WAJO SAID" but figured I'd ask, anyway I guess the solution, if you do delete old to new would be to eventually reformat and start over at some point. (that will 'clean' things up , or does the drive stay fragmented?)

Yesterday, after discovering that I had nearly filled up my 3576 hard drive with only 17 minutes to spare, I deleted a bunch of non-keeper recordings from old to new in order to bring the free time up to around 41 LP hours. I'm just reporting what I did, not that this is the best approach to the problem.

Today I've been editing, dubbing and deleting hard drive recordings from the newest working back to the oldest. At the moment the 3576 hard drive has around 65 LP hours open with two more movies to dub and delete before shutting down for the night.

Again, I'm just reporting what I did, with some urgency, as I've scheduled this 3576, and a 2160, to alternate recording blocks of Encore Western Channel's Have Gun, Will Travel 24 hour mini-marathon beginning at midnight tonight (about two hours from now) through midnight tomorrow night when there begins a Gunsmoke 24 hour mini-marathon. I've also deleted some previously edited and dubbed recordings from the 2160 hard drive.

post #7939 of 25741 Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

While it's still January 1st, 2010, I'd like to take the opportunity to wish everyone on the forum a Happy New Year.

Now, all I want during this year is a new job and a new H2500MW10 to make my year!

Stump, best of luck to you with a new job
post #7940 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Again, I'm just reporting what I did, with some urgency, as I've scheduled this 3576, and a 2160, to alternate recording blocks of Encore Western Channel's Have Gun, Will Travel [emphasis mine] 24 hour mini-marathon beginning at midnight tonight (about two hours from now) through midnight tomorrow night when there begins a Gunsmoke 24 hour mini-marathon. I've also deleted some previously edited and dubbed recordings from the 2160 hard drive.

24 hours of Paladin? Wow! I haven't seen that show since its initial broadcast go-round on the family's B/W TV way back when.
post #7941 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

24 hours of Paladin? Wow! I haven't seen that show since its initial broadcast go-round on the family's B/W TV way back when.

Just be glad you don't have "Smellavision" when watching Paladin... I was at a taping once and he smelled like a horse run hard!
post #7942 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

"'Have gun, will travel' reads the card of a man. A knight without armor in a savage land..."
post #7943 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just be glad you don't have "Smellavision" when watching Paladin... I was at a taping once and he smelled like a horse run hard!

A taping...

Hmmm...

Wasn't that show FILMED?
post #7944 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Magnavox H 2160MW9 A Question

Can any of you pick up channel numbers: 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc. on your Magnavox H 2160MW9 A ?

I have 4 short cables running off the same over the air antenna. All located in the same area, the 2 DTVs and a cheap converter box can all get the 1.1 etc. but so far, I've had zero luck with the new Magnavox.

I'm not sure if it's a local reception issue, maybe I need to try a signal box amplifier or if the Magnavox has a channel block and can't accept anything lower than channel number 2.

I saw some DTV antennas advertised that said they picked up stations from 2 to up in the 69 range. Could it be they and this Magnavox really don't pick up 1.1 and up? Thank you
post #7945 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I find it hard to believe that any channels in your area are using the virtual channel number "1".

In the U.S. "channel 1" was gotten rid of years ago, the frequency of the real channel being used for non-TV purposes.

Can't see any OTA channel suddenly using the virtual channel number "1".

Can you tell me in private message what area of the country you live in and what the call letters are for that channel? I'm curious.
post #7946 of 25741 Old 01-02-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that any channels in your area are using the virtual channel number "1".

In the U.S. "channel 1" was gotten rid of years ago, the frequency of the real channel being used for non-TV purposes.

Can't see any OTA channel suddenly using the virtual channel number "1".

Can you tell me in private message what area of the country you live in and what the call letters are for that channel? I'm curious.

USA

Did some research and 1 is also broadcast on 42. But reception of 1 on 42 is tricky and confuses the Magnavox mixing up the channels on the unit.

So for now, I can't enter 42.7 or 42.1 on the remote and get there directly like other stations.

When 42.7 or 42.1 etc., is entered, I wait a while and cycle it through using the + and - channel controls on the Magnavox remote and hope to get there that way.

Unfortunately 1 is the only station playing Westerns, Three Stooges and other programing of that type over the air for free.

I'll have to do a test, set a timer recording and see if the Magnavox will home in correctly on the channel to tape the Three Stooges on 42.7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAXT-CA

Digital Channel Programming
1.1 The Cool TV
1.2 Que Huong
1.3 Tiempos Finales
1.4 Bahia TV
1.5 Diya TV
1.6 Colours
1.7 My Family TV
1.8 I2TV
1.9 Corner Store
1.10 Coastal Television Network
1.11 Jewelry Television
1.12 I2TV

There is also a thread here, I'll check it out,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=17717819
post #7947 of 25741 Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Wajo,
First, Happy New Year! Second, I just made my made my first DVD on my 3576 and I want to thank you for your very detailed instructions on editing and dubbing. You made it so simple to do. I had recorded PBS's Andrea Bocelii's My Christmas off of Dish, and (with your great help) I was able to create a great opening scene,and edit out all the "pledge requests". The only problem I ran into was 2 of my middle edits that faded to black, fell prey to the HSD frame problem you wrote about (but for my first time, I'm OK with it).
I do have one question for you. I was using Sony's DVDR+. I was able to delete the blank titles by using your "overwrite" procedure, but I'm not sure if I finalized my disc. This is where I'm confused. I think it's finalized, because I don't see any prompt for finalizing it, but I'm not sure I'm bringing up the right menu on screen. Can you walk me through the finalization steps please?
Thanks!
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #7948 of 25741 Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wajo,
First, Happy New Year! Second, I just made my made my first DVD on my 3576 and I want to thank you for your very detailed instructions on editing and dubbing. You made it so simple to do. I had recorded PBS's Andrea Bocelii's My Christmas off of Dish, and (with your great help) I was able to create a great opening scene,and edit out all the "pledge requests". The only problem I ran into was 2 of my middle edits that faded to black, fell prey to the HSD frame problem you wrote about (but for my first time, I'm OK with it).
I do have one question for you. I was using Sony's DVDR+. I was able to delete the blank titles by using your "overwrite" procedure, but I'm not sure if I finalized my disc. This is where I'm confused. I think it's finalized, because I don't see any prompt for finalizing it, but I'm not sure I'm bringing up the right menu on screen. Can you walk me through the finalization steps please?

Glad to hear of your progress with your 3576!

On the Finalizing, you can first check to see if the disc is Finalized by loading it then arrow up from the 1st title, which brings up a disc status menu showing its Finalize status.

If it's not Finalized, open the Disc Edit menu and select Finalize.
post #7949 of 25741 Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 AM

I just repalced my original WD 160 GB HD with the recommended Segate ST3500418AS that just happened to be on sale at Fry's Electronics for $44.00. Replacing the HDD was simple following instructions in aggregate by those listed in this thread. I would reccommend using the 2.5 inch drive because finding room for the SATA converter is not so simple. Finding a local Female to Male IDE Ribbon cable in now nearly impossible. I will most likely need to mailorder from HK off of EBay. The Seagate drive is about .25 inches lower than the OEM WD so cables can be folded and double stick taped to the top. The biggest issue I noticed was that the PATA / SATA Converters are all F to M and the recommended board converting the STB mini cable to the standard 40 pin F socket sets up taller than the interior of the box. The extension cable is a must and the board containing the socket is still a tight fit. I would reccommned finding a PATA HD is you want ease of installation or go with the 2.5 inch drive to simplify the project.

I like to record in HQ and and after formatting the HD I get 105 hours and 30 minutes and as Tri-Triodes states I seem to be getting better recording image quality.
post #7950 of 25741 Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmodel View Post

I just repalced my original WD 160 GB HD with the recommended Segate ST3500418AS that just happened to be on sale at Fry's Electronics for $44.00. Replacing the HDD was simple following instructions in aggregate by those listed in this thread. I would reccommend using the 2.5 inch drive because finding room for the SATA converter is not so simple. Finding a local Female to Male IDE Ribbon cable in now nearly impossible. I will most likely need to mailorder from HK off of EBay. The Seagate drive is about .25 inches lower than the OEM WD so cables can be folded and double stick taped to the top. The biggest issue I noticed was that the PATA / SATA Converters are all F to M and the recommended board converting the STB mini cable to the standard 40 pin F socket sets up taller than the interior of the box. The extension cable is a must and the board containing the socket is still a tight fit. I would reccommned finding a PATA HD is you want ease of installation or go with the 2.5 inch drive to simplify the project.

I like to record in HQ and and after formatting the HD I get 105 hours and 30 minutes and as Tri-Triodes states I seem to be getting better recording image quality.

Good job!

You're now #13 in the list of "Pioneers" here... check it out to make sure I got it right?

If you need to change your post or update it, please do it in that post so people have only one place to go for info on your upgrade.

On the SATA Adapter, I'm wondering if there are other ones that don't stick up too high for the case, or even if mounting the HDD upside down would alleviate that situation.

There's lots of info on mounting HDDs upside down, with a couple of posts here making the point that modern HDDs have heads mounted on top AND bottom of the platters, so one is ALWAYS "upside down."

Your suggestion for using 2.5" drives is also good, not only for size but also for much lower heat and power usage.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page