Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 278 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8311 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

so, speaking of power outages...

there's a big storm heading this way, and I'm hoping to retain as much of the recorded content on my 2160As as I can. I do not have a UPS, but they're plugged into 'surge protectors'. UPS (it's my understanding ) dont last for very long anyway, so wouldn't really help survive a longer outage, it would just help you shut down more gracefully. Am I right in thinking that content ALREADY recorded on to the hard drives will remain intact, even after power outage,

Sure, you can relax. What's written to the HDD stays there. After all you don't lose your data when you shut down your PC, right. And what about those guys who use an external docking bay for HDD's. Extended "power failure" and the data is all there when they plug it back in.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8312 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7L View Post

Question: Do OTA recordings to HDD output Dolby Digital from the coax terminal on playback or only DVD disk playback?
Richard

Only DVD's with a recorded 5.1 sound track play back with 5.1 sound as they would with an ordinary DVD player. All DVD recorders convert all audio received through the tuner to 2.0 before recording or monitoring. Only HD-DVR's record/playback 5.1 audio.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8313 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

there's a big storm heading this way, and I'm hoping to retain as much of the recorded content on my 2160As as I can. I do not have a UPS, but they're plugged into 'surge protectors'. UPS (it's my understanding ) dont last for very long anyway, so wouldn't really help survive a longer outage, it would just help you shut down more gracefully. Am I right in thinking that content ALREADY recorded on to the hard drives will remain intact, even after power outage, and that all that would be lost in a black out (or white out!) would be time /date settings, preferences, and timer recording settings? I'm trying to decide if I should leave these machines connected but turned OFF, so as to not trigger any unexpected shutdown issues, and maybe just take my chances with one machine left 'active' during the storm. Maybe worrying unnecessarily ... it would be nice to be able to use all the tv and video in the igloo ... but if it might be jeopardizing them, I can live with just one. Thoughts?

Have any of you lost recorded HD content during a power outage? The scanning and setting losses I can deal with but I'm looking at a few almost full hard drives...

I have a UPS on my computer good for 20 minutes. I have a UPS on my bedroom system (that does some recording) which lasts for 12 hours if nothing is turned on (my Sony DVR still draws 40 watts on standby).

My main entertainment system has a 2000VA APC UPS with extra battery connected. I have watched TV for 90 minutes on battery. The power used just to watch TV is about 400 watts not including a sub-woofer on a regular outlet. What I did was convert my house into an RV.

You should not lose anything on the hard disk if the power fails. You may lose your lineup (channels). I also have a 2.5kw inverter hooked to a very large deep cycle marine battery (70 pounds) that could be used to recharge the UPS. And I could recharge the battery from my car. Last 12 hour outage I had caused me to lose my Sony's lineup after the UPS ran out. That's all. If you are curious what a device needs during a power failure, there's a meter called a Kill-A-Watt that measures power consumption in real time and can also give you daily usage. It's a really nice item.

I'm not a survivalist, but I lived in California during the scheduled outages. That got me started on this road. Where I live now there is about one (small) power outage per month. The local supplier has told us that ANY power outage could last for a MINIMUM of 5 minutes so they can check the lines. I have a smart electric meter so they know when power fails.

A UPS doesn't last forever. I got my last unit, 600VA CyberPower, mainly since it has a display of relevant data that doesn't need a computer to monitor. It also has 4 surge and 4 battery supplied outlets. The outlet spacing is good for those little power supplies feeding routers and other low voltage devices. I sleep better with the knowledge that if the power goes out I can live comfortably, watch TV, and drink some wine until power comes back. Since my microwave is not on a backup, I can tell if there has been a power failure if I'm at work. My oven has an analog clock, so I can tell how long power was out.
post #8314 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Question: Do OTA recordings to HDD output Dolby Digital from the coax terminal on playback or only DVD disk playback?
Richard

The D2160 is SD. I have never seen 5.1 except on High Def channels. I don't have OTA though. Even watching an HD channel only lets DD stereo come out the coax. Such is my experience - my JVC receiver could be wrong. When recording HD on my old Sony DVR I do get 5.1 on playback from its hard drive. Awesome sound. Best demo of audio is (IMHO) CSI:Miami. Best video too. But a DVD or HDD recording on this device is stereo only from the coax.
post #8315 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

You're wrong. When a situation affects how we can use our machines, it's entirely on topic to discuss such things so that other users can know about problems they might also run into down the road.

Next time my power goes off, I'll make sure to let everyone know about it. I wouldn't want you to forget that you lose your programming when the power is cut.

Quote:

I find it odd that one or two people (who usually don't say much here anyway) think it's their place to tell a bunch of others (who ARE regular contributors) what is or isn't on topic.

Some of us don't have a huge post count because we don't feel the need to shoot off our mouths at regular intervals, perhaps learning more from reading rather than pontificating. If you want more posts, I'll be glad to give you a daily report on how my machine is working.

Quote:

Like having a neighbor come into your home and tell you what you can or can't have in the way of furnishings.

People who don't post much aren't neighbors, they are roommates. Some of us are just getting tired of a few cable users leaving crap all over the floor.
post #8316 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Only DVD's with a recorded 5.1 sound track play back with 5.1 sound as they would with an ordinary DVD player. All DVD recorders convert all audio received through the tuner to 2.0 before recording or monitoring. Only HD-DVR's record/playback 5.1 audio.

Thanks Kelson and Joe.
The question was about HDD audio output not DVD and of course not all DD is 5.1 The manual seems to indicate that the coaxial output is a DVD setting whether is it is PCM or bitstream. So the question remains: Is there an output from coaxial (DD 2.0) from OTA recordings to HDD or not? Joe's experience is Yes the PCM variety. But if the entire bitstream is recorded and then played back via the digital cable, the AVR should be able to decode the Dolby but not DTS.

There is a clue, but not definitive answer, in the manual Playback Settings in the warning about "Playing back HDD/DVD using incorrect settings may generate noise distortion ... etc."

So if you are not using the DVR to playback commercial DVDs then there is not much point in attaching a coaxial digital cable from the DVR to the AVR.
Thanks.
Richard
post #8317 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

UPS (it's my understanding ) dont last for very long anyway, so wouldn't really help survive a longer outage, it would just help you shut down more gracefully.

Just FYI ... I have a CyberPower 685 UPS with 3 Maggies plugged into it. The longest power outage I've had since getting it has been 2 1/2 hours and it kept them powered up BUT they were in stand-by mode. I've haven't had the power go out yet when they were actually recording so I have no idea how long it will last when in use.
post #8318 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Kelson and Joe.

So if you are not using the DVR to playback commercial DVDs then there is not much point in attaching a coaxial digital cable from the DVR to the AVR.
Thanks.
Richard

In general, if it sounds better, then do it. Could be that a coax input to your AVR is processed better. An AVR is probably more complicated than this DVR. I'm still too scared of my Sony STR-2400ES to hook it up.
post #8319 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins View Post

THIS is on topic???? That was the entire post.

It was/is a rant/joke! Geez, cmon, if, as human beings, we can't show humor sometimes then it's time to find another venue to get your info. I often use humorous ranting/joking to get a serious point across in a funny way cause that's the kind of guy I am!

Alot of people detest Cable companies, I don't detest them, but I hate their frickin greedy guts, that's why last october, I bought a Wineguard Square shooter hdtv antenna, ($69) mounted that sucka in de attic and am now, in the Seattle Washington area, getting 35 digital channels, most in HD for FREE.

BTW, have you met Tom??
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #8320 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Amen!

I tried to keep quiet on this but others keep fanning Bob's flame... which also flared up the exact same way back in October, with the same long series of senseless bickering.

Please don't fan the flames... there's no point or purpose!

Sorry Wajo, but I'm afraid flamers are just a fact of life!
Did that come out right????
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #8321 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:

there's a big storm heading this way, and I'm hoping to retain as much of the recorded content on my 2160As as I can. I do not have a UPS, but they're plugged into 'surge protectors'. UPS (it's my understanding ) dont last for very long anyway, so wouldn't really help survive a longer outage, it would just help you shut down more gracefully. Am I right in thinking that content ALREADY recorded on to the hard drives will remain intact, even after power outage, and that all that would be lost in a black out (or white out!) would be time /date settings, preferences, and timer recording settings? I'm trying to decide if I should leave these machines connected but turned OFF, so as to not trigger any unexpected shutdown issues, and maybe just take my chances with one machine left 'active' during the storm. Maybe worrying unnecessarily ... it would be nice to be able to use all the tv and video in the igloo ... but if it might be jeopardizing them, I can live with just one. Thoughts?

Have any of you lost recorded HD content during a power outage? The scanning and setting losses I can deal with but I'm looking at a few almost full hard drives...

Artwire, look at this ups:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ECO...5319543&sr=8-4
I just received mine yesterday and 1)for the $ it has excellent specs 2)is very efficient in it's everyday power requirements, and will, if you turned everything connected to it off, probably keep the Maggy recording for maybe a hour or two. I don't know right off the top of my head what the power usage is when the Maggy's on and recording or playing, but it cant be more than a few watts, like 35 or 40. And if you werent recording on the Maggy when a black out happened, then you could watch a bit more tv or radio until the battery gives. I've got an older tripp lite ups rated at 500watts and shocking to me, as a test the other day, it kept my 52" tv playing for 12 Minutes before it ran out of juice! Not bad for a ups barely taller than 9" and 3" wide!!
Hope that gives some help!!
Me Best,
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #8322 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

After losing some difficult-to-replace recordings during storms, I picked up a low-end UPS from Staples on sale for $20 to use with my 3576. Naturally, I haven't needed it yet but hopefully it will get me through the typical 5-min outage from a nearby lightning strike. Staples advertised the unit again for Black Friday, but it was the only product they ran out of before I got there! I think the regular price is around $40.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #8323 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:

there's a big storm heading this way, and I'm hoping to retain as much of the recorded content on my 2160As as I can. ...

artwire - 24" of "wet" snow heading your way is not a big storm - it is a gigantic storm

I have not lost anything off my 2160A HDD during power outages

Doug
post #8324 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mac View Post

artwire - 24" of "wet" snow heading your way is not a big storm - it is a gigantic storm

Doug

Oh, I should have added that the 3576 wasn't affected except for the recording in progress when the power went out, and even that recording was saved up to the point of power loss (I assume the short built-in backup handled closing the file). No effect at all on previously recorded HDD content...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #8325 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mac View Post

Doug

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the good advice on UPS and the model suggestions. I didn't really express my earlier question well -- I realize titles will remain on hard drive once recorded if it's turned off, but I was wondering whether the "standby" mode of the 2160 sufficiently 'shuts down' the recorder to prevent the kind of damage you sometimes get on computer drives (the only kind I'm really familiar with) when the power is interrupted while they're on. Even though the content is still recorded on the HD, if the directory is munged, you can no longer access the files without repairing the volume bitmap, etc. Presumably that's the kind of thing that could hose a harddrive if the power goes out while recording, too, so it's reassuring to hear that others have only lost the currently recording title (or none at all) in similar circumstances.

A UPS , if only to ensure gentler shutdowns, sounds like a really good idea. We dont usually have power problems, so I never thought I needed one. Probably too late now, so a preemptive full shutdown of "extra" equipment might be the best bet.

Thanks again - great advice!
post #8326 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've had several power outages since I've had my 3575, with no ill effects.
post #8327 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Kelson and Joe.
The question was about HDD audio output not DVD and of course not all DD is 5.1 The manual seems to indicate that the coaxial output is a DVD setting whether is it is PCM or bitstream. So the question remains: Is there an output from coaxial (DD 2.0) from OTA recordings to HDD or not? Joe's experience is Yes the PCM variety. But if the entire bitstream is recorded and then played back via the digital cable, the AVR should be able to decode the Dolby but not DTS.

There is a clue, but not definitive answer, in the manual Playback Settings in the warning about "Playing back HDD/DVD using incorrect settings may generate noise distortion ... etc."

Thanks.
Richard

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are getting at. You had me thrown there for a while because I thought your reference to coax meant the Rf connection. Now I see you mean the DAO. So let me try it this way.

Anything the DVDR records to either the HDD or direct to disk is recorded as 2.0 audio -- that's what the tuner stage outputs, only 2.0 audio. Anything the DVDR plays back from the HDD or a disk that was recorded on it is 2.0 audio. What is recorded to HDD (or disk) is a digital bitstream for the 2.0 audio. If you connect your DVDR to your AVR via DAO, you are sending the AVR the bitstream and the AVR will use it's DAC's to convert the audio to analog for the speakers. If you connect your DVDR to your AVR via L/R stereo cables, you are using the DAC in the DVDR to convert the audio to analog before sending it to the AVR's analog inputs.

If you were to tell me that it sounds better when you have your DVDR connected to the AVR via DAO, I would not be surprised one bit. The AVR (assuming it's something decent) is bound to have much higher quality DAC's (probably multiple DAC's) than what's in the DVDR. After all, it's specifically built to process sound. I have all my components feeding my Onkyo AVR with digital sound, via DAO or HDMI. The lone exception is a vintage CD player which was made for playing music and has it's own set of high quality DAC's. That one feeds the Onkyo with a fat pair of L/R stereo cables.

- kelson h

post #8328 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 10:47 PM

I already have two 3576s i found a posting on a Bing cashback search where they were giving 20% cashback on certain items. I purchased a Magnavox H2160 and got cashback from Bing of $45.40. I used search for Visio TVs.
post #8329 of 26568 Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Forgot to mention I bought the 2160 from Walmart with 20% cashback.
post #8330 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I measured my Walmart D2160 (160gb) with a Kill-A-Watt. These are my readings.

Line voltage 119.0
PF .60
4 watts in standby with dim clock display
40 watt surge when powered on
22 watts when running (38VA)

After turning off, it takes five seconds before drive powers down. Comparison is my Sony 250gb HD recorder that uses 40 watts in standby and 42 watts running.
post #8331 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry if I should post this someplace special. I'll have to let Master wajo decide that.

Bought a not-new (pulled from new, $59) Hatachi DeskStar P7K500 (HDP725050GLA360) from eBay. Bought the IDE to SATA adapter from post #1 too. On my unit, latest from Walmart, you don't need the adapter. Drive MPN 0A35415.

Pulled the plug and took unit to kitchen table. I also bought a PoziDrive #0 to #3 set on eBay that fit an existing handle (about $6). The #2 bit is like a #1 Phillips.

Case comes off easy. Ground strap pops up from the drive. Seems that my drive is already SATA, so no adapter was needed. Big Tip: DON'T try to remove the drive connector yet. Three roundhead screws hold the drive to the motherboard. Remove them FIRST. Now lift the drive, then remove the connector. If you need to rest the drive cradle down to pull the plug, have a rag or towel ready so to not place it on the motherboard.

Now you have a drive in a cradle with four flathead screws plus the ground spring. Here's where I ran into my only problems. First, one of the bottom screws was too tight or glued into its location for the PoziTool. Same for the ground spring. The ground spring could be coaxed by bending the metal itself and rotating it to start the screw. I could save it and the screw.

The one bottom screw was bad. I had to drill the head off. Just do it away from the unit to avoid shavings being sprayed into the motherboard.

Put the new drive on its back, then put the cradle on top and fasten the bottom screws. Be sure the cradle tail hole is at the connector end. Then screw back the ground spring and bend it back up. Next, as you are about to put it back on the motherboard, plug in the SATA connector. Lay the unit down and let the index marks line up for the left & right screws. Replace the three cradle screws. Inside is now done. Replace cover with its black screws. Do the back first, then the two on the side.

Plugged it in. No fire. Turned it on. Still no fire. I lost my clock & schedule but not my channels. That saved a lot of time. I ran the (V.)Skip 079 and it looked happy except for the message:

"This System is Unconstruction of the File System"

Ok, it wasn't programmed locally. All tests passed so I hit OK to format. That took about a second and the unit turned off. I turned it back on and hit the red record button and let it go for a minute. Then I hit the stop button.
Then I powered it off. Note: I could not measure any increase in power consumption or hear any noise increase. Turned back on and hit titles. There was my recording! Cool. When I went to schedule a recording, the HQ time showed 103hr25m. I can live with that.
post #8332 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Joe, you're not in our list of Pioneers yet, so I'll add you to that list and link to your post above, which will be a great help to other upgraders.

if you need to make changes or additions, just edit that post above so all info will be in one place for people to see when clicking the link in the "project summary" I write for every Pioneer.

Thanks for posting this valuable info!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #8333 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Now you have a drive in a cradle with four flathead screws plus the ground spring. Here's where I ran into my only problems. First, one of the bottom screws was too tight or glued into its location for the PoziTool. Same for the ground spring. The ground spring could be coaxed by bending the metal itself and rotating it to start the screw. I could save it and the screw.

The one bottom screw was bad. I had to drill the head off. Just do it away from the unit to avoid shavings being sprayed into the motherboard.

Put the new drive on the cradle and fasten the bottom screws. Be sure the cradle tail hole is at the connector end. Then screw back the ground spring and bend it back up. Next, as you are about to put it back on the motherboard, plug in the SATA connector. Lay the unit down and let the index marks line up for the left & right screws. Replace the three cradle screws. Inside is now done. Replace cover with its black screws. Do the back first, then the two on the side.

Plugged it in. No fire. Turned it on. Still no fire. I lost my clock & schedule but not my channels. That saved a lot of time. I ran the (V.)Skip 079 and it looked happy except for the message:

"This System is Unconstruction of the File System"

Ok, it wasn't programmed locally. All tests passed so I hit OK to format. That took about a second and the unit turned off. I turned it back on and hit the red record button and let it go for a minute. Then I hit the stop button.
Then I powered it off. Note: I could not measure any increase in power consumption or hear any noise increase. Turned back on and hit titles. There was my recording! Cool. When I went to schedule a recording, the HQ time showed 103hr25m. I can live with that.

This is exactly the kind of explicit detail I was hoping for! Very very helpful, thanks, Joe! Not sure I'd have known what to do when it came to stuff like 'drill the head off ' or the "This system is unconstruction of the file system!" My hat's off to you and the other pioneers!
post #8334 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Bought a not-new (pulled from new, $59) Hatachi DeskStar P7K500 (HDP725050GLS360) from eBay.

I hope the "GLS" is a typo cuz couldn't find such an animal in Hitachi site or www Google search. Others in that series are "GLA" ? ? ?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #8335 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM

After a year and a half of flawless operation, I've started having a problem with my Philips 3576. It has started to produce a high pitched progressively louder hum when in operation.
It started two weeks ago. I was watching a commercially recorded dvd and stopped playback to watch a few minutes of a show through the tuner. The noise got so loud that I ejected the disk and shut off the machine. When I shut the machine off there's a rapid eeeerooop sound in descending pitch in addition to the usual 20 seconds or so of low pitched hum.
I tried unplugging the machine overnight; that seemed to fix it for about a week, but now the problem is back. I've tried tapping the housing and repositioning the machine. (The house is cool and there's plenty of air circulation around the machine.) It can show up whenever I use the machine, even just watching through the tuner, not playing back or recording in any way. Sometimes it (the high pitched whine) just suddenly stops for no apparent reason.
The only unusual things that I've done with it recently are burn a disk from material from the HDD (which I'd never done before - and seemed to go just fine) about three weeks before this started, and recording a show from the analog tuner (which I've done before but not recently). Apart from this, all its functions seem to be working exactly as they should. I'm stumped.
I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried using search but got nowhere.
post #8336 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When you get the noise, tap on fan on back of machine and try pressing down on back center of case, then near the fan. These might tell you it's the fan acting up? It can cause a harmonic in the case because of the way it's mounted.

The fan in the only thing really "running" when you are just using the tuner.

Less-likely option is the HDD. To check the internal HDD ops, you can use SKIP 013, which tests heads, media, etc. It also wipes rec titles etc., as described here.

But check for fan problem first, sound more likely.

post #8337 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks Wajo. I saw a mention of the possible fan noise issue somewhere upthread and did try a lot of tapping before I unplugged it. I'll try again though. I really don't want to do anything that would wipe the hard drive completely unless it's a last resort.
post #8338 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope the "GLS" is a typo cuz couldn't find such an animal in Hitachi site or www Google search. Others in that series are "GLA" ? ? ?

You are correct: it's GLA.
post #8339 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrr View Post

Thanks Wajo. I saw a mention of the possible fan noise issue somewhere upthread and did try a lot of tapping before I unplugged it. I'll try again though. I really don't want to do anything that would wipe the hard drive completely unless it's a last resort.

You could probably stick a pencil in the fan to stop it for a few minutes as a test. Do that before turning the unit on. If it is the fan and you get the part number, let us know. Good luck.
post #8340 of 26568 Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe, you're not in our list of Pioneers yet, so I'll add you to that list and link to your post above, which will be a great help to other upgraders.

if you need to make changes or additions, just edit that post above so all info will be in one place for people to see when clicking the link in the "project summary" I write for every Pioneer.

Thanks for posting this valuable info!

Thank you. It took longer to write the post than do the swap. Maybe the wine slowed me down. I've already performed some typo changes. Maybe you can answer a question though. If a 250GB drive holds 30 hours of video, what's the bit rate? All my calculations come out unreasonable.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread