Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

Hi,

I have noticed discussions in the past on which type of cables to use to connect the 2160. I believe Wajo has indicated Component Video Cables work best for him. Here is some info to support that view.

Jer01

>>>>
People understand DVD copy protection and the motivation but the other one slipping into mainstream driven by the MPAA is HDMI. That great cable that allows a single wire to take HD from your source to your nice new HDTV is most definitely a trojan horse. The lie has been spread over and over that it alone produces the best HD video - why? Because it carries a special brand of digital copy protection - it makes sure that both ends - source and TV - are certified and liensed before it puts out any video. And yes both vendors have to pay exhorbitant fees and buy specific licensed chips for use in their systems - huge moneymaker. Will HDMI carry better video? No - Component video is just as good and for whole home video better by leaps and bounds but pressure by the MPAA has forced most BluRay players to reject putting out 1080p video unless it is via an HDMI connection.
<<<<

http://www.myxtender.com/wholehome/

Are you stipulating that an HDMI cable will always produce a poorer quality picture than a component connection? Or just that component is equal except for needing coax/toslink for better audio? My TV shows everything in 1080p. It will, of course, tell me what I am feeding it. And its internal tuner only has 1080i output. Careful, this could turn into one of those "angels dancing on the head of a pin" discussions. People will work hard to get around HDCP (and geographic zones), but all this has done to me is cause my Panasonic EZ28K to have an inoperative tuner for digital cable since it feels everything is copy protected and Panasonic doesn't really care. Guess I don't either. Strange though. since my Sony AV receiver will convert composite or component to 1080p HDMI but not upconvert HDMI to 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh123 View Post

I can no longer select the title list on my DVR. Any suggestions? I have called the help center and they couldn't tell me what is wrong. I love this unit and don't want to lose what I have recorded.

You can't bring up a title list if there are no titles, or if you're on the DVD drive when you press the Title button.

If it's not one of those, unplug for 10 sec or so, replug and see if anything changes... for the better!
post #8643 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can no longer select the title list on my DVR. Any suggestions? I have called the help center and they couldn't tell me what is wrong. I love this unit and don't want to lose what I have recorded.

Have you pulled the plug for a while? Or try to access the title menu via setup? You may lose your clock and schedule by pulling the plug, but not the hard disk contents. If you select DVD, does that bring up a title list? My unit is recording right now or I'd offer more suggestions.
post #8644 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyg57 View Post

i couldn't help wondering - i've been testing these scenarios with an HQ title, maybe i should try SP - or does it matter? just thought that HQ would not be the rec mode of choice by those who archive and therefore was not tested as rigorously as SP? dunno, if it sounds like I'm grasping at straws, well, i am.

Have you done any tests with a freshly recorded program which you have watched the recording on the HDD in its entirety?

I would try that just to reduce the likelihood that the problem is in the program(s) that are being dubbed. I would try it as soon as possible after the program was recorded, and before any new programs were recorded.

I have only experienced a couple of dub from HDD to DVD problems, and in those cases, the program on the HDD had become corrupted.
post #8645 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 PM

I have unplugged several times and tried again. The title list option from setup is grayed out. I have had this unit for a couple of years and haven't had any problems with it until now. Philips doesn't think it is broken, but couldn't diagnose the problem. I got the error message that the hard drive was full when I tried recording (which I don't think it was) and since then I haven't been able to access the title list.
post #8646 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
As wajo said, are you sure you have the HDD selected?
post #8647 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM

yes
post #8648 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have unplugged several times and tried again. The title list option from setup is grayed out. I have had this unit for a couple of years and haven't had any problems with it until now. Philips doesn't think it is broken, but couldn't diagnose the problem. I got the error message that the hard drive was full when I tried recording (which I don't think it was) and since then I haven't been able to access the title list.

I filled my 3575 HDD up with titles. Once completely full, it stopped recording. No ill effects... altho I didn't try to record anything again until I had deleted all my titles.

You could try a hard reset with SKIP 123 + OK, as described here. Take note of the things you'll have to reset after that reset.
post #8649 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It does sound like it could be an HDD or an HDD controller failure. If I was in your situation, with an out of warranty unit, I would try installing a different HDD. I would drop in an IDE HDD that I have replaced in one of my PCs(I had replaced a 40G drive with a 160G drive, so the 40G just sits in storage.) I would then see if I could format that drive using WAJOs notes. If that solved my problem, I would then search for a reasonable size replacement.
post #8650 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I filled my 3575 HDD up with titles. Once completely full, it stopped recording. No ill effects... altho I didn't try to record anything again until I had deleted all my titles.

You could try a hard reset with SKIP 123 + OK, as described here. Take note of the things you'll have to reset after that reset.

Will I lose what I have recorded on it?
post #8651 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trying to make a recording would have been my next step but you've been there. So, next I would open the case and replug the hard drive. Could be dirty contacts. You can only hope. Being not the most trusting person, I make a DVD backup of everything I record to the hard drive. If I don't need it, I'm happy. When I watch it, I reuse the DVD. I'm sorry for you. And someday I may hear a good story about Magnavox support. It would be quite refreshing.
post #8652 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Will I lose what I have recorded on it?

That link has a list of things SKIP 123 loses, one of which is NOT recorded titles.

Did you click that link?
post #8653 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:

That link has a list of things SKIP 123 loses, one of which is NOT recorded titles.

Did you click that link?

thanks for the info. I am recording onto a DVD right now, seeing if that will work. I'll try the hard reset when my recording is done. I'll let you know how it works. Here's hoping that it does!
post #8654 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

Have you done any tests with a freshly recorded program which you have watched the recording on the HDD in its entirety?

I would try that just to reduce the likelihood that the problem is in the program(s) that are being dubbed. I would try it as soon as possible after the program was recorded, and before any new programs were recorded.

I have only experienced a couple of dub from HDD to DVD problems, and in those cases, the program on the HDD had become corrupted.

thanks for the suggestion. in fact, the HQ title in question was the most recent title when i started testing. after i editted out the commercials, i haven't watched it in its entirety. however, it's one of the titles that i've "dubbed" to my panny the old fashioned way in anticipation of a skip 123 reset. but, i'll review it just to rule out the possibility of corruption. my gut feel is that it's okay. if you've followed my earlier posts, this same title dubbed without any problem to a Memorex -RW. i think the real issue, in all its weirdness, is why dubs to a -RW disc work and crap out on -R/+R discs.
post #8655 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Well, some have suggested trying other DVDs but the long dub sessions with only 1 progress bar suggests a machine problem cuz, with HSD, I don't think it's writing anything to the DVD at the beginning... it's collecting User Data, playback instructons, etc. from the HDD. It sounds like that's where your machine is getting "stuck."

HQ/SP shouldn't matter.

Just my opinion, but I'd try a SKIP 123 hard reset first.

it was "stuck", man, you're getting too technical on me. as if to add insult to injury, i couldn't cancel the runaway dub the normal way. i had to unplug the unit. after i save a couple of titles, i will perform the skip 123 procedure. wish me luck and thanks once again for sticking it out with me.
post #8656 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Based on information posted earlier I ordered a 2160 (non "A") DVD Drive N78F8EUN and its associated CBA from Funai Service. That order was placed on 3/4/2010 and delivered today 3/10/2010.

My thought is that its best to have these parts on hand as a spare as I have three original 2160 models (May, August, December 2008). Another thought is that these parts might be used to upgrade my 2080 (July 2007), or perhaps even my Philips 3575 (August 2007) or 3576 (February 2008) models.

Attached to this and my next post are some photos of the Funai Parts Center outer shipping box, the inner parts box and several views of the N78F8EUN DVD Drive and its associated CBA.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8657 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are more photos of the N78F8EUN DVD Drive and its associated CBA.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #8658 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't remember what that would cost so maybe you could post total cost for all those parts if possible.
I had the one 3575 that seemed to loose it's burner a while ago but I finally broke down and sent it in under Wally worlds extended warranty company and it seems to record again. It doesn't appear that they replaced the burner, but not positive, and they had some notes about upgrading the firmware on the repair ticket that I couldn't try because the drive would not read any disks anymore.
I ended up swapping just the working drive out of my other earlier 3575 that had one of the bad QAM tuners and it worked fine in the other unit, plus the dead drive would not work in the older unit when plugged into it so I figured the drive itself was bad.
I don't use it like I used to but might be nice to get some spares if the parts aren't stupid priced as I still capture some non HD worthy shows on it and the free on demand stuff my cheap cable box allows me to watch.
post #8659 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I don't remember what that would cost so maybe you could post total cost for all those parts if possible.

The total came to $67.99, including shipping. The details are found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...t=39#DVDremove

post #8660 of 25743 Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Need to ask you experts What kind (type) of cables I will need to hook up my Mag 2160 to my Sony Bravia 46" I am on an antenna and right now have two tv's in home both getting signal from antenna via a splitter and R6G copper cable. Does the Mag 2160 come with cables AND are they the best ones for me to use??

I have read to use "S-Video+L/R audio for best quality" I never have seen an S type cable, are the L/R audio cable the 2 old style push in cables like the Red, Yellow and White one that I have used in the past???

I am just getting out of the old vcr & analog world. Please be very basic in your description of type of cables to use I know I am asking alot I have read the info
I found and read at the beginning of this thread on where to buy cables Just need to find out the correct ones for my setup. Thanks again
post #8661 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

eyg57, have you tried making a new recording on the HDD and doing HSD on that new recording? Perhaps the corruption lies in the recorded files themselves in such a way that it's interfering with the types of discs you are using (ie. a rewriteable disc can recover from the bad data being sent while a writeable disc cannot). Just a shot in the dark.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see Kenavs's post above which basically said the same thing.
post #8662 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post

Need to ask you experts What kind (type) of cables I will need to hook up my Mag 2160 to my Sony Bravia 46" I am on an antenna and right now have two tv's in home both getting signal from antenna via a splitter and R6G copper cable. Does the Mag 2160 come with cables AND are they the best ones for me to use??

I have read to use "S-Video+L/R audio for best quality" I never have seen an S type cable, are the L/R audio cable the 2 old style push in cables like the Red, Yellow and White one that I have used in the past???

I am just getting out of the old vcr & analog world. Please be very basic in your description of type of cables to use I know I am asking alot I have read the info
I found and read at the beginning of this thread on where to buy cables Just need to find out the correct ones for my setup. Thanks again

With OTA antenna, your best TV connection will be via Component RGB+L/R Audio or a single HDMI cable (which carries video and audio).

You could try both or just start with the HDMI... sometimes HDMI can cause weird problems so you can always fall back to Component if needed.

I'd recommend getting all your cables from one of the AVS sponsors who make good cable and have reasonable prices: Monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com. They have small ads at the top of every AVS page.
post #8663 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it's not too much work, you can gain back the signal you are losing with the splitter by connecting the D2160 before the splitter. The H2160 has an amplified pass-though when connected to power. I use monoprice.com for my cables. Great service, selection & price. And, if your Sony has it, SonySync does not work with this device. Depending what model Sony TV you have, the display settings could be different for each external input.

The best cables? You're joking, right?
post #8664 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, "L/R audio" cables are the red and white "RCA" cables. Here is an image of an S-video cable: http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/...ble_1_1469.jpg

But for your setup and TV, wajo is correct, you should be using Component cables (the ones that look like RCA cables but are red, blue and green) with L/R audio, OR HDMI. You can buy Component cables with or without the L/R audio cables included. Here is an image of component cables that include the L/R audio cables: Component+L/R audio

Using either Component+LR Audio or HDMI will allow you to get the full HD signals from your antenna, and will allow you to upconvert to HD on your existing DVDs and Hard disk recordings.
post #8665 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:

thanks for the info. I am recording onto a DVD right now, seeing if that will work. I'll try the hard reset when my recording is done. I'll let you know how it works. Here's hoping that it does!

No luck with the hard reset. It did record on the DVD and that title will come up but still nothing on the HDD
post #8666 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No luck with the hard reset. It did record on the DVD and that title will come up but still nothing on the HDD

OK, now it's time to check for basic communication problems.

Run Step 1, Self-Check, of the SKIP 079 procedure to make sure there's good connection to the HDD and it's "in the loop" electronically.

One step at a time, I guess.

Make sure you manually select the HDD drive after all your tests.
post #8667 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

eyg57, have you tried making a new recording on the HDD and doing HSD on that new recording? Perhaps the corruption lies in the recorded files themselves in such a way that it's interfering with the types of discs you are using (ie. a rewriteable disc can recover from the bad data being sent while a writeable disc cannot). Just a shot in the dark.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see Kenavs's post above which basically said the same thing.

thanks for the input anyway, dare2be. i didn't realize that RWs "recover" data which in fact is the crux of my problem (dubs to rewriteable vs. non-rewriteable discs). i'll keep that in mind but i'm gonna do a hard reset today as suggested by wajo and who knows where i go from there if that doesn't pan out.
post #8668 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyg57 View Post

thanks for the input anyway, dare2be. i didn't realize that RWs "recover" data which in fact is the crux of my problem

heh, poor wording on my part...I should have stuck a "maybe" or "possibly" in there, as I don't know for certain, but considering the crux of your problem, it made logical sense to me.
post #8669 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:

OK, now it's time to check for basic communication problems.

Run Step 1, Self-Check, of the SKIP 079 procedure to make sure there's good connection to the HDD and it's "in the loop" electronically.

One step at a time, I guess.

Make sure you manually select the HDD drive after all your tests.

After running this test, the HDD Connect Status is not found. I can't open the disassy sketches link, however.
post #8670 of 25743 Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After running this test, the HDD Connect Status is not found. I can't open the disassy sketches link, however.

Not sure what "disassembly links" you're referring to... I tested all the links in or around SKIP 079 Step 1 and all worked for me.

Anyway, your machine has somehow lost "contact" with the HDD. Not sure if the "full HDD" then trying another recording has anything to do with that or not.

I'm not even sure if you could do Step 2 of that procedure and Format the HDD if the machine thinks there's no HDD, however if you installed a new HDD it also wouldn't show a HDD until you made a short recording to it.

In your case, I think you might be down to 2 choices now:

1. Open the case/top and see if the ribbon cable on the HDD or PCB came loose (quite possible). Take note of the precautions around the Notes and Pics for removing the case top and testing ribbon cable connections (push straight in, don't rock side-to-side, etc.).

2. Try Step 2 of SKIP 079 and Format the HDD, which will lose all setings, channels and recorded titles.

Maybe someone else will come up with some other "less-disruptive" options?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page