Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8821 of 25746 Old 03-26-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131


The evil E19 error is evil no more, as described in this help file.

It only applies to Finalizing, Formatting or Erasing in the Disc Edit menu (actually any Disc Edit op).

wajo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8822 of 25746 Old 03-26-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm22 View Post

I have had a Phillips unit for some time and have rather liked it, also had a similar Polaroid unit that I bought before the Phillips and in comparison it sucks the proverbial dead bunny through a straw.

The unit has not been totally integrated into my system yet. I have been told that with 3 sat receivers, 3 betamax decks, a VHS VCR, 2 PVRs and an LD player that there is too much stuff on top of my TV.

Any chance your nickname for the TV is Atlas? And don't forget to set your clock MANUALLY.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #8823 of 25746 Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm22 View Post

I recently bought one of the Magnavox 2160A refurbished ... The unit has not been totally integrated into my system yet. I have been told that with 3 sat receivers, 3 betamax decks, a VHS VCR, 2 PVRs and an LD player that there is too much stuff on top of my TV.

Ibought two of the Magnbovix units one for me and another for my girlfriend. Git them refurbished from a place called Southest sales...

If your TV is large enough to stack equipment on top it's probably a CRT that gives off lots of heat. Heat is destructive to electonic equipment so it's best to keep your 2160 at some distance from heat sources. Keep the 2160 in a well ventilated area.

With these warm spring days I expect to set up supplemental cooling fans any day now. I'm also going to transition to 1/2 inch spacers between stacked equipment.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #8824 of 25746 Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

If your TV is large enough to stack equipment on top it's probably a CRT that gives off lots of heat. Heat is destructive to electonic equipment so it's best to keep your 2160 at some distance from heat sources. Keep the 2160 in a well ventilated area.

With these warm spring days I expect to set up supplemental cooling fans any day now. I'm also going to transition to 1/2 inch spacers between stacked equipment.

Good point of the CRT. If it is a CRT, here's some more info on heat, EMI, etc. and some real-world examples of what it can do... or what symptoms to look for.
wajo is offline  
post #8825 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131


I decided to put the Machine RESET Procedures in a separate, linkable help file so I wouldn't have to type them in every time someone needs them.

Here's the new RESET help file.

wajo is offline  
post #8826 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Member
 
loopback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i got one episode of House which is recorded on HDD with HQ setting. on playback from HDD, it runs greats with the right ascpect ration (widescreen) but when i dub to DVD (using HQ setting) , it only plays in 4:3. same in my dvd players. i thought maybe i changed some setting somewhere on my external dvd player so tried out other DVDs that i authored and some commerccial ones; they all play just fine. what am i missing or does this unit on dubs as 4:3 to dvd.
loopback is offline  
post #8827 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopback View Post

i got one episode of House which is recorded on HDD with HQ setting. on playback from HDD, it runs greats with the right ascpect ration (widescreen) but when i dub to DVD (using HQ setting) , it only plays in 4:3. same in my dvd players. i thought maybe i changed some setting somewhere on my external dvd player so tried out other DVDs that i authored and some commerccial ones; they all play just fine. what am i missing or does this unit on dubs as 4:3 to dvd.

First question is, why didn't you use HIGH speed dub for a lossless mirror-image copy?

I happen to have a short title of a 16:9 WS program I recorded in HQ I've been using for tests on another user's "aspect" questions. I've been dubbing to a -RW disc to see if anything could change the HDD-recorded aspect to a 4:3 aspect or "4:3 Letter Box" in a dub to DVD.

I've found there's NOTHING I can do to change the 16:9 WS aspect in a dub, whether dubbing at HIGH or real-time dubbing at HQ. This is even true whether the DVD is Finalized or Unfinalized.

There are no machine settings that can change the aspect in a dub from HDD to DVD. Once recorded, the aspect is firmly fixed and embedded in that title and even TV aspect settings can't change its "native" aspect (just "distort" it, like Zoom, Normal, etc.).

I don't have a clue here, sorry.
wajo is offline  
post #8828 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Sorry, I thought you had a 2160 and 2160A.

Just do HSD with any SP title around 2 hrs. Front or end cuts won't make a diff. Lots of mid-cuts might cuz they add overhead so best to avoid them for this test (only).

So, essentially, you can end-cut to get close to the 2:01:54 or 2:02:54-hr mark already in the chart for SP on 16X discs.

Dub time only, not Finalize but that separate info would be nice too.

* * * * * * * *
Note to 2160 users with 8X discs:

We'll still need a HSD of 2:01:54 or 2:02:54 or thereabouts on an SP title on 8X disc with a 2160 to compare to Artwire's 2160A results.

Didn't forget about you but the recording I needed to dub today was shorter than 2 hrs. Will record another one tonight and send info.

This probablymeans nothing, but ... thought it was kind of weird, so might as well ask before doing the real test.

I had a 142 minute SP recording. It took 13:02 minutes to dub; 30 seconds to 'write to disc' (haven't finalized it yet). Now the recording says: 1:38:57 for DISC SPACE USED. Assume that's a time reference, as well.... and if so, maybe the pre-burn estimate in the menu of titles is less exact than what the exact burn is - or are HSDs a little more "compressed"? In any case, I'm guessing that's why it says disc would fill up sooner than we think it would when trying to squeeze multiple titles in?

Will be back with an easier math version...like... exactly 2 hrs )

oh, this was an SP HSD on 2160A to 8 x DVD-R TY media.
artwire is offline  
post #8829 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Didn't forget about you but the recording I needed to dub today was shorter than 2 hrs. Will record another one tonight and send info.

This probablymeans nothing, but ... thought it was kind of weird, so might as well ask before doing the real test.

I had a 142 minute SP recording. It took 13:02 minutes to dub; 30 seconds to 'write to disc' (haven't formatted it yet). Now the recording says: 1:38:57 for DISC SPACE USED. Assume that's a time reference, as well.... and if so, maybe the pre-burn estimate in the menu of titles is less exact than what the exact burn is - or are HSDs a little more "compressed"? In any case, I'm guessing that's why it says disc would fill up sooner than we think it would when trying to squeeze multiple titles in?

Will be back with an easier math version...like... exactly 2 hrs )

oh, this was an SP HSD on 2160A to 8 x DVD-R TY media.

Hey, even tho the math doesn't seem to add up and all, 13 min. or so is what I was anticipating for a 2+ hr SP title IF the 2160A burner was a 10X, as I was hoping.

A HSD just eliminates some overhead bits that a RTD needs/adds while recording or dubbing, so it's total file size that's reduced... no compression, just a mirror-image of the User Data w/o some overhead.

If you're able to HSD a ~2:00:00 to 2:03:00 SP title in approx. 13 min., that'll confirm it!
wajo is offline  
post #8830 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok, will do. I may have some 16 x media around here somewhere, but mostly 8 x, so we'll see. I'm setting this thing for 9 - 11 pm exactly
artwire is offline  
post #8831 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've ran into the W/S issues before and I think it's because our machines don't set the flag/bit that tells other machines it's a 16x9 recording. The machine you made it on knows what it did and just happily plays it back corectly from then on, other machines don't and display it in 4.3.
I have played around with programs that can force a copy to whatever you want when I make a copy and then they seem to play fine.
You might want to check into that and see what works for you. Many of the programs that edit and recode video are capable of setting the widescreen flag.
Dartman is offline  
post #8832 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

ok, will do. I may have some 16 x media around here somewhere, but mostly 8 x, so we'll see. I'm setting this thing for 9 - 11 pm exactly

9:00-11:02 if not too late?

A HSD to both 8X and 16X would be nice too!
wajo is offline  
post #8833 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

9:00-11:02 if not too late?

A HSD to both 8X and 16X would be nice too!

oops. Too late. Sorry, I didnt check back here. But tomorrow is another day...I'll do one that's 2:02 tomorrow night for that scheduled recording.

But I'm still kind of fuzzy about how, even if this is a 10x burner and it's burning to 8x media, could it be any faster than an 8x burner? I thought the media limited the speed. I could see it being zippier on a 16x (if you discount the other issues of 16x media, that is... )

This should be done in a few mins so I'll update then....
artwire is offline  
post #8834 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
here ya go -- not 13 minutes....


4424 MB ... SP ... 2160A 8x DVD-R media
2:00.01 pre-burn title menu time and the same timing after being burned

11:05 --> 11:20:45 = 15:45 mins + 40 seconds to "write to disk"
artwire is offline  
post #8835 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
With 8X, it's about the same as the 2160 with 16X. We'll have to see how it does with a 16X?
wajo is offline  
post #8836 of 25746 Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Member
 
Mike Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

This is a little OT, but is there a free software apt that lets you print a DVD case cover for DVDs you burn? I purchased some Memorex DVD cases and a pack of Memorex blank cover stock, but I don't know how to get my printer to print the covers.
Thanks,
Ghpr13

Nero StartSmart Essentials does it for me. Don't recall where it came from but it also does Lightscribe DVD composition and burns. Not fast for sure but reliable and always available. I don't think the s/w is made for a pre-made, perfed label stock, Avery or other. I haven't tried to mate any up to Nero.
I'm unhappy about my Epson dvd printer because of cost of ink and need to replace 5x cartridges. the printer eats the ink from carts you don't use to print. But that 's another story.
BTW, be aware that you need appropriate stock or weight of paper to make a quality insert. 20 lb bond is a little flimsy for some applications. Also color ink may transfer to front of a case (thinking tall DVD case w/ clear plastic front/spine/back wrapper. We usually laminate labels we make to put behind a flexible cover like that. Don't know how big a problem it is but you should consider it for best quality result. Cutting paper straight is another challenge.
You will also want a real image editor to compose the content of the label, if it's to be born of an image. Editors in the label making s/w are very low function. I use the Gimp, freeware. Not accomplished at it yet :-(.
Mike.
Hope the project works well.
Mike Hardy is offline  
post #8837 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

With 8X, it's about the same as the 2160 with 16X. We'll have to see how it does with a 16X?

Hot off the press test results ...

16x DVD-R media, 2160A ... recording time 12:05 - 12:21 = 16 minutes for SP recording of 4424 MB:

2:01:53 (and empty title of 0:07:27)

40 seconds to 'write' to disc. Finalizing takes .... exactly 3 1/2 minutes


Not sure this proves what you hoped. Seems similar to the 2160 burn speeds to me? Also, burning to 8x and 16x media on 2160A with similar recording times ran about the same duration (allowing for two minute variation in recorded content), so ... we might as well go with the more reliable 8 x media. At least that's my take. Guessing that suggests the burner in 2160A is 8x as well, or am I misreading our 'data'?
artwire is offline  
post #8838 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Hot off the press test results ...

16x DVD-R media, 2160A ... recording time 12:05 - 12:21 = 16 minutes for SP recording of 4424 MB:

2:01:53 (and empty title of 0:07:27)

40 seconds to 'write' to disc. Finalizing takes .... exactly 3 1/2 minutes


Not sure this proves what you hoped. Seems similar to the 2160 burn speeds to me? Also, burning to 8x and 16x media on 2160A with similar recording times ran about the same duration (allowing for two minute variation in recorded content), so ... we might as well go with the more reliable 8 x media. At least that's my take. Guessing that suggests the burner in 2160A is 8x as well, or am I misreading our 'data'?

Very nice... you done good!

It does prove the "A" has an 8X burner like the original 2160.

But also, it proves that the "A" is not noticeably partial to slower discs, like the 3575/3576 and its 4X burner.

Also now, there's some good 8X data to add to the Elapsed Time table.

Thanks for the time and effort!
wajo is offline  
post #8839 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
artwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Very nice... you done good!

It does prove the "A" has an 8X burner like the original 2160.

But also, it proves that the "A" is not partial to slower discs, like the 3575/3576 and its 4X burner.

Also now, there's some good 8X data to add to the Elapsed Time table.

Was the 16X also a -R?

Thanks for the time and effort!

16x was a DVD-R Maxell, drugstore variety. I have some +R media somewhere.... if I can find one I will try that later, too, while we're 'investigating."

I had a brief recording glitch the other day - thought it was the network,but I had recorded the same program on two different machines, and one had it and one didnt. Maybe bad spot on the drive,or just a hiccup ? I was fiddling with cables and might have jiggled it inadvertently. Anyway, it got me thinking it was time to 'back up' more stuff, so thanks for the excuse
artwire is offline  
post #8840 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Member
 
KR7L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Covington WA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post



I decided to put the Machine RESET Procedures in a separate, linkable help file so I wouldn't have to type them in every time someone needs them.

Here's the new RESET help file.


There is another malady that the Power Cycle procedure is good for.

A few days ago I was moving some interconnect cables around and when I had finished and was checking them out, I found no audio from the HDMI or RCA outputs, only the DAO. I nearly panicked and thot "I don't want to send this back to Funi". Then I remember the nearly-universal cure-all: pull the plug for 10 minutes.

Thankfully that did the trick. Audio returned no problem.

Thanks for all or the great tips and suggestions. They make a great DVDR a fabulous one!
KR7L is offline  
post #8841 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7L View Post

There is another malady that the Power Cycle procedure is good for.

A few days ago I was moving some interconnect cables around and when I had finished and was checking them out, I found no audio from the HDMI or RCA outputs, only the DAO. I nearly panicked and thot "I don't want to send this back to Funi". Then I remember the nearly-universal cure-all: pull the plug for 10 minutes.

Thankfully that did the trick. Audio returned no problem.

Thanks for all or the great tips and suggestions. They make a great DVDR a fabulous one!

Thanks for posting this... I think I'll link to it in the RESET file as a "reinforcer" for starting with the "Pull-Plug-For10-Remedy"!
wajo is offline  
post #8842 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jim1348's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

New units are $227 on Walmart.com, plus $.97 to ship it to your house. A few stores carry them. Refubs can be be found on J&R when they have them. J&R should get more now that Walmart has removed the bug fix feedback from their "most relevant" reviews. It has over 875 reviews last time I looked. It can't be beat for storing SD content. Storing HD content isn't too bad either.

I haven't been paying real close attention to this lately, has J&R had any of these lately? Is there any way to get J&R to notify me when they are available?
Jim1348 is online now  
post #8843 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

I haven't been paying real close attention to this lately, has J&R had any of these lately? Is there any way to get J&R to notify me when they are available?

It's been at least 2 months since last batch of refurbs at J&R.

When I inquired 5-6 weeks ago, they were not sure of the Mag, but they were about to get a large number of Polaroid DR01601A units.

You can click #1 in my sig. and go to Section 10, which has the tel. # of Jacques at J&R and you can inquire. Maybe if people bug him enough, they'll get the message?
wajo is offline  
post #8844 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Calm down. Price is back to to $227 with 97 cents shipping. Sort function on reviews is still bad.

They are back to those "price rollups" again $266.54.

Z
CO-Zman is offline  
post #8845 of 25746 Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-Zman View Post

They are back to those "price rollups" again $266.54.

Z

Yeah, I noticed. It might change tomorrow since the web & windows people don't work on weekends.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #8846 of 25746 Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ghpr13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fairdale,KY
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Have you checked the Memorex web site? Avery has free software drivers that work with MS Word to print their labels. Also check the Microsoft web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

You can also check download.com for other free software programs. Here's one I found there you may want to sample. DVD-Cover Printmaster
http://download.cnet.com/DVD-Cover-P...html?tag=mncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hardy View Post

Nero StartSmart Essentials does it for me. Don't recall where it came from but it also does Lightscribe DVD composition and burns. Not fast for sure but reliable and always available. I don't think the s/w is made for a pre-made, perfed label stock, Avery or other. I haven't tried to mate any up to Nero.
I'm unhappy about my Epson dvd printer because of cost of ink and need to replace 5x cartridges. the printer eats the ink from carts you don't use to print. But that 's another story.
BTW, be aware that you need appropriate stock or weight of paper to make a quality insert. 20 lb bond is a little flimsy for some applications. Also color ink may transfer to front of a case (thinking tall DVD case w/ clear plastic front/spine/back wrapper. We usually laminate labels we make to put behind a flexible cover like that. Don't know how big a problem it is but you should consider it for best quality result. Cutting paper straight is another challenge.
You will also want a real image editor to compose the content of the label, if it's to be born of an image. Editors in the label making s/w are very low function. I use the Gimp, freeware. Not accomplished at it yet :-(.
Mike.
Hope the project works well.

Thank you all. I will check these out. I had found one download, but it was a trial and didn't seem to work correctly.
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Ghpr13 is offline  
post #8847 of 25746 Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Newbie
 
devky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday I ordered the Magnavox 2160 from Walmart, after doing LOTS of research. Thanks so much, Wajo, for your invaluable insights and some hilarious posts.

This evening I called my cable provider, Insight Communications, to see if I could get a box with HD channels that wasn't a DVR - of course the answer was no. In my conversation with the CS rep, she told me that "You'll have to pay a fee to use a DVR box, even if you buy your own." After lots of incredulous questions, she convinced me that Insight Communications will try to stick it to me every way they can. I asked her what was the difference between recording to a DVD recorder and recording to a hard drive, like on the DVR. She didn't know enough to come up with an answer.

My question is, how can the cable provider tell whether I'm using a DVR I purchased? If I'm running the cable signal through a standard digital box (so I can get channels 100-600), how does Insight know that there's a DVR box attached to it, or a DVD recorder, or a VHS recorder?

This conversation made me want to buy an antenna and go to the library - read more, watch less TV. Sounds like I'll be returning the 2160. In all my research, I saw no mention of cable company fees for this, just lots of "no more monthly fees." I'm pretty puzzled.
devky is offline  
post #8848 of 25746 Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by devky View Post

Yesterday I ordered the Magnavox 2160 from Walmart, after doing LOTS of research. Thanks so much, Wajo, for your invaluable insights and some hilarious posts.

This evening I called my cable provider, Insight Communications, to see if I could get a box with HD channels that wasn't a DVR - of course the answer was no. In my conversation with the CS rep, she told me that "You'll have to pay a fee to use a DVR box, even if you buy your own." After lots of incredulous questions, she convinced me that Insight Communications will try to stick it to me every way they can. I asked her what was the difference between recording to a DVD recorder and recording to a hard drive, like on the DVR. She didn't know enough to come up with an answer.

My question is, how can the cable provider tell whether I'm using a DVR I purchased? If I'm running the cable signal through a standard digital box (so I can get channels 100-600), how does Insight know that there's a DVR box attached to it, or a DVD recorder, or a VHS recorder?

This conversation made me want to buy an antenna and go to the library - read more, watch less TV. Sounds like I'll be returning the 2160. In all my research, I saw no mention of cable company fees for this, just lots of "no more monthly fees." I'm pretty puzzled.

You need to get your 2160 and give it the "lyin-pack-of-prevaricators" test!

My advice is to get the unit, plug it into the coax directly and set it up, w/o any other boxes. That setup will include an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital). You might see that there are many channels available that may just be in different channel slots than they would be on a cable box.

We even have an "All-or-Nothing" Manual Channel Preset procedure for finding out if their "hiding" channels in deep subchannel numbers. That's in case you don't immediately find a "sufficient" number of channels (not what you might expect). That procedure and its reason for existence are described here.

If you still need a cable box for scrambled channels, then use a bi-directional, digital 2-way splitter with one output to the box and one to the 2160. That leaves a "clean" path between the cable head end and their box so they can ping away and not know your 2160 is there. (The 2160's coax circuit is not bidirectional, so having it 1st on the coax will block any backwards comm. the cableco needs to have to know everything is OK with their box.)

In other words, prove for yourself what the 2160 can tune by iteself in your system and, if it's not satisfactory, return it to your nearest Walmart... but don't BELIEVE anything the cableco tells you, except for how much their service is (even then, it'll be MORE than they tell you when they add the facilities fee, fee for extra profit, fee-on-fee, fee-fee-on-fee, etc.)?
wajo is offline  
post #8849 of 25746 Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by devky View Post

Yesterday I ordered the Magnavox 2160 from Walmart, after doing LOTS of research. Thanks so much, Wajo, for your invaluable insights and some hilarious posts.

This evening I called my cable provider, Insight Communications, to see if I could get a box with HD channels that wasn't a DVR - of course the answer was no. In my conversation with the CS rep, she told me that "You'll have to pay a fee to use a DVR box, even if you buy your own." After lots of incredulous questions, she convinced me that Insight Communications will try to stick it to me every way they can. I asked her what was the difference between recording to a DVD recorder and recording to a hard drive, like on the DVR. She didn't know enough to come up with an answer.

My question is, how can the cable provider tell whether I'm using a DVR I purchased? If I'm running the cable signal through a standard digital box (so I can get channels 100-600), how does Insight know that there's a DVR box attached to it, or a DVD recorder, or a VHS recorder?

This conversation made me want to buy an antenna and go to the library - read more, watch less TV. Sounds like I'll be returning the 2160. In all my research, I saw no mention of cable company fees for this, just lots of "no more monthly fees." I'm pretty puzzled.

I enjoy research in this area. Could you post your location/zip code under the UserCP tab up on the top of the page? It will help me, and let others near to you give more accurate advice. Don't expect channels like 200 or 305 though. You will be using a really nice, fancy, and advanced VCR with a hard drive instead of a tape. [I have a JVC & Mitsu VCR that do HD but that's way OT] Best advice I can give is to ignore your cable company. They may be able to tell how many of their cable boxes you have connected, but no more than that. Without a cable box I can get 100+ channels, 7 in HD. Hardest part for me is remembering to select AV3 when inserting a new blank DVD into the H2160. Everything else can be found in Post #1. Good luck.

Please keep us informed of your results. Your cable company only wants money. We just want to help.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #8850 of 25746 Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by devky View Post

Yesterday I ordered the Magnavox 2160 from Walmart, after doing LOTS of research. Thanks so much, Wajo, for your invaluable insights and some hilarious posts.

This conversation made me want to buy an antenna and go to the library - read more, watch less TV. Sounds like I'll be returning the 2160. In all my research, I saw no mention of cable company fees for this, just lots of "no more monthly fees." I'm pretty puzzled.

If you are in KY, search AVS for Insight Communications. It don't look good for you. Sorry.
JoeKustra is online now  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

User Tag List
wago

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off