Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 25743 Old 12-02-2007, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know what HDD format Philips uses?I want to change my hdd and guess it's a proprietary disk format...can anyone help me with some details?Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 25743 Old 12-02-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

Major Differences between a VCR and a HDD-DVDR

For those new to DVD recording or looking into it for the first time, here are some major differences in using this HDD-DVDR vs. your old VCR (see this list for details on any of these subjects):

1. Higher-quality picture at any rec mode.

2. Coax connection thru this DVDR is strictly an amplified passthru of the raw incoming signal, even if HD, to your TV or cable/sat STB, whether this DVDR is on or off. Nothing internal... menus, channels, titles on the hard disk drive (HDD) or DVD movies... are carried via the DVDR's coax. This means you can record one channel on this DVDR WHILE WATCHING A DIFFERENT CHANNEL ON YOUR TV! A Line Connection must be made to your TV for internal DVDR signals (Composite Y/W/R RCA, S-Video+L/R Audio, Component RGB+L/R Audio, or HDMI). While coax passthru doesn't change the signal (high-def or std-def), all DVDRs change an HD signal to SD 480i thru the tuner or a line input, as required by DVD stds.

3. Tune analog, ATSC/OTA digital, and Cable-QAM digital channels.

4. No tapes or DVD discs reqd, unless you want a title on the HDD transferred to a DVD for archiving.

5. Set up to 36 timer rec programs that will start whether DVDR is on or off.

6. Record virtually unlimited continuous hours in multiple titles with unattended timer rec programs. Here's a 3576 user who recorded for 34 hours straight, creating 18 separate titles from back-to-back programs.

7. Record at highest quality for up to 12 hours in a single title. No need to use longest "speed" just to fit stuff on the media, which in this case is a 160GB HDD that can hold up to 600 titles (individual recorded shows). The HDD will hold 33 hours at max. quality (1-hr-HQ rec mode) or up to 198 hours at min. quality (6-hr-SLP rec mode). The original 160GB HDD can be easily upgraded DIY to 500GB, which can hold from 106 to 638 hours.

8. Chase Play. Watch a recording in progress from its beginning by pressing the PLAY button. Use all the normal PLAY functions, like FF, REW, PAUSE, SKIP, etc. while playing the still-recording show until you catch up to the current record point.

9. Pause Live TV. With the 3575/3576/2080, you can press a button that pauses live TV so you can do other business, then return and see what you missed... that portion is placed in a temporary "buffer" that can be viewed but can't be saved. However, the 2160 is always recording the channels you tune to in the background in a 6-hour "buffer." This serves as the pause live TV function: just press PAUSE then come back and press PLAY. The entire buffer, or any portion, like the show that's on now, can be viewed in "Chase Play" mode AND saved to HDD if desired.

10. Simultaneous record and play. While recording a channel, watch a diff. channel on your TV live thru coax passthru, or select a title on the HDD to play, or play a DVD simultaneously, while still recording.

11. No need to rewind. Just Stop playback.

12. Resume play where you left off on all titles on the HDD.

13. Pause playback for 20 min.

14. Pause a manual recording and, if desired, change channels... good for checking what's on other channels at same time, checking scores of ballgames on other channels, recording multiple channels to check PQ of different program types or combining shows on different channels in one title, etc.

15. Skip commercials during playback instantly, with user-settable skip times. Can also skip back (replay) in same way.

16. Search/move digitally by Title, Chapter and Time, as well as specific locations you "mark" so you can go back to them again. Go there directly and instantly... no long rewinds or FF reqd.

17. Edit your titles on the HDD, including commercial delete, divide a title into sections, change title name, add or delete chapter marks, or change index pic (on a DVD).

18. Increase recording and storage capacity with larger HDDs or multiple, external HDD "farms." Off-line HDDs retain all recorded titles and settings so they can be quickly plugged into an external hard disk dock (a "Toaster") and be immediately recognized by this DVDR.

post #63 of 25743 Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just be advised - opening the unit (there's a seal that will
break) will void the warranty.
post #64 of 25743 Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM

I've had this unit for a couple of months and really like it but I've had one issue I wanted to see if NE1 else has had.

During timer recording, sometimes the blue led will not come on to indicate the unit is recording. I need my reading glasses to see what the small print says during record and I usually don't wear them to watch TV so when it first happened I hit the stop button on the remote and went to the menu. The recording entry was red and I figured it was not recording, but when the time was up the program had been recorded and stored on the HDD.

I read the manual and it said that if power was lost the time needed to be reset for the timer to work. I set the clock and the next time, the blue led worked but a few times since the blue led has quit and I have to set the clock for it to come on. The odd thing is that no matter if the blue led is on or not, the unit will record the program I wanted.

I was just wondering id NE1 else had run into this?

I've been called a storehouse of worthless information many times.
post #65 of 25743 Old 12-02-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwatson77459 View Post

I've had this unit for a couple of months and really like it but I've had one issue I wanted to see if NE1 else has had.

During timer recording, sometimes the blue led will not come on to indicate the unit is recording. I need my reading glasses to see what the small print says during record and I usually don't wear them to watch TV so when it first happened I hit the stop button on the remote and went to the menu. The recording entry was red and I figured it was not recording, but when the time was up the program had been recorded and stored on the HDD.

I read the manual and it said that if power was lost the time needed to be reset for the timer to work. I set the clock and the next time, the blue led worked but a few times since the blue led has quit and I have to set the clock for it to come on. The odd thing is that no matter if the blue led is on or not, the unit will record the program I wanted.

I was just wondering id NE1 else had run into this?

Yes, that occurs when you have the DVD side selected while a recording is ongoing on the HDD side (could be by accident or from playing a DVD). Next time, press the HDD button and I think you'll see the LED come on to indicate HDD recording.

Each time you set the clock, you had to be on the HDD side, and that's prob. why it came on the next time it recorded on the HDD side.
post #66 of 25743 Old 12-02-2007, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

If you've got a "thingy" that might be what you need for assurance. Even if your old thingy doesn't work, there are others, as you noted. With the recent spate of filings with the International Trade Commission (ITC), NOW might be the time to get a 3575?

Thanks so much for your input on this one, that was exactly my question in the other thread.

So the other question buried in there, is: what is the current thingy to be used with this type of device? I think I saw it mentioned somewhere in another thread but don't remember exactly.

I think I will suggest to my friend about the Phillips and get one for myself, plus the magic decoder device. (I believe the MacroVision unblocker filter I have is just for VHS.)
post #67 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdocxx View Post

...(I believe the MacroVision unblocker filter I have is just for VHS.)

That is mostly true.
post #68 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdocxx View Post

So the other question buried in there, is: what is the current thingy to be used with this type of device? I think I saw it mentioned somewhere in another thread but don't remember exactly.

ATX500, DP5000 or Logic Degign. There's also the Grex unit, but that one's said to soften the picture a bit. I'm not sure, but I think that the Logic Design will let you set the 16:9 flag.

You can Google the others, although you won't necessarily find anything under "Logic Design". But the manufacturer occasionally posts here, so you can easily search out his posts to find the contact number.
post #69 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The thingy I use is a Sima ct-2
Bought it at BB 1 yr ago ~$100. CC also had them but were more $$
They also sell a cheaper one, but as noted they only work for vhs, not dvd.
post #70 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that occurs when you have the DVD side selected while a recording is ongoing on the HDD side (could be by accident or from playing a DVD). Next time, press the HDD button and I think you'll see the LED come on to indicate HDD recording.

Each time you set the clock, you had to be on the HDD side, and that's prob. why it came on the next time it recorded on the HDD side.

Is there anything about this unit you don't know?
post #71 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The thingy I use is a Sima ct-2
Bought it at BB 1 yr ago ~$100. CC also had them but were more $$
They also sell a cheaper one, but as noted they only work for vhs, not dvd.

I have a ct-2, also, but I got the last, stray one my local BB had lying around quite a few months back.

They aren't being made or sold under that name anymore. The ATX500 and the DP5000 are replacement models - pretty much the exact, same thing - and you can only get the units on the internet now, not in any stores, since Sima was sued.

One place that sells them is www.world-import.com. WI gets a lot of good reviews here.
post #72 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks. You may be right. I sometimes stick in a DVD to play and that is probably what is happening.

post #73 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad Sima was sued. I really like mine, works great. I thought it was legal to make "back up" copies of DVD's that you owned. I though there was someting called "fair use" act or something like that. A year ago many people sold them, including comp use, and BB. Now if BB sells them, that's main stream! Besides the real pirates would copy a dvd on there pc, keeping the original menu and digital quality in tact. JMO
post #74 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

CHECK QUALITY OF DVD MEDIA

Jump To:
Checking DVD Media ID (MID)
Using the Media ID to Check DVD Quality Rating
"Media ID" and "Write Strategy" Explained

Checking DVD Media ID (MID)

The simplest step you can take to assure high-quality, long-lasting burns is to use this DVDR's disk utility to check the Manufacturer's Media ID (MID) utility on every new batch of discs before using the first one. Even brands/speeds you've used before could be made by someone else over time so, unfortunately, prior successful use is not a guarantee of continued success.

You can access the disc utility thru this DVDR's Firmware (FW) data screen.
  1. Load a blank disc or a recorded disc (Finalized or Unfinalized).

2. Press SKIP 123 buttons sequentially, all within 3 sec. A grey screen pops up with a list of model and FW version data.

3. Arrow right to "Please Insert Disc" screen. Once the disc is fully loaded (~20 sec), the disc data appears. Write the MID code down for checking its quality rating as described below.

Leave the screen up and check as many other blank or recorded discs as you want. (Commercial discs will show **** on the MID line.)

4. EXIT this menu by pressing ONLY the left-arrow key back to the FW screen, then ONLY the BACK/RETURN key to exit. NEVER PRESS THE OK KEY!.

Go back to List. ...... Go to main list of help files.

Using the Media ID to Check DVD Quality Rating

With the MID info from above, you can go to digitalfaq.com and see how it rates against their 3 Classes: 1st (Excellent), 2nd (OK), and 3rd (Crap). It also has some links to computer SW for checking disc ID for those who don't have this DVDR. The digitalfaq list was recently updated after a long hiatus!

Once you know a MID code for a disc that works for you, videohelp.com has a page here where you can:

1. Enter a media code in the "Search Media Code" box (2nd box down).
  2. Click the "Exact search" checkbox.
  3. Click the "Search or List Media" button.

That will assemble a list, below the boxes, of all the disc brands and types that use that same media code. This gives you some alternatives for at least staying with a media code that works well for you or lets you know that, if you use a lot of disc, you might consider stocking up on ones that test good while they're still available at that seller. (National Archivists' Society says DVD blanks have a 5-year shelf life, at least for THEIR purpose: digitizing and backing up irreplaceable archival documents.)

Note on Sony Codes: I did some tests, prompted by a kenavs suggestion, that proved this DVDR's disc utility apparently won't show any characters after MULTIPLE null points, so SONY discs with a code of "SONY....D21" will only show "SONY". The utility WILL show a full code with a single space and single null point, such as "CMC MAG. AM3" and Sony codes like "SONY08D1". To be sure with Sony discs that just read "SONY" you'll have to check the MID in a computer to see the whole code. I use DVD Decrypter, a free program. If buying Sony discs, at least make sure the outer pkg shows Made in Japan or Made in Taiwan... some people have found the very good Sony MIJ at Walgreens.

"Media ID" and "Write Strategy" Explained

Here's some info on DVD MID and Write Strategy from Questions 5, 6, and 7 on this supermediatore.com page. It's geared towards burners in computers, so some comments like "Never burn faster than the write strategy" don't apply, but still most is applicable to DVDR users.

Q: What is Media ID and what is Write Strategy?

A: The Media ID is the location of information about the disc. The Write Strategy is the maximum speed the disc was manufactured to use. Burning faster will often cause errors. Most DVD burners read the Media ID for determining write speed allowed by the burning software. You should always check the Write Strategy to ensure the Media ID is not forged for an incorrect speed. Never burn faster than the write strategy.

Q: How do I know the Media ID and Write Strategy of my discs?

Ed: See "Checking DVD Media ID" above for using a utility built into these DVDRs.

A: DVD burners are required to read the Media ID and Write Strategy information. Several programs exist for checking the Media ID and Write Strategy of the disc. Most of these utilities are free. You can download DVDINFOPRO from www.dvdinfopro.com. For example, you run a test on a Ritek disk. The test confirms that by showing that the Media ID is RITEKG04. The disk further ensures that the Media ID was not forged because the Write Strategy speed is 4X and that matches the Media ID speed.

You should always check the Write Strategy to ensure the Media ID is not forged for an incorrect speed.

Q: Why can't my DVD media reach the stated Write Strategy burning speed?

A: In order to get the fastest burning speed, you should always keep the firmware of your DVD burners up to date with the latest version. Most DVD burners read the Media ID to determine the write speed allowed by the burning software. If the Media IDs of the newly released DVD media are not listed in DVD burners' firmware, burning speeds may be downgraded. That is why you should keep your firmware up to date to solve compatibility issues.

post #75 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope we can take the copyright defeating discussion to one of the threads dedicated to that, or start a new one, soon?

Good idea.
post #76 of 25743 Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great info everybody, thanks.
post #77 of 25743 Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post

Is there anything about this unit you don't know?

Yes, and it's important too!

I don't know if the 3575's RF/coax passthru is BIDIRECTIONAL.

This is important so people with Pay-per-View (PPV) or other "metered" service will know if their 3575 can be 1st in line for the coax.

If the 3575's Rf/coax passthru is NOT bidirectional, people with PPV, etc. will have to set up differently.

ANYONE WITH PPV OR OTHER METERED SERVICE THAT REQUIRES COMM. WITH YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER...

EDIT: ...THRU YOUR CABLE BOX. IF THRU A TEL. LINE, NO PROBLEM. THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO GO UPSTREAM THRU THE 3575?

EDIT 4/22/08: The 3575/76 coax passthru is NOT bidirectional so you'll have to use a high-quality bidirectional splitter on the incoming cable feed so the cable box can be used to order PPV or On-Demand programs thru the coax. If ordering programs is thru telephone line, no problem having the 3575/76 1st on the coax and passing that signal thru to downstream components.
post #78 of 25743 Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Does anyone know if you can "mod" the DVR by putting in a larger hard drive? 160G is ok but I have a whole season of Mad Man from AMC and it took up quite a chunk of space on my old Toshiba RD-XS52 from SD cable source. If I get this new DVR w/ digital tuner and start recording /seasonpass/ of BSG or some other hip HD shows like Houe, the wee 160G won't hold.

Has anyone has performed this type of surgery? I know if will void the warranty... Forgive me if this is not the right forum for the question.

Thanks.
post #79 of 25743 Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmod View Post

Does anyone know .... If I get this new DVR w/ digital tuner and start recording /seasonpass/ of BSG or some other hip HD shows like Houe, the wee 160G won't hold.

I believe the recorder will not record in High Def. It will record to the HDD in several selected speeds (qualities) and then play it back as up-converted to your HDTV. IIRC, the true Hi-Def Blu-Ray disks hold 50Gb each for a 2 hour movie, so the 160Gb HDD would only hold 6 hours of true Hi-Def recording.

post #80 of 25743 Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

No DVD recorder records in HD, not even to a HDD.
post #81 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM

I have a couple of channels that have 3 digit extensions...ex. 82-300 am I just out of luck for trying to tune these in on my Philips DVDR3575H or am I just missing something ?
post #82 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayovm View Post

I have a couple of channels that have 3 digit extensions...ex. 82-300 am I just out of luck for trying to tune these in on my Philips DVDR3575H or am I just missing something ?

Don't think so. You should be OK based on my experience with my basic analog cable from TW. Here are the DIGITAL channels my LCD TV gets compared to the same channels in my 3575:

Net.........TV CH.....3575 CH
CW21.......60-703...60.1
Fox6HD....60-706...60.2
My68........60-711...60.3
DiscHD......75-10....75.1
ESPNHD....76-1......76.1
TNT.TV.....78-300...78.1
TBS.com...83-205...83.3
ESPN2HD..83-754...83.4

Somehow the 3575 finds those channels "in the clear" (not scrambled) and assigns them its own single-digit number.

One thing of note: when I did my original scan, the two 83.x channels weren't picked up. I only knew they were there when I got my new LCD TV. Used Manual Channel Preset to enter 83, but it said Scrambled, went to 83.2, same thing, went to 83.3 and 83.4, and there they were!

Not sure if those two channels were there on first scan or recently added.

Edit: Just realized that those two 83.x channels might have been "missed" on original scan cuz there was no 83.1 (scrambled)! If that's the case, other people may have digital channels they haven't found yet either. Might be a good idea to correlate your TV channels (if digital) with what your 3575 picks up and see what's "hiding" cuz the 3575 didn't find a XX.1 channel???

This post by Budget_HT on his QAM experience might help understand this cableco QAM channel thing?

post #83 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmod View Post

Does anyone know if you can "mod" the DVR by putting in a larger hard drive? 160G is ok but I have a whole season of Mad Man from AMC and it took up quite a chunk of space on my old Toshiba RD-XS52 from SD cable source. If I get this new DVR w/ digital tuner and start recording /seasonpass/ of BSG or some other hip HD shows like Houe, the wee 160G won't hold.

Has anyone has performed this type of surgery? I know if will void the warranty... Forgive me if this is not the right forum for the question.

Thanks.

I've tried...but Philips,like the others uses a proprietary disk format...and to make the replacement we need a service disk and a service remote control...
I've done it with my other dvr,a pioneer using a 750Gb HDD,but I've waited a long long time to get what I needed to do the operation...
post #84 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Just be advised - opening the unit (there's a seal that will
break) will void the warranty.

...there's no seal inside...you can hardly find such a seal nowadays...
post #85 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:

It' sprobably UDF 1.02. See this WIki entry for details.

UDF implemented on HDD?It's very hard to believe....honestly....I really don't think so...
post #86 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3bash View Post

...there's no seal inside...you can hardly find such a seal nowadays...

It's not inside, but on the outside, in the back.
post #87 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

It's not inside, but on the outside, in the back.

you're right...you didn't mention "inside"....sorry..
post #88 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

This might be irrelevent, but it does relate the the 3575.
Wabjxo, I should have followed your advice and left the 3575 in my cart the other day. I had a heck of a time locating one today. I tried 3 Walmarts, 1 CC, and 1 BB, all to no avail. The kid at BB made a interesting statement though. He said he has had several inquiries from people interested in a HDD DVR, only having to turn them away. I told him, if he could, to suggest Walmart and the 3575. He said he would. I find it funny that BB sells many Philips units, but not this one. Seems odd to me, that a person has to go to a discount store like Walmart, to score a top of the line unit like this...Odd

I also asked the sales person at Walmart if they were going to get more 3575's and she looked it up, and said yes. She said they were good sellers. Oh, and for once I did get the 2 yr. extended warranty for $17.88, the unit was $298 B4 tax.

After I've played with the unit for a while, I'll give you direct comparisons of PQ on this unit, to my Panasonic DMR-EZ17(all be it JMO). By the way my unit is a Aug 07 date, the only other new one they had was a July 07 date, and the display was a April 07.
post #89 of 25743 Old 12-06-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3bash View Post

I've tried...but Philips,like the others uses a proprietary disk format...and to make the replacement we need a service disk and a service remote control....

I wonder if it is truely a proprietary disk format or rather an encrypted disk.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #90 of 25743 Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Does your digital TV have more digital channels than your 3575?

If so, your 3575 may have more digital channels than what you scanned in.

I found two "hidden" digital channels that didn't get scanned in on my unit. They were part of a channel group that had mixed scrambled/unscrambled minor channels.

It's possible* that, if the 3575 finds an XX.1 channel that's Scrambled, it passes over any other minor channels that might be in that group that are NOT scrambled.

This post has more info on finding my two extra digital channels... look for "Finding Hidden Digital Channels...."

*NOTE: I had this posted earlier but deleted it to try a rescan for verification. However, once digital channels are scanned in, they're in and I didn't want to do a reset to lose all tuning before my rescan verification.

I thought I needed verification cuz I can't PROVE the 3575 skips a group of channels if the XX.1 channel is scrambled, but none of my 3575s have the two "hidden" channels mentioned above, and I've scanned at different times and one recently. I'm only slightly worried that my cable provider ADDED those two channels between then and now, so my auto-scans missed them???

Still worth a look for "missing" 3575 major channels that your TV receives.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page