Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 303 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

A friend who's just buying his first HD television asked about HD recorders for OTA. I told him I only know of one (the one by DISH/ECHOSTAR) and that I don't think it's available any more.(...)

The DTVPal DVR is still available and, is on sale for $199.99 at Sears.
Click here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

A friend who's just buying his first HD television asked about HD recorders for OTA. I told him I only know of one (the one by DISH/ECHOSTAR) and that I don't think it's available any more.

Would those of you with either a Philips or a Maggie AND an HD television be able to recommend one of "our" recorders as a decent sub for an actual HD machine?

I'm asking now because he talked about it today with me AND Wajo says the recorders are available again.

(PS- I've heard that SD stuff on an HD screen can look really bad unless you carefully adjust the picture. Any suggestions on what changes to make for him? Unless he gets a 2160, he'll likely still be using a VCR with a digital converter box as a recorder!)

I would. A perfect SD signal looks quite nice on a HD television. I have a Sony 32XBR9 fed via component from my H2160. A crappy analog signal still looks crappy or worse. Now, one big problem will be if your friend likes 5.1 since the H2160 is stereo only on the hard drive. Even that can be helped with a decent receiver (A/V or not) with various DSP options. As for the math, SVHS is still only 400 lines and SD is at least 480i. That counts. I'm cable only, but have heard here that OTA is great and the H2160 has a fine tuner. I have three Sony DHG-HDD250 HD recorders. There ain't that much difference (except for the sound). I also record a lot to DVD, which is also 400 lines and 2ch. Since most SD channels start out in HD anyway, the SD quality is quite high. Get the H2160 or Philips and your friend can record enough material to grow a beard watching it. [joke, really, a joke]
Old 04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

The DTVPal DVR is still available and, is on sale for $199.99 at Sears.
Click here.

Dropping the price that much could be notice of a new version. If that new version supported cable, I'd jump on it instantly.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

It's an Auto Clock "spin-up" at noon and midnight (bad time for light-sleepers with units in bdrm) to search for a time signal. It does a complete channel scan for a signal until it finds one or fails, then spins down. Turning the unit on stops the time search.

You can set Auto Clock to search only one channel with the Auto Clock Setting > Manual menu, which it does quickly, or you can turn Auto Clock OFF so it doesn't search any channels.

Clock setting options and procedures are described in detail here.

Click #1 in my sig. and bookmark for ref. to lots of other help files, when needed.

P.S. My Vizio LCD will sometimes turn itself on, as well as my DVDR attached to it via HDMI... probably the EDID comm. system (info here)... no such thing when HDMI not connected. HDMI = another wonderful invention designed to "enhance the viewer experience."

Thanks for your response, Wajo.

In the initial set-up, I had set the clock manually because I had read in this Forum warnings about automatic clock setting. After reading your response, I checked and found that the automatic clock was on. I had since turned it off. Hopefully, this would solve the problem.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiusheung View Post

Thanks for your response, Wajo.

In the initial set-up, I had set the clock manually because I had read in this Forum warnings about automatic clock setting. After reading your response, I checked and found that the automatic clock was on. I had since turned it off. Hopefully, this would solve the problem.

Auto Clock ON is the default so if you lose power for longer than 30-sec. check your clock settings, plus any others you customized like SKIP time, etc.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by embertexas View Post

Need help with my 3576. Lately, during playback of show recorded OTA onto the HDD, two of the recordings will go black screen for several minutes. I can FF and get a display of the recording back. So far, the two times have happened on the same channel. If I hit INFO, I get the display bar so I know the 3576 can still output. Is the HDD going bad, the tuner losing signal or what? Any ideas?

I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. I doubt there is any problem with the 3576 itself. It's more an indication that either there is a problem with the broadcast itself or there is a signal issue.

I've noticed that some of my local stations will ocassionally broadcast several minutes of black screen. I assume that this is an editing error. In some cases, I can still see the station logo on the screen and maybe even hear the audio, but there is no picture. If this is the case, there is nothing that you can do to correct it since it is a problem at the station.

However, loss of picture on the 3576 may also indicate poor reception. If you have a signal meter available on your TV or a converter box, you definitely want to use it as a reference for optimizing your antenna positioning. If the problem persists, you may need to consider upgrading your antenna system.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Auto Clock ON is the default so if you lose power for longer than 30-sec. check your clock settings, plus any others you customized like SKIP time, etc.

Master wajo, just wanted to mention that my PBS clock issue is repeatable. Tonight I will find out if it's due to a update of all PBS stations via XDS. If you read my rant on XDS, I left out its other use: to update affiliates with data. If that's true I might know tonight. I set my Mitsu VCR to use PBS to set the clock. If it has bad time tomorrow, it's a good bet that the H2160 is getting screwed up by random data in the time field. The H2160 and its manual both say to set your unit to the local PBS channel. If the clock is off, I'd bet my 500gb drive that it's PBS playing games at midnight. It has never had a problem at noon. Time will tell.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Master wajo, just wanted to mention that my PBS clock issue is repeatable. Tonight I will find out if it's due to a update of all PBS stations via XDS. If you read my rant on XDS, I left out its other use: to update affiliates with data. If that's true I might know tonight. I set my Mitsu VCR to use PBS to set the clock. If it has bad time tomorrow, it's a good bet that the H2160 is getting screwed up by random data in the time field. The H2160 and its manual both say to set your unit to the local PBS channel. If the clock is off, I'd bet my 500gb drive that it's PBS playing games at midnight. It has never had a problem at noon. Time will tell.

My state PBS stations have the worst, most inconsistently stupid, most screwed up time signal ever devised by mankind or broadcast engineers in training! I NEVER use PBS for time!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

A friend who's just buying his first HD television asked about HD recorders for OTA. I told him I only know of one (the one by DISH/ECHOSTAR) and that I don't think it's available any more.

Would those of you with either a Philips or a Maggie AND an HD television be able to recommend one of "our" recorders as a decent sub for an actual HD machine?

It kind of depends on how picky your friend is going to be about having true HD. When I bought my first HDTV, I happily used my Philips 3576 for about a year. The picture is definitely not as sharp as true HD, but it was very watchable in my opinion. Definitely a step up from a VCR and converter box.

About a year ago, I upgraded to a TiVo HD which is a fabulous option if one can afford it. I love the set it and forget it nature of TiVo, but it's not cheap.

As someone else mentioned, the DTVPal DVR has been on sale recently at Sears, and it will soon be available from Channel Master as the CM-7000PAL DVR.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Walmart just rolled back the 2160A to $198!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Noticed it's no longer sold in stores too. Shall I tell Amazon?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I'm asking now because he talked about it today with me AND Wajo says the recorders are available again.

(PS- I've heard that SD stuff on an HD screen can look really bad unless you carefully adjust the picture. Any suggestions on what changes to make for him? Unless he gets a 2160, he'll likely still be using a VCR with a digital converter box as a recorder!)

If I may be so bold as to inject my noob'ness into the subject, I just began using a new 2160 and can report that recorded/played HD quality is fantastic, even on SP. That is, *IF* it's recorded via the built-in tuner/external antenna (digital format.)

It's not as fantastic through the analog front or back panel composite/S-Video inputs though. I'm still experimenting in that area. The 2160's record/play performance is WAY ahead of his VCR though so your friend should be very happy with a 2160 for the money.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM

I've never seen a 2160 or 2160A at any of our local Super Walmart locations. I would prefer to purchase from a local store than online, alhough Walmart's online process, and delivery, is generally excellent. With the rollback to $198, I wonder if they're just closing out the inventory, preparing to introduce a new model, or it's just a temporary rollback? Regardless, it makes a refurb from J & R less tempting.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

I just began using a new 2160 and can report that recorded/played HD quality is fantastic, even on SP. That is, *IF* it's recorded via the built-in tuner/external antenna (digital format.)

It's not as fantastic through the analog front or back panel composite/S-Video inputs though.

That's probably because it doesn't have any "clean-up" circuitry through the composite inputs, like some of the older recorders do.

I found similar results when hooking my Dish tuner up to the H2080 through composite, which I thought looked much better through my old Panasonics. I guess it depends on what kind of quality the external signal is to begin with. My Dish signal is pretty over-compressed and so-so. But if there isn't much there for it to "clean up"...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

If I may be so bold as to inject my noob'ness into the subject, I just began using a new 2160 and can report that recorded/played HD quality is fantastic, even on SP. That is, *IF* it's recorded via the built-in tuner/external antenna (digital format.)

It's not as fantastic through the analog front or back panel composite/S-Video inputs though. I'm still experimenting in that area. The 2160's record/play performance is WAY ahead of his VCR though so your friend should be very happy with a 2160 for the money.

The quality thru the line inputs depends on your source.

Some of my line-rec experience and others is described in this help file.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colloquor View Post

I've never seen a 2160 or 2160A at any of our local Super Walmart locations. I would prefer to purchase from a local store than online, alhough Walmart's online process, and delivery, is generally excellent. With the rollback to $198, I wonder if they're just closing out the inventory, preparing to introduce a new model, or it's just a temporary rollback? Regardless, it makes a refurb from J & R less tempting.

With the price drop they no longer offer it in stores. It was nice of you to give it 5 stars. I hope they are closing out the inventory; I love to buy new stuff. Watch Amazon too. They should also drop their price.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

On Amazon they show the H2160 with a link that says:

See newer model of this item

It gives you a 404 error, but it does follow the price drop from Walmart. Interesting.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Target's 404 page identifies the new model as the MDR513H.

Stay tuned!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Funai MDR513H-F7 Magnavox 320gb Hdd/dvd Recorder Combo, Digital Tuner, 1080p Up-convert

Shown on Target, but out of stock:
http://www.target.com/Magnavox-HDD-R.../dp/B003DPKOKK
Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

2010 Model: Magnavox MDR513H with 320GB HDD

The MDR513H is a 2160A, except for the following:
  1. 2X larger HDD.
  2. Auto Clock OFF as default.
  3. FW bug gone.
Manual is virtually identical to 2160A manual. Only slight diff. is in the HDD capacity chart and the Auto Clock discussion. More words in Clock section on potential Auto Clock problems and how to set it ON if you really want it.

Same remote. Still no remote codes but multiple machines can be operated individually for normal recording and playback as described here.

Since the FW in the 513 is nearly identical to the 2160A, the usable HDD capacity is probably still FW-limited to 500GB... but this is still speculation since no one has tried a 1TB or larger drive.

See Section 11 here for Sellers and a list of help files.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Wow!
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Except for the MDR513H-F7's 320GB HDD and component inputs, I don't see any specs (albeit the listed specs are very few at the moment) that are grossly different from the H2160MW9A. I am missing something with the excitement here? Certainly, there has to be some major changes, but perhaps not.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

If it has Componant Input, wouldn't that make it the first and only DVDR to have that feature?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Except for the old Polaroid 2001G.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazon's 404 page identifies the new model as the MDR513H.

Stay tuned!

Called it. It's on Target.com too. What'd I say? $199 means clear out inventory for a new model!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except for the old Polaroid 2001G.

From page 46 of the manual:
Quote:
Input
Composite video input (front and rear)
S-video input (Y+C)
DV input (1394)
RF input
Analog audio input

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Called it. It's on Target.com too. What'd I say? $199 means clear out inventory for a new model!

Sorry, my mistake, I should have written "Target" instead of Amazon.

That "new model" message is now gone on the 2160 page, prob. cuz they now have a real product page for the MDR513H.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

From page 46 of the manual:

As listed and illustrated (items 11 & 12) on pg 4 of the Polaroid 2001G manual:

1. RF signal input
2. RF signal output
3. Composite video input (rear)
4. S-video input
5. Audio input (rear left/right)
6. 5.1Ch audio output
7. Composite video output
8. S-video output (rear)
9. Digital audio-optical output
10. Digital audio-coaxial output
11. Component videos input
12. Component videos output (Y, Pr/Cr, Pb/Cb)

Many people bought the 2001G just for its Component Input cuz it passes the signal thru to S-Video out, so it serves as a WS "preserver" for the S-Video output to our DVDRs.

It'll be very interesting to see if the 513 does have Comp. Input and if so if it passes a WS signal thru to S-Video out so people with STBs that letterbox everything won't need an external and expensive "converter."

That was the specific need stated in our Wish List (item 14).

Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Speaking of component inputs & such...

Does a commercial stand-alone device exist that converts a component signal into a digital channel freq. that could be recognized & tuned by the 2160's antenna input? May be a stoopid question but I'm curious.

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com