Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9271 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I get virtually 100% of my recorded TV from the five major networks in my "Broadcast Basic" cable TV pkg, the only tier still "regulated" since the Comm. Act of 1996.

My sub. fee has gone up from $36/m to $61/m in the last 6 months or so. I'm trying to convince my CFO/wife (who's computer-averse) to try an antenna for her beloved Soaps and our weekly network shows. She says she'd miss History, TLC, Travel, Food, Lifetime, TNT, DIscovery and A&E, all of which we get in digital in our Broadcast Basic cable feed.

At the rate of cable fee escalation seen so far, it won't be long before I can make a serious financial argument for an antenna!?

Here's some interesting 2006 stats on cable TV penetration in the U.S. market.

The 58% market penetration is important to us and the cable industry since the FCC can start some "diversity/competition" actions when that gets to 70%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am OTA for most everything using my 3575 and 2160a. The broadcast HD picture quality is the best! I either watch most other programs on-line in Hulu or on other sites or download and watch from http://eztv.it/
It takes several hours to download an episode depending on your internet connection speed. Thay are available in standard and 720p resolutions. I watch and then delete the show. Most are uploaded within hours of the original broadcast. You must use a ********** client but this is the safest site on the internet. It only has TV shows.
post #9273 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmike View Post

I am OTA for most everything using my 3575 and 2160a. The broadcast HD picture quality is the best! I either watch most other programs on-line in Hulu or on other sites or download and watch from http://eztv.it/
It takes several hours to download an episode depending on your internet connection speed. Thay are available in standard and 720p resolutions. I watch and then delete the show. Most are uploaded within hours of the original broadcast. You must use a ********** client but this is the safest site on the internet. It only has TV shows.

You'll have to use at least one space, prob. in the site name, in your AVS-blasted link for it to show in reasonably intact form. Test with the Preview first.
post #9274 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

If they click on the other link they will figure it out.
post #9275 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 AM

TiVo Plunges as Victory Against Echostar Reconsidered by Court

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- TiVo Inc. [stock] fell 40 percent in Nasdaq trading after an appeals court said it would reconsider the company's legal victory against Dish Network Corp. and EchoStar Corp. for infringing a digital-video recording services patent.

More here: Full Appeals Court To Reconsider TiVo/DISH Case

There's always hope
post #9276 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldwolf View Post

TiVo Plunges as Victory Against Echostar Reconsidered by Court

May 14 (Bloomberg) -- TiVo Inc. [stock] fell 40 percent in Nasdaq trading after an appeals court said it would reconsider the company's legal victory against Dish Network Corp. and EchoStar Corp. for infringing a digital-video recording services patent.

More here: Full Appeals Court To Reconsider TiVo/DISH Case

There's always hope

Karma.
post #9277 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Is it me or did some post just dissapear?
post #9278 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Someone may have changed their mind and deleted their post.
post #9279 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

I understand the TiVo infringements with cable and satellite but you have to wonder why there's not more competition for a DVD recorder with HDD for the OTA folks. Of course folks like us with accounts on this forum generally have cable or satellite but there are still plenty of people who have only OTA.

I think there is as much device competition as there is a market to support it. OTA-only folks like myself have plenty of choices: TiVo at the high-end, DTVPal DVR in the middle and DVD recorders at the low-end. The do-it-your-selfers have a number of ATSC tuner cards for HTPC construction. The OTA'ers with legacy DVDR's, equipped with IR blasters, just attached CECB's and continued to use their equipment until they get the urge for HD. We don't have to worry about copy protection nor about channel frequencies being shifted at random and we don't have to pay any extra for HD. There is more than enough content to watch on the Networks and a $9 subscription to NetFlix provides lots of streamed content and DVD/BD of all those cable shows we would like to see. And the best part, what I have saved in cable fees over the years has been regularly applied to the acquisition of new toys, the latest being a media server.

I tell you, life is real good for the OTA crowd, real good.

Damn, I think I'm gonna' go skip down the hall now

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9280 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Someone may have changed their mind and deleted their post.

It was Master wajo. It may just be a rewrite.
post #9281 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm having problems with my new Magnavox H2160. One week after I got it a series recording was missed. Later that day I turned it on and had no picture. None of the buttons on the box or remote worked so I unplugged it for 10 minutes. All was fine until last weekend. Two series recordings were missing from the list (others were still there). I just set them up again. Last night again no picture, no response from any buttons. Had to unplug again. This time I noticed the clock was stuck at 10:58- 2 minutes before a series recording was to start. (actual time was around 11:20).
My set up is simple- cable from the wall, hooked up to t.v. with coaxial and A/V cables. Auto clock and progressive scan are off.
I will try the "skip 123" tonight or tomorrow but I'm wondering if I have a bad unit. Any thoughts?
post #9282 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I think there is as much device competition as there is a market to support it. OTA-only folks like myself have plenty of choices: TiVo at the high-end, DTVPal DVR in the middle and DVD recorders at the low-end. The do-it-your-selfers have a number of ATSC tuner cards for HTPC construction. The OTA'ers with legacy DVDR's, equipped with IR blasters, just attached CECB's and continued to use their equipment until they get the urge for HD. We don't have to worry about copy protection nor about channel frequencies being shifted at random and we don't have to pay any extra for HD. There is more than enough content to watch on the Networks and a $9 subscription to NetFlix provides lots of streamed content and DVD/BD of all those cable shows we would like to see. And the best part, what I have saved in cable fees over the years has been regularly applied to the acquisition of new toys, the latest being a media server.

I tell you, life is real good for the OTA crowd, real good.

Damn, I think I'm gonna' go skip down the hall now

Unless you are pretty tech savvy, one cannot even understand what you wrote. If I e-mailed your response to my parents or in laws it might as well have been written in Japanese.

What do the OTA folks do who can't set the time on their VCR? There is precious little choice for a person who wants to own (not lease) a device where they can set it to tape Martha Stewart and not have to look up what station she's on or how long the show runs for or whatever. In other words there is a market for a user friendly TV Guide function.
post #9283 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atti View Post

I'm having problems with my new Magnavox H2160. One week after I got it a series recording was missed. Later that day I turned it on and had no picture. None of the buttons on the box or remote worked so I unplugged it for 10 minutes. All was fine until last weekend. Two series recordings were missing from the list (others were still there). I just set them up again. Last night again no picture, no response from any buttons. Had to unplug again. This time I noticed the clock was stuck at 10:58- 2 minutes before a series recording was to start. (actual time was around 11:20).
My set up is simple- cable from the wall, hooked up to t.v. with coaxial and A/V cables. Auto clock and progressive scan are off.
I will try the "skip 123" tonight or tomorrow but I'm wondering if I have a bad unit. Any thoughts?

If you haven't done the FW update, try it as described here.
post #9284 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM

I will do that, but I thought it only fixed a dvd finalize problem? I haven't yet tried recording to DVD.
post #9285 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

What do the OTA folks do who can't set the time on their VCR? There is precious little choice for a person who wants to own (not lease) a device where they can set it to tape Martha Stewart and not have to look up what station she's on or how long the show runs for or whatever.

The way Kelson wrote it, yeah - I wouldn't expect a blank slate-type to understand it. But it can be written in much simpler, easier-to-understand terms for those types of people.

It's more fear of technology, resistance to change and laziness/"learned helplessness" than it is just "not being capable" with a lot of people (it's not like it's really that difficult of a thing to do).

If someone's that feeble-minded, they're probably retired (and maybe senility's setting in) or disabled and sitting home watching TV live a lot of the time, so they don't even really need to time shift. And then again, someone in that state probably shouldn't be without at least some kind of supervision or checking in on, anyway.

Anybody that's not in that state can learn if they really want to. As far as programming info, if they're already big fans of a show, I would think they'd already know which channel and what time it's on. Most Sunday papers give you a TV guide, too.

Where there's a will, there's a way. If you constantly treat people like they're helpless, they're going to get conditioned to be helpless.
post #9286 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unless you are pretty tech savvy, one cannot even understand what you wrote. If I e-mailed your response to my parents or in laws it might as well have been written in Japanese.

What do the OTA folks do who can't set the time on their VCR? There is precious little choice for a person who wants to own (not lease) a device where they can set it to tape Martha Stewart and not have to look up what station she's on or how long the show runs for or whatever. In other words there is a market for a user friendly TV Guide function.

The person you seem to be concerned about is not really a candidate for the DVDRs discussed in this forum. If someone could not set the clock on a VCR, I don't see how they will ever be able to make use of these units. They should be looking to TIVO, or cable or satellite company supplied equipment. They may not want to lease, but as Dempey of Dempsey and Makepeace used to say, "Life is hard and then you die." You are not always going to get what you want when your own skills and ambition limit your possibilities.

Just adding a program guide is not going to solve all their problems. I also don't think a program guide that would meet their needs is going to be free. I really don't think a PSIP based guide is going to have enough visibility and information to be sufficient.

I suppose the government could always provide a free service to have people go to the homes of those who are not up to programming their recorders, and do it for them on a regular basis. They could even set up the equipment for them. Wouldn't that be great! Think of all the jobs it could create.
OK, I'll drop the facetiousness, but I don't think it is practical to adapt a product like this to the lowest common denominator. Some products are simply not going to be usable by everyone.
post #9287 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 PM

I have done the AON setup, but my Magnavox 2160 will still not tune the 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) HD channels I can tune on my Sharp Aquos TV. I have Suddenlink cable, which goes directly into the Magnavox.

Any more ideas?
post #9288 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 PM

TiVo is offering "Factory ReNewed" DVR's on their website, starting at $49.99 (including FREE shipping).

Any takers?
post #9289 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanwink View Post

I have done the AON setup, but my Magnavox 2160 will still not tune the 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) HD channels I can tune on my Sharp Aquos TV. I have Suddenlink cable, which goes directly into the Magnavox.

Any more ideas?

Just to confirm your AON success, are you now able to surf thru ALL 135 digital channels with the CH+/- button... after switching to the digital tuner first, of course?

You should be able to surf from 2.1, to 3.1, etc. all the way to 135.1. You should see one or more of these as you surf: blank channels, "Scrambled" channels and, hopefully, tuned channels with a pic.

If you can't find ANY good channels with all the digitals in CH+/- memory, only things left are (in this order since you've got all digitals in memory now from the AON):
  1. A series of Auto Channel Presets. Those will clean up the channel memory and I've found the tuners in my 3575 and original 2160 get "better" at finding channels the more Auto Presets I do.
  2. Skip 123+OK Reset.
If those don't bring those channels around, the tuner must be defective?
post #9290 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldwolf View Post

TiVo is offering "Factory ReNewed" DVR's on their website, starting at $49.99 (including FREE shipping).

Any takers?

$100 for a Tivo HD is a good price, but like many products, it's not the cost of the hardware but the cost of the software
That $100 Tivo HD will cost you $500 with lifetime service, or $12.95/month for the rest of it's life.
post #9291 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 PM

hi all.....

i havnt been on avs for several weeks so i have many pages of reading to catch up on....but first i wanted to let anyone who's interested know about this hard drive deal from newegg before its over.....it seems perfect for the 2160 or whatever other dvr units...its 500 gb...low power/low heat/low noise green design...and its only $45 with free shipping!

its a Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive .....
newegg.com Item # N82E16822136358

its at the top of this page >

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...er-_-ClickHere

if that link doesnt work for whatever reason heres the direct link....just use promo code EMCYSZR27 to get the $45 price >

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-22136358-LH1A

sorry if this has already been discussed....i'm going to go catch up on my reading now....

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
post #9292 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 View Post

hi all.....

i havnt been on avs for several weeks so i have many pages of reading to catch up on....but first i wanted to let anyone who's interested know about this hard drive deal from newegg before its over.....it seems perfect for the 2160 or whatever other dvr units...its 500 gb...low power/low heat/low noise green design...and its only $45 with free shipping!

its a Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive .....
newegg.com Item # N82E16822136358

its at the top of this page >

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...er-_-ClickHere

if that link doesnt work for whatever reason heres the direct link....just use promo code EMCYSZR27 to get the $45 price >

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-22136358-LH1A

sorry if this has already been discussed....i'm going to go catch up on my reading now....

Good deal on a Caviar Green. I wonder if the overall power savings would offset the fact that it's not primarily an AV rated drive.
post #9293 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any more ideas?

Additional questions:

Does the output of the H2160 go to your TV?

Add your location to your UserCP tab. There may be someone on the thread in your zipcode. Looking at the cable web site, what's your zipcode?

Can it tune analog or SD channels? What does your TV report as the channel number for those 4 network channels?

You can't provide too much information. We all like to help.
post #9294 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

The person you seem to be concerned about is not really a candidate for the DVDRs discussed in this forum. If someone could not set the clock on a VCR, I don't see how they will ever be able to make use of these units.

OK, I'll drop the facetiousness, but I don't think it is practical to adapt a product like this to the lowest common denominator. Some products are simply not going to be usable by everyone.

You're not too far off the mark. My father has asked me many times to come down to Florida. He's told me I could make a mint just going to retiree homes to make their email work or hook up a modem. Seriously. There are still thousands of VCRs flashing 12:00. People who retire down there, or in the southwest, would pay a lot so they could see a video of their grandchildren on YouTube.

As an another example, my mother would call me up and ask me to "tape" her "stories" since she was going on the bus to Atlantic City. I'd try to explain to her that her CBS is not my CBS. Then I gave her my old Sony HD TV and all she wanted to be shown was channel 6 (analog) and how to set the sleep timer. We have to love our relatives and I'm sure we all know someone who would never use the 2160 if it was free. We are a special group here. My worst nightmare came true when my sister wanted to buy a laptop. I almost left the country.
post #9295 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Good deal on a Caviar Green. I wonder if the overall power savings would offset the fact that it's not primarily an AV rated drive.

Totally meaningless and simply does not matter.

The factory drives are PC drives.

The recommended replacements are PC drives.

AV drives are designed for video farms, they are no better or worse than PC drives in these recorders. The features and capabilities of AV drives are irrelevant in the Funai.
post #9296 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:

What numbers are ABC, CBS, NBS and Fox on the Aquos? It seems unlikely, but maybe the Virtual channels are screwed up and the Funai cannot identify them.

First step is to figure out if the Aquos is tuning Actual Channels or Virtual Channels. You can look up silicondust.com to find the Actual broadcast channels and the Virtual channels for your area.
post #9297 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

If you haven't done the FW update, try it as described here.

I installed the firmware update. Did this involve a hard reset or should I still do the 'skip 123 ok'?

Still wondering if it's a bad unit. I just haven't heard anyone mention these kinds of problems on a brand new one.
post #9298 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:

I installed the firmware update. Did this involve a hard reset or should I still do the 'skip 123 ok'?

Still wondering if it's a bad unit. I just haven't heard anyone mention these kinds of problems on a brand new one.

atti -

If you did a v.skip123 before the FW update and wrote down the old FW version number, then you can do another v.skip123 and see if the new FW version number is correct. (See Wajo's post here for more FW details).

As concerns replacing the unit, my suggestion would be, if you have any doubts whatsoever about the units performance, then I'd return it to the retailer ASAP and get a brand-new replacement. (You'll sleep sounder. )

Good luck

PS - I have 2 of these units. One is a 2160, the second a 2160A. Both were 'Referbs' and work perfectly, so I don't plan on updating the FW in the 2160A for a while. I don't mind changing the channel setting to L3, when I need to finalize a disk.
post #9299 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think a FW update does a similar thing as a hard reset... if your channel memory is gone, that's part of a typical FW update based on my exp.

If channel memory is gone, this would also be a good time to do the SKIP 123+OK reset for good measure.

See how things are after these steps.
post #9300 of 25741 Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Yes, I get quite a few channels -- all basic digital channels. The only ones I cannot get are the HD versions of the major broadcast networks.

I ran through the auto channel setup several times this afternoon, to no avail.

You've provided some really great instructions!

Thanks for the help,

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Just to confirm your AON success, are you now able to surf thru ALL 135 digital channels with the CH+/- button... after switching to the digital tuner first, of course?

You should be able to surf from 2.1, to 3.1, etc. all the way to 135.1. You should see one or more of these as you surf: blank channels, "Scrambled" channels and, hopefully, tuned channels with a pic.

If you can't find ANY good channels with all the digitals in CH+/- memory, only things left are (in this order since you've got all digitals in memory now from the AON):
  1. A series of Auto Channel Presets. Those will clean up the channel memory and I've found the tuners in my 3575 and original 2160 get "better" at finding channels the more Auto Presets I do.
  2. Skip 123+OK Reset.
If those don't bring those channels around, the tuner must be defective?

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page