Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 313 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9361 of 25851 Old 05-19-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

That's $313 with tax in MI.

I'm glad I did not wait for this. I just paid a total of $305 for TWO [2] units of the 2160's [refurbs] incl tax & shipping. The first unit was virtually new. Haven't received the second unit yet.

Sure would be nice to have that 320 gig HDD though!

Guess maybe I should wait for a few reviews before I finalize my thoughts on this. Maybe something really great will unexpectedly pop up.

Jer

Consider adding a 500gb drive to one of the units. With 60 titles of 60 minutes or more in HQ I still have 50 hours free. With a SATA drive the hardest part is turning a screw driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 25851 Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghpr13 View Post

So either they print up the spec sheet before they make the units, or no one at Funai noticed that they didn't include the VHS part of the unit...
Ghpr13

Interesting. Have you noticed that when you do the VSkip 321 on the H2160A to see the LD usage time usage that all of the icons on the front panel display light up and you can see the little VCR icon and the letters VCR?

This must be a hold-over from a prior usage of the display *and* a hold-over of some of the blurb too. Has anyone purchased the new one yet to see if the VHS slot is in the back.

Now I just need one that plays Betamax too!
post #9363 of 25851 Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

I received the western dig WD5000AADS drive and copied 25%of the 500gb HDS721050CLA362 Hitachi I had put in last week ,to it, there were about 30 titles on it , it took about 15 minutes to copy about 50gbs. everything was there all titles and it showed the remaining capacity of the 500gb drive. The one thing I noticed is that I also copied the original 160gb drive to the 500gb also set the copier to 25% it copied everything but only showed the remaining of the 160gb drive.

Could you please compare the partition tables of the 500gb and 160gb drives and summarize the differences here? There must be a drive size field in there somewhere. And if possible, please post images of both partition tables somewhere so that we can download them. Thanks.
post #9364 of 25851 Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Consider adding a 500gb drive to one of the units. With 60 titles of 60 minutes or more in HQ I still have 50 hours free. With a SATA drive the hardest part is turning a screw driver.

JoeKustra, I'm new to this thread and admit with so much info and so many pages, I've not caught up reviewing the good advice, tips, etc.. I'm sure there must be instructions posted somewhere herein to step through HDD replacement. Also suggestions on various drives that will serve as replacement/upgrades. Request advice and any suggestions as to installing 500GB HDD in 2160A? Thanks in advance!!!
post #9365 of 25851 Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compubooth View Post

I'm sure there must be instructions posted somewhere herein to step through HDD replacement. Also suggestions on various drives that will serve as replacement/upgrades. Request advice and any suggestions as to installing 500GB HDD in 2160A?

The first post in this sticky thread is the Table Of Contents to a wealth of information addressing all the questions you might have:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

See section 8.a., found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=39

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9366 of 25851 Old 05-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Hi Joe,

I had a nice reply typed out & lost it.

Let me just say that I would like very much to do that, but have some unexplained, irrational adversion to doing stuff like that.

Jer
post #9367 of 25851 Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR7L View Post

Interesting. Have you noticed that when you do the VSkip 321 on the H2160A to see the LD usage time usage that all of the icons on the front panel display light up and you can see the little VCR icon and the letters VCR?

This must be a hold-over from a prior usage of the display *and* a hold-over of some of the blurb too. Has anyone purchased the new one yet to see if the VHS slot is in the back.

Now I just need one that plays Betamax too!

And has Quadraphonic sound!

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #9368 of 25851 Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

That's $313 with tax in MI.

I'm glad I did not wait for this. I just paid a total of $305 for TWO [2] units of the 2160's [refurbs] incl tax & shipping. The first unit was virtually new. Haven't received the second unit yet.

Sure would be nice to have that 320 gig HDD though!

Guess maybe I should wait for a few reviews before I finalize my thoughts on this. Maybe something really great will unexpectedly pop up.

Jer

Well, I got my 2nd unit today. As with the first unit, everything was packed like new,everything was spotless - no signs of usage. Set it up. Seems to be functioning ok - but did not do any advanced stuff with it yet.

Build date was Jun 09 - same as my first unit
Ser # was 475 greater than the first unit.
DVD write time : 0 min
DVD read time: 29hr 08 min
CD time: 0
HDD Power On : 53 hrs

Pretty much a New Unit - like unit #1. I am very pleased & very lucky [so far].

Jer
post #9369 of 25851 Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:

......I just paid a total of $305 for TWO [2] units of the 2160's [refurbs] incl tax & shipping.......
Jer

Pleased to hear both 2160 refurb purchases worked out so well.

Question: As your cost for each unit works out to $152.50 including Michigan's 6% sales tax and shipping costs, I'm curious if you bought them from J&R or perhaps found a less expensive source elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.
post #9370 of 25851 Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Joe,

I had a nice reply typed out & lost it.

Let me just say that I would like very much to do that, but have some unexplained, irrational adversion to doing stuff like that.

Jer

Patience. Someday you may wish to experiment. The initial posts on this thread are very helpful. Ain't no rush.
post #9371 of 25851 Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldwolf View Post

Pleased to hear both 2160 refurb purchases worked out so well.

Question: As your cost for each unit works out to $152.50 including Michigan's 6% sales tax and shipping costs, I'm curious if you bought them from J&R or perhaps found a less expensive source elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Waldwolf,

Thanks for the good will.

I said "including tax" in order to compare them to buying a new one at walmart. At walmart, there is a 6% tax because walmart does business in MI. I bot them at J&R, and because they do not do business in MI, the sales tax was $0. I got the bing discount [$8] on each. So the cost of each was $151. Shipping on the first was $0, and on the second was $2.95.

Jer
post #9372 of 25851 Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

Could you please compare the partition tables of the 500gb and 160gb drives and summarize the differences here? There must be a drive size field in there somewhere. And if possible, please post images of both partition tables somewhere so that we can download them. Thanks.

While you're waiting, my old memory says there is no drive 'size' field. There is information on sectors, tracks, cylinders, etc. that can be used to compute a physical storage capacity. Try Google. It's free.
post #9373 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

SORRY no such info on this machine, you just set it let it do it's thing.does not show any partitions at all.

MickinCT
post #9374 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 AM

I have a 2160A, and recently did the firmware upgrade, though I don't know if that had anything to do with the situation. Anyway, last night I turned it on, and got only a solid green screen on the tv. I could tell from the front panel display that it was responding to the remote, I could change channels, change inputs, etc. But I could not get any video or audio to the tv. I had it connected via HDMI, so I tried connecting with the regular audio and video cables - still nothing. Finally, I did the VSKIP - 1 - 2 - 3 - OK, which fixed the problem. (It took a couple of tries to get it right, since I had no display and had to remember to hit "OK" at the end.) But I was in a near-panic for awhile there - I didn't want the unit to die on the weekend of the Lost series finale.
post #9375 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
AFAIC, HDMI is a PITA!

Do you have your 2160A's HDMI Control ON or OFF?
What brand/model of HDTV?
Progressive Scan ON or OFF?
post #9376 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 AM

HDMI control is OFF
The TV is a 32" Westinghouse (so who knows who actually made it).
Progressive scan is off.

I haven't had any problems since buying the unit several months ago, other than a glitch that requires switching the tv to another input, then back to HDMI before watching recorded programs (otherwise, the sound is garbled). I don't think HDMI was the cause of my "green screen" problem, since it was the same whether I connected via HDMI or with a composite cable.
post #9377 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Patience. Someday you may wish to experiment. The initial posts on this thread are very helpful. Ain't no rush.

Yeah Joe,

But the longer I wait, the more Good Stuff I will have on my HDD that I would not want to lose. I have quite a few movies on my first unit already. I can usually recycle movies every 2-4 years - forget enough in that time so I enjoy watching them again. I have been experimenting with DL TV programs from the web that I originally missed. I can only get 2 hrs on a DVD. If were to fill up my HDD with movies & decide to replace the drive with a bigger one, I would have to burn an awful lot of DVD's to save my movie collection. I would hate to have to start over.

Unless Mickinct would voulnteer to loan out his hard drive copier.

Jer
post #9378 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I"m in that boat. Was waiting to upgrade the HD.... last night I hit 0:00 time left on the 2160. Yikes! Blinking red light on front panel re timer ... but the machine seems fine and things played back ok. I deleted a few titles and it has a little space again. I was away and forgot that I had left it set, so ... it ran out of room. I think there are 50 titles on there now. Guess I'll be burning the midnight oil backing up for the next few days/weeks .... then maybe reformatting, then swapping drives. (Figurd I might as well clean it up , in case I ever need to use it again).
post #9379 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Looking for information on how to connect 2 mag 2160's up to one TV

I am on an antenna,

I figure I could go Antenna --> Splitter --> then one splitter lead to each recorder BUT how do I go from each Recorder Antenna output to the same Antenna input ???

Thanks Bill
post #9380 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post

Looking for information on how to connect 2 mag 2160's up to one TV

I am on an antenna,

I figure I could go Antenna --> Splitter --> then one splitter lead to each recorder BUT how do I go from each Recorder Antenna output to the same Antenna input ???

Just "daisy-chain" the coax, one to the other, ANT IN from antenna, then ANT OUT to ANT IN on 2nd unit, then ANT OUT to TV. I've got three set up on a "coax chain."

Connect line outs to different TV inputs and you're all set!
post #9381 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I"m in that boat. Was waiting to upgrade the HD.... last night I hit 0:00 time left on the 2160. Yikes! Blinking red light on front panel re timer ... but the machine seems fine and things played back ok. I deleted a few titles and it has a little space again. I was away and forgot that I had left it set, so ... it ran out of room. I think there are 50 titles on there now. Guess I'll be burning the midnight oil backing up for the next few days/weeks .... then maybe reformatting, then swapping drives. (Figurd I might as well clean it up , in case I ever need to use it again).

Hi Art,

By "backing up", do you mean dubbing to DVD? Or is there a way to transfer those titles to an external HD or a computer? I think I know the answer to my question, but I want to make sure.

Jer
post #9382 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Wajo Thank you, Seems so simple now, Thanks
3 WOW Ya mean, I can order another mag and have all shows covered

Thanks, will hook up the two now
post #9383 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I've got three set up on a "coax chain."

Hi Wajo,

Doesn't that give you a problem, trying to control one unit independent of the other 2 ??? Or are they set quite far apart?

Jer
post #9384 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Wajo,

Doesn't that give you a problem, trying to control one unit independent of the other 2 ??? Or are they set quite far apart?

Jer

You have to cover the IR for the remote controls to not conflict, or you can stack them horizontally instead of vertically and aim really well . I have two in a stack (separated by other equipment) and I still run into that problem, but it's worth it to have both machines. You just have to remember to cover the remote sensors. (I use a thick microfiber keyboard protector) I also use one for timed recordings (so you can keep the IR covered), and the other for stuff I'm watching live, and might want to change channels, etc, to minimize the overlap.
post #9385 of 25851 Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Art,

By "backing up", do you mean dubbing to DVD? Or is there a way to transfer those titles to an external HD or a computer? I think I know the answer to my question, but I want to make sure.

Jer

Dubbing (sorry!) It would be really great to be able to transfer them by drag and drop, wouldnt it ? I was thinking that maybe one of those drive caddies might work, but people have pretty much decided that while you can, with great effort, back up the whole drive, it's probably not worth the trouble - try to get into the habit of dubbing as you go. If you think you want to keep it, dub it right away (like live concert music, etc) and if you're on the fence, another option is to record one to HD and another version to rewritable media (if you have 2 machines). Then you have both at once, and can delete the disc version if you decide against keeping it. I don't usually go that far, but lately, if there's something I KNOW I want to share (or view on a different tv), I record to disc as well as to DRIVE (using 2 machines). It'd be cool if you could do both on the one recorder simultaneously, but that would be asking a lot!
post #9386 of 25851 Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Wajo,

My three DVDRs are a 3575, 2160 and Pio 640, so they all have independent remotes.

For someone with only 2160's, you can cover the IR sensor (in the far-right edge of front window) as described by Artwire, OR use the HDD/DVD button to set only the "target" unit to HDD.

If you turn both units on first, then set the target unit to HDD with the front-panel button and the other unit(s) to DVD, you can operate the target unit w/o interfering with the other unit(s).

You'd turn all 2160's on first cuz the PLAY button would turn them on anyway, then after setting the non-target units to DVD, they wouldn't be affected by any other button presses except SETUP.

Non-target units set on DVD would also do timer programs normally and would not be affected by the STOP button, so you can Play, Chase Play, Stop the target unit (the only one set on HDD) all you want w/o affecting the DVD_set units.
post #9387 of 25851 Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

You have to cover the IR for the remote controls to not conflict, or you can stack them horizontally instead of vertically and aim really well . I have two in a stack (separated by other equipment) and I still run into that problem, but it's worth it to have both machines. You just have to remember to cover the remote sensors. (I use a thick microfiber keyboard protector) I also use one for timed recordings (so you can keep the IR covered), and the other for stuff I'm watching live, and might want to change channels, etc, to minimize the overlap.

I have two Sony units that are less that 12" apart vertically. I made a cardboard cover, shaped like a C but square, that can cover the front. Painted silver, it looks like it belongs. But there is a cheaper quicker method. All I do is turn on one unit manually. There is no "on" code or "off" code, only a "power" code. So after I finish with one unit, the power button on the remote turns one off and the other on. Or I fight gravity and turn it off on the way to get another beer. I'd call that teamwork.
post #9388 of 25851 Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have two Sony units that are less that 12" apart vertically. I made a cardboard cover, shaped like a C but square, that can cover the front. Painted silver, it looks like it belongs. But there is a cheaper quicker method. All I do is turn on one unit manually. There is no "on" code or "off" code, only a "power" code. So after I finish with one unit, the power button on the remote turns one off and the other on. Or I fight gravity and turn it off on the way to get another beer. I'd call that teamwork.

You are a genius! I like the way you think.

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
post #9389 of 25851 Old 05-23-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I checked the OP but couldn't find any reference to recording the SAP instead of the main audio channel(on a 2160). My father says he recorded a movie the other day on his 2160 but when he plays it back it's in Spanish He says he watched the movie live and it was in English but not through the DVDR, rather his TVs tuner.
Is their a setting he could have accidentally pushed that would record the SAP instead of the main audio and where would that option be? I'm trying to do this over the phone so if you could tell me exactly what screens he needs to go into it would be appreciated. I assume the AUDIO button on the remote is more for playing back commercial DVDs with alternate audio tracks?
He says he has recorded several things after this movie and they are all in English, but I believe many times the SAP channel is just a duplicate English track and only occasionally does it have Spanish so he should probably get things set correct to avoid problems in the future.
TIA
post #9390 of 25851 Old 05-23-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jjeff, it's in the General Settings > Channel > TV Audio Select > Stereo/SAP.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page