Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 323 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9661 of 25743 Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
All normal on startup. You'll have to get another unit and put it in another room for that 4:30am program, or leave it on all night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 25743 Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

(I'm a light sleeper).

Well, then quit sleeping in the chandelier.

(Sorry - I've been watching too many "Bewitched" Uncle Arthur episodes.)
post #9663 of 25743 Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

New In Box (NIB) MDR513H on e-bay now currently bid at $154.50. It'll be interesting to see where this goes... less than 5 hours left.

If interested, click here.

Sold for $190.50 including shipping!!
post #9664 of 25743 Old 06-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

A few weeks, ago I got a Red Dot title on my DVDR3576. I was watching the first of 2 scheduled back to back recordings, while that program was still being recorded, and using Skip. etc. when the tuner switched to the second recording. When I later went to the Title menu, I saw 2 copies of the second recording, and both had the red dot. At the end of the scheduled time, the second copy of the second recording ended normally, but I still had a 0 length Red Dot one.

I saved the un-edited good copy of the second recording(to a DVD+RW), and then tried to delete both. I did not want to do any intervening recording or editing, because of my fears that the 2 copies might be linked in the file tables.

I had no problems getting rid of the properly ended file, but I could not originally get rid of the one with the Red Dot. I was also experiencing sound loss when I went into the Title menu, and I had to power cycle to get sound back.

I happened to go into the Title Menu and selected the Red Dot file. I then initiated a power cycle(Using the Remote), from within the Title Menu system(by accident). When I powered up, and went into the Title Menu, the Red Dot was gone, and I was able to delete the zero length file. After that my sound loss also stopped.

I don't know whether the power down with the problem file selected in the Title Menu actually cleared the Red Dot, or it was just coincidence, but you could give it a try. I don't think it could make things worse.

Good Luck!

FYI: I later dubbed the un-edited file back onto the HDD and did a successful edit and save to DVD.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried but no luck. So I went into HDD menu and deleted all titles. I tried this before with my 'good' recordings protected but it didn't deleted the bad one and still same symptoms. This time, with all titles unprotected, it deleted everything, including the red dot title. Just finished a new recording and all seems to be working again.
post #9665 of 25743 Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

just came across this in the manual ( I know... don't laugh). Not sure it's accurate,but it might answer the question about remaining HDD space

If there is not enough recordable space on HDD to
record from the selected point to current point, you
cannot record the content of autostart recording.
When you record the content of the autostart
recording, the recording mode will be SP.

Also, didn't realize it records at SP. Might be useful when trying to estimate remaining space.

IIRC Wajo's help indicates the mandatory SP saving of the buffer. What I get from this is that the remaining HDD space shown in the info does not include space for the buffer which will always exist. I was down to about 2 hrs of LP on the HDD but since got rid of a few titles so I have more working space. I suppose if you want to save the AR buffer and there isn't room for it there's no way to delete any existing titles without dumping the buffer.

As far as file formats, there is a utility out there called G-spot which will look into about any file format and determine what codec was used on the video and audio and if your computer has the right playback codecs installed. I take it mpeg-2 and DivX are the codecs the unit can handle. Is there a list somewhere?

scott s.
post #9666 of 25743 Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:

...The only problem that this presents to me occurs when the timer is set for the early morning (eg 4:30AM), and Maggie wakes me up (I'm a light sleeper).

If the 2160 is sitting on a hard surface, such as a wooden shelf, sounds can be amplified. You may recall years ago many offices used thin foam rubber pads under typewriters to reduce that 'clunk-clunk' noise.

Try putting one 'wool felt pad' (photo) under each corner of the 2160 unit. They're available in most hardware stores. Cost $1-$2 per pack of 4.
post #9667 of 25743 Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldwolf View Post

If the 2160 is sitting on a hard surface, such as a wooden shelf, sounds can be amplified. You may recall years ago many offices used thin foam rubber pads under typewriters to reduce that 'clunk-clunk' noise.

Try putting one 'wool felt pad' (photo) under each corner of the 2160 unit. They're available in most hardware stores. Cost $1-$2 per pack of 4.

Thanks much! Will give it a try.
post #9668 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Boy, what a quiet board! Everybody must be busy with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JER01 View Post

Hi all,

[2] Ocassionally, when I turn it on, it wants to tune in to either channel 111 analog, or channel 1.1 digital. The last couple times I turned it on & pressed the DTV/TV button, it first tuned to ch 111. When I pressed this button again, it tuned to ch 1.1. It does not seem to be repeatable. When I turn the unit off & then back on [to see if it will repeat], it tunes to the last station [as it should]. [Maybe time dependent?] When I first got the unit, I had this problem a couple times. I reran autoscan and it appeared to work properly for a while. But it is at it again. Thoughts?

Jer

Hi Wajo,

Well I guess the soft reset did not work. When I turned my 2160 on last night it was in DVD mode. I hit the HDD button & got a grey screen. Using the DTV/TV button got me grey screens & channels 111 & 1.2. Could turning the machine off while in the DVD mode have anything to do with it? Sometimes, when I turn it on, it tunes to the last channel, as it should. [Like this morning.]

Jer
post #9669 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Wajo,

Well I guess the soft reset did not work. When I turned my 2160 on last night it was in DVD mode. I hit the HDD button & got a grey screen. Using the DTV/TV button got me grey screens & channels 111 & 1.2. Could turning the machine off while in the DVD mode have anything to do with it? Sometimes, when I turn it on, it tunes to the last channel, as it should. [Like this morning.]

Turning off while on DVD shouldn't have anything to do with this mysterious problem.

Several things to try:

1. Delete those channels using Manual Channel Preset.

2. Make sure HDMI Control and Auto Clock are OFF.

3. If using HDMI, try Component or other to your TV.

Try those "nondestructive" tests first before we get serious!
post #9670 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Turning off while on DVD shouldn't have anything to do with this mysterious problem.

Several things to try:

1. Delete those channels using Manual Channel Preset.

2. Make sure HDMI Control and Auto Clock are OFF.

3. If using HDMI, try Component or other to your TV.

Try those "nondestructive" tests first before we get serious!

1. Done.

2. HDMI Control was off. Auto Clock was on manual - set it to off - not sure I know the difference.

3. I am not using HDMI - I am using the ywr cables supplied with the unit.

Your last statement is making me nervous already!!

This Manual clock setting is starting to get a little intrusive. With a lot of titles, & if you are not religious about adding info to the title block [which I am not], small errors in the clock setting can make it rather time consuming to search thru the titles to find something. Just 15-20 seconds off can make it a little unpleasant. How often do you have to reset the time on your units? I have been using the TV Guide channel [on a 2nd TV in the room] to set my time - that seems to be pretty close. But when I switch to OTA I will not have access to that source. And I do not have a laptop computer.

We will have to wait a few days to see if this helped. I have been unable to find a way to make this repeat.

Thanks again Wajo for your help. You are a very knowledgeable and generous person.

Jer
post #9671 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

This Manual clock setting is starting to get a little intrusive... How often do you have to reset the time on your units? I have been using the TV Guide channel [on a 2nd TV in the room] to set my time - that seems to bee pretty close. But when I switch to OTA I will not have access to that source.

Intrusive? Nah, it's lots of fun!

I want reliable performance so all my recorders have the AUTO CLOCK set to OFF. I use the time shown on time.gov to adjust my watch to the exact time every two or three weeks. Then, from the watch setting, I go to the clock setting menus of my recorders and manually set the clocks to the exact second.

With a dozen Magnavox, Philips and Panasonic recorders in daily use, eight of which are in two stacks of four, it is obvious whenever they start to drift. As I'm typing I see one Magnavox 2160 running a minute ahead, one Panasonic DMR-EZ17 a minute behind, one Philips 3576 and one Panasonic DMR-EZ28 still very close to the right time. Within a day or so I'll reset all dozen clocks to the exact second. Here is the time.gov link:

www.time.gov

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9672 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1. Done.

2. HDMI Control was off. Auto Clock was on manual - set it to off - not sure I know the difference.

3. I am not using HDMI - I am using the ywr cables supplied with the unit.

Your last statement is making me nervous already!!

This Manual clock setting is starting to get a little intrusive. With a lot of titles, & if you are not religious about adding info to the title block [which I am not], small errors in the clock setting can make it rather time consuming to search thru the titles to find something. Just 15-20 seconds off can make it a little unpleasant. How often do you have to reset the time on your units? I have been using the TV Guide channel [on a 2nd TV in the room] to set my time - that seems to be pretty close. But when I switch to OTA I will not have access to that source. And I do not have a laptop computer.

We will have to wait a few days to see if this helped. I have been unable to find a way to make this repeat.

Thanks again Wajo for your help. You are a very knowledgeable and generous person.

I wish Funai hadn't used the word "manual" in their Clock menus except for the 1st option, which is usually known as setting your clock "manually."

The 2nd option is Auto Clock, with sub-options OFF, AUTO and MANUAL.

The Auto Clock and DST settings remain after power outages, so once OFF always OFF (unless you do a Hard Reset).

When you switch to OTA, try MANUAL using "The 11:57 Procedure" described here. You might find and confirm a good time signal OTA?
post #9673 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:

No one has reported a HDD replacement yet on the new 513 and I doubt there will be any who want to risk their warranty until much later. I think it's doubtful they wrote new FW that allows a larger drive than 500GB... seems more cost-effective to use the same 2160A FW for a max. 500GB HDD? Disclaimer: this is pure, unadulterated speculation!

On which unit to buy, I think I'd go for a refurb'd 2160A at J&R as a starting point... you'll want more units in the future!

Well you convince me , kinda, i had to give up, the denon recievers were going out of stock, and i only wanted to make one order (coming by boat), so decided to go with J&R. I also ordered hdd based on your table... Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 $49 (I really hope i didnt mess up that since i ordered two ).

I might still order the 513 later on, kinda would like to have one for the family one for me, so i dont get mess up with my recording, but will see.... hoping the J&R is A model so the hitachi sata will work.

Thanks again Wajo, and all others that have posted and tried different things, really an amazing thread.
post #9674 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

Well you convince me , kinda, i had to give up, the denon recievers were going out of stock, and i only wanted to make one order (coming by boat), so decided to go with J&R. I also ordered hdd based on your table... Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 $49 (I really hope i didnt mess up that since i ordered two ).

I might still order the 513 later on, kinda would like to have one for the family one for me, so i dont get mess up with my recording, but will see.... hoping the J&R is A model so the hitachi sata will work.

Thanks again Wajo, and all others that have posted and tried different things, really an amazing thread.

Well, at least you took the plunge! Congrats!

Odds are very good that the J&R refurb will be an "A" with a SATA drive, and that GLA model has been used by three of our Pioneers with no reports of problems to date. 1st one was installed by Alitin on 8/9/09. (OEM model was SLA with *same* specs.)
post #9675 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Intrusive? Nah, it's lots of fun!

I want reliable performance so all my recorders have the AUTO CLOCK set to OFF. I use the time shown on time.gov to adjust my watch to the exact time every two or three weeks. Then, from the watch setting, I go to the clock setting menus of my recorders and manually set the clocks to the exact second.

With a dozen Magnavox, Philips and Panasonic recorders in daily use, eight of which are in two stacks of four, it is obvious whenever they start to drift. As I'm typing I see one Magnavox 2160 running a minute ahead, one Panasonic DMR-EZ17 a minute behind, one Philips 3576 and one Panasonic DMR-EZ28 still very close to the right time. Within a day or so I'll reset all dozen clocks to the exact second. Here is the time.gov link:

www.time.gov

FUN????????? hah hah hah hah hah. I absolutely deplore setting clocks. The only times I reset my watch is twice a year at the DST time changes. I hate it when when I have a power blip [which is quite often] - resetting all those clocks is a bummer for me. And I just added 3 more clocks [2160's] to that list.

I guess I will have to get used to setting my watch every couple weeks. Setting my watch & all my dvdr clocks every 2 weeks is not a task I am looking forward to.

And if you have clocks that are off by as much as a minute in 2 weeks, that could really affect the integrity of the start of the HDD recording.

Jer
post #9676 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Well, at least you took the plunge! Congrats!

With all the good stuff you and others have posted here its hard to resist . hope i get the same expirence you guys have had with this great hdd recorders.

Quote:

Odds are very good that the J&R refurb will be an "A" with a SATA drive, and that GLA model has been used by three of our Pioneers with no reports of problems to date. 1st one was installed by Alitin on 8/9/09. (OEM model was SLA with *same* specs.)

Im still worried some, about the hdd, i read your post, and the hdd section, search with the exact numbers you posted both the GLA and SLA and only that drive appeared on amazon, Hitachi Deskstar P7K500, but in the description is very vague... and in the item number just says P7K500 nothing about the GLA or SLA or even the serial numbers... so i gamble with it.

I later search newegg, with the same numbers and were either out of stock, but i manage to get a number out of it, 0A35415 that used to seach on amazon... and i found Hitachi Deskstar 0A35415 7K500 500 GB 3.5-Inch SATA 7200RPM 16 MB Hard Drive (no P like the model i bough ).... niether have a description in amazon to match the HDP725050GLA360/380 or HDT721050SLA360/380, so idk yet, ill guess ill have to wait and see.
post #9677 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

FUN????????? hah hah hah hah hah. I absolutely deplore setting clocks. The only times I reset my watch is twice a year at the DST time changes. I hate it when when I have a power blip [which is quite often] - resetting all those clocks is a bummer for me. And I just added 3 more clocks [2160's] to that list.

I guess I will have to get used to setting my watch every couple weeks. Setting my watch & all my dvdr clocks every 2 weeks is not a task I am looking forward to.

And if you have clocks that are off by as much as a minute in 2 weeks, that could really affect the integrity of the start of the HDD recording.

I'm wondering when you said in prev. post that your "Auto Clock was on manual" if that meant the Auto Clock > Manual setting, where there's an entry box to enter a single channel for Auto Clock to search?

This leads to more questions that might allow you to use an Auto Clock setting:

1. Did you have a channel # entered in the Manual box?

2. If so or even if not, did you use "The 11:57 Procedure" to find and CONFIRM a good time signal, as described in the help file?

If you haven't used that procedure before, that might help find the single channel you need to be able to use Auto Clock?
post #9678 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I'm wondering when you said in prev. post that your "Auto Clock was on manual" if that meant the Auto Clock > Manual setting, where there's an entry box to enter a single channel for Auto Clock to search?

This leads to more questions that might allow you to use an Auto Clock setting:

1. Did you have a channel # entered in the Manual box?

2. If so or even if not, did you use "The 11:57 Procedure" to find and CONFIRM a good time signal, as described in the help file?

If you haven't used that procedure before, that might help find the single channel you need to be able to use Auto Clock?

Hi Wajo,

>>>>>>if that meant the Auto Clock > Manual setting, where there's an entry box to enter a single channel for Auto Clock to search?<<<<<<

Yes that is where I set it to manual. BUT I took that "Manual" to mean: I would manually set the clock. I was not aware of the feature where you could manually set a channel for the time reference.

I am glad you asked that question though - it may be a clue as to why channel 1 keeps coming up. I went back to check that setting before I responded to your post. When you set it to manual and click enter, the box to enter the channel no comes up - with a 1 in it. I have a feeling I did not read [or understand] that box and hit enter again in haste. Thus setting channel 1 as my time reference.

I did not use the 11:57 procedure - I was not aware of it. But as soon as things settle down re the channel 1 problem, I will pursue it.

Thanks again. It sounds like setting the channel for my time reference will save me a lot of work manually setting clocks and keep me from getting frustrated with the process.

Edit: I checked the clock setting on 2160 #2, where I am not having the channel No 1 problem. When I click enter, the box for entering the channel comes up with a 4 in the box. I did not enter that # originally. I have no idea if channel 4 [NBC] even has a time reference. But everything is working well on this unit. The time was about 30 sec fast on this unit.

Jer
post #9679 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Second MDR513H sells on ebay for $200 shipped "Buy It Now" price (same seller). What's going on here? Where are these arguably reasonably priced units coming from?
post #9680 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Edit: I checked the clock setting on 2160 #2, where I am not having the channel No 1 problem. When I click enter, the box for entering the channel comes up with a 4 in the box. I did not enter that # originally. I have no idea if channel 4 [NBC] even has a time reference. But everything is working well on this unit. The time was about 30 sec fast on this unit.

This is good news, indeed!

I think you just might be OK if you can find a good time signal on FOX or other major network. I don't think you'll find one on the TV Guide channel...that channel's clock fools you into thinking it might be a good source, but still worth a try if nothing on FOX or CBS (try both analog and digital).

Having #2 on ch. 4 NBC with no problems indicates that will be a safe "fallback" channel to use to at least get a little longer power backup time.
post #9681 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM

I received the refurbished 2160 ordered from J&R on Memorial Day weekend. It is indeed H2160MW9A with emphasis on the 'A' and Mfg date of September 2009. It looks like new and for all intent and purposes, I'm concluding it is like new. I can't distinguish any difference in the Refurb than my new 2160A purchased late April 2010; however, the serial number begins with R and does not end in A as the new one does.

I installed it a couple days ago and I'm currently checking it out and so far without any malfunction. Usage figures are low as follows:

DVD-WR 0:18
DVD-RD 7:04
CD 0:00
HDD 40

Turner cable without box is on daisy chain from wall > 2160A > R2160A > SONY RDRVXD655 (DVD/VHS Combo) > SONY Bravia HDTV.
post #9682 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I think you just might be OK if you can find a good time signal on FOX or other major network. I don't think you'll find one on the TV Guide channel...that channel's clock fools you into thinking it might be a good source, but still worth a try if nothing on FOX or CBS (try both analog and digital).

Having #2 on ch. 4 NBC with no problems indicates that will be a safe "fallback" channel to use to at least get a little longer power backup time.

With your wide range of contacts and knowledge, do you know what sets the clock, or what messes with the time, or what the 2160 is looking for? I would really love to know. Call it idle curiosity or a thirst for knowledge or anything else. Auto clock doesn't work: WHY? Some channels change the clock to odd values: WHY?

I hate a mystery. That being said, my 2160 keeps really good time on manual.
post #9683 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Second MDR513H sells on ebay for $200 shipped "Buy It Now" price (same seller). What's going on here? Where are these arguably reasonably priced units coming from?

Hi Jim,

I have been wondering the same thing. Seems like they are at least $50 light. And from where???????

Jer
post #9684 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compubooth View Post

I received the refurbished 2160 ordered from J&R on Memorial Day weekend. It is indeed H2160MW9A with emphasis on the 'A' and Mfg date of September 2009. It looks like new and for all intent and purposes, I'm concluding it is like new. I can't distinguish any difference in the “Refurb” than my new 2160A purchased late April 2010; however, the serial number begins with “R” and does not end in “A” as the new one does.

I installed it a couple days ago and I'm currently checking it out and so far without any malfunction. Usage figures are low as follows:

DVD-WR 0:18
DVD-RD 7:04
CD 0:00
HDD 40

Turner cable without box is on daisy chain from wall > 2160A > R2160A > SONY RDRVXD655 (DVD/VHS Combo) > SONY Bravia HDTV.

With only two 2160A's in line like you have, it might be pretty easy to operate just one by setting the other on the DVD drive via the front button?

Doing that prevents remote commands, except Play, from operating the DVD-set unit (no disc in tray). Play will only turn it on, but it won't do anything REC/PLAY wise as long at it stays on DVD drive with tray empty... and don't press the HDD button on the remote, which would switch that unit to HDD like the other.
post #9685 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>indicates that will be a safe "fallback" channel to use to at least get a little longer power backup time.<<<<<<<<<<

Don't understand -- power backup time ? ?

Jer
post #9686 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

With your wide range of contacts and knowledge, do you know what sets the clock, or what messes with the time, or what the 2160 is looking for? I would really love to know. Call it idle curiosity or a thirst for knowledge or anything else. Auto clock doesn't work: WHY? Some channels change the clock to odd values: WHY?

I hate a mystery. That being said, my 2160 keeps really good time on manual.

There's some basic info in this section of the Settings help file.

In my own tests, I've found that my local cable access channel(s) will FREEZE my units, on occasion, when I set them as the search channel in the Auto Clock > Manual box. That told me also that when I used Auto Clock > ON, which searches ALL the channels, those "rogue" channels could be searched at just the right time to make my units go wonky or even freeze.

As that help file explains, these units use the PSIP data that's sent over digital channels. That data is not being maintained correctly by all stations to assure that their time data is accurate, so our units on an all-channel time search could easily run into a time signal and set the clock to it, all the while the PSIP data was WRONG, or corrupted, or whatever so the unit thinks it's on Mountain Time or in MALAYSIA or some other exotic place.
post #9687 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heaven?

It's not Walmart since that price is way too low. There's another there now with a starting bid of .01. Something's wrong. Only review is from wajo. New reviews are still being added from 2160 buyers. My bet is Funai: some employee trying to earn some extra cash. If I had the Walmart item number I could find sales numbers. Bar codes don't work for that. But if someone is stealing from a Walmart distribution center I might get an award for the tip. I work weekends. I'll see what I can find out.
post #9688 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>indicates that will be a safe "fallback" channel to use to at least get a little longer power backup time.<<<<<<<<<<

Don't understand -- ? ?

Having a unit on Auto Clock, either ON or MANUAL, provides a power backup longer than the advertised 30-sec. I've clocked 4-5 minutes during my many tests, but most reliably at least 2 min. It seems that the longer you have an Auto Clock setting the longer the backup time becomes... 12 hrs here on full power blackout after 9 months on MANUAL FOX 6. Not a universal truth, of course, but a true story!

Even IF your system can't find a good MANUAL channel for a time signal, just having any non-rogue channel in that MANUAL box provides the same added power backup as having a good channel that does provide a time signal.
post #9689 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's some basic info in this section of the Settings help file.

In my own tests, I've found that my local cable access channel(s) will FREEZE my units, on occasion, when I set them as the search channel in the Auto Clock > Manual box. That told me also that when I used Auto Clock > ON, which searches ALL the channels, those "rogue" channels could be searched at just the right time to make my units go wonky or even freeze.

As that help file explains, these units use the PSIP data that's sent over digital channels. That data is not being maintained correctly by all stations to assure that their time data is accurate, so our units on an all-channel time search could easily run into a time signal and set the clock to it, all the while the PSIP data was WRONG, or corrupted, or whatever so the unit thinks it's on Mountain Time or in MALAYSIA or some other exotic place.

Thanks. That sucks. I do get some good PSIP data from a few analog cable channels, but zero data on any digital cable channel. I may run with that. Thanks for the pointer. Once again, you know everything.

Speaking of freezing, your use of a unit 'freezing' is accurate. The marketing use of a unit that 'freezes' live TV makes my skin crawl. Or maybe goose bumps. I prefer 'pause'. No temperature change.
post #9690 of 25743 Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Having a unit on Auto Clock, either ON or MANUAL, provides a power backup longer than the advertised 30-sec. I've clocked 4-5 minutes during my many tests, but most reliably at least 2 min. It seems that the longer you have an Auto Clock setting the longer the backup time becomes... 12 hrs here on full power blackout after 9 months on MANUAL FOX 6. Not a universal truth, of course, but a true story!

Even IF your system can't find a good MANUAL channel for a time signal, just having any non-rogue channel in that MANUAL box provides the same added power backup as having a good channel that does provide a time signal.

OK - that's nice to know. Thanks.

Jer
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page