Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 328 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9811 of 25741 Old 06-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Member
 
Abula's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I had planned to add a Table in the HDD help file for the newest Hitachi 7K1000.C Series CLA Deskstars like you rec'd, but I read the NewEgg Reviews and I don't like them.

A couple of DOAs out of 6 ordered by one person, a "runs warmer than same-size Seagate" from another, and 11 1-STAR REVIEWS (30% OF ALL REVIEWS)!

One of the 1-star reviewers said this:

"Other Thoughts: I have never had Hitachi drives die on my before.
Been working with them and selling their products for almost 15 years now. Something has got to be wrong with this batch! "

If you install this 7K1000.C Series CLA drive, please let us know how (IF) it works for you?

If i used them, ill post it. I have a infrared thermometer that i might try to see if it gets hotter..... but since i manage to get one from your approve list, a new HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB... im not sure yet, i might just sell the 7K1000C.
Abula is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9812 of 25741 Old 06-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Member
 
gmacted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I had planned to add a Table in the HDD help file for the newest Hitachi 7K1000.C Series CLA Deskstars like you rec'd, but I read the NewEgg Reviews and I don't like them.

A couple of DOAs out of 6 ordered by one person, a "runs warmer than same-size Seagate" from another, and 11 1-STAR REVIEWS (30% OF ALL REVIEWS)!

One of the 1-star reviewers said this:

"Other Thoughts: I have never had Hitachi drives die on my before.
Been working with them and selling their products for almost 15 years now. Something has got to be wrong with this batch! "

If you install this 7K1000.C Series CLA drive, please let us know how (IF) it works for you?

I installed a Hitachi 7k1000.C Series drive (HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive) in my 2160A about a month ago. It has performed flawlessly so far.

The reason I chose this drive was due to the fact that it was a single platter and the power specifications closely matched the original 160GB drive.
gmacted is online now  
post #9813 of 25741 Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Abula's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Guatemala
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacted View Post

I installed a Hitachi 7k1000.C Series drive (HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive) in my 2160A about a month ago. It has performed flawlessly so far.

The reason I chose this drive was due to the fact that it was a single platter and the power specifications closely matched the original 160GB drive.

Thanks for sharing your thoughs on it , now you making me wanna keep them .

I have nothing but good experience with Hitachi on my laptop Travelstar 7K500 500GB, pretty reliable, run cooler than most drives, and preforms really well, probably the best hdd for laptops atm. So i kinda want to keep them.... decisions....

Would be interesting to see what does the 513 is using for the 320gb hdd, as the old P7k500 seems to be getting replaced with this new series. Maybe someday an owner upgrading their drive can post it.

Just a headsup... Amazon is also apparently selling MAGNAVOX H2160MW9 HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner $200 free shipping, i probably would have gone this way over the refurb as now the difference is only $40, but its already on the way, so in case anyone is interested.
Abula is offline  
post #9814 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
timtofly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

Just a headsup... Amazon is also apparently selling MAGNAVOX H2160MW9 HDD and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner $200 free shipping, i probably would have gone this way over the refurb as now the difference is only $40, but its already on the way, so in case anyone is interested.

Did any one notice the refurbished price here?
timtofly is offline  
post #9815 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know whether the 2160 can be made region free? Thanks
csun213 is offline  
post #9816 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Been looking high and low and no one has found a code for region free... very hard to find *any* DVDRs that can be made region free... many players can.

I even tried some that said they worked to no avail... in fact, one screwed up my 3575!
wajo is offline  
post #9817 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Member
 
DICKEYBIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recorded a movie on Starz Edge recently on my 2160A but when I pull it up in the Titles menu, there's a "crossed out" disc icon beside it. The movie plays fine but I assume I won't be able to burn an archive DVD 'cuz there's now a "copy once" flag in that file??

I was wondering, is there any way to fool it into playing from the hard drive and recording it onto the DVD in real time? I could put the T.B.C. into that loop to remove the flag.

It's not a big deal since the movie comes back around soon and I can hook up my T.B.C. then and it should remove the flag but I was curious.
DICKEYBIRD is offline  
post #9818 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Been looking high and low and no one has found a code for region free... very hard to find *any* DVDRs that can be made region free... many players can.

I even tried some that said they worked to no avail... in fact, one screwed up my 3575!

You mean to say that some folks are still playing DVDs on their Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders? YIKES!

Didn't Dirty Harry ask "Why would someone go and do a thing like that?"

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #9819 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

II was wondering, is there any way to fool it into playing from the hard drive and recording it onto the DVD in real time? I could put the T.B.C. into that loop to remove the flag.

It's not a big deal since the movie comes back around soon and I can hook up my T.B.C. then and it should remove the flag but I was curious.

Not sure if a TBS would help, but my 3575 doesn't like it's own raw signal from an HDD title to a DVD thru AV OUT to AV IN. I have to ass-u-me the 2160 is the same?

My Pio 640 can do the HDD-to-DVD "sneaky' method.
wajo is offline  
post #9820 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

You mean to say that some folks are still playing DVDs on their Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders? YIKES!

Didn't Dirty Harry ask "Why would someone go and do a thing like that?"

I do it all the time. Uses Standby power on the LD for playing, same power as just being plugged in (on Standby, or "bias" power).
wajo is offline  
post #9821 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
profhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Something about the QP and size @ dubbing in this awesome machine:

From a 3:08 min record, this is was what I found (All was done in HQ and in Real Time Dub)

L1 to DVD = 203,38 MB or 231.254.144 Bytes (HQ)

DVD to HDD = will need to extract the HDD to know? (HQ)

HDD to DVD = 206,75 MB or 216.793.088 Bytes and 3:09 min (HQ)

So, the dubbing added 1 second to the original file, and yes, QP was affected, mainly adding some pixeles to the images (visible using the Zoom)

Finally a test in High Speed Dub:

HDD to DVD = 206,31MB or 216.334.336 Bytes and 3:10 min

Oddy to me (maybe is a codec thing?) if you watch the files using VLC media player the time displayed is:

2:49 min
2:50 min
2:51 min

So, what was the object of this test? I only wanted to know if this DVR could make 1:1 copies of material that you have recorded in other DVDs (like a PC)

Until now, the 2160A doesn't seem to do that.

PD: Anyway, I'll try to extract the HD from the 2160 and see what is the size of the RAW files with a PC, but is that possible?
profhat is offline  
post #9822 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Something about the QP and size @ dubbing in this awesome machine:

From a 3:08 min record, this is was what I found (All was done in HQ and in Real Time Dub)

L1 to DVD = 203,38 MB or 231.254.144 Bytes (HQ)

DVD to HDD = will need to extract the HDD to know? (HQ)

HDD to DVD = 206,75 MB or 216.793.088 Bytes and 3:09 min (HQ)

So, the dubbing added 1 second to the original file, and yes, QP was affected, mainly adding some pixeles to the images (visible using the Zoom)

Finally a test in High Speed Dub:

HDD to DVD = 206,31MB or 216.334.336 Bytes and 3:10 min

Oddy to me (maybe is a codec thing?) if you watch the files using VLC media player the time displayed is:

2:49 min
2:50 min
2:51 min

So, what was the object of this test? I only wanted to know if this DVR could make 1:1 copies of material that you have recorded in other DVDs (like a PC)

Until now, the 2160A doesn't seem to do that.

PD: Anyway, I'll try to extract the HD from the 2160 and see what is the size of the RAW files with a PC, but is that possible?

As I posted in your other thread on this same thing in which you seemed to be comparing to my help file on multi-generation and mode-conversion dubbing, like you found something different (since you asked where that help file was):

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

That's it! Thx.

Now, from a 3:08 min record, this is was what I found (All was done in HQ)

L1 to DVD = 203,38 MB or 231.254.144 Bytes (HQ)

DVD to HDD = will need to extract the HDD to know? (HQ)

HDD to DVD = 206,75 MB or 216.793.088 Bytes and 3:09 min (HQ)

So, the dubbing added 1 second to the original file, and yes, QP was affected.

Later, I will try to do the HDD to DVD in the High Speed mode.

Thanks for this, it prompted me to add a note to that help file as follows:

"Note: These RTD multi-generation tests were all done with the INTERNAL DRIVES of a 3575. You WILL get different and lower-quality results if you introduce an outside source, like a DVD recorded in a diff. recorder, a separate DVD player, Composite or S-Video cables, etc."
wajo is offline  
post #9823 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Not sure if a TBS would help, but my 3575 doesn't like it's own raw signal from an HDD title to a DVD thru AV OUT to AV IN. I have to ass-u-me the 2160 is the same?

My Pio 640 can do the HDD-to-DVD "sneaky' method.

I don't see why it would make a difference which drive was used to do the recording, but I did use my DVDR3575 to record a program to its HDD from its HDD.
It has been quite some time, but this is the way I recall it going. I monitored the DVDR3575 using HDMI. I connected patch cables from the line Out to the Line in. That is all I needed since I did not have any copy guard issues with the program I was experimenting on. Actually, I have never seen a copy guard on my OTA recording with my DVDR3575, DVDR3576, or recently acquired J&R refurbished H2160A.

A major aside:

The Refurb was orderd about 9:30PM MDT on June 1 (I did let it get pretty close to the end of the $15 off deal), and was received on June 8, 2010. It came well packaged in a sturdy brown box with bubble wrap inside and and external plastic wrap. The manual was commercially printed with a Reconditioned Product sticker and "Batteries Not Included" stamp. The Remote and cables appeared to be new. The unit looked great, but it did have quite a bit of use.
Skip 079 showed:
HDD power Hours 1213
Skip 321 showed:
DVD-WR 0:00
DVD-RD 367:39
CD 0:01
I think the Refurb serial Number sticker has covered the original manufacturing info. It came with the original A firmware, which I have not bothered to update. I have only been using DVD+RWs, so I just have to initialize or erase them on L3, which is no big deal. So far I have not detected any problems with the unit.

Finally, back to the original topic:
I scheduled a recording from the Line In to the HDD for a minute or so in the future. I believe the screen went to noise when that recording started, so it would have been good to set the volume of the TV very low, in advance. I then went to the menu, and started playing a program previously recorded on the HDD. As I recall, there was trash at the start of the recording. I believe when the recording initially started, the Line out was playing the signal on Line in, which was a feedback loop, but when I went to the menu, it started recording the menu activity, and when the program started playing, it recorded the program successfully. Since it was just a test, I only scheduled a few minutes of recording, and deleted it immediately, but I am sure I could have edited any junk from the beginning and end of the new recording.
I may not have all the details exactly right(It has been a while, and the memory is not what it used to be), but I think this is very close to what happened. If some one tries this on a DVDR3575 with different results, I can repeat my test.
kenavs is offline  
post #9824 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
profhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post


Thanks for this, it prompted me to add a note to that help file as follows:

"Note: These RTD multi-generation tests were all done with the INTERNAL DRIVES of a 3575. You WILL get different and lower-quality results if you introduce an outside source, like a DVD recorded in a diff. recorder, a separate DVD player, Composite or S-Video cables, etc."

Thx to you wajo, maybe you must add: "also a DVD recorded in the same 2160". Probably this was made to avoid copy lights issues. That's what we call realistic expectations.

In other news... here are some candids from inside my 2160 and its HD.

The bad news are, I don't have a free SATA slot on my PC, so I need to buy a SATA-USB adapter, so I kindly ask: is the data on the HD windows / linux compatible (FAT-NTFS-ETC)? I'd like to know before spend some $$$
LL
LL
profhat is offline  
post #9825 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Been looking high and low and no one has found a code for region free... very hard to find *any* DVDRs that can be made region free... many players can.

I even tried some that said they worked to no avail... in fact, one screwed up my 3575!

Thanks for your response. Not a big deal for this recorder. Thanks to you, I am so happy that I purchased it. Just love it so I am not going to use it for anything except for recording.

Do you know if it is possible to make a Sony DVD/VCR SLV-D370 into region Free? I figure if anyone knows, it would probably be you. Thanks
csun213 is offline  
post #9826 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

Thanks for your response. Not a big deal for this recorder. Thanks to you, I am so happy that I purchased it. Just love it so I am not going to use it for anything except for recording.

Do you know if it is possible to make a Sony DVD/VCR SLV-D370 into region Free? I figure if anyone knows, it would probably be you. Thanks

No region hack for that player... here's where you can search for those.
wajo is offline  
post #9827 of 25741 Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

No region hack for that player... here's where you can search for those.

Thanks, yes I know about that site and it sucks that it doesn't have anything for my player.
csun213 is offline  
post #9828 of 25741 Old 06-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Member
 
cewillis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if I missed it --

Does the Phillips lose record timer settings on power failure (like the Magnavox does)?
cewillis is offline  
post #9829 of 25741 Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Yes, same system. If the clock goes, it takes timer rec programs with it.

You can increase power backup time by setting a channel in the Auto Clock > Manual entry box, as described here.
wajo is offline  
post #9830 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 05:41 AM
Member
 
grantsoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the thread and found that if 2 recordings are set to start at the same time, the first one on the list will have priority but that doesn't fit my situation.
I have a Monday to Friday 5am to 6am recording. I added a 3:30am to 5:30am movie recording and got the overlap message.
The Monday to Friday is first on the list, but the 3:30am is scheduled to start sooner.
How will this playout? Do I have to cancel the Monday to Friday to get the movie to record?
Thanks
Grant
grantsoo is offline  
post #9831 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsoo View Post

I searched the thread and found that if 2 recordings are set to start at the same time, the first one on the list will have priority but that doesn't fit my situation.
I have a Monday to Friday 5am to 6am recording. I added a 3:30am to 5:30am movie recording and got the overlap message.
The Monday to Friday is first on the list, but the 3:30am is scheduled to start sooner.
How will this playout? Do I have to cancel the Monday to Friday to get the movie to record?

This was a good question I thought I had covered in the help files, but didn't, so now, after some tests, I've added a separate subject in the Recording to HDD help file as follows:

Timer Priority and Overlapping Programs

The timer programming menu is like a mini Relational Database. It lists timer programs in the order of soonest to be recorded first, based on date and time of not only the programs, but also the date and time when you view the list. BOTH are factored into the "priority" the machine assigns to the programs.

Programs shown in Red text are currenty recording, White are OK (no problem), and Blue are overlapped (schedule conflict). If you make a time or date change to a Blue overlapped program, it can change to White and cause another program to change to Blue.

If you mix repeating programs with single-dated or day-of-week programs, the ordered listing can sometimes look "odd." It's a complex thing involving related times and dates, but you can be assured that whatever program is at the top in WHITE will START recording first and have no problem completing its scheduled timer recording.

Here are some "scenarios" I've tested that might help explain some "odd" looking arrangements you might run across:
  1. When one program overlaps any time of another program scheduled for the current day/date, the ealier-starting program will have priority, will appear FIRST in the timer list in WHITE, and will start recording first. If the first program ALSO ENDS earlier, the machine will record the earlier-starting one first, then continue recording whatever time is left on the longer, but later-ending program.

  2. A totally overlapped program won't rec at all and will show an E40 to the left of that program in the timer list to indicate you got nada! It will also disappear from the list after one time viewing the list.

  3. Recurring DAILY, MON-SAT and MON-FRI programs mixed with other programs will usually appear 1st in the list unless one of those other programs starts earlier TODAY, when you're viewing the timer list, or the start time of the recurring program has already passed.
wajo is offline  
post #9832 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Member
 
DICKEYBIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had a dubbing aberration last night with my fairly new 2160A:

I high speed dubbed a previously recorded (SP) 2 hr. program from the HDD to DVD and then finalized it; all went as normal with no power surges that I'm aware of.

I then tested it on another recently purchased cheapo Mag (Funai) player and it played perfectly. I tried to burn 3 copies of it on my PC using Nero but got a message "Disc Unreadable" or some-such. I tried it in a 3 yr old Toshiba player and it tried to play but the audio & video was choppy before it froze. The disc was one of a spindle of Taiyo Yuden 8x +R's which until now have all worked perfectly on all mine & my friend's & family's players they have been tried on.

I then re-dubbed/finalized with another one of the same spindle of discs and it played fine on all players and the PC copying worked perfectly.

Was it most likely just a bad disc? I looked at it with a magnifying glass in strong light but didn't see any flaws. Nuttin' to worry 'bout??
DICKEYBIRD is offline  
post #9833 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Sounds like a one-off aberration, but some off-hand notes just in case:

1. Some other machines can have "spotty" or constant trouble with HQ rec mode discs.

2. " " with HSD discs with Auto Chapter marks at 5-min. intervals, esp. if mixed with auto-set ones from Scene Deletes ("colliding" chapter marks).
wajo is offline  
post #9834 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

Had a dubbing aberration last night with my fairly new 2160A...

I then re-dubbed/finalized with another one of the same spindle of discs and it played fine on all players and the PC copying worked perfectly.

Was it most likely just a bad disc? I looked at it with a magnifying glass in strong light but didn't see any flaws. Nuttin' to worry 'bout??

How about a fingerprint that deposits skin oils on the writing/reading surface?

CitiBear goes into some detail in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17032997

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #9835 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Discs can be bad without actually looking bad.
Chuck44 is offline  
post #9836 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

I don't see why it would make a difference which drive was used to do the recording, but I did use my DVDR3575 to record a program to its HDD from its HDD.

This internal-drive>drive recording functionality question comes up every so often, but not often enough for anyone who tries it to remember exactly what they did and the result.

However, it's an "intriguing" function that we hoped would allow making a 2nd copy of an HDD title (HDD>HDD) or a copy of a "special" DVD using only this DVDR (DVD>HDD) with an external gizmotchy... pretty limiting stuff but still, inquiring minds want to know!?

Anyway, I did some more tests so I could document how my 3575 reacted to internal-drive>drive recordings and found HDD>HDD not possible in my system, but DVD>HDD was pretty easy!

I connected YWR AV OUT on back to YWR E2 IN on front and got only black/hash when playing a title HDD>HDD, but had complete success in recording DVD>HDD.
  1. Make connections: (a) DVDR to TV for viewing result, and (b) Composite YWR or S-Video+L/R Audio from AV OUT on back to Gizmotchy to E2/L2 IN on front for recording.
  2. Load disc.
  3. Select HDD drive.
  4. Set Video > Video Input for Video or S-Video, whichever used.
  5. Select Source E2/L2.
  6. Press REC button.
  7. Select DVD drive.
  8. Press PLAY if there's only one title on the DVD or you want to copy the 1st of several titles. If you want to copy only the 5th title (as example), several ways too complex for this "throwaway" procedure (INFO/DISPLAY menu, cue it up in Pause first, etc.).
  9. At end of DVD title, press STOP to stop playback.
  10. Switch to HDD drive.
  11. Press STOP to stop recording.
  12. Edit with Front- and End-Cuts.
This procedure gave me a HDD title with some opening black screen, hash and red dot, then short black section, then perfect pic/sound. Ending was similar with mostly black screen or all black (can't remember exactly).

This procedure WILL record INFO/DISPLAY menus (all of them) if that button is pressed during the process.

As stated above, DVD>HDD copying using only internal drives would only be useful for someone who has only this DVDR and needs to insert an external gizmotchy between the drives.
wajo is offline  
post #9837 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
bodhi78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've installed the 500GB 7K1000.C series HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 on the H2160A.

NOTE:

- I did NOT need the #2 Pozidrive screwdriver. All screws were Philips.
- The Warranty sticker is still intact.

Going through the procedure one more time, just like when I installed the P7K500 on the H2160 before:

- Power off, unplug all cables, and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.

- Remove the top cover (2 screws on the sides, 5 on the back).

- Gently lift the ribbon data cable that was taped (double side) from the top of the hard drive.

- Remove 3 screws from drive mounting bracket (that holds the bracket to the motherboard).

- Lift the drive and remove the electrical tape holding the SATA adapter to the drive mounting bracket.

- Slowly unplug the SATA adapter from the old drive, and lay it down gently onto the mother board.

- Remove the old drive from the mounting bracket (4 screws). It's a little bit tight, I laid the drive down and hold it with one hand and use the other hand with the screwdriver to unscrew them.

- Remove the ground contact from the old drive.

- Attach new drive to the drive mounting bracket (if you forgot which way is which, you can tell by looking for where the electrical tape was taped to the bracket, it should be aligned at the new drive connector where the SATA adapter is to be plugged in).

- Attach the ground contact to new drive.

- Plug in the SATA adapter (you can't plug it in the wrong way, there is only one way to plug it into the drive connector)

- Use a piece of electrical tape and tape the SATA adapter to the drive mounting bracket.

- Attach the drive mounting bracket to motherboard, like it was before with 3 screws.

- Gently press the data cable onto the new drive (same double side tape)

- Put back the cover, and install all screws.

- Plug in the RF coax IN/OUT cables, HDMI, and power cable.

Checking the installation and format the new drive:

- Powered up. The TV tuner was working, every settings was retained, except the clock and all timer programs.

- Reset the clock manually.

- Pressed SKIP 079 to check HDD status and connection. Every thing was normal. Pressed OK to start formatting the drive.

- Now this is the interesting part: the drive was used in a Linux system for about 150 hours. This drive therefore was formatted as EXT3 on that system. It did not take any time at all for SKIP 079 to format it (2 seconds), just like it was a new drive. And it powered itself off after the format operation.

- Powered it on and took a look at the HDD menu. All grayed out as expected (we know it is not usable until after the first recording). Pressed the Record button to do a short recording, stopped it and checked the HDD menu. It's now available.

- Using the Info/Display button to check, the HDD recording mode was SP 206 Hours 54 minutes. Success :-)
bodhi78 is offline  
post #9838 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

This internal-drive>drive recording functionality question comes up every so often, but not often enough for anyone who tries it to remember exactly what they did and the result.

However, it's an "intriguing" function that we hoped would allow making a 2nd copy of an HDD title (HDD>HDD) or a copy of a "special" DVD using only this DVDR (DVD>HDD) with an external gizmotchy... pretty limiting stuff but still, inquiring minds want to know!?

Anyway, I did some more tests so I could document how my 3575 reacted to internal-drive>drive recordings and found HDD>HDD not possible in my system, but DVD>HDD was pretty easy!
...

I can't figure out why you would not be able to duplicate my results, but I just did a retest.

My test recorder was a Philips DVDR3575 with the original firmware.
The connected TV was a Vizio VX32L.
The TV was fed from the DVDR3575 HDMI output.
  1. The Drive was set to the HDD.
  2. I connected YWR AV OUT on back to YWR AV IN on back and got only black/hash when tuned to E1 input.
  3. I switched the DVDR tuner to a live channel, which was displayed on the TV.
  4. At 6:52PM MDT I pressed TIMER and scheduled a recording for 6:55PM to 7:05PM of the E1 input.
  5. I exited TIMER function, and the live broadcast was again displayed on the TV.
  6. At 6:55PM the TV was displaying hash, and the recording was active.
  7. I pressed TITLE, and the normal menu of programs recorded on the HDD appeared, as well as the active RED DOT program #23.
  8. I selected an existing program #22, and selected PLAY FROM START.
  9. The TV displayed the recorded program.
  10. I waited until after 7:05PM.
  11. I pressed TITLE.
  12. I had all the previous programs, and the RED DOT program #23 had become a completed 10 minute program.
  13. I played the new program #23, and it started with hash, followed by the title selection menu process and the first 9+ minutes of the previously recorded program #22.
  14. Program #23 was completely normal and could be edited as desired.
I don't see why the process cannot be used for any program on the HDD. It is just necessary to schedule a recording a few minutes longer than the program to be copied.
YMMV
kenavs is offline  
post #9839 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Newbie
 
ujijin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for this excellent guide to the 2160. I just installed mine, I can see the "Setup" screen via HDMI on my flatscreen.

But when I tell press the "channel" buttons on the remote the unit switches inputs [i.e., L1-L2-L3] rather than changing channels. What am I doing wrong? The unit is connected via coaxial cable to my tv. I have also done a complete channel scan.

Perhaps relatedly, when I set my tv to "DTV" I don't see the setup screen or anything on channels 2, 3 or 4.

Thanks for any advice you can offer on this frustrating problem.

Cheers
ujijin is offline  
post #9840 of 25741 Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujijin View Post

Thank you for this excellent guide to the 2160. I just installed mine, I can see the "Setup" screen via HDMI on my flatscreen.

But when I tell press the "channel" buttons on the remote the unit switches inputs [i.e., L1-L2-L3] rather than changing channels. What am I doing wrong? The unit is connected via coaxial cable to my tv. I have also done a complete channel scan.

Thanks for any advice you can offer on this frustrating problem.

You didn't say what TV service type you're connected to that delivers the channels to your 2160. (It's NOT your TV.)

Check this help file and make sure you're connected to a channel source, like an antenna or cable coax as shown in the appropriate sketch, then do another channel scan as described here.

The connection from your source should be on the top coax connection (ANT IN) and the coax out to your TV on the bottom coax connector.
wajo is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off