Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9991 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

Amazon has lowered its pre-order price for the 513 to $248, apparently to match Walmart's Rollback price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the replies.
Wajo- I'm aware of the auto-clock issues and always check to make sure it's off when resetting the time.

waldwolf- I was just changing the rf cables, first hooking it up to a DTA and then switching to another to go directly to the t.v. I was working behind the unit and I don't believe it was moved. It was on, but not recording or playing back.
I did a reset a while back after I installed the firmware update, no error messages and it didn't help with the problems.
It was repaired at the Torrance facility. Guess I'll have to call them again. sigh.
post #9993 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atti View Post

For reference, my problems were the box freezing and being unresponsive 2 minutes before a scheduled recording and some repeating scheduled recordings randomly disappearing from the timer recording list. These things weren't constant but happened too often for a brand new unit.

Quote:

waldwolf- I was just changing the rf cables, first hooking it up to a DTA and then switching to another to go directly to the t.v. I was working behind the unit and I don't believe it was moved. It was on, but not recording or playing back.

Just another SWAG.

Trying to put 2+2 together, what's the DTA with RF coax doing in your 2160 setup? Are you feeding the cable coax signal thru the DTA to the 2160?

The symptom of "freezing 2 min. before a scheduled timer rec" sounds like the 2160 is trying to change channels to the timer-set channel but can't tune it. It *miight* also explain why it's deleting a timer rec program randomly... no such channel???

Have you connected the cable feed coax directly to the 2160, coax to the TV, then done an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital). You could try that for awhile, even if you can only tune the local broadcast channels, just to see if any diff.?

(The DTA could be used but only with line connection to the 2160.)
post #9994 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Just another SWAG.

Trying to put 2+2 together, what's the DTA with RF coax doing in your 2160 setup? Are you feeding the cable coax signal thru the DTA to the 2160?

The symptom of "freezing 2 min. before a scheduled timer rec" sounds like the 2160 is trying to change channels to the timer-set channel but can't tune it. It *miight* also explain why it's deleting a timer rec program randomly... no such channel???

Have you connected the cable feed coax directly to the 2160, coax to the TV, then done an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital). You could try that for awhile, even if you can only tune the local broadcast channels, just to see if any diff.?

(The DTA could be used but only with line connection to the 2160.)

The problems originated with it hooked up directly from the coax from the wall. Last month I got the cable boxes and set it up with a STB, but by then I'd picked up a series 2 Tivo with lifetime and was only using the Mag for program conflicts. While it was in the shop I switched the Tivo to the STB because my promo includes 3 months of HBO.
When I got it back I hooked it up to the DTA and had no problems. The next day I was going to switch it to the STB and unhooked it, changed my mind, went back to the DTA and it locked up. I then went the direct route (encryption is coming any day but I figured why enslave it in the meantime) and it froze again.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be able to find a channel- I only record the analog versions and channel scans were done.
I appreciate your insight into all this. I would love to avoid sending it back again if at all possible.
post #9995 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I appreciate your insight into all this. I would love to avoid sending it back again if at all possible.

Last-gasp remedies are hard resets. You might want to try #3 here first, then #4 if no joy?

However, only #4 can clean out both analog and digital channel memory, which is something I think your unit needs, so I'm really not sure which to try first.

Test with new scan directly on incoming coax. If you only have or need Analog channels, it might be worth trying just the Cable (Analog) scan cuz there ARE some circumstances where analog and digital channels can "cancel" each other out in our hybrid tuning systems?
post #9996 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Hello,

just picked up a 2160 from Jand R -- all's good.

BTW -- 5 hours on DVD and 30 on HDD used...

two questions ( newbie style )

1. The last DVDR i had (many moons ago) i was able to set the title picture that comes up with any scene in the scene i had recorded. Is this possible with this unit?

2. I feed the 2160 a signal from a SA8240HD Cable box via the S-Video cable and RCA audio cables ( but when not using the 2160 to record a show it goes HDMI via Denon 3808ci to TV ). Then i feed out of the 2160 HDMI to a Denon AV3808ci, then to the TV all via HDMI.

It seems i am not able to control the aspect ratio of the HDMI feed from the 2160 to the TV via the Denon. I dont really want to change the HDMI settings on the Denon as they work fine with all other HDMI sources automatically sending the right geometry ect to the TV. Perhaps i am missing something?

thanks to all,

Bernie
post #9997 of 25822 Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie R View Post

two questions ( newbie style )

1. The last DVDR i had (many moons ago) i was able to set the title picture that comes up with any scene in the scene i had recorded. Is this possible with this unit?

You can only change the index pic for a title on a DVD, as described here.

Quote:

2. I feed the 2160 a signal from a SA8240HD Cable box via the S-Video cable and RCA audio cables ( but when not using the 2160 to record a show it goes HDMI via Denon 3808ci to TV ). Then i feed out of the 2160 HDMI to a Denon AV3808ci, then to the TV all via HDMI.

It seems i am not able to control the aspect ratio of the HDMI feed from the 2160 to the TV via the Denon. I dont really want to change the HDMI settings on the Denon as they work fine with all other HDMI sources automatically sending the right geometry ect to the TV. Perhaps i am missing something?

The SA box most likely can't send a WS signal via Composite or S-Video, as noted here (even tho that specific box # isn't listed yet... might be added if we confirm here).

So, I ass-u-me you're getting a letterboxed pic? If so, there are a couple of things you could do:

1. Get a Component>S-Video converter as listed in the link, which preserves WS aspect from the box's Component output and maintains that aspect to the 2160 via Composite or S-Video.

2. Set the 2160 1st on the coax (per Sketch 3 here), scan for channels with Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital), and see what channels the 2160 can tune by itself. Those you can record in WS by setting the 2160's Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide.
post #9998 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Well I tried.... I think I posted somewhere in this thread about low audio levels and then posted later about what fixed it. Now I don't remember what the cure was.

I tried using the "Search this thread" button and was going to search using my username but the search box is covered up by the AVS Flash pop-up and I can't make it go away.

Anyhoo, I'm having the same trouble ie: I'm feeding from the Comcast HD box into the L1 input via S-video cable and W/R audio cable. When I monitor or record the programming with the 2160, the audio level is way lower and I can't figure out what changed. I swapped cables and switched to the L2 input with no joy. I looked through all the 2160 settings and can't find anything that helps. Any ideas?
post #9999 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

Well I tried.... I think I posted somewhere in this thread about low audio levels and then posted later about what fixed it. Now I don't remember what the cure was.

I tried using the "Search this thread" button and was going to search using my username but the search box is covered up by the AVS Flash pop-up and I can't make it go away.

Anyhoo, I'm having the same trouble ie: I'm feeding from the Comcast HD box into the L1 input via S-video cable and W/R audio cable. When I monitor or record the programming with the 2160, the audio level is way lower and I can't figure out what changed. I swapped cables and switched to the L2 input with no joy. I looked through all the 2160 settings and can't find anything that helps. Any ideas?

Have you gone in to comcast and changed out the box? My SA8240 doesnt have the audio problem you describe
post #10000 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are you still running audio with "Y-adapter" cables, as described below?

Quote:

My Comcast cable box only has 1 pair of audio out RCA jacks which are presently connected to my 2160 for recording. I occasionally record with a VCR and have to switch the cables over to it manually each time which is a hassle. Is there a splitter/switch box available to handle this? If so, where could a feller find a che...err, inexpensive one?

post #10001 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can only change the index pic for a title on a DVD, as described here.

The SA box most likely can't send a WS signal via Composite or S-Video, as noted here (even tho that specific box # isn't listed yet... might be added if we confirm here).

So, I ass-u-me you're getting a letterboxed pic? If so, there are a couple of things you could do:

1. Get a Component>S-Video converter as listed in the link, which preserves WS aspect from the box's Component output and maintains that aspect to the 2160 via Composite or S-Video.

2. Set the 2160 1st on the coax (per Sketch 3 here), scan for channels with Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital), and see what channels the 2160 can tune by itself. Those you can record in WS by setting the 2160's Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide.

Thanks wajo for the response.

So, yep, the SA8240 feeds WS in a letterboxed format. That's fine. The problem is that once I have burned this WS scene to a DVD when I play said DVD back with the 2160 the 2160 stretches out the letterboxed ws via HDMI. Also if I record a 4X3 scene then burn it to a DVD it stretches out the 4X3 to fill via HDMI.

If I play these DVDR discs created with the 2160 in an OPPO DVD player they keep the original aspect ratio perfectly (both 2160 and OPPO are HDMI to TV via Denon ) What settings am I missing on the 2160?

Thanks
Bernie
post #10002 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Are you still running audio with "Y-adapter" cables, as described below?

No, I took those off 1st....with no change in volume level.

Bernie, I haven't switched out the box yet. I can hardly wait to go through that process again. The last time I switched, the clock feature was deleted in the new box. I'm afraid if I switch again they'll give me one with no S-Video or audio outlets. It's looking like the problem may be in the box though.

The only setting I haven't looked at yet is in the audio menu for the TV's HDMI-2 input the 2160 is plugged into to see if simething got screwed up there.
post #10003 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks wajo for the response.

So, yep, the SA8240 feeds WS in a letterboxed format. That’s fine. The problem is that once I have burned this WS scene to a DVD when I play said DVD back with the 2160 the 2160 stretches out the letterboxed ws via HDMI. Also if I record a 4X3 scene then burn it to a DVD it stretches out the 4X3 to fill via HDMI.

If I play these DVDR discs created with the 2160 in an OPPO DVD player they keep the original aspect ratio perfectly (both 2160 and OPPO are HDMI to TV via Denon ) What settings am I missing on the 2160?

Recordings made by the 2160 won't have the aspect "flag" set so the 2160 or other player can use ITS aspect controls to affect or change the aspect of the displayed pic. The Oppo prob. has some sort of auto-aspect thing working for it?

Sounds like the only thing you're not doing is setting your TV to "Normal" (or similar name) so it doesn't stretch 4:3 pics or 16:9 pics that have been forced into 4:3 LB by the SA box.

I think playing with your TV's aspect or format setting will show what works best in your system?

I record everything direct from cable with my 2160 TV Aspect set for 16:9 Wide. WS programs are of course in proper aspect on my 47" LCD HDTV, but 4:3 programs show as stretched. I could change my TV's aspect to "Normal" to see those 4:3 programs in natural format, but I just accept the slight stretching... I don't record much at all anymore in 4:3 aspect since I have quite a few digital/HD channels.
post #10004 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Amazon must have just added that product. I think I checked there before I ordered from Walmart on Sunday.

My 513H-F7 arrived today. Built in April. Great service. Ordered Sunday and received Wednesday with free shipping.

I have a Philips 3576. Does the Magnavox operate about the same? I hate learning new languages. If I had two 3576s in the same location would there be a problem with remotes?

I am now being punished for complaining that some posts here are not being forwarded to my email. I have not gotten any in the last couple of days. The web is a cruel mistress.

Quote:

Amazon has lowered its pre-order price for the 513 to $248, apparently to match Walmart's Rollback price.

post #10005 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Busted!! I meant Philips 3576. I corrected my post. I had just read the new posts in the thread and had 2160 on the brain. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

A Philips 2160???

That would be rarer than the Sylvania H2160SL9! The Sylvania 2160 Owner's Manual may be downloaded at the Funai support website and Sylvania 2160 remotes may be found on the secondary market. But the Sylvania 2160 H2160SL9 HDD/DVD recorder itself didn't actually make it into the marketplace.

post #10006 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

I have a Philips 3576. Does the Magnavox operate about the same? I hate learning new languages. If I had two 3576s in the same location would there be a problem with remotes?

You've now got the "dynamic duo"... 3576 and 513 operate virtually the same (except for the 513's autostart rec buffering, better Pause Live TV, and better menu colors/contrast) and the remotes don't clash!

The 513's Auto Clock is also defaulted to OFF.
post #10007 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

513 Owners:

I need at least one 513 owner to check the FW Versions in their new machine and date of mfg, and post here so I can add it to the list of FW Versions in the help file here.

To do that, use the SKIP 123 Procedure as folows:

On the remote, press V.SKIP 123 buttons, all within 3 sec, which brings up a grey screen with a list of FW version numbers. Exit with RETURN button only. Don't press OK!

Here are the items from that screen I need (please double-check them cuz people will be using them as a ref., esp. note diff. between a 0 (zero) and an "O" if any):

Model:
DTV-S:
FE:
BE:
TT:

Date of Mfg on back tag (month/year):

post #10008 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Does anyone else suspect that the 513's have been ready to ship for a while, but were on hold until wajo fixed the firmware problem for them?

--
(this space for rent)
post #10009 of 25822 Old 07-14-2010, 11:28 PM

Re: Magnavox 2160 vs. 3576

I have both and I believe that my 2160 has superior reception. Can't imagine why, but I'm running them both in an upstairs bedroom from the same antenna (Radio Shack 15-1892). The cables aren't identical, so perhaps that's the problem. Do these units have different tuners, or are they exactly the same?
post #10010 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_j View Post

Re: Magnavox 2160 vs. 3576

I have both and I believe that my 2160 has superior reception. Can't imagine why, but I'm running them both in an upstairs bedroom from the same antenna (Radio Shack 15-1892). The cables aren't identical, so perhaps that's the problem. Do these units have different tuners, or are they exactly the same?

Easy to test... leave cables etc. in place so nothing changes there, but switch units.

Better yet, just "daisy-chain" them to the same incoming coax if possible. The coax circuits are just a signal passthru. I've got three units on the same incoming coax with coax between each one and on to my TV. DigaDo has many more daisy-chained.

If "reception" involves PQ (what pic looks like) rather than just channels tunable, what about connections to your TV... same TV? same cable types? Might have to switch units on those also???

Daisy-chaining would eliminate input as culprit, leaving only their separate connections to the TV as being "different" for comparison purposes.
post #10011 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM

2160 vs. 513-getting ready to order, which would you guys purchase? other than the increase in hard drive capacity is the 513 worth the extra $? j&r still has the refurb 2160 for $159-or walmart has it new for $199, $248 for the 513 at amazon. want to get one before football season and the new fall tv schedules. don't really think i will record much to dvd's-just ota stuff for now to watch when nothing is on. any expert opinions? do i need to order anything else when i do this? i do have a 6' hdmi cable i purchased from monoprice-love that place by the way. thanks everyone!
post #10012 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 07:17 AM

wajo, Thanks. I do not have the Magnavox installed yet. What is the "autostart record buffering"?

I convinced my sister to preorder a 513 from Amazon. In addition to replacing her VCR with the unit she wants to copy old VCR tapes to DVD. Does any know if she will see much degradation by using her old VCR connected to the Magnavox compared to buying a Magnavox model with built in VCR but no HDD? She can still cancel her preorder if that is the case. For my money I would never consider a unit without HDD but I worry I may have given my sister bad advice with respect to VCR tape dubbing. She will not be particular about picture quality within reason. If there is a thread on this subject please point me there.

Thanks, Don

Quote:

You've now got the "dynamic duo"... 3576 and 513 operate virtually the same (except for the 513's autostart rec buffering, better Pause Live TV, and better menu colors/contrast) and the remotes don't clash!

The 513's Auto Clock is also defaulted to OFF.

post #10013 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

wajo, Thanks. I do not have the Magnavox installed yet. What is the "autostart record buffering"?

Autostart Recording is a DVR-like function that auto-records in the background every channel you visit, essentially your last 6-hours of watching activity.

This allows you to Pause Live TV and go away, then come back and press PLAY to continue watching from where you left off... in fact, you can go backwards and watch that entire program or prior programs on the channels the Mag was tuned tune during that past period. You can also save the 6-hour "buffer" to the HDD if desired.

It's fully explained in this help file.

Quote:

I convinced my sister to preorder a 513 from Amazon. In addition to replacing her VCR with the unit she wants to copy old VCR tapes to DVD. Does any know if she will see much degradation by using her old VCR connected to the Magnavox compared to buying a Magnavox model with built in VCR but no HDD? She can still cancel her preorder if that is the case. For my money I would never consider a unit without HDD but I worry I may have given my sister bad advice with respect to VCR tape dubbing. She will not be particular about picture quality within reason. If there is a thread on this subject please point me there.

She most likely won't see any degradation, in fact, just the opposite. I truly think she'll be pleased. (If she needed the 513 right away, Walmart has them for the same $248, with free shupping and return-to-store.)

I've got my VCR connected thru composite YWR to my Mag 2160's L1 input on back (AV IN). I can watch or copy a tape to HDD by selecting the 2160's L1 input (via Source button on remote).

Copying (and watching) from a VCR is explained here.
post #10014 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnpei View Post

2160 vs. 513-getting ready to order, which would you guys purchase? other than the increase in hard drive capacity is the 513 worth the extra $? j&r still has the refurb 2160 for $159-or walmart has it new for $199, $248 for the 513 at amazon. want to get one before football season and the new fall tv schedules. don't really think i will record much to dvd's-just ota stuff for now to watch when nothing is on. any expert opinions? do i need to order anything else when i do this? i do have a 6' hdmi cable i purchased from monoprice-love that place by the way. thanks everyone!

For your "modest" reqmts, the $159 J&R refurb would probably be best choice.

I hope you've checked out the help file on recording Sports, with 3 recommended ways to capture Football games in highest quality (recording Football can be a PITA! )
post #10015 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:

She most likely won't see any degradation, in fact, just the opposite. I truly think she'll be pleased.

Very pleased
post #10016 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 08:20 AM

thanks, and i did check that out about the football games.
post #10017 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone for the how-to info and good news on VCR tape copying quality.
post #10018 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just finished copying some old VHS tapes (up to around 20 years old) to the hard drive and then to DVDs. Where the tape was in good shape, I was amazed at the picture quality. Most were right around the one hour mark so I was able to copy to the hard drive using HQ. One was just a little too far over the one hour mark (about 1:13 if I remember). Copied that one at SP to the hard drive and picture quality was still very good when HSD to a DVD.

It all depends on the quality of the source tape.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #10019 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post

I just finished copying some old VHS tapes (up to around 20 years old) to the hard drive and then to DVDs. Where the tape was in good shape, I was amazed at the picture quality. Most were right around the one hour mark so I was able to copy to the hard drive using HQ. One was just a little too far over the one hour mark (about 1:13 if I remember). Copied that one at SP to the hard drive and picture quality was still very good when HSD to a DVD.

It all depends on the quality of the source tape.

Good info for VHS copiers, but I'll bet many more would be interested in how you're using and the setup for the "5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576" noted in your sig.!?
post #10020 of 25822 Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM

The 2160A is on my broker warehouse to be delivered tomorrow... ready with the hdd =). I wont be able to provide much feedback about the Hitachi drives as i sold both (i still have one from the OEM original list unsure if ill open it or just sell it), but some users already had so i think its fine.

I do plan swapping the hdd on the weekend though... atm i have a Samsung 500 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive HD502HI and arriving Monday Samsung 500 GB 7200RPM Hard Drive HD502HJ, im planing on testing temps with an infrared temp probe and power consumption just with killawatt (probably wont see much difference here).

So now just waiting and reading all the guides.... thanks wajo for all the good stuff.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page