Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 338 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10111 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

I time-shifted an older HBO movie last night using my 2160 with the T.B.C. and it plays back fine. But...it has the crossed-out disc icon indicating copy-once protection. I scratched my head and looked at the setup and saw that the S-Video cable from the cable box is hooked in/out of the T.B.C. but the W/R audio cables are hooked up direct from the box to the 2160. I was shifting things around last week trying to find my low audio problem and forgot to change 'em back. I wonder if the encryption ju-ju is in the audio signal as well?

(Kinda weird quoting myself but about the only way that this follow-up post makes sense.)

The above-mentioned movie came on again yesterday and I recorded it using the T.B.C. with the audio cables connected properly this time. I'm happy to report it recorded with no copy-once protection icon showing and I was able to edit and archive it to DVD. Yay!

I suppose in the interests of moving up from Neophyte AV Scientist to Apprentice AV Scientist I should record some of it this weekend when it shows again and hook the audio up direct again to prove that the CP is in the audio signal....or to prove once & for all that the cable dudes are out to drive us crazy by randomly applying CP to whatever-the-heck they want to whenever-the-heck they want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

Is there a secret to deleting Spanish language channels? I just set up my new 513 and it will not let me select "delete" for channels 19 and 64. They are Spanish language. Same for my Philips 3576. No problem with other (English language) channels although I wish I could keep the x.1 channels and delete the x.2, x.3 channels for some stations.

I just ran into this problem myself. I don't think it has anything to do with the Spanish language because the channels that I couldn't delete were English. I tried to manually delete the channels and I could highlight "delete" but I couldn't get the check-mark to move off of "add".

I turned the unit off and unhooked the cable from the Antenna IN connection, then turned the unit back on and went into the manual channel presets. I could then delete them.
post #10113 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I just ran into this problem myself. I don't think it has anything to do with the Spanish language because the channels that I couldn't delete were English. I tried to manually delete the channels and I could highlight "delete" but I couldn't get the check-mark to move off of "add".

I turned the unit off and unhooked the cable from the Antenna IN connection, then turned the unit back on and went into the manual channel presets. I could then delete them.

Did you have Auto Clock ON or in MANUAL at the time. Trying to see if this might have to do with Auto Clock needing those channels and not allowing them to be deleted while still connected?
post #10114 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Did you have Auto Clock ON or in MANUAL at the time. Trying to see if this might have to do with Auto Clock needing those channels and not allowing them to be deleted while still connected?

On my 513 the choices in the Auto Clock menu are OFF, Auto, and Manual. I have it set to OFF now. I played around with the clock settings since then and I don't remember if it was set to Manual or OFF when I first tried to delete the channels or not. I am positive it was not set to Auto.

I had some other issues with programming the channels. There are some sub-channels on my cable service (FIOS) that go to 5 decimals. My TV tuner will show the whole sub-channel number but the 513 only goes to two? decimals. I think the long virtual channel numbers corrupts the virtual channel number assignments on the 513 when you do the autoprogram. I couldn't tune in CBS 3.1 or ABC 6.1, .2, .3 by entering the channel number directly on the remote. If I started at the next higher channel number that was programmed and surfed down through the channels with the channel - button on the remote I could get them to tune, but there were several blank-screen subchannels to skip through.

I had to unhook the cable and autoprogram it to remove all the channels, then manually add the channels I wanted without using autoprogram. That took forever but it worked.
post #10115 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On my 513 the choices in the Auto Clock menu are OFF, Auto, and Manual. I have it set to OFF now. I played around with the clock settings since then and I don't remember if it was set to Manual or OFF when I first tried to delete the channels or not. I am positive it was not set to Auto.

I had some other issues with programming the channels. There are some sub-channels on my cable service (FIOS) that go to 5 decimals. My TV tuner will show the whole sub-channel number but the 513 only goes to two? decimals. I think the long virtual channel numbers corrupts the virtual channel number assignments on the 513 when you do the autoprogram. I couldn't tune in CBS 3.1 or ABC 6.1, .2, .3 by entering the channel number directly on the remote. If I started at the next higher channel number that was programmed and surfed down through the channels with the channel - button on the remote I could get them to tune, but there were several blank-screen subchannels to skip through.

I had to unhook the cable and autoprogram it to remove all the channels, then manually add the channels I wanted without using autoprogram. That took forever but it worked.

Unhooking the cable, removing them,then manaully adding channels is an excellent idea.

How did you "autoprogram" the channel removal... do an Auto Channel Preset with coax removed?... and how did you manually enter a channel that actually showed 3.1 and 6.1, etc. that didn't show up with an Auto Channel Scan?

Answers to these might help lots of others?
post #10116 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unhooking the cable, removing them,then manaully adding channels is an excellent idea.

How did you "autoprogram" the channel removal... do an Auto Channel Preset with coax removed?

Yes.

Quote:

... and how did you manually enter a channel that actually showed 3.1 and 6.1, etc. that didn't show up with an Auto Channel Scan?

I went into the manual channel edit and keyed in the RF channel numbers on the remote one at a time. I started with channel 1 and went up from there. I didn't find a working channel until I was above 50. When it tunes to a channel that is carrying digital channels on it, the whole virtual channel number without the decimal in that set appears next to the channel above the Add and Delete choices.

If there is no digital channel present on the channel (for example 70) it displays:
DTV 70 (CH ---)
Add
Delete

If there is a channel being carried on the channel you select (for example 71) it displays:
DTV 10 (CH 71)
Add
Delete

Checking the ADD box on DTV 10 (CH 71) gives me channels 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3.

Note the DTV channel and virtual channel numbers are reversed in the display when it finds digital channels.
post #10117 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I went into the manual channel edit and keyed in the RF channel numbers on the remote one at a time. I started with channel 1 and went up from there. I didn't find a working channel until I was above 50. When it tunes to a channel that is carrying digital channels on it, the whole virtual channel number without the decimal in that set appears next to the channel above the Add and Delete choices.

If there is no digital channel present on the channel (for example 70) it displays:
DTV 70 (CH ---)
Add
Delete

If there is a channel being carried on the channel you select (for example 71) it displays:
DTV 10 (CH 71)
Add
Delete

Checking the ADD box on DTV 10 (CH 71) gives me channels 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3.

Note the DTV channel and virtual channel numbers are reversed in the display when it finds digital channels.

Alright... you did "The AON Procedure" described here.

The significant thing you added is an initial Auto Channel Preset WITH THE COAX REMOVED before entering channels manually.

I'll have to add that since it might help clear out any leftover "cobwebs" in the channel memory and worked well with at least one 513 user!?
post #10118 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright... you did "The AON Procedure" described here.

Yes, sort of. I remembered reading the AON procedure before I did the manual channel presets but I couldn't remember exactly how it went.
Quote:

The significant thing you added is an initial Auto Channel Preset WITH THE COAX REMOVED before entering channels manually.

I'll have to add that since it might help clear out any leftover "cobwebs" in the channel memory and worked well with at least one 513 user!?

I don't know if clearing out the channel memory made a difference or not. I wanted to start out with all of the channels deleted and I didn't want to delete them one at a time. During the manual channel presets I only added the channels that I wanted to keep. I did not add all of the viewable channels, and I did not add any that appeared to be blank or scrambled.

I think one of the initial problems I was having with the Auto Channel Preset revealed it's self when manually programming the channels. One of the channels I was having problems tuning in was CBS on channel 3.1. During the manual channel routine, when I keyed in channel 3 it found DTV 3 and presumably all of the non-functional sub channels that the 513 was assigning to 3.1 - 3.10. That channel appeared to be blank so I didn't check Add. I then found the real CBS on "DTV 3 (CH 72)" when I keyed in channel 72 on my remote in the manual channel preset. I believe if I checked Add on channels 3 and 72 at the same time, I would not be able to tune in CBS during normal TV watching.

The channel numbers that I gave here will only work with my cable provider in my market area and are only given as an example.

Update:
I did the auto channel preset again. It automatically added DTV 3 (CH 3) and deleted DTV3 (CH 72). After exiting the setup program I couldn't direct tune CBS by keying in 3.1. I went back into manual channel edit and deleted DTV 3 (CH 3) and added DTV3 (CH 72), and CBS works properly now. I noticed that if I key in 72 or 72.1 on the remote it takes me to CBS on 3.1
post #10119 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think one of the initial problems I was having with the Auto Channel Preset revealed it's self when manually programming the channels.

One of the channels I was having problems tuning in was CBS on channel 3.1. During the manual channel routine, when I keyed in [DTV] channel 3 it found DTV 3 and presumably all of the non-functional sub channels that the 513 was assigning to 3.1 - 3.10. That channel appeared to be blank so I didn't check Add. I then found the real CBS on "DTV 3 (CH 72)" when I keyed in channel 72 on my remote in the manual channel preset. I believe if I checked Add on channels 3 and 72 at the same time, I would not be able to tune in CBS during normal TV watching.

The channel numbers that I gave here will only work with my cable provider in my market area and are only given as an example.

To all:

Ken.F exposed a significant fact that I don't think has been addressed before ... my apologies in advance if someone, somewhere here might have already mentioned or advised on this.

While I've written about "analog interference" from duplicated analog/DTV channels, where a duplicate analog knocks out a DTV channel, Ken.F proved that duplicated DTV/DTV channels, however that happens (remapping, cableco channel games, etc.), can knock out BOTH virtual and real DTV channels... at least in Ken.F's 513 with his cable system.

I bolded and emphasized his key finding(s) in the Quote above to make others aware of a possible reason they might not be able to tune certain DTV channels with a normal Auto Channel Preset.

Thanks to Ken.F for "exposing" this.

I've incorporated and referenced Ken.F's findings in The AON Procedure help file.

post #10120 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM

I tried several times but could not get a Dubbed DVD in correct Aspect Ratio.
Can anyone help?

The title (a WNET digital program in native 16x9) was recorded through the Maggy tuner of the air form coax, it plays from HHD perfectly.

Afterward, I dubbed it onto DVD+R disc, then I played it on the same unit.
Lo and behold! It became FULL SCREEN, and the original wide screen image was PBed, i.e. squeezed from the sides and made "tall & skinny" people!!

I played the disc through other players and on my computer, still the same thing!

What did I do wrong?
I set the Maggy's video aspect ratio to 16x9 before recoding to the HHD, as one of Wajo's instructions shows; and it did play from the HHD correctly, i.e. in FULL 16x9 ratio on my wide screen TV set also to 16x9.
Then why the dubbed disc turned it into 4x3 format?
Can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks,
post #10121 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, that sounds weird and contrary to my experience with 3575 and 2160's.

I did run into something with displaying jpeg pics one time where my 3575 would display the DIFFERENT aspect from the 3575's setting. You might try changing the aspect while on live TV, make sure the pic changes aspect while viewing (WYSIWYG), and see if the DVD plays differently.
post #10122 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

....You might try changing the aspect while on live TV, make sure the pic changes aspect while viewing (WYSIWYG), and see if the DVD plays differently.

Thanks, WAJO.
I will try what you suggested later and try to fiddle it while I still pondering about this issue.
BTW, maybe this thing called "WS flag" you say the Maggy doesn't have, has something to do with it?
What is that anyway? (I am totally ignorant about it).
Maybe I don't need to know, just like the "empty title" I have decided to leave it alone, because taking it out means too much trouble and maybe wearing down the machine unnecessarily...

Anyway, thanks for now,
and more later
Pttoo2
post #10123 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pttoo2 View Post

I tried several times but could not get a Dubbed DVD in correct Aspect Ratio.
Can anyone help?

The title (a WNET digital program in native 16x9) was recorded through the Maggy tuner of the air form coax, it plays from HHD perfectly.

Afterward, I dubbed it onto DVD+R disc, then I played it on the same unit.
Lo and behold! It became FULL SCREEN, and the original wide screen image was PBed, i.e. squeezed from the sides and made "tall & skinny" people!!

I played the disc through other players and on my computer, still the same thing!

What did I do wrong?
I set the Maggy's video aspect ratio to 16x9 before recoding to the HHD, as one of Wajo's instructions shows; and it did play from the HHD correctly, i.e. in FULL 16x9 ratio on my wide screen TV set also to 16x9.
Then why the dubbed disc turned it into 4x3 format?
Can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks,

Quote:

Wow, that sounds weird and contrary to my experience with 3575 and 2160's.

I did run into something with displaying jpeg pics one time where my 3575 would display the DIFFERENT aspect from the 3575's setting. You might try changing the aspect while on live TV, make sure the pic changes aspect while viewing (WYSIWYG), and see if the DVD plays differently.

Pttoo2 was not alone I've seen my 2160 behave exactly the same way for a recorded cable HD program (not local broadcast). So now when I play that dubbed DVD I have to use the TV "Stretch" mode to make the picture normal and fullscreen. I've asked here before, but it seems no one could explain it.
post #10124 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, WAJO.
I will try what you suggested later and try to fiddle it while I still pondering about this issue.
BTW, maybe this thing called "WS flag" you say the Maggy doesn't have, has something to do with it?
What is that anyway? (I am totally ignorant about it).

While the 513 is supposed to be the same as the 2160A except for the HDD size, I'm still wondering if something like this might be different... odds are no.

The WS flag is a code (bits) set in a DVD recording that allows most players to display the pictures in several aspects, like full screen or letterboxed.

Anyway, here's a pretty good explanation of the WS flag....just need to read "The purpose of this guide" since the remainder involves how to set the flag in a computer.
post #10125 of 25864 Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:

The WS flag is a code (bits) set in a DVD recording that allows most players to display the pictures in several aspects, like full screen or letterboxed.

Anyway, here's a pretty good explanation of the WS flag....just need to read "The purpose of this guide" since the remainder involves how to set the flag in a computer.

Hi, WAJO and Bodhi:
Thanks for paying attention to this.
The pictures in "purpose of this guide" is very helpful. They show exactly what happened.

Now I am sort of lost astray in the mystery of how ASPECT RATIO is handled, and feel kind of disappointed at why Maggy 513 can't tackle this problem. [my old machine Pio 450 handles it without any problem, copies anamorphic WS titles onto blank DVDs perfectly, although I did read in this Forum someone had similar problem with his Pio 460, but that may be completely a different story in 2006]
see:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088020

I certainly would like to know an answer to this problem, and whether the "WS flag" is really part of the solution, or maybe there is something we still don't know to operate on this machine???

Anyway, in the mean time I have to be content with the Maggy 513 for all the FS/LB/or PB titles it can record and dub perfectly.

More later,
pttoo2
post #10126 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is it possible that a widescreen TV might "see" that it's getting a picture from a standard def device, and for that reason display the picture as 4x3, squeezing the widescreen picture into "squashed" mode?

I still only have 4x3 displays, so have no idea if some widescreen devices do things differently from others.

How is the video being fed into the widescreen display, pttoo2?

Also, was the recorder still set to work with a 16x9 display when you played the DVD back?
post #10127 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Is it possible that a widescreen TV might "see" that it's getting a picture from a standard def device, and for that reason display the picture as 4x3, squeezing the widescreen picture into "squashed" mode?

I still only have 4x3 displays, so have no idea if some widescreen devices do things differently from others.

Also, was the recorder still set to work with a 16x9 display when you played the DVD back?

I hate to say this, but anything is possible. I have a 4x3 HD TV and a 16x9 HD TV. Using the HDMI output, the 2160 can change even normal 16x9 HD content into letterbox or pan & scan. I have other devices with options like "don't mess with the content" option. Yes, some devices do things differently than others. There are so many rules, regulations and standards that I'm sure any manufacturer can pick & choose as they wish. It's a complicated world, and we're stuck in the middle. We are lucky to have forums like this to help each other wade through the CE swamp.
post #10128 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Good morning there! I have a pic of one of the circuits of my Funai 2160A, (It's in the mainboard) and it say Panasonic. Anybody knows what is the job of this?

Thanks.
LL
post #10129 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Good morning there! I have a pic of one of the circuits of my Funai 2160A, (It's in the mainboard) and it say Panasonic. Anybody knows what is the job of this?

Thanks.

The first photo is a closer view of the Panasonic chip on the CBA of an original 2160 version (December 2008). Panasonic chips are commonly found in a variety of Funai-built recorders. The second photo shows the CBA in a Sylvania ZV450SL8 of March 2007 manufacture.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10130 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete222 View Post

Hi--tried searching for reports of this in forum, but didn't find anything. When doing a "Program Change" on my 2160A for a (permanent) timer program to change start and/or end times, I get the "timer programs overlapped" message, even when the new time interval does NOT overlap any other program. What appears to happen is that some OTHER timer program (no apparent rhyme or reason as to which one) gets REPLACED with the updated program, while the original program (the one being changed) stays on the list with its original time settings.

Once this happens, I have to delete the original program, and then go through the list to figure out which timer program disappeared, so that I can re-enter it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Looks like I may have to start getting in the habit of deleting/re-entering programs instead of using "Program Change". Did the FW update for the E19 bug fix this issue also? (Just found out about FW update today, so have not applied it yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

I just wanted to let you know, I have experienced the EXACT same issue with my 2008 model year 2160's. I haven't been able to duplicate this "Program Change" bug consistently, but I've seen it several times (during daily use over the past 1.5 years). I normally have 3 or 4 pages of recording events at any given time.

I just ran across a post that reminded me of a recent addition I made to the Timer Rec help file. It might be a start to troubleshooting timer rec program oddities and disappearing programs. Here's the recent addition with #2 below possibly one clue, and indicating that there might be other op "quirks" like this that might explain the problem:

Timer Priority and Overlapping Programs

The timer programming menu is like a mini Relational Database. It lists timer programs in the order of soonest to be recorded first, based not only on date and time of the programs, but also on date and time when you view the list. BOTH are factored into the "priority" the machine assigns to the programs at that moment in time.

Programs shown in Red text are currenty recording, White are OK (no problem), and Blue are overlapped (schedule conflict). If you make a time or date change to a Blue overlapped program, it can change to White and cause another program to change to Blue.

If you mix repeating programs with single-dated or day-of-week programs, the ordered listing can sometimes look "odd." It's a complex thing involving related times and dates, but you can be assured that whatever program is at the top in WHITE will START recording first and have no problem completing its scheduled timer recording.

Here are some "scenarios" I've tested that might help explain some "odd" looking arrangements you might run across:
  1. When one program overlaps any time of another program scheduled for the current day/date, the ealier-starting program will have priority, will appear FIRST in the timer list in WHITE, and will start recording first. If the first program ALSO ENDS earlier, the machine will record the earlier-starting one first, then continue recording whatever time is left on the longer, but later-ending program.

2. A totally overlapped program won't rec at all and *might* show an E40 to the left of that program in the timer list to indicate you're an idiot... you'll get nada! However, it will appear only in original viewing of the list and will disappear on next viewing (may be time-limited and gone quicker, but next viewing for sure?).

3. Recurring DAILY, MON-SAT and MON-FRI programs mixed with other programs will usually appear 1st in the list unless one of those other programs starts earlier TODAY, when you're viewing the timer list, or the start time of the recurring program has already passed.

4. Other operating oddity still undiscovered?
post #10131 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Thanks for the attention, GASTROF.
My Maggy 315 is hooked to HDTV via HEMI cable.
TV is set to 9x16, in the Maggy, video is set at 9x16.
The WS title is recorded from the coax cable through the Maggy's Tuner, and previewed perfectly. After recording onto HDD it plays back perfectly, ie. in anamorphic WS, (automatically fill the WS TV).
The problem is when the title is dubbed onto the DVD, then it plays back it get "squashed" into PB, and everybody becomes tall and thin. And I check the TV setting it shows "normal" mode.
But the another title (4:3 mode) which was dubbed on the same DVD plays back perfectly as FS, 4:3, on the TV which automatically shows in "normal" mode.
I don't believe the TV decides to show the dubbed DVD in "normal" mode because it senses the device is standard def., because my Pio 450 is also hooked to the same TV and it shows anamorphic WS title on the DVD copied from Pio HDD and played in the Pio perfectly; and then...
I take this DVD put into the Maggy and played, it played perfectly.
So, my guess is:
There is definitive difference btw the two DVDs dubbed in the two DVDRs.
The DVD dubbed in Maggy is not able to be shown in true WS mode, while the one dubbed in Pio can.

WAJO mentioned this thing called "WS flag" I don't know what it means, but suspect that has something to do with it.
post #10132 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But the another title (4:3 mode) which was dubbed on the same DVD plays back perfectly as FS, 4:3, on the TV which automatically shows in "normal" mode.
I don't believe the TV decides to show the dubbed DVD in "normal" mode because it senses the device is standard def., because my Pio 450 is also hooked to the same TV and it shows anamorphic WS title on the DVD copied from Pio HDD and played in the Pio perfectly; and then...

My TV shows a 16:9 program with side bars when set to "Normal." Setting my TV to "Wide" stretches the 16:9 WS program to its true WS shape.
post #10133 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

My TV shows a 16:9 program with side bars when set to "Normal." Setting my TV to "Wide" stretches the 16:9 WS program to its true WS shape.

Same here, when what I'm playing was recorded with my 3575.
post #10134 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM

will i get 720p hd off air (atsc) when connecting mag2160 to monitor hdmi to dvi
post #10135 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please forgive me for adding a comment. When viewing the 2160 recorded output of an HD channel, it will display those side bars if the content is 4x3. If displaying the output of an SD channel movie recording, it's usually in letterbox. Most of my local originated content is 4x3 and most of my syndicated shows on my HD channels are also 4x3 within the 16x9 HD transmission. I know you are much more familiar with aspect ratios and WS bits than I am. My "TV" (not through the 2160 tuner) is set to "Wide" so that my SD channels come out as full screen. My HD channels are all 16x9 and display their content as passed to the station. No buttons need be pushed when the TV show changes from the local news at 11:35pm, but my screen displays 16x9 instead of 4x3 with side bars. A few months ago my local ABC affiliate did make their in-house 16x9, which was nice. Obviously my 2160 is set to 16x9 to match my TV. The TV HDMI input for the 2160 is set for 'full pixel' and 'auto wide'. Except for C-SPAN I never watch analog channels and I have no control over what my cable feed does to channels. When you said "true WS" I had to scratch an itch.
post #10136 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastalien View Post

will i get 720p hd off air (atsc) when connecting mag2160 to monitor hdmi to dvi

No you will not, it does SD only but will up-convert it to 480/720/1080 depending on how you set the HDMI button.
post #10137 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All data recorded on either the hard drive or DVD of the 2160 is stored and replayed as 480i. It can receive 720p and upconvert quite well.
post #10138 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM

Question for other users:

Has anybody noticed the 2160 being more sensitive to electrical fluctuations than other components.

We had a lightening storm last week. The 2160 is on a surge protector along with the TV, BD player and media player. The other components were not affected, the 2160 went completely black, no LCD action at all with power on and off, no picture, not HD spinning. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was still dead. I eventually pulled it and opened it up. No visible damage and the fuse was still intact. I plugged it back in and it seems to be working again.

I just ask this because this is the second time it has gone down after a storm when all of the other components kept plugging away.
post #10139 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You will see whatever signal your receive, 720p or 1080i, thru the coax passthru, so you can watch HDTV on your TV normally. In fact, that signal will be slightly amplified and might be slightly better than if the 2160 wasn't there.

It's ONLY the signal that goes thru the tuner or line inputs that must be downconverted to 480i, as in all other std def DVDRs, to meet DVD specs. Those tuner/input signals can be upconverted but they will have started out as 480i.
post #10140 of 25864 Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Please forgive me for adding a comment. When viewing the 2160 recorded output of an HD channel, it will display those side bars if the content is 4x3.

Holy Shirley Sherrod!

I was responding to a poster who said he saw bars on a 16:9 program with his TV set to "normal."

My TV might be better than yours, since it display those side bars on a 16:9 program when I tell it to!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page