Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 396 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11851 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

CitiBear posted on VideoHelp.com a different, and much easier, method to get rid of the Empty Title on an unfinalized DVD±R. I stole that idea and posted this step-by-step in the Dubbing help file:
  1. Load unfinalized DVD±R disc.
  2. Select DVD drive.
  3. Set unit on live TV channel.
  4. Set HQ rec mode.
  5. Press REC several times to add enough rec time (in 30-sec increments) to cover Empty Title length.
  6. Recording will switch to the HDD for any "excess" rec time once the disc is full (the "Alternate Recording" feature).
  7. Delete new titles on DVD and HDD.
  8. Finalize DVD.
  9. Reset rec mode to your normal default.
I don't know if CitiBear has tried this and his recording DID continue to the HDD due to the "Alternate Recording" feature where a recording will continue of the HDD if a DVD runs out of space. Hopefully, he can tell us here or the first person to try this can let us know???

?

I don't know if this is relevant, but I've never had empty title when recording to a DVD-R. It is nice to know what that "feature" is called: Alternate Recording? I guess this procedure is needed only if your equipment makes an empty title? I have had something like that when recording to a DVD-RW or +RW. I'll need to try this new procedure and see what happens. Or I could keep using DVD-RAM and not need the procedure.

I guess you know I visit a lot of threads on the forum. This is by far the most well managed and up to date location for information. You are truly doing an outstanding job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

CitiBear posted on VideoHelp.com a different, and much easier, method to get rid of the Empty Title on an unfinalized DVD±R. I stole that idea and posted this step-by-step in the Dubbing help file:

If you use this method can you set/edit a title prior to step 8 finalize? Or do you have to get your title right prior to wiping the empty title?

scott s.
post #11853 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

If you use this method can you set/edit a title prior to step 8 finalize? Or do you have to get your title right prior to wiping the empty title?

Yes, can edit title before Finalizing (now Step 7).
post #11854 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I don't know if this is relevant, but I've never had empty title when recording to a DVD-R. It is nice to know what that "feature" is called: Alternate Recording? I guess this procedure is needed only if your equipment makes an empty title? I have had something like that when recording to a DVD-RW or +RW. I'll need to try this new procedure and see what happens. Or I could keep using DVD-RAM and not need the procedure.

Never had an Empty Title? With a PhilMag unit, or something else?

AFAIK, all Phil Mag units with +VR recording have an empty title ("Reserved Fragment") on DVDs.
post #11855 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I don't know if this is relevant, but I've never had empty title when recording to a DVD-R...

With two 2160As, I've NEVER *NOT* had an 'Empty Title'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

I've created discs with less than 10MB free and noted that editing the title and/or the photo gradually eats away at that. I've even gotten to the point where, after editing the 6 title(s) and photo(s) (2 TCM movies with RO intro / movie / RO summary) it wouldn't let me OVERWRITE the 'Empty Title' (no space available - not even at SLP) so that I could then delete it.

Thus, I would be sure that I was finished with ALL my editing before touching the 'Empty Title'.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #11856 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never had an Empty Title? With a PhilMag unit, or something else?

AFAIK, all Phil Mag units with +VR recording have an empty title ("Reserved Fragment") on DVDs.

Got me. I forgot it was a wedding I copied from camcorder to DVD on an old analog Toshiba. Sorry.

But I still wish for the DVD-RAM ability. Can't kill a guy for trying. On most threads. Some not so much.
post #11857 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I also does not like such indication. "Empty Title" or "Empty Space".
According to our engineer, because of DVD+R/RW standard, we must make it.
If your DVD recorder has only DVD-R/RW recording, you do not see it.
post #11858 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

The recorder only has DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM ability. You are correct. But I still use the RX-50 even with only 80gb of HDD storage since it can perform HSD of 61 minute titles. Thank you for the feedback.
post #11859 of 25845 Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 84
My recorders (Panasonic and a older Toshiba made Toshiba) record to + media but do not make a "empty title". I think it's because those machines are native to - media(but will record to +) and the Funai machines are native to + media(but will record to -).
While the empty title may bug some(myself included) others(like my father) could care less and isn't bothered in the least.
My guess is that if Funai somehow rewrote the programming to get rid if the empty title, it wouldn't be compatible with unfinalized discs made on the older machines.
post #11860 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 AM

Liked: 10
JoeKustra - wouldn't it be great if the Maggies supported DVD-RAM and still had the HDD storage? Think of the flexibilty this would give the consumer.
post #11861 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Guy View Post

JoeKustra - wouldn't it be great if the Maggies supported DVD-RAM and still had the HDD storage? Think of the flexibilty this would give the consumer.

That would be nice, but I'm not betting on it. First, ever see blank DVD-RAM for sale at the store? There are places on the internet where you can buy them. I have read that DVD-RAM is not as compatible between units. I also have a Panny EZ28 that supports DVD-RAM, but it's always a risk when I make the title on one unit and try to play it on another. I do "wish" the Maggie family would support DVD-RAM, but it's not a deal maker/breaker for me. HiDef/DD5.1 - that would make me buy one today.

Both my laptop and desktop have DVD-RAM drives.
post #11862 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

My recorders (Panasonic and a older Toshiba made Toshiba) record to + media but do not make a "empty title". I think it's because those machines are native to - media(but will record to +) and the Funai machines are native to + media(but will record to -).
While the empty title may bug some(myself included) others(like my father) could care less and isn't bothered in the least.
My guess is that if Funai somehow rewrote the programming to get rid if the empty title, it wouldn't be compatible with unfinalized discs made on the older machines.

While the empty title is not pretty and can be removed, it's not my issue with removable media on the 2160A. I want to make a 61 minute recording at HQ. I don't care if it's with +rw or -rw. I don't give it as much thought now that I have 100 hours of HQ on the HDD. The quality is outstanding and the sound is pretty good also. Not like HD, but very cost effective.
post #11863 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Re. DVD-RAM availability in stores... Fry's Electronics stocks Panasonic DVD-RAM in their brick and mortar stores, as well as online. I've bought a number of 4.7GB 2~3X speed 5 packs from Fry's in the past couple of months.
post #11864 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

While the empty title is not pretty and can be removed, it's not my issue with removable media on the 2160A. I want to make a 61 minute recording at HQ. I don't care if it's with +rw or -rw. I don't give it as much thought now that I have 100 hours of HQ on the HDD. The quality is outstanding and the sound is pretty good also. Not like HD, but very cost effective.

I can understand making 61 minute long recordings, especially when many networks overlap program endings/beginnings. Since most of my recording is from TCM (where programming of a variety of lengths is often very tightly fit into programming blocks) my practice is to include buffer timing or to record more than one movie in a recording block when it's difficult to determine where the break between movies will occur. It isn't such a problem for me as I seldom use HQ.

It's very important to very precisely set the clock. Since all my Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox recorders have some clock "drift" I usually reset the clocks at two to three week intervals. This is the time source I use:

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8/java

That website hasn't (yet) been messed up.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #11865 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Yesterday I picked up a Magnavox MDR515H.

Having previously read a post from a fellow Canadian who got his unit home only to find that the DVD tray did not function I considered testing my unit in the store but decided against it.

When I got the 515 home I decided to test the tray first thing so I plugged it in, gave it a few seconds to power up and then hit the open/close button - nothing happened. After a few choice expletives I decided to finish connecting and setting the unit up and tried again. This time the tray opened.

As best I can tell, the tray will not open when the unit is first powered up and the front panel display is displaying a series of dashes. Looks as if you either have to wait longer after powering it up or start the setup procedure before the tray can be opened. Once I had some info displaying on the front panel then everything was fine.

My concern is that anyone who tries to do a cursory check of the unit in the store may just plug it in and hit the open/close button and come to the conclusion that the unit is defective when it is not. Unless you can connect the unit to a television and run through the setup procedure don't jump to any conclusions about its functionality.

Hopefully Wajo can confirm this information and pass it along to the readers before they start abandoning perfectly good units.
post #11866 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for posting that info on the tray! Very valuable.

I've added a Quote-Note on pg. 1 of this thread, with a link to your post.
post #11867 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colloquor View Post

Re. DVD-RAM availability in stores... Fry's Electronics stocks Panasonic DVD-RAM in their brick and mortar stores, as well as online. I've bought a number of 4.7GB 2~3X speed 5 packs from Fry's in the past couple of months.

Thanks. I live on the "right side" of the country now. I've been to Fry's when I lived in CA. Awesome. Even the closest BB is an hour away. Not to get off-thread, what do you use them in and how much (time) can you save at your best quality/highest bit rate?
post #11868 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

In the help files, I say that the Mag PLTV/buffer is the "greatest thing since sliced bread."

Well, my wife, who at first didn't notice the TITLES on timer recordings with our new 515, says the TITLES are the greatest thing since sliced bread! She can SEE!

She wants me to pass on to 234 what a great improvement it is and thank him for all his behind-the-scenes work (and many PMs) in getting it done!

post #11869 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'd be in that group. As long as the titles for the programs are properly identified, I just ignore the "empty" title. But then, except when I'm dubbing a particularly special DVD, I don't even bother to change each title's thumbnail from the potluck default one.
post #11870 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Is there any way to check on how Philips managed it with the 3455?

It handles both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW and it just calls it space available. When you finalize the disk it dissappears.

Thanks.
post #11871 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

Is there any way to check on how Philips managed it with the 3455?

It handles both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW and it just calls it space available. When you finalize the disk it dissappears.

Thanks.

Sorry but I do not know about other manufacturered item.
But at least, we were consulted by Philips.
post #11872 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Dear wajo,

It is my preasure to hear an user is satisfied with our product.
To hear such encouragement word, I make up my mind to try harder to grant everyone's wish.

post #11873 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dear wajo,

To hear such encouragement word, I make up my mind to try harder to grant everyone's wish.

I wish you much luck. Words from one of our best people:

You can make some of the people happy all the time.

You can make all the people happy some of the time.

You can't make all the people happy all the time.

Relax and enjoy life. You only get one. You have done a great so far. We are lucky to have you here.
post #11874 of 25845 Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I live on the "right side" of the country now. I've been to Fry's when I lived in CA. Awesome. Even the closest BB is an hour away. Not to get off-thread, what do you use them in and how much (time) can you save at your best quality/highest bit rate?
I use them in a Panasonic DMR-ES10 and DMR-EA18. I've never really tested the time vs. highest bit rate recording, as I record and erase quite often with a disc.

I live in the "central" portion of the country (IL), and thus, only visit Fry's when on a business trip. The last visit was in Dallas, TX. There's a Fry's just east of DFW on I-635. I try to stop there to stock up on DVD-RAMs when I'm in the Dallas area. Nothing here but BB!
post #11875 of 25845 Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, my wife, who at first didn't notice the TITLES on timer recordings with our new 515, says the TITLES are the greatest thing since sliced bread! She can SEE!

She wants me to pass on to 234 what a great improvement it is and thank him for all his behind-the-scenes work (and many PMs) in getting it done!

Here's another thanks to 234 for his hard work.

Imagine the happiness if we could get a firmware update for the 513 that adds that function!
post #11876 of 25845 Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Dear wajo,

Many thanks to you, 234!

Jim

P.S. Please check the AVS Funai Blu-ray forum.
post #11877 of 25845 Old 11-13-2010, 11:24 AM

I received my MDR513H/F7 earlier this week. I connected it per instructions in the manual, I thought! It doesn't work. I was ready to return it but found this website. I had hoped to use it to record programs I already have recorded on my cable DVR box; it doesn't sound as though I'll be able to do that. Even if I can't, if I'm able get it connected properly, I can use it for additional recording space. However, although I'm going to attempt to follow the instructions I've found here, they confuse me. I can set up PC's, most video, TV, and other equipment, but this bewilders me. I'm left-handed and sometimes think I view things with a bit of dyslexia. I'm just an attorney, not a tech person. I'm ready to give it another try but if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!
post #11878 of 25845 Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needy View Post

I received my MDR513H/F7 earlier this week. I connected it per instructions in the manual, I thought! It doesn't work. I was ready to return it but found this website. I had hoped to use it to record programs I already have recorded on my cable DVR box; it doesn't sound as though I'll be able to do that. Even if I can't, if I'm able get it connected properly, I can use it for additional recording space. However, although I'm going to attempt to follow the instructions I've found here, they confuse me. I can set up PC's, most video, TV, and other equipment, but this bewilders me. I'm left-handed and sometimes think I view things with a bit of dyslexia. I'm just an attorney, not a tech person. I'm ready to give it another try but if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it!

Altho other people could use different words, I think these steps, from the Connections help file, under Sketch 3, should be clear if you do one step at a time ("STB" is your cable box):

BASIC CONNECTIONS:
  1. Incoming COAX to DVDR's ANTENNA IN (top RF connector), unless you have a cable STB/box that must communicate with the cableco (DTA, PPV/VOD, TVGuide system that you can request data from, etc.). This DVDR's coax IN/OUT is NOT bidirectional so, for those special purposes and on cable TV only, use 2-way bidirectional digital (5-1000MHz) splitter on incoming cable coax, with one splitter output to STB/box and one to this DVDR. Recommend you set up FIRST as shown in sketch, then switch to 2-way splitter if you lose a service you had before.

2. COAX from DVDR ANTENNA OUT to STB/DVR Antenna In (unless you need a splitter as noted above).

3. STB/DVR/DTA connection(s) to TV: COAX if available + any other line connection, depending on availability and personal prefs.

4. Video line connection(s) from DVDR to TV (one or all): Yellow AV OUT, COMPONENT RGB OUT, S-VIDEO OUT, or HDMI OUT to TV Input. For Audio, RW (L/R) Audio cables from AV OUT, which supply audio for AV OUT, S-VIDEO OUT or COMPONENT RGB OUT connections. HDMI carries both video and audio, unless you turn the Audio off in the HDMI menu so you can use an AV receiver for audio instead.

5. Line Connection from STB/DVR/DTA to this DVDR: Yellow RCA to AV IN or S-Video to S-VIDEO IN plus RW (L/R) Audio to AV IN. (STB/DVR/DTA output might be named "Out to VCR," "Out to TV" or similar.)

6. Set Video > Video Input to match the type of Line Connection made in the step above: "Video In" if Yellow RCA or "S-Video In" if S-Video.

7. See "Advanced" Sketch 3A below when you're ready to add some typical, optional equipment.

Maybe that's OK to start, ask questions as needed?

Here's the help file on recording from a cable box (STB), with some TIPS and Procedure for Copying from a DVR below the STB subject.
post #11879 of 25845 Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I made another attempt before reading your response, which, BTW, I appreciate. The splitter I picked up, along with the DVDR, (shipped to Walmart) is not bi-directional, so I need to get a different one and I've decided to get a couple of HDMI'S hoping they will simplify things, less mess in back. I probably won't get them until Monday. I hope this works, it's getting expensive. Thanks, I'll let you know, I'm getting ready to read the cable box help file....
post #11880 of 25845 Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some of the best and least expensive HDMI is from one of AVS's sponsors, Monoprice.com... hard to find anywhere else with ferrite cores. People here really like them.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page