Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11971 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Joe made some good points on RVing with a DVDR: no recording while driving and consider a small UPS to nomalize power to the DVDR?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Joe made some good points on RVing with a DVDR: no recording while driving and consider a small UPS to nomalize power to the DVDR?

That would be a great idea too. A small (100w) UPS is really cheap and many are made for cars and RVs to charge cell phones, etc. The mass of the RV should make a rough ride insignificant. We assume he runs on battery. He might just hook up to line power when parked. But it is one consideration. All my stuff runs from a UPS. Last power failure? One second on 11/19. Just part of life here.

Makes me wonder how cars with large HDD for GPS and A/V work on bad roads.
post #11973 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

We RV about 5-6 months out of the year. We use our 3575 with a 26" Sanyo HDTV purchased from Wal-Mart. We never leave our unit powered. It definitely would kill the HD. The real trick was how to keep the unit from bouncing and moving around while traveling. The TV, we used a wall-mount unit with a swivel arm attached to the back in the 4-hole screw slots that are there for wall mounting. For the 3575 we decided on an angle bracket on each side (not screwed into the recorder - just the wood) to prevent the unit from drifting and then some spongy styrophoam pieces (2) on top squeezed between the top of the recorder and the bottom of the shelving unit. This keeps a constant pressure holding the 3575 down without blocking vents or drilling into the cover. This type of styrophoam compresses between the space above the 3575 to get installed and then returns to it's original shape. It's purchased in shipping stores. It worked perfectly for us this past Summer.
post #11974 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Had a new nasty problem with the cable company and the clear QAM locals.

8><-----

Comments? Ideas?

I've considered trying an "All or Nothing" again, but it takes so long I'm holding off.

I had a similar problem with FIOS setting up my 513. I put the 513 on L1 and did an auto channel preset with the coax off to clear out all the channels in memory, then did a manual channel preset to add ONLY the DTV major channel number (QAM channel) for the channels that i wanted.

I got the QAM DTV channel numbers from SiliconDust. Just put your zip code in, and on the next screen pick your service provider (it defaults to OTA channels). It will give you a list of the QAM channels where all the virtual channels are located. Write down the major QAM channel numbers from the list that contains the virtual channels that you want. You don't need to write down the dash or any numbers after the dash, just the major number. Once you have the list of QAM channels, it only takes a few minutes to manually add them. Once the channel memory is cleared out I can manually program the 513 in less time than it takes to do an auto channel preset.

In my area, ABC 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 are located on QAM channels 73-1146, 73-1056, and 73-1055. When I enter DTV channel 73 in the manual channel preset, it automatically programs the correct ABC 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 in the recorder's channel memory.

I also have 10 other channels on my service that are assigned to QAM channels 6-63294 through 6-63303. Those QAM channels do not have a virtual channel number assigned to them. What I think happens during auto channel preset is the tuner finds those channels first and assigns virtual channels 6.1 through 6.10 to them. Then when the auto channel preset finally gets up to QAM channel 73 it has a virtual channel conflict because 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 are already taken.
post #11975 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks Ken. Just copy and pasted your post.

Now, as for our wish list...

If the problem with two channels ending up with the same number (due to the cable company foolishly giving a cable channel the same channel number as is already had by a local OTA, a number the OTA will still hold onto even over the cable system) is due to the Funai machines having older style digital tuners, how's about putting a NEWER type tuner into the 517 (or whatever's next)? You know... the type of tuner a QAM television has.

My QAM television, if it finds a cable channel has the same channel number as an OTA, apparently bumps it up to the next vacant sub-channel with that same number. If the recorders did that during channel scan, we'd have no more channel overlaps and problems doing timer recordings.

How's about THAT for a wish list item? BETTER tuners that will avoid the numbering overlap problem?
post #11976 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks Ken. Just copy and pasted your post.

Now, as for our wish list...

If the problem with two channels ending up with the same number (due to the cable company foolishly giving a cable channel the same channel number as is already had by a local OTA, a number the OTA will still hold onto even over the cable system) is due to the Funai machines having older style digital tuners, how's about putting a NEWER type tuner into the 517 (or whatever's next)? You know... the type of tuner a QAM television has.

My QAM television, if it finds a cable channel has the same channel number as an OTA, apparently bumps it up to the next vacant sub-channel with that same number. If the recorders did that during channel scan, we'd have no more channel overlaps and problems doing timer recordings.

How's about THAT for a wish list item? BETTER tuners that will avoid the numbering overlap problem?
Wish List #7... always been there..

|
|
|
post #11977 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for Ken-

How in the world do I add input the QAM numbers when doing a manual setup of the recorder? The blue column (furthest to the left) shows, for our channels, the channel number "256".

Uhh... Aren't there only 135 digital channels? Should I actually be using the numbers from the second column, the one marked "channel"? I do know enough not to use the ones from the "Virtual" column.

EDIT:
Uhhh...Ken...
Since when has FiOS had any clear QAM channels? I thought they sent fiber optic all the way, and it gets figured out by their box and converted into a TV signal.
post #11978 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question for Ken-

How in the world do I add input the QAM numbers when doing a manual setup of the recorder? The blue column (furthest to the left) shows, for our channels, the channel number "256".
That's the QAM type. Use the numbers in the "Channel" column.
Quote:
EDIT:
Uhhh...Ken...
Since when has FiOS had any clear QAM channels? I thought they sent fiber optic all the way, and it gets figured out by their box and converted into a TV signal.
There's a verizon box in my basement that reads the fiber optic signal and outputs QAM over coax. The fiber optic doesn't go all the way to the set top boxes.
post #11979 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

So what you're saying is that even FiOS is sticking it to subscribers in that even they could feed channels UNscrambled, allowing a QAM tuner to get the cable channels without a set top box, but like "certain other parties" even FiOS cripples QAM tuners by scrambling?
post #11980 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what you're saying is that even FiOS is sticking it to subscribers in that even they could feed channels UNscrambled, allowing a QAM tuner to get the cable channels without a set top box, but like "certain other parties" even FiOS cripples QAM tuners by scrambling?

They have to control their channel packages somehow. You don't need a set top box with the bare bones channel package. If you want more than that you need a STB.
post #11981 of 25902 Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They probably saw how well it's working for Comcast and locked everything down but basic basic just like Comcast has done, hurray for them and screw us.
I finally was offered a good enough deal to go full HD with a pretty good Motorola box that I don't have to pay rent for, but that was pretty much their intent all along. Force basic customers to get a better box and upgrade their package becuase they can't do anything with their previously working QAM tuner gear for all the basic channels.
I hate the fact that I can't delete unwanted channels, I can only setup a favorites list that I have to use the fav button for or I am forced to scroll through all the active channels.
Also the record setup gives a HUGE going to record now warning that can't be defeated and it wont just turn itself on when it's time and send the channel to my 3575, it has to be on to work
No wonder some folks are willing to pay extra just to have a TIVO that is easier to program and deal with once it's working.
I refuse to pay even more for a locked down DVR that I can't pull keepers from to burn to disk or archive on a separate drive. If it wasn't for the fast internet that I like, plus the better deal I was offered to get full HD and phone I'd have jumped ship myself.
Hopefully some of this crap backfires and they are forced to open the basic stuff back up and loosen some of the dumb DRM crap they all are pulling now with encrypting almost everything and locking down features other devices support.
post #11982 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

They have to control their channel packages somehow. You don't need a set top box with the bare bones channel package. If you want more than that you need a STB.

I know all of this has been discussed previously, and beaten to death, but for the majority of us it's a return to the past, circa 1978 or so, prior to NTSC cable-ready TVs. We hated STBs then, and still do. It's really ludicrous to have a state-of-the-art TV with a QAM tuner, and have to use a STB. Especially for those of us who have been "good citizens," and legally paying for all of our programming for over 3 decades...
post #11983 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a similar problem with FIOS setting up my 513. I put the 513 on L1 and did an auto channel preset with the coax off to clear out all the channels in memory, then did a manual channel preset to add ONLY the DTV major channel number (QAM channel) for the channels that i wanted.

I got the QAM DTV channel numbers from SiliconDust. Just put your zip code in, and on the next screen pick your service provider (it defaults to OTA channels). It will give you a list of the QAM channels where all the virtual channels are located. Write down the major QAM channel numbers from the list that contains the virtual channels that you want. You don't need to write down the dash or any numbers after the dash, just the major number. Once you have the list of QAM channels, it only takes a few minutes to manually add them. Once the channel memory is cleared out I can manually program the 513 in less time than it takes to do an auto channel preset.

Ken, you have really pushed a hot button. May I comment on that link to silicondust.com? There is so much I would like to say on this subject in general, but I have to trot off to work soon. The entry of my zipcode shows first the OTA channels (if I had a 500' tower) then I can select the cable channels. Notice there is only one cable selection. That's called a monopoly. This information is about a year old. In fact, I can only agree totally on one item that is true now: "TYPE". It has two types: 8vsb and qam256. It does, however, omit another type: VSB or sometimes called NTSC and also called analog. How come the table states that my first cable channel on the cable list is VIRTUAL channel 2? It's not. Its physically vsb (or NTSC) channel 2, same as it was fourty years ago. And on ATSC vs. NTSC: both end in C, which means a bunch of people making things up. Here's one for you all, why "dual" tuner? Don't we need (cable & OTA people) a "trio" tuner? I get non-DTV on my 2160A from cable and DTV also. As for the first channel, I get a vsb version on real channel 2, a DTV version on real channel 83.6 (SD) and on real 85.1 (HD). No PSIP, no cable box, just what they send me on the cable wire.

The 2160A has a "problem" with my cable's DTV channel 26, as does my TV. They handle it differently though. The 2160A adds one to all the SD subchannels and says 26.1 is scrambled. My TV (and all my other stuff) says 26.0 is scrambled (really?) and lets 26.1 come through as A&E like shown on that web site. There is no OTA signal on physical channel 26 and I don't believe it would matter anyhow. But I can't prove it.

Finally, a display is only a display. The display on the 2160A only shows the primary channel and 2 digits to the right of the decimal point. That's fine, since it shows the one or two that are important. My TV shows four decimal points, and the first two don't mean anything to me. I have a digital only tuner box that display only the two that don't mean anything but does send the channel number as four decimal places to the TV. It works, I don't care.

Sorry to go on like this, but think a bit more research should be done on this subject by everyone. It's fun, really. Ok, maybe not. Here's a joke: Why are there no QAM256 channels being broadcast? Answer: because nobody wants to. Digital OTA TV means (this week) 8VSB. Google it. Please don't flame me. I have more questions than answers also.
post #11984 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Ken, you have really pushed a hot button. May I comment on that link to silicondust.com?
I didn't mean to push any buttons (this time), but I never claimed to be above stirring the pot.

The SiliconDust website is not in any way "official". SiliconDust makes HDHomerun. They put that page up to help their customers find their local channel lineup. Comcast is available here but it isn't listed. At one time it was on there but I don't know why or when they took it off. I don't think it indicates a Verizon monopoly, it's just incomplete. Maybe your service provider isn't the one they have listed as "Digital Cable".

Check out my zip code - 18960, and pick FIOS as the service provider. The channels are set up different than yours. Mine have the sub channels listed and yours doesn't. I don't know why that is but the virtual channels match up with the numbers my TV assigns, as well as my 513 if I leave the scrambled and blank conflicting channels out.

The SiliconDust page is accurate and up to date for my OTA and FIOS channels. I checked the thumbnail pictures they have for the weatherscan channel and they show the date and time on the screenshot as 7:29AM on Nov 20. Last week two new OTA channels showed up and one existing channel had the virtual channel number re-assigned. Those changes are there already for both FIOS and OTA.

Maybe this won't work for everyone. It works for me. IMHO, if you can't get your recorder's tuner programmed properly it could be worth trying. If it works, then great. If it doesn't, you aren't out anything but a little time.
post #11985 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Check out my zip code - 18960, and pick FIOS as the service provider. The channels are set up different than yours. Mine have the sub channels listed and yours doesn't. I don't know why that is but the virtual channels match up with the numbers my TV assigns, as well as my 513 if I leave the scrambled and blank conflicting channels out.
Many people ask what channels they might get with FIOS and I always like to tell them it differs, etc. but then like to refer them to a sub. who has listed all the channels they get with their service (whew, still typing w/one hand!).

Would you be so kind as to list the clear channels you get with your FIOS at zip 18960?

|
|
|
post #11986 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many people ask what channels they might get with FIOS and I always like to tell them it differs, etc. but then like to refer them to a sub. who has listed all the channels they get with their service (whew, still typing w/one hand!).

Would you be so kind as to list the clear channels you get with your FIOS at zip 18960?

There are a bunch of local access channels and other junk channels that I won't list here. Those are mostly local township and school info channels.
HD channels marked with *

CBS 3.1*
ABC 6.1*, 6.2*, 6.3
NBC 10.1*, 10.2, 10.3
PBS 12.1*, 12.2, 12.3
MYPHL 17.1*, 17.3 (17.2 AntennaTV and 17.4 Tango Traffic should show up 1/1/2011)
FOX 29.1*
MIND 35.1, 35.2
PBS 39.1*, 39.3, 39.4
NJN 52.1*, 52.2
WGN 55.100
CW 57.1*
ION 61.1*, 61.2, 61.3
Univision 65.1*, 65.2
TWC Weatherscan 66.158
TWC Local Forcast 123.103
post #11987 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Great! Thanks, Ken. Now I can refer to your post as one example for others who wonder about FIOS.

|
|
|
post #11988 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Wajo, I see on the Walmart site concerning this model the following text:

"Users of multiple same-brand machines will still have to use a universal remote "

Any idea how this would be done?
post #11989 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

Wajo, I see on the Walmart site concerning this model the following text:

"Users of multiple same-brand machines will still have to use a universal remote "

Any idea how this would be done?

Oh, lordy, that must be from my review! After posting it and rereading it later, I wondered WTH that meant myself! No way to correct it in the WM review system.

|
|
|
post #11990 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, Thanks, I will stick with the Cardboard approach then. I hope it will be a short term problem anyway since my older non Hard Drive model will be in a different location than my "future" Hard drive version. Presently I have a Mag NTSC and a Mag ATSC both non Hard drive sitting on top of each other and they are not happy
post #11991 of 25902 Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

This is all very interesting about FiOS giving the locals unscrambled in a form a QAM tuner can deal with. I had no idea they converted to digital cable type signals BEFORE the cable gets to their set top box.

Hmmm...

This may open the door for me. Since I decided to go to absolute basic with Com*name that must not be mentioned*, going to FiOS now looks a bit more appealing. I'd thought about it for several reasons, but didn't know about them offering the rock-bottom basic service, so it seemed like a no go. Now, tho...

Can someone tell me what FiOS charges for this basic level of service (local OTAs only)?
post #11992 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-h View Post

RE: problems with recording off OTA virtual channels in NYC area 5.1(44) or 5.2 (38) and 9.1(38) or 9.2(44)

Thanks to all seniors for pointing me towards terms like "virtualization symptoms" and "tuning interference" originally in cable TV situations, for an OTA DTV solution.

In my case manually deleting 5 and 9, then adding back the physical 44 and 38 (which the system identified as only the x.1 subchannel), left the Magnavox with _only_ the (better PQ) channels 5.1 and 9.1 (for recording and for +/- channel navigation).
post #11993 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is all very interesting about FiOS giving the locals unscrambled in a form a QAM tuner can deal with. I had no idea they converted to digital cable type signals BEFORE the cable gets to their set top box.

I don't know if FIOS works the same in all areas, but that's how it works at my house.

Quote:

Can someone tell me what FiOS charges for this basic level of service (local OTAs only)?

$12.99
post #11994 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't mean to push any buttons (this time), but I never claimed to be above stirring the pot.

The SiliconDust website is not in any way "official". SiliconDust makes HDHomerun. They put that page up to help their customers find their local channel lineup. Comcast is available here but it isn't listed. At one time it was on there but I don't know why or when they took it off. I don't think it indicates a Verizon monopoly, it's just incomplete. Maybe your service provider isn't the one they have listed as "Digital Cable".

The SiliconDust page is accurate and up to date for my OTA and FIOS channels. I checked the thumbnail pictures they have for the weatherscan channel and they show the date and time on the screenshot as 7:29AM on Nov 20. Last week two new OTA channels showed up and one existing channel had the virtual channel number re-assigned. Those changes are there already for both FIOS and OTA.

Maybe this won't work for everyone. It works for me. IMHO, if you can't get your recorder's tuner programmed properly it could be worth trying. If it works, then great. If it doesn't, you aren't out anything but a little time.

Interesting. Let's look at something we have in common: KYW or CBS-3 as their bug shows. We both get that channel. It's a special channel for me on more than one level.

It's transmitter in Roxborough sends out data on channel 26 (digital) and that includes (from silicondust) three subchannels. My cable feed ships it to me as channel 10 (for the last 45 years). It probably receives it over a phone line. A wideband phone line. Or maybe a satellite. I don't know. It also sends it down my RF cable line as 82.6701 (SD QAM256). Your cable (optical) sends it down to you (optically) as something that your box changes to 3.1, 52.1 and 52.2 through the magic of the PSIP tables or other magic. Google KYW for the whole story. WNJN is there too, but you might not see it. My 2160A also sees KYW as 82.1, no magic needed. I don't have a box for my TV or cable card for my DVR. Channel 82 is 573Mhz and that's on my wire. Here's where we differ. I can plug the cable into my TV. You can't plug your optical into your TV. I wish you could. I wish I could get fiber. I have Verizon DSL and every month I send them a request for fiber. I really do.

So what's a virtual channel? You said there are no subchannels on my silicondust zipcode. Since my 2160A gets KYW on 82.1, doesn't that count? It's not a virtual channel, it's a physical real channel. Virtual channels can be channels that come out of the box. Some cable companys drop the decimal points and use whole numbers only. So, if I had a box (or you had Comcast), KYW would be channel 233 SD or 803 HD for you. They would be similar numbers for me. I don''t have Comcast. On my TV & DVR which have TVGOS, KYW is on 10 (NTSC/analog) and 106 (QAM256/SD). I receive virtual channels from my cable feed, but without a box, card, or PSIP, I can't "make them" in my house and I can't watch the KYW channel 106 since TVGOS thinks I have a box. Does your box virtualize the channels or does it just show what is sent to it by the headend? Who knows? I know that if I get a box channel 84.1401 becomes channel 503.

I'll speculate that your channel 63-1003 is a 480i KYW and 72-1143 is 1080i KYW. We live in different viewing markets (DMA), so our basic or local channels are not the same. Use zipcode 18101 (Allentown) with silicondust and pick a provider. Allentown is also serviced by my cable company, but from a different feed - different channel lineups.

Finally, the other guy. DirectTV/Dish. I have that at work. Their 'local' channels are the same number as the local OTA numbers. But a satellite box is just a cable box with a really long feed. If you didn't notice, my zipcode is 17851. You can plug that into www.noaa.com and see where I'm located. We're not that far apart. Fun, right?
post #11995 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Let's look at something we have in common: KYW or CBS-3 as their bug shows. We both get that channel. It's a special channel for me on more than one level.

It's transmitter in Roxborough sends out data on channel 26 (digital) and that includes (from silicondust) three subchannels.

I only get one CBS station. It's 3.1 (HD) over C-QAM on FIOS, 503 (HD) and 3 (SD) on the STB. I also get it as 3.1 (HD) OTA on RF26 from Roxborough. All of these CBS channels that I get have the same programming. If you count CW as CBS I get that on FIOS C-QAM as 57.1 and 516/16 on the STB, and 57.1 OTA on RF32. I couldn't get CW OTA until last week when my neighbor cut down the tree that was blocking reception.

Quote:

My cable feed ships it to me as channel 10 (for the last 45 years). It probably receives it over a phone line. A wideband phone line. Or maybe a satellite. I don't know. It also sends it down my RF cable line as 82.6701 (SD QAM256). Your cable (optical) sends it down to you (optically) as something that your box changes to 3.1, 52.1 and 52.2 through the magic of the PSIP tables or other magic. Google KYW for the whole story. WNJN is there too, but you might not see it.

I get WNJN as well.

Quote:

My 2160A also sees KYW as 82.1, no magic needed. I don't have a box for my TV or cable card for my DVR. Channel 82 is 573Mhz and that's on my wire. Here's where we differ. I can plug the cable into my TV. You can't plug your optical into your TV. I wish you could. I wish I could get fiber. I have Verizon DSL and every month I send them a request for fiber. I really do.

The fiber optic is terminated at a box in my basement about 2 feet after it enters the house. From there it is connected to the coax system I installed for my previous service (Comcast). There is no fiber optic going to the STBs. My 513 is connected directly to the FIOS coax bypassing the STB.

Quote:

So what's a virtual channel? You said there are no subchannels on my silicondust zipcode. Since my 2160A gets KYW on 82.1, doesn't that count? It's not a virtual channel, it's a physical real channel. Virtual channels can be channels that come out of the box. Some cable companys drop the decimal points and use whole numbers only. So, if I had a box (or you had Comcast), KYW would be channel 233 SD or 803 HD for you. They would be similar numbers for me. I don''t have Comcast. On my TV & DVR which have TVGOS, KYW is on 10 (NTSC/analog) and 106 (QAM256/SD). I receive virtual channels from my cable feed, but without a box, card, or PSIP, I can't "make them" in my house. Does your box virtualize the channels or does it just show what is sent to it by the headend? Who knows? I know that if I get a box channel 84.1401 becomes channel 503.

I believe FIOS is sending PSIP on the clear QAM channels, but not on the scrambled channels. That's where my virtual channel conflicts come from.

What I see on the SiliconDust site for your zip is that KYW is sent on 82-6701 and the virtual channel is assigned as "10". What I meant about the subchannels is that I expected to see it as "10.1", not simply "10".

Quote:

I'll speculate that your channel 63-1003 is a 480i KYW and 72-1143 is 1080i KYW. We live in different viewing markets (DMA), so our basic or local channels are not the same. Use zipcode 18101 (Allentown) with silicondust and pick a provider. Allentown is also serviced by my cable company, but from a different feed - different channel lineups.

Yes, exactly! When I program my 513 (connected to FIOS service on the coax without STB), I do a manual channel preset and enter DTV channel 72. The 513 then programs my CBS station on DTV 72 as virtual channel 3.1. Doing that also adds two WNJT stations because they are also located on DTV channel "72" at 72-1084 and 72-1867.
post #11996 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I only get one CBS station. It's 3.1 (HD) over C-QAM on FIOS, 503 (HD) and 3 (SD) on the STB. I also get it as 3.1 (HD) OTA on RF26 from Roxborough. All of these CBS channels that I get have the same programming. If you count CW as CBS I get that on FIOS C-QAM as 57.1 and 516/16 on the STB, and 57.1 OTA on RF32. I couldn't get CW OTA until last week when my neighbor cut down the tree that was blocking reception.

I get WNJN as well.

The fiber optic is terminated at a box in my basement about 2 feet after it enters the house. From there it is connected to the coax system I installed for my previous service (Comcast). There is no fiber optic going to the STBs. My 513 is connected directly to the FIOS coax bypassing the STB.

I believe FIOS is sending PSIP on the clear QAM channels, but not on the scrambled channels. That's where my virtual channel conflicts come from.

What I see on the SiliconDust site for your zip is that KYW is sent on 82-6701 and the virtual channel is assigned as "10". What I meant about the subchannels is that I expected to see it as "10.1", not simply "10".

Yes, exactly! When I program my 513 (connected to FIOS service on the coax without STB), I do a manual channel preset and enter DTV channel 72. The 513 then programs my CBS station on DTV 72 as virtual channel 3.1. Doing that also adds two WNJT stations because they are also located on DTV channel "72" at 72-1084 and 72-1867.

See, I knew we were close. I didn't know as much about the physical properties of FIOS, but you have helped a lot. The issue I have with silicon dust is that they published a slightly misleading chart. KYW on channel 10 has been there for years and is not digital. It has also newly arrived on DTV. The chart implies they are equal or at least closely related. The cable company (www.secv.com) has been around for a while. I have no realistic hopes for ever getting OTA here. And my cable company does not pass PSIP data to me. So all I have is lemons. Next year (weeks away) I'm going with all cable. No more Verizon. It has worked great, but added up, I would rather have 15mbs internet/VoIP/HD etc. for about the same price. Cable has always worked well here too. It better, I see a lot of people going dish, so prices are close. I mean, they now even show the clear QAM channel numbers on their BBS channel. It blew me away. Sort of an anti-Comcast.
post #11997 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See, I knew we were close. I didn't know as much about the physical properties of FIOS, but you have helped a lot.

I'm glad I could help with the FIOS info.
Quote:

The issue I have with silicon dust is that they published a slightly misleading chart. KYW on channel 10 has been there for years and is not digital. It has also newly arrived on DTV. The chart implies they are equal or at least closely related.

The SiliconDust website is a very useful tool for me. For FIOS and OTA programming in my area it works great. I didn't realize it wasn't as accurate in other markets.
Quote:

The cable company (www.secv.com) has been around for a while. I have no realistic hopes for ever getting OTA here. And my cable company does not pass PSIP data to me. So all I have is lemons. Next year (weeks away) I'm going with all cable. No more Verizon. It has worked great, but added up, I would rather have 15mbs internet/VoIP/HD etc. for about the same price. Cable has always worked well here too. It better, I see a lot of people going dish, so prices are close. I mean, they now even show the clear QAM channel numbers on their BBS channel. It blew me away. Sort of an anti-Comcast.

Straying a bit off topic, but...
I still use OTA to keep my old analog VCR/DVDR going. FIOS is all digital so my analog tuner Pioneer DVR-RT500 is useless without getting creative. I stuck a home-made yagi antenna in my attic and put two CECBs on the external line inputs on the Pioneer. One CECB is tuned to ABC and the other is on NBC. I timer record those two channels without having to change channels on the CECBs. I have coax from the FIOS STB feeding the Pioneer tuner on channel 3. I use that to manually record fast action sports programs on VHS from the FIOS STB. I prefer the way you can follow fluid motion during fast forward and fast rewind searches on tape. Picture quality is not great but still watchable. It's sort of a clunky process but it works. I already had all the pieces laying around so I decided to make them useful.
post #11998 of 25902 Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad I could help with the FIOS info.

The SiliconDust website is a very useful tool for me. For FIOS and OTA programming in my area it works great. I didn't realize it wasn't as accurate in other markets.

Straying a bit off topic, but...
I still use OTA to keep my old analog VCR/DVDR going. FIOS is all digital so my analog tuner Pioneer DVR-RT500 is useless without getting creative. I stuck a home-made yagi antenna in my attic and put two CECBs on the external line inputs on the Pioneer. One CECB is tuned to ABC and the other is on NBC. I timer record those two channels without having to change channels on the CECBs. I have coax from the FIOS STB feeding the Pioneer tuner on channel 3. I use that to manually record fast action sports programs on VHS from the FIOS STB. I prefer the way you can follow fluid motion during fast forward and fast rewind searches on tape. Picture quality is not great but still watchable. It's sort of a clunky process but it works. I already had all the pieces laying around so I decided to make them useful.

Ouch. You had to bring it up. BTW, off topic is if we were talking about the food channel. WHERE IS MY CHANNEL 15????? SiliconDust is missing my most important channel. Are they playing the FiOS card? S-VHS is 400 lines, not so much less than 480 lines anyhow.

Just joking. I get my TVGOS from an inserter to channel 15, analog, C-SPAN. It is, as you know Cable-Satellite Programming And News. the only other channel in my DMA with that signal is KYW digital. (More KYW!) But my KYW feed has that info missing. It's not missing on the adjacent KYW feed from (really) over the hill.

It's a strange world. And also, I know where I was in 1965 when WRCV became KYW. I also have seen an old old tube radio where KYW (AM) was one of the buttons. Group W bought KYW and killed it. Circle-W, as we called it when I was in the USAF, was not so good. Great washing machines, bad missile radar systems. Funny world. I still use my Mitsu VCR to make tapes for my DVR from C-SPAN in case the signal dies. KYW and WGN are two stations that the FCC permits to use legacy call letters. Ok, too far off topic. I quit.
post #11999 of 25902 Old 11-24-2010, 10:15 AM

Quick question on the H2160MW9A firmware updates... How many have been issued by Funai? Has the one issued in late spring or early summer to address finalization been superseded by a new update?

Just checking, as with other folks on this board, I have more than one in service here, and just need to confirm.

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, I should have looked at the FAQ first.
post #12000 of 25902 Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 AM

Liked: 13
How do I find the serial number of the MDR513H? The back has a sticker that says "Manufactured : D July 2010". Under the date it says "E2S01UD".
Next to that is a UL Listing mark, which says "Listed 11LE", then "E234498".

The V.SKIP 123 page says

Model Name E2S00UD <--- not E2S01UD like the back panel
DTV-S Version 0X2A
FE Version R60_001_000
BE Version HD6A26972AH1E
TT Version T5011RDU@5
DV Unique ID 00E0A900 00165F69

Is the serial number E234498, or is it the DV Unique ID?
Am I missing a serial number sticker somewhere?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page