Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 415 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12421 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

That is too iffy. I think there is a wish on the wish list that would incoporate networking abilities into a future unit.

It's hard to buy something without internet connections. Or, maybe I should say it's easy to buy something without internet abilities. This fence is getting too narrow. I'll jump off now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12422 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I have 12 pages of titles on my 2160 and need to start watching them.

At the moment my original 2160 (of August 2008 manufacture) has 32 pages populated with 191 titles. My new 515 arrives tomorrow. I might swap the 515 into the place of my original 2160.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #12423 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

...Our Mag DVDR does record in anamorphic format...

Bodhi?

Can you (or anyone else) confirm this is the case?

I'd understood from WAY back (even to the Philips 357x's) that our machines depend on the setting that tells them what type of display device the recording will be played on when making a recording.

If you tell it you're aiming at a 4x3 TV, a widescreen recording will have the black bars put in as part of the recording and there's no way to get rid of them. To later play the recording back on a widescreen set, you'd have to set the TV itself to "zoom", with the picture being blown up so the black bars are pushed off the screen (and the picture being made a little low rez as a result).

If you tell the machine to record with a widescreen display in mind, it'll record a widescreen channel without black bars, and if you try to play that into a 4x3 set, no black bars will appear. The whole widescreen picture will be squeezed into the 4x3 display, everyone looking tall and thin.

In short, it will NOT record a widescreen broadcast as anamorphic. It doesn't have the capacity.

Anamorphic would mean a widescreen recording somehow adds black bars when appearing on a 4x3 display, leaving the aspect ratio correct, the widescreen picture being letterboxed. On a widescreen display, tho', the video will simply fill the screen, no black bars, the picture still in correct aspect ratio.

I don't believe our Philips/Maggie machines are able to do anamorphic recordings, and if someone here knows better, please tell me how to do it. I'd love my recordings to be made in a way where they'll still look all right down the road when/if I eventually get a widescreen display.
post #12424 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

Thank you for info.
I recognized it.
I report it to administrator but I can expect them to fix it next year...
Please download from Funai Service site.

http://funaiservice.com/assets/manuals/MDR515H_F7.pdf

Thank you, Mr. 234! THIS LINK WORKS AND IT IS PRINTABLE. The one on magnavox site had disabled printing, and there was no PDF for this model on the standard funai site (file missing when you clicked the link).

This is the right place to get the manual, folks! http://funaiservice.com/assets/manuals/MDR515H_F7.pdf
post #12425 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

At the moment my original 2160 (of August 2008 manufacture) has 32 pages populated with 191 titles. My new 515 arrives tomorrow. I might swap the 515 into the place of my original 2160.

sounds like a plan - swap the machine into the place of the original, and connect the 2160 to the 515's input so you can watch, copy, or delete. That's what I did with my latest one, but now it's filled up too. Really have to start watching some of this stuff!
post #12426 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If any of those matter, you should consider either saving to DVD, or backing up the HD. Software exists that can make a compressed image of the whole device that can be restored bit for bit, and is not influenced by file structures. This would allow you to pull the HD from the Funai, connect it to a PC, and save/backup to an image that can be restored to a brand new HD _WHEN_ the recorder's HD dies, which usually is only a matter of time, not whether.

Using Linux, I made two backups before sending my 2160 in for service, one an image to a file on a 500G HD, the other a clone to a brand new 160G HD. Good thing I did, because it came back repaired with an empty HD. I swapped in the clone, and all my titles are back.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #12427 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl View Post

If they do drop the price again, make sure you try to get a price adjustment within 7 days of your order date. I asked for an adjustment from the $279 to $249 and got this response:
"Your request for a Rollback price adjustment has been evaluated. An adjustment can be made within 7 days of the order date. Unfortunately, the 7 day adjustment period has passed and we will not be able to process your request."

No problem...order another at $249 and return yours to your friendly neighborhood WalMart, assuming you are still within 30 days?

To the world, you are just a person. To a rescue dog, you are the world!
http://austindogalliance.org/ - local in Austin
http://adopt-a-small-dog.adoptapet.com/ - national
post #12428 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Bodhi?

Can you (or anyone else) confirm this is the case?

I'd understood from WAY back (even to the Philips 357x's) that our machines depend on the setting that tells them what type of display device the recording will be played on when making a recording.

If you tell it you're aiming at a 4x3 TV, a widescreen recording will have the black bars put in as part of the recording and there's no way to get rid of them. To later play the recording back on a widescreen set, you'd have to set the TV itself to "zoom", with the picture being blown up so the black bars are pushed off the screen (and the picture being made a little low rez as a result).

If you tell the machine to record with a widescreen display in mind, it'll record a widescreen channel without black bars, and if you try to play that into a 4x3 set, no black bars will appear. The whole widescreen picture will be squeezed into the 4x3 display, everyone looking tall and thin.

In short, it will NOT record a widescreen broadcast as anamorphic. It doesn't have the capacity.

Anamorphic would mean a widescreen recording somehow adds black bars when appearing on a 4x3 display, leaving the aspect ratio correct, the widescreen picture being letterboxed. On a widescreen display, tho', the video will simply fill the screen, no black bars, the picture still in correct aspect ratio.

I don't believe our Philips/Maggie machines are able to do anamorphic recordings, and if someone here knows better, please tell me how to do it. I'd love my recordings to be made in a way where they'll still look all right down the road when/if I eventually get a widescreen display.

Yes I can! I have recorded numerous broadcast HD programs in 16:9, with Mag set to 16:9 always. And when I played those back with the HDTV display mode Normal, and the pictures were tall and thin in 4:3. This told me the recording was anamorphic but the WS indicator was wrong. So I transfers the DVD files as they are (copying Video_TS files) to a PC. And then used IfoEdit to look at the video format. The aspect ratio flag as recorded by the Mag was 4:3 and the resolution as 720x480, so I changed the aspect ratio to 16:9. And then burn it back to DVD-Rs. Playing those DVD-Rs on the Mag or any DVD player, the HDTV automatically stretched them back to the correct aspect ratio (16:9).
post #12429 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Bodhi...

If the recording HAD been anamorphic from the start, it wouldn't have come out tall and thin on a 4x3 display. Black bars would have been added so you'd have seen the widescreen picture letterboxed on a 4x3 screen, but in full widescreen with no black bars on a widescreen set.

This proves our recorders do NOT record in anamorphic.

That's what anamorphic means... "smart widescreen". It'll come out looking right on either type of display. It'll even add the black bars for a 4x3 set, tho' there are none on the recording.

Since you got the "tall and thin" effect on a 4x3 screen, that proves the recording was NOT anamorphic.

EDIT:
I do wonder tho', about the re-do DVDs you created from those recordings using your computer's software and burner. How do THOSE come out on a 4x3 set? If the black bars are then added, then your computer made the widescreen recordings anamorphic. I recently found a freebie DVD burning program on CNET that actually made widescreen vids anamorphic. They come out letterboxed with black bars on a 4x3 set, but fullscreen with no black bars on a 16x9 set. Only problem is the stupid program doesn't create menus. Just burns the vids to DVD.
post #12430 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

My big "why" is why, when you put DVR into the walmart.com search machine, does it start with the 513H? Doesn't seem like a good way to sell the 515H product. Amazon is still trying to sell their 513H units. You can get a CM7000PAL from walmart.com for $348 which is a normal price almost everywhere. My area is not antenna friendly.

Another question...when you search DVR (at least tonight), the 515 doesn't come up at all! But when you search for "Magnavox" it's number one and the 513 is number two. Search for 515 and it's nowhere to be found.

I'd bet Wally's trying to dump the 513s.

post #12431 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bodhi...

If the recording HAD been anamorphic from the start, it wouldn't have come out tall and thin on a 4x3 display. Black bars would have been added so you'd have seen the widescreen picture letterboxed on a 4x3 screen, but in full widescreen with no black bars on a widescreen set.

Well...all I know is that my 515 properly records a 16X9 signal and plays it back on my 16X9 set, in SD progressive, of course. That's what I was looking for.

post #12432 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

Did you find any wrong information on our instruction book?
If so, please let me know immediately!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronep View Post

Page 29 of user manual contained mis information that caused an entire day of frustration & 5 calls to Funai's product support phone line.

When attempting to access over the air tv channels, the manual stated that after "Auto Channel Preset" scanning is finished, the MENU button is to be pressed (instruction #5). The correct button to press is the RETURN button. Pressing the MENU button prevented digital channels from being accessed.

I asked via e-mail to Funai that a correction sheet to all units of this model be inserted in the product's box before the retailer delivers them to customers.

sincerely, Aaron Epstein

This person found one.
post #12433 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Bodhi...

This proves our recorders do NOT record in anamorphic.

That's what anamorphic means... "smart widescreen". It'll come out looking right on either type of display. It'll even add the black bars for a 4x3 set, tho' there are none on the recording.

Since you got the "tall and thin" effect on a 4x3 screen, that proves the recording was NOT anamorphic.

EDIT:
I do wonder tho', about the re-do DVDs you created from those recordings using your computer's software and burner. How do THOSE come out on a 4x3 set? If the black bars are then added, then your computer made the widescreen recordings anamorphic. I recently found a freebie DVD burning program on CNET that actually made widescreen vids anamorphic. They come out letterboxed with black bars on a 4x3 set, but fullscreen with no black bars on a 16x9 set. Only problem is the stupid program doesn't create menus. Just burns the vids to DVD.

No, I did not get "tall and thin" effect on 4x3! It was on an HDTV 16x9
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure, because just changing the flag enabled the Mag to send the correct info to the 16x9 TV.
post #12434 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

No, I did not get "tall and thin" effect on 4x3! It was on an HDTV 16x9
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure, because just changing the flag enabled the Mag to send the correct info to the 16x9 TV.

Oh....

See, that's the thing. I need to know about how it displays on a real 4x3 set. That'd be the telling point. (A widescreen recording that fills a widescreen display, but also shows up somehow letterboxed with black bars on a 4x3 set....THAT'S "anamorphic".)

I can take a 4x3 picture and use computer software to stretch it to fill a 16x9 screen, more or less "locking" it in shape as faux widescreen. It'll be distorted, but it'll fill the screen. It's no big thing, really, to take video that was meant to be widescreen and stretch it back to how it was meant to be.

The only thing this makes me wonder about is why in the world a widescreen recording is displaying "scrunched" on your widescreen set. Supposedly setting the recorder to work with a 16x9 set should have taken care of that.

My sympathies.
post #12435 of 25743 Old 12-23-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Oh....

See, that's the thing. I need to know about how it displays on a real 4x3 set. That'd be the telling point. (A widescreen recording that fills a widescreen display, but also shows up somehow letterboxed with black bars on a 4x3 set....THAT'S "anamorphic".)

I can take a 4x3 picture and use computer software to stretch it to fill a 16x9 screen, more or less "locking" it in shape as faux widescreen. It'll be distorted, but it'll fill the screen. It's no big thing, really, to take video that was meant to be widescreen and stretch it back to how it was meant to be.

The only thing this makes me wonder about is why in the world a widescreen recording is displaying "scrunched" on your widescreen set. Supposedly setting the recorder to work with a 16x9 set should have taken care of that.

My sympathies.

Thanks! I believe that's the behavior of an anamorphic recording without the flag set to correct aspect ratio. I'd bet if the flag is set correctly, it would display correctly as letter boxed picture on a 4x3 set, too.
post #12436 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho View Post

Another question...when you search DVR (at least tonight), the 515 doesn't come up at all! But when you search for "Magnavox" it's number one and the 513 is number two. Search for 515 and it's nowhere to be found.

I'd bet Wally's trying to dump the 513s.

Yeah, but perhaps you're giving walmart.com too much credit. If they wanted to really unload the inventory of 513s, you would see a pallet of them in every store right in the middle. Most likely: it takes weeks for a web site change, if ever. I have always searched by HDD size but I know what I'm looking for. Also, your previous searches on the walmart.com home page may not reflect the current price. You have to check the specific web page for the item. Or so I have noticed. Stuff changes. Compared to five years ago walmart.com has come a long way.
post #12437 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Happy holidays everybody. You've been such a great help this year, so I just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice. Now I'm all plugged in and ready to veg out! Here's hoping for another fun year.
post #12438 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

Happy holidays everybody. You've been such a great help this year, so I just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice. Now I'm all plugged in and ready to veg out! Here's hoping for another fun year.

Same to you. Be careful what you wish for. If Comcast gets to eat NBC's lunch, things could get interesting. You never know.
post #12439 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Hi,

At my laptop there is a pre installed Super Multi Drive: Works as a multi-functional DVD Dual Drive and a DVD RAM Drive.

The model is: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C

My question is:

From Blank +DVDR OR -DVDR or/and +DVDRW Discs -DVDRW Discs , what would be the best type for my laptop DVD RW DRIVE?

In my country this current year of 2010, I have the following choices to purchase from the computer shops:

1. Verbatim +DVDR OR -DVDR
2. Sony +DVDR OR -DVDR
3. Memorex +DVDR OR -DVDR

I cannot understand the + - symbols

Thanks and happy holidays!!!
post #12440 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #12441 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 PM

I was in tears, thought I was tech savvy until the 515 showed up. after a simple hook up and much work on the manual the thing just froze up. Spent 35 min with tech and tried everything he suggested to no avail, it was the tech that told me to box it up and take it back. Walmart return is fantastic. I really wanted this one to work. It did come fed-x in a bugget rental truck with guys most likely working piece meal. I am now looking at different ideas on what to do. May just try to dub my VHS tapes using computer will need to research this one good never did anything like that before. Thanks to eveyone and the great input on the Mag 515 I do wish it would have worked.
post #12442 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng View Post

I was in tears, thought I was tech savvy until the 515 showed up. after a simple hook up and much work on the manual the thing just froze up. Spent 35 min with tech and tried everything he suggested to no avail, it was the tech that told me to box it up and take it back. Walmart return is fantastic. I really wanted this one to work. It did come fed-x in a bugget rental truck with guys most likely working piece meal. I am now looking at different ideas on what to do. May just try to dub my VHS tapes using computer will need to research this one good never did anything like that before. Thanks to eveyone and the great input on the Mag 515 I do wish it would have worked.

My earlest predecessor to the 515, the Philips 3575, was defective, and I had to send it back.

They replaced it with a 3576, which worked great. Since then I've also bought the 2160, the 2080, and the 2160A. All of them great machines that do just what they should.

Give it another try. You gave up too soon.
post #12443 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If anyone else runs into a freeze or other problem with a NEW or OLD unit, please ask for help here before calling the clueless "tech" (script readers) who are only sometimes right... when they go "off-script" and read it here first! Lots of "ex-spurts" here!
post #12444 of 25743 Old 12-24-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

I do wish it would have worked.

You should really give it another chance. With modern electronics they seem to have trouble within the first month or work for years. With W/M you're out nothing but your time exchanging for a new one.
post #12445 of 25743 Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

If anyone else runs into a freeze or other problem with a NEW or OLD unit, please ask for help here before calling the clueless "tech" (script readers) who are only sometimes right... when they go "off-script" and read it here first! Lots of "ex-spurts" here!

Well, seeing as you offered.... (even though I already called the Tech line before finding this forum..)

I have a Philips DVDR3575H/37 that has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years, until about 2 weeks ago. I recorded an "on the fly" 3 hour program, and once it was done I went back to watch it. When I click the "Play from start" in the menu, it Froze, and after a few minutes an Error screen pops up saying "System Error, please turn off Power" and a code of SE 2 in the lower right corner. It freezes now on ANY of the recording prior to this cut, and when clicking any Menu option. (Delete, Resume..etc) It takes pulling the power plug to get it reset. Then I can make NEW recordings

This is cut # 24 on page 4 of the saved cuts (6 per page), and I can record new cuts AFTER these and play/resume/edit/delete them just fine, but can not do anything with the older cuts. The Thumbnails show up, but do not play the "preview".

Any ideas on how or if I can save the older cuts, as I was wanting to burn them off to the DVD. Or, is a HDD format in order, thus loosing all the cuts. I have updated to the latest Firmware for the 3575, but that didn't help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,

Bob in Michigan
post #12446 of 25743 Old 12-25-2010, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bob,

I have a 3575 refurb that sometimes gives me the SE2 error, but mine always behaves normally after unplugging and replugging. Mine is caused by a bad spot on the HDD.

You might need to try a Soft Reset (#2 here) first, as described here.

If that doesn't clear things up, let us know.
post #12447 of 25743 Old 12-25-2010, 12:54 PM

Is this supposed to happen when I delete a scene within a title? Upon playback of the area where the deletion was made, the video pauses briefly at the Start Delete point, then resumes playing again. Shouldn't it just continue to smoothly play through the delete points?
post #12448 of 25743 Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay View Post

Is this supposed to happen when I delete a scene within a title? Upon playback of the area where the deletion was made, the video pauses briefly at the Start Delete point, then resumes playing again. Shouldn't it just continue to smoothly play through the delete points?

Yes, there's a slight pause at deleted section points, as described here.
post #12449 of 25743 Old 12-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Bob,

I have a 3575 refurb that sometimes gives me the SE2 error, but mine always behaves normally after unplugging and replugging. Mine is caused by a bad spot on the HDD.

You might need to try a Soft Reset (#2 here) first, as described here.

If that doesn't clear things up, let us know.

Thanks Wajo,
I gave the soft reset a try. Still no luck.
Noticed when I try to play one of the 24 cuts, the thumbnails go dark as it freezes on the "Play from Start".

Bob in Michigan
post #12450 of 25743 Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 AM

Long time lurker / first time poster. Just purchased a Magnavox MDR-515H. This is my fourth DVR in the Philips/Magnavox line (515 + 3575 with eSATA external dock + 3575 + HDRW720).
I completely agree with those that have been very very happy about the "Wish List" changes to the 515 that were a direct result of this forum. My favorite improvements are the additional 180GB (500GB total), pre-titling of scheduled Timer programs, and the Timer "Skip Once" function. It is absolutely worth the extra $50 (over the current cost of the 513 which is still a great machine). There is no dispute that the 515 is the best unit yet. The remote control for the 515 is a significant improvement over the remote for the 513.
I have to give major applause to WAJO and the many others who have posted such excellent information in this forum. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

dfw515

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page