Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 424 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12691 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The problem with all this wishing and dreaming is that the movie studios don't want you making permanent recordings of anything. They want you to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray for $15-30. They have powerful lobbies in DC convincing congress to pass laws preventing HD recording. They would like to shutdown SD recording via the analog loop hole, but that horse is already out of the barn. They want to make it illegal for a device to have anything besides HDMI outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
They would like to shutdown SD recording via the analog loop hole, but that horse is already out of the barn. They want to make it illegal for a device to have anything besides HDMI outputs.

Get your analog-loophole-friendly 515's NOW... seriously!

post #12693 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my 515 from Walmart yesterday and have read thru a few dozen pages in this thread. The setup guides have helped out very much.

I have FiOS coming into a Motorola HD DVR and then I pass the signal thru component to My AV receiver which is a Yamaha RX-Z9. From the AV I send my video signal to the DLP Monitor and audio to the surround sound.

What the guides suggest is to put the 515 1st in line off the cable and then go component to the AV with coax digital out for audio. Problem is I am trying to get the movies in the HD DVR to the 515. This made me think I needed to put the 515 after the DVR. The guides show to use S-Video out from the DVR to the 515 but I am not sure the DVR outputs both component and S-vid at the same time or if there is a priority in place, I did not test for this. How should I set it up so I can send component signal from the DVR to the AV and record what is on the DVR to the 515?

I called FiOS and was told to use the USB on the HD DVR and copy to my PC HDD. They are not offering the newer 500G DVR yet and will notify when it is for sale.
post #12694 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox3 View Post

I called FiOS and was told to use the USB on the HD DVR and copy to my PC HDD. They are not offering the newer 500G DVR yet and will notify when it is for sale.

I didn't think the USB port was active on the FIOS Motorola boxes. Are you sure they didn't say firewire?
post #12695 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What the guides suggest is to put the 515 1st in line off the cable and then go component to the AV with coax digital out for audio. Problem is I am trying to get the movies in the HD DVR to the 515. This made me think I needed to put the 515 after the DVR. The guides show to use S-Video out from the DVR to the 515 but I am not sure the DVR outputs both component and S-vid at the same time or if there is a priority in place, I did not test for this. How should I set it up so I can send component signal from the DVR to the AV and record what is on the DVR to the 515?

I split the coax before my FIOS STB, one coax to the STB and the other coax to the Mag. The STB is connected to the TV with component cables and is also connected to the Mag on L1 with composite cables. I can see and record anything from the FIOS STB on the Mag by selecting input L1. It works pretty good that way but the FIOS STB only outputs 4:3 over composite and S-video.
post #12696 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM

Hi everyone,
I just picked up my new 515 from my local Walmart, I got it using their "site-to-store" option" so it took a bit longer. I opened it up and was not happy. The remote control was used HEAVILY by SOMEONE, the face of it is all scratched up! The cables and the battery pack look new, the machine itself looks new, but I'm concerned. Does Walmart sell "renewed" 515s? I bought this with my CC from walmart.com on the 29th, was told I'd receive it between the 5th and 11th of this month, tracked it with the tracking number thru walmart's system, and picked it up today, the same day I was emailed that it had arrived at my local Walmart. Has this happened to anyone else here in the Forum? I talked to a Funai customer service rep and he said I can get a new remote control thru their Parts and Accesory department when they are availible on monday...very disturbing!
post #12697 of 25741 Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 PM

A quick note, I just checked my CC company, they show my CC was charged for the Walmart purchase on Jan. 1st...so I guess that is the date of the sale, not Dec. 29th...I can say this, if my local Walmart had OTHER 515s in stock, I'd have taken this 515 back. Unfortunately Walmart only offers the 515 online, so if I take back this one I have to wait longer for another one to be shipped...not happy!
post #12698 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

The problem with all this wishing and dreaming is that the movie studios don't want you making permanent recordings of anything. They want you to buy the DVD/Blu-Ray for $15-30. They have powerful lobbies in DC convincing congress to pass laws preventing HD recording. They would like to shutdown SD recording via the analog loop hole, but that horse is already out of the barn. They want to make it illegal for a device to have anything besides HDMI outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

It's coming faster than one may think. Intel this week announced and will display at the current CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in Las Vegas, their new "i" series processors which prohibit copying of motion picture content.

Quote:

.......Sandy Bridge, the latest line of Intel's Core i series CPUs, will reportedly feature faster speeds, better integrated graphics, lower power consumption and a DRM scheme to protect the content of motion picture studios. The so-called Intel Insider will apparently be a required component for users to access certain online movie offerings.The so-called Intel Insider will apparently be a required component for users to access certain online movie offerings..........TechNewsWorld.com

More at: Bloomberg News.Com

post #12699 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1960 View Post

A quick note, I just checked my CC company, they show my CC was charged for the Walmart purchase on Jan. 1st...so I guess that is the date of the sale, not Dec. 29th...I can say this, if my local Walmart had OTHER 515s in stock, I'd have taken this 515 back. Unfortunately Walmart only offers the 515 online, so if I take back this one I have to wait longer for another one to be shipped...not happy!

Normally a CC is charged when an item is shipped. Walmart does not sell refurbished units. Your experience is normal, except for the remote. I would call them on Monday and get a new one. On post #1 there are diagnostic codes that will show you how many hours are on your laser. Check it out.
post #12700 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Liked: 12
I purchased a R & J referb of a 2160A back in September with the hopes of being able to figure out the hard drive format. Well I got some time to work on it over Christmas and just got the thing setup. I wanted to be able to switch hard drives quickly and going with an external was the best way.

Auskck did an external hard drive and suggested a cable from CPU Stuff. I found that CPU Stuff had just the right cable for the job. Auskck's post.

SATA Male 22 pin to eSATA 7 pin Panel Mount

The cable plugs into the PCB that normally plugs into the hard drive just perfectly. Has good retention force as well.

I had two blanked out hard drives that I initialized and they are working well. I have to look at what was written yet. I will post my findings on my thread on the hard drive format.

So far I have used a Seagate 80 Gig, the drive it came with 160 Gig and I hope later this weekend to try a Seagate 40 Gig drive. I had the 40 and 80 just laying around so no big deal to try them out.
post #12701 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I didn't think the USB port was active on the FIOS Motorola boxes. Are you sure they didn't say firewire?

Yes I told the tech that my DVR was full and I wanted to add the new DVR with 500Gb HDD so I would not hafta erase over existing movies. She told me I could copy off the HD DVR thru the USB to my PC.

When I looked at the back of the HD DVR I saw USB, ethernet and HDMI connections. Not sure if any of them are active though except for what she told me about the USB.
post #12702 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I told the tech that my DVR was full and I wanted to add the new DVR with 500Gb HDD so I would not hafta erase over existing movies. She told me I could copy off the HD DVR thru the USB to my PC.

When I looked at the back of the HD DVR I saw USB, ethernet and HDMI connections. Not sure if any of them are active though except for what she told me about the USB.

If you get that to work please let me know.
post #12703 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You should put the 515 1st on the coax (so it can amplify the signal for the box and TV) and run Composite YWR or S-Video+L/R audio back to the 515 from the Moto box. The "order" of the units makes no diff. for the box>515 connection. (If you order PPV thru the box, use a splitter instead since the 515 coax circuit is not bidirectional so your "orders" won't be received by your cableco.)

If you use Component with Progressive Scan ON, that will cut off any signal from the Composite or S-Video connection (in the Mag units only). You can run Component and Comp/S-Vid if you leave Progressive Scan OFF.

Here's what I have now in the Connections help file on the simultaneous output you asked about:

"Simultaneous Output of INTERNAL DVDR Stuff (Menus, DVDR Channels, HDD, DVD).

In a single-TV setup, you'll be able to connect all four outputs to a single TV and see internal DVDR stuff by selecting the appropriate INPUT on that TV.

For sending the same internal pic simultaneously to two TVs, like in different rooms, AFAIK you can use any combo of connections if you leave Progressive Scan OFF. If Progressive Scan is ON, there won't be any output from the Yellow Composite or S-Video connector.

One user long ago reported that Composite and S-Vid connections were not simultaneously active with HDMI or Component, but I'm not sure if he might have had Progressive Scan ON, and I think that was before we knew about this limitation. You'll have to try, just keep Progressive Scan OFF, which only applies to Component anyway, HDMI sets its own formats."

I'd like to see another user report on simultaneous output with Progressive Scan OFF, so maybe you can do that with your setup?
post #12704 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Hi everyone,
I just picked up my new 515 from my local Walmart, I got it using their "site-to-store" option" so it took a bit longer. I opened it up and was not happy. The remote control was used HEAVILY by SOMEONE, the face of it is all scratched up! The cables and the battery pack look new, the machine itself looks new, but I'm concerned. Does Walmart sell "renewed" 515s? I bought this with my CC from walmart.com on the 29th, was told I'd receive it between the 5th and 11th of this month, tracked it with the tracking number thru walmart's system, and picked it up today, the same day I was emailed that it had arrived at my local Walmart. Has this happened to anyone else here in the Forum? I talked to a Funai customer service rep and he said I can get a new remote control thru their Parts and Accesory department when they are availible on monday...very disturbing!

Once you peel off the cellophane covering the remote will look better to you.

My elderly mother drove her Buick Regal for seven years with the cellophane covering parts of the instrument panel. It looked awful after seven years until I drove the Regal one day. I peeled the cellophane off. She was amazed how much better the instrument panel looked.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #12705 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 AM

I have 3576 and Comcast is ruining my life with their "improved" digital cable, which requires a box. The passthrough signal for the over-the-air channels contains most of what I want, but for some reason when I enter 5.1 into the remote, the tuner settles on 5.3 . If I hit the up-channel button the tuner at first tries to go to 6.x, then settles on 5.1
The problem is that if I program a timer to 5.1, I get a blank recording. If I leave the unit set to 5.1 and don't turn it off, I can record, but of course the unit then powers off at the end of the recording and now I'm screwed again.

Any thoughts or recommendations? (I'm trying to get the right antenna to capture the over-the-air signals, but I'm in a dead spot.)
post #12706 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaves View Post

I have 3576 and Comcast is ruining my life with their "improved" digital cable, which requires a box. The passthrough signal for the over-the-air channels contains most of what I want, but for some reason when I enter 5.1 into the remote, the tuner settles on 5.3 . If I hit the up-channel button the tuner at first tries to go to 6.x, then settles on 5.1
The problem is that if I program a timer to 5.1, I get a blank recording. If I leave the unit set to 5.1 and don't turn it off, I can record, but of course the unit then powers off at the end of the recording and now I'm screwed again.

Any thoughts or recommendations? (I'm trying to get the right antenna to capture the over-the-air signals, but I'm in a dead spot.)

When using a cable converter box tuning is through the converter box, not the 3576. When attempting to tune with the 3576 remote you are landing on sub-channels from the previous antenna or cable channel scan.

If you are feeding the converter box RF output to the 3576 RF input you must leave the 3576 tuned to ANALOG CHANNEL 3 (or 4).

If you are feeding a converter box S-Video or yellow composite video plus white/red audio to the corresponding 3576 input, the 3576 internal tuner is bypassed. Use the 3576 SOURCE button to select the appropriate input.

I use dual connectivity with my 3576, cable converter box input to the yellow, white and red composite inputs and antenna connection to the RF input tuned by the 3576 model's internal ATSC tuner. This 6 October 2010 post describes that setup and includes a staged photo simulating that connectivity with a 2160:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19299886

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #12707 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 AM

sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. My bitching about Comcast is merely a side show - they screwed up my previously satisfactory TV life.

I am NOT using the cable box. The over-the-air channels continue to be provided in an unencrypted format over the cable and hence the tuners of the 3576 are active.

I did a rescan for channels after the switchover, and 5.1 is a valid channel. It's just that it is somehow screwy in the sense that if I enter 5 dot 1 on the remote, you get 5.3 . If I then use the up-channel button, the TV at first displays the msg that it is scanning 6, then locks on 5.1, which displays the show from 5.1 (ie, it works). Same thing happens on 2.1 - I get 2.2 until I try up-channel, at which point it starts seeking on 4 (the next active channel), then locks on 2.1

Since almost everything I want to record is on 5.1, my problem would be solved if there were some way to prevent the unit from shutting off when it's done recording.
post #12708 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

They have already convinced some of the cable companies to disable the analog ports on their boxes when showing some newer movies
post #12709 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

... when I enter 5.1 into the remote, the tuner settles on 5.3 . If I hit the up-channel button the tuner at first tries to go to 6.x, then settles on 5.1

It might be "tuning interference," but first, try setting a timer rec program for that 5.1 AFTER tuning to it as you described above (ch. up, it bounces to 5.1, etc,) Whatever channel that really is should already be in the menu since that's the channel you're on now. While there, set a short timer rec program for that channel to test.
post #12710 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi all - haven't visited in a while so happy to see the "news" on the 515. Only question was how many to order and whether to get the extended warranty? Any advice on that?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #12711 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Liked: 21
Hey folks...

I decided to finally take the plunge and upgrade the HDD in my 2160A...

I've narrowed it down to 3 Western Digital models... but I need help choosing the best model...

None of these are listed on the HDD/DVD Replacement & Upgrade page...

All 3 OEM drives are similar in price at Amazon.com... so price is no concern...

They are the following:

(Type of Drive: Model & Specs)

WD AV-GP: WD5000AVDS
Amazon Link

WD Caviar Green: WD5000AADS
Amazon Link

WD Caviar Black: WD5001AALS
Amazon Link

Thanks in advance for any help/tips/advice you can provide .

I'm like a beaver...
A hot little beaver...
post #12712 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM

> I am NOT using the cable box. The over-the-air channels
> continue to be provided in an unencrypted format over
> the cable and hence the tuners of the 3576 are active.

Read the sticky on virtualized channels. Your symptoms are those of corrupted PSIPs.

Comcast is re-generating the signals from OTA and it is not unusual that they do it badly.

If you can see TV 5.1 on Maggie 5.3, and setting 5.3 for your timed events records TV 5.1 then accept 5.3 as the address that the Maggie can lock to with corrupted PSIPs. There are many worse side effects of corrupted PSIPs than a difference in channel number.

Comcast does do occasional maintenance and if it starts sending valid PSIPs, then TV 5.1 may become Maggie 5.1 and all your 5.3 recordings would then be black. You need to keep an eye on the situation.
post #12713 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM

> I've narrowed it down to 3 Western Digital models...
> but I need help choosing the best model...
>
> None of these are listed on the HDD/DVD Replacement & Upgrade page...

Wajo left the WDs in a link of mine way back when, it is somewhere on the page.

Black is hiperformance and uses over twice the power of Green. Avoid it in a DVDR, great for your PC.

The AV-GP is optimized for video farms in professional environments, Funai uses PC-type drives for lower cost so there is nothing to be gained from the nominal benefits of AV-GPs.

The Greens are higher volume, get more attention, and have reduced their power utilization since first introduced. Great drives, have used several in TiVO as well as Maggie.

Have used both AVDS and AADS, go with the cheapest, they are both quiet, low heat drives.
post #12714 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post

Read the sticky on virtualized channels. Your symptoms are those of corrupted PSIPs.

Comcast is re-generating the signals from OTA and it is not unusual that they do it badly.

If you can see TV 5.1 on Maggie 5.3, and setting 5.3 for your timed events records TV 5.1 then accept 5.3 as the address that the Maggie can lock to with corrupted PSIPs. There are many worse side effects of corrupted PSIPs than a difference in channel number.

Comcast does do occasional maintenance and if it starts sending valid PSIPs, then TV 5.1 may become Maggie 5.1 and all your 5.3 recordings would then be black. You need to keep an eye on the situation.

thanks - this was precisely the information I needed. My symptoms exactly match the corrupted PSIPs described in the sticky. My problem is not that 5.1 comes in on 5.3, but rather that keying in 5.1 gives 5.3 and then up-channel takes me to 5.1 This renders timers useless, as noted in the sticky. My only hope is for Comcast to fix their corrupted channels.
post #12715 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

thanks - this was precisely the information I needed. My symptoms exactly match the corrupted PSIPs described in the sticky. My problem is not that 5.1 comes in on 5.3, but rather that keying in 5.1 gives 5.3 and then up-channel takes me to 5.1 This renders timers useless, as noted in the sticky. My only hope is for Comcast to fix their corrupted channels.

They likely won't.

You have the same problem I do with a PBS station here. It has four sub-channels (or three...they're .1 up to .4), but we can't tune .1 directly because apparently Comcast assigned some other channel to that main channel number, so it's also claiming to be the .1 for that channel. (Of course, with all the cable channels being scrambled and only the locals being in the clear, I have no idea what channel the other .1 is.)

Anyway, if I key in the .1 channel number, I get .2. Stepping up to .3 and then .4 and beyond will THEN get me to .1, but to record it I have to leave the machine on and tuned to it. As with your 5.1, there's no way to do a timer record if the machine is left off.

In your area, some other channel must also be claiming to be 5.1, due to Comcast's number system.

Seems to me this would violate SOMETHING from the FCC, but since they're more interested in cable cards than QAM tuners, maybe not.

You could always contact your nearest FCC office and describe what your local Comcast outlet is doing, making it impossible for your own equipment to tune a local channel on its own.

If they do anything, PLEASE tell us here. I'd like to be able to tune all our locals directly too.

As a side point, you might want to try recording from the analog version of 5.1, if your Comcast outlet is still sending out locals in analog. That should still be there. (It's the only way I can do a " leave the machine off" timer recording of that PBS channel. Happily it doesn't broadcast in high def, so the aspect ratio is the same on both versions. Yours might not be, tho'.)
post #12716 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

You have the same problem I do with a PBS station here. It has four sub-channels (or three...they're .1 up to .4), but we can't tune .1 directly because apparently Comcast assigned some other channel to that main channel number, so it's also claiming to be the .1 for that channel. (Of course, with all the cable channels being scrambled and only the locals being in the clear, I have no idea what channel the other .1 is.)

Any chance you're in the Albq TV market area? Because my problem is also my PBS affiliate, also on 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4

For most of the shows I want, I can find them at an alternate time on 5.3
For the few that I can't, I can find them in analog SD, but that's pretty crappy.
post #12717 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Hi Digado, No, no cellophane on the remote, it did come in a baggie with the 515, but has nothing adhereing to the face of the remote. I'm trying to decide weather to return just the USED remote or insist on a new factory sealed 515, even though I'll have to wait longer for it. I'm leaning to insisting on an entirely new unit...
post #12718 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Digado, No, no cellophane on the remote, it did come in a baggie with the 515, but has nothing adhereing to the face of the remote. I'm trying to decide weather to return just the USED remote or insist on a new factory sealed 515, even though I'll have to wait longer for it. I'm leaning to insisting on an entirely new unit...

Here I am removing the protective covering from my Magnavox 515 remote:
LL

post #12719 of 25741 Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Any chance you're in the Albq TV market area? Because my problem is also my PBS affiliate, also on 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4...

Nope. This is just a nasty co-inky-dink. Our PBS station has a double digit main channel number.

So nice that Comcast is concerned about educational TV and viewers/subscribers being able to watch such channels.
post #12720 of 25741 Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I wish you luck, if you decide to try to get Wal-mart to let you do just a remote control swap. Returns with Wal-mart, for a replacement usually require a full return of everything, and I mean everything. And they give you a entire new replacement, they do not at all like to swap out just parts. I had a combo VCR/DVD recorder that I needed to exchange because it was eating tapes, and they went through the entire box, and even checked the page in the owners manual where it shows what accessories it came with to verify that they were all there before they would give me another one. Sure enough I forgot to put the crappy composite video cable back in the box that it came with, and I had to argue with them for over 30 minutes to just take the composite cable out of the new box and to just put in the old box in place of the one I forgot to include with the one I was returning.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page