Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 425 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12721 of 25917 Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by llaves View Post

thanks - this was precisely the information I needed. My symptoms exactly match the corrupted PSIPs described in the sticky. My problem is not that 5.1 comes in on 5.3, but rather that keying in 5.1 gives 5.3 and then up-channel takes me to 5.1 This renders timers useless, as noted in the sticky. My only hope is for Comcast to fix their corrupted channels.

You have a new twist then, have not encountered the case before where CHNL 5.1 TV viewable on 5.3 MAG would not time record on 5.3 MAG.

The Maggie does the best it can with corrupted PSIPs and if it can lock CHNL directly by pressing 5.3 then it can time record 5.3.

> My only hope is for Comcast to fix their corrupted channels.

Hell will freeze over before they do it in response to a complaint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 25917 Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro_Stormy View Post

Hey folks...

I decided to finally take the plunge and upgrade the HDD in my 2160A...

They are the following:

(Type of Drive: Model & Specs)

WD AV-GP: WD5000AVDS
Amazon Link

WD Caviar Green: WD5000AADS
Amazon Link

WD Caviar Black: WD5001AALS
Amazon Link

I concur with sydyen, the black uses too much power and you don't need the extra speed. The AV has a bigger cache than the green but plenty of green drives have been used as replacement drives.

I went with a 2.5" AV drive and got even lower power than the 3.5" green drive. It was only about 1% slower than the 3.5" AV drive as well. It does take some work mounting the 2.5" where the 3.5" in just screw it in.
post #12723 of 25917 Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Did anybody else find it disturbing that Wajo had to post this?

"Several people have bought a new unit, tried to open the DVD tray first thing, and it wouldn't open. Be aware that the tray won't operate until the unit is fully connected and set up with time, date, channels, etc. See this post (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=11868) for more info."

Ease of use is paramount in today's products, and industry practice rules when it comes to consumer behavior. Take a second, and anticipate what a new buyer is likely to do when he/she gets home with a new DVD player/recorder.

- Unpack on the floor in front of the TV
- Plug power cable into the wall
- Plug composite cable to the TV's side or front input
- Press TV power on
- [maybe] Put batteries in remote
- Press DVD power on
- Press Open/Close
- AAAARGHG!!!

This is not user error, it is a manufacturer boo-boo because nothing has to be set up in advance to play a DVD:

- the time does not matter
- the date does not matter
- the channels do not matter

Reading the manual never needs to be done for those buyers who simply want the same response from the new device as their previous one. Nobody should have to read a manual to find out how to turn a device on, or open a drawer.

Rule of thumb: if a device does not respond to front panel controls [or the remote] after Power On then it is NOT WORKING!

A device has to indicate to the buyer that it is alive and well, and in the case of the Magnavox which needs 'assistance' to proceed then a common failure mode applies e.g. if Setup has not been done:

- When user presses xx.y to watch TV, go to General Settings
- When user attempts to set a timed recording, go to General Settings
- When user presses Open, open the tray would be the right response, but going to General Settings would be an irritating but acceptable response.

A higher level of sophistication would go to General Settings/Channels or General Settings/Clock respectively, but it is not necessary.

Since the Wish List is to provide guidance to Funai for future models or microcode upgrades, then please add:

Code:
     Remove any pre-requisites for responding to commands from the front panel or remote.

If a command cannot be executed, display General Settings screen.
post #12724 of 25917 Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post

No.
post #12725 of 25917 Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

No.

more "broken DVD tray" refurbs" for us?
post #12726 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Page 37 in a new car owner's manual. Small print.

"Please be aware that the windshield wipers on this vehicle will not function unless you've first input settings for all preset buttons on the radio."

Nobody would know, and if they found out, nobody would tolerate it.
post #12727 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydyen View Post
Not really, but you have a valid issue. When I power on any of my Sony products for the first time (or do a factory reset), I am asked to choose a language. The product (DVD, DVR, TV) will not skip setup. But that's a software issue. I don't know how Funai Corp "works" internally. It's a whole diffferent culture which can be hard for me to understand sometimes. I also have a Mitsubishi car - same opinion.

Most people buy the unit at either Walmart or Amazon. They don't go to BestBuy where they have better chance for advice or support. So I feel it is on Funai's shoulders to make it "idiot proof". It ain't that hard.

Wajo didn't have to make that post. He wants to help people or he surely would not spend so much time trying. Funai is trying too or there would not be a 515H. But wajo doesn't have to make a profit. This is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
post #12728 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1960 View Post
Hi Digado, No, no cellophane on the remote, it did come in a baggie with the 515, but has nothing adhereing to the face of the remote. I'm trying to decide weather to return just the USED remote or insist on a new factory sealed 515, even though I'll have to wait longer for it. I'm leaning to insisting on an entirely new unit...
Does the box look like it has been taped twice? If it has not been, then it came from Funai like that.
post #12729 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Liked: 11
First of all, thanks to wajo and his fantastic guide for this unit on the first several pages on this forum. I have read all of it and I do appreciate that it goes a bit beyond the user manual.

Two weeks ago I purchased the Magnavox 513 with FW "72A" from Amazon.com -- It's been great so far.

The Issue:
Today while viewing a HDD recording, I wanted to skip the commercial (like I always do) and discovered it wasn't responding to my remote control command. Though the recording was still playing, I could not stop it, turn it off, nor anything--even if I pressed the buttons that are located in the front of the unit.

So I unplugged the AC cord from the wall. I then plugged it back in, but the unit would not power up. It would just show the current time. So I unplugged the unit for over 5 minutes and then pressed the Power button that is located in the front of the unit while plugging it back in. It turned on. But I lost the Timer Programming and the DTV channels. So I had to reprogram everything again and rescan my channels.

I know that the Timer Programming gets lost after 30 seconds--so that's not the issue. My question to you is if this has happened before to you? That all of a sudden it doesn't respond? I'd like to know if I am alone on this or not. This way I can prepare to get in contact with Amazon.com and ask for a refund. And perhaps get the 515 from Wal-Mart.
post #12730 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's not unheard of, but it's happened more often (like less than a half dozen times) to my 2080.

I've been thinking of posting myself to ask if anyone here still has a 2080 and how often this happens to them.
post #12731 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyJeffSD View Post

The Issue:
Today while viewing a HDD recording, I wanted to skip the commercial (like I always do) and discovered it wasn't responding to my remote control command. Though the recording was still playing, I could not stop it, turn it off, nor anything--even if I pressed the buttons that are located in the front of the unit.

I've had that happen on the 3575 before, and the cause was that it was displaying an on-screen prompt needing a response that I wasn't seeing because my TV was showing the source input instead of the DVR output. Are you sure you were looking at the DVR output?
post #12732 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I've had that happen on the 3575 before, and the cause was that it was displaying an on-screen prompt needing a response that I wasn't seeing because my TV was showing the source input instead of the DVR output. Are you sure you were looking at the DVR output?

Yes, I was watching the DVR output--the NFL game was playing. Another thing I noticed is that the DVR counter was stuck at 00:05--when this issue occurred.

And no, there was no on-screen prompt needing any response from me.
post #12733 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First of all, thanks to wajo and his fantastic guide for this unit on the first several pages on this forum. I have read all of it and I do appreciate that it goes a bit beyond the user manual.

Two weeks ago I purchased the Magnavox 513 with FW "72A" from Amazon.com -- It's been great so far.

The Issue:

So I unplugged the AC cord from the wall. I then plugged it back in, but the unit would not power up. It would just show the current time. So I unplugged the unit for over 5 minutes and then pressed the Power button that is located in the front of the unit while plugging it back in. It turned on. But I lost the Timer Programming and the DTV channels. So I had to reprogram everything again and rescan my channels.

I know that the Timer Programming gets lost after 30 seconds--so that's not the issue. My question to you is if this has happened before to you? That all of a sudden it doesn't respond? I'd like to know if I am alone on this or not. This way I can prepare to get in contact with Amazon.com and ask for a refund. And perhaps get the 515 from Wal-Mart.

Welcome to the world of Hard Drive DVDR's. While this is not a new phenomenon, it should not be a regular one, but it does happen occasionally. It is called a "freeze". If it keeps happening, then it will develope into a bigger problem. The next time unplug it and leave it for 20 seconds, but not past the 30. After plugging it in wait a little longer before doing anything else to see if it will recover normally. Upon plugging it in, you should at least hear the fan or maybe even the drive if you are standing close to the unit. While hard drives are wonderful, there is always a possability that one can be bad and still pass QC. I think the 515 will retain it's memory for an hour, so if having to reset your recording times may become a hassle, then you may want to send it back and go for the 515. You also, if you have the time, could just let the title finish playing and see what happens. You really want to avoid unplugging it that often that way. Upgrading the firmware may rule out any memory glitches that might have caused the freeze.
post #12734 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

Welcome to the world of Hard Drive DVDR's. While this is not a new phenomenon, it should not be a regular one, but it does happen occasionally. It is called a "freeze". If it keeps happening, then it will develope into a bigger problem. The next time unplug it and leave it for 20 seconds, but not past the 30. After plugging it in wait a little longer before doing anything else to see if it will recover normally. Upon plugging it in, you should at least hear the fan or maybe even the drive if you are standing close to the unit. While hard drives are wonderful, there is always a possability that one can be bad and still pass QC. I think the 515 will retain it's memory for an hour, so if having to reset your recording times may become a hassle, then you may want to send it back and go for the 515. You also, if you have the time, could just let the title finish playing and see what happens. You really want to avoid unplugging it that often that way. Upgrading the firmware may rule out any memory glitches that might have caused the freeze.

Thanks for the tips. I would have let it play until the recorded show was over, but it was a recording of yesterday's NFL football game, and that would have been 3 hrs.

I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this issue. If I notice it happens a bit too many times, then I might just return it and get the 515--at least so I don't have to reprogram all my weekly shows again if this happens again.

I haven't had to update the firmware since it came with the latest version. Do you suggest for me reinstall it?

Once again thank you all for the replies. Good job!
post #12735 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134

I've added real-time record (RTR) discussion to the HSD help file and RTR times to the RTD/HSD Time chart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #12736 of 25917 Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

"Please be aware that the windshield wipers on this vehicle will not function unless you've first input settings for all preset buttons on the radio."

Actually that sounds very reasonable. You need the windshield wipers to work as a metronome to keep time with the music.
post #12737 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Pardon my ignorance here, as I've had very little time with the 515. While playing a recording I made on the HDD, I was viewing it in the medium-sized thumbnail. I understand this seems stupid but the recording originally appeared in a small thumbnail and I navigated around to see if they is a way to protect it, to avoid accidentally deleting it.

Anyway, the program started playing without me selecting Play. I was able to pause, cue (fwd) and review (rew) but the stop command wouldn't work from either the remote or the front panel on the 515.

I assume I'm overlooking something but I saw no mention of this in the destruction manual.

Thanks.
post #12738 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Fender View Post

Pardon my ignorance here, as I've had very little time with the 515. While playing a recording I made on the HDD, I was viewing it in the medium-sized thumbnail. I understand this seems stupid but the recording originally appeared in a small thumbnail and I navigated around to see if they is a way to protect it, to avoid accidentally deleting it.

Anyway, the program started playing without me selecting Play. I was able to pause, cue (fwd) and review (rew) but the stop command wouldn't work from either the remote or the front panel on the 515.

I assume I'm overlooking something but I saw no mention of this in the destruction manual.

Thanks.

The video window you were watching is for editing the recording. It's very useful for doing things like deleting commercials or making chapter marks. If you don't want it to play in that window just hit pause. If you select "play from start" or "resume playback" from the title list you will have full playback control.

To protect a title:
From the title list highlight the title you want to protect. Push the OK button on the remote, select "Edit", then "Protect", then hit the OK button again. A lock icon will appear in the upper left corner of the thumbnail. Repeat the procedure to remove the protection.
post #12739 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't had to update the firmware since it came with the latest version. Do you suggest for me reinstall it?

It may not take it do to that fact, but if it accepts it and does ok, then that was not the source of the freeze. If it does accept it and fails, then you will find out right away the unit has a defect. If it does not accept it, all you have done is waste time burning the firmware onto a blank cd or DVD.
post #12740 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic View Post

Actually that sounds very reasonable. You need the windshield wipers to work as a metronome to keep time with the music.

You guys are killing me...thanks for the laugh! (Great analogy, BTW)
post #12741 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I would have let it play until the recorded show was over, but it was a recording of yesterday's NFL football game, and that would have been 3 hrs.

I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this issue. If I notice it happens a bit too many times, then I might just return it and get the 515--at least so I don't have to reprogram all my weekly shows again if this happens again.

I wouldn't play with the FW yet... your problem is so "minor" and your 1st bolded statement suggests many other things possible. See if it happens ever again.

|
|
|
post #12742 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM

So the (in)ability to stop the video is normal while in that edit mode?

[quote=Ken.F;19807534]The video window you were watching is for editing the recording. It's very useful for doing things like deleting commercials or making chapter marks. If you don't want it to play in that window just hit pause. If you select "play from start" or "resume playback" from the title list you will have full playback control.
QUOTE]
post #12743 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Fender View Post

So the (in)ability to stop the video is normal while in that edit mode?

Yes. In order to "stop" the video, either use pause, or get out of edit mode entirely by pressing the back button and go back to the title list (small thumbnails).
post #12744 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Analog sunset begins, all the new Blu-ray players will only output HD via HDMI
By Ben Drawbaugh posted Jan 10, 2011 9:34PM

The chicken littles have been worried about this since long before the first Blu-ray (or even HD DVD) title was ever released, and the first step towards the analog sunset has officially come. Any new Blu-ray player announced after January 1st 2011 will only output HD via HDMI -- players that started shipping last year can still be sold until the end of this year though. If you just love component video, you might figure you'll be able to get a player today and continue to enjoy it for years to come, but maybe not. You see the studios also have the Image Constraint Token (ICT) which when set on a title will tell every and all Blu-ray players to down convert analog output to 540p. The only reprieve is that if its set on a title, it must be marked on the box, and of course it can't be retroactively set (any title you own now will continue to play exactly the same way it does on your existing players). We're waiting for final confirmation, but apparently the ICT hasn't been an option to studios until now so start looking for the icon on your latest purchases. The final stage in the sunset is 2013 when analog outputs will be removed from Blu-ray players completely, but we suspect we'll have better things to worry about by then like ultra HD or digital distribution.

Source: AACS LA license (PDF)
post #12745 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Another reason I don't really want to switch to BR! Yes I know DVD isn't HD but it can be very good with a good source. Unfortunately I see a time that we'll no longer be able to purchase commercial DVDs, only BRs Then and probably only then, I'll pick up a BR player.
Yes I was the same way with VHS, the discontinuation of commercial VHS tapes prompted my move to DVD but that move I DON'T regret. From what I've seen, I don't think I'll have the same feelings about BR.
post #12746 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

Analog sunset begins, all the new Blu-ray players will only output HD via HDMI
By Ben Drawbaugh posted Jan 10, 2011 9:34PM

The chicken littles have been worried about this since long before the first Blu-ray (or even HD DVD) title was ever released, and the first step towards the analog sunset has officially come. Any new Blu-ray player announced after January 1st 2011 will only output HD via HDMI -- players that started shipping last year can still be sold until the end of this year though. If you just love component video, you might figure you'll be able to get a player today and continue to enjoy it for years to come, but maybe not. You see the studios also have the Image Constraint Token (ICT) which when set on a title will tell every and all Blu-ray players to down convert analog output to 540p. The only reprieve is that if its set on a title, it must be marked on the box, and of course it can't be retroactively set (any title you own now will continue to play exactly the same way it does on your existing players). We're waiting for final confirmation, but apparently the ICT hasn't been an option to studios until now so start looking for the icon on your latest purchases. The final stage in the sunset is 2013 when analog outputs will be removed from Blu-ray players completely, but we suspect we'll have better things to worry about by then like ultra HD or digital distribution.

Source: AACS LA license (PDF)

Moral of the story...always heed the chicken little warnings.

I suspect that once my TV/DVD viewing options have been severely curtailed enough, I'll just stop paying for it and find a new hobby.
post #12747 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I am not sure what all of the fuss is about????

Why would any one in their right mind watch downrez BD? Or even spend the money on a BD to watch it downrez? People people, Have you realized that you cannot even play a 3D BD title on a non 3D player or non 3D TV? All you will get is an error. Has any one realized that 80% of this years movies are done in 3D? Todays movies and BD's will play just fine if you have todays Gadgets. Betamax will play just fine if you still have a betamax player. Did you know that Vinyl records are hot in Japan these days? Does anyone think that what they have already recorded on DVD they will have the time to sit down and watch it all before the end of their life? I for one will always enjoy this hobby in one form or another. I have enough source material to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I do love those chicken legs though.
post #12748 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM

How do I high speed dub on the Phillips 3535? I want to go hdd DVD-r but the high mode is grayed out.

PatH
post #12749 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatH View Post

How do I high speed dub on the Phillips 3535? I want to go hdd DVD-r but the high mode is grayed out.

HIGH dub mode will only be available if the title(s) you added to the dub list will fit the capacity of the DVD.

Here's a chart of those times.

|
|
|
post #12750 of 25917 Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

I am not sure what all of the fuss is about????

Why would any one in their right mind watch downrez BD? Or even spend the money on a BD to watch it downrez? People people, Have you realized that you cannot even play a 3D BD title on a non 3D player or non 3D TV? All you will get is an error. Has any one realized that 80% of this years movies are done in 3D? Todays movies and BD's will play just fine if you have todays Gadgets. Betamax will play just fine if you still have a betamax player. Did you know that Vinyl records are hot in Japan these days? Does anyone think that what they have already recorded on DVD they will have the time to sit down and watch it all before the end of their life? I for one will always enjoy this hobby in one form or another. I have enough source material to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I do love those chicken legs though.

You do have a point. But I'm sure people don't want to watch old movies for the rest of their life
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page