Did anybody else find it disturbing that Wajo had to post this?
"Several people have bought a new unit, tried to open the DVD tray first thing, and it wouldn't open. Be aware that the tray won't operate until the unit is fully connected and set up with time, date, channels, etc. See this post (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=11868
) for more info."
Ease of use is paramount in today's products, and industry practice rules when it comes to consumer behavior. Take a second, and anticipate what a new buyer is likely to do when he/she gets home with a new DVD player/recorder.
- Unpack on the floor in front of the TV
- Plug power cable into the wall
- Plug composite cable to the TV's side or front input
- Press TV power on
- [maybe] Put batteries in remote
- Press DVD power on
- Press Open/Close
This is not user error, it is a manufacturer boo-boo because nothing has to be set up in advance to play a DVD:
- the time does not matter
- the date does not matter
- the channels do not matter
Reading the manual never needs to be done for those buyers who simply want the same response from the new device as their previous one. Nobody should have to read a manual to find out how to turn a device on, or open a drawer.
Rule of thumb: if a device does not respond to front panel controls [or the remote] after Power On then it is NOT WORKING!
A device has to indicate to the buyer that it is alive and well, and in the case of the Magnavox which needs 'assistance' to proceed then a common failure mode applies e.g. if Setup has not been done:
- When user presses xx.y to watch TV, go to General Settings
- When user attempts to set a timed recording, go to General Settings
- When user presses Open, open the tray would be the right response, but going to General Settings would be an irritating but acceptable response.
A higher level of sophistication would go to General Settings/Channels or General Settings/Clock respectively, but it is not necessary.
Since the Wish List is to provide guidance to Funai for future models or microcode upgrades, then please add:
Remove any pre-requisites for responding to commands from the front panel or remote.
If a command cannot be executed, display General Settings screen.