Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 430 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12871 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

...I found a place called "Planet73" selling 513 refurbs on Amazon for $150 plus ca. 11 bucks shipping. Their feedback was good (I always *read* the actual customer comments), so I took a chance. The machine that came is indeed a genuine, Funai-approved refurb, not a "yep, the parts are all here, so let's call it 'refurbished' because it sounds better than 'used.'" Not a mark or fingerprint on the cabinet, the HDD was wiped clean, original manual was included (but I never refer to it because this thread is so much more helpful), and all the settings were sent back to factory defaults.

It was wrapped in bubblewrap and shipped in the original factory box, which UPS mangled; the unit was visible through the gaping gash in the box...

It's been my experience that Funai "refurbs" their recorders in Groveport Ohio where they are repackaged in generic brown boxes. The original retail boxes are red. The first photo shows the red retail box for my first 2160 purchased through walmart.com and the brown "refurb" boxes for one 2160A and two 2160 "refurbed" models purchased through J&R. The second photo shows the red retail box for my 515 purchased through walmart.com.

Magnavox "refurbed" models are assigned a new serial number that differs from the original serial number.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENETIDES View Post

Thanks all for the suggestions; the unit is still unplugged till 3:45 PM EST.

- I can't do the 'Hard ReSet' as No Display.

Important to know: Not sure what "display" you mean, so did you try pressing the SKIP 123 buttons (all within 3 sec). That menu comes up OVER anything else on screen, just not sure how "hard-frozen" your machine is.

Try several times since some people have trouble pressing all buttons within time limit, but they'll know it didn't take cuz they see the channel changed to ch. 3 (last button pressed), and you can't see that.

If the FW Versions screen does appear, press OK, which does a hard reset.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #12873 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did 'Soft Reset' after 2 hours 7 minutes SUCCESS!!
The Clock was NOT on Auto ... first DST option was ON..as I had set both

The results of the Timer Recordings:
# 1 Recorded to HDD in HQ as per scheduled, however there was a 'snap crackle & pop' noise and nano-second 'flashbacks' to the channel recorded only as broadcasting 'now' (does that make sense?) for the first 2 minutes.. on my previous 2160 and 513, whenever I heard, that I knew a 'Frozen' unit was coming..so with the 515 it seems that is the same (except to reset now takes > 10 minutes on the previous models.. a variable # of hours time apparently)

# 2 Recorded to DVD+RW in SP correctly.. NO Noise..and plays on another DVD player

# 3 Recorded to HDD in HQ with same first 2 minutes of 'Rice Krispies' noise and then plays back fine

Is there a pattern to be discerned? Couldn't find one on the 2160 or 513..

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions.
Wajo, especially to you, as you seem the expert on these units...I'll keep checking back to see if others are having the same problems: - frozen & 'Rice Krispie' sound effects.
Meanwhile, I've got 88 more days to see if I have a 'lemon' to be exchanged.
Thanx Folks
post #12874 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'd return the unit and ask for one without the "Snap, Crackle, Pop" guys in the innards!

Seriously...

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #12875 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Wajo Thanks... Once I was again functional I did do the Skip 123.. the FW screen came up but I didn't do the OK ..
I did have to do the Analog/DTV Channel Preset to get the Digitals back
All the 'lemon' and 'Rice Krispies' mention has made me hungry so time to eat.
Yea, I will return/exchange it... other than the 'frozen', I like the 515 capabilities.
post #12876 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Make sure you tell them at Walmart that it was "defective" which gets all your costs back, incl. any shipping.

Also, make sure you take a look at the DVD info file and try to get some of the recommendd DVDs, 8X speed. This might be esp, important if recording directly to DVD using 1-hr-HQ, where the bits are being laid down at almost 11Mbps... 2X the SP rate and pretty dense for a SD disc... lots of "stress" in the recording media, i.e., it's gotta be good!

post #12877 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

It's been my experience that Funai "refurbs" their recorders in Groveport Ohio where they are repackaged in generic brown boxes. The original retail boxes are red. The first photo shows the red retail box for my first 2160 purchased through walmart.com and the brown "refurb" boxes for one 2160A and two 2160 "refurbed" models purchased through J&R. The second photo shows the red retail box for my 515 purchased through walmart.com.

Magnavox "refurbed" models are assigned a new serial number that differs from the original serial number.

Dig...

We really gotta get you a few more machines. You just don't have enough.
post #12878 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Newbies to HDD upgrade: The 3576 does have the same FW as other PhilMag units, so we know that 250GB and 500GB HDDs can be used to their full capacity. It's just the 320GB drives that *may* be "nonstandard" and only format to 250GB.

There is some uncertainty as to whether or not a 320GB HDD is seen as "nonstandard" or not by the PhilMag FW since the two that were tried had been used or formatted previously on a computer (one with a partition that the user "removed").

IMO, until we get someone who really, really wants to use a NEW 320GB HDD in their unit, I'd say the jury is still out.

Until that time, new upgraders would be best served with a 250 or 500GB HDD.

Wajo, I have two 320GB HDD's that I had purchased to use in my 2160A Mags. Both are new and have never been used. Both are 2.5" Laptop drives which I chose to use because of power and heat considerations. I purchased these drives before it had been noted in this thread that the 320GB drives might not format to full capacity, just never got around to installing them. Info and test results follow:

Test Recorder: Mag 2160A, Manufacture Sept. 2009
Model: E2S00UD
DTV-S: 0x29
FE: R60_001_000
BE: HD6A269704H1E
TT: T5011RDU@4

Test HDD's: Western Digital-WD3200BEVT 320GB
Seagate - ST9320423AS 320GB

Both HDD's Formatted without issue using the Skip 079 procedure, usage capacities for both were the same:

Rec Mode

1 hr-HQ = 49h 26m
2 hr-SP = 98h 53m
2.5 hr-SPP =123h 37m
3 hr LP = 148h 20m
4 hr EP = 197h 47m
6-hr-SLP =296h 41m

These record times are different than those shown in your Chart, but as you can see they would equate to the 250GB drive. I believe this difference is due to the actual capacity of the drives being only 298.1 GB and not the 320GB indicated by WD and Seagate.

In conclusion, I would agree that the 320GB HDD are indeed "nonstandard" and should not be used because of the loss of capacity when formatted by the Mag. Anyone considering upgrading should choose the 500GB HDD. Also when I purchased these HDD's back in late 2009 or early 2010, price difference between the 320 and 500GB Drive was greater than today. For a SATA drive on Newegg, only $5 between them now. Hope this helps....

This thread is an outstanding source of information for anyone that owns or is considering purchasing one of these recorders. Thanks for all your good work and all those who contribute, keep up the good work .......
post #12879 of 26077 Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Timeline,

Thanks for the very informative post. I've changed the HDD capacity charts to ref. your post and stated that 320GB drives will "most likely" not format to their full "expected" capacity... EXCEPT IN THE 513 WHERE 320 IS THE OEM DRIVE'S CAPACITY.

Like you, I really don't think anyone today would select a 320 over a 500 unless they had one in hand with no other use for it.

post #12880 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw515 View Post

I agree that 300GB or 320GB drives can be considered non-standard as I just tested this with my externalized 3575. I just dropped an old 300GB SATA drive (that HAD been re-formatted in a PC prior to being used in my HDD BlacX eSATA dock) and it showed 105 hours of SP mode. 105 hours is the same as what would be expected in a 250GB drive.

My Firmware versions match what has been designated as a Philips "Later 3575 FW - 6/18/07". Sorry, but I don't have a NEW 300GB or 320GB SATA drive to test out that portion of the issue.

dfw515

wajo --- I tried formatting the 300GB (that I had lying around) in both the externalized 515 and externalized 3575, and like TimeLine62 who used a 320GB, it only formatted the equivalent of 250GB.

FYI...dfw515

post #12881 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENETIDES View Post

Did 'Soft Reset' after 2 hours 7 minutes SUCCESS!!
The Clock was NOT on Auto ... first DST option was ON..as I had set both

The results of the Timer Recordings:
# 1 Recorded to HDD in HQ as per scheduled, however there was a 'snap crackle & pop' noise and nano-second 'flashbacks' to the channel recorded only as broadcasting 'now' (does that make sense?) for the first 2 minutes.. on my previous 2160 and 513, whenever I heard, that I knew a 'Frozen' unit was coming..so with the 515 it seems that is the same (except to reset now takes > 10 minutes on the previous models.. a variable # of hours time apparently)

# 2 Recorded to DVD+RW in SP correctly.. NO Noise..and plays on another DVD player

# 3 Recorded to HDD in HQ with same first 2 minutes of 'Rice Krispies' noise and then plays back fine

Is there a pattern to be discerned? Couldn't find one on the 2160 or 513..

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions.
Wajo, especially to you, as you seem the expert on these units...I'll keep checking back to see if others are having the same problems: - frozen & 'Rice Krispie' sound effects.
Meanwhile, I've got 88 more days to see if I have a 'lemon' to be exchanged.
Thanx Folks

When I had my 515 freeze up on me (just a normal HDD recording), I ended up unplugging it for the night. It was ok the next morning. I don't know if there was any noise in the audio, as the recording wasn't for me. I haven't had a problem with the unit since then.
post #12882 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

wajo --- I tried formatting the 300GB (that I had lying around) in both the externalized 515 and externalized 3575, and like TimeLine62 who used a 320GB, it only formatted the equivalent of 250GB.

FYI...dfw515

Thanks, I've added your post to my link in the help files that have the hDD capacity chart.

post #12883 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

OMG, macdonna got 60 hours of power backup on his 515 recently!!! :EEK:

Yea, I thought the upgrade to much longer power backup was a great addition... except for a frozen machine.

There's another reset for a machine that is frozen ON that you could try and see if it does anything: with machine ON, press and hold the STOP button on front panel while pressing the power (Standby/On) button. AFAIK, that just turns a frozen machine OFF but doesn't reset anything???

Any pictures of the inside of a 515H yet? I'm curious if there is a battery helping out the clock. My Toshiba DVDR RX-50 has kept accurate time & date for months without being plugged into any power. I don't know why.
post #12884 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Any pictures of the inside of a 515H yet? I'm curious if there is a battery helping out the clock. My Toshiba DVDR RX-50 has kept accurate time & date for months without being plugged into any power. I don't know why.

Sounds like it uses similar power backup tech. as my relatively cheap digital, plug-in timers that I use to operate my outside lights. They retain my timer settings for up to 6 months unplugged!

post #12885 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

As soon as I resolve this issue, I plan on externalizing my 515 (without using the nibbler) and doing a little bit of testing. TEST #1 - check to see if an external drive used in a 3575 can be easily swapped into an externalized 515 (and vice versa). TEST #2 - Try using a brand new 2TB SATA drive (never used in a PC etc) to see if the 515 will utilize more than 500GB. I can't find anyone who has tried a drive larger than 500GB in a 515. TEST #3 - Try dropping a 1TB drive (that HAS been used in a PC and formatted in a PC) to see if it recognizes more than 500GB.

I HOPE that Test #1 is successful, but I do not expect Test #2 and Test #3 to recognize more than 500GB. If anyone wants me to do any other tests, just let me know.

dfw515

I've been doing some testing as well. I have been using a 2160A with the 160G, 80G and 40G. I did use the same dock you have. The only problem I had so far is if the cable isn't in straight, the cables are so stiff and eSATA don't lock very well. Anyway, if it's straight it works fine for me. My experiments have been a bit time starved but I have a thread I started for it. I did look at the "Directory" structure as far as I could decipher from a single drive. I formatted three blank drives and have yet to look at them.

If you want to look at my thread there is some important info. My hope was to be able to move a file system to a larger drive. Maybe latter try formatting a drive over 500G. Last would be reading files off the disk. The file reading will be the hardest one.

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513
post #12886 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:

.....I plan on externalizing my 515 (without using the nibbler) and doing a little bit of testing. TEST #1 - check to see if an external drive used in a 3575 can be easily swapped into an externalized 515 (and vice versa). TEST #2 - Try using a brand new 2TB SATA drive (never used in a PC etc) to see if the 515 will utilize more than 500GB. I can't find anyone who has tried a drive larger than 500GB in a 515. TEST #3 - Try dropping a 1TB drive (that HAS been used in a PC and formatted in a PC) to see if it recognizes more than 500GB.

I HOPE that Test #1 is successful, but I do not expect Test #2 and Test #3 to recognize more than 500GB. If anyone wants me to do any other tests, just let me know.

dfw515

Test #1 RESULT -- Surprise!! I recorded a couple of titles onto a hard drive in the externalized Philips 3575, and moved the drive to the externalized Magnavox 515. The 515 behaved as they I had just put in a "new hard drive". 0 hours. The 515 was unable to read the titles recorded on the 3575. I used SKIP 079 and reformatted the drive in the 515 (just to be sure it was recognizing the hard drive). Normal format - 205 hours (SP2 mode). So I recorded a few titles on the 515, and moved the drive back to the 3575. Same lousy results. Tried both a Western Digital 3.5" (WD5000AVVS) and a Hitachi 2.5" (HTS545050B9A300) in these tests.

CONCLUSION TO TEST #1 --- A hard drive with recorded titles on a 3575 **CANNOT** be moved to a 515 (external or internal hard drive) and used by the 515 to watch/edit/burn titles. The reverse is also true (515 recorded hard drive to a 3575 for watch/edit/burn). I do not have a 3576, 2160A or 513, so I can't comment on the "portability of HDDs between" a 515 and a 513, 2160A, or 3576 (or between 3575 and 3576). Oh well, at least we now know that these two models (515 and 3575) cannot swap active (with recorded titles) hard drives.

WAJO -- could you update the statement regarding "The one thing not PROVED yet is the portability of HDDs" on the following page (just above SKIP 013)?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...stcount=39#079

Test # 2 RESULT -- As expected, the 515 only recognized the fresh 2TB hard drive (Seagate 3.5" ST320005N4A1AS-RK) as the equivalent of 500GB drive (205 hours of SP2 mode).

Test # 3 RESULT -- As expected, the 515 only recognized the 1TB (previously used in a PC) hard drive (Hitachi 3.5" HDE721010SLA330) as the equivalent of a 500GB hard drive (205 hours of SP2 mode).

I couldn't find any posts showing that someone had already tried to upgrade the Magnavox 515 with a 1TB or 2TB drive, so I figured that I would give it a shot.

Oh well, another learning experience. With all of the great information I have already used from this forum, I am just happy that I can share my results (even if they are not the results I was hoping for) with everyone here.

dfw515

post #12887 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

WAJO -- could you update the statement regarding "The one thing not PROVED yet is the portability of HDDs" on the following page (just above SKIP 013)?

Not quite yet.

Did you set Recording > Make Recording Compatible (MRC) to ON in both units, then record a short 10-sec of any channel to the newly attached HDD?

I forgot about this cuz it applies for sure with DVDs, where it makes the new machine the "owner" of the discs (it replaces the title list with the new machine's format). Even tho the manual shows that feature applicable to DVDs, and all my tests were on DVDs, we never anticipated that we'd be swapping HDDs between one +VR brand to a diff. one (Philips>Mag>Philips). It requires a short recording to make the switch "take effect."

See if that makes the prev. recorded titles from other machine addressable, like it does with DVDs.

I advise everyone to leave MRC ON in their units so they can use discs from any other +VR machine, like newer Toshibas and some others.

post #12888 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Not quite yet.

Did you set Recording > Make Recording Compatible (MRC) to ON in both units, then record a short 10-sec of any channel to the newly attached HDD?

I forgot about this cuz it applies for sure with DVDs, where it makes the new machine the "owner" of the discs (it replaces the title list with the new machine's format). Even tho the manual shows that feature applicable to DVDs, and all my tests were on DVDs, they never anticipated that we'd be swapping HDDs between one +VR brand to a diff. one (Philips>Mag>Philips). It requires a short recording to make the switch "take effect."

See if that makes the prev. recorded titles from other machine addressable, like it does with DVDs.

I advise everyone to leave MRC ON in their units so they can use discs from any other +VR machine, like newer Toshibas and some others.

wajo, You bring up a good point. However, I am 95% certain that I had the MRC switch set to "On" for both the 3575 and 515. However, since I initialized (formatted) two different hard drives on each machine, there is a small chance that the MRC switch reverted back to the default "Off" setting. I know that after a Firmware upgrade is done, that the MRC switch reverts back to "Off". I am currently recording on both machines, so I'll have to double check later tonight.

As far as recording a short 10 second program, I am pretty sure that I didn't have that option. Since it showed zero SP2 hours available (after I swapped an active hard drive from one model to the other), I believe that I would (or maybe I did receive) a "Cannot record to this disc" (disc meaning hard drive) type message. Later tonight, I will check the MRC on both models and attempt to record a short program even though it says "0 hours available".

dfw515

post #12889 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Great. People who upgrade often comment that the HDD was not shown, or "active" or "no menu" until they just press REC with HDD side selected.

If that doesn't do anything, you could also try a SKIP 079 Self-Check to see if that helps "ID" the drive as a friend of the +VR family. However, even that might require a firendly REC first!?

post #12890 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGeek View Post

I've been doing some testing as well. I have been using a 2160A with the 160G, 80G and 40G. I did use the same dock you have. The only problem I had so far is if the cable isn't in straight, the cables are so stiff and eSATA don't lock very well. Anyway, if it's straight it works fine for me. My experiments have been a bit time starved but I have a thread I started for it. I did look at the "Directory" structure as far as I could decipher from a single drive. I formatted three blank drives and have yet to look at them.

If you want to look at my thread there is some important info. My hope was to be able to move a file system to a larger drive. Maybe latter try formatting a drive over 500G. Last would be reading files off the disk. The file reading will be the hardest one.

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513

PeterTheGeek,
I had already read your posts (several months ago) regarding File Directory Structure and moving a File System to a larger drive. I wish you all the luck in the world, but that is a little over my head.
I moved to a hard drive dock (externalized) system so that I could get more recording space immediately. I figured that I could clone (using Ghost 11 or 15) the original 160GB PATA to a larger spare SATA drive, drop a fresh 500GB drive in for daily use, and watch/edit/burn my old titles (originally on the 160GB, now on a SATA drive) by just swapping out drives in the dock, at my leisure. I have already tried twice to clone the 160GB with Ghost, but was unable to select the 160GB. I could see the 160GB using Ghost, but it was grayed out and could not be selected as a Source. That is my next project.
dfw515

post #12891 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Great. People who upgrade often comment that the HDD was not shown, or "active" or "no menu" until they just press REC with HDD side selected.

If that doesn't do anything, you could also try a SKIP 079 Self-Check to see if that helps "ID" the drive as a friend of the +VR family. However, even that might require a firendly REC first!?

I will definitely try your suggestions later tonight. I'm not certain I tried hitting record, even though it said Zero hours. I've initialized a drive about 10 times in the past 2 days, so I'm a little fuzzy. I shall post on this subject later tonight.
dfw515

post #12892 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I do not have a 3576, 2160A or 513, so I can't comment on the "portability of HDDs between" a 515 and a 513, 2160A, or 3576 (or between 3575 and 3576).

Auskck did prove the portability between his 3575 and 3576 (in the bedroom), so we know those work. He also had a Mag 2080 or 2160 (he typed "2180") but didn't mention if he included it in his swap tests. He "claimed" it would swap as well but didn't mention any specific tests... he said this: "Swap drives between your machines (Maggie/Philips). 2.5” or 3.5” drives doesn’t make a difference."

post #12893 of 26077 Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wish I had the guts/knowledge/time to set up one of those external enclosures. It'd be nice to have access to all five drives on one machine. (Two Philips, three Maggies.)

As a side point, does anyone here know off the top of their head what the model number is of the Mag. machine that's pretty much like the 2160, but without the hard drive (DVD only)?
post #12894 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I could see the 160GB using Ghost, but it was grayed out and could not be selected as a Source. That is my next project.

There isn't any normal partition table on these drives and apparently Ghost won't access it. Most people use a Linux utility call DD that just does a block copy of all sectors of the smaller drive. The utility I use for poking around on the drive as a sector editor could be used as well, iBored, but I'm not sure if you would have to copy it to a file and then back out to the bigger drive.

If you could get sector one from the same drive formatted on both units and post them to the other thread I'll take a look at them. Maybe they revised the version number or something like that. I say sector one like a computer person that starts counting at zero so the second sector.

It might be as easy as changing a serial number or something like that in that sector. I'm willing to guess that there is a ID number unique to that unit and only drive formatted by that unit will be readable.

Lets move this to the other thread.

PeterTheGeek
post #12895 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGeek View Post

It might be as easy as changing a serial number or something like that in that sector. I'm willing to guess that there is a ID number unique to that unit and only drive formatted by that unit will be readable.

Nope, Auskck was swapping drives between his 3575 and 3576, dock-and-play or record to five diff. drives.

post #12896 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacdona View Post

One feature of the new 515 is a one hour power backup for the clock.

I had my 515 unplugged for approximately 60 hours over the weekend and when I plugged it in this morning the clock setting was still correct. Didn't loose any other settings either. I don't believe I had it programmed to record anything so I cannot speak to whether or not it would retain its timer programs for that period of time. YMMV

Quote:

Gotta know, might be important... did you have Auto Clock ON or set for a MANUAL channel, or was Auto Clock OFF (the normal default setting)?

Since default is OFF, I'm hoping you'll remember if you set Auto Clock ON or used The 11:57 Procedure to set a Manual channel at any time. Those normally EXTEND the length of power backup time for previous units.

wajo,

This is an easy one to remember - Auto Clock set for a MANUAL channel per the procedure outlined on page 33 of the 515 manual under the title "Digital Auto Clock Setting".
post #12897 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

wajo,

This is an easy one to remember - Auto Clock set for a MANUAL channel per the procedure outlined on page 33 of the 515 manual under the title "Digital Auto Clock Setting".

Thanks.

Genetides recently did some tests that included unplugging to lose settings. His "nearly 2 hours" didn't do it, but his 2:07:00 did lose settings, both with Auto Clock OFF. Some or all of the "extra" power backup time you saw might be due to that setting, like it does for the other machines, except it's "on steroids" with the 515?

post #12898 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:

One feature of the new 515 is a one hour power backup for the clock.

I had my 515 unplugged for approximately 60 hours over the weekend and when I plugged it in this morning the clock setting was still correct. Didn't loose any other settings either. I don't believe I had it programmed to record anything so I cannot speak to whether or not it would retain its timer programs for that period of time. YMMV

Quote:

As long as it retains the clock, timer rec programs should also be retained.

Thanks for your post... I've already got it referenced in many help files!

Wajo,

Your reply to my original email noted that the timer programs whould be retained along with the clock setting. I haven't made any "scientific" tests but it seems to me that the timer programs are not retained for anything near the length of time the clock settings are retained. I am inclined to say that the timer programs are retained for the 1 hour period advertised but the clock settings linger for a lot longer. YMMV.
post #12899 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM

@gastrof,

Not sure if this is the model you wanted. I have a Mag DVD Recorder only. It's model number is ZC352MW8 Manufactured Date Feb. 2007. It has a hybrid tuner and tunes in analog, digital and QAM just like my 2160A.

Rusty
post #12900 of 26077 Old 01-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Setup:

2002 Sony TV Wega with S video, Composite and RCA connections.
Sony SLV N55 VCR
Comcast basic cable extended using a DTA box Motorola DCT 700-has RF in, RF out
Magnavox 513 DVDR.

I am trying to set this up for my elderly aunt and I am having alot of problems understanding the channels and the remotes. Before purchasing the 513 she had Comcast channels 3-131 and then a few more up in the 200 number location. Supposedly these are digital thus the need for the DTA.

Now with the 513 I did a channel scan and get channels 5-22, 99, then another set of channels i.e. 15.1, 15.2 and so on up to around 122.1

I am trying to understand how all of this works.....the 513 remote has a button for DVD/TV and next to it a Source button. The TV remote also has an Input select button for Channel 3, VCR, and DVD.

I can set the TV to Fixed for Channel 3 or not-do not know the consequences of doing this or not. I have played around with it and didn't notice any difference.

I spent almost the entire day yesterday trying to figure this out for her....sometimes the 513 buttons on the remote don't even respond. I changed the batteries and that wasn't the problem.

Anyway, why do I now have 2 different "sets" of channels? Switching back and forth for her is not going to be easy. And, the new channels that the 513 picks up does not include all of her channels that she gets on the other signal so just watching the major/minor channels won't work for her.

If someone could explain the channels and how that works or guide me to some other resource on the internet I would be so grateful. I am ready to pull my hair out!

If I am not clear on anything here, please let me know and I will try and describe it better.

I hope this makes sense to someone out there.....
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page