Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 443 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13261 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post

It can be quirky, e.g. I can burn a disk with Windows and it will play on all 3 of my recorders, but none will allow it to be dubbed to the HDD.

Even using the D.Dubbing method described here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13262 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Even using the D.Dubbing method described here?

Yes, unless I'm missing something - maybe someone has gotten it to work? It was actually the first thing I tried after I hooked up the 515. I can't swear though that I've tried every combination of WMC/Win DVD Maker, dub commands and +/- RW's on all 3 machines (3576, 2160A, 515)...

The disk mounts pretty quickly, but the dubbing keypress is rejected, and in setup/menu dubbing is disabled. Pressing OK on the title goes directly into play mode...

I strongly suspect that it would work if I bought, say, Nero that supports finalization of burned DVD-RWs.

One other comment - in the instructions you linked, you say that a DVD+RW can be considered finalized, but that's not my experience. A DVR-dubbed +RW will not mount on my laptop's BD drive or on an external DVD-ROM drive, while a finalized -RW is fully readable on both devices. That was my only reason for buying a stack of -RWs...

As always, I appreciate your input, and hope that relating my experiences will be of some use to the community...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #13263 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 140
In the Deleting the EMPTY TITLE/SPACE on a DVD±R section, Step 1 says "Tune DVDR to any live TV channel, NOT an external input or music channel."

Why is that? I've been overwriting the "empty space" title on DVD-Rs by recording my cable box output on the recorder's L1 input. I haven't had any trouble doing it that way.
post #13264 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
In the Deleting the EMPTY TITLE/SPACE on a DVD±R section, Step 1 says "Tune DVDR to any live TV channel, NOT an external input or music channel."

Why is that? I've been overwriting the "empty space" title on DVD-Rs by recording my cable box output on the recorder's L1 input. I haven't had any trouble doing it that way.
That's meant to keep people from overwriting with a "dead" source, which can take "forever."

Not that you mention using a "live" video input that uses bits up rapidly, I'll clarify that. Thanks!
post #13265 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, unless I'm missing something - maybe someone has gotten it to work? It was actually the first thing I tried after I hooked up the 515. I can't swear though that I've tried every combination of WMC/Win DVD Maker, dub commands and +/- RW's on all 3 machines (3576, 2160A, 515)
This is strange so gotta ask: when you insert the disc to dub back to HDD, do you do these steps in exact order:
  1. Load FINALIZED* non-copy-protected disc (takes ~20 sec). Disc can be Finalized or Unfinalized, but if Unfinalized, see next procedure if you want to dub the entire disc to HDD... D.Dubbing is a one-title-at-a-time procedure.
  2. Select DVD drive (if on HDD, steps below can't be done).
  3. Open Disc Menu (using DISC MENU button).
  4. Select a single title you want to dub to HDD.
  5. Press PLAY and make sure you see what's supposed to play.
  6. Anytime while playing, press DIRECT DUBBING button on 2080/357x remote (bottom row) or red D.DUBBING button on 2160/2160A/513/515 remote.
  7. That title will dub to the HDD in real-time and same rec mode as the original.
  8. Repeat for any other title(s) you want to copy to the HDD.
*Can be used for UNfinalized disc made in same brand machine (or Made Compatible, Option 1) but D.DUBBING is a one-title-at-a-time procedure. To copy an entire UNfinalized disc, use the Dubbing > DV>HDD menu.
post #13266 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This is strange so gotta ask: when you insert the disc to dub back to HDD, do you do these steps in exact order:
  1. Load non-copy-protected disc (takes ~20 sec). Disc can be Finalized or Unfinalized, but if Unfinalized, see next procedure if you want to dub the entire disc to HDD... D.Dubbing is a one-title-at-a-time procedure.
  6. Anytime while playing, press DIRECT DUBBING button on 2080/357x remote (bottom row) or red D.DUBBING button on 2160/2160A/513/515 remote.
  7. That title will dub to the HDD in real-time and same rec mode as the original.
I must chime in here as well. None of my discs would dub that were created and finalized on my old Philips DVDR72 recorder, which also uses the Philips +VR format. I follow the steps to the letter yet I get the red circle/slash when I press the DIRECT DUBBING button.

I think DigaDo mentioned he had/has a DVDR72 as well? DigaDo, can you confirm the result I've been getting with my DVDR72 created discs?
post #13267 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
  1. Load non-copy-protected disc (takes ~20 sec). Disc can be Finalized or Unfinalized, but if Unfinalized, see next procedure if you want to dub the entire disc to HDD... D.Dubbing is a one-title-at-a-time procedure.
Oops - I'm typing this with a paper bag over my head - that does appear to be working on the 515. I wasn't playing the disk before I hit . That's with an unfinalized DVD-RW burned with WMC.

Is there any way to stop the dubbing short of pulling the plug? I want to see what mode it's using. Fortunately it's only a 30-min title so I can wait. If it retains the 3GB footprint on the disk it won't really buy me anything - I'll still be better off recording from the attached player so I can use the mode I want for the ultimate HSD to DVD+R.

I'll update the info in this post when it's done...

CC

post #13268 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oops - I'm typing this with a paper bag over my head - that does appear to be working on the 515. I wasn't playing the disk before I hit . That's with an unfinalized DVD-RW burned with WMC.

Is there any way to stop the dubbing short of pulling the plug? I want to see what mode it's using. Fortunately it's only a 30-min title so I can wait. If it retains the 3GB footprint on the disk it won't really buy me anything - I'll still be better off recording from the attached player so I can use the mode I want for the ultimate HSD to DVD+R.

I'll update the info in this post when it's done...
D.DUBBING uses the mode of the original rec on the disc.

You should be able to Stop a dub with the remote button, or for *sure* the STOP button on front panel... each brand is diff. in this regard, IIRC.
post #13269 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post
..I think DigaDo mentioned he had/has a DVDR72 as well? DigaDo, can you confirm the result I've been getting with my DVDR72 created discs?
My Philips HDD/DVD models include a 3575 (from 2007) and a 3576 (from 2008). My Magnavox HDD/DVD models include a 2080 (from 2007), three 2160 models (from 2008), a 2160A (from 2009) and a 515 (from 2010). My Magnavox standard models include a MWR10D6 (from 2006), two ZV450MW8 models (from 2007) and a ZV450MW8A (from 2008). My Toshiba standard models include a D-RW2 (from 2006) and a D-R410 (from 2008). I also have a PYE PY90DG (from 2006). I gave away a Sylvania ZV450SL8 (from 2007). There might be one or two other Funai manufactured recorders around here somewhere.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #13270 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
D.DUBBING uses the mode of the original rec on the disc.

You should be able to Stop a dub with the remote button, or for *sure* the STOP button on front panel... each brand is diff. in this regard, IIRC.
Ah - I couldn't stop it with the remote but the front panel stop button worked. It shows EP mode, and if I add it to a list for dubbing it shows 484MB, that sounds about right for 28 minutes of EP.

I think I burned that one with "fair" quality in WMC - I'll have to experiment to see how the WMC burn modes correspond to the DVR's modes...

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being too dense to follow your instructions correctly! It looks like this has the potential to make things a bit easier for me.

Oh - do you know if the little pie chart on the dubbing list screen is supposed to show the disk capacity needed? On my 515 it shows about a 1/3 wedge no matter how much I add to the list...

CC

post #13271 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh - do you know if the little pie chart on the dubbing list screen is supposed to show the disk capacity needed? On my 515 it shows about a 1/3 wedge no matter how much I add to the list...
That's remaining capacity of the disc.
post #13272 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, DigaDo, I must have been thinking of someone else...
post #13273 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Sorry, DigaDo, I must have been thinking of someone else...

I have a DVDR75. I'll confirm it sometime today. Did you say that you had 2 titles on a DVD+RW?
post #13274 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM

There seems to be a few issues regarding connections that reappear in this thread. It got me thinking--do I have the best connections? My equipment is labeled as shown on the pics. Is there a better solution? All suggestions welcome.
LL
post #13275 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by excolprof View Post

There seems to be a few issues regarding connections that reappear in this thread. It got me thinking--do I have the best connections? My equipment is labeled as shown on the pics. Is there a better solution? All suggestions welcome.

You might get better antenna reception if you run the antenna coax directly into the 515 "antenna in", then split the coax from the 515 "antenna out" to the sat receiver and TV. The 515 has an amplified output that might help with the signal loss caused by the splitter.
post #13276 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excolprof View Post

Sorry in advance for the hijack...

Your diagram just made me think of something. I have my Dish DVR tuner in a separate room from my 3576 connected by coax running through the walls, so no opportunity to use L1 or L2 inputs with the Dish. I would also like to be able to connect an indoor OTA antenna to get the local HD OTA channels. Could I use a splitter as a combiner for the coax from the DVR and the coax from the antenna? The Dish DVR outputs to analog channel 73 on the coax.
post #13277 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:

That's remaining capacity of the disc.

My mistake - I checked on the 3576 and when I step through the dubbing modes the MB number changes but the pie chart is static, so I guess it's not supposed to be a representation of the disk usage...

CC

post #13278 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I must chime in here as well. None of my discs would dub that were created and finalized on my old Philips DVDR72 recorder, which also uses the Philips +VR format. I follow the steps to the letter yet I get the red circle/slash when I press the DIRECT DUBBING button.

I think DigaDo mentioned he had/has a DVDR72 as well? DigaDo, can you confirm the result I've been getting with my DVDR72 created discs?

Using disks that were created on my Philips DVDR75 (which I believe is basically the same as yours -- difference is that the 72 is a re-badge of the 75 produced for Costco?) Anyway, I had no trouble dubbing 2 disks to the Maggie HDD.

Jim
post #13279 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Sorry in advance for the hijack...

Your diagram just made me think of something. I have my Dish DVR tuner in a separate room from my 3576 connected by coax running through the walls, so no opportunity to use L1 or L2 inputs with the Dish. I would also like to be able to connect an indoor OTA antenna to get the local HD OTA channels. Could I use a splitter as a combiner for the coax from the DVR and the coax from the antenna? The Dish DVR outputs to analog channel 73 on the coax.

What I did to allow me to have OTA and Dish at the same time was to put an old VCR on the coax from the wall, then run composite cables from the VCR to any downstream device(s), like the 3576. That would free up the coax connector on the TV for OTA...
post #13280 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

Using disks that were created on my Philips DVDR75 (which I believe is basically the same as yours -- difference is that the 72 is a re-badge of the 75 produced for Costco?) Anyway, I had no trouble dubbing 2 disks to the Maggie HDD.

Jim

Thanks, Jim...I'll do some more troubleshooting to see what my issue may be...
post #13281 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My mistake - I checked on the 3576 and when I step through the dubbing modes the MB number changes but the pie chart is static, so I guess it's not supposed to be a representation of the disk usage...

It just reads what's ALREADY on the disc, and adding titles to the dub menu has no effect on that... it shows the capacity remaining only after things are dubbed to the disc. And it's a pretty "gross" look at capacity anyway.
post #13282 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, Jim...I'll do some more troubleshooting to see what my issue may be...

WOW. After some digging around, it turns out that after I turned OFF "Make Recordings Compatible", I was able to DIRECT DUB from my finalized DVDR72 disc. I don't know if that is something that is in the guide, nor do I know if it is specific to the 3575/6 units or all Funai units.

Another strange thing: While it has been stated that the dubbing uses the recording mode of the original disc (in this case, the disc title was in 2.5 hour mode, but instead of dubbing as SPP mode, it dubbed in LP mode (3 hour). So I stopped the dub, set back to HDD mode, set the recording mode to HQ, and then went back to the disc and started another dub from the same title. I now have 2 titles on the hard drive, both from the same source title from the dvd, yet one is in LP mode, and the other is in HQ mode. ???
post #13283 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

WOW. After some digging around, it turns out that after I turned OFF "Make Recordings Compatible", I was able to DIRECT DUB from my finalized DVDR72 disc. I don't know if that is something that is in the guide, nor do I know if it is specific to the 3575/6 units or all Funai units.

Another strange thing: While it has been stated that the dubbing uses the recording mode of the original disc (in this case, the disc title was in 2.5 hour mode, but instead of dubbing as SPP mode, it dubbed in LP mode (3 hour). So I stopped the dub, set back to HDD mode, set the recording mode to HQ, and then went back to the disc and started another dub from the same title. I now have 2 titles on the hard drive, both from the same source title from the dvd, yet one is in LP mode, and the other is in HQ mode. ???

Holy shamoly, a glaring wajo error. I was thinking of HSD when I said the dub to HDD would be at same rec mode as on disc.

Now, it appears that the D.Dub needs a rec mode set for the HDD?

Edit: Yup! I just did a quick test... HDD rec mode needs to be set.
post #13284 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Holy shamoly, a glaring wajo error. I was thinking of HSD when I said the dub to HDD would be at same rec mode as on disc.

I wonder if unfinalized dubbing (using the dubbing list) would use the existing record mode?

EDIT: When using the dubbing list on unfinalized discs on the 3576, after selecting "Dubbing Start", I am offered a screen to select which REC MODE to use. All 6 record modes are available to choose from.

EDIT2: When I loaded an unfinalized disc from another recorder (DVDR72), I could not choose the dubbing list menu to dub to the HDD, whether I had "make recordings compatible" on or off. However, I could do a single DIRECT DUB of one title, but only with "make recordings compatible" OFF. The plot thickens.

Anyway, glad that part of the mystery is solved...now on the more alarming part. Why would "make recordings compatible" setting affect being able to dub a (un)finalized disc? Perhaps more testing with more models / discs is in order? I only have the 3576 model to offer in testing.
post #13285 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

It just reads what's ALREADY on the disc, and adding titles to the dub menu has no effect on that... it shows the capacity remaining only after things are dubbed to the disc. And it's a pretty "gross" look at capacity anyway.

Hmm - I just double-checked my 3576 - it shows the same 1/3 full chart whether I set up a dub to an empty disk or to an 80% full disk. One shows 4404MB, the other 792MB, but the chart is exactly the same. Original FW BTW...

CC

post #13286 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm - I just double-checked my 3576 - it shows the same 1/3 full chart whether I set up a dub to an empty disk or to an 80% full disk. One shows 4404MB, the other 792MB, but the chart is exactly the same. Original FW BTW...

The little disc icon picture won't change (it's not "dynamic"). It also does NOT represent the titles you ADD in the Dubbing menu. It just shows how much capacity is left uinrecorded on the disc you're using.

The MB# ABOVE that disc icon in the rec mode selection menu repreents the total MB of the titles you've ADDed to the Dub menu. It's for comparison to remaining disc capacity, represented by the MB# below with the disc icon.
post #13287 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The little disc icon picture won't change (it's not "dynamic"). It also does NOT represent the titles you ADD in the Dubbing menu. It just shows how much capacity is left uinrecorded on the disc you're using.

Wajo, I believe what cc is saying is that the disc icon NEVER changes, no matter how full or empty the disc is that you put in the drive to start with. It is just an icon identifying that the MB# next to it is the remaining space available. The icon itself never represents the actual amount of space available, only the number does. No matter what the number is, the icon remains the same (1/3 full looking).

Barring that, then either I don't understand what cc is saying, or I don't understand what wajo is saying.
post #13288 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Would there be any advantage to making an HDD HQ recording of a DVD recorded in LP mode?
post #13289 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Would there be any advantage to making an HDD HQ recording of a DVD recorded in LP mode?

IMO, no.
post #13290 of 25867 Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

It would be nice if the dvd upconvert circuitry is engaged when doing a dub to HDD, then there would be an advantage. But that I'm sure is just a pipe-dream.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page