Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 446 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13351 of 25902 Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread should have a tagline..."Over 1 Million Served"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13352 of 25902 Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

This thread should have a tagline..."Over 1 Million Served"

....and Funai could probably cut customer returns in half, if they placed a big yellow sticker on the front of the Maggie User's Manual, giving this thread as a primary help resource.

234 (hint, hint, hint)

post #13353 of 25902 Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

....and Funai could probably cut customer returns in half, if they placed a big yellow sticker on the front of the Maggie User's Manual, giving this thread as a primary help resource.

234 (hint, hint, hint)

!

What a good idea!!!

There are much professional who knows Funai product more than Funai staff in AVS Funai thread!!

Please let me have small pride as a manufacturer's staff.
post #13354 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

!

What a good idea!!!

There are much professional who knows Funai product more than Funai staff in AVS Funai thread!!

Please let me have small pride as a manufacturer's staff.

It is we who are proud to have a Funai staff person here.

Ohio from California. Buy warm clothes. I went from California to Pennsylvania. I would go back if I could afford it.
post #13355 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Dear all users who contacted to our call center last month,

Because of our call center system modification, the call center job capacity had dropped much between 18 Jan. and 15 Feb.
We attempted much to recover it in hurry but it took almost 1 month.
We aporogize your inconvenience.

We are now in processing next modification.
But we pay attention to avoid same failure again.

post #13356 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM

I asked 2 times here but please allow me to post it again.

Our next target to solve HDD+DVD recorder model trouble is Freezing.
Anyone who suffer this trouble, please provide me the information as much as possible.

I know many people complain unit freezing of this model.
But we have never seen it in our repair center.
Repair center staff still consentrate to find it.

If somebody has an unit that had had freeze trouble, please give me PM.

post #13357 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

I asked 2 times here but please allow me to post it again.

Our next target to solve HDD+DVD recorder model trouble is Freezing.
Anyone who suffer this trouble, please provide me the information as much as possible.

I know many people complain unit freezing of this model.
But we have never seen it in our repair center.
Repair center staff still consentrate to find it.

If somebody has an unit that had had freeze trouble, please give me PM.

I think you *might* be asking wrong crowd here.

"Lots of freezing" or "DOA" (dead on arrival) I wrote you about in PMs were *mostly* from Walmart or Amazon Reviews.

I hope you hear from someone here who might have experienced freezing or DOA since those Walmart and Amazon posters *might* not be reading this thread?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #13358 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Someone posted here about freeze ups some pages back.
post #13359 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM

234: Are you only interested in 515 model regarding the freezing condition?
post #13360 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compubooth View Post

234: Are you only interested in 515 model regarding the freezing condition?

No, No.

I want to have information especially from 'H2160MW9 A' to MDR515H.
post #13361 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

"Lots of freezing" or "DOA" (dead on arrival) I wrote you about in PMs were *mostly* from Walmart or Amazon Reviews.

I hope you hear from someone here who might have experienced freezing or DOA since those Walmart and Amazon posters *might* not be reading this thread?

Yes, as you say, there is not much post about freezing issue in this thread.
But we can find many at walmart.com and amazon.com.
Anyway, I want to make sure at first whether Freeze issue is really existing or just bad rumor from a person who does not like Funai.

Sorry for all in this thread people confuse but I do not want to join direct to these forum (because of many reason)...
post #13362 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wajo, you are really a trooper. I think my 2160A is an outstanding unit and have nothing but praise for what it does. So what's wrong?

Two things we can't fix. First is no pre-sales support. That's the result of a low cost unit sold by low cost retailers. The walmart.com demographic might be higher than the store demographic, but anybody who goes to Walmart for electronics expecting the same experience as BB or Fry's is not going to be happy.

Second is post manufacturing quality control or testing. I'm hopeful the procedures that caused the 2160A to fail to finalize a DVD or have the clock go nuts in this country have been corrected.

I read the Walmart reviews every week. Last week a person gave it one star because the manual was too big. That's what you are fighting.

At work, our 2160A "died." It is on raw power in a warehouse, only plays nasty & dirty DVDs and is usually buried under pizza boxes. My boss told me to fix it. He then said I should plug it in with the power button depressed. [comment deleted] That fixed it.

I have a lot of stuff. The newer the stuff the more unreliable it is. I don't buy cheap stuff. I like my stuff and accept problems as part of the process as long as updates happen. Funai has been above average in that area.

But I have one rule that helps. When someone makes a post or leaves a review, I check their history before responding. That can save a lot of time. I could never fill your shoes; it's why young people have children.

Off my horse.
post #13363 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Do you know how to enable timer recording from L3 (DV) input on the 515?
I want to use the 515 to autostart recordings from live video.
So far it works using the A/V cables from the DVC into L1 or L2 inputs, but not from the L3 Firewire input, although I can do it manually via remote or front panel button.
post #13364 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't have DVC or firewire, but you might want to experiment around this statement in the manual for DV dubbing from DVC:

" If no video signal is detected from the DVC during DVC to HDD or DVD dubbing, the recording will be paused and [red dot] will flash on the TV screen. The recording will resume when the unit detects the video signal again."

It seems there might be a way to Start a DV dub, Pause immediately, then start the live feed?

This is a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

|
|
|
post #13365 of 25902 Old 03-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes, dubbing is possible and one-touch recording from L3, but you cannot select L3 when programming a timed recording.
We purchased the unit for the purpose of unattended scheduled recordings.
It seems like something missing in the firmware to allow L3 input, because it works manually.
For now I will use analog input, hopefully there is a solution to use the digital mode.
Thanks.
post #13366 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dviewer View Post

Yes, dubbing is possible and one-touch recording from L3, but you cannot select L3 when programming a timed recording.
We purchased the unit for the purpose of unattended scheduled recordings.
It seems like something missing in the firmware to allow L3 input, because it works manually.
For now I will use analog input, hopefully there is a solution to use the digital mode.

Odds are low, but it just dawned on me that L3 *might* not be selectable in the timer menu if there's no DVC and firewire cable connected? That input is very "sensory" aware and reliant for its operation. It would be great if you tested this new SWAG for all to know (unless you've already tried that, of course)?

It would be advisable to follow the instructions on pg 58 of the 515 manual so the recorder is "ready" for DV input, i.e., the special "get ready" instructions reqd are completed before opening the timer rec menu. For example, if you don't pre-select the HDD drive, it might not "be ready" if there's no DVD loaded?

Edit: In fact, set the unit on L3 Source before opening the timer menu.

|
|
|
post #13367 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I just added a new paragraph to the DVD INFO help file, which used to say that TY didn't make RW discs. Here's the new info:

"NEW INFO: TY used to NOT make RW discs, but since buying the JVC line, I've found a few places to get JVC-TY RW discs, but I know nothing about their quality or durability. I suppose if TY is putting their name on them they *must* be OK? Here's some +RW discs that just show TY, not JVC name ... and here's some -RW discs. If you try some of these JVC-TY RW discs, please let us all know what you think of them?"

|
|
|
post #13368 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM

From http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18720232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post

Are you using HDMI output to your TV? I think when HDMI is being used, that blocks, or sets a copy protection signal on the video signal on the other video outputs of the COX box.

Quote:

Good idea!

Here's a note (#3) on that subject.

As a follow up, turns out the port on the TV (Sony LCD?) is a HDMI/DVI. When using that port, the TV has to be on for the video to record w/o a "copy protection" message. HOWEVER, using another HDMI port on the TV that is HDMI only, the TV can be off and the DVR will record the TCM movies fine.
post #13369 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM

I recorded a 2 hour show, and at the 1 hour and 50 mark the playback went dark. The numbers continued to increase as if program should of been there to watch but nothing was there. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me when the show was more than 1 hour in length. Any suggestions?
Other than breaking the program up into 2 different 1 hour recordings?
post #13370 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANASONICPZ85U View Post

I recorded a 2 hour show, and at the 1 hour and 50 mark the playback went dark. The numbers continued to increase as if program should of been there to watch but nothing was there. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me when the show was more than 1 hour in length. Any suggestions?

You previously got only the 1st 2-1/2 hrs of a 4-hr Super Bowl, and now lost 10 minutes of a 2-hour show. Blank time is black (indicating min. video). I believe if the tuner lost the channel, the TV would be grey or blue?

This sounds like a question only 234 might be able to answer or suggest what could be going on... I haven't got a clue.

|
|
|
post #13371 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It sounds something like what can happen when we get a "bad" spot on the hard drive. Seems to me a couple times when my playback froze, it went to a black screen.

I'd say try jumping beyond that spot by replaying the recording up to maybe a minute before the "blackout", then hitting the button that moves you ahead to the next "chapter" mark.

There might be more of the recording beyond the black spot. If so, use rewind to try and find the end of the "blackout" spot, then use the "divide and isolate" method to turn the problem area of the hard drive into its own little recording.

You then edit the title of that bad recording with something like "bad drive spot" and then just leave it on your hard drive permanently. Never delete it so the recorder doesn't try to use that part of the hard drive again.
post #13372 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

It sounds something like what can happen when we get a "bad" spot on the hard drive. Seems to me a couple times when my playback froze, it went to a black screen.

I'd say try jumping beyond that spot by replaying the recording up to maybe a minute before the "blackout", then hitting the button that moves you ahead to the next "chapter" mark.

There might be more of the recording beyond the black spot. If so, use rewind to try and find the end of the "blackout" spot, then use the "divide and isolate" method to turn the problem area of the hard drive into its own little recording.

You then edit the title of that bad recording with something like "bad drive spot" and then just leave it on your hard drive permanently. Never delete it so the recorder doesn't try to use that part of the hard drive again.

My 3576 has had a "red dot" title on the hard drive since 25 January 2010. If I remember correctly this occured when I manually stopped a timer recording. After that I attempted to delete the title but that wasn't possible. I can't play or edit the recording either. The thumbnail is black and the title screen shows a recording of 0:00:00 in duration. Once the hard drive contents are dubbed to DVDs I'll reformat the hard drive or replace it with another hard drive.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #13373 of 25902 Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

...Once the hard drive contents are dubbed to DVDs I'll reformat the hard drive or replace it with another hard drive.

And that's what we all aim for, one day, isn't it? Finally having all our drive content either dubbed to disc or erased, so we can have a whole blank hard drive again?

That'll be the day...
post #13374 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

My 3576 has had a "red dot" title on the hard drive since 25 January 2010. If I remember correctly this occured when I manually stopped a timer recording. After that I attempted to delete the title but that wasn't possible. I can't play or edit the recording either. The thumbnail is black and the title screen shows a recording of 0:00:00 in duration.

Have you tried to remove it by starting the "Delete Multiple Titles" function from another title?
post #13375 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:

I am 234 UNofficial support..

Can I confirm your trouble as below?

Model : H2160MW9

Procedure:
1) Recorderd 2 hour show.
Question) Whether it was timer recording or manuary pressed record button.

2) You did playback the recorded video.

3) When the program reached to 1 hour, all screen went black out.
Also sound was stopped.

Question) What is "50 mark"?
> and at the 1 hour and 50 mark the playback went dark.

4) But the Time counter was still moving in spite of just black screen shown.

Question) When did you meet same problem before (apploximately)?
Question) Do you still have the recorded video in your unit?
Question) I understand you met it 2 times. Have you recorded more than 2 hours and watched it without trouble?

I appreciate if you can confirm avobe-mentioned my understanding and answer against my question.

post #13376 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To help 234, could you tell him:

Recording speed
Recording to HDD or DVD
TV or DTV

[One hour 50 means 1:50 into a 2:00 recording]

Two hours is a very popular recording time. I have used it often for movies but always at HQ. Having your condition happen twice is really strange. I hope an answer can be found.
post #13377 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

My 3576 has had a "red dot" title on the hard drive since 25 January 2010. If I remember correctly this occured when I manually stopped a timer recording. After that I attempted to delete the title but that wasn't possible. I can't play or edit the recording either. The thumbnail is black and the title screen shows a recording of 0:00:00 in duration. Once the hard drive contents are dubbed to DVDs I'll reformat the hard drive or replace it with another hard drive.

Does it mean the unit is still in broken?
Please let us know the result of your solution.
post #13378 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Do you mean you have same experience before?

And also you met Freeze trouble??

Could you let me know your experiences further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

post #13379 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I've added a Quote-note to the Timer Rec help file for a situation you may run into, esp. if you're in an area where power interruptions are a common occurrence.

Quote:

If you have a timer set for a certain length of time, you might end up with two or more separate titles IF YOUR POWER GOES OUT OR SAGS JUST ENOUGH TO STOP THE TIMER REC. You can then end up with two (or more) titles wherever the power sagged if the power returns fully and the timer has time remaining. Each power outage/sag will start another title covering the remainder of an active timer's rec time.

|
|
|
post #13380 of 25902 Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Can someone who is using the 515 with a DVR Cable Box, be able to tell me if they are using the remote from their Maggie or from their DVR to utilize the unscrambled channels?

Right now I must set my Maggie on L1 and change the channels on my Maggie with my DVR Cable Box remote. I still must work on getting sound. I would just like to know if this is normal or if I may have screwed up something with my connection and I am getting the channels by coincidence?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rose
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page