Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 447 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13381 of 25917 Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrose View Post

Can someone who is using the 515 with a DVR Cable Box, be able to tell me if they are using the remote from their Maggie or from their DVR to utilize the unscrambled channels?

Right now I must set my Maggie on L1 and change the channels on my Maggie with my DVR Cable Box remote. I still must work on getting sound. I would just like to know if this is normal or if I may have screwed up something with my connection and I am getting the channels by coincidence?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rose

Use the Maggie's tuner to watch the unscrambled cable channels that are still available thru the cable, and when you need to watch a ch that's only available thru the box, turn the Mag to L1, then use the dvr's remote to find and or change to the program you want.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13382 of 25917 Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Can someone who is using the 515 with a DVR Cable Box, be able to tell me if they are using the remote from their Maggie or from their DVR to utilize the unscrambled channels?

Right now I must set my Maggie on L1 and change the channels on my Maggie with my DVR Cable Box remote. I still must work on getting sound. I would just like to know if this is normal or if I may have screwed up something with my connection and I am getting the channels by coincidence?

I believe in your other thread, you said you had the audio cables going from your Mag to the cable box... they need to go from the Mag to your TV, same input as your video cable goes to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #13383 of 25917 Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

My 3576 has had a "red dot" title on the hard drive since 25 January 2010. If I remember correctly this occured when I manually stopped a timer recording. After that I attempted to delete the title but that wasn't possible. I can't play or edit the recording either. The thumbnail is black and the title screen shows a recording of 0:00:00 in duration. Once the hard drive contents are dubbed to DVDs I'll reformat the hard drive or replace it with another hard drive.

The "red dot" title was a timer recording from the composite feed of a Comcast Motorola DCT700 SD converter box tuned to Encore Westerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Have you tried to remove it by starting the "Delete Multiple Titles" function from another title?

I set up Delete Multiple Titles with four recordings, including the "red dot" recording as the last selected recording. The other three recordings were deleted but the "red dot" recording remains on the hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

Does it mean the unit is still in broken?
Please let us know the result of your solution.

The "red dot" recording on the hard drive does not ordinarily affect other functionality of the recorder. Attached are two screen shots of title 12, the "red dot" recording. The first photo shows the title list with title 12 highlighted. The second photo shows the recorder locked-up when attempting to play title 12. The recorder also locks-up by highlighting title 12 and pressing PLAY. Escaping these lock-ups requires powering off the recorder.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #13384 of 25917 Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rose

Rose, some of this is stated in previous posts, so I apologize for the duplication.

Your 515H has a tuner that can receive unscrambled cable signals. When you installed it, you scaned for channels. The numbers are probably not the same as your cable numbers. But those are the real numbers before the cable box makes them pretty. My cable (connected to the 2160A) shows NBC HD as 84.1 and my cable box says it is 503. To record with the 515H I use the 84.1 since it looks better and I can leave the cable box off. To record it from my cable box I would use the AV1 input. That's how my cable box works and I would have to tune the cable box to the channel I was going to record first. I have done this to get recordings of HBO movies. Your cable box does more than just unscramble the signals, it also maps them to pretty numbers. This week my cable company dropped all analog channels over 21, but doesn't scramble the basic cable stuff like USA and TNT. I can still record them with the 2160A in SD.

Using the 515H has made your life a bit more complicated. I don't know what kind of cable service you have, what cable DVR you use, or your TV make & model. But I'm sure once you get the hang of the 515H you will be happy.

You haven't mentioned an AVR or why you don't run the 515H HDMI output to the TV avoiding the audio issue. I guess we will hear from you soon. Help here is always free. Read through post #1 if you haven't already. Tons of info there.
post #13385 of 25917 Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Use the Maggie's tuner to watch the unscrambled cable channels that are still available thru the cable, and when you need to watch a ch that's only available thru the box, turn the Mag to L1, then use the dvr's remote to find and or change to the program you want.

Thank you for confirming that I do need the DVR Cable Box remote for the scrambled channels!!! I never would have even considered that if I didn't fall upon it playing with the remotes. I may have very well missed that piece of information in Wajo's post...or he may have said it in a way that my "pea brain" didn't comprehend what he was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I believe in your other thread, you said you had the audio cables going from your Mag to the cable box... they need to go from the Mag to your TV, same input as your video cable goes to.

I was hoping I would hear from you, wajo! In the past when I was being advised on how to set up all my connections (to include PIP)...I was advised to add a "pass-through" (red, blue, green, red, white) cable output on the cable box, to the TV. This would allow me to tune different channels on all 3 pieces of equipment, simultaneously.

Now, I am confused....when you refer to the "video cable" are you referring to the S-Video cable or the HDMI cable? The S-Video I have going out from the cable box, into the Maggie. The HDMI cable I have going out from the Maqgie to the TV.

Yes, right now I have the R/L Audio running from the Maggie to the cable box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Rose, some of this is stated in previous posts, so I apologize for the duplication.

Your 515H has a tuner that can receive unscrambled cable signals. When you installed it, you scaned for channels. The numbers are probably not the same as your cable numbers. But those are the real numbers before the cable box makes them pretty. My cable (connected to the 2160A) shows NBC HD as 84.1 and my cable box says it is 503. To record with the 515H I use the 84.1 since it looks better and I can leave the cable box off. To record it from my cable box I would use the AV1 input. That's how my cable box works and I would have to tune the cable box to the channel I was going to record first. I have done this to get recordings of HBO movies. Your cable box does more than just unscramble the signals, it also maps them to pretty numbers. This week my cable company dropped all analog channels over 21, but doesn't scramble the basic cable stuff like USA and TNT. I can still record them with the 2160A in SD.

Using the 515H has made your life a bit more complicated. I don't know what kind of cable service you have, what cable DVR you use, or your TV make & model. But I'm sure once you get the hang of the 515H you will be happy.

You haven't mentioned an AVR or why you don't run the 515H HDMI output to the TV avoiding the audio issue. I guess we will hear from you soon. Help here is always free. Read through post #1 if you haven't already. Tons of info there.

Joe, never apologize for repeating yourself when writing to me. I need things repeated to me till they finally sink in!!! I am just appreciative that you took the time to try and help me. Thank you for offering an explanation in simple terms for me to better understand. e.g. "cable box makes them pretty"....I FINALLY got it WHY the strange numbers for 2 channels.

Quote:

This week my cable company dropped all analog channels over 21, but doesn't scramble the basic cable stuff like USA and TNT. I can still record them with the 2160A in SD.

This may be a stupid question, but, why would you want to record in SD vs. Digital? e.g. CBS is on my CH 3. Now, I can get it directly from the outside cable through the Maggie....but, when I view it through the Cable Box I have a much better picture.

It may be helpful to refer you to my most recent post where you will find more of a background that preceded this post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1318535

I don't know if this is the smart thing to do... but, I have the infamous Panasonic EZ48. I have 4 HDMI ports on the back of my TV...2 of which I now learned from this experience, do not carry sound. I am using 2 of the ports for my cable box and EZ48. I wanted to keep my EZ48 hooked up to HDMI for the DVD recorder portion. Though, I am presently using the VCR. This wonderful group here convinced me how I need to get away from the VCR and learn the Maggie. So, in trusting them, here I am joining the 21st Century!!! They haven't steered me wrong yet. It's just a matter of how far I can push their patience with my stupid questions.

I have read through wajo's meticulous post...more than once, or twice, etc. The amount of work he has done to help everyone is short of amazing!!!! Funai should be giving him free Mag's for what he has done for them!

BTW....I see you live in Mt. Carmel...I live in the Lehigh Valley.

Thanks to all of you!

Rose
post #13386 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for confirming that I do need the DVR Cable Box remote for the scrambled channels!!! I never would have even considered that if I didn't fall upon it playing with the remotes. I may have very well missed that piece of information in Wajo's post...or he may have said it in a way that my "pea brain" didn't comprehend what he was saying.

Joe, never apologize for repeating yourself when writing to me. I need things repeated to me till they finally sink in!!! I am just appreciative that you took the time to try and help me. Thank you for offering an explanation in simple terms for me to better understand. e.g. "cable box makes them pretty"....I FINALLY got it WHY the strange numbers for 2 channels.

This may be a stupid question, but, why would you want to record in SD vs. Digital? e.g. CBS is on my CH 3. Now, I can get it directly from the outside cable through the Maggie....but, when I view it through the Cable Box I have a much better picture.

It may be helpful to refer you to my most recent post where you will find more of a background that preceded this post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1318535

I don't know if this is the smart thing to do... but, I have the infamous Panasonic EZ48.

BTW....I see you live in Mt. Carmel...I live in the Lehigh Valley.

Thanks to all of you!

Rose

Well Rose, you sound like you are having fun learning this stuff. I hope so.

I have a EZ28 - not recommended. It won't record my digital cable channels since my cable feed is kind of wierd. Which cable company do you have?

Some words may not be precise, but are accepted now. Channel 3 is channel 3 is channel 3 and is still 6MHz wide no matter how many decimal points it has. It should be called "vsb" (or NTSC) but people call it analog or analogue. It has 525 lines of interlaced video, but since we only see 480, it is also called 480i. There is some content sent non-interlaced, and that would be labeled 480p. My cable music channels are sent that way and it's the default video output of my Yamaha AVR when it has no input.

Next step up is digital. There are two kinds of digital, QAM256 and 8vsb (or ATSC). Channels in this catagory will have subchannels and display with a decimal point that can be from .0 through .128 but .0 and over .99 are rare. Don't confuse what you see on the front panel display with reality. They could vary. Cable is normally QAM256 and there can be variations of that too. When I say SD, it means 480i but in a digital format. Digital SD is quite good and that's how the 2160A or your 515H stores and plays the titles on its HDD or DVD.

Higher up the food chain is HD or 1080i. At this time there is no 1080p via OTA broadcast. There is 1080p via other physical transmission methods. Blu-ray is 1080p. The 515H can "fill in the blanks" and send out a 1080p signal. It does that very well. There is a 'tween' level of content: 720p that is used by ABC and Fox. It does everything 1080i does, just statistically not as good. I have four Sony DHG DVR units that save and playback in 1080i. They are not sold anymore, and can sell used for over $500 on eBay.

My cable feed supplies channels as vsb and QAM256. I thought that only premium channels were scrambled, but since getting a STB, I see a lot of SD channels that are only available with the box.

Hope you get everything working. We're here for you. Ask away. What cable company?
post #13387 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
A J

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Will Amazon.com eventually sell the 515? It has been available for about 4 months at Walmart.com, which I assume has a deal to be the sole source for a certain amount of time.

I have a Amazon Prime account with 2-day free shipping and no sales tax (~$20 savings compared to Wal*Mart) so I am hoping Amazon will have the 515 soon. My 2 year old Phillips went belly up and off to recycling last month, so I don't want to wait too long before pulling the trigger. I'll bite the bullet and buy from Wal*Mart if they still have exclusive rights to the 515 for much longer.

AJ
post #13388 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Another source for Mag 513 and 2080, Exclusive Cell and Audio!?
In order to find out more, whether those and other Funai products are new or "refurbished by Funai," I called their 888 number today at 10:50 a.m. (PST). The recorded message advised that I had reached them "after business hours." Thinking that they might be out to lunch I called two more times, the last at 1:26 p.m. I got the same message.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #13389 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Will Amazon.com eventually sell the 515? It has been available for about 4 months at Walmart.com, which I assume has a deal to be the sole source for a certain amount of time.

I have a Amazon Prime account with 2-day free shipping and no sales tax (~$20 savings compared to Wal*Mart) so I am hoping Amazon will have the 515 soon. My 2 year old Phillips went belly up and off to recycling last month, so I don't want to wait too long before pulling the trigger. I'll bite the bullet and buy from Wal*Mart if they still have exclusive rights to the 515 for much longer.
Well, AJ, that's a great question!

I've heard that the 515 has NOT been discontinued, but there's no "evidence" yet of new shipments to Walmart or other sellers... maybe something interesting will happen in the next week?

|
|
|
post #13390 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post
In order to find out more, whether those and other Funai products are new or "refurbished by Funai," I called their 888 number today at 10:50 a.m. (PST). The recorded message advised that I had reached them "after business hours." Thinking that they might be out to lunch I called two more times, the last at 1:26 p.m. I got the same message.
Yea, "after hours" to me too. I also searched for their tel. # will all the free reverse lookip sites and no info.

I did find this site, same tel. # as Exclusive Cell and Audio, same address in TN, but with diff. name.

I sent an email to the address on the Exclusive Cell page asking if people should be "suspicious."

I'm going to delete my post for now???

|
|
|
post #13391 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Per wajo's suggestion, I have changed my audio cables to run from my Maggie to my TV. I have sound in the lower analog channels; but, the scrambled channels still have no sound. I have attached a file where I show a breakdown of how all my cables run.

On the back of my Samsung there are 4 HDMI INPUTS. They are listed as HDMI 4, HDMI 3, HDMI 2 (ARC) and HDMI 1/DVI

When I switched the Maggie's HDMI to HDMI3 in the TV... there still was no change.

Any thoughts on what I still need to change or add????

Quote:
Hope you get everything working. We're here for you. Ask away. What cable company?

Joe,

I have Service Electric Cable TV Service.
http://www.sectv.com/LV/v_lineups.html

I have all the channels up to the Ultimate Digit Package... along with HBO, Cinemax, Music and High Def.

Thanks!

Rose
post #13392 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

Will Amazon.com eventually sell the 515? It has been available for about 4 months at Walmart.com, which I assume has a deal to be the sole source for a certain amount of time. AJ

I cannot get an responsible answer but I do not think Amazon carries MDR515H eventually.

post #13393 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, AJ, that's a great question!

I've heard that the 515 has NOT been discontinued, but there's no "evidence" yet of new shipments to Walmart or other sellers... maybe something interesting will happen in the next week?

Anyone wanting a 515 should prob. do so within the next week.
I just bought one. If there is a new model out next week I will hold you responsible. I don't like 'interesting'.
post #13394 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I just bought one. If there is a new model out next week I will hold you responsible. I don't like 'interesting'.
I hope you'll be thanking me in a week or so.

Then again, if they get a new batch of 10,000 units with multiple tuners and run a 1/2-price sale, I *may* be in trouble!?

|
|
|
post #13395 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Per wajo's suggestion, I have changed my audio cables to run from my Maggie to my TV. I have sound in the lower analog channels; but, the scrambled channels still have no sound. I have attached a file where I show a breakdown of how all my cables run.

On the back of my Samsung there are 4 HDMI INPUTS. They are listed as HDMI 4, HDMI 3, HDMI 2 (ARC) and HDMI 1/DVI

When I switched the Maggie's HDMI to HDMI3 in the TV... there still was no change.

Any thoughts on what I still need to change or add????

Joe,

I have Service Electric Cable TV Service.
http://www.sectv.com/LV/v_lineups.html

I have all the channels up to the Ultimate Digit Package... along with HBO, Cinemax, Music and High Def.

Thanks!

Rose
First, I'm sure you have HDMI Audio ON box checked on the 515H.

Your cable box is controlled by the cable company. They can control/disable the analog audio output for digital or scrambled channels. I would test that by connecting the cable box RW cable out to something else like a different TV or other device with RW inputs for sound.

We have the same cable company (almost). Same corporate name, different franchise. There were three, but mine (secv.com) just bought the other guy (secable.com). I have entered Allentown's zipcode into my DHG and your lineup should have quite a few clear QAM channels that the 515H could record from, like HD KYW. It would be better if the 515H can record those directly and not from your cable box/DVR. In HQ mode you can hold 100 hours of content on the 515H. Your cable box, DCH-6416, doesn't seem to hold too much but I don't have the spec. If you can use the 515H for normal digital channels and the 6416 for premium channels (like HBO) you will be sitting pretty. Did you write down the analog and digital channel count when you did the initial scan?

I couldn't find the manual for your TV, but I expect the HDMI/DVI connector has two RW audio input jacks nearby. That would be for HDMI-DVI cable since DVI doesn't support audio on a DVI cable. There may be an option in your TV for that.

I like simple things. So I have this Radio Shack 1 - 4 splitter so nothing needs to daisy chain to anything (I have two cable feeds from outside). It's my small OCD showing. Cables: use Monoprice.com - link at top of page. Your DVD combo: how does it get audio to your TV? If RW cable, see if the same TV RW connection gets audio from the 515H or cable box.

I hope all this isn't too much. Warning: the end result will be you are the A/V expert and expect friends and relatives to call you for help.
post #13396 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hope you'll be thanking me in a week or so.

Then again, if they get a new batch of 10,000 units with multiple tuners and run a 1/2-price sale, I *may* be in trouble!?
Of course not. If it happens in two months, maybe. We both know Walmart has a great return policy.
post #13397 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

The S-Video I have going out from the cable box, into the Maggie.

Yes, right now I have the R/L Audio running from the Maggie to the cable box.

Make sure you have the R/L audio cables running from the cable box audio outputs to the Maggie audio inputs. You have one of the few cable boxes that have audio and video inputs. Do not use the audio and video inputs on the cable box.
post #13398 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 PM

HELP! I need an opinion on the Magnavox 515 or 513 compared to the DTLPal (or ChannelMaster).

(1) Does the Magnavox 515 /513 do a similarly great job upscaling the broadcasts it records as other DVD upscalers do playing back pre-recorded DVD movies (Hollywood movies that is)?

My Sony DVD player does a great job--fairly close to HD quality (about 88 - 90%).

(2) How well does the Magnavox 515 or 513 TV tuner do; does it reqiure a video amp (the DTVPal seems not so great in my geographic valley, but I haven't tried an amp yet)?

(3) Does the Magnavox 515/513 SD recording keep/playback an HD boradcasts 16:9 aspect ratio?

I'm trying to decide whether to keep a new DTVPal or go with the Magnavox 515 (the Mag is really attractive for DVD archiving so long as it upscales well and keeps the 16:9 HD format)
post #13399 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

GurZ

(1) You'll have to wait for someone who has a DTVPal DVR for a comparison of the PQ on playback of HDD recorded stuff, but I have to ass-u-me that the high def (HD) Pal would be better since its recording system is HD.

The Mags will play comm. movies great, as I describe here.

(2) The Mags already have an active/amplified video circuit (tuner and line inputs) with 4- and 2-dB amps with low-pass filter, as described here. You could also add an external amp if needed in your area... as long as the signal doesn't get too strong and it falls off the "digital cliff."

(3) The Mags will record 16:9 WS as long as you set the TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide," as explained here.

See this post for info on the new and improved 515.

|
|
|
post #13400 of 25917 Old 03-04-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Do you mean you have same experience before?

And also you met Freeze trouble??

Could you let me know your experiences further?

Several of us have had recordings "lock up" during playback from the hard drive, and never play normally. The recording is listed as full length (for example, 59:22), but the entire recording never plays. At some point it just STOPS.

Sometimes if you know the bad spot is coming, you can avoid it by skipping to the next chapter.

It has been suggested we use "title divide" to isolate the bad part of the recording, leave it on the hard drive as a separate recording, and never delete it. This seems to work, so we suspect it's a problem with the hard drive having a bad spot on it.

If we never delete that recording, the bad spot never is used again, so the freeze never shows up on any other recordings.

(It is also suspected problems can be caused by using "scene delete" AFTER using "Title Divide" For that reason some of us make sure to do scene deletes BEFORE dividing a title.)
post #13401 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 AM

I have an old tube TV which does not have a RCA connections and it only has a RF input. Plse assist on how I can connect the RF output from the 3575 to the TVs RF input.
post #13402 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhishi View Post

I have an old tube TV which does not have a RCA connections and it only has a RF input. Plse assist on how I can connect the RF output from the 3575 to the TVs RF input.

The help file on Connections has a note on connecting to an old TV with only an RF/coax connection:

If you have an old TV with ONLY an RF/coax connector (no line inputs), you can use an RF modulator to run cables thru, as shown in the manual (pg 16 or 20) and as described here. You can also use a VCR as the modulator, as described here.

|
|
|
post #13403 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The help file on Connections has a note on connecting to an old TV with only an RF/coax connection:

If you have an old TV with ONLY an RF/coax connector (no line inputs), you can use an RF modulator to run cables thru, as shown in the manual (pg 16 or 20) and as described here. You can also use a VCR as the modulator, as described here.

I have used an RF modulator from Steren. It has RWY and S-Video inputs. $16 on eBay. Output on ch 3 or ch 4. Worked better than I expected for that price.
post #13404 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhishi View Post

RF to RF is simple.

You use an ordinary piece of coaxial cable and connnect the RF output of the recorder to the RF input of the TV.

The problem is, that will only give the TV whatever antenna/cable feed the recorder is getting.

To see what the recorder itself is doing, you'd have to use the modulator setup already mentioned. You'd feed the audio/video output of the recorder into the modulator, and hook THAT into the TV's RF input.

This will more or less make the recorder your TV tuner, since the TV is now getting no antenna or cable feed. Everything's coming thru the recorder.

An A/B switch would make it possible to alternate between an antenna/cable feed, and the recorder.
post #13405 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:

GurZ

(1) You'll have to wait for someone who has a DTVPal DVR for a comparison of the PQ on playback of HDD recorded stuff, but I have to ass-u-me that the high def (HD) Pal would be better since its recording system is HD.

The Mags will play comm. movies great, as I describe here.

(2) The Mags already have an active/amplified video circuit (tuner and line inputs) with 4- and 2-dB amps with low-pass filter, as described here. You could also add an external amp if needed in your area... as long as the signal doesn't get too strong and it falls off the "digital cliff."

(3) The Mags will record 16:9 WS as long as you set the TV Aspect to "16:9 Wide," as explained here.

See this post for info on the new and improved 515.

WAJO, thanks much for the information! It was very helpful!
post #13406 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I am 234 UNofficial support..

Can I confirm your trouble as below?

Model : H2160MW9yes

Procedure:
1) Recorderd 2 hour show.
Question) Whether it was timer recording or manually pressed record button.
timer recording
2) You did playback the recorded video.
yes, and "arrowed thru" the last 10 minutes, no sound no picture
3) When the program reached to 1:50 hour, all screen went black out.
Also sound was stopped.

Question) What is "50 mark"?
> and at the 1 hour and 50 mark the playback went dark.
yes went black no sound at the 1:50 mark thru 1:59
4) But the Time counter was still moving in spite of just black screen shown.

Question) When did you meet same problem before (apploximately)?
Superbowl sunday and again on 3/1/2011
Question) Do you still have the recorded video in your unit?
deleted both. But at first the superbowl was left alone, until after viewing both videos, then deleted both
Question) I understand you met it 2 times. Have you recorded more than 2 hours and watched it without trouble?
NO. This 2nd attempt is the first video recorded over 1 hour in length since the superbowl

I appreciate if you can confirm avobe-mentioned my understanding and answer against my question.

Quote:
To help 234, could you tell him:

Recording speedHD? ( or HQ?) speed.
Recording to HDD or DVDrecorded to HDD
TV or DTVDTV, both Fox network

[One hour 50 means 1:50 into a 2:00 recording]

Two hours is a very popular recording time. I have used it often for movies but always at HQ. Having your condition happen twice is really strange. I hope an answer can be found.
We have since deleted all titles except the one transferred from a VHS player of a home movie. Also this VHS recording has never been edited yet at all.
So we've never ever used our machine to edit anything so far.
We tested a 2 hour timer program recording on 3/3/11 and viewed it 3/4 and skipped thru the whole recording with no problems.
post #13407 of 25917 Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 PM

wajo,

Thanks for all of your work documenting the functions and operation of this series. After buying a Toshiba DVDR620 last year, I came across this forum and have purchased a 515based on the knowledge base here, which has been invaluable for deciphering the nuances of the DVR. (Such as you can't high speed dub a program recorded in HQ that is longer than an hour because it will only burn HQ in HQ? Wish list item - selectable speed for all high speed dubs.)

I have a question: the S-video output of the 515 for OTA channels seems significantly darker than the Toshiba, which is obviously a Funai machine since the menus are (almost) identical. Is there a hidden setting that isn't documented in the manual? I have a Panasonic plasma and the picture settings aren't adjustable separately for each input.

Also, an update for Motorola STB WS output: I recently got the new FIOS 7232 HD DVR (500 GB with soon to be available external add-on of 1 TB!) and it will sporatically send 16:9 WS rather than LB through the S-video output for many HD programs. But I have to start/stop/resume recorded and VOD programs (sometimes several times and sometimes it never works) before it will output WS to either the 620 (for archiving) and the 515 HDD for watching later. Today, I had a recorded episode from a series that I've been trying to get to set WS since December without success that started in WS !? So this one has the capability. I don't do PPV so I don't know if that works.

Thanks again.
post #13408 of 25917 Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Iden View Post

I have a question: the S-video output of the 515 for OTA channels seems significantly darker than the Toshiba, which is obviously a Funai machine since the menus are (almost) identical. Is there a hidden setting that isn't documented in the manual? I have a Panasonic plasma and the picture settings aren't adjustable separately for each input.

AFAIK, there's no setting for S-Video output to control darkness.

First, I'd check the 515's S-Video cable ends for a bent pin, then switch the S-Video cable on the Toshiba to the 515.

Next, if you can, switch to HDMI where there are settings that can make the pic sharper and/or lighter, as described here.

Switching to Component RGB might also make a big diff.?

You might also read this help file on the dark-pic problem noticed primarily in the Philips 3575... there might be some info there that applies?

|
|
|
post #13409 of 25917 Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've always had the dark picture problem with my 3576 connected via hdmi. I tried everything ever mentioned in this forum. One day I accidentally changed the output resolution to 1080p. Night and day difference, normal looking picture now!
post #13410 of 25917 Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post

I've always had the dark picture problem with my 3576 connected via hdmi. I tried everything ever mentioned in this forum. One day I accidentally changed the output resolution to 1080p. Night and day difference, normal looking picture now!

Interesting. What type and size is your TV?

|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page