Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 483 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14461 of 25920 Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Could you press "Tray Open/Close" button on front panel as a trial to escape from the problem?
I want to have the result report.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14462 of 25920 Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Digado,

I found I have the Sata HDD and I did try to record, however, got the message, "Cannot record on this HDD" E48".
post #14463 of 25920 Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 AM

Stapler1234,

Yes, I could hear the power come on and feel the vibration of the HDD. I have the 2160A and have bought a replacement, however, have not replaced the HDD yet.

I am frustrated with trying to figure out how to get the shows off the original HDD.

Thanks.
post #14464 of 25920 Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post

Stapler1234,

Yes, I could hear the power come on and feel the vibration of the HDD. I have the 2160A and have bought a replacement, however, have not replaced the HDD yet.

I am frustrated with trying to figure out how to get the shows off the original HDD.

Thanks.

You can try "cloning" the drive byte by byte. This avoids any damaged sectors, since it will not "copy" the corrupted bytes. If it does a successful clone, then your new drive should have the recordings. If the cloning software does not recognize the drive, then that means the platters are not readable. Somtimes it is a corrupted file system from damaged sectors, that will cause the error, and cloning avoids these errors while the firmware of the 2160A is unable to.
post #14465 of 25920 Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Been watching the forums for awhile but never posted. Have to say that the list of threads have helped quite a bit. Even these later posts are of great assistance so I thought I'd give a great big thank you. Have had many problems with used camcorders solved through browsing the forums.
post #14466 of 25920 Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post

Stapler1234,

Thanks.

As I see it, you have two problems. (1) Get the 2160A back in service and (2) try and retrieve the programs recorded on the original HDD. The question is, which one do you want to tackle first?

The 2160A HDD replacement should be a relatively easy chore, provided you follow the posted instructions/suggestions in "Getting Started with HDD Replacement or Upgrade" at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ount=39#HDDrep.

Attempting the retrevial of your recordings on the old HDD may turn out to be a long involved project, requiring specialized software, considerable computer skills and a lot of patience, all of which may or may not result in a successful recovery. Hopefully members like timtofly can assist you in that recovery project.

As a start, you may want to do a search of this thread, for if memory serves me, some months ago a number of members posted suggestions & proceedurers on recovering/transferring programs from one HDD to another.

Meanwhile, check the thread by PeterTheGeek "Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513", listed at the bottom of this page under 'Similar Threads'. The technical data shown may be useful should you attempt a recovery project.

Note: The error code E48 you reported indicates the 2160A doesn't see a HDD. There could be many reasons for that, such as a loose connection or the failure of another system component, not just a defective HDD. (Error codes listed here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...10&postcount=5)

post #14467 of 25920 Old 06-09-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovisualaid View Post

Been watching the forums for awhile but never posted. Have to say that the list of threads have helped quite a bit. Even these later posts are of great assistance so I thought I'd give a great big thank you. Have had many problems with used camcorders solved through browsing the forums.

Uh....

Okay.

This is the thread for the Philips 3577-Magnavox 515 and their variants. Do you have one of these machines?
post #14468 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Uh....
Okay.
This is the thread for the Philips 3577-Magnavox 515 and their variants. Do you have one of these machines?

O! gastrof

Did you see my PM?
post #14469 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 AM

Hi
I have two Magnavox DVD Recorders, one is the 320 GB MD513H and the other is the older MD2160 with 160GB.
Is it possible to replace the HDDs with larger capacity ones ?
Are they 3.5" or 2.5" HDDs ?
Thank you!
Mario
post #14470 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.guedes View Post

Hi
I have two Magnavox DVD Recorders, one is the 320 GB MD513H and the other is the older MD2160 with 160GB.
Is it possible to replace the HDDs with larger capacity ones ?
Are they 3.5" or 2.5" HDDs ?
Thank you!
Mario

This is addressed in great detail here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=39

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #14471 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Where's wajo lately?
post #14472 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Right here... there... and everywhere!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #14473 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

post #14474 of 25920 Old 06-10-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

After responding to the comments & questions on walmart.com you deserve a medal or a raise or something. Some of the comments are amazing.
post #14475 of 25920 Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

CP-Filters/Widescreen Converters & the "Analog Sunset"

The "Analog Sunset" (aka "Analog Hole")

Here's a good explanation of the often-misunderstood "analog sunset."

It's a licensing agreement between content owners and CE mfgrs that applies to a narrow equipment category (BD) and NOT other equipment. As stated on pg 2 of the pdf doc:

"... analog sunset is also a narrowly defined, regulatory term whereby the performance and behavior of specific types of A/V equipment, namely Bluray Disc (BD) players and recorders, are restricted in a legally binding manner, and this term is not applicable to other equipment."

The Sunset regulation DOES NOT APPLY TO CABLE/SAT STBs (receivers and DVRs), per specific PROHIBITION in the reg, with one exception as noted below:

"The analog outputs of cable or satellite TV set-top boxes, including receivers or DVRs, are sometimes improperly associated with the analog sunset. In the United States, the FCC has a regulation, 47 CFR 76.1903, that explicitly prohibits the disabling of analog outputs on cable and satellite set-top boxes.... " One exception granted: analog outputs can only be disabled for "newly created VOD, or video-on-demand services wherein first-run movies are made available before release on disc."

CP-Filtering Converters & WS Preservers (Click item name for more detailed info.)

HDMI>Composite/S-Video Converter.
For defeating copy protection (CP) from DVD players, DVDRs and STB/DVRs and concurrently preserving widescreen aspect from Motorola STB/DVRs and others, as described here. Source must have HDMI output. Should also future-proof you for the "analog sunset" on BD players/recorders (explained in the section above). Unfortunately, lots of counterfeiters out there, so picking a reasonably priced good one can be problematic.

Component>Composite/S-Video Converter.
For defeating CP from DVD players, DVDRs and STB/DVRs, and concurrently preserving widescreen aspect from Motorola STB/DVRs and others, as described here. Source must have Component RGB output. Should also future-proof you for the "analog sunset" on BD players/recorders (explained in the section above). Unfortunately, lots of counterfeiters out there, so picking a reasonably priced good one can be problematic.

MCM Video Stabilizer for VHS/DVD Players and Other Sources.
For defeating CP from all VHS tapes, most DVDs, and other sources delivered over composite Yellow RCA... or *all* DVDs (?) with internal pot adjustment, based on Tomwil's experience described below. Source must have Composite Yellow RCA output. Can't preserve WS aspect from STB/DVR cuz it only has composite input, and it needs Component or HDMI input which are the only STB/DVR outputs that preserve WS aspect.

Grex Video Stabilizer (Israeli mfgr, now at Amazon)

Strips CP from composite/S-Video/Component RGB sources. It MAY preserve WS aspect from STBs via its Component RGB output but I have no definitive usage info on that aspect. There are several threads on the Grex on AVS Forum related to CP stripping, like this one.

DP-X7000 Stabilizer.
Strips CP from composite/S-Video/Component RGB sources. It MAY preserve WS aspect from STBs via its Component RGB output but I have no definitive usage info on that aspect. Tested & approved for CP stripping by others, see post #37 and #42 here.

Another list just for STB/DVR users is here (repeats first two above, adds others).

DON'T GIVE UP ON 1ST TRY!

Can the Mag's 6-hour buffer strip CP? NO.

FINE PRINT: Be aware that the design of these tested devices can change at any time and that, in the future, they may or may not work as described below. The MCM video stabilizer has been around for years, and mine operated better than some people said it would, but you still never know what the future holds.

HDMI>Composite/S-Video Converter ... Beware of counterfeits.

Here are two HDMI converters out of MANY you can find online. The first is a Chinese model I tested, the second is an American model by Sabrent, which I have not tested.

Typical HDMI Converter

86671.jpg

• For copying/recording via HDMI from DVD players/recorders, STBs and DVRs.
  • Strips CP
  • Strips analog CC but not digital CC
  • Preserves 16:9 WS aspect.
  • Composite ("CVBS")/S-Video switch (only one active at a time).
  • PAL/NTSC switch... Try in both positions to compare. You can tell if you're in true PAL position when you see color pic but it's noticeably poorer color and clarity than in true NTSC position!
  • My PQ excellent from comm. pressed DVDs. Others disagree so YMMV. (I lead a charmed life.).
  • Runs hot but remove end plates for cooler op.
  • On-screen indicators/menus activated in the source/player MAY get recorded with video (check yours). You would be wise to avoid pressing any buttons while recording!
  • When used with some STB/DVRs, connections can make BIG difference. See notes here

I tested my HDMI converter on some comm. DVDs with CP that previously prevented me from copying them for home-library backups. Setup: Philips 3575 HDMI Out>Converter>Composite Out to a Mag 2160. NTSC/PAL switch set to NTSC. CVBS/S-Video switch set to CVBS (composite yellow RCA). Viewed results on a 47" Vizio LCD. Didn't try S-Video out from converter, which could well have produced even better results.

This converter did an excellent job with very slight PQ degradation noticeable only on edges of letters in opening credits. I looked very hard to see if there was any diff. in the moving pics while switching between the same scenes in the original and the copy... couldn't detect anything major at all.

It preserved 16:9 Wide Aspect to the recorder and, JFTHOI again, in a separate test to my 16:9 HDTV. It stripped ANALOG closed captions (CC). It couldn't strip DIGITAL CC recorded with our DVDRs cuz those are burned into the video.

It runs hot while processing video (virtually no heat when idle). One reason might be its case design: metal, non-vented, "wrap-around" with 4 screws in each end plate. I removed the 8 end-plate screws, which did not hold anything in place except the end plates themselves. The PCB is rigidly mounted on a shelf inside. I could not slide it out to run it "bare." But I did leave the end plates off, did another video copy test, and the unit ran considerably cooler, just "barely warm" in fact. For someone concerned with heat, there's no reason, beyond esthetics and dust, to have the end plates in place. No moving parts, so a little dust shouldn't be of concern... especially for a blowhard like me?

This converter can also future-proof you for the "analog sunset" when Bluray disc (BD) players and recorders will have only HDMI outputs, no analog (Composite YWR, S-Video, Component RGB). In the future, your old recorders with analog-only inputs won't work anymore for copying/recording from a BD player. I think it's safe to say that satcos and cablecos will think this is a grand idea and will pay to have a FCC Rule tailored to their needs as well... imagine STB/DVRs w/o any analog outputs! This has always been the end-game: to allow you to VIEW but prevent you from RECORDING... "fair use" was an old, 20th Century idea!

If you get one that doesn't work as you expect, your reason for return would have to be "defective," "poor quality" or something other than "it doesn't strip CP" since that's not an advertised feature! biggrin.gif

Some people don't think the PQ from this converter is as good as I saw. One reason could be the NTSC/PAL switch on one end... you have to set that for the video signal you receive! Another reason could be the obviously charmed life that I live!?

I bought my HDMI converter from bargaincell.com, one of the MANY sellers on Amazon, but I don't see them there anymore. I'm apparently the only member who likes it so I'm either lying or I "lucked out" on quality.

See this page for some (make sure unit(s) of interest say "HDMI to Composite" not vice versa). 

For copying from cable/sat STB/DVR, check effect of STB resolution setting (try various).

Sabrent HDMI Converter

• The unit I reported on first worked very well in my system!
  • This Sabrent unit *looks* exactly like the one I tested and reported on here.
  • Sabrent is an American company based in Los Angeles.
  • The Sabrent converter pictured at left is just one of many you can still find online. It probably has same features as Component converter described next, except slightly better PQ? A non-counterfeit unit is now getting harder to find.
  • This Sabrent unit auto-detects NTSC/PAL signal, unlike my tested unit which has a physical switch which, if not set in right position, could give you a less-than-ideal pic.
  • Pic quality from a STB/box can also be less-than-ideal depending on the output resolution you set for the STB/box.
  • On Tiger Direct site, most 1-star reviews came from trying to use it on a PC/laptop. One laptop user says to ignore those people, just needs the right configuration.
  • One user said it "ran hot" (like my tested unit did) but it has same case design, so removing the 4 screws on each end plate and running it w/o those plates makes a huge diff. in heat, no diff. in ops or quality.
  • Cable/sat STB ops and conversion quality might be affected by res setting of STB.
  • If you buy a HDMI converter, please report on it.
  • Be aware of counterfeiters.

Go back to List. ...... Go to main list of help files.

COMPONENT>Composite/S-Video Converter ... Beware of counterfeits.

Here's a Monoprice converter used by many AVS members. Google for others but (make sure unit(s) of interest say "Component to Composite" not vice versa). For copying from cable/sat STB/DVR, check effect of STB resolution setting (try various).

• For copying/recording via Component RGB from DVD players/recorders, STBs and DVRs.
  • Strips CP
  • Preserves 16:9 WS aspect.
  • Composite ("CVBS")/S-Video switch (only one active at a time).
  • PAL/NTSC switch... Try in both positions to compare. You can tell if you're in NTSC position when the color pic has noticeably better color and clarity than in PAL position!
  • My PQ good from comm. pressed DVDs, but others disagree, so YMMV. I DO lead a charmed life. Or I'm lying?  Run w/PAL/NTSC switch in both positions to be sure.
  • On-screen indicators/menus activated in the source/player MAY get recorded with video (check yours). You would be wise to avoid pressing any buttons while recording!
  • When used with some STB/DVRs, connections can make BIG difference. See notes here.
  • Cable/sat STB ops and conversion quality might be affected by res setting of STB.
  • With rampant counterfeiting, these items are a "crapshoot." Maybe the Monoprice unit pictured is as safe as you're gonna get? Monoprice is a favored supplier for AVS members and has been sold there for a long time.

Component RGB Setup

I tested this Component converter on some comm. DVDs with CP that previously prevented me from copying them for home-library backups.

Setup: Philips 3575 Component Out>Converter>Composite Out to a Mag 2160. Playing 3575's Progressive Scan OFF. NTSC/PAL switch on converter set to NTSC and CVBS/S-Video switch set to CVBS (composite Yellow RCA).

Viewed results on a 47" Vizio LCD. Didn't try S-Video out from converter, which could well have produced even better results.

Component RGB Results

Worked well with just a skosh more PQ degradation on the edges of opening credits than the HDMI converter described above.

It preserved 16:9 Wide Aspect from Component thru the Composite Yellow connection to the recorder and, in a separate test, to my 16:9 HDTV JFTHOI.

It stripped ANALOG closed captions (CC). It couldn't strip DIGITAL CC recorded with our DVDRs cuz those are burned into the video.

Some people don't think the PQ from this converter is as good as I saw. One reason could be the NTSC/PAL switch on one end... you can actually get a "decently poor" pic on PAL! For best results with cable/sat STB's, set "Native Resolution" to OFF?

Another reason could be the known COUNTERFEITING of this product, some with no R&D or testing capability at all.

Since there are SO MANY sellers of these converters, I linked only to Monoprice, which is one of AVS's most respected sponsors of our AV cables and accessories and sells their branded version. Here's hoping they only stock the original!

MCM Video Stabilizer for VHS/DVD Players and Other Sources

Available from MCM.

• For copying via RCA Yellow output from players/recorders and other sources.
  • Strips CP.
  • Does NOT strip analog or digital CC.
  • Preserves 16:9 WS aspect from DVDs (virtually all VHS tapes are 4:3).
  • Does NOT have NTSC/PAL switch... for NTSC only.
  • Has 9V Chinese battery you might want to replace ASAP?
  • Has plug for 9V power adapter.
  • My PQ in 2-hr-SP rec mode better than original comm. VHS tapes and excellent from comm. pressed DVDs, but others disagree, so YMMV. I DO lead a charmed life. Or I might be lying?
  • Has internal adjustable pot for pic/CP tweaking that allowed Tomwil to copy all his comm/ DVDs.
  • On-screen indicators/menus activated in source/player MAY get recorded with video (check yours). You would be wise to avoid pressing any buttons while recording!

This MCM Video Stabilizer was originally designed just for VHS tapes, but should work for *most* commercial DVDs, or *all* DVDs after an internal pot adjustment, plus other sources with Yellow RCA output.

Does NOT have NTSC/PAL switch... apparently for NTSC only. MCM website doesn't even have the word PAL anywhere.

Nice metal box. Operates on a replaceable 9V battery with 2000-hr life claimed. Turns "on" only when it senses a video signal, turns off at end of video signal. Has a single yellow RCA composite input and output, no S-Video. Mine came with 9V Chinese battery, which you might want to replace ASAP? It has plug for 9V power adapter.

MCM Results on Commercial VHS Tapes

I used my Philips 3575 that had previously copied 9 of 14 of my VHS commercial movies directly to HDD, followed by HSD to DVD, all without a stabilizer. For this test, I started with one of my most-impossible tapes to copy. I connected the stabilizer thru its single in/out RCA connector between the VCR and the 3575, and this prev. "impossible" tape copied successfully to HDD.

I also tested it direct-to-DVD and it, too, copied successfully. I then copied the rest of my VHS movies with stabilizer and direct-to-DVD (DTD), letting the DVD run to end, which turned out to be a real joy, as described here.

Virtually all VHS is 4:3 aspect, but I copied them to my Philips DVDR in my permanent TV Aspect setting of "16:9 Wide" (i.e., I didn't change it to 4:3 Letter Box for these tapes). VHS tapes and other standard 4:3 material CAN'T be reshaped/mis-shaped by the Philips' or Mag's 16:9 Wide aspect setting.

I viewed the copies in "Normal" (4:3) aspect on a 32" Vizio 720p LCD and they looked really good and in their normal 4:3 aspect. I also viewed in "Wide" aspect just to see the effect of stretching... not bad at all, just slightly softer, as expected, but very watchable. No bars on anything.

I copied the first tape in 3-hr-LP rec mode by mistake. The LP copy was about as good as the VHS source, as confirmed by my very fussy wife/CFO. After I repeated the test in 2-hr-SP rec mode, she confirmed that the 2-hr-SP copy was slightly better than the VHS original, esp. in the black screens or black objects. As I found with all my tape copying, the stabilizer didn't affect my 3575's ability to make solid, full-screen blacks more uniform but still preserve the details in black objects like hair or clothing.

Closed captions (CC) were preserved.

My VHS copies were so good with the video stabilizer that I just left it in line even for copying my final batch of home movies to DVD.

Again, as with the HDMI and Component converters above, some people don't think the PQ from this converter is as good as I saw. Could be many reasons, including counterfeiting as mentioned above. Buying only from MCM should prevent that?

MCM Results on Commercial DVDs

I tested this stabilizer between a Philips 3575 and Mag 2160 and it allowed me to copy 6 of 10 randomly selected commercial DVD movies. On all 10, I confirmed that they would not copy w/o the stabilizer. The 6 that copied were released between 2000 and 2009.

It also worked on ALL of Tomwil's comm. DVDs after he adjusted an internal potentiometer (RW1), as described and shown in Posts #15 and #20 here.

Copy quality is excellent thru the stabilizer when viewed on 32" and 47" LCDs... surprisingly good, but then the DVD source is also excellent compared to a VHS source!

Closed captions (CC) were preserved.

DON'T GIVE UP ON 1ST TRY!

Update on MCM Converter, 10/31/12... applies to all!

I connected my MCM from my Panasonic combo VCR/DVD player to my Philips 3575 for a new test of my MCM for MV/CGMS. I played a comm. DVD that I successfully copied previously from another 3575, except this time it was from the Panny combo.

It threw an E25 (Macrovision) error and refused to copy from the combo!

I had also previously copied comm. tapes (and, in fact, the same movie except on tape) with the MCM from a couple of different VCRs to that same 3575 without any problems... no errors.

So, it appears that the playing device might have LOTS to do with the MV/CGMS effects, and people should try other players, if available, when the filters don't seem to work, i.e., don't give up on 1st try!?

Go back to List. ...... Go to main list of help files.

Buffer Can't Save CP'd Stuff to HDD without Stabilizer

While you can view buffered CP'd stuff from an external source, you can't Save it to HDD w/o a filter/stabilizer in between. I tested this on a CP'd DVD from a player to a Mag 2160.

youhavequestions and Zartana like this.

|
|
|
post #14476 of 25920 Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So you do your VCR-DVD transfer in SP mode? Any value in using a higher quality rec mode? Also do you go direct to DVD or first to HDD?

scott s.

post #14477 of 25920 Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

So you do your VCR-DVD transfer in SP mode? Any value in using a higher quality rec mode? Also do you go direct to DVD or first to HDD?

I used mostly 2-hr-SP since most of my VHS and DVD movies were 2 hours or less, but I also used 2-1/2-hour SPP and 3-hour-LP. I've found no problem using SPP or other lower-quality rec modes if the source is good, like a digital/HD channel or a DVD movie.

I'd stick to SP whenever possible, but don't hesitate to go to SPP for longer things, even VHS. I did one of my VHS tests at LP (by accident) and it looked almost as good as SP except on the opening text/credits, which were just slightly more fuzzy edged.

You CAN do a short rec to HDD or to DVD at any rec mode to test its quality, then just delete that title at the end. A 2-3 sec test-rec even to DVD (deleted later, before finalizing) won't take up too much space and might help you decide if you're "close" on time and not sure.

My VHS copies were so good with the video stabilizer that I left it in line even for copying my home movies to DVD.

I don't see any real value in using a higher-than-necessary rec mode if you don't plan to project it to a 100" screen. I tested all my stuff on a 47" LCD.

My transfers were from the source to HDD AND direct to DVD. In fact, all my VHS transfers with the video stabilizer were direct-to-DVD (DTD), as described here.

If you use the DTD method, you can get slightly more on a DVD than even HSD, as shown in the "RTR Times" listed here.

|
|
|
post #14478 of 25920 Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

O! gastrof

Did you see my PM?

Mr 234, do you know any news over the next Funai DVR?

As always, I have been reading the last three pages of this thread and its awesome.
post #14479 of 25920 Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I always use SP for pretty much everything, especially tape dubs as I don't think the top quality mode will help VHS tape quality at all and just wastes disk space. Like Wajo said, do a few quick test recordings and decide for yourself what quality vs space level your willing to live with. I've mostly been doing captures in HD with my HDTV card now, then I edit them down and redo them to HD MPG quality. Hopefully Funai will read all our wish lists and make a newer deck with BD and HD recording etc
post #14480 of 25920 Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM

For anyone interested, Walmart lowered the price for a NEW MDR515H to $219.88!
What a deal!!!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-M...ndingMethod=rr

Oops...AND Amazon!

MDR515H/F7 Lover/User/Tester
post #14481 of 25920 Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Hmm, I sure hope they have a price protection policy, since I ordered one that is supposed to ship-to-store this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post

What a deal!!!

Oops...AND Amazon!

post #14482 of 25920 Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post

What a deal!!!

Oops...AND Amazon!

To quote from JoeKustra's post on 04/30/10 when the first MDR513's showed up:
".....means clear out inventory for a new model!"

Joe, time to polish up the crystal ball again.

(Wonder when J&R will reduced their refurbished MDR515 price to $159-$169 level?)

post #14483 of 25920 Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca2983 View Post

Hmm, I sure hope they have a price protection policy, since I ordered one that is supposed to ship-to-store this week.

7 days.

|
|
|
post #14484 of 25920 Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post
To quote from JoeKustra's post on 04/30/10 when the first MDR513's showed up:
".....means clear out inventory for a new model!"

Joe, time to polish up the crystal ball again.

(Wonder when J&R will reduced their refurbished MDR515 price to $159-$169 level?)
Quite possible. I also noticed an endcap with their DVD Player a few weeks ago. They (we) are trying very hard to increase same-store sales. Changing the space used by clothing over to CE makes sense. There are pilot stores selling washing machines and new mini-marts being tried also.

A revolutionary change would get a lot of attention (lacking now). A small evolutionary change will not do much, if anything. I'll keep using my 515H. Mine works fine. But there are a lot of people being forced out of the analog world. Only Funai knows the future. Give me HD and/or internet and I'll buy. Add a tvguide and I'll pass. Different strokes. Just to stay even they will have to get cloudy.
post #14485 of 25920 Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

If Funai does come up with a new model I really hope it has a discrete On and a discrete Off. Trying to use Macros to control a device without them can be challenging at best.

Especially when dealing with my "CEO" as Wajo states.
post #14486 of 25920 Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Give me HD and/or internet and I'll buy. Add a tvguide and I'll pass. Different strokes.

I 'need' a second recorder, but I really want HD. I'm fine with SD DVDs, but for timeshifting, I notice the loss of PQ. TVGOS is a great concept, but it has caused Pal/CMPal owners much grief. Even so, I'm leaning toward CM7000pal for my second recorder, and the most compelling factor is HD. If I heard Funai has HD in the works, I would wait for it.
post #14487 of 25920 Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

I 'need' a second recorder, but I really want HD. I'm fine with SD DVDs, but for timeshifting, I notice the loss of PQ. TVGOS is a great concept, but it has caused Pal/CMPal owners much grief. Even so, I'm leaning toward CM7000pal for my second recorder, and the most compelling factor is HD. If I heard Funai has HD in the works, I would wait for it.

If you don't care about the built-in, DVD burner, you might want to go to www.solidsignal.com, and check out the new, Zinwell ZAT-980H HD DVR. Only $199.99, and no TVGOS - but it still has an ATSC PSIP guide (it also does clear-QAM).
post #14488 of 25920 Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If you don't care about the built-in, DVD burner, you might want to go to www.solidsignal.com, and check out the new, Zinwell ZAT-980H HD DVR. Only $199.99, and no TVGOS - but it still has an ATSC PSIP guide (it also does clear-QAM).

Good to know there's another option. I didn't see much info about this product. On the Zinwell site they had a version with two tuners, but it was not this model. The user manual link didn't work, but if it's like the BV manual, it won't be any help.

I did read something about being able to add an external HDD and then watch on computer...
post #14489 of 25920 Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

Good to know there's another option. I didn't see much info about this product. On the Zinwell site they had a version with two tuners, but it was not this model. The user manual link didn't work, but if it's like the BV manual, it won't be any help.

I did read something about being able to add an external HDD and then watch on computer...

A similar (if not identical unit to Zinwell's ZAT-980H) the brite-View BV-980H is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/brite-View-BV-...&s=electronics.

brit-View claim up to 39 hours of HD recording time on the units built-in 320GB 2.5" HDD. Additional storage (up to 2TB) is available using a USB 2.0 external hard drive. (It's not clear whether the unit would except a larger internal HDD.)

britView Website: http://brite-view.com/980h.php
BV-980H User Manual (pdf): http://brite-view.com/pdf/980h_user_manual.pdf
Email (for questions and/or support): service@brite-view.com
LL
LL
LL

post #14490 of 25920 Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:

7 days.

As an update-prior to the response above I emailed Walmart.com customer service regarding a request for price adjustment, and so far they have declined to offer it, saying that it is beyond 7 days since I placed the order:

6/3 Placed order for store pickup.
6/3 Order cancelled, not in store although WM.com said it was.
6/3 Re-ordered for ship-to-store
6/5 Received order confirmation from WM.com
6/12 Learned of price change here, immediately emailed WM.com regarding price protection
6/13 received response

I can see the 7 day policy for an in-store purchase, but I ordered on 6/3, and merchandise is not here yet. The clock should start from the time I take delivery of the product, not from the time I order it! I will probably refuse/return the order, and re-order. It's a pain, but $30 is $30.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page