Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Thanks wajo.
I'm guessing we'll be out of luck unless Philips
releases a firmware fix to use the digital time signal
instead of the analog...

My 3575 and 3576 were both unable to get the time from the PBS station because a community FM station that has its antenna less than a mile from my house was creating a lot of interference in the channel 6 spectrum. (I recently got it going again by switching in the FM filter in my CM7777 pre-amp and adding an FM trap in front of the pre-amp.)

I believe the time drift was less than a minute per month. If my units are typical, it shouldn't be the end of the world, unless your trying to do back to back recording.

Its my experience that one can still have a problem trying to record back to back, even if the recorder is dead on. I have noted that sometimes one station will start the later program before the earlier program is completely over on another station. In my area, it is more of an issue during first runs when they often have a preview of the next weeks show. I would sometimes have to give up some or all of the preview to get the lead in of the second program.

I usually set up to start 2 minutes before the scheduled beginning and go 2 minutes after the scheduled end to be sure I get everything.
kenavs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjbawc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

. (Believe it or not, the TV aspect setting DOES affect the dubbed DVD aspect with my Pio 640!)

Huh? How could that be? Are you saying that changing the aspect ratio setting on your TV affects how your Pio records? How so? I certainly haven't noticed any changes in how my Pio records, and I often have my TV zoomed to make LB fill the screen, while recording on my Pio. If you think it better, you can reply to this in the 640 thread.
kjbawc is offline  
post #1443 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Huh? How could that be? Are you saying that changing the aspect ratio setting on your TV affects how your Pio records? How so? I certainly haven't noticed any changes in how my Pio records, and I often have my TV zoomed to make LB fill the screen, while recording on my Pio. If you think it better, you can reply to this in the 640 thread.

No, sorry, I meant the Pio 640's "TV Screen Size" setting in the Playback menu... I'll have to change the post above to make that clearer... I used a 3575/76 term.

I also failed to mention that the program I was copying from HDD to DVD was a WS program recorded from a Line Input from my Philips 3575, something "normal" Pio users won't see, i.e., widescreen programs... except they WILL when they get their digital converter boxes and start having WS programs from digital channels on their HDD!

It surprised the heck out of me that it had an effect on a copy, but it happened when I was testing the passthru of digital channels from my 3575 to the Pio 640, as reported here.
wajo is offline  
post #1444 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Jim Braun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

You can't do an auto channel scan from two diff. sources since one wipes out the other's memory. In theory (I haven't tested this), you *should* be able to use a 2-pos switch and do an Auto Channel Preset on the cable TV position. Then switch to the antenna position and do a Manual Channel Preset, for which you'll have to know the channel numbers you might receive OTA, OR just go thru all 135 channels while on antenna in pos 2, tedious since each dig. channel takes up to 10 sec to tune or go blue? ... only help I know there is this forum where you can search for your city and find an OTA channel list?


I think cablecos are *supposed* to keep at least the local channels for weather emergencies etc. in the clear so even a digital-tunered TV can tune them? You could call your cableco and see what's up... you NEED your local channels for emergencies!

I did try to add the OTA channels manually after doing an auto scan for the cable analog/ digital channels, but had little sucess. Evidently you must first have the channels in memory in order to add or delete them. Just adding the channel number and pressing "add" DOES add the "number" into the database, but the set still can't "tune it in" - you get just a blue screen. The autoscan for the analog/digital cable channels wiped out almost all of my existing OTA channels that had been in memory. Not all of them were wiped out, however. I still had the ability to "add" back 3 of my 21 local digital channels after the analog cable auto scan. I was not able to decipher why those 3 channels were not wiped out like the rest, but I think it was because they were the very strong stations and they actually bled through the analog cable line and were included in that auto scan - hence I was able to add/ delete them manually. I was hoping there may be a "trick" for combining the OTA channels with the analog/(digital) channels. I will not be able to test it further, the set has already been sent back to the store. I Obviously got a lemon.

I want to thank the person that advised everybody here to buy from Wall Mart whenever possible, because it is so easy to make a return. If I had bought that set from Circuit City I would have been required to either pay a 15% restocking fee, or accept another identical unit in return. I have chosen not to own the 3576 because of it's shortcoming in combining the OTA and cable channels. I will monitor this forum and if I see where somebody figures a way to do it, I will get another one. I got to believe this shortcoming is an engineering error in judgment - it is the first recorder or TV set I have come across that did not have the ability to combine the two in some manner.

If you can direct me to a law of some kind that does require the cable companies to keep the local channels in the first 137 FCC allocated group, I will certainly make an issue of it with my cable company. I will not just call and inquire however. Except for the girls that answer the phones, they are an extremely arrogant bunch. I would love to give them the slip in favor of Dish Network, but I am surrounded by tall oak trees, and can't get a line of sight to the satellite. I actually have no desire to get my local TV from them anyway, because my OTA channels are beautiful. I live within 4 miles of downtown Cincinnati and the broadcasts here are excellent. The only digital channels I want are the digital equivalent of my existing analog channels which they have moved out of reach. They want 15$ per month per TV set for those digital channels, which is absurd IMO. They will soon be getting them all for free, and reconverting them back to analog just to insure they can keep their lucrative escalating pricing scheme of analog/ digital/ digital HD channels. The cable companies are IMO one of the worst examples of the destruction of free enterprise in this country. They were awarded easement rights across every piece of private property in their locals under the Eminent Domain laws, and they were allowed to operate without competition, and little or no oversight by the private sector, They reap huge profits and answer to no one, except maybe their extensive army of lobbyists they keep happy in DC.

Thanks for your reply.
Jim Braun is offline  
post #1445 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

(...) I believe the time drift was less than a minute per month. If my units are typical, it shouldn't be the end of the world, unless your trying to do back to back recording.(...)

If mine is anywhere close to that I could live with it.
(My old LiteOn is some 3 seconds off per day.)
Chuck44 is online now  
post #1446 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

For those of us that are OTA only, I would really
like to know what's going to happen on Feb 17
when analog broadcasts shut down, since the 3575
sets its clock via the analog PBS signal.

I don't seem to recall there being a lack of manual setup for the clock on mine...which has been replaced by a 3576 by Philips.

I mean, Philips certainly designed the thing with the digital changeover in mind. It has the digital tuner...
gastrof is offline  
post #1447 of 25746 Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As long as the recorder has a manual clock setting option, you'll be fine. You'll just have to check it occasionally to make sure it's staying accurate.

But that's still a lot better than not having that option at all.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #1448 of 25746 Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
wajo is offline  
post #1449 of 25746 Old 08-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Newbie
 
jeff27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the 3576 manual, page 42 it states clearly: "This unit cannot record images as aspect ratio of 16:9. The 16:9 images will be recorded as 4:3." Yet, from reading many posts and also wajo's wide screen section, it's also clear you can get a 16:9 picture on your TV from a recorded program. So what's the process by which this happens? Is the recorded output indeed exactly what you see in the broadcast or is it a reconstituted approximation (i.e. not quite as good)? Thanks.
jeff27 is offline  
post #1450 of 25746 Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Member
 
tac7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post

I did try to add the OTA channels manually after doing an auto scan for the cable analog/ digital channels, but had little sucess. Evidently you must first have the channels in memory in order to add or delete them. Just adding the channel number and pressing "add" DOES add the "number" into the database, but the set still can't "tune it in" - you get just a blue screen.

You are right. There does NOT seem to be a way around it. I tried to combine both, an amplified OTA digital channel, and the QAM channels via a reverse splitter; I also tried a 50 ohm potentiometer to attenuate one feed from the other, but as soon as you hook up both feeds (OTA and analog/digital), the OTA channels freezes and then disappears. The 3576 only keeps ONE previously scanned group in memory.

Quote:
The autoscan for the analog/digital cable channels wiped out almost all of my existing OTA channels that had been in memory. Not all of them were wiped out, however. I still had the ability to "add" back 3 of my 21 local digital channels after the analog cable auto scan. I was not able to decipher why those 3 channels were not wiped out like the rest, but I think it was because they were the very strong stations and they actually bled through the analog cable line and were included in that auto scan - hence I was able to add/ delete them manually.

I wasn't even able to "ADD" one OTA channel manually after re-doing the analog/QAM scan. It only let me enter the basic channel #, but not the decimal point, which resulted in the blue screen. So an A/B switch does not seem to be the answer.

Quote:
I was hoping there may be a "trick" for combining the OTA channels with the analog/(digital) channels.

Doesn't look that way.
tac7 is offline  
post #1451 of 25746 Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post

I was hoping there may be a "trick" for combining the OTA channels with the analog/(digital) channels.

You may wish to read this thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055347

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #1452 of 25746 Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post

...The cable companies are IMO one of the worst examples of the destruction of free enterprise in this country. They were awarded easement rights across every piece of private property in their locals under the Eminent Domain laws, and they were allowed to operate without competition, and little or no oversight by the private sector, They reap huge profits and answer to no one, except maybe their extensive army of lobbyists they keep happy in DC...

Amen! You, me, and about a zillion others feel the same way. I feel that soon I may be able to drop cable -- other viable options are coming around - mostly video via the net and sites like hulu.com, things like the ROKU Netflix player (unlimited streaming movies for $9 a month), and so on. The ROKU Netflix box is awesome and they already they have TV series like Heroes, 30 Rock, etc. available. I'm close to cutting the cable, but not quite there yet. It will be a glorious day when I can. As you say, they are one arrogant bunch of SOB's and they are screwing us all royally and will continue as long as they can. The politicos really rolled over for them. /end rant/
bron is offline  
post #1453 of 25746 Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Member
 
Jim Braun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Westly-C, thanks for the link, let me continue that discussion here (because I want to request someone try it and see if it works). That thread addresses the problem of establishing access to both the OTA and cable channels when using the 3576 by connecting the output from one of the new ASCT/analog tuners now flooding the market (with the $40 government rebate subsidy) to one of the inputs on the 3576. Actually I never thought of that approach, and it should work - to a limited degree. I say limited because you still could not view anything in HD through the 3576 like you can via the pass thru connection. But this is a solution, because I could simply connect my A/B switch box to switch between my:

1) OTA antenna and the RF input on my TV, and
2) the analog cable feed line and the RF input connector on the 3576.

Could someone that has an ASCT/analog STB verify that you can:

1)View what is recording on the input lines of the 3576 (via the chosen output connection to the TV?
2)That indeed those ASCT/analog STB's are available with a matching input connectors on the 3576 (Composite or S-Video )? Perhaps I should ask that question on the other forum
Jim Braun is offline  
post #1454 of 25746 Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Jim Braun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bron, almost every economic sector in this great country has been severely infected with laws that have brought our free enterprise to it's knees. Fact is, the only free enterprise that is left in America is the local brick and mortar businesses competing for your walk-in dollars. Big business, from Banking to Insurance and, as we all know, those giant Energy companies have their decks padded with laws that guarantee huge profits. Take the broadcasting industry for example. The FCC controls how the business allocates the sale of entertainment. They will not allow ESPN to sell their product to just anybody. If they did, one of my local TV stations would be broadcasting ESPN as an OTA program - and do it for nothing more than the revenue generated via advertising. But that would step on both the toes of the cable companies and the Satellite companies, so you and I must buy ESPN as part of an overpriced package deal, all the while the local broadcasters find it increasingly difficult to compete with the cable and satellite industries. Everybody is happy about the system except the citizens - nobody represents their interests anymore. I dream about a day when I could view in HD, both ESPN and my favorite channel, The History channel, as an OTA feed. It will never happen until the day we the citizens, get smart and elect some politicians that have the people as their main concern, and not the concerns of the lobbyist that represent special interests. IMO, it is not the Democrats or the Republicans that are at fault, it is the Lobbyist system that has been allowed to truly run amuck and has this country high jacked and at gunpoint.

I apologize for the political rant.
Jim Braun is offline  
post #1455 of 25746 Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Member
 
stressbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope I have the right thread here -- just registered.

Own a Philips 3576H for a couple pf weeks and it is wonderful for HDD recording and also playing DVDs.
My problem is using the remote to switch from HDD to DVD and DVD to HDD. For example I just dubbed a movie from the HDD to a DVD disk and it finalized. I pressed "stop" and then pressed HDD and the mode didn't change from DVD. I pressed "info". "setup" and tray "open" and pressed stop. Finally after pressing "HDD" a few times the HDD icon appeared in the upper right of the screen. Going back to DVD usually takes the same amount of tweaking.

Can anyone help me understand what's wrong or what I'm doing wrong?

RCC
stressbox is offline  
post #1456 of 25746 Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
streessbox, when you say "it finalized" I'm not sure... the "Finalize" step after dubbing to a DVD requires going to the Disc Edit menu and selecting Finalize.

It sounds as if you were in the process of a dub and maybe the dub hadn't finished, which would explain your lack of response to button presses. That is, the dubbing process takes two steps, read from HDD and write to disc. It sounds like maybe it was writing to disc, during which a message appears REMINDING you to Finalize, and some people mistake that for a message that it was actually Finalizing?

On your next dub, try to be there to watch the on-screen messages and the final "Writing to Disc"... only after that writing is done can you manually Finalize with the Disc Edit menu.

You shouldn't have to press STOP during any portion of the dub and finalize process.

I hope something here explains what might be happening?
wajo is offline  
post #1457 of 25746 Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Member
 
stressbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your quick reply. The dubbing appeared to end -- the scale of boxes filled up and disappeared, Then a finalizing notice appeared and went on to report 45% etc. I thought that finalized the disk but I'll put in back in and use disk edit as you suggest. My machine was mfd in April -- do you suppose the software/firmware was changed?
However this was just one example of the HDD to DVD switch.
Aside from dubbing, if I turn the recorder power on and it is in HDD mode and press DVD it usually doesn't switch without a bit of fiddling with tray open, stop and maybe other buttons as well. And if I watch a DVD and finish with "stop" it doesn't always readily switch to HDD.
Shouldn't the machine simply switch up and back when pressing those buttons?

Since I notice you are a godsend to many people asking questions I would like to risk wearing out my welcome with one more. :: I have a Sony CRT. 27 in, and am on Comcast Basic cable. Have connected the 3576H this way: the cable to a splitter and the two coaxes from the splitter go one to the Ant In of the 3576 and the other to the Ant In of the TV. Is this equivalent to your recommendations in your posts or would I be better off using the pass thru as you suggest?

Thanks again.

Ron
stressbox is offline  
post #1458 of 25746 Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox View Post

Thanks for your quick reply. The dubbing appeared to end -- the scale of boxes filled up and disappeared, Then a finalizing notice appeared and went on to report 45% etc. I thought that finalized the disk but I'll put in back in and use disk edit as you suggest. My machine was mfd in April -- do you suppose the software/firmware was changed?

That bar under the finalize notice is for "Writing to Disc" as the final step of the dubbing function. After that goes away, you can then go to the Disc Edit menu and Finalize the DVD. You don't have to Finalize right away, but I've read many sad tales of people postponing Finalization, then their machine craps out and they're stuck with finding the same brand/type of machine or getting the old clunker fixed so they can Finalize a slew of discs they've been putting aside!

Here's a help file on Dubbing, Finalizing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox View Post

However this was just one example of the HDD to DVD switch.
Aside from dubbing, if I turn the recorder power on and it is in HDD mode and press DVD it usually doesn't switch without a bit of fiddling with tray open, stop and maybe other buttons as well. And if I watch a DVD and finish with "stop" it doesn't always readily switch to HDD.
Shouldn't the machine simply switch up and back when pressing those buttons?

After turning power on, it takes ~20 sec for the HDD to spin up and the machine get ready (check for disc, etc.). During that time, buttons don't work. After that, tho, buttons should work pretty fast... the 3575/76 isn't a speed demon, however.

The last played/activated drive, HDD or DVD, is the one the machine stays on even after turning off, then on again. You have to make manual drive selections, like even after inserting a disc, you have to press DVD drive button if you want to see the Loading progress, etc. Them when done with activity on the DVD, you have to select the HDD to do something there,

Many people, incl. me, have "panicked" when they have a timer program going and they don't see the HDD light and the counter moving. That's another case where, if you've just played a DVD, you have to select the HDD drive to see its activity during a timer recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox View Post

Since I notice you are a godsend to many people asking questions I would like to risk wearing out my welcome with one more. :: I have a Sony CRT. 27 in, and am on Comcast Basic cable. Have connected the 3576H this way: the cable to a splitter and the two coaxes from the splitter go one to the Ant In of the 3576 and the other to the Ant In of the TV. Is this equivalent to your recommendations in your posts or would I be better off using the pass thru as you suggest?

Your 3576 should be 1st on the coax, then coax on to the TV... no splitter needed since the 3576 coax passthru IS an amplified splitter.

See Sketch #1 in this post for a connection diagram and explanation.

I hope this helps!
wajo is offline  
post #1459 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: my computer (or tablet)
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Unless I'm mistaken, somewhere in the menus there's a setting that will automatically finalize a disc once the recording is done. Not sure if it only does that when it senses the disc is pretty much full, or if it'll do it after a five minute recording (which might be very inconvenient ).

If you tend to only make "full disc" dubs that will immediately be finalized by you, you might want to set this feature to "on". It'll save you a step.

If you put recordings on a disc one at a time (like individual weekly episodes of a TV series), then this setting might NOT be something you want to use.
gastrof is offline  
post #1460 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
gce
Senior Member
 
gce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Anaheim CA
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

If you put recordings on a disc one at a time (like individual weekly episodes of a TV series), then this setting might NOT be something you want to use.

So I take it that if you finalize a RW disk you can not write to it again?
gce is offline  
post #1461 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

So I take it that if you finalize a RW disk you can not write to it again?

Yes, after you Unfinalize it.
Chuck44 is online now  
post #1462 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

So I take it that if you finalize a RW disk you can not write to it again?

The 3575/76 is somehwat unique in that -RW discs can be finalized for playing in other machines, then UNfinalized (leaving titles intact) and worked on again... add/delete titles, Erase, Overwrite, etc. Then it can be written to and finalized again, etc.

+RW don't need finalizing and that Disc Edit menu option isn't available.
wajo is offline  
post #1463 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Member
 
stressbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I mistook "writing to disk" as finalizing. Now I know "writing" doesn't mean "finalizing".
I will reconnect the coax to the 3576 and out to the TV.
I guess my only question is that nagging HDD to DVD switch. I powered up the recorder and it was in the DVD mode loading a disk and starting to play. I wanted to play an HDD recorded title and the HDD button didn't change to HDD. So I hit the "set up" button and, Titles and then played the recording that way. Somehow this procedure automatically changes to HDD.
After playing the HDD recording, erasing it and pressing "stop" I pressed DVD and nothing happened. I opened the disc tray, shut it and the DVD button worked and the DVD icon showed at the upper right of the screen.
A bit confusing to me.
Appreciate all the forum help.
Ron
stressbox is offline  
post #1464 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
kenavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox View Post

I mistook "writing to disk" as finalizing. Now I know "writing" doesn't mean "finalizing".
I will reconnect the coax to the 3576 and out to the TV.
I guess my only question is that nagging HDD to DVD switch. I powered up the recorder and it was in the DVD mode loading a disk and starting to play. I wanted to play an HDD recorded title and the HDD button didn't change to HDD. So I hit the "set up" button and, Titles and then played the recording that way. Somehow this procedure automatically changes to HDD.
After playing the HDD recording, erasing it and pressing "stop" I pressed DVD and nothing happened. I opened the disc tray, shut it and the DVD button worked and the DVD icon showed at the upper right of the screen.
A bit confusing to me.
Appreciate all the forum help.
Ron

It sure sounds strange that neither the HDD nor DVD buttons seem to have the correct effect.
You could take the batteries out of the remote for 30 seconds, or so, to reset the remote. It probably won't help, but it shouldn't hurt anything. You could also try new alkaline batteries.
kenavs is offline  
post #1465 of 25746 Old 08-14-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox View Post

I powered up the recorder and it was in the DVD mode loading a disk and starting to play. I wanted to play an HDD recorded title and the HDD button didn't change to HDD. So I hit the "set up" button and, Titles and then played the recording that way. Somehow this procedure automatically changes to HDD.
After playing the HDD recording, erasing it and pressing "stop" I pressed DVD and nothing happened. I opened the disc tray, shut it and the DVD button worked and the DVD icon showed at the upper right of the screen.
A bit confusing to me.

It is a bit confusing... I posted something on a test I did and then couldn't duplicate the results, so here we try again!

Here's some info on how the "normal" HDD/DVD button switches should work.

If you're playing a title from either drive and press the OTHER drive button, that Stops the playing title, leaves it in a Resume position, AND switches you to your selected drive.

If you turn the unit off then on again, the drive that was selected when you turned off will still be the selected drive, even if you leave a DVD in the tray when it's turned on. It will show Loading on front panel, but if HDD drive is last used, you won't see the Loading progress bar on screen until you switch to the DVD drive.

My "Titanic" commercial movie is where I could duplicate your experience... somewhat. This DVD has a "Continue" option built in for when you stop playing mid-show, eject the disc, then reload it, it auto-selects the Continue menu with two other options. While on that menu, I couldn't get ANY buttons to work... I had to PLAY (or press OK) on the "Continue" option, then press STOP, which then allowed normal ops again.

Apparently, it's like when you press the Title Menu button to show a disc title screen, you have to press STOP to get out of that menu cuz the machine has to play the disc to show the title screen. Except,here, while on the Title Menu screen, you CAN still press the HDD button and it will STOP the DVD and switch to the HDD.

Since NO buttons got me out of the "Continue" mode on "Titanic," it must not be same as your exp. where you were able to use other buttons to get to the HDD title list.

Whenever you get the "no-can-do" slashed-circle when you press the HDD button, it's possible that you've got a DVD trying to do something that requires you to press PLAY then STOP to get control back... maybe even just STOP???
wajo is offline  
post #1466 of 25746 Old 08-15-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Hey, one mystery solved!?

I found out why my 3575's in my basic analog cable feed freeze during an Auto Channel Preset (scan) on DIGITAL ch. 91... it's an ATT signal-analysis channel of some sort.

My DIGITAL ch. 91 has a chart with dBnU or dBnV on the left scale and an active oscilloscope trace running between -20 and -30 dBnU... sort of like a super-fast heart monitor trace.

Other people who run into a frozen channel might have one of these digital channels in their cable lineup... not sure if OTA people would also have one of these channels?
wajo is offline  
post #1467 of 25746 Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chuck44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Hey, one mystery solved!?

I found out why my 3575's in my basic analog cable feed freeze during an Auto Channel Preset (scan) on ch. 91... it's an ATT signal-analysis channel of some sort.

My ch. 91 has a chart with dBnU or dBnV on the left scale and an active oscilloscope trace running between -20 and -30 dBnU... sort of like a super-fast heart monitor trace.

Other people who run into the frozen channel might have one of these in their cable lineup... not sure if OTA people would also have one of these channels?

I'm OTA only and have never seen this...
Chuck44 is online now  
post #1468 of 25746 Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Hey, one mystery solved!?

I found out why my 3575's in my basic analog cable feed freeze during an Auto Channel Preset (scan) on DIGITAL ch. 91... it's an ATT signal-analysis channel of some sort.

My DIGITAL ch. 91 has a chart with dBnU or dBnV on the left scale and an active oscilloscope trace running between -20 and -30 dBnU... sort of like a super-fast heart monitor trace.

Other people who run into a frozen channel might have one of these digital channels in their cable lineup... not sure if OTA people would also have one of these channels?

Is this what you saw?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #1469 of 25746 Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Is this what you saw?

Similar, except for scale and units.
wajo is offline  
post #1470 of 25746 Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Member
 
stressbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

It is a bit confusing... I posted something on a test I did and then couldn't duplicate the results, so here we try again!

Here's some info on how the "normal" HDD/DVD button switches should work.

If you're playing a title from either drive and press the OTHER drive button, that Stops the playing title, leaves it in a Resume position, AND switches you to your selected drive.

If you turn the unit off then on again, the drive that was selected when you turned off will still be the selected drive, even if you leave a DVD in the tray when it's turned on. It will show Loading on front panel, but if HDD drive is last used, you won't see the Loading progress bar on screen until you switch to the DVD drive.

My "Titanic" commercial movie is where I could duplicate your experience... somewhat. This DVD has a "Continue" option built in for when you stop playing mid-show, eject the disc, then reload it, it auto-selects the Continue menu with two other options. While on that menu, I couldn't get ANY buttons to work... I had to PLAY (or press OK) on the "Continue" option, then press STOP, which then allowed normal ops again.

Apparently, it's like when you press the Title Menu button to show a disc title screen, you have to press STOP to get out of that menu cuz the machine has to play the disc to show the title screen. Except,here, while on the Title Menu screen, you CAN still press the HDD button and it will STOP the DVD and switch to the HDD.

Since NO buttons got me out of the "Continue" mode on "Titanic," it must not be same as your exp. where you were able to use other buttons to get to the HDD title list.

Whenever you get the "no-can-do" slashed-circle when you press the HDD button, it's possible that you've got a DVD trying to do something that requires you to press PLAY then STOP to get control back... maybe even just STOP???

Your report on available remotes inspired me to order a replacement. It arrived today and the problems with HDD & DVD switch were fixed. Must have been a defective OEM remote!
As info, I asked Philips to replace the remote (under warranty) and they say they must put the order through Vance Baldwin which they did. I called Vance who have the order but the remote is on back order and won't be available for some days??? Funny that Philips couldn't supply the replacement from their own inventory.
Now I have to take this computer into the shop because it won't recognize my internal D drive. Does it ever end?
Ron
stressbox is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off