Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 496 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14851 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 View Post

(Our setting structure)

Auto-Clock -- Auto (1)
-- Manual -- Analog channel (2-1)
-- Digital channel (2-2)
-- Off

Thank you 234. A very clear explanation.
Suggest this information be included in all future User Manuals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14852 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yes, thank you, 234! I appreciate having the full explanation about how the clock settings work.

I use manual clock, because I have a station that checks the clock every hour. The other stations are pretty good about time, but have more variance. Unlike most people here, I also use the daylight saving time setting. This Spring I recorded on the morning of the time change, and it made the transition as expected, changing the clock after the recording was complete.
post #14853 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

(Our setting structure)

Auto-Clock -- Auto (1)
-- Digital channel (2-2)
-- Off

Thank you. I asked because it seems that a response to lockups always suggests to turn off the auto-clock. You have said the clock is from the PSIP which is a digital only signal. Perhaps a firmware release could prevent searching analog channels and remove the bad analog clocks from causing lockups? I know my analog PBS has a bad clock, so I can't let my 515H find a good clock on a higher channel.
post #14854 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM
vmc

Liked: 10
Quote:

(Our setting structure)

Auto-Clock -- Auto (1)
-- Digital channel (2-2)
-- Off

(1)
If you set "Auto-Clock--Auto", unit try to receive time signal from analog channel.
Unit search from lower set channel to upper until unit finds a time signal.
Once unit has received time signal, unit memories the channel and connect same channel next time.
If time signal is not contained in same channel, unit searches from lower channel until finding time signal again.

Analog signal contains TIME data suitable for your region.
Sometimes, broadcast station transfers other region TV program to his region (ex. LA station transfers NY TV program to LA residence) without exchange time signal.
In such case, unit receives NY time and memories it in the clock.

(2)
If you select "Auto-Clock -- Manual", you can select channel from analog and digital channels.
The receiving channel is fixed and unit does not attempt to find time signal channel even if time signal is not included in it.

(2-1)
If you select one of analog channel as time signal channel, unit receives time signal same as (1) but unit does not scan.

(2-2)
If you select one of digital channel, you also need to set your time zone.
Digital channel time signal contains GMT data (Greenwich Mean Time).
Unit combines GMT and time zone that you have set.
It means if the broadcast time data is trustable, digital auto clock is useful.
But our engineer doubts the reliability of the data.

I recommend;

1) Never use Auto-Clock -- Auto
2) Never select Auto-clock -- Manual -- Analog channel
3) If you do not mind unit sets incorrect time sometimes, you may choose "Auto-Clock -- Manual -- Digital channel".
4) If you are a nervous person for unit time, you had better turn off the auto-clock and adjust sometimes.

After reading wajo's manifest, I used the "2-2" method your referring to. Manual - digital and Fox channel 11 for my area. No matter how long I leave the unit powered off. After turning it back on and waiting for 15 seconds max, it sets the clock to the correct time, to within 2 seconds of my atomic clock!

Several days in a row I watched it set the clock with atomic clock in hand just to verify. It never fails.

The only time it might fail is, if I monkey around with the unit before it has time to set the time. 15 seconds is short enough time to wait for correct time setting.
post #14855 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the AZO info guys I'll stay away from the "Life Series"
Charles
post #14856 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
post #14857 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ditto here. Just bought some Verbatim DataLifePlus. Until I came to this thread I had no idea that there was much variance, if any, in disc quality. Thanks. Too bad I already have 300-400 recordings on all kinds of different brands of discs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_I View Post

Thanks for the AZO info guys I'll stay away from the "Life Series"
Charles

post #14858 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Ditto here. Just bought some Verbatim DataLifePlus. Until I came to this thread I had no idea that there was much variance, if any, in disc quality. Thanks. Too bad I already have 300-400 recordings on all kinds of different brands of discs!

Even when good media is used its wise to check for playability at least once per year.
Contrary to the ads, recorded media has a finite lifetime, as the dye deteriorates with time.
The cheaper (in quality) the media the faster it goes bad.
post #14859 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #14860 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Amazon has matched the new Target price on the 513, $179.99,

Seller is still Target, but if you prefer ordering from Amazon... ?

This could portend a price reduction (Rollback) for the MDR515H/F7.

($199.88 would be a nice round figure . )

post #14861 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Just wondering if there is a certain time of the year when a successor to the 515 or other new model could be expected.

Dare we think HD and Blu-ray?

Price rollback on the 515 would induce me to get a second unit. Unless there was a reason to think one of the above was just around the corner.

Thanks.
post #14862 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My crystal ball says September or Neverember.
post #14863 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post
Just wondering if there is a certain time of the year when a successor to the 515 or other new model could be expected.

Dare we think HD and Blu-ray?

Price rollback on the 515 would induce me to get a second unit. Unless there was a reason to think one of the above was just around the corner.

Thanks.
Of course it's just around the corner... I just bought one a few weeks ago
it happens all the time ... New laptop ... One month later ... new model. New DVD recorder...

You're welcome!

All kidding aside, I was very happy with the matching price of the 515 from amazon so I'm not really bitchin' . And I like the 515 enough to maybe get another one... But that would be so wrong!!! ( I should just get busy dubbing so I can swap drives in all the 2160a s but this is so much easier!

PS thanks to 234 for the clock explanation ... Very helpful.
post #14864 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post
All kidding aside, I was very happy with the matching price of the 515 from amazon so I'm not really bitchin'
You mean the 513, right?
post #14865 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTal63 View Post

Dare we think HD and Blu-ray?...
I'd be satisfied with a tuner that doesn't get confused when exposed to digital cable channels (QAMs) and ends up not being able to directly tune some OTAs being carried by cable because (for some reason) the cable provider gave the same virtual channel number to another channel. TV's have no trouble dealing with the situation and discount the scrambled channel in favor of the OTA.

Why can't the Maggie tuners do the same? It CAN'T be that hard, can it?
post #14866 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I recommend;

1) Never use Auto-Clock -- Auto
2) Never select Auto-clock -- Manual -- Analog channel
3) If you do not mind unit sets incorrect time sometimes, you may choose "Auto-Clock -- Manual -- Digital channel".
4) If you are a nervous person for unit time, you had better turn off the auto-clock and adjust sometimes.

Just joined this forum after reading a ton of stuff here and buying and setting up (yesterday) a Magnavox 515 DVR. Today, I was deleting a bunch of the analog channels it found which I will never record, and, at exactly 12 noon, it did an auto clock set, apparently on analog channel 16, a PBS station which I later discovered is blank when tuned via the DVR. (This, and 2 other channels, apparently require the set-top box to be read. I have the incoming coax on a splitter so I can record them directly from the box on Line 1 input [S-video & L+R audio] if I ever need to.)

Anyway, just a few minutes later, the unit completely locked up and required the "soft reset" procedure (waited 3.5 hours), which worked like a charm. First thing I then did was turn the "Auto Clock - Auto" completely OFF. Apparently I AM a nervous person, but the whole idea of trusting PBS to send an accurate and appropriate time signal is anathema to me. Anyway, the unit works fine now, gets all the channels I need to ever record, made an HDD recording fine last night, dubbed it to DVD this afternoon, and I am pleased, if a bit nervous.

One question for y'all: Someone suggested elsewhere that this unit be plugged directly into the wall, NOT a strip or other electrical "feed." I actually have it plugged into the APC UPS that I use to keep my cable box from going into a 10-minute reset cycle every time (2-4 times per day) Florida Power has a 1-2 second hiccup. (The UPS also has enough battery to keep these units on for 10-15 minutes in an extended outage, allowing graceful shutdown.) Anyone else do something similar, and is it a problem for the 515 to be powered via a UPS?

I am loving all the info on these Forums, and it has been a lifesaver...

Mr. News
post #14867 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A UPS is not only good, but recommended!

The thing about the power strip was just that people should not turn the Mag off via the power strip on/off switch. These DVDRs need constant standby power.
post #14868 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 04:41 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews View Post
One question for y'all: Someone suggested elsewhere that this unit be plugged directly into the wall, NOT a strip or other electrical "feed." I actually have it plugged into the APC UPS that I use to keep my cable box from going into a 10-minute reset cycle every time (2-4 times per day) Florida Power has a 1-2 second hiccup. (The UPS also has enough battery to keep these units on for 10-15 minutes in an extended outage, allowing graceful shutdown.) Anyone else do something similar, and is it a problem for the 515 to be powered via a UPS?
I also use an APC UPS to supply my TiVo, my router, etc. I think every DVR (and probably every device with a hard drive) should be plugged into a UPS. And if I didn't use a UPS, I would at least use a good surge suppresser. I suspect the nonsense about always plugging DVRs directly into the wall originates from desperate advice given by clueless support drones who have run out of other suggestions.
post #14869 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM

unit won't stop recording once time is set to record. owners manual says to push stop twice and you will get a dialogue box that asks if you want to stop recording. I don't get that dia box and cannot cancel recording until time set is finished. Anyone else have this prob. or am I not doing something right. I've had this Mag 515 about 5 months and I'm quite impressed with it's capabalities, but sometimes there is a repeat show on the series I record and want to cancel the recording. would appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks in advance.
post #14870 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #14871 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Back to the old 24 hour clock. Doubly positive this has nothing to do with the auto clock set. I definitely have it off. I'm just going to live with it as everything else seems fine. I could go to the trouble of mailing it back but you never know what the replacement will be like.

Maybe my unit was supposed to be for the Pentagon.
post #14872 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmc View Post

After reading wajo's manifest, I used the "2-2" method your referring to. Manual - digital and Fox channel 11 for my area. No matter how long I leave the unit powered off. After turning it back on and waiting for 15 seconds max, it sets the clock to the correct time, to within 2 seconds of my atomic clock!

Several days in a row I watched it set the clock with atomic clock in hand just to verify. It never fails.

The only time it might fail is, if I monkey around with the unit before it has time to set the time. 15 seconds is short enough time to wait for correct time setting.

I would love to use your method. I don't know how to tell which of the possible digital subchannels is the one with the good/bad clock. That, plus if you can get the clock set at anytime, why does the unit turn on at noon & midnight? Why is there a test for good time on page one for that? You seem to imply that, with a good clock channel, I can just apply power and my clock will be set anytime. You are so fortunate. My cable feed really sucks.
post #14873 of 25743 Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Back to the old 24 hour clock. Doubly positive this has nothing to do with the auto clock set. I definitely have it off. I'm just going to live with it as everything else seems fine. I could go to the trouble of mailing it back but you never know what the replacement will be like.

Mine occasionally does the same thing. I just go back into the clock settings & manually update the time and it reverts back to the UTC standard 12 hour format again.

MDR515H/F7 Lover/User/Tester
post #14874 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymc777 View Post

Mine occasionally does the same thing. I just go back into the clock settings & manually update the time and it reverts back to the UTC standard 12 hour format again.

UTC, standard, and 12 hour format. I don't think I can arrange those letters to spell America, but I'll try. I'm glad you didn't add Military or Zulu. But I could move to Arizona or Hawaii and not worry about changing time twice a year. I have clocks that have a 12 or 24 hour selection, but none let me change to UTC. Now if I lived in England......

The Mag can convert UTC to Atlantic time, but not UTC or UCT. It's a marketing thing.

Ok, I'm stupid about facts. A little OCD too. Drugs haven't helped.
post #14875 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 2160A would frequently change to 24 hour time (but still show PM). I have never seen the 515H do it. The change back to 12 hour time never happened without external influence, like a power failure or clock set. But it's only a front panel display issue. There are no internal effects or display problems. If Funai would make it an option we could drop this periodic discussion.
post #14876 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 06:57 AM
vmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I would love to use your method. I don't know how to tell which of the possible digital subchannels is the one with the good/bad clock. That, plus if you can get the clock set at anytime, why does the unit turn on at noon & midnight? Why is there a test for good time on page one for that? You seem to imply that, with a good clock channel, I can just apply power and my clock will be set anytime. You are so fortunate. My cable feed really sucks.

I failed to say that I do not have cable service and only use OTA antenna.
Also, I don't think any sub-channels send out any clock signal. On my Fox channel, I use channel "11" only. I haven't tried any of the other broadcast channels - CBS, NBC, ABC. Its been reported that PBS also sends out a clock signal.

I'm a tad bit conservative, so normally I only leave my refrigerator left on at night. Everything else is off. Unless I'm recording a TV show or expect to some time before I awake, I unplug my "515". That's why the auto clock comes in handy. Before I figured out how to use the digital reference, I had to program it myself. If I ever feel the need to record shows on a reoccurring basis, then I'll have to rethink my needs.
post #14877 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmc View Post

I failed to say that I do not have cable service and only use OTA antenna.
Also, I don't think any sub-channels send out any clock signal. On my Fox channel, I use channel "11" only. I haven't tried any of the other broadcast channels - CBS, NBC, ABC. Its been reported that PBS also sends out a clock signal.

I'm a tad bit conservative, so normally I only leave my refrigerator left on at night. Everything else is off. Unless I'm recording a TV show or expect to some time before I awake, I unplug my "515". That's why the auto clock comes in handy. Before I figured out how to use the digital reference, I had to program it myself. If I ever feel the need to record shows on a reoccurring basis, then I'll have to rethink my needs.

So I guess your not in the market for a big UPS?
post #14878 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfniceguy View Post

You mean the 513, right?

nope, bought a 515 from amazon a couple of weeks ago for $219 --I dont think I'd bother with the 513 now (hard to go backward - the pre-recording ability to name titles feature in the 515 is truly great) . Got it in two days. Looks like they still have some. http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR51.../dp/B004PYDE1E
post #14879 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Everyone has gone back to their normal price for the 513 except Walmart... now $178.

post #14880 of 25743 Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it my imagination, or is the 515 a lot quieter when it turns on than the older models? I ran over thinking it hadn't started recording a show I had set it up to timer-record last night, because I didnt hear the clunk clunk clunk of the start up mechanism. This could be handy for those middle of the night reruns!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page