Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 25741 Old 12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Bummer on the inability to selectivly delete .x channels. In my case I have several minor channels that I dont care to have in my scan list, but I do like one of the minors. I have never seen a digital device not be able to selectivly do this, but then again I havent seen everything out there either.

The Philips' primary function is as a recorder. The tuner is just an afterthought in these things - and in all of these 1st generation recorders - that's painfully obvious. They only begrudgingly put them in there as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 25741 Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Chuck44, I think you have the answer, with the scene delete option. It's a different way "than I used to do it", watching the DVD, then pausing the recording device, goes back to my VCR days. In your way, I just play the dvd to the HDD, then watch the HDD later, removing the commecials as they come up.
Not like "I used to do it" but should work just fine. Thanks
post #123 of 25741 Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Chuck44, I think you have the answer, with the scene delete option. It's a different way "than I used to do it", watching the DVD, then pausing the recording device, goes back to my VCR days. In your way, I just play the dvd to the HDD, then watch the HDD later, removing the commecials as they come up.
Not like "I used to do it" but should work just fine. Thanks

jjeff, you are about to discover the other great thing about DVDRs with a HDD. Editing in the HDD is far more precise, far easier, than the old pause/unpause we used on our VCRs. You will never miss a frame you want. You can start the realtime dub before you go to bed, or to work, out shopping, whatever. When you return, you just FF through the HDD recording, and delete what you want!
post #124 of 25741 Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Truthfully, most of my recordings will be direct to the 3575's HDD, but unless I want to be like Wabjxo......and buy several 3575's I will still be recording to DVD on one or more of my collection of Panny's, when several events are on the same time / different channel
post #125 of 25741 Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

GSfromCT, yes as Wabjxo said the 3575 does have rapid play at 1.3x, which is quite intelagable as well as a good picture. A sony player that I have, has .6x up to 1.4x. The 1.4x is a little fast to understand, and on the 1.3x the video is quite jerky. I'm glad the 3575 has the 1.3x and is not jerky. I think it's the fastest a person can speed up the material, and still comprehend whats going on. That said for just faster scanning w/audio, I like my older Panny's which have 2x w/sound. The new EZ series Panny's have cut the sound on the 2x speed.

Originally Posted by Wabjxo: Yes, in fact it has 2 "Rapid Play" speeds with sound: slower (0.8X) and faster (1.3X)... bottom right button on remote.

Its "regular" FF speeds, w/o sound, are 2X, 20X and 40X.

P.S. Has 3 slo-mo speeds also, after pressing Pause: 1/3X, 1/8X and 1/16X fwd, same back except 1/4X instead of 1/3X.

Thanks guys, that is great news indeed! So these rapid play speeds will also have sound while the machine is recording?
If so that is a bonus from my current Pio. In fact I thought I'd be getting a reply that this feature is not possible with the 3575 when instead it sounds like the 3575 does a better job. Cool!
post #126 of 25741 Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132

STANDARD PLAYBACK WITH REMOTE

Jump To:
General Playback Notes
Selecting/Playing/Deleting HDD Titles
Selecting/Playing/Deleting DVD Titles
Playing Commercial Discs/Movies
SKIP/REPLAY
STOP
Resume Playback
Other Notes on Resume Playback
Pause
NEXT and PREV
FF and REW - No Audio
Slo-Mo (No Audio)
Frame Advance
Rapid Play with Audio
HDD Play Priority
DVD Auto-Play
Playing JPG/JPEG Pics, WMA Audio, MP3 Audio Files
TV Overscan and HDMI/DVI Settings Can Affect Playback
+RW DVDs Need MEC to Show Edits on Other Machines
Pauses at Edit Points During Playback
USING YOUR DVDR AS A DVD PLAYER

DVD tray won't open on new or hard-reset unit until it's set up and channels scanned. More info.

All Display menus will be recorded if activated in the player in a 2-unit copy setup.

General Playback Notes

If you're playing a title from either drive and press the OTHER drive button, that Stops the playing title, leaving it in a Resume position which you'll see on screen.

Whenever you get the "no-can-do" slashed-circle when you press the HDD button, odds are that you've got a DVD trying to play or, in the case of a commercial movie, trying to "Continue" play where you last left it, like Titanic does, and you have to PLAY the DVD just to be able to press STOP. Once you STOP a DVD and the screen shows Resume, you'll be able to press the HDD button and it should switch to the HDD.

If you turn this DVDR off then on again, the drive that was selected when you turned off will still be the selected drive, even if you leave a home-made DVD in the tray when it's turned on. It will show Loading on front panel, but if HDD drive is last used, you won't see the Loading progress bar until you switch to the DVD drive.

If you're recording with a timer program and don't see the blue light (3575/3576 only) or display counting rec time, odds are the DVD drive is selected... don't panic, just press the HDD button and light and/or counter should indicate recording is A-OK.

If you're playing HDD titles or a DVD with multiple chapters, the display will count the time of playback, as expected, BUT when playback reaches a chapter mark, the display will change briefly to display "odd" numbers like 1 2 or 1 31 (spaced slightly apart). These are just indicating the title and chapter numbers as they appear in the video at regular intervals, and they're a normal part of the playback display.

CAUTION: While you can load a disc in the DVD tray and push the tray in to close it, THAT'S NOT ADVISED! Better to use the Open/Close button on the front panel or the remote. The drive gear for the open/close function is a plastic wheel with small teeth, as shown here!

Go back to List. ...... Go to main list of help files.

Selecting/Playing/Deleting HDD Titles

HDD Title Menu

To do anything with a HDD title, make sure the HDD drive is selected... press HDD button to be sure. Press TITLE button. Move to (select) each title with the arrow keys or, if lots of titles, you can SKIP page-to-page with the NEXT/PREV buttons.

When you highlight a HDD title, the index pic is activated and it "plays" FROM the actual title with video and audio, but it's NOT actually playing the title in a normal fashion. So, don't be alarmed... you could watch the title from the index pic if you were entranced with it (otherwise, WHY?) and the title will still show that it's never been played. You can't turn this op feature off.

If you press PLAY with a title selected, it will play from the beginning or, if you've already watched part of it, from the Resume point you left it in.

You can also play from the INFO/DISPLAY menu. However, that menu ignores any prior Resume point, starts playing from the beginning, and sets a new Resume point if/when you STOP that playback.

If you press OK with a title selected, a menu opens with all the ops you can perform on that title, as shown below.

Select an action with arrow keys and press OK to:

Resume Playback: Play that title from the Resume point you left it in before.

Play from Start: Play that title from its beginning.

Edit: Open a menu with Edit options for that title. More info on editing HDD titles here.

Title Delete: Delete that title, which leads to a couple of confirmation screens you have to answer "Yes" to cuz the deletion can't be reversed... gone forever. Newer MDR models eliminated the double-dialogs.

Delete Mutliple HDD Titles: Opens Title Menu. Arrow/select each title you want to delete and press OK, which adds a trash can in the upper left corner. When all titles you want to delete have a trash can, press the CLEAR button and answer Yes to the confirmation dialogs. To change your mind on one or more titles, press OK again to delete the trash can on that title.

Delete All HDD TitlesIf you want to delete ALL titles on the HDD at once, use the Setup > HDD Menu > Delete All Titles option.

Dubbing: Don't use this Dubbing menu option since you have no control over the process. Instead, on live TV, press SETUP/MENU button and click OK on "Dubbing" option. You'll now have complete control of the process, as described here.

To exit the HDD Title menu, press the BACK button (3575/3576), RETURN button (2160/513/515/53x/557), or the STOP button on either remote. If you press Title once to show titles, then again to get out of Title menu, the machine will Play the last title left in Resume position. However, if you turn the unit off, then do the same, the Title menu just goes away.

To move from one title in the Title list to another, you have three options:

1. Use the HDD Title menu. Move between titles with arrow keys. Move from page to page with NEXT/PREV buttons.
  2. While playing, use the NEXT and PREV buttons, as described here.
  3. While playing, use the Search feature of the INFO/DISPLAY menu, as described here.

Note: On one occasion, my 3575 came up to the Title screen with no numbers, just "---" and no index pics, just black. I played one of the black titles and it played black. Skipped fwd with chapter button, still black. Went back to live TV and back again to Title screen. All title text and index pics regenerated and titles played normallly. If this happens to you, I think just forcing the Title screen to regenerate will do the job.

Selecting/Playing/Deleting DVD Titles

DVD tray won't open on new or hard-reset unit until it's set up and channels scanned. More info.

Finalized DVD Menu . . . Unfinalized DVD Menu

To do anything with a DVD, insert it in DVD tray and select the DVD drive. A progress bar will show loading (if not, you might have the unit on the HDD drive). Once the bar goes away, press the DISC MENU button. For some discs, the Disc Menu might auto-appear once it loads.

Note: When inserting a disc, make sure it's centered in the round "cradle" area before closing the tray. Move around slightly to make sure it's hits edges of cradle, esp. if your DVDR is high, like mine, and you can't SEE exactly where the disc is!

To move from/to DVD titles, press the Up/Dn arrow keys.

To move from one page of titles to another quickly, press left or right arrow buttons (right-arrow only on page 1, see below), rather than having to scroll thru all the titles on a page.

To play a DVD, select a title's index pic and press either OK or PLAY. Resulting action depends on whether the DVD was created in that brand (Mag or Philips) and whether it's Finalized or not.

Deleting a title can only be done on Unfinalized ±R, -RW or +RW discs. Select title, press OK, select Edit, then select Title Delete. More info on editing DVD titles here.

To exit the DVD Title menu, press STOP or the HDD button.

If you have many titles on a finalized home-made DVD and start play on one title, the remaining titles will auto-play after a still end-frame from the previous title and a slight delay.

For some discs, you can place the disc in the tray (+R is one), leave open, then press PLAY and the disc will auto-play... trial-and-error will show you which disc types, etc. will auto-play this way. (More on Auto-Play below... click here.)

Since the DVD title is a static 1st frame, make sure anything you want to dub to DVD has a "good" 1st frame so you can have a visual ref. for what's in the title, besides the custom title you created (right?), as described here.

Left arrow on page 1, or Up arrow from 1st title, brings up a status screen showing:

• Disc type.
  • Total Titles.
  • Disc Space Used.
  • Disc Protect status.
  • Finalize status.

See Resume Playback below for tips on leaving a DVD in Resume position for later playback.

Playing Commercial Discs/Movies

This DVDR plays back all commercialy produced (pressed) DVDs: single layer, dual-layer (DL), and double-sided (recorded on two side and flippable).

Each and every commercial movie can do something different since they've usually got some play-action designed into them... Titanic remembers where you last played and has a "Continue Movie" option you have to select before you can STOP it... it plays like a home-made DVD just to show that Continue menu.

If you leave a commercial disc in the tray that auto-plays, like Titanic, it will NOT allow you to switch to the HDD until you STOP the DVD playback. This is also true when you're just viewing a DVD Title Menu... it has to PLAY to show you the title or menu option like "Continue Movie." If you don't STOP the DVD, you won't be able to select the HDD normally with the HDD button.

SKIP/REPLAY

The 3575/3576/515/53x/557 have a SKIP/REPLAY rocker button on the remote, and the 2080/2160/513 have small, separate V.SKIP/V.REPLAY buttons, for skipping fwd or going back to replay in increments you can set. It works on the HDD and on both home-made and commercial DVDs (at least all the ones I have).

The default SKIP and REPLAY times are both 30 sec. You can change those times, separately, in the Setup > General Settings > Playback menu to 5, 15, 30 sec, 1 min. or 5 min.

I used to use 1-min. Skip and 30-sec Replay, which worked well for me. However, I've changed to 1-min. Skip and 15-sec Replay, which works even better.

The 1-min./15-sec combo seems to provide close coordination with how today's commercials are run... lots of 3- or 4- min commercial breaks wtih some adding promos, which suits the 15-sec Replay nicely. Even pressing the Replay button several times helps get closer to a show's restart than the 30-sec Replay.

The time it takes to complete a SKIP/REPLAY (S/R) move during playback varies by machine and by drive being played. I tested S/R in my 3575 and 2160 on the HDD, on an unfinalized DVD-R, and on a finalized -RW. S/R times on all HDDs is less than 1 sec. S/R times on DVD in a 357x are 4-6 sec and 3-4 sec in a 2160/513/515/53x/557.

I also tested to see if SKIP was at all related to rec mode... it isn't.

STOP

The STOP button works differently depending on the DVDR model and the activity at the time.

During PLAYBACK and MANUAL RECORDING
During Playback and Manual Recording (pressing the rec button), one press of the STOP button on the remote for these DVDRs stops the playback drive and the recording drive when that drive is active or selected. When playing a DVD and simultaneously recording manually on the HDD, you can STOP each activity by selecting that drive and pressing STOP once.

During DUBBING
To STOP a dub on the 3575/3576, the STOP button on the remote does nothing... you have to press the STOP button on the 3575/3576 front panel. On the 2160/513/515/53x/557, the reverse is true: you can stop a dub by pressing and holding the STOP button on the remote for 2 sec., but the STOP button on the front panel only stops playback, not a dub.

During TIMER RECORDING
The STOP button on the 3575/3576 will STOP a timer rec with one press, which is dangerous while simultaneously playing something from the HDD (but not from a DVD since that drive is the active drive). Pressing STOP once stops the HDD playback and pressing STOP a 2nd time will stop the HDD timer rec. On the 2160/513/515/53x/557, you have to hold the STOP button down for at least 2 sec to stop a HDD timer rec., regardless of other play activity.

When Resuming after a playback STOP, the video "rewinds" ~3 sec, so a short portion will be replayed, assuring that you won't miss even a syllable.

One other "neat" way to stop playback on these DVDRs WITHOUT affecting a simultaneous recording is to use the HDD and DVD drive buttons. Switching between these while playing a title and simul-recording stops ONLY the playback, leaving it in Resume position... recording continues unless you then press STOP. This works the same for both drives and is safer than using the STOP button while recording, esp. on the 3575/3576, since the drive buttons are far removed from the pesky STOP button (less chance of an accident).

Resume Playback

This DVDR remembers the last play position for all titles on the HDD.

I tested 12 HDD titles and several home-made and commercial DVDs for Resume Play thru multiple viewing sessions, DVD ejections, and multiple on/off cycles. There are different Resume playback reactions depending on what you are playing, as described below.

The "big secret" in all is to use the PLAY button whenever possible.

HDD Titles: If you press OK on a selected HDD title, you'll be able to select two menu options for starting playback: Play from Start or Resume Playback.

However, if you press PLAY (not OK) on any selected HDD title, you can resume playback from last play position, even if you've pressed STOP multiple times to stop playback... the title starts playing from where you left it, or from the beginning if it's "New" (never been played).

Home-Made DVDs: This DVDR does NOT remember the playback position of ALL titles on a home-made DVD, only the last title played and (1) as long as the DVD isn't ejected and (2) you don't use the Disc Menu to resume play.

Resuming play on DVDs is DIFFERENT than HDD titles...to Resume play on the last DVD title played, select the DVD drive and press PLAY... DO NOT USE THE DISC MENU cuz pressing PLAY in that menu plays from start. After ejecting, all home-made DVDs lose their play position. (If the Disc Menu auto-opens, close it with the Disc Menu button.)

Commercial DVDs: This DVDR remembers play position of commercial DVDs, even thru multiple on/off cycles, as long as the DVD isn't ejected.* After shutoff and restart with the DVD still in the tray and fully loaded, select the DVD drive and press PLAY. Going to the main menu and selecting an option might mess up the resume function, depending on the operating design of the DVD?

*After ejecting, commercial DVDs can be a mixed-bag cuz most have their own built-in playback options... YMMV. For example, "Titanic" has a "Continue Movie" option that remembers playback position even after the DVD is ejected... just press PLAY on its Continue menu or select the DVD drive and press PLAY. "Michael" loses playback position if it's ejected.

Other Notes on Resume Playback

Here are some other notes on Resume Playback on both the HDD and a DVD and their ability to retain playback memory:

1. Using the INFO/DISPLAY menu to play titles always starts them from the beginning.
  2. Switching from DVD or HDD, or vice versa, and playing something from the other drive still leaves all HDD titles and the last-played DVD title (still in tray) in their Resume positions, even after turning this DVDR off with either drive selected at that time.
  3. No way to shake the Resume positions loose except pressing STOP twice on the last title (there's an "odd" relationship, most will Resume even after two STOPs), removing a DVD, or pressing OK or PLAY on a DVD's Disc Menu.
  4. The INFO/DISPLAY menu will show the Resume status of each title on the HDD or DVD when that drive is selected. Those left in Resume position will show "Resume On" in lower left corner of screen.

Pause

The PAUSE (||) button is somewhat unusual on this DVDR. It can Pause a playback or manual recording, like most, but it doesn't set a chapter mark there, AND you can change channels while paused. Press Pause again to restart playback or manual recording. (Doesn't work on Timer Recording.)

Play-Pause: Pressing Pause during playback will hold a still pic on screen for ~30 min., then it releases to whatever channel the TV is tuned to. Press PLAY to restart from where you Paused.

Rec-Pause: You can Pause a manual recording (where you press the REC button), if desired. Press Pause again to continue recording. Rec Pause can be held for only 10 minutes cuz the encoder is engaged, after which you'll prob. get an E10 error.

If you want to " babysit" a live recording, you can cut commercials with the PAUSE button (press PAUSE at start of commercial and again at end). However, there won't be any chapter points set there like there would be if you recorded the entire program w/o pauses, then edited the commercials out on the HDD with Scene Delete, Mid-Cut, as described here.

2160/513/515/53x/557: Pressing PAUSE while watching live TV will Pause Live TV and give you access to the accumulated buffer created by Autostart Recording, as described here.

My wife uses Pause so she can read subtitles when people are speaking a foreign language (like in "Fringe"). Pause gives a clear still pic, then press Play to continue.

NEXT and PREV

During playback, the NEXT and PREV buttons move from one Chapter to another, or from one Title to another if pressed while playing Chapter 1 or the last Chapter of a Title. Chapter moves on the HDD trake ~1-sec but ~3-sec on a DVD.

You can accumulate NEXT and PREV moves by pressing those buttons in rapid succession. This is the only button that can accumulate moves.

You can ALSO press NEXT/PREV to move from one TITLE to another. To move to next title, press NEXT multiple times until the next Title starts to play. To go back from one Title to the previous Title, press PREV button twice while playing Chapter 1 (i.e., PREV-PREV to move to Chapter 1 then to previous Title).

You can also move from page-to-page in the Title menu with NEXT/PREV buttons (so you don't have to go from Title to Title with the arrow keys).

FF and REW - No Audio

During playback, press FF button:
1x = 2X
2x = 20X
3x = 40X
PLAY to exit.

During playback, press REW button:
1x = 5X
2x = 20X
3x = 40X
PLAY to exit.

Slo-Mo - No Audio

Forward Slo-Mo: During playback, press PAUSE, then FF button 1-3 times:
1x = 1/3X
2x = 1/8X
3x = 1/16X

PAUSE to stop & repeat - go backward with REW button (see below).
PLAY to exit.

Backward Slo-Mo: During playback, press PAUSE, then REW button 1-3 times:
1x = 1/4X
2x = 1/8X
3x = 1/16X

PAUSE to stop & repeat - go forward with FF button (see above).
PLAY to exit.

Frame Advance (1 Frame at a Time)

During playback, press PAUSE, then NEXT button to move 1 frame forward, or PREV button to move 1 frame back. Keep pressing for more frames. Press PLAY to exit.

Rapid Play - with Audio

During playback, press RAPID PLAY button:

1x = 0.8X (slower than normal)
2x = 1.3X (faster than normal)
3x = Back to normal play.

Full audio with Rapid Play speeds can be used during normal playback and even in the following watch/record combinations:

1. For watching a recorded HDD title while recording a new program.
  2. For Chase Playing a program currently being recorded.

Slow/fast audio continues after the jump moves, SKIP, REPLAY, PREV, NEXT, but mutes during FF/REW.

HDD Play Priority

Pressing the PLAY button "in the open" (just watching TV and not selecting a Title) has this play priority, which persists even after turning the unit off and back on again:

1. Whatever's recording (starts Chase Play).
  2. Last title left in Resume position.
  3. Last title recorded.
Pressing STOP twice on a 3575/3576 serves no useful purpose, ever! See "Using the Stop Button" above.

DVD Auto-Play

This DVDR and some others will auto-play finalized DVD+R discs if you place the disc in the tray and don't close it but, instead, SELECT DVD DRIVE, then press PLAY. This'll close the tray, load the disc, and play title 1 from start. Manually closing the disc tray will just display a +R's disc type/info then sit there with blank screen, waiting for a command. (Won't work if you don't select DVD drive before pressing PLAY!)

Unfinalized DVD+Rs and finalized or unfinalized DVD-Rs don't like this auto-play trick.

You should try the Insert-Play method on your DVDRs and different disc types to see which ones auto-play for you. If giving discs to others who also like auto-play, use DVD+Rs or just tell them to try the Insert-Play method on their DVDRs... unless they like menus. Just tell them to NOT close the disc tray manually, use the PLAY button instead.

Don't know anything about players. (Had to add this after I gave someone this info, then he said it didn't work on his BrandX PLAYER!)

Commercial discs are a mixed bag... some can be auto-played but most only play to an option-selection menu, e.g., "Michael" auto-plays with this method but "Erin Brokovich" doesn't. YMMV.

Playing JPG/JPEG Pics, WMA Audio, MP3 Audio Files

There are playback-option menus in both the INFO/DISPLAY menu and the Setup menu, depending on the media loaded or playing at the time. Load source to activate menus for that source and check both places to see if the desired playback option is available.

You can display your JPG/JPEG photos (non-progressive scan) and play back your Windows Media Audio (WMA) or MP3 music files thru the CD or USB port in the 357x, and on CD or DVD in the 2160/513/515/53x/557. DVD play is an undocumented feature on the 2160/513/515/53x/557. Some instructions and tips are on pp 67-68 of the manual.

If your camera/camcorder can play its contents via DV, composite or S-Video cables, this DVDR can record that just like copying a VCR tape.

My camera takes both video and stills and plays them back in an automated fashion where I just select Play All Movies or All Pics. JPG/JPEGs play back in an automated Slideshow, drawing each on screen then remaining displayed for a certain time. I start playing then hit REC on my 3575. I do my video first, then after the last video plays, I PAUSE the 3575, then set the still pics playing and continue REC so I have both in one title. I dub the title(s) to DVD in high-speed.

Videos can't be viewed thru the 357x USB input but, for viewing JPG/JPEGs, I use a USB stick. Insert USB device, then select the USB external input, which starts the loading process. Once loaded, you click OK on a the 1st pic in a series/folder and this DVDR starts playing a slideshow, its default playback mode. You can set the display time at either 5 or 10 sec... the default is 5 sec, but I've found that setting in mny 3575 produces almost double the display time, or ~8 sec, and selecting 10 sec displays for ~18 sec. This excludes the draw time, which varies by file size.... this DVDR draws my ~1200K JPG/JPEGs in ~2-3 sec. and ~2500K JPG/JPEGs in ~8-10 sec. I believe the 2160/513/515/53x/557 is a little faster?

Once a slideshow starts, you can also CONTROL the playback like a video by using the playback controls to pause, skip fwd/rev, rotate, etc.

Even the Resume function works like it does with video: press STOP, screen clears, leave USB device in place, come back, press PLAY and it starts with last pic on screen.

TV Overscan and HDMI/DVI Settings Can Affect Playback

If you notice some "odd" playback issues with video or JPG/JPEG pics, it could be caused by the TV's Overscan function (if using HDMI) or the TV's DVI setting (if using DVI).

Overscan - When using HDMI input on your TV, and you notice poor quality or clipping of JPG/JPEG pics (5-10%) from all sides, it could be caused by your TV's Overscan function. You should look for "Overscan" in your TV menus and turn it OFF to see if it helps.

In this post (and thread), edDV explains it this way: "What you are seeing with loss around the edges is overscan. Most analog component and HDMI inputs have overscan. Most "PC/Game" ports (usually VGA) don't overscan and some TV makers allow turning off overscan on the HDMI port (e.g. Samsung's "Just Scan" feature)."

DVI Setting -If you're using the TV's DVI input, you'll first need to set this DVDR to RGB and NOT YCbCr. Also, look for a DVI setting in your TV and turn it ON. Some TVs, like mine, don't have a specific "setting" for DVI but instruct you to use a specific HDMI input... HDMI-2 for my Vizio 47" 1080p LCD. With DVI, you'll need separate L/R audio cables as well, which connect right next to the HDMI-DVI HDMI-2 input on my TV.

Odd Aspect on Pics - When I view MY JPG/JPEG pics via HDMI connection, my DVDR aspect setting reacts the OPPOSITE of what I expect, i.e., if I set my 3575 for 16:9 Wide, pics show up normal 4:3 (the camera format), but setting the 3575 to 4:3 LB displays a stretched 4:3 pic, full-screen and w/o LB bars... all with my LCD TV set for Wide!?

Pic Movement on Video - When I view video via HDMI connection, my Vizio LCDs will show a fuller-screen pic on 480p or 720p, but "squeeze" the pic slightly on 1080i or 1080p. In other words, changing to 1080i or 1080p moves the edges inward and upward, so I see a banner at the bottom of the pic in diff. positions depending on the HDMI output format.

You'll have to play with your DVDR AND TV settings to get the best combo for your system.

+RW DVDs Need MEC to Show Edits on Other Machines

If you have trouble playing +RW discs on any other machine, you must use the Disc Edit > Make Edits Compatible (MEC) function on that disc to assure that they can play that disc and show all the edits you made.

Hillneerg posted a reply on VideoHelp.com that he recv'd from a Panasonic UK tech on playing +RW discs. The message is that +RW discs, while not needing "Finalizing" as we know it, DO need "Make Edits Compatible" (MEC) activated in the Disc Edit menu by the machine that created the disc.

The UK tech explains that +RW discs need the top menu created, which is what the MEC function does. MEC also assures that any editing changes, like chapter edits, show up on those other machines.

I think it also needs MEC after new changes to a +RW disc so it rebuilds the top menu again, and shows all editing changes, on Video-mode machines, or even other +VR brands?

I ass-u-me this also applies to U.S. Panasonics and other video-mode DVDRs?

Pauses at Edit Points During Playback

When playing HDD titles, or DVDs created with high-speed dub (HSD), Scene Deletes can cause a very slight delay at each edit point.... more noticeable on DVDs than on HDD titles. (Chapters don't cause delays.)

The delay is caused by the MPEG decoder running into missing frame(s) made by our deletes.

Our encoder creates video in multi-frame Groups of Pictures (GOP) typically consisting of 1 real compressed "key" frame followed by a varying number of virtual (2-10% of key) frames that are predicted in backward/forward-looking relation to key frames.

That is, ALL the frames in our videos are inter-dependent and created with just a few digital bits and a motion vector that predicts movement.

When we cut a scene, it changes the inter-related flow of pics, essentially butting unrelated MPEG code together. The "predicted" pics and movement created by the encoder are GONE, so the decoder that has to read the encode takes a split sec to understand the "odd" transition and present the pics!

Also, our DVDRs are 1-shot wonders, so they only get one chance at encoding and decoding. More robust video systems can create NEW key frames and pic transitions if needed and even make two or more passes at doing so.

As this highly technical article explains the normal flow of pics: "The MPEG encoder reorders the pictures in the video stream to present the pictures to the decoder in the most efficient sequence." And THIS is what we screw up when we interrupt the neatly encoded picture sequence!

DVDs created with real-time dub (RTD) don't exhibit this behavior cuz it re-encodes ALL the frames, including those at edit points.

post #127 of 25741 Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Tuning Channels... "Hybrid" Tuner...  Cable Channels... Cableco Lie Factor

Jump To:
FAQ
Tuning Channels with this DVDR's "Hybrid" Tuner
Surfing Analog and Digital Channels
Tips for Faster Surfing
OTA-ATSC Channels
Rotating Antenna
Cable Channels

"Lie" Gene Found in Cableco DNA
How Virtualized Cable-QAM Channels Can Cause "Oddities" in Tuning
Cable "ON-DEMAND" Channels
"Switched Digital Video" Being Rolled Out by Cablecos

FAQ

Here are answers to some regular questions people have:

1. Can this DVDR record more than one channel at a time? No. It has a single tuner, so it can record only one channel or line input at a time, altho you can watch one channel on your TV while it's recording a different channel. (Channels and line inputs are mutually exclusive... they're both in the tuner up/dn sequence as separate Sources.)

2. Does it pick up multi-day channel schedules or have a TVGOS system? No.

3. Can it record premium (paid) channels? Yes and maybe. Many people can record HBO and other premium channels they pay for in their normal monthly subscription fee and MAYBE some PPV or on-demand "extra-cost" programs, which are often, but not always, scrambled... depends on your service provider. You MAY even see some of your neighbors' PPV/On-Demand programs... see "On-Demand" discussion below.

4. What tuners does this DVDR have? This DVDR has an analog/NTSC tuner for the old ANALOG channels 1-125 delivered today only by Cable TV, and a digital tuner for the new 2007-mandated DIGITAL channels delivered OTA (ATSC std) and by Cable TV (QAM std, as described in this Wiki entry). Satellite subscribers need a proprietary receiver to tune their sat-delivered signals, so the std DVDR or TV can't tune those signals independently.

5. QAM tuner is not listed in the literature. Does it really have a QAM tuner? Yes. The Wiki link above (FAQ #4) describes one reason why QAM tuners are not mentioned prominently in the literature. Besides me telling you all my Philips and Mag units tune my cableco's QAM channels, even better "proof" is this post on a test of the 3576 for potential use in a Los Angeles city emergency response system, where it had to tune all 135 digital channels in its QAM tuner from a "mixed bag" of sources delivered over a std RG6 coax. No one has EVER reported any other DVDR having its entire QAM channel spectrum field-tested successfully like the 3576.

6. Since this DVDR has only 135 digital channels, will I be able to receive my cableco's higher-numbered channels? This DVDR's tuner re-maps cable channels to its own numbering system, as explained below. It should tune at least (by FCC Rule) all the local networks, any other channels you could receive if you used an antenna, and possibly more. I receive 33 DTV channels in my Broadcast Basic cable sub. w/o a box: the 4 national networks, ABC-HD, CBS-HD, Fox-HD and NBC-HD, which provide 100% of my daily recording, plus 29 others incl. 2 ea. ESPN-HD, TBS-HD, TNT-HD, DISC-HD, Fuse-HD, etc... and I'm NOT an unusual case! In fact some people get way more good channels than I do. See this section for more detailed info.

BE ADVISED: this DVDR can serve as your Digital Converter Box like those in the govt-coupon program, except do it WAY better with all sorts of extra features compared to those boxes being sold today... you won't need a converter box wherever you have this DVDR!

Tuning Channels with this DVDR's "Hybrid" Tuner

Finding a Cabelco's "Higher-Numbered" Channels in Your DVDR's Analog and Digital Tuners

Your cable company wants you to rent one of their boxes so they place many channels on higher ("virtual") numbers, above the 1-125 analog and 1-135 digital channels in your HDTV's or this DVDR's tuner. However, this DVDR will tune those channels, if they're not scrambled, by remapping the virtual channels to "physical" numbers within the tuner's 125/135 range.

This Silicon Dust website should help find your channel relationships. Enter zip code, then select the source (cableco) above the list to see their "virtual" channel numbers and the physical locations on a HDTV's or DVDR's 125/135 channel range. Tune to the physical channel numbers by direct entry (no CH+/-) and check STATION AND CONTENT to make sure each physical channel is what you expect. You may even have to ADD a physical channel using the Manual Channel Preset menu if your Auto scan missed it so you can use CH+/- to surf to it?

If you have "missing" or black channels or other odd tuning problem, see this help file for possible solutions.

If you have a TV with digital tuner, this DVDR should be able to tune the same channel content (network, station, show) as your TV, but each may put that content in different physical channel slots/numbers. If you don't have a digital TV, this DVDR should still be able to tune any analog or digital content you receive OTA or "in-the-clear" (not scrambled) from cable.

However, remember that the physical channel numbers that content appears on may be different.... my Timer Warner digital cable channels started with content on same main ch. numbers but, after several corp. sales, our new Charter channels are on different main channel numbers.like most of the country. Subchannel numbers will also be diff. regardless, due to the diff. in tuner types. (All channels will be "mapped" to this DVDR's, and your HDTV's, 125 channel analog tuner and 135-channel digital scheme, as explained in the box above. Also, STBs and some HDTVs can show more than 2 digits in a digital subchannel, but this DVDR only shows 2, up to XXX.99.)

Your HDTV most likely has a "combo" or "integrated" tuner that can tune both analog and digital physical channels in numerical sequence using only the channel up/dn button... no "switches" or other user interaction required. This DVDR has a "switch," the DTV/TV button, to switch between the analog and digital tuners.

With a modern HDTV, you can also add or delete specific digital subchannels, like 84.2, while this DVDR tunes an entire group of subchannels and you can't delete a specific subchannel within that group. This DVDR also can't delete a digital channel until you've done at least one successful full channel scan (125 analog and 135 digital channels).

Analog channels will have numbers without any dots or dashes after the main number, e.g., 3, 4, 5, etc. Digital channels will have a main channel number followed by a DASH (on HDTVs) or a dot (on this DVDR).

This DVDR will display ANALOG channels quickly, but when you switch to the DIGITAL tuner with the DTV/TV button, it displays channels more slowly since digital is broadcast in macroblocks which have to be deblocked by this DVDR and your TV for display. Some tips on faster surfing of digital channels are given below.

Remember, this DVDR should still tune all the DTV (digital) channel content that a typical HDTV can without a set-top box (STB), except it will "remap" DTV channels to suit its own channel.subchannel numbering scheme, ranging from 1. 1 thru 135.99.

Surfing Analog and Digital Channels

You can move from channel to channel (surf) with direct entry (with the number buttons) or with the CH+/- buttons. This DVDR can surf ANALOG channels like any other DVDR or TV with no noticeable delay beyond "normal-normal."

To go to any digital (DTV) channel's first viable (tunable) subchannel, enter the primary number directly (with the number keys), e.g., 78. That will go to the FIRST tunable subchannel, which can be 78.1, 78.2, 78.6, etc.

All DVDRs take slightly longer to surf thru their DIGITAL channels due to the extra "deblocking" time required to create the picture... digital channels are broadcast in macroblocks (small block of data) that have to be reassembled for viewing. Some other DVDRs are "painfully" slow (~3-5 sec each) so their users say they don't watch normal TV thru their DVDR for just that reason.

Surfing DIGITAL channels in THIS DVDR is NOT "painfully" slow but it does take ~2 sec per channel on first tuning them, then ~1-1/2 sec on 2nd run thru.

Since you CAN'T delete an individual digital subchannel in this DVDR w/o deleting the entire group, you'll sometimes have to surf THRU some channels you might not want to watch or even be in channel memory.

There's NO alternate channel button on any of the remotes.

Tips for Faster Surfing

Direct-Entering Digital Channels w/o the Period.

Digital channels can have a max. of 3-digits for the primary channel and 2-digits for the subchannel, separated by a period, e.g., XXX.XX. Single subchannel numbers will have a space between the period and the number since there are 2 digits designated in the subchannel numbering scheme. You can use this structure to enter a complete digital channel set without using the period, as described in the following examples.

1. To go to any digital (DTV) channel's first viable (tunable) subchannel, enter the primary number directly (with the number keys), e.g., 78. That will go to the FIRST tunable subchannel, which can be 78.1, 78.2, 78.6, etc.

2. For subchannels of a 1-digit primary channel 1 thru 9, enter 012 for 1.2 or 0912 for 9.12.

3. For subchannels of a 2-digit primary channel 10 thru 13, you must use the period, like 10.3 for 10.3 or 13.2 for 13.2 (since there are also 3-digit digital channels 100 thru 135 that start with the same numbers).

4. For subchannels of a 2-digit primary channel 14 thru 99, enter 143 for 14.3 or 9913 for 99.13 (no period needed since there are no 3-digit channels starting with 14 thru 99).

5. For subchannels of a 3-digit primary channel 100 thru 135, enter 1069 for 106.9 or 13513 for 135.13.

Surfing with the CH+/- Button

You can SKIP BY undesired digital channels faster by holding the rocker button down. If you just press the CH +/- button for each move, it sometimes starts tuning and locks out another channel move for an additional few sec. By holding the CH +/- button down, I can surf thru 10 digital channels in ~15 sec.

If you get into the Sources (E1/L1, etc.) and want out fast, just enter a channel number with the number keys.

You can also use the number keys 001 and 002 to select E1/E2 or L1/L2... more direct and faster from one to the other than the Source or CH+/- buttons.

OTA-ATSC Channels

This DVDR's Analog and ATSC (digital OTA) tuners can tune any OTA channels broadcast in your local area and picked up by your antenna. The OTA analog channels are the ones that disappeared in Feb 2009 with the "digital transition." The OTA digital channels, including HDTV, continue to be broadcast.

Here's a Wiki article about the ATSC (digital) OTA broadcast standard.

With an antenna and good reception, you can expect to see the very best quality from digital/HD channels available with this DVDR from any TV service.

You can tell in advance what OTA digital/ATSC channels you can receive on this DVDR if you have an antenna, of course, and a TV with a digital tuner or an analog TV with one of the new digital converter boxes offered in the govt coupon program. Whatever digital channels the digital TV or the converter box can tune should also be tunable by this DVDR, maybe more depending on the quality of the tuner in the TV or box.

Check here for actual channels other OTA antenna users receive in YOUR locale. Check the FIRST PAGE of the thread for your locale to see if someone on that page posted a list and maintains it as people post new info. However, you can't always believe what a website shows re: the theoretical reception in your locals... this user believed their "no reception" finding for YEARS until he was forced by Comcast to actually try an antenna... another great example of theories are great but actual experience is greater.

One user with a rotating antenna receives more channels than his TV can pick up and one channel 100 miles from his Arkansas home, as described in the link under the next heading.

Another user in So. Calif. receives 196 channels with an antenna pointing out his patio window.

Rotating Antenna

If you use a rotating OTA antenna, you CAN tune channels in several directions with this DVDR by first doing an Auto Channel Preset in your primary position, then one or more Manual Channel Presets in other antenna positions. You need the first auto-scan to allow subsequent manual additions.

Here's a post on how one user, Arkyman, accomplished his multi-position channel scan.

Cable Channels... What You Can Expect

Bottom Line on What to Expect:

Tuning, No Cable Box - If you have a HDTV with digital tuner and NO cable box, this DVDR will tune the same analog and digital channels you get now, altho the digital channel numbering might be in a diff. format (TV 86-xxx vs DVDR 86.x) or the cableco's high channel numbers mapped to this DVDRs 1-135 digital channels..

Tuning with Cable Box - If you have a HDTV with digital tuner and a cable box, disconnect the incoming cable coax from the box, connect it to your HDTV, and scan for channels in it. This DVDR will tune the same channels your HDTV can tune. Scrambled channels this DVDR can't tune can be recorded thru a line input from the box.

Recording - Most people report their DVDR can tune and record Premium channels they pay for in their sub., and many also report they can record PPV/VOD (extra-cost) channels... it depends on your cableco.

Search this thread for your locale and the actual channels other cable subs receive there.

FCC Rules for cable TV have been changing drastically!

Awhile ago, we were "guaranteed" to be able to tune local channels without any extra equipment beyond a TV with analog and digital tuners. Today, the FCC says that, if a cable system goes "all-digital," they can encrypt (scramble) ALL their channels. They may offer "free" or low-cost-rental boxes to decrypt their signal, but these will be "dumb-as-a-rock" boxes.

The best review I've found of today's situation is this Mar 11, 2013 Hometheaterreview.com article, which includes a link to the current FCC Rule.

So, you could see the all-digital switcheroo where you live, esp. if Comcast has its hands around your throat wallet, so they can legally claim that you need one of their boxes (free POS or rentable full-featured box). However, NEVER take the word of a cableco rep since they have a hard time telling the truth... in the early days, they told people with new recorders that they wouldn't be able to see ANY channels w/o their rental box! ALWAYS try connecting your incoming cable direct to an analog/digital-tunered HDTV and scan for channels in it before signing a surrender rental agreement.

In my Southeastern non-metro area, I subscribe to basic cable, which would normally give me only 56 analog channels thru my analog tuner. However, I also get 33 digital/HD channels remapped from my cableco's higher-numbered channels: the local digital versions of ABC-HD, CBS-HD, NBC-HD, and FOX-HD... which carry 99% of what I record with my Philips 3575's and Mag 2160 on a daily basis... plus CW, My68, DISC-HD, TNT-HD, TBS-HD, THiS-HD, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, etc.... AND I WOULDN'T TRADE ANY OF MY DIGITAL CHANNELS FOR ANOTHER 56 ANALOG CHANNELS!

Some people get 80-100 or more digital channels (one example here). Different areas of the U.S. can expect to tune a similar, unscrambled digital channel lineup. A lot depends on area and service provider, so there are no hard-and-fast rules or expectations.

Most or all cablecos also have "premium" channels that are included in your basic monthly service fee, and these are not usually scrambled so they're recordable by line connection to the cable box (STB). They also have Pay-per-View (PPV) or other "On-Demand" programs you pay extra for (i.e., not included in your monthly service fee), and some (not all) cablecos DO scramble those so they're only recordable thru the cableco's STB.

One way to know in advance how many cable-QAM channels you might be able to tune with this DVDR is if you have a TV with a digital QAM tuner. Whatever the TV tunes this DVDR should also tune. If no digital TV, you'll have to ask a neighbor or buy this DVDR and do a channel scan, so it pays to get it from a local Wal-Mart or Sams or other place where return is easy and assured.

The digital channels broadcast in 16:9 widescreen (WS), altho not all programs were produced in WS so they'll be "packaged" with black bars to fill up a 16:9 screen. For example, "Idol" is broadcast in natural HD WS but many commercials are still produced in 4:3 so they appear with bars. Prime Time programs are *always* produced and broadcast in glorious 16:9 WS... CSI Miami is just BRILLIANT!

"Lie" Gene Found in Cableco DNA

Cable companies have a LIE gene in their DNA!

In the early DVDR days, MANY newbies came to AVS Forum to ask if what they heard from their cablecos was true or not. Cablecos were telling their subscribers that they wouldn't be able to tune or record ANYTHING without one of their rental boxes! Patently false, of course, but they just couldn't overcome the influence of their DNA.

The Panny-fan hatemongers and Tivo-fan salesmen here (the "Axis of Evil") will tell you that "all cable companies are in the process of scrambling all their channels, so your cable-QAM tuner will be uselss." NOT QUITE TRUE!

The FCC passed a Rule recently that allows cablecos who convert their systems to all-digital to scramble all their channels. Comcast is the most aggressive in using this FCC Rule that they fought so hard for.

Nevertheless, DON'T BELIEVE YOUR CABLECO OR ANYONE WHO'S NOT YOUR NEIGHBOR, even if they have the same cableco! They can tell you what THEY get (if they're truthful), but they don't know $hit about what you might get! It seems to be beyond their comprehension that YOU might get something different than THEY do! TEST AND VERIFY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE!

This is especially true if you suddenly lose channels you had before... something I call "Hide-the-Channel (HTC) Games," one of their favorite pass-times! Consider the possibility that they want to up-sell existing subscribers to their STB rental program! RESCAN YOUR TV AND DVDR... that's how YOU should play the HTC Game!

Here's one person's experience with a vile cable game that hides ALL your channels... a rogue installer who puts a blocking filter on all your previously good QAM channels, surely just a "mistake" and not their attempt to rent another thousand boxes or so in your neighborhood!? :rolleyes:

Rather than having to believe me or anyone else, here's a fool-proof way you can tell what this DVDR will be able to tune and record at the CURRENT time in YOUR locale: Connect your incoming cable coax directly to your TV, scan for channels, and see what you get. Whatever your TV gets is what this DVDR will get today. If your TV has an analog AND digital tuner, that will prove the "totality" of what you'll be able to record without a cable box.

If your TV has only an analog tuner, you won't know in advance if there are any digital channels you might also be able to tune, unless you ask your neighbor who has a digital tunered TV and doesn't use a cable box. He might even be neighborly enough to do the direct-coax-to-TV test for you!?

It's amazing, but I run across people regularly who have several costly cable boxes in their system and they've NEVER tried connecting directly to their HDTV and scanning for channels to see what they get without the boxes... they believed their cableco! Many of them are also amazed after that simple test!

If your cableco tells you they're going "all-digital" and you'll need one of their "scramble boxes," don't do ANYTHING:

1. Don't call them. Businesses today can I.D. your account just by your tel number.

2. Don't pick up any "free" boxes they're offering. Also identifies your account.

They may give you only a certain time period to pick up your "free" boxes. What a great way to force you into a quick, "uninformed" decision, hopefully before you hear about or find out yourself what they're really up to!

Since the all-digital switch allows cablecos to identify individual subscribers so they don't even have to roll a truck to turn your cable on or off, they'll also be able to do other things to you directly, like flag your account as one having a "scramble box."

DO NOT PICK UP ANY BOXES, AND DON'T LET A FAMILY MEMBER END-RUN YOU ON THIS! Picking up a box will I.D. your account as a subscriber who has a box, so it might be too late then!

You'll have some time pick up your free boxes within your cableco's stated time period. After the stated encryption date, test your signal by connecting directly to your analog/digital-tunered TV or DVDR, scan for channels and, with NO cableco boxes on the coax anywhere, see for yourself what you can tune.

In summary, don't give up the fight until you've thoroughly tested the LIE factor! Your only options then are:

1. Place this DVDR on the coax behind the box, which makes it a "slave" to the box but at least allows you to record whatever channel the box is tuned to, as described here. You'll have to set this DVDR on ch. 3 or 4, and leave it there, and set timers for that channel. Check your box for a REC feature or record simultaneously with the DVR if your box has one, as described here.
  2. Switch to OTA antenna (see what channels are on your local airwaves). However, even here, don't believe what any website shows as to your "theoretical" channels in your locale... this user believed their "no reception" finding for YEARS until he was forced by Comcast to actually try an antenna... another great example of theories are great but actual experience is greater.
  3. Switch to Satellite (DishTV or DirecTV).
  4. Get the cableco's #@*&%* box and pay them their enslavement fee. A rented cableco DVR might be your best option since it seamlessly integrates with your existing cable system and you can just trade it in if it dies or a better DVR comes along. You can then use your DVDR to record from the STB and copy from the DVR, or to view/record OTA channels with an indoor or outdoor antenna at your main TV or one of your other TVs scattered throughout your home.
  5. Get a Tivo w/rented cablecard. (However, see this before you go this route.)

Please don't be discouraged by our resident boo-birds no matter how mightily they try to discourage you or how "helpful" they sound. They aren't psychics or fortune tellers and they don't know jack about current conditions in your locale, much less what the future holds for you.. unless they happen to be your neighbor... and they're a bona-fide fortune-teller... or their name is Nostradmus!

My bottom-line advice: Grow a pair and think for yourself!

If you think these DVDRs might be what you need, but aren't sure, buy from a seller with an easy return policy, like Walmart.com where you'll have 90 days to return it to the nearest store. If it doesn't work for you, it'll make an outstanding "refurb" for someone else!

How Virtualized Cable-QAM Channels Can Cause "Oddities" in Tuning (Thanks to Sydyen for This)

If your timed recording Titles are black, and Display/Info titling information shows that you have recorded the correct channel at the correct time, the information here very likely applies to you.

If your timed recording Titles turn black during playback, the tuner lost lock when it was recording because the PSIP data being transmitted changed, and the recorder could not re-tune successfully. The problem is not unique to these recorders, it affects some TVs and other ATSC/QAM devices as well (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18132273).

There is a workaround to timer record if CH+/- will force a lock: set your timer for that program WHILE YOUR DVDR IS SHOWING AN ACTUAL PICTURE FOR THAT CHANNEL. Do not perform any other action except watching a previously recorded Title (and if Power Off occurs automatically you are out of luck).

The objective of defining Virtual Channels in the digital transmission standard was to allow OTA stations to retain the same primary channel number they had broadcast with under VHF/UHF e.g. CBS Channel 2 to become 2.1, Independent 36 to become 36.1. If the Actual digital channel under which CBS is broadcasting is 118.1 the PSIP (Program and System Information Protocol) has fields which redirect the tuner to display CBS as 2.1.

The PSIP contains multiple address fields to identify Virtual and Actual. The cablecos generate their own PSIPs from those of the OTA channels to retain useful data (program description, etc). Unfortunately, cablecos use channel maps in the STBs for tuning, they do not rely on the PSIPs for tuning. As a consequence, some QAM channels have PSIP fields with incorrect and/or corrupted channel data.

Funai's digital tuner is Virtual-centric, it appears to process the PSIP Virtual channel data first, and cannot cope with PSIP corruption in these fields. TV tuners are Actual-centric, and their designs have been modified to recognize and correct the typical cableco corruption of PSIPs. Different TV brands, and different years of the same brand, cope with cableco PSIP corruption differently. TVs handle cableco tuning much better than Funai.

Cablecos crowd several sub-channels into the same Major channel e.g. CBS and NBC may both be on 118.

118.1 2.1 (16:9) CBS
118.2 2.2 CBS Weather
118.3 2.3 (4:3) CBS
118.4 5.1 (16:9) NBC
118.5 5.2 NBC Weather
118.6 5.3 (4:3) NBC

One symptom of sub-channel corruption in the PSIP is that selecting 2.1 works but 5.1 does not, although it is possible to 'sneak up' with CH+/CH- e.g. 4.5 5.2 5.3 5.1 6.1.

- Funai cannot select/record 5.1/5.2/5.3
- Funai can select/record 118.4/118.5/118.6

A common cableco implementation error is to virtualize a Major channel which has a mix of stations in the sub-channels. This can be checked for in Setup/Channel/Manual Preset i.e. select 118 and the screen will display DTV 118 (CH ---) and then change to become DTV 2 (CH 118). In this situation the only way to record NBC is analog.

- Funai cannot select 118.4/118.5/118.6: each of them defaults to 2.1
- Funai cannot record 118.4/118.5/118.6: they default to 2.4/2.5/2.6

These are simple cases. When a combination of major channel virtualization and sub-channel corruption occurs the tuning behavior can be more bizarre than these examples.

Cable "ON-DEMAND" Channels

One user found that, in the evening, he was able to tune his cableco's free (non-scrambled) "On-Demand" channels cuz his neighbors were watching them, and another user says he can tune ALL his cableco's on-demand channels cuz they're not scrambled.

These probably won't be memorized in a typical channel scan since they might only be "ON" when a neighbor tunes them in, so you may have to know which channels they appear on and just enter the channel number WHEN APPROPRIATE.

WARNING: Best not to enter On-Demand channels in your DVDR's channel memory if you have children who might tune them in when you're not there. They often have adult content and it might be best for people with children to only tune those channels with the number buttons when and IF they want to see what's on when kids aren't around!

In addition, content can change in the middle of watching, so don't assume any of your free "neighborhood" channels are safe for kids!
Of course, IF you're seeing those channels only cuz your neighbors are tuning them in, YOUR On-Demand channel watching will be under their control so, if they decide to go to bed in the middle of an interesting movie, you'll have to imagine the ending... or call your neighbors and complain that you weren't thru with their movie!

"Switched Digital Video" Being Rolled Out by Cablecos

In the 2nd half of 2007, Comcast Cable started rolling out Switched Digital Video (SDV), which delivers digital channels only ON DEMAND from a subscriber. You have to have a free cableco box to communicate with the "Optical Node" that delivers the channels in your neighborhood (500-2000 subscribers per node). However, some recent good news: according to one user here, TW is using SDV ONLY for low-viewership channels which they deliver only when a subscriber tunes those channels, so it does NOT interfere with the "normal" QAM channels a cableco delivers "in the clear." So far, then, only "low-viewership" channels might be lost to users of this DVDR due to SDV... altho they can still get the SDV box, if desired, and record thru that!

Update 4/4/10 - More people are beginning to report that their cablecos are starting to moving their HD channels from clear-QAM to SDV. I don't have SDV in my small market and the cableco says they have no plans for such... even their "HD tier" only has sucky channels no one wants.

post #128 of 25741 Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM

FYI ...I have a Sharp Aquos LCD flatscreen that will turn on automatically when it detects a signal coming in. This is probably what's going on with the Visio. I believe you can disable this function in the menu somewhere. Also, I'll have to check if that function works only with HDMI, or if it works with any input on the monitor.
post #129 of 25741 Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pics... Panels... Remotes... Spare Parts... Internals... FW... Repair Utility... HDD

Jump To:
DVDR3575H/37 Pic (Apr 2007-Mar 2008)
DVDR3576H/37 Pic (Apr 2008- Mar 2009)
Magnavox H2160MW9 (Aug 2008-Mar 2009) and H2160MW9A (Apr 2009-Present)
3575/3576 Front Panel
3575/3576 Back Panel
Remotes
Spare Parts
Internal Pics
Firmware (FW)
Repair Utility
The Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

DVDR3575H/37 Pic (Apr 2007-Mar 2008)

DVDR3576H/37 Pic (Apr 2008- Mar 2009)

Besides the new black case, the 3576 also has updated Front-End (FE) FW, which operates the front-end components, which I assume includes the tuner section. That FW is not being offered for the 3575, so there must be a significant difference of some sort?

Magnavox H2160MW9, H2160MW9A, MDR513H/F7, MDR515H/F7

Below is a picture of the Magnavox 2160, 513 or 515 (same) but it doesn't even come close to doing it justice! It's a really nice looking machine, all black and sleek, more "polished" than the 3575 or 3576... best-looking DVDR in my stack of Pio 640, 3575 and 2160. This is one of those things you have to see in person to appreciate!

For more info on the latest, new and improved, Magnavox MDR515H/F7, click here.

3575/3576 Front Panel

Quote:

DV-IN jack (E3, 4-pin IEEE 1394/firewire) is for DV camera PLAY and RECORD.
USB 2.0 input jack is for JPG/WMA/MP3 PLAY ONLY.
No external HDDs for either input or output.

3575/3576 Back Panel

Remotes

3575/3576
2160/513
NB526UD
NB820UD
NC003UD
Not to scale.

For people who want to control these DVDRs from a distant location or "non-line-of-sight," you can try a "remote extender". Some are shown here as examples. (Thanks to member plplplpl for suggesting this.) Here's a good article on using remote extenders.

Spare Parts

Mickboy found the procedure for ordering parts directly from Funai. Click here for an email link and explanation of what info they need to supply parts for these machines. (Info there happens to be related to DVD drives, but same email and info is reqd for any part.)

Internal Pics

HDD info and replacement/upgrade instructions can be found here, with tables showing the Seagate and Hitachi model numbers and sizes available.

Here are pics of the 3575 and 2160 box internals and HDDs.

Philips 3575/3576

Mag 2160

Philips 3575/3576 HDD

Mag 2160 Hitachi GLAT PATA HDD ... (Mag 2160A Uses Hitachi SLA SATA HDD)

Firmware (FW)

A list of original and upgraded FW for each machine is given here.

The latest FW physical disc for the 3575 is available from Philips here and the downloadable 3575 FW is here. It is for some minor disc compatibilities and no one has seen any diff. after installing it in their 3575.

For the Magnavox units, only the 2160A mfg in 2009 and 513 mfg in 2010 have a FW Upgrade. Click here for info on that FW Upgrade.

DO NOT use FW designated for one specific model in a diff. model, even between a 2160 and 2160A, since they have a diff. FW (FE) version... could make your DVDR a door-stop. ALSO, don't put a FW disc in a WORKING unit to test how it reacts when turning it on with the FW disc in place... YOU'LL GET A SYSTEM ERROR AND LOSE YOUR CHANNEL TUNING! (Gee, I wonder who'd be so stupid to do that? )

Repair Utility

This DVDR has a Repair program in its operating system that will automatically start a repair process if the machine thinks it's needed, i.e., it's not user-controlled. The manual says this about "Repairing":

“Repairing” appears on the TV screen.
  • If there is a power failure or unplugging during recording, finalizing, formatting or editing (even after “Repairing” disappears), a repairing process will begin automatically just after turning the unit on again. It may take several minutes up to about several hours.

The Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

More info on the HDD, including replacement or upgrade to a larger size, can be found here.

post #130 of 25741 Old 12-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Now that I have a unit whose disk door opens, I note a couple of oddities:

The first unit found digital channels on our analog/digital cable connection, but now the message is always that they're scrambled. I wonder whether the cable system (our hookup is bidirectional) noticed the previous attempts and closed some back door. (Scanning still stalls at digital 117, though.)

This unit replaces a Philips 75/17 that was getting flakey, and I was surprised to find that +RW disks (dozens of which we fed through the old machine) now require an initialization before recording on the new machine, and that disks with titles made on the 75/17 have to be made compatible before they can be recorded on or edited by the 3575. I thought that one advantage of the + format was that it didn't require formatting. The load time for a newly-inserted +RW disk, whether blank or with existing titles, also seems to be longer than on the 75/17.

I'm also puzzling over how to dub from previously-made +RWs to the HD--though mostly just to see exactly what this model can and can't do, so it's not a crucial issue. The reason is probably buried in some unexpected section of the user manual.

Other than some awkwardnesses in the remote and control sequences (inserting chapter marks seems to require more steps than the 75/17, for example), this looks like quite a nice recorder--having the HD for everyday time-shifting (90% of our use) is certainly convenient--and the picture quality is very good for our purposes (we're a long way from trading up to HD--our 24" Toshiba CRT is just fine).
post #131 of 25741 Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rletson View Post

Now that I have a unit whose disk door opens, I note a couple of oddities:

The first unit found digital channels on our analog/digital cable connection, but now the message is always that they're scrambled. I wonder whether the cable system (our hookup is bidirectional) noticed the previous attempts and closed some back door. (Scanning still stalls at digital 117, though.)

This unit replaces a Philips 75/17 that was getting flakey, and I was surprised to find that +RW disks (dozens of which we fed through the old machine) now require an initialization before recording on the new machine, and that disks with titles made on the 75/17 have to be made compatible before they can be recorded on or edited by the 3575. I thought that one advantage of the + format was that it didn't require formatting. The load time for a newly-inserted +RW disk, whether blank or with existing titles, also seems to be longer than on the 75/17.

I'm also puzzling over how to dub from previously-made +RWs to the HD--though mostly just to see exactly what this model can and can't do, so it's not a crucial issue. The reason is probably buried in some unexpected section of the user manual.

Other than some awkwardnesses in the remote and control sequences (inserting chapter marks seems to require more steps than the 75/17, for example), this looks like quite a nice recorder--having the HD for everyday time-shifting (90% of our use) is certainly convenient--and the picture quality is very good for our purposes (we're a long way from trading up to HD--our 24" Toshiba CRT is just fine).

Your newly Scrambled channels do sound "odd." I wonder if they're playin games, as you suggest, or if it could POSSIBLY be that your signal was flaky enough at that time to affect solid tunability... this is just a WAG, tho.

If you remember any digital channels you got before, see if it lets you do a Manual Channel Preset and add any of them? If they moved those channels, the 3575 won't find any that are in a major channel group (e.g., 83.1, 83.2, etc.) if the first channel (83.1) is Scrambled. You have to know there are unscrambled channels in the group (compare lineup to TV's), then add them manually. If you can find one "hidden" in a Scrambled group, adding that one unscrambled channel will tune all others in that group. See this post for "Hidden" channel discussion.

Hopefully, those other Philips +RW discs just require the "Make Recording Compatible" step as noted on pg 40 of the manual, and it just makes the title system compatible and allows additional recording. Try that first and see if it allows normal use of a +RW. Hope they don't require an Erase to be re-used in the 3575?

You copy DVDs in two ways, depending on whether they're Finalized or Unfinalized. The procedure is described at the bottom of this post.
post #132 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 01:52 AM

I would like to know if i attach a external hd to the recorder is it possible to transfer the contents from the internal hd to the external?
Thanks
post #133 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Wabjxo, 3 questions about the 3575, that I think? are all no, but I thought I'd conferm with you.

1. Is it possible to record to the HDD and DVD at the same time, same channel to both drives?
2. Is it possible to delete/format to the DVD, while HDD is recording?
3. Is it possible to play both the DVD and HDD at the same time, just toggel between the 2 w/the HDD/DVD buttons?

If any of these are possible, I would like to know how to do it. I'm still on a learning curve with this unit. The only device I've had before with 2 recorders in one, was a Panny es-30 which had a VHS and DVDR in the same unit. And on that device I could independantly record/read from each drive, at the same time(note only one built in tuner, but with my external tuner I could record from 2 seperate channels at the same time). Note I'm not sure if Panny's with a HDD and DVDR would allow to record seperate things to the HDD and DVDR at the same time, since I've never had one before, it's not something that I would be doing that often, it's just more a question if it can be done on the 3575 or not. Thanks
post #134 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wabjxo, 3 questions about the 3575, that I think? are all no, but I thought I'd conferm with you.

1. Is it possible to record to the HDD and DVD at the same time, same channel to both drives?
2. Is it possible to delete/format to the DVD, while HDD is recording?
3. Is it possible to play both the DVD and HDD at the same time, just toggel between the 2 w/the HDD/DVD buttons?

That's No on #1 and #2, Yes on #3.

On #3, you can Play them both and when you toggle to either drive, it stops the drive you left in Resume mode, as it should... actually, pretty smart on this feature. If both drives kept playing, you'd MISS the portion on the other drive that kept playing. When you switch back and forth, you just press PLAY and each title starts from Resume, where you left off.

For multi-tasking, the Polaroid 2001G is king... see Nextoo's post here.
post #135 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI: I've added a couple of sections to the subject titled "Recording and Dubbing to DVDs":

Recording to DVD in Multiple Sessions
(3rd heading.)

"Empty Title" Explained?
(Bottom of page.)
post #136 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Wabjxo, at least you found 1 yes that I didnt know of. I guess it makes sense for Philips to "pause" the device, that is not being watched. Really makes sense for 99% of the time. But in the name of testing, I was trying to do a side by side PQ comparison between the same thing recorded on the HDD and DVD, and I was trying to toggel between the 2, to compare live shots. I guess this is the 1% of the time that it would have been OK to not pause the one being watched. Figures, I'd be in the 1%..........

Nice job updating your previous posts, clarified some things on the 3575. I also enjoyed the Looooonnnngggg link, talking about +R(W) format. I just wish now that I hadnt tried the first +R disc that I recorded to 4 yrs ago, on a 10 yr old Apex, which couldnt play it, so I thought -R was better. Sounds like there are indeed advantages to the +R format after all, but with the HDD, my disc usage will going down dramatically anyway!

P.S. If we/you and varify that "just being a commercial burned disc" not a home made disc with dye changes, stops the 3575 from recording from the DVD to HDD, you could omit the part about being CP'd. And say "no commercial disc". It would make more sense, to me anyway, knowing that there are indeed commercial discs, with out CP. Just a thought. Maby everybody else gets it.

Actually I think I answerd my own question. I was searching and found a post by KJBAWC that said, indeed his Pio, can tell the difference between a commercialy pressed disc and a finalized +-R disc. He said his Pio cannot copy a commercialy pressed disc, CP or not. I'm sure the 3575 is the same.
post #137 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Your humble servant, the Philips DVDR3575H, is a CES Innovations 2008 Awards Honoree in the Video Components category.

See CES Awards page here, 7th item down.
post #138 of 25741 Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I think I answerd my own question. I was searching and found a post by KJBAWC that said, indeed his Pio, can tell the difference between a commercialy pressed disc and a finalized +-R disc. He said his Pio cannot copy a commercialy pressed disc, CP or not. I'm sure the 3575 is the same.

My Pio cannot make a high speed copy of a commercially pressed disc, but if there is no copy protection, I can easily make one in real-time, using the one touch copy function. As the Pio will let me make HS copies of +R and -R discs, using the "backup copy" function, but NOT commercially pressed discs, it must sense a difference, somehow!
post #139 of 25741 Old 12-16-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

it must sense a difference, somehow!

It might be that the commercial discs it can't HS copy are dual layer.
post #140 of 25741 Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I was trying to do a side by side PQ comparison between the same thing recorded on the HDD and DVD

No point. The 3575 records exactly the same digital data stream to either HDD or DVD, depending on what recording quality level you have selected.

If you high-speed dub from HDD to DVD, it transfers the digital video data unchanged, preserving exactly the original recording quality.
post #141 of 25741 Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I found that out. Same program same speed recorded to HDD and DVD, produces exact same PQ. I was just testing this out.
And on the whole commercial copying thing, I think it was best described by Rcrach on VideoHelp. He said:

"It's a good guess. DVD's are encrypted with a protocol called CSS. The player decrypts them to view. A second level of copy protection from Macrovoision is inserted in the VBI of the analog signal. If your disk encouraged copying, it was probably meant to be copied from the analog output. ie they left out the Macrovision, this is easy. The DVR only looks for CSS when determining when to allow copying to the internal hard drive."

All just leave it at that. Makes the best sense to me. On the rare occasions I need to copy a commercial dvd w/o CP, I'll just feed the signal in from another DVD player. Not really a big deal.
post #142 of 25741 Old 12-16-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

It might be that the commercial discs it can't HS copy are dual layer.

Well, probably most commercial discs ARE DL, and it won't HS copy from a DL disc, but I have tried a few shorties, 1.5 hours or less, no features. So I am sure they have been SL discs, but they still wouldn't HS copy, with "disc backup."
post #143 of 25741 Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Well, probably most commercial discs ARE DL, and it won't HS copy from a DL disc, but I have tried a few shorties, 1.5 hours or less, no features. So I am sure they have been SL discs, but they still wouldn't HS copy, with "disc backup."

Hmmm, I just ran across something about DVD-R and a "prerecorded crypto ring" near the hub. Hmmm!
post #144 of 25741 Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I read those articles, and they sound like so much hokum.

First, it clearly doesn't apply to the discussion here, since I have no trouble copying -R DVDs with my Pio. It is commercially pressed discs it won't copy. By the logic of this article, it would think the commercial disc is a +R disc, and I should be able to copy it, but that is not the case. Since a +R disc does not have this ring, but it will detect a +R disc, it must detect the noncommercial discs some other way.

Of the several hundred -R DVDs I have tried to copy, usually supplied by the authors of the content, there have been two or three that clearly had copy protection, and I could not copy them. Only a very small % of the DVDs I have tried to copy are +Rs, but I would say that at least a third of them have proved uncopyable on the Pio. But, I do not get a graphic saying they are copy protected, just that the disc is uncopyable. Of course, this may be a Pio bias for -Rs. But, at least from my standpoint, the +rs are far more likely to be "evil" than the -Rs.

The "-Rs are evil, +Rs are good" article says -Rs have disadvantages, but doesn't really say what they are, just that they cost more to produce, and "invade" our privacy. BS. The article implies that "Hollywood" has conspired to keep us from copying their content on -R discs with this inner ring. Again, that is total BS. I have hundreds of DVDs to prove it...
post #145 of 25741 Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Very inspiring (and extensive) thread!

Do you happen to know if there are any other differences between 3575H and 3570H, beside NTSC vs PAL? I find it very difficult to follow the Philips name coding system and I'm not sure if they are, in fact, the same.
BTW, my 3570 box will be home for Christmas

Thank you
post #146 of 25741 Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinv View Post

Very inspiring (and extensive) post!

Do you happen to know if there are any other differences between 3575H and 3570H, beside NTSC vs PAL? I find it very difficult to follow the Philips name coding system and I'm not sure if they are, in fact, the same.
BTW, my 3570 box will be home for Christmas

Looks like a great machine. Compared to 3575, it has:
  • PAL/SECAM System
  • Records to +R DL
  • Has 8 Rec modes.
  • Picks up Program Name/Station ID during Recording
  • Plays MPEG4
  • Video Plus +
  • Auto-Satellite Recording
  • 4x, 16x, 64x, 256x HDD Scan Speeds
Sounds good!
post #147 of 25741 Old 12-18-2007, 02:43 PM

Wow, that was fast! I'm very impressed with your expertise level and I'm glad I found this forum.
I still have an issue with the USB output. The manual states that only USB flash drives and no HDDs can be used. Is it really so? Having the possibility to copy recordings to/from an external HDD would make this unit perfect, at least for me.

Thank you
post #148 of 25741 Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yea, HDD connectivity via USB would be perfect for a lot of people, except those that hold copyrights... they prob. wouldn't like a bunch of portable HDDs floating around from house to house dropping off their movies to another HDD... a little too easy for us and way too queasy for them!

As I understand it, even those units that allow external HDDs force them to be connected to that machine and useless connected to anything else.
post #149 of 25741 Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 PM

It's only a matter of easiness, as long as video materials can float around on dvds or usb sticks. These days you can get an 8gb flashdrive for less than 100$, so what's the catch?
As far as I know, dvd players (Eboda 777, for instance) can read external hdd, but only fat32 partitions smaller than 32gb, which is still portable. Also, they can't see the difference between a flashdrive and a hdd.
Anyway, I was looking for someone who experienced this kind of connection, but I'll get my chance to try it soon
post #150 of 25741 Old 12-19-2007, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually I think you're misunderstanding the USB port. A person cannon write to the USB port on the 3575, only read. I know, it sucks! Copy write holders are ruling the world, there hindering the flexibility of products to meet consumer demand. The problem is compounded when large hardware/software companies are owned by the same company. JMO And with the exception of the PAL/SECAM think, the 3570 seems to have all the features I've wished the 3575 had. Sure, now you got me wishing I had access to use that machine!!! Oh well, the 3575's a good machine too.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page