Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 535 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16021 of 26049 Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Ken, excuse my ignorance, but would 800-605-8610 be the number to call for that part? My search for Funai Services only found that number.

You don't call them, they call you.
I sent an e-mail to parts@funaiservice.com explaining that I wanted to purchase a cooling fan. I included the recorder model number and serial number, and the part number that mrmazda posted here. I got a reply with a price quote and they asked for my shipping address and phone number. I replied with that info and they called me for the credit card info. It sounds like a pain but it was pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 26049 Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

If I was Funai, I devote zero time to fixing the analog lockup problem since there should be zero analog channels in a few months. I really don't believe that will happen sooner that 2013. It will save money if a really cheap DTA comes out with composite only, no rf. That may be the game changer.

While that may be true for cable providers and OTA, many existing and new satellite dual-receivers send the 2nd feed to another room via analog SD coax (antenna or cable channel).
post #16023 of 26049 Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

While that may be true for cable providers and OTA, many existing and new satellite dual-receivers send the 2nd feed to another room via analog SD coax (antenna or cable channel).

You're right. I should have thought that too, since my sister has Dish and a small analog TV in her kitchen fed off the dual-receiver.
post #16024 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you think all the major cable companies are going to pull the plug on all analog channels on June 12, 2012? Tomorrow the Kern County Fair starts and I am going to go to the Bright House booth and ask them.

Low power analog OTA will be around until the end of 2015. Hopefully most low power stations will voluntarily switch to digital before then.

How can we say "the digital transition is complete" when thousands of low power stations are still broadcasting in analog?
LOW POWER ANALOG NEEDS TO DIE NOW!!!
post #16025 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk View Post

Do you think all the major cable companies are going to pull the plug on all analog channels on June 12, 2012? Tomorrow the Kern County Fair starts and I am going to go to the Bright House booth and ask them.

Low power analog OTA will be around until the end of 2015. Hopefully most low power stations will voluntarily switch to digital before then.

Since I have no first hand or documented information, I am only repeating what I have heard. Class A stations had to switch. Low power stations had to promise they would switch. Cable stations are allowed to drop analog next year. This is how I understand it, but got real lost on the FCC web site.

Last month I would have bet the farm my cable company wasn't going to do anything. But their place was flooded and they are working from a garage at this time. Seriously. So maybe they can afford to, or have an excuse to, buy new stuff. I'm already down to 26 NTSC channels that have their own pricing tier. With the aggresive pricing of dish systems, I don't see any change in my cable system. But they didn't see the flood coming either.
post #16026 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

You don't call them, they call you.
I sent an e-mail to parts@funaiservice.com explaining that I wanted to purchase a cooling fan. I included the recorder model number and serial number, and the part number that mrmazda posted here. I got a reply with a price quote and they asked for my shipping address and phone number. I replied with that info and they called me for the credit card info. It sounds like a pain but it was pretty easy.

Order in progress. Waiting for the CC call. I ordered two. They are for my Sony DVRs, the one on my 515H is virtually silent. Thanks for the help.

I included my CC info in my last email so the nice lady shipped them (I bought two) today. I also found the rubber/silicon mounting feet (Amazon) and power splitters. All the parts should be here next week. I will take pictures.
post #16027 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 AM

I've only had my dvr a short time and haven't had time to really play with it much. I have been able to record to both hdd and dvd. I like to record things for use at another location and dvd is a great choice for that. My question is how to do high speed dubbing, I can do the real time thing ok but if I record several programs via timer I'd like to move them to dvd at a much faster pace than real time dubbing. I didn't find anything in the manual about such a procedure and I'm guessing I've over looked something or misunderstood what's there. Can someone please help me learn how to speed the process of dubbing up? I'm sure it's a simple process that I just seem be missing. Thanks!
post #16028 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
High speed is default, but is only possible when the source's size fits in the target's available space. Real time is necessary for the processing compression necessary to fit more.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #16029 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkives1 View Post

I've only had my dvr a short time and haven't had time to really play with it much. I have been able to record to both hdd and dvd. I like to record things for use at another location and dvd is a great choice for that. My question is how to do high speed dubbing, I can do the real time thing ok but if I record several programs via timer I'd like to move them to dvd at a much faster pace than real time dubbing. I didn't find anything in the manual about such a procedure and I'm guessing I've over looked something or misunderstood what's there. Can someone please help me learn how to speed the process of dubbing up? I'm sure it's a simple process that I just seem be missing. Thanks!

Here's the step-by-step procedure for Dubbing, incl, High Speed (HSD).

Here's another file to help you understand the HSD process.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #16030 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I went back through the threads and Wajo's sticky and finally figured it out. I was confusing the dubbing speed with the quality and time available on disc. Tried it again and voila! Success. It was actually simple once I got my brain thinking the right way.
post #16031 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Don't forget to Finalize.
post #16032 of 26049 Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Then what's the point of having a wishlist posted?

We have two. Could we add a third? [just kidding - too much wine]
post #16033 of 26049 Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

Don't forget to Finalize.

True dat. More than one user got confused over the message that is displayed at the end of a HSD...thinking that it was doing the finalize instead of just a reminder to do it.
post #16034 of 26049 Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my replacement fan from Funai Service today. The fan replacement was straightforward. It took me less than an hour from start to finish. The only tools I needed were a #2 Philips screwdriver and needle-nose pliers. Since the 515 has a 2 hour backup I didn't need to run the setup program or re-enter the timer recording schedule when I plugged it back in.

I removed the fan guard, top cover and rear panel. Once I had it opened up I released the DVD/HDD Circuit Board Assembly so I could lift it enough to access the plug socket for the fan wires. I unplugged and removed the old fan, then routed the new fan wires through the fan opening in the rear panel and plugged it in. I secured the circuit board, re-installed the rear panel and top cover.

Overall it's an easy task but there are some things to watch out for. The fan wire plug is very tight and the only removal method that I had any luck with involved getting my big knuckles under the end of the circuit board. It's very close so I released the circuit board by removing the screw with grounding spring strip, then squeezed the top of the two plastic retaining clips with the pliers while lifting the circuit board firmly but gently. I did not want to remove or damage any of the fragile ribbon cables so I was careful not to pull on the circuit board too hard or kink the ribbon cables.

The rear panel uses different size screws so I was careful not to mix them up. As I removed them I placed them on a piece of masking tape sticky side up to keep them in order.

The rear panel has a little hook on the end that fits in a slot (on the side closest to the power cord). To remove the rear panel I had to tilt it forward while lifting and wiggling.
LL
LL
post #16035 of 26049 Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I got my replacement fan from Funai Service today. The fan replacement was straightforward... ...Since the 515 has a 2 hour backup I didn't need...

How many POWER ON hours do you have on this 515 with a failed fan?

I don't recall reading many posts about 3575 and/or 2160 failed fans...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #16036 of 26049 Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The fan must have been bad from the factory...
post #16037 of 26049 Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

How many POWER ON hours do you have on this 515 with a failed fan?

I don't recall reading many posts about 3575 and/or 2160 failed fans...

It has 2,235 hours on it. My 513 has 4,907 hours on it and the fan is still as quiet as when it was new.

The fan never quit working, it just got real noisy. It sounded like the blades were hitting something but they weren't. I pulled the fan guard and powered the recorder on with the fan in my hand and it had a noticeable vibration. The noise started right after I moved some stuff around and the 515 ended up sitting on top of a hot receiver. Maybe the heat caused the fan bearing to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post

The fan must have been bad from the factory...

The fan was quiet when I first got it but I suppose there may have been something wrong with it that didn't show up until later. I like that idea better than me killing it with heat.
post #16038 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

...IMHO, try to decipher the Funai proprietary disk format is not really worth the effort.

Hi all first time post with 2160A. I just removed the HDD and was floored to see it's not recognized when connected to my PC via USB dock. Is there ANY workaround to view the Funai HDD content on a PC?
Thanks wajo and all for this informative thread.
post #16039 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post

Hi all first time post with 2160A. I just removed the HDD and was floored to see it's not recognized when connected to my PC via USB dock. Is there ANY workaround to view the Funai HDD content on a PC?

The Funais use neither a PC compatible partition table nor as far as we can tell a PC compatible filesystem. You could dd (a basic Linux utility) the entire device (or portion thereof) to (a) file(s), then view the content with a binary viewer, but since you had to ask, it's not likely you'd be able to make sense of anything you found that way.

There is a separate thread where some of us have attempted to make sense of what we have found, but there's a lot of work left to do before usefulness may be achieved.

post #16040 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post

...but since you had to ask, it's not likely you'd be able to make sense of anything you found that way.

Thanks mrmazda, and you're right. I tried to view the contents using Ubuntu Live CD, but without a drive letter, I'm lost.
post #16041 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 05:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks mrmazda, and you're right. I tried to view the contents using Ubuntu Live CD, but without a drive letter, I'm lost.

What did /var/log/syslog say when you inserted the USB cable? What does fdisk report?

I have two 513s, but the new smell is too fresh for me to want to break mine open!
post #16042 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like you're a Linux novice too. Linux doesn't use drive letters. Linux "mounts" a partition to a directory (folder) name. The OS partition gets the root (/) directory, and everything else is a subdirectory of /, which means a directory can simply be a directory, or a name for a partition, and it can't run out of "names" (letters in M$-speak) for those who use a lot of HDs, USB sticks, OM devices, and/or partitions.

Next time you boot a Linux OM, use a file viewer to inspect the contents of /etc/fstab and/or /proc/mounts, and you'll see what directory names are given to the various mountable media that Linux mounted or expects to be able to mount. The partitions on the first HD will have a basename of /dev/sda, the second /dev/sdb, third /dev/sdc, etc., with a numeral or two appended designating where in the partition table the partition is located, such as /dev/sda1 for the first partition on the first HD and /dev/sdd7 for the "7th" partition on the 4th HD. In this naming scheme, USB partitions are treated as if they were HD partitions, and might get their letters and numbers before HD partitions.

All the above may sound complicated, but it really isn't once you get used to it, and in reality, you shouldn't necessarily need to care anyway as long as you know how to navigate with a file manager to locate directories and files of interest to you.

Regardless of naming scheme, a 2160 HD doesn't have a partition table, thus no partitions, and nothing that can be mounted for conventional access. DD is a program that can read from an unmounted device, with or without partitioning, and create files from the sectors it read, among its uses.

post #16043 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 01:36 PM

I had a hard time getting a WD 500(AACS) to format with the Funai. In disk manager used NTFS and 512 unit size, but no joy. Oddly, tried exFAT and 512, and the Funai recognized and formatted the drive with no problem. Then I tried a Samsung HD103SI, again no problem, from the record time it appears that only 500GB is recognized, but would be curious to see what happens after recording the limit of 104 hours in HQ.
Windows also recognized the HDD, but not the content, and Linux didn't pick it up at all, so I tried NTFS again, and it worked. Originally, I wasn't deleteing the partition before creating a new volume. The 500 and 1TB are now working in NTFS at 512 Allocation unit size(500GB only).

The HDD is also recognized in Ubuntu, but no content(unhidden). While I have the box open with an eSata cable for hot swaps, I can run in Terminal commands, but they need to be complete and exact since I'm unfamiliar with linux.
The only reason I used Ubuntu in the first place was to upgrade my BIOS mobo from AM2 to AM3(Phenom 9500>Phenom II 840)
I didn't learn Linux, just followed the instuctions.
LL
post #16044 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

New model, either SD or HD, on the 12th of Never.

WHAT!

WHAT!

Are th current models being discontinued as well? I noticed Amazon is selling from third party sellers now.

Should we begin stock piling these things?
post #16045 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I had a hard time getting a WD 500(AACS) to format with the Funai. In disk manager used NTFS and 512 unit size, but no joy. Oddly, tried exFAT and 512, and the Funai recognized and formatted the drive with no problem. Then I tried a Samsung HD103SI, again no problem, from the record time it appears that only 500GB is recognized, but would be curious to see what happens after recording the limit of 104 hours in HQ.
Windows also recognized the HDD, but not the content, and Linux didn't pick it up at all, so I tried NTFS again, and it worked. Originally, I wasn't deleteing the partition before creating a new volume. The 500 and 1TB are now working in NTFS at 512 Allocation unit size(500GB only).

The HDD is also recognized in Ubuntu, but no content(unhidden). While I have the box open with an eSata cable for hot swaps, I can run in Terminal commands, but they need to be complete and exact since I'm unfamiliar with linux.
The only reason I used Ubuntu in the first place was to upgrade my BIOS mobo from AM2 to AM3(Phenom 9500>Phenom II 840)
I didn't learn Linux, just followed the instuctions.

Open a terminal and do:
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
Leave the terminal open and unplug the USB cable and wait a few moments and plug it back in. The syslog terminal should show it being plugged in and show a device, /dev/sdb for example. Make note of the exact name.

Close out the sudo tail with the keys Ctrl+c.

Now, in the terminal, see what fdisk says the volume ID and partition scheme are:
Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
Press P for print.

I suspect the next step will be to mount the /dev and see if we can get a better idea of its contents. Before we can do that, we need to know the System label. For example:
Quote:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 2613 20980736 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 2613 38053 284674048 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 38053 38914 6914049 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 38053 38914 6914048 82 Linux swap / Solaris

post #16046 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 02:56 PM

chili555 - I won't be back home til tomorrow, but will try it ASAIK.
post #16047 of 26049 Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Just a guess but after the soft reset your auto clock may have went back to the default "Auto" setting. It probably did a clock channel search and put some stations in your channel memory. I'd try setting the auto clock to off and do a auto channel preset with nothing connected to Antenna In.

Problem fixed, domo arigato.

Quote:

Thanks wajo and all for this informative thread.

Hi there, maybe you should read this thread:

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

CES this coming January will be very interesting.

I'll be more than happy with some US version of the [MTV7000] Magic TV:

post #16048 of 26049 Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
Open a terminal and do:
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
Leave the terminal open and unplug the USB cable and wait a few moments and plug it back in. The syslog terminal should show it being plugged in and show a device, /dev/sdb for example. Make note of the exact name.

Close out the sudo tail with the keys Ctrl+c.

Now, in the terminal, see what fdisk says the volume ID and partition scheme are:
Code:
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
Press P for print.

I suspect the next step will be to mount the /dev and see if we can get a better idea of its contents. Before we can do that, we need to know the System label. For example:
The file is attached. You'll have to change the extension from .txt to .odt before opening in Linux.
btw: What app can I use in Ubuntu so I can save a file and open it with Windows Notepad and/or Word? I did a search in the software center, but nothing I tried worked.

The first command didn't work as expected, however, in computer I was able to right click on the HDD and mount was an option. After mounting and opening the HDD, it only shows the Recycle Bin, the half hour of recorded news doesn't show up.
Once mounted, it showed the drive as /dev/sde1, and is definitely the correct volume since it is the only 1TB connected to this PC.

I don't know if fdisk and print will give you the info you wanted but it's all there.

We probably should move this to the thread profhat mentioned, unless it is a dead end.

HDD.txt 31.2060546875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt HDD.txt (31.2 KB, 7 views)
post #16049 of 26049 Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

I tried to download http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...7&d=1316939434 with wget and all I got was an XHTML page complaining I'm not logged in here, even though I have to be logged in to type this.

I have no idea why chili555 wants you to open fdisk and then display partition info on your screen. Instead, do 'sudo fdisk -l > somefilename.txt', and you'll have a file named somefilename.txt you can copy and paste from instead of needing to attach a binary file that web browsers cannot open.

For actual text files, Linux and M$ format line ends differently, and M$ tools are mostly too brain dead to open Linux text files unless line endings are converted first with the unix2dos utility. If you use an OFM instead of common tools the OFM is smart enough to display regardless of line endings. OFMs are swiss army knife programs with built in editing, FTP, moving, copying, etc, and automatically load the correct utilities required for viewing common non-text files like zip & tgz.

I don't know if live *buntu disks have an OFM on them, since I never use them. I doubt it, since *buntu doesn't install one by default. The originator and master of the live Linux concept Knoppix does - Midnight Commander (aka mc, which you open in a terminal or via login on a virtual terminal reached via Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6-]). On Windows I use FC/W, which is not freeware, but worth its small registration price.

post #16050 of 26049 Old 09-25-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:

The file is attached. You'll have to change the extension from .txt to .odt before opening in Linux.
btw: What app can I use in Ubuntu so I can save a file and open it with Windows Notepad and/or Word? I did a search in the software center, but nothing I tried worked.

The first command didn't work as expected, however, in computer I was able to right click on the HDD and mount was an option. After mounting and opening the HDD, it only shows the Recycle Bin, the half hour of recorded news doesn't show up.
Once mounted, it showed the drive as /dev/sde1, and is definitely the correct volume since it is the only 1TB connected to this PC.

I don't know if fdisk and print will give you the info you wanted but it's all there.

We probably should move this to the thread profhat mentioned, unless it is a dead end.

In both Open Office and Libre Office, when you select Save, you can select a file format of Windows 97/2000/XP .doc. When I save as .doc and send an attachment to my Windows disadvantaged friends, I get no complaints, so I assume they open the files just fine. You can also copy from the terminal and paste into gedit and save as a .txt directly.

I am encouraged by this:
Quote:

Sep 25 06:41:09 ubuntu ntfs-3g[5475]: Mounted /dev/sde1 (Read-Write, label "New Volume", NTFS 3.1)

Quote:

I have no idea why chili555 wants you to open fdisk and then display partition info on your screen.

Shooting the result directly into a text file is always a useful option. Seeing it on the screen may help Trac see what's going on under the hood.

I had hoped we could get some clues as to the filetype so we could mount and examine the volume. However, the 'mount' option was given and used and still tells us nothing. I'm more curious than I was before. Can it be true that there is no partition table and no file format?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page