Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 26028 Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you really want it, go for at least one replacement try. Remember the posts from people who had to exchange a 3575 two or three times before getting one that worked with cable. It implies that the tuner is not inherently bad, but has a high defect rate (coupled with no QC that puts them on the shelf). As long as they're willing to take them back, work you way through the stock. And I would stick with component. I get beautiful PQ from my E-85 feeding into my plasma at 480p and letting the TV do the work.

Hi Kelson,

Yes, I will probably exchange the 3576 for another at Sam's Club this weekend. They had a large stack of them last Saturday, and so I expect I won't have any trouble getting a replacement. But I sure don't look forward to multiple trips to Sam's Club to try and find one without the digital tuner issues.

I probably will continue to use the component output to the TV because the available HDMI inputs on the TV are taken by other components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Just to be sure, did you rescan for analog/digital channels after removing the amp in front of the 3576?

Hi Wajo,

Yes, I did another complete channel rescan after I connected the 3576 directly to the wall cable connector. The channels "seem" to be there (they are in memory), it's just that there is no video output from the tuner.

Since the 3576 recorded blank programs, that means the video signal is not reaching the recorder circuits, as well as not being present at the HDMI or component outputs.

More later...

RG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 26028 Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Dear puff-puff,

I have basic analog cable too but I also get 10 digital WS channels. Did you do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital)?

Anyway, change the 3576's Video > TV Aspect to 16:9 Wide. Set your DV10 for the same (whatever its name for that is). (In fact, I wonder if the DV10 has a playback setting for "Fill" or whatever so you're not "double-letterboxing" the titles... the objective is to see if there's some aspect ratio on the DVD that the DV10 doesn't like or know how to display?)

Record something to play and report success ASAP! Would be esp. nice if you scanned in some WS digital channels and could use one of those!

If you agree to accept this mission, we will disavow any knowledge of you or your mission, etc., etc. ....

I have accepted your mission under your terms, non-disclosure, etc..
Okay: Project 3576/DV10:
Have scanned analog/digital (didn't produce any ther channels --I have a Sony CRT non-digital TV), set the 3576 for 16:9, make recording compatible, and recorded (not dubbed) a TV segment and finalized. Used a Maxell DVD-RW.
The DV10 was set to 16:9. The rectangles appeared as before but this time there was no sound or video. Aaarghh!
Mission??
STRESSED stressbox
post #1653 of 26028 Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox View Post

I have accepted your mission under your terms, non-disclosure, etc..
Okay: Project 3576/DV10:
Have scanned analog/digital (didn't produce any ther channels --I have a Sony CRT non-digital TV), set the 3576 for 16:9, make recording compatible, and recorded (not dubbed) a TV segment and finalized. Used a Maxell DVD-RW.
The DV10 was set to 16:9. The rectangles appeared as before but this time there was no sound or video. Aaarghh!
Mission??
STRESSED stressbox

Memo to self: Find someone for next "mission-we-know-nothing-about" who DOESN'T have a DV10!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #1654 of 26028 Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

BURN BEFORE READING!

Dear stressful,

It seems your DV10 doesn't like the file structure of the 3576's +VR system, and this may be the same for those people I found in my search who were saying their DV10 wouldn't read "certain" discs. One person sent his back to factory and they fixed it so it would read all his discs... FW upgrade?

Have you checked to see if there's a FW upgrade... seems to be only hope... at least until I find another "covert team" with a higher mission success rate!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #1655 of 26028 Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As long as they're willing to take them back, work you way through the stock.

Yeah, Sam's is about the absolute easiest place to do that at, so you might as well.
post #1656 of 26028 Old 09-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Welllll......How about this: was in Walmart today and saw a DVD player for 39.00, a Philips no less. Bought it. Connected the composite cables to the DV10 and, in French, Voila!. The damn 39.00 DVD player accepts and reads all those discs rejected by the DV10 and the DV10 projects everything in all their glory. The thing even has an HDMI output.
I don't like having to do this but at least I can project any movies I dub to DVDs.
Still stressed but less so stressbox, over and out.
post #1657 of 26028 Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

For H2160 users: I emailed Magnavox support re: spare remote controls, and here's their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry,

Remote controls are available for many of our units. All remote control sales are final. Remote control prices vary and will be determined upon your phone call. We accept payment through Visa, Master Card or American Express. If credit card is not available, you may use a money order as alternative payment. To place order with credit card, call 1-800-242-7158 and request for the parts department between the hours of 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Fridays.

Drew 1253
Customer Support"

post #1658 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 AM

My 10 year old TVIO has died, yeah I know, haven't been paying, just using it as a VCR type thing. But it was really handy while it lasted. New TIVO require subscriptions, had my fill of this nonsense ... So ...

Going to go buy a Phillips 3576, they have them at the local Sams and Walmart.

I have read through a lot of this thread, it's huge, and would like to up the odds on getting the latest version of the 3576. What is the latest date code? Does that up the odds of getting a good tuner?

Looks like the TR-50 may be still born ... Now they are saying November, sigh.
post #1659 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-tb View Post

(...) Looks like the TR-50 may be still born ... Now they are saying November, sigh.

Ah, but now the company is actually saying "around
Thanksgiving" and setting a price of $299.
I plan on it complimenting my Philips DVDR3575H/37
nicely.
post #1660 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM

I want to record a Football Game to my HDD and then later make a DVD of this game removing all the Commericals from the Game. Will it let me pause the dvd I'm making so it will not recorded the Commercials.
post #1661 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have read through a lot of this thread, it's huge, and would like to up the odds on getting the latest version of the 3576. What is the latest date code? Does that up the odds of getting a good tuner?

There've been only a few reports of digital tuner problems with the 3576 but one user just got on with a May 19, 2008 Pack Date (on short end of box), and his digital tuner appears to be bad... goes blue-screen and won't tune on timer program start. He's on analog Comcast cable, which has been the service (analog) and provider (Comcast) with a noticeable precentage of people with digital tuner problems. OTA and true digital cable are virtually problem free.

I've got one older model 3575 that goes blue screen in my analog cable system, but only if I "stress-test" it... it's never failed to tune at startup or on timer rec.

I think the "odds" of getting one with a good tuner are pretty good, esp. if you do find dates farther away from its release month of April 2008. If you're OTA or digital cable subscriber, you shouldn't have any such digital tuning problems (sat also, obviously, since the DVDR tuner can't tune that encrypted signal and needs a line feed from the sat receiver).

post #1662 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear315win View Post

I want to record a Football Game to my HDD and then later make a DVD of this game removing all the Commericals from the Game. Will it let me pause the dvd I'm making so it will not recorded the Commercials.

I think you're asking if you can record a game on the HDD with commercials, then pause the copy (dub) to DVD to remove each commercial. The answer is yes, but the dub will have to be a real-time dub (RTD), a bit by bit transfer that takes as long as the title runs. SOME PQ is supposed to be lost in a real-time dub, so that's another consideration, besides the length of time it takes.

You could also Pause at each commercial WHILE recording the game to the HDD, but that takes "babysitting" the entire game.

Another way to get a commercial-free game is to record (using unattended timer program or press REC and let it run, as described here) in a high-quality rec mode, like 2-hr-SP (you can record up to 12 hours at any one time in any rec mode with the 3575/3576/2160), then EDIT out the commercials, then make a high-speed dub (HSD), which takes 1/4-time if 2-hr-SP or 1/12-time if 6-hr-SLP, and NO loss in PQ.

Here's a post with some ideas on how to record a football game (toughest thing for MPEG2 recorders IMO) in high-quality rec modes and editing down so it can be HSD to a DVD.

Here's a post on the benefits of HSD compared to a RTD.

post #1663 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Chuck44 -- Do you have any confidence that the TR-50 is real? Since I am now DVR-less I can't wait long ... Wasn't it supposed to be out in June 2008?

wajo -- I am OTA and Comcast basic analog, so it would be nice if the QAM tuner were to work properly. Is May 19, 2008 the latest pack date, or is there any more recent. I looked at Walmart and they had Feb 20, 2008(I think) date on the 3576 boxes.
post #1664 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

wajo -- I am OTA and Comcast basic analog, so it would be nice if the QAM tuner were to work properly. Is May 19, 2008 the latest pack date, or is there any more recent. I looked at Walmart and they had Feb 20, 2008(I think) date on the 3576 boxes.

I'd stay away from anything in Feb, they were still selling 3575's then... might have just "repackaged" a 3575. If you were ONLY OTA or digital cable, it wouldn't matter.

I've heard from many people lately who wanted to combine OTA and cable, but it's a problem not just because there's only one RF input, but you can't scan for Antenna channels then for Cable (Analog/Digital) channels cuz one overwrites the other in memory. So, even a "switch" wouldn't work.

Sketch #1 here shows a typ. OTA or Cable connection, with an outboard digital converter box to supply the tuned OTA signal... not sure about this whole area? Combining sat service is much easier to combine with OTA or cable.

post #1665 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM

wajo: Are there actually differences in the 3575 to the 3576? After reading the thread here, I thought they were just paint color differences.

I was going to use an OTA tuner for input, since it does do direct video in, at least I think that's what I read.
post #1666 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Chuck44 -- Do you have any confidence that the TR-50 is real? Since I am now DVR-less I can't wait long ... Wasn't it supposed to be out in June 2008?

Since the company (EchoStar) has finally started answering questions, and has for the first time announced a price ($299) my comfidence level has
gone up quite a bit.
You can keep up with any news in this thread.
post #1667 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

wajo: Are there actually differences in the 3575 to the 3576? After reading the thread here, I thought they were just paint color differences.

I was going to use an OTA tuner for input, since it does do direct video in, at least I think that's what I read.

The ony things we KNOW are different in the 3576 are the case shape and color, and new Front-End (FE) Firmware, which I assume is for operating front-end components like the TUNER? They could have just rewritten that FE FW OR they could have installed a different tuner that required a diff. op system... pure speculation on my part for now. A few people have risked their warranties and given us a look inside the 3575 and the 2160, but no inside peeks on the 3576 yet.

They are NOT releasing that FE upgrade for the 3575, even tho their Support web site already has one FW upgrade for the 3575... it'd be a piece of cake to add it to the list, but they're not, so SOMETHING is significantly different in the front-end of the 3576!

On the OTA/cable thing, I think you're saying you'll feed the antenna to a line input on the 3576 thru an outboard tuner, with cable on the 3576's RF input... if so, that's a good idea!

post #1668 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes we will be at the game and I will be setting the recorder to record the Game to HDD. Then when I get home I will want to make a DVD copy of the game removing the Commercials. I collect Alabama Football on DVDs. I now have over 300 Games.
post #1669 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes we will be at the game and I will be setting the recorder to record the Game to HDD. Then when I get home I will want to make a DVD copy of the game removing the Commercials. I collect Alabama Football on DVDs. I now have over 300 Games.

Since the long shots in football are so hard for MPEG2 to capture/record with high PQ, and you never know if the TV network crew will bring its best equipment, you should record in the very best rec mode that can be dubbed later to a single DVD. Since you alread have 300 games, you know what their running time turns out to be after removing commercials, I assume. Using HSD, you can get 2:10:00 on a single DVD from a program recorded at 2-hr-SP rec mode (up to 12 hours max rec time in one session, so should cover a few OT's? ), and SP should give you nice looking std def (SD) recordings of the games.

post #1670 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:

On the OTA/cable thing, I think you're saying you'll feed the antenna to a line input on the 3576 thru an outboard tuner, with cable on the 3576's RF input... if so, that's a good idea!

Yes, that's what I plan ... I have a homemade 4 bay coat hanger antenna hooked to the RCA coupon box and it works great, got the design here -- Recommend all who have a desire in seeing what you can pick up OTA, build one of these 20 minute wonders, costs next to nothing but time.

Looks like they have put in some major changes in the 3576. I will go up to some Walmart's & Sam's in the next few days and see what they have.

Thanks ...
post #1671 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:

... I looked at Walmart and they had Feb 20, 2008(I think) date on the 3576 boxes.

Quote:

I'd stay away from anything in Feb, they were still selling 3575's then... might have just "repackaged" a 3575..

bill-tb

Just to let you know, I have a Feb. 2008 3576 and it works fine, and for your info I am on what wajo calls "Analog" Digital cable.

I also have an older 3575 that performs just as well.
post #1672 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I want to record a Football Game to my HDD and then later make a DVD of this game removing all the Commercials from the Game. Will it let me pause the dvd I'm making so it will not recorded the Commercials.

IIRC I recorded the Super Bowl from my cable HD STB(non DVR) to the HDD then I edited out the commercials and half time show. Then you end up with a bunch of separate video files which you have to place back in order for the HDD->DVD dubbing. That way you don't have to sit and watch, stopping and starting the recording. I'm not sure if this is the best way for PQ and I remember the whole game would not fit on a dvd in HQ mode. That's why I wish it could use DL disc.
post #1673 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:

My 10 year old TVIO has died, yeah I know, haven't been paying, just using it as a VCR type thing. But it was really handy while it lasted. New TIVO require subscriptions, had my fill of this nonsense ... So ...

Going to go buy a Phillips 3576, they have them at the local Sams and Walmart.

You can save some money here:
http://www.redtag.com/Philips_DVDR35...a11287582.html
and sometimes they are here
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_re...72&shop=OUTLET
but they are factory refurbished
post #1674 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM361 View Post

IIRC I recorded the Super Bowl from my cable HD STB(non DVR) to the HDD then I edited out the commercials and half time show. Then you end up with a bunch of separate video files which you have to place back in order for the HDD->DVD dubbing. That way you don't have to sit and watch, stopping and starting the recording. I'm not sure if this is the best way for PQ and I remember the whole game would not fit on a dvd in HQ mode. That's why I wish it could use DL disc.

With the 3575/3576/2160, you can edit out commercials using Scene Delete, which ends up leaving just the original single title/file, w/o the commercials when you go to watch or dub. Editing procedures here.

2-hr-SP mode should be good for a game shot with good equipment and broadcast on a digital channel, esp. if it's ESPN HD. Then, to get on one SL DVD, you have to reduce title time to 2:10:00 max.

post #1675 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM

wajo
Covert agent stressbox here:
In Sony's manuals for its LCD
TVs I note they recommend an "A+B " switch--A receives the cable input and B the antenna input. If one were to connect the single coax to the 3576 Ant In and a coax out to the TV would with the AB so configured enable switching from cable to OTA and preserve channel scans cable/OTA?
Have a Sony 27in CRT but am considering replacing it with a 47in LCD of some type and I would be able to receive digital/Hidef channels OTA
and regular channels on basic cable.
Or would a Mag 2160 added to receive only OTA be useful?
BTW you have done a great job in updating the posts at the beginning of this forum -- thanks.
Now about the DV10 ------ oh well, forget that.
Stressbox
post #1676 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

wajo
Covert agent stressbox here:
In Sony's manuals for its LCD TVs I note they recommend an "A+B " switch--A receives the cable input and B the antenna input. If one were to connect the single coax to the 3576 Ant In and a coax out to the TV would with the AB so configured enable switching from cable to OTA and preserve channel scans cable/OTA?

Have a Sony 27in CRT but am considering replacing it with a 47in LCD of some type and I would be able to receive digital/Hidef channels OTA
and regular channels on basic cable.

COVERT!? You just outed yourself... now you're "overt"... who are you again?

Don't know much about switches but I don't think you can scan for channels in the 3575/3576/2160 on the Preset for Antenna, then do another scan for Cable (Analog/Digital) cuz the 2nd scan will overwrite the 1st. (I played briefly with rabbit ears and a coupon converter box and remember having to re-scan for antenna channels to get anything on the rabbit ears, which wiped out my cable channels, I think???)

I can unserstand Sony's ref. to a A+B switch if the display were a tunerless monitor, which would have to be fed by one or more tunered devices... so, you could scan for cable channels in the DVDR, then use another device like a VCR or digital converter box for the OTA channels???

bill-tb here just mentioned a dual input setup using a converter box, which should work OK.

Satellite users can have multiple sources easier than antenna or cable people cuz the DVDR tuner can't tune the sat signal anyway, so the ANT IN on the DVDR is "wasted"... might as well hook SOMETHING to it!
Quote:

Or would a Mag 2160 added to receive only OTA be useful?
BTW you have done a great job in updating the posts at the beginning of this forum -- thanks.
Now about the DV10 ------ oh well, forget that.
Stressbox

Altho the 2160 hasn't been out very long, that's the unit I'd get to run side-by-side with the 3575 or 3576 since they operate the same way and the remotes are model-specific. Several people have posted in here, one with FOUR 3575/3576's trying to find ways to operate them all with the same remote (healthy separation is all we could come up with to this point).

I never knew so many people liked that 6-hour autorecord feature the 2160 has to replace the 3575/3576's Pause Live TV.

post #1677 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM

The Sony manuals on their site for all of their LCD TVs refer specifically to their LCD TVs which have tuners. They show diagrams of the switch and the output goes to the Ant in of the TV. I was just thinking we could interpose the 3576 in there some how.
Stressbox
post #1678 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I downloaded a manual for the KBL 40-46-52 XBR series and see the A-B switch, which refers you to a Channel Settings section, which in turn says you have to select Cable ON for cable or Cable Off for antenna, then says you have to "run Auto Program after changing the Cable setting." Farther down it says, "If you run Auto Program again, previously scanned channels will be overwritten with the newly scanned channels."

Seems to be the same as trying to get two sources into the DVDR thru its single RF input? The A-B switch pictured is just a way to connect two separate sources to the single RF input on the TV, but each has to be channel-scanned separately, overwriting the last scan, and both can't be used at the same time just by flipping the switch. (I thought maybe it had dual tuiners with separate inputs or something like that. Maybe the ones you're looking at do?)

post #1679 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 PM

Well, after reading some of the great reviews of this recorder I went out and got one yesterday at Sam's (Philips - 3576H/37). I brought it home, hooked it up and started experimenting. I bought this mainly to take my old VHS home movies, record them to the HDD, edit, and finally burn off to dvd. Sounds easy enough, right?

Unfortunately, after plugging in my VHS player to the front E2 I notice that there is some weird effect I haven't seen before. The picture seems to flicker every few seconds or so, like it gets brighter for a split second then evens out again. I thought this was odd. I then tried hooking it up through the E1 and the same thing happened. I am just using the yellow, white, and red composite cables, no s-video for E1 input.

I returned my Panasonic DMR-EZ48V to get this one instead and when I hooked up my VCR to the inputs on that everything was perfect. Does anyone think this is a flawed unit or has anyone had this happen to them before. Unfortunately this is unacceptable for archiving home videos. I think there is something wrong with the line inputs on this unit or all of the units, I dunno.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to whats going on here? If not can someone recommend a good unit as an alternate to this? I am really struggling here to find the right unit to archive my home movies. Is the Magnavox model basically the exact same as this one? I would expect I'll prolly have the same issue if I try that one as well.

Thanks,
Jim
post #1680 of 26028 Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 PM

You (naturally) went further than I. That switch looks like more trouble than it's worth.
However, what do you think would happen if I had another DVR the 2160, for example connected to an antenna only and plugged it into the AUX port of the Sony? My Sony CRT has an RF Aux so I imagine the new LCD would too.
You no doubt see that I could use that for OTA digital and HD and the basiccable/TV for everything else with the 3576.
I know I can get a pretty good digital signal OTA because I use my computer with a Pinnacle tuner and it brings in all local channels, both analog and digital. If it's Hi def I get that too -- my monitor is 1920x1200. What do you uncovertly think?
Stressbox
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page