Magnavox 557, 537, 535, 533, 515, 513, 2160A, 2160, 2080 & Philips 3576, 3575 - Page 569 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17041 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Might be a bad cable between the recorder and the TV, or the TV input has something wrong with it. Have you tried using a different type output on the recorder and different input on the TV?

Considering the problem is on all inputs, I considered the output cable. I get the same pattern (though not as pronounced) on component out as I do on S-video out. I haven't tried HDMI out yet.

Right now I'm leaning toward RFI either from the power outlet or nearby components, which I will test this evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17042 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Considering the problem is on all inputs, I considered the output cable. I get the same pattern (though not as pronounced) on component out as I do on S-video out. I haven't tried HDMI out yet.

Right now I'm leaning toward RFI either from the power outlet or nearby components, which I will test this evening.

Got a cordless phone in the house?
post #17043 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Nope, no cordless phone, nor any landline phone. Just our cellphones.
post #17044 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

..........Right now I'm leaning toward RFI either from the power outlet or nearby components, which I will test this evening.

"Herringbone" RF Interference is most often due to bad grounding of the cables shield(s), allowing the shield to act as an AM-FM antenna, especially if the cable is positioned vertically. Additionally, if one or more of your components are powered from different outlets than others, a poor ground at one of those outlets could also cause the problem your seeing.

To simplify your search task, suggest you start with only satellite box and TV connected. If picture is "clean", add additional component boxes one-at-a-time until "herringbone" reappears. At that point, replace the coax and/or audio-video cables to see if problem remains or clears.

Don't despair. Tracing RF Interference problems can take a lot of time and effort, but they are solveable. In most cases, the cause is easly and cheaply repairable, once you find the "culprit".

post #17045 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 View Post

To simplify your search task, suggest you start with only satellite box and TV connected. If picture is "clean", add additional component boxes one-at-a-time until "herringbone" reappears. At that point, replace the coax and/or audio-video cables to see if problem remains or clears.

I'm not sure I follow you. "start with only the satellite box and the TV connected", meaning, take the Mag out of the equation initially?, or have only the sat box and TV connected to the Mag? I only see the herringbone when viewing through the Mag, and the sat and TV are all that is connected to it. I have no herringbone viewing any other components connected, either before or after I introduced the Mag to the cluster.
post #17046 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Just thinking out loud, but if I hook up HDMI from the Mag to the TV, and still see the herringbone, I can rule out the connection from the Mag to the TV, as the HDMI connection is digital and wouldn't be affected by RF, correct?

I'm going to start my investigation down the path of least resistance, meaning the easiest initial reconfiguring/moving of components/cables/cords, the better.
post #17047 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I don't think that's correct... interference is a bitch, maybe even a Medusa!
post #17048 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Liked: 11
The quickest test you can do right away without disconnecting anything: turn on the system, see the herringbone there, reach to the coax and raise it away from all other connecting cables, especially away from the power cords. Hold it there in the air and see if the picture has improved at all. Do the same for HDMI cable. If the herringbone is gone or lessen, then the cable shielding is the problem.
post #17049 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

The quickest test you can do right away without disconnecting anything: turn on the system, see the herringbone there, reach to the coax and raise it away from all other connecting cables, especially away from the power cords. Hold it there in the air and see if the picture has improved at all. Do the same for HDMI cable. If the herringbone is gone or lessen, then the cable shielding is the problem.

Do you mean the satellite coax feeding the sat DVR? I have no coax connected to the Mag. Only S-Video/L/R in and out.

My daughter has had the TV tied up this evening, so I probably won't get to try anything until after her bedtime.
post #17050 of 25741 Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you mean the satellite coax feeding the sat DVR? I have no coax connected to the Mag. Only S-Video/L/R in and out.

My daughter has had the TV tied up this evening, so I probably won't get to try anything until after her bedtime.

Sorry, yes I meant the video cable.
post #17051 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

You can get more data on the VIP722K from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISH-Network...item27c08aed4d

Doesn't look like S-Video works on the second output. That's not a bad thing, since RWY output on a digital signal can be quite good. My sister went dish last year and she likes the portability. Hope this works for you.

The current 722K supplied by Dish does not include a s-video output. At least mine does not.
post #17052 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

With my older DVD Mag with no hard Drive I could save a frame of the recording to use as the title ICON for a DVD I do not see this option on the 515, Am I missing something?
post #17053 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

With my older DVD Mag with no hard Drive I could save a frame of the recording to use as the title ICON for a DVD I do not see this option on the 515, Am I missing something?

Yes, it's in the Edit menu for each title (one of the Edit options).

Here's a help file on it with some tips.
post #17054 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Wajo, And that will allow me to index the pic on the Harddrive similar to the pic on a DVD?

Question 2: If one is using the Mag as a DVR where you pause a live show to get some coffee than come back to continue watching a show - what do you do if the next show you want to watch is on a different channel and starts on the hour but you have not finished the show on the other channel because you paused it a few times? DO you set up the Mag to record the other channel?
post #17055 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wajo, And that will allow me to index the pic on the Harddrive similar to the pic on a DVD?

Unfortunately, you can't do the same on the HDD. Only way to "pick a frame" for the index pic on the HDD is to do a Front-Cut so that frame is 1st.

Quote:

Question 2: If one is using the Mag as a DVR where you pause a live show to get some coffee than come back to continue watching a show - what do you do if the next show you want to watch is on a different channel and starts on the hour but you have not finished the show on the other channel because you paused it a few times? DO you set up the Mag to record the other channel?

No, you can't have the machine switch to another channel or that would stop the buffer on the live show you paused and, assuming that live show hasn't ended yet, you'd miss the portion left after switching channels.

Only if you know that live show you paused has ended could you then quickly SAVE the buffer to the HDD, then switch to the other channel to watch, manually record, or set a timer to record it.
post #17056 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Hi There

Having problems with my Phillips 3576 Disc Reading, it records fine, i got about 9,631 hours of use time with it, some reason the darn thing lately has trouble reading certain discs, i plan on getting better quality discs from Supermedia store when i get a CHristmas gift card

Right now im using TDK Discs

(I know crappy kind) but all i could afford right now
post #17057 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

RE: Herringbone problem

Well, I never figured out exactly what the cause was, but I did find a workaround and it does appear to be the connection from the Mag to the TV. I swapped the HDMI and Component connections so that the Mag is connected via HDMI and the DVR is connected via component. No more herringbone on any sources.
post #17058 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerman3 View Post

Hi There

Having problems with my Phillips 3576 Disc Reading, it records fine, i got about 9,631 hours of use time with it, some reason the darn thing lately has trouble reading certain discs, i plan on getting better quality discs from Supermedia store when i get a CHristmas gift card

Right now im using TDK Discs

(I know crappy kind) but all i could afford right now

Burner might be getting a little old, esp. if you've been using 16X discs, or those land-fill discs burned just good enough originally that they played until land-fill time.

Prob. needs 8X discs, Taiyo Yuden Premium. There's a sale on now, $22.99/100, lowest price I've seen, thru 11/30.

Not my favorite white-top, but a great deal!
post #17059 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Burner might be getting a little old, esp. if you've been using 16X discs, or those land-fill discs burned just good enough originally that they played until land-fill time.

Prob. needs 8X discs, Taiyo Yuden Premium. There's a sale on now, $22.99/100, lowest price I've seen, thru 11/30.

Thanks for the link, I'm running low on my Verbatim +R's...refresh my memory, what are the benefits/differences between +R and -R again? I've been solely a +R user to this point, and probably won't change unless given a compelling reason.
post #17060 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link, I'm running low on my Verbatim +R's...refresh my memory, what are the benefits/differences between +R and -R again? I've been solely a +R user to this point, and probably won't change unless given a compelling reason.

I'd stick with +R for the reasons stated in this help file.
post #17061 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

"Unfortunately, you can't do the same on the HDD. Only way to "pick a frame" for the index pic on the HDD is to do a Front-Cut so that frame is 1st."

A work around but a lot of early tv shows start seconds to minutes before the Title of the show or name of that episode comes up on the screen.

I will ask for Index Pic on Hard Drive in the 518 version

Oh and thanks for the scenario on DVR usage.
post #17062 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
While I'm using Magnavox, Philips and Panasonic recorders, beginning in 2008 I've standardized upon 8x TY Premium Line DVD-R media for all my recorders. My Panasonic recorders perform better with DVD-R media than DVD+R media. Magnavox and Philips recorders work equally well with DVD+R or DVD-R media.

I try to keep at least 2,500 blank 8x TY Premium Line DVD-Rs on hand at all times. Yesterday's SMS order included 300 more TY DVDs, around a two month supply.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #17063 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Unfortunately, you can't do the same on the HDD. Only way to "pick a frame" for the index pic on the HDD is to do a Front-Cut so that frame is 1st."

A work around but a lot of early tv shows start seconds to minutes before the Title of the show or name of that episode comes up on the screen.

I will ask for Index Pic on Hard Drive in the 518 version

Oh and thanks for the scenario on DVR usage.

An advantage I have on creating index pics on the HDD is that all my content is either on demand or being transferred from another DVR, so what I do is pause the source material on the title frame, record that for a split second, press pause on the Mag, and then go back to the beginning of the source material and then resume recording on the Mag. I thus have an automatic built-in indexing pic process for all my HDD recordings, and it saves me the step of having to do the index pic editing on the DVD titles.
post #17064 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks wajo, for the link comparing the +R -R formats...I knew it was there, but couldn't find it on a cursory search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

While I'm using Magnavox, Philips and Panasonic recorders, beginning in 2008 I've standardized upon 8x TY Premium Line DVD-R media for all my recorders. My Panasonic recorders perform better with DVD-R media than DVD+R media. Magnavox and Philips recorders work equally well with DVD+R or DVD-R media.

I try to keep at least 2,500 blank 8x TY Premium Line DVD-Rs on hand at all times. Yesterday's SMS order included 300 more TY DVDs, around a two month supply.

Yikes, and I thought I was a DVD junkie. I have over 800 full discs burned already, and I go thru about a 200-disc supply each year.
post #17065 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Okay, I have to ask. Why do you need so many blanks? How many have you already burned?

The wife is on my case about all the DVD's I have burned and stored, perhaps 300 with two movie titles per. Maybe I can tell her she is lucky because there is a guy on AVS that makes my collection look like a spit in the ocean!

Quote:

post #17066 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

Okay, I have to ask. Why do you need so many blanks? How many have you already burned?

The wife is on my case about all the DVD's I have burned and stored, perhaps 300 with two movie titles per. Maybe I can tell her she is lucky because there is a guy on AVS that makes my collection look like a spit in the ocean!

For backup and saving physical storage space purposes, get a 2TB external hard drive and use your computer to rip images of all your burned discs. Then you can store away the physical discs hidden in a closet somewhere.
post #17067 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

I sometimes trip over my wife's shoes that she doesn't have room anymore in her closet to store them. Not once has she tripped over my DVDs.
post #17068 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post

My home-recorded archive currently has more than 9,000 DVDs.

Here's a September 2010 photo showing the then-current storage arrangement for around 7,000 of the archived DVDs.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #17069 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Already showing as sold out.
post #17070 of 25741 Old 11-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

My home-recorded archive currently has more than 9,000 DVDs.

And I thought I had it tough finding what I want when I want with only1/3 that many.

BTW, I've been buying only TYG02s from SMS for quite some time. They may be better than average, but they're far from perfect. One of my Pioneers is really picky about blanks, liking to fail to complete HS copy nearly half the time using them, apparently because it always tries to burn at 16X regardless of the media's capability. I put the "failed" ones in a PC burner and they show speed in K3B in sections as low as 2X, which nevertheless can write to whatever blank space is left on them, same as my other Pioneer. I had just as good if not better luck with locally obtained JVC brand DVD-Rs while they were available until nearly a year or so ago.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page